PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Duke, Justin Robinson!

Native
12-16-2014, 08:46 PM
Looks like Duke has given a preferred walk-on spot to Justin Robinson (http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-will-add-David-Robinsons-son-Justin-to-roster-in-2015-33919110). He's a 6' 7" stretch four who happens to be the son of David "The Admiral" Robinson. Justin applied Early Decision to Duke and got in on his own merit.

It can't hurt to have that kind of pedigree on the roster. Great kid, great student, great family. Welcome, Justin!

GGLC
12-16-2014, 08:47 PM
Awesome! Welcome, Justin!

OldPhiKap
12-16-2014, 08:51 PM
Welcome, Justin!

One of my favorite college games while I was at Duke was watching us play your dad's team.

Loved your dad, glad Duke won!

Kedsy
12-16-2014, 08:53 PM
It can't hurt to have that kind of pedigree on the roster.

Plus, if we really end up with only 8 scholarship players next season, as some have surmised, Justin may end up being needed from time to time. Nice get.

lotusland
12-16-2014, 09:11 PM
I'm hoping for a sudden growth spurt and a 7ft stretch 4. From this YouTube clip it appears that he never misses and makes a great play every time:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLjEMD-CtfY

Will he get a scholly as long as Duke has an extra to burn?

Henderson
12-16-2014, 09:30 PM
Do I understand correctly that a preferred walk-on is guaranteed a spot on the team but not offered a scholly?

Anywhoo, welcome aboard, Justin Robinson.

OldPhiKap
12-16-2014, 09:33 PM
Do I understand correctly that a preferred walk-on is guaranteed a spot on the team but not offered a scholly?

Anywhoo, welcome aboard, Justin Robinson.

I think that's right.

His dad must have some money or something to do that!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-16-2014, 09:40 PM
Wow, this is cool news. Look forward to seeing The Admiral in the stands.

Henderson
12-16-2014, 09:41 PM

Prolly a good poker player.

-jk
12-16-2014, 09:41 PM
I think that's right.

Nah... Just K building a "program"...

-jk

duketaylor
12-16-2014, 09:47 PM
Nah... Just K building a "program"...

-jk

I wish K would stop "building a program" and go ahead and finish it. Kinda like a doc or attorney "practicing" his craft. How long does one need to "practice?" Allen Iverson would like to know;)

OldPhiKap
12-16-2014, 09:54 PM
"K can't recruit the big men['s kids]"

BD80
12-16-2014, 10:16 PM
Wow, this is cool news. Look forward to seeing The Admiral in the stands.

I'd hate to be sitting behind The Admiral.

FerryFor50
12-16-2014, 10:19 PM
Any speculation on:

- how many minutes he should get
- how soon till he transfers

Or too soon? :p

BD80
12-16-2014, 10:26 PM
Any speculation on:

Just wait until you see this kid in the summer pick up games. David will soon be known as "Justin's Dad"

Merlindevildog91
12-16-2014, 10:47 PM
This is way cool. Always been a big fan of The Admiral. Welcome, Justin!

IIRC, David Robinson was interested in SUBMARINES at the Naval Academy, but during his time there grew too tall to be in one. Who knows if Justin has another growth spurt in him....

miramar
12-16-2014, 11:30 PM
It seems that every December we learn that someone is leaving the program, so it's nice to find out that instead someone is coming in. Now I'll start worrying that he'll have to sit out a year and won't be eligible until the second semester...

No matter what, Coach K must hold some kind of record for players whose fathers (and even some mothers) were college athletes; or NBA/NFL players, coaches, and executives; or franchise owners (which includes former manager Nick Arison, currently CEO of the Heat).

The common denominator is that parents who know about sports want their sons playing for Coach K, which is a characteristic that ol' Roy doesn't seem to share. Having an uncle named McAdoo doesn't count.

mattman91
12-16-2014, 11:41 PM
Curious if he had any scholarship offers from other division one schools.

Edouble
12-17-2014, 01:24 AM
Well, the elephant in the room (at least in my room) is that it is pretty well known that David Robinson was 6'6" as a high school senior. Young Justin is 6'7".

Do we have a future seven footer here, potentially?

