PDA

View Full Version : Jabari Tears ACL

BD80
12-15-2014, 11:36 PM
Jabari's knee buckled on a drive, carried off court. Initial report: sprained knee.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-15-2014, 11:36 PM
Jabari carried off the court tonight with a nasty looking injury they are calling a "sprained knee."

Get well, big guy.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-15-2014, 11:37 PM
Looks like we were all watching the first 30 sec of Sportscenter.

Get well, Parker.

Phoenix22
12-16-2014, 12:32 AM
I was at the game. It didnt look that bad live, but the replays do not look nice. Hopefully its only a sprain. Not the way I had hoped my first seeing Jabari live would go.

Oriole Way
12-16-2014, 03:31 AM
If it's a dislocated kneecap (https://twitter.com/ProFootballDoc/status/544727042982293504), Jabari's looking at about 4 weeks of recovery time - if no surgery is needed. And he would be at risk of dislocating it again. If he needs surgery, it would be closer to 12 weeks of recovery time.

cspan37421
12-16-2014, 06:21 AM
I am familiar with this injury ... it can cause soft tissue damage, and there is an elevated chance of recurrence. It can occur without any contact at all. On the plus side, there is a surgical technique (I forget the name) which can be performed on a fully grown adult that cannot be performed on a still-growing kid, so there may be more solutions for Jabari than we faced, should he need surgery at all.

One risk factor with this is biological - a relatively high position for the patella. But I would think he'd have had it happen by now if that was the case.

I sure hope he recovers well. After what we went through, I hate to see anyone have it happen.

SupaDave
12-16-2014, 11:12 AM
I am familiar with this injury ... it can cause soft tissue damage, and there is an elevated chance of recurrence. It can occur without any contact at all. On the plus side, there is a surgical technique (I forget the name) which can be performed on a fully grown adult that cannot be performed on a still-growing kid, so there may be more solutions for Jabari than we faced, should he need surgery at all.

One risk factor with this is biological - a relatively high position for the patella. But I would think he'd have had it happen by now if that was the case.

I sure hope he recovers well. After what we went through, I hate to see anyone have it happen.

Just curious here, but what age group are you referring to? Jabari's only freaking 19 and dare I say it - probably still growing. Your post only made me MORE concerned.

Edouble
12-16-2014, 01:00 PM
Just curious here, but what age group are you referring to? Jabari's only freaking 19 and dare I say it - probably still growing. Your post only made me MORE concerned.

Yep. Bones can keep growing until as late as 22.

cspan37421
12-16-2014, 03:47 PM

My son had 2 knee dislocations (3 months apart) in basketball when he was 13. He's now 15 yr old, 6'3" and 220, and had a non-contact broken tibia in basketball this year, right through his growth plate.

I forgot Jabari was still SO young, but even at 19, odds are he's done growing taller. He didn't get taller in his year at Duke did he?

Anyway best wishes to Jabari. Class act, seemed he was off to a good start in NBA. Was his injury a contact one? If so, that might actually bode better for him. It's when they pop out of place on their own (say, while running or pivoting) that it's really hard to control the risk of recurrence ... but as I said, there are some surgical options that may help him, if his growth plate is closed at the top of his tibia. I forget the name of the procedure but it's relatively newish. It was ruled out in my son's case because the growth plate was still open. I think one thing they do is use the bone as an anchor point to pin down some tendons or ligaments to help hold the patella in place. But such an anchor can't be in an open growth area.

billy
12-16-2014, 09:46 PM
there are some surgical options that may help him, if his growth plate is closed at the top of his tibia. I forget the name of the procedure but it's relatively newish. It was ruled out in my son's case because the growth plate was still open. I think one thing they do is use the bone as an anchor point to pin down some tendons or ligaments to help hold the patella in place. But such an anchor can't be in an open growth area.

The procedure is "Medial Patellofemoral Ligament Reconstruction". Tibial growth plate status doesn't come in to play; procedure involves the femur and patella only, creating a new ligament to stabilize the patella. Not many first time patella dislocations undergo surgery unless a secondary injury (cartilage injury occurring at the time of the dislocation, for example, creating a loose body within the knee) occurs. May be different for a NBA athlete, however, most are treated with bracing and physical therapy.

Generally, growth plates about the knee are closing or closed in females by age 14, men by 16. Last bone to fuse in the body is clavicle, doesn't occur until 25 or so.

arydolphin
12-16-2014, 10:42 PM
Worst fears confirmed by ESPN a few minutes ago: torn ACL for Jabari Parker, out for the season.

stillcrazie
12-16-2014, 10:44 PM
Worst fears confirmed by ESPN a few minutes ago: torn ACL for Jabari Parker, out for the season.

