PDA

View Full Version : DBR Podcast #2 - with guest star Dan Kane!!

JasonEvans
12-15-2014, 08:14 AM
We got ridiculously lucky in our second podcast (https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast/dbr-podcast-12-13-14) to get N&O Investigative Reporter Dan Kane on as a guest. He had some really interesting things to say about how the investigation into UNC has gone and what it has been like for him. Here is a log of what to expect and when it happens in the podcast:

0:00 Welcome and Intro Dan Kane, News & Observer Investigative Reporter
1:41 Question 1 – Did you know how big this would be when you started on it several years ago?
5:31 Question 2 – What is the single most surprising thing you discovered in this?
9:55 Question 3 – How much credit do you give to Pack Pride for moving the story along?
13:55 Question 4 – Is there more to be revealed, is there more to be discovered in the Wainstein Report supplemental materials?
17:09 Question 5 – Do you think this extends beyond African American Studies into other departments?
20:30 Question 6 – Are you a college sports fan and how has this story changed your feeling toward college athletics?
22:55 Question 7 – We’ve heard about the anger and threats… how has your reporting affected your life?
26:25 Question 8 – Looking at Roy Williams and other leadership at UNC, how much do you think coaches and athletic directors knew about the scandal?
29:40 Question 9 – What NCAA sanctions do you think UNC deserves?
31:23 Goodbye to Dan Kane and our reaction to the interview
33:30 Previewing the UConn game
44:25 DBR Board Question of the Week – Your Most Interesting Encounter With a Duke Person
48:25 Next Week’s DBR Question of the Week – How Would You Fix the Irrational Hatred of Duke?
49:40 Good byes

As always, feel free to leave us some feedback and comments here.

-Jason "we've got another good guest lined up for next week too!" Evans

Dev11
12-15-2014, 08:17 AM
I know my audio during the UCONN segment was iffy, but I think I figured out the issue and will have it solved this week.

Dan Kane was great.

Henderson
12-15-2014, 09:07 AM
I know my audio during the UCONN segment was iffy, but I think I figured out the issue and will have it solved this week.

Dan Kane was great.

Just finished it. Great job again guys. Kane was very interesting to listen to, and the questions were the ones I'd have hoped for. Enjoyed the conversation about UConn too. Keep it up!

alteran
12-15-2014, 09:38 AM
I normally consider myself pretty technical but I cannot for the life of me figure out the feed for this podcast. I use a third party app (Downcast) to organize my podcasts, but cannot find this DBR podcast by searching, nor can I find what I'm supposed to enter manually for the feed.

-jk
12-15-2014, 11:46 AM
I normally consider myself pretty technical but I cannot for the life of me figure out the feed for this podcast. I use a third party app (Downcast) to organize my podcasts, but cannot find this DBR podcast by searching, nor can I find what I'm supposed to enter manually for the feed.

I just listen through a browser - both on my comp in firefox or on my iphone in safari.

Soundcloud advertises an app, but I haven't tried it.

-jk

Duvall
12-15-2014, 11:51 AM
Wait, Christmas episode?

Dev11
12-15-2014, 11:59 AM
Wait, Christmas episode?

Festivus, what have you

Henderson
12-15-2014, 01:21 PM
How do you match the bar set by having Dan Kane? You gotta be thinking about that.

I nominate Chase Jeter, Sean Obi, and Luke Kennard.

Your excellence has set a high bar.

alteran
12-15-2014, 02:10 PM
I just listen through a browser - both on my comp in firefox or on my iphone in safari.

Soundcloud advertises an app, but I haven't tried it.

-jk

Did a little legwork and found some stuff out.

From what I can tell, SoundCloud decided to go to a stream-only model. No idea why. It seems like it's possible for podcasters to create an rss feed (http://help.soundcloud.com/customer/portal/articles/1197932-how-do-i-find-my-rss-feed-) for their podcasts if they want, but SC doesn't seem to want to make it straightforward.

I tend to listen to podcasts when I'm driving, and it's nice to do it all through one app that updates and handles queuing and whatnot automatically. Because of intermittent signal, streaming is not a viable option for me. I'll probably jump through all these hoops to listen to the podcast with Dan Kane sitting in front of my computer, but that's not something that will become a habit. Don't know if I'm the only one, or one of many.

If you folks get a chance, a feed would be nice.

blazindw
12-15-2014, 05:16 PM
Did a little legwork and found some stuff out.

From what I can tell, SoundCloud decided to go to a stream-only model. No idea why. It seems like it's possible for podcasters to create an rss feed (http://help.soundcloud.com/customer/portal/articles/1197932-how-do-i-find-my-rss-feed-) for their podcasts if they want, but SC doesn't seem to want to make it straightforward.

I tend to listen to podcasts when I'm driving, and it's nice to do it all through one app that updates and handles queuing and whatnot automatically. Because of intermittent signal, streaming is not a viable option for me. I'll probably jump through all these hoops to listen to the podcast with Dan Kane sitting in front of my computer, but that's not something that will become a habit. Don't know if I'm the only one, or one of many.

If you folks get a chance, a feed would be nice.

A RSS feed is on my list for this week. I was out of the country on vacation last week but we are working on creating a RSS feed and also getting it on iTunes and Stitcher Radio along with Soundcloud. That process normally takes a few weeks so I would expect it to hopefully be approved by the new year. Once it happens, all of the episodes we've done will be on there!

alteran
12-15-2014, 05:25 PM
A RSS feed is on my list for this week. I was out of the country on vacation last week but we are working on creating a RSS feed and also getting it on iTunes and Stitcher Radio along with Soundcloud. That process normally takes a few weeks so I would expect it to hopefully be approved by the new year. Once it happens, all of the episodes we've done will be on there!

You guys are my heroes. I spent about a half hour trying to puzzle out what was going on in SoundCloud, and it still looked like it would take a lot of effort to get it going.

Dev11
12-15-2014, 06:28 PM
You guys are my heroes. I spent about a half hour trying to puzzle out what was going on in SoundCloud, and it still looked like it would take a lot of effort to get it going.

This week, I've learned that Soundcloud, iTunes, and Stitcher are determined to make it as complicated as possible for a random internet dork like me to just have a podcast. Thanks to everybody who has offered suggestions and thoughts; we very much appreciate it.

Bob Green
12-15-2014, 06:36 PM
As always, feel free to leave us some feedback and comments here.

Outstanding job with the Dan Kane interview! Thanks guys.

UrinalCake
12-15-2014, 07:18 PM
Great interview. I have no idea how you got him, but what a way to kick off a new podcast.

Kane sounds like a humble and reserved guy. Certainly not the ruthless mercenary that many may have thought him to be. Nor is he a State or Duke fans looking to take down his rival. It sounds like he just happened to be investigating UNC, starting with Michael MacAdoo's transcript, and the story just grew and grew.

JasonEvans
12-16-2014, 10:39 PM
More than 12-hundred people have listened to the podcast so far this week. Thanks so much to everyone for their wonderful support!

-Jason

fidel
12-17-2014, 01:21 PM
This is great stuff, and what a second podcast! It would be awesome to get some of the Pack Pride folks on next!

Henderson
12-17-2014, 01:37 PM
Laura Keeley. I've been harsh on her for her support of the view that K works an advantage in recruiting from his Team USA spot, but I think she's good and insightful as a reporter. I continue to believe her sights are higher than her current position, but that's normal. Get her on DBR while you can.