OldPhiKap
12-17-2014, 03:17 AM
It seems that every December we learn that someone is leaving the program, so it's nice to find out that instead someone is coming in. Now I'll start worrying that he'll have to sit out a year and won't be eligible until the second semester...

No matter what, Coach K must hold some kind of record for players whose fathers (and even some mothers) were college athletes; or NBA/NFL players, coaches, and executives; or franchise owners (which includes former manager Nick Arison, currently CEO of the Heat).

The common denominator is that parents who know about sports want their sons playing for Coach K, which is a characteristic that ol' Roy doesn't seem to share. Having an uncle named McAdoo doesn't count.

Well, Roy had Larry Drew's son. I am sure that went well.

Oh, wait. It was an epic failure, with Mrs. Drew calling Roy out after LD II transferred.

My bad.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-17-2014, 04:36 AM

Michigan seems like their entire roster was made up of sons and nephews of players I watched in the 80s and 90s recently.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/29/sports/ncaabasketball/29michigan.html

Also, not sure what you mean about sittig out a year or a semester. Justin Robinson is a high school senior who seems would be eligible next Fall when he matriculates.

Henderson
12-17-2014, 08:36 AM
Also, not sure what you mean about sittig out a year or a semester. Justin Robinson is a high school senior who seems would be eligible next Fall when he matriculates.

I think miramar was making with the funny schtuff.

CameronBornAndBred
12-17-2014, 08:56 AM
I am looking forward to seeing Justin Robinson block the shot of Justin Robinson when we play VT.

http://247sports.com/Player/Justin-Robinson-34996

mattman91
12-17-2014, 09:52 AM
If he grows another couple cinder blocks, he may be able to earn some minutes in a few years.

Is he our answer to Luke Maye?

Bluedog
12-17-2014, 09:55 AM
Well, the elephant in the room (at least in my room) is that it is pretty well known that David Robinson was 6'6" as a high school senior. Young Justin is 6'7".

Do we have a future seven footer here, potentially?

His dad thinks he's still growing ...

Can anybody confirm that 6'6" Justin Robinson (David Robinson's son) will matriculate at Duke and be a walk-on for the basketball team?

airowe's tweet: Duke's early acceptance letters out last night RT @KvnBrry: @BlueDevilLair David Robinson's son Justin committed to Duke? Preferred walk-on?

"Justin loves playing basketball," [David] Robinson said. "Certainly, he's going to grow in his body. He's already 6-6, so he's going to be bigger and stronger and everything. He's got potential."
The Admiral comes to Victoria (https://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2014/jan/14/ko_david_robinson_stj_011513_230233/)

MCFinARL
12-17-2014, 10:04 AM
His dad thinks he's still growing ...

Yes, although that article was from last January--so if he is still growing, he's not growing very fast. We can still hope for the late spurt, though.

flyingdutchdevil
12-17-2014, 10:07 AM
Yes, although that article was from last January--so if he is still growing, he's not growing very fast. We can still hope for the late spurt, though.

More important question: does Justin have anything close to David Robinson's body? I mean...just look at it

Henderson
12-17-2014, 10:33 AM

Dad may have been talking about filling out physically rather than getting taller. Or his son may have stopped or slowed his vertical growth after January.

Put the kid in the weight room and introduce him to some 'cue. Let him hang from the basket with cinder blocks around his ankles to stretch himself out. Whatever. I just love the idea of a such a bright young guy with Admiralty genes on the team.

MChambers
12-17-2014, 10:36 AM
Put him in contact with Mike Dunleavy, so that he can learn how to grow 5 or 6 inches between committing and junior year.

OldPhiKap
12-17-2014, 10:38 AM
Navy man sending his kid to an Army coach. Dogs and cats living together . . . .

TKG
12-17-2014, 11:07 AM
Does this mean we will resurrect the "Abandon Ship! Abandon Ship!" taunt from the 1986 Eastern Regional Finals when the Admiral makes his first appearance in Cameron? I could not participate then because I was seated in the middle of the Navy section.

Potato Head
12-17-2014, 11:36 AM
My wildly irresponsible projection based on that short YouTube clip is that he doesn't seem like someone who is going to play that much if at all in the next year or two, but depending on improvement could either be a nice role player or maybe even a starter by his Jr/Sr season. I hope he sticks around, because I miss having four year guys. He and his dad seem committed to the school, so here's hoping!