Oh no!!!!!!!!!!

mr. synellinden
12-16-2014, 10:48 PM
LINKY (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12040203/milwaukee-bucks-suspect-jabari-parker-lost-season-torn-acl)

cspan37421
12-16-2014, 10:48 PM
The procedure is "Medial Patellofemoral Ligament Reconstruction". Tibial growth plate status doesn't come in to play; procedure involves the femur and patella only, creating a new ligament to stabilize the patella. Not many first time patella dislocations undergo surgery unless a secondary injury (cartilage injury occurring at the time of the dislocation, for example, creating a loose body within the knee) occurs. May be different for a NBA athlete, however, most are treated with bracing and physical therapy.

Generally, growth plates about the knee are closing or closed in females by age 14, men by 16. Last bone to fuse in the body is clavicle, doesn't occur until 25 or so.

Thanks for the reminder. It's been a couple years, and I may have been wrong about the tibial growth plate coming into play, but my notes indicate that some growth plate came into play (maybe femoral?). Anyway I probably had tibial on the mind b/c that's where this year's break occurred. He didn't have surgery on his first dislocation, but the second time there was loose cartilage in there, so it was scoped then. We got some nice snapshots of the procedure. Amazing. And yes, lots of PT at Peyton Manning's D1 sports therapy place (Peyton actually does live nearby).

cspan37421
12-16-2014, 10:51 PM

Stinks for Jabari, but at least the treatment has advanced. These days, it's possible to come back near 100%, isn't it?

miramar
12-16-2014, 11:10 PM
McRoberts is like out for the year as well:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12033316/josh-mcroberts-miami-heat-miss-rest-season-torn-meniscus-chris-bosh-calf-indefinitely

BobbyFan
12-16-2014, 11:19 PM
Terrible and strange occurrence of knee injuries for Duke players over the past week or so. At least Kyrie is ok.

WeepingThomasHill
12-16-2014, 11:46 PM
This is terrible news - loved Jabari last year, and he was my son's favorite player. Just got him a Jabari jersey for Christmas.

Get well soon, JP!

roywhite
12-16-2014, 11:47 PM

Hate to see that; Jabari was making great strides and was a key part of the Bucks' improvement. It really has looked like the right team and town for him.

I say this with respect and affection for Jabari, but I hope he learned a lesson from his high school injury, and does not lose control of his weight and conditioning.

Oriole Way
12-16-2014, 11:53 PM
Sorry to hear. Here's to a speedy recovery for Jabari.

Hopefully he can spend some of his rehab at Duke and take some classes.

g-money
12-17-2014, 12:49 AM
Wow. This is a bummer. Here's wishing Jabari a full - if not speedy - recovery.

On the bright side, this probably affirms Jabari's decision to go pro early. (Yeah, I realize we have no way of knowing if this injury would have happened at Duke. But unfortunately, when it comes to the OAD debate, logic doesn't always win the day.) At any rate, I'm glad he'll be getting paid while he heals.

subzero02
12-17-2014, 01:31 AM
I was hoping Jabari would be in the running for ROY... I hope he comes back in top form next year. Maybe he can get a running start via summer league.

Edouble
12-17-2014, 01:49 AM
Hate to see that; Jabari was making great strides and was a key part of the Bucks' improvement. It really has looked like the right team and town for him.

I say this with respect and affection for Jabari, but I hope he learned a lesson from his high school injury, and does not lose control of his weight and conditioning.

Yeah, now he'll really need to take it easy on the Jabari bars during the holidays.

Oriole Way
12-17-2014, 02:04 AM
Interesting take from the orthopedic surgeon who was on top of Jabari's injury from the beginning:

https://twitter.com/ProFootballDoc/status/545084624859193344

He states that if MCL damage occurred in addition to the ACL tear, Jabari may have to wait until the MCL heals before undergoing surgery to repair the ACL. If that turns out to be the case, Jabari could be facing quite a lengthy recovery time. It will likely be tough for him to be ready to play 12 months from now if he suffered MCL damage as well.

dukelifer
12-17-2014, 09:29 AM
Interesting take from the orthopedic surgeon who was on top of Jabari's injury from the beginning:

https://twitter.com/ProFootballDoc/status/545084624859193344

He states that if MCL damage occurred in addition to the ACL tear, Jabari may have to wait until the MCL heals before undergoing surgery to repair the ACL. If that turns out to be the case, Jabari could be facing quite a lengthy recovery time. It will likely be tough for him to be ready to play 12 months from now if he suffered MCL damage as well.

Does anyone know which forwards have recovered to elite status after such an injury? The biggest concern is reinjury or a compensating injury. This comes at such a bad time in his career as he was just learning the pro game. It will be interesting to see how he recovers. It will not be easy.

flyingdutchdevil
12-17-2014, 09:37 AM
:(

This really makes me sad. Jabari was in such a good place with Milwaukee this year. Great team with few egos (well, they do have Larry "I Love Clubbin'" Sanders).

Hope for a speedy recovery that doesn't inhibit Jabari's incredible motor and mobility.

Bluedog
12-17-2014, 10:15 AM

On the bright side, this probably affirms Jabari's decision to go pro early. (Yeah, I realize we have no way of knowing if this injury would have happened at Duke. But unfortunately, when it comes to the OAD debate, logic doesn't always win the day.) At any rate, I'm glad he'll be getting paid while he heals.