Henderson
12-17-2014, 12:14 PM
My wildly irresponsible projection based on that short YouTube clip is that he doesn't seem like someone who is going to play that much if at all in the next year or two, but depending on improvement could either be a nice role player or maybe even a starter by his Jr/Sr season. I hope he sticks around, because I miss having four year guys. He and his dad seem committed to the school, so here's hoping!

Well he will be a walk on....

CameronBornAndBred
12-17-2014, 12:18 PM
More important question: does Justin have anything close to David Robinson's body? I mean...just look at it

Pops looked a bit different before he spent a few years in the Navy...

burnspbesq
12-17-2014, 12:38 PM
Coach K must hold some kind of record for players whose fathers (and even some mothers) were college athletes; or NBA/NFL players, coaches, and executives; or franchise owners (which includes former manager Nick Arison, currently CEO of the Heat).

Would be nice if Coach P could figure that one out. Mark Alarie's daughter, who is a junior this year, can seriously play.

ChillinDuke
12-17-2014, 01:03 PM
Any speculation on:

It's never too soon...

Or too late...

- Chillin

mattman91
01-05-2015, 12:57 PM
Thought I would share this interview (http://duke.scout.com/story/1495691-one-on-one-with-justin-robinson) with Justin.

Henderson
01-05-2015, 01:21 PM
Thought I would share this interview (http://duke.scout.com/story/1495691-one-on-one-with-justin-robinson) with Justin.

Premium content for subscibers only. Can you summarize without violating copyright?

mattman91
01-05-2015, 01:43 PM
Premium content for subscibers only. Can you summarize without violating copyright?

I wasn't aware this was premium, sorry about that. You may just have to have a free scout.com account, I'm positive I am not subscribed to a premium membership.

A few key points:

- Justin will redshirt next season to get stronger and learn how to play with the team
- Notre Dame also offered him a preferred walk on spot. Columbia and a few other school reached out to him, but did not offer.
- "The Admiral" speaks highly of Duke. Duke has been Justin's dream school since he was 6.
- Describes himself as a strecth 4 offensively and a good post defender.
- Thinks he can earn a scholarship in the next few years.

Henderson
01-05-2015, 01:48 PM
I wasn't aware this was premium, sorry about that. You may just have to have a free scout.com account, I'm positive I am not subscribed to a premium membership.

A few key points:

- Justin will redshirt next season to get stronger and learn how to play with the team
- Notre Dame also offered him a preferred walk on spot. Columbia and a few other school reached out to him, but did not offer.
- "The Admiral" speaks highly of Duke. Duke has been Justin's dream school since he was 6.

Thanks!

sagegrouse
01-05-2015, 03:04 PM

A few key points:

David Robinson grew several inches while enrolled at Navy. Surely, someone has done a bone joint analysis on Justin; I wonder what it shows.

flyingdutchdevil
01-05-2015, 03:07 PM
David Robinson grew several inches while enrolled at Navy. Surely, someone has done a bone joint analysis on Justin; I wonder what it shows.

Well, he did say he wants to be a "stretch" 4.

GGLC
01-05-2015, 03:13 PM

I'd spork you for this if I could.

devildeac
01-05-2015, 03:18 PM

I'd spork you for this if I could.

s-t-r-e-t-c-h s-p-o-r-k-s g-r-a-n-t-e-d-!-!

CharlestonDave
05-08-2015, 03:41 AM
Not sure of his name, is it Jordan or Justin or neither?

Anyway, I saw that he just got a scholarship from Coach K and I understand that this year he will get very little playing time.

Is he someone who might develop into a very decent player for Duke in the next 3-4 years ? I know virtually nothing about him .

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thank you.

moonpie23
05-08-2015, 07:52 AM
welcome to the family Lil' admiral...

MChambers
05-08-2015, 08:16 AM
I've got a copy, but it doesn't give his expected height and reach in cinder blocks, so it's useless here.

CDu
05-08-2015, 08:23 AM
Not sure of his name, is it Jordan or Justin or neither?

Anyway, I saw that he just got a scholarship from Coach K and I understand that this year he will get very little playing time.

Is he someone who might develop into a very decent player for Duke in the next 3-4 years ? I know virtually nothing about him .

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thank you.

Justin. Not expected to ever be a major minutes guy at Duke. Probably not even a minor minutes guy. Sounds more like a smart kid taking advantage of bloodlines to get a Duke education, joining the team to be a practice player. But you just never know what can/will happen in 3/4 years.

Skitzle
05-08-2015, 08:42 AM
Sounds more like a smart kid taking advantage of bloodlines to get a Duke education, joining the team to be a practice player. But you just never know what can/will happen in 3/4 years.

There is no evidence that suggests Justin got help from K for acceptance. As I understand it, Justin got in first, then talked to K about walking-on.

Jason Evans should have more (because of the interview).

I can't imagine K sticking his neck out for a preferred walk-on. I think Justin got in on his own merits.

Dev11
05-08-2015, 09:18 AM
There is no evidence that suggests Justin got help from K for acceptance. As I understand it, Justin got in first, then talked to K about walking-on.

The Justin Robinson podcast interview:

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?35285-DBR-Podcast-Episode-12-Featuring-an-Interview-with-Justin-Robinson!&p=780296#post780296

CDu
05-08-2015, 10:05 AM

I can't imagine K sticking his neck out for a preferred walk-on. I think Justin got in on his own merits.

Good to know. My point was less about how/why he got into Duke and more about his expected contributions on the court. But sorry to have indicated that he may have been aided in enrollment by basketball if that is not the case. He said in the podcast that his recruitment started at the same time that he started his application, so it is unclear which really came first. Still, definitely wasn't meaning to disparage the kid's academics.

Either way, the larger point here is that he's not expected to give us too much in terms of playing time. Of course, if he does happen to grow late like his dad did, maybe he'll crack the rotation. We're talking about a kid who had no other D-1 offers, and had only some conversations with Rice, Navy, and Columbia. So him becoming a game-time contributor at Duke would be quite an upset.

sagegrouse
05-08-2015, 10:18 AM
Good to know. My point was less about how/why he got into Duke and more about his expected contributions on the court. But sorry to have indicated that he may have been aided in enrollment by basketball if that is not the case. He said in the podcast that his recruitment started at the same time that he started his application, so it is unclear which really came first. Still, definitely wasn't meaning to disparage the kid's academics.

Lessee... Imagine you're David Robinson. Your 6-7 son, a basketball player, tells you he is seriously considering applying to Duke. What is the probability you DON'T call Coach K and give him the news. 0.01? Lower?

Now, lessee... You're Coach K and get this call from David Robinson. What is the chance you don't follow-up by scouting his son? Pretty negligible, I would say. And, if he seems like a reasonable prospect, wouldn't you express your interest to the Director of Admissions?

Now, lessee... You're VP of Development at Duke and you hear about David Robinson's son applying to Duke...

I dunno, guys, but it sounds like young Justin had a lot of momentum behind his application.

MChambers
05-08-2015, 10:31 AM
Lessee... Imagine you're David Robinson. Your 6-7 son, a basketball player, tells you he is seriously considering applying to Duke. What is the probability you DON'T call Coach K and give him the news. 0.01? Lower?

Now, lessee... You're Coach K and get this call from David Robinson. What is the chance you don't follow-up by scouting his son? Pretty negligible, I would say. And, if he seems like a reasonable prospect, wouldn't you express your interest to the Director of Admissions?

Now, lessee... You're VP of Development at Duke and you hear about David Robinson's son applying to Duke...

I dunno, guys, but it sounds like young Justin had a lot of momentum behind his application.
You're assuming Justin told his dad. Maybe he did and maybe he didn't. I know a kid who didn't tell his parents or anyone else he applied to Harvard until he got in.

oldnavy
05-08-2015, 10:39 AM
welcome to the family Lil' admiral...

Lil Admiral... that's good, but how about "The Commodore"?

Ichabod Drain
05-08-2015, 10:42 AM

Are we trying to prove Justin got inside help to be accepted to Duke? If so, I'm not sure why. If not, then why even go down that thought path?