True. Same thing with Julius Randle who broke his leg at the beginning of the season. Really hate it for these guys....Hope Jabari has a full recovery in a reasonable time.

Bay Area Duke Fan
12-17-2014, 10:21 AM
I was hoping Jabari would be in the running for ROY... I hope he comes back in top form next year. Maybe he can get a running start via summer league.

Can he get a medical redshirt year?

kAzE
12-17-2014, 11:44 AM
Man . . . this is just so unfortunate. I think Jabari was probably by default the leader for rookie of the year, and he recently started playing much better. It's been kind of a horrible year for a lot of the rookies. Julius Randle went down in his very first game for the year, Embiid hasn't even played due to injury, Smart suffered a pretty nasty looking ankle injury, and Aaron Gordon still has yet to come back from his foot surgery. Cross your fingers for Andrew Wiggins, there seems to be some sort of curse around this draft class.

MChambers
12-17-2014, 11:53 AM
As one of the many who had Dr. Frank Bassett operate on his knee for an ACL injury, I really feel for Jabari. Luckily, the medical techniques have improved over the years, so I think Jabari should make it back and not experience much of a dropoff in athleticism. Hoping for a full recovery.

jacone21
12-17-2014, 12:27 PM
I watched the Memphis/Golden State game last night. Shaun Livingston looked really good. He was explosive, quick, and smooth, which is pretty amazing. If Shaun can make it back from his gruesome injury, then I think Jabari has a good shot to getting back to normal. Hope it works out for him.

CameronBornAndBred
12-17-2014, 12:36 PM
Good opportunity to head back to campus and work on that degree.

Henderson
12-17-2014, 12:52 PM
I've got a medical question for those of you who have expertise in the area.

Is there any research on whether a young person's body is more succeptible to a knee injury like this than a more mature person's body?

My reason for asking is that Jabari has played in 25 games already this season, averaging 29.5 mpg. That's more than twice what he would have played this year in college.

Do knees and all the complex muscles/ligaments/tendons get stronger as a guy matures into his 20s, or is that set at an earlier age? I seem to recall some evidence, for example, that much younger kids do themselves a disservice by throwing a lot of curveballs. Not a comparator; just something that got me thinking.

I know players in their primes also blow out knees, but I'm wondering if there is any literature regarding relative youth and a knee's ability to hold up to increased strain.

Henderson
12-17-2014, 12:58 PM
P.S. Thank the stars that this didn't happen to him while still in college.

DukeDevil
12-17-2014, 01:05 PM
P.S. Thank the stars that this didn't happen to him while still in college.

hear hear. My second thought after being upset that this even happened to him was that at least it hit the big leagues first. I'd feel sick if he decided to do an extra year in college and had this injury (or had the injury in his first year).

mo.st.dukie
12-17-2014, 01:37 PM

Absolutely, from the players perpective they have to grab the opportunity that is given to them. I still don't understand the allure of the of the one and done from the NBA team perspective. You're banking on guys who may not only be unprepared mentally or skill wise but also unprepared for the physical rigors of an NBA season. Even in the best case scenario, Lebron James, you're still talking about an immature kid with millions of dollars at his disposal and still 3 or 4 years away from developing into the type of player and man who can lead your franchise

Oriole Way
12-17-2014, 02:17 PM
Does anyone know which forwards have recovered to elite status after such an injury? The biggest concern is reinjury or a compensating injury. This comes at such a bad time in his career as he was just learning the pro game. It will be interesting to see how he recovers. It will not be easy.

Al Jefferson
David West
Al Harrington
Corey Brewer
Jason Smith

Not including a bunch of high-profile guards who underwent the surgery and came back strong.

Brewer and Smith are not elite, but they came back to show no noticeable ill-effects. Al Harrington hasn't been elite for a long time, but he suffered his ACL tear way back in 2002, and came back to put up some big seasons.

For Jabari, an ACL tear is actually better news than if he had suffered a patella dislocation. A patellar injury would have been a riskier injury long-term for re-occurrence or complications. Jabari has a great chance to recover completely.

https://twitter.com/ProFootballDoc/status/545091164324384768

Rudy
12-18-2014, 10:56 AM
If he didn't have any cartilage tears he should be able to be back at full strength by the start of next season. I had a full tear of my ACL and didn't have it fixed until I dislocated the joint again and tore a meniscus. It took me a year to recover but I was in my 40's at the time and this was 18 years ago. If there's an MCL tear, too, it should only delay surgery 6-8 weeks.

zoroaster
12-19-2014, 10:58 PM
The Washington Post did a profile on Jabari yesterday, inspired by his injury but looking back to his childhood and at his character. It's a pretty good read. (It's actually first in a series on NBA players they're doing this season.)

Promise kept in waiting: An injury derails Jabari Parker's rookie year, but he's poised to rebound

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/jabari-parker-steps-into-the-unpredictable-nba/2014/12/17/9c218ada-8152-11e4-b936-f3afab0155a7_story.html