CDu
05-08-2015, 10:53 AM
Are we trying to prove Justin got inside help to be accepted to Duke? If so, I'm not sure why. If not, then why even go down that thought path?

Yeah, as the guy who originally said it, I certainly wasn't intending it to mean anything nefarious. I tend to suspect he might have gotten a little help from the bball office, but that was very very very far from the point of my post. It really is immaterial to the discussion how he got admitted; the point of discussion is and should be what role he will have on the basketball team.

OZ
05-08-2015, 11:01 AM
We're talking about a kid who had no other D-1 offers.

Could we not have said the same thing about the Curry brothers? With a conditioned physical development and great coaching, who knows what might happen in four years?

Des Esseintes
05-08-2015, 11:06 AM
Could we not have said the same thing about the Curry brothers? With a conditioned physical development and great coaching, who knows what might happen in four years?

Liberty and Davidson are D1 schools.

davekay1971
05-08-2015, 11:37 AM

The most famous little admiral I can think of would be Lord Admiral Horatio Nelson. A bit of a mouthful for a nickname, but we're Duke. And, anyway, all Nelson ever did was win, baby!

Justin "Lord Admiral Horatio Nelson" Robinson. How hard is that?

Edouble
05-08-2015, 11:44 AM
The most famous little admiral I can think of would be Lord Admiral Horatio Nelson. A bit of a mouthful for a nickname, but we're Duke. And, anyway, all Nelson ever did was win, baby!

Justin "Lord Admiral Horatio Nelson" Robinson. How hard is that?

I like "The Ensign".

Bluedog
05-08-2015, 11:51 AM

Dangerous Assumptions: You're assuming Justin told his dad. Maybe he did and maybe he didn't. I know a kid who didn't tell his parents or anyone else he applied to Harvard until he got in.

It's dangerous to assume Justin told his dad he was applying to Duke? I would imagine that's the case for 99% of applicants....Nothing nefarious about the suggestion that certainly the admissions committee was aware of who Justin was -- even if Justin didn't initiate it -- particularly after he put his father's name of "David Robinson" and his occupation. I'm not suggesting Justin didn't get into Duke ED "on his own" -- but as Duke does with all of its admits, they try to understand their background, what they'd contribute to the Duke community, etc. Nothing wrong with that, Duke is trying to build a strong class that will contribute to the university and make it a better place. I'm sure Duke was aware Todd Zafirovky's dad was the CEO of Nortel, they realized an applicant named Will Bumpus was the son of Gayle King, knew who they were dealing with when somebody put their father of "Bruce Springsteen" and "Rob Lowe," etc. They're smart people in admissions. ;)

In any event, welcome to Duke Justin!! And congrats on the scholarship. I'm sure he'll work his butt off and contribute nicely to the Duke basketball program and community at large.

CDu
05-08-2015, 12:00 PM

Well, both Curry brothers had plenty of D-1 offers. Both were heavily recruited by the mid-majors: Steph by, among others, Davidson and VCU. Seth by, among others, Davidson, William and Mary, and Liberty. Robinson "had some conversations with" Rice, Navy, and Columbia, but was not really recruited by anyone. Furthermore, Seth was an honorable mention McDonald's All-American. So not really at all comparable to Robinson.

Also, the Curry brothers are the exception to the rule, not the expectation.

As I said, who knows what Robinson might be able to do in 3-4 years? I'm not by any means ruling out a massive jump in his game for any number of reasons. But the expectation should be that he doesn't play meaningful minutes at Duke; if he does, that should be considered a complete bonus surprise.

cspan37421
05-08-2015, 12:04 PM
The real question: can he challenge Marshall Plumlee for career 3-pt FG accuracy?

Note: At goduke.com, Marshall lists his favorite athlete as David Robinson. Coincidence?

gam7
05-08-2015, 12:25 PM
Furthermore, Seth was an honorable mention McDonald's All-American.

McD's has an honorable mention list? I don't think I have heard of one before. Would be interested in seeing a list of historical McD honorable mentions for fun (yes, I consider that to be fun) if you know of a link...

Ichabod Drain
05-08-2015, 12:28 PM
McD's has an honorable mention list? I don't think I have heard of one before. Would be interested in seeing a list of historical McD honorable mentions for fun (yes, I consider that to be fun) if you know of a link...

I could be wrong but I would assume it's all the kids who were nominated but not selected. There's a large list that comes out a few months before the selection with all the possible candidates.

Henderson
05-08-2015, 12:34 PM
I could be wrong but I would assume it's all the kids who were nominated but not selected. There's a large list that comes out a few months before the selection with all the possible candidates.

It's a huge list designed to keep all the burghers of small towns across America and Canada excited about their local guys.

CDu
05-08-2015, 12:35 PM

Yes, that is what it is.

English
05-08-2015, 12:35 PM
Yeah, as the guy who originally said it, I certainly wasn't intending it to mean anything nefarious. I tend to suspect he might have gotten a little help from the bball office, but that was very very very far from the point of my post. It really is immaterial to the discussion how he got admitted; the point of discussion is and should be what role he will have on the basketball team.

This thread has taken an odd turn. I think it's fair to consider the possibility that Justin earned admission to Duke outside of a complete vacuum without any external resources besides his board scores, HS GPA, and application essay. That's typically, although maybe not always, how the world works. When making a rebuttal argument to an innocuous statement, by all means, cite the absolute extreme outlier. The kid who, presumably wasn't an athlete, getting into Harvard without mentioning anything to anyone. Or, the MVP of the NBA who wasn't recruited by an ACC school. While we're talking about it, we should consider all recruits outside the RSCI top-100 with a lens toward Frank Kaminsky, because that's productive.

Sorry, rant over. Back to the discussion, my hope is that, after some years in the program, Justin develops into a nice role player (or practice player, to keeps expectations modest) who adds continuity to the roster...oh, and outperforms Luke Maye. And perhaps Kenny Williams. And Frank Kaminsky and/or Steph Curry!

CDu
05-08-2015, 12:42 PM
This thread has taken an odd turn. I think it's fair to consider the possibility that Justin earned admission to Duke outside of a complete vacuum without any external resources besides his board scores, HS GPA, and application essay. That's typically, although maybe not always, how the world works. When making a rebuttal argument to an innocuous statement, by all means, cite the absolute extreme outlier. The kid who, presumably wasn't an athlete, getting into Harvard without mentioning anything to anyone. Or, the MVP of the NBA who wasn't recruited by an ACC school. While we're talking about it, we should consider all recruits outside the RSCI top-100 with a lens toward Frank Kaminsky, because that's productive.

Sorry, rant over. Back to the discussion, my hope is that, after some years in the program, Justin develops into a nice role player (or practice player, to keeps expectations modest) who adds continuity to the roster...oh, and outperforms Luke Maye. And perhaps Kenny Williams. And Frank Kaminsky and/or Steph Curry!

Couldn't agree more on both counts. Robinson probably got a boost one way or the other by being David Robinson's son. But that really is immaterial to the discussion. And the Curry brothers (who were also more highly thought of in high school than Robinson) are by far the exception, not the expectation.

I hope Robinson will prove to be a productive member of the program. But to expect anything beyond a practice player is expecting too much at this point. Anything can happen, but that doesn't mean we should expect the outlier to happen.

sagegrouse
05-08-2015, 01:21 PM
It's dangerous to assume Justin told his dad he was applying to Duke? I would imagine that's the case for 99% of applicants....Nothing nefarious about the suggestion that certainly the admissions committee was aware of who Justin was -- even if Justin didn't initiate it -- particularly after he put his father's name of "David Robinson" and his occupation. I'm not suggesting Justin didn't get into Duke ED "on his own" -- but as Duke does with all of its admits, they try to understand their background, what they'd contribute to the Duke community, etc. Nothing wrong with that, Duke is trying to build a strong class that will contribute to the university and make it a better place. I'm sure Duke was aware Todd Zafirovky's dad was the CEO of Nortel, they realized an applicant named Will Bumpus was the son of Gayle King, knew who they were dealing with when somebody put their father of "Bruce Springsteen" and "Rob Lowe," etc. They're smart people in admissions. ;)

In any event, welcome to Duke Justin!! And congrats on the scholarship. I'm sure he'll work his butt off and contribute nicely to the Duke basketball program and community at large.

Sorry, I was speculating and intended no disrespect -- but heck, competitive advantages are competitive advantages.

Kindly, Sage
'Oh, and for what it's worth, 43-down in today's NY Times' crossword puzzle is a six-letter word and a clue -- "Leader of five N.C.A.A basketball championships for Duke, informally"'

flyingdutchdevil
05-08-2015, 02:56 PM
Sorry, I was speculating and intended no disrespect -- but heck, competitive advantages are competitive advantages.

Kindly, Sage
'Oh, and for what it's worth, 43-down in today's NY Times' crossword puzzle is a six-letter word and a clue -- "Leader of five N.C.A.A basketball championships for Duke, informally"'

Nan Brodhead?

devildeac
05-08-2015, 04:17 PM
Nan Brodhead?

CoachK?

Badass?

CDu
05-08-2015, 04:35 PM
CoachK?

Badass?

Must be coachk. Nate James has only led us to 3 national championships.

oldnavy
05-08-2015, 05:41 PM
I like "The Ensign".

Well that is a long way from Admiral, actually 9 promotions away!

The rank of Commodore, when it was still a rank was actually a one-star "Admiral". The story goes, that Commodores (not the singing group) didn't like not being recognized as "Admirals" so the Commodore rank was changed to Rear Admiral Lower-Half. Rear Admiral Upper-Half is a two star, Vice Admiral is a 3 star, and Admiral a 4 star. All flag officers usually are called "Admiral" unofficially, but the only true Admiral is a 4 star.

Fleet Admirals, or 5 stars are very rare and I believe the last time they have been in place was WWII and shortly after. I believe there has only been 4 or 5 Fleet Admirals in history. Halsey, Leahy, King, Nimitz are the only ones I believe, although Spurance may have briefly held the rank, but I don't think so.

So... if we want to dub Justin a Little Admiral we should go with Commodore or Rear Admiral Lower Half. I like Commodore myself.

MarkD83
05-08-2015, 06:10 PM
Well that is a long way from Admiral, actually 9 promotions away!

The rank of Commodore, when it was still a rank was actually a one-star "Admiral". The story goes, that Commodores (not the singing group) didn't like not being recognized as "Admirals" so the Commodore rank was changed to Rear Admiral Lower-Half. Rear Admiral Upper-Half is a two star, Vice Admiral is a 3 star, and Admiral a 4 star. All flag officers usually are called "Admiral" unofficially, but the only true Admiral is a 4 star.

Fleet Admirals, or 5 stars are very rare and I believe the last time they have been in place was WWII and shortly after. I believe there has only been 4 or 5 Fleet Admirals in history. Halsey, Leahy, King, Nimitz are the only ones I believe, although Spurance may have briefly held the rank, but I don't think so.

So... if we want to dub Justin a Little Admiral we should go with Commodore or Rear Admiral Lower Half. I like Commodore myself.

The head coach is from Army, a co-captain is going into the army....I think the nickname needs to come from a different branch of the armed services. Otherwise there will be a lot of friction on army-navy day.

Indoor66
05-08-2015, 06:47 PM
I vote for Lt. J.G. Let him grow into some rank....

devildeac
05-08-2015, 07:31 PM

Commodore(s)?

This might work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg-ivWxy5KE

ikiru36
05-08-2015, 11:14 PM
The rank of Commodore, when it was still a rank was actually a one-star "Admiral". The story goes, that Commodores (not the singing group) didn't like not being recognized as "Admirals" so the Commodore rank was changed to Rear Admiral Lower-Half. Rear Admiral Upper-Half is a two star...

The classification history is interesting and much appreciated, and meaning no disrespect but any title containing both the word "rear" and the words "lower half" would likely not be my first choice ;o)

Go "Com-mo-dore Rob-in-son", go Blue Devils, GTHCGTH!!!!

OldPhiKap
05-09-2015, 06:59 AM

Way too Vandy, although I know better than to argue with a(n old) Navy man.

How about " the second coming of David Robinson?" Not that pressure would follow of course.

Seriously, seems like a solid kid and his dad always seemed to be an upright guy (to say the least). Welcome to the family, run your own race. Earn your own name. I am sure he has had to do that since he was in middle school, and can stand on his own merits.

Welcome, and glad for the scholly!