PDA

View Full Version : This Week in the ACC - 12/15-12/21

pfrduke
12-15-2014, 02:37 AM
Last week went ok for the conference. Louisville looked impressive against Indiana (before looking less impressive against UNCW) and Clemson took down another SEC opponent (albeit not a very good one), but NC State got nipped by the Wofford Terriers and UNC, despite being the first team to even come within shouting distance of a point per possession against Kentucky, let alone exceed it, fell short because they couldn't defend. From a scheduling perspective, this week is more December doldrums, at least until an action packed Saturday. Let's see how it shapes up:

Monday

[2]Duke hosts [255]Elon (7:00, ESPNU)
[93]Georgia Tech hosts [310]Appalachian State (7:00, ESPN3)

Tuesday

[16]UNC at [279]UNC-Greensboro (7:00, ESPN2)

Wednesday

[52]Pittsburgh hosts [178]Manhattan (7:00)
[48]NC State hosts [88]Tennessee (7:00, ESPN2)
[120]Florida State hosts [157]North Florida (7:00, ESPN3)

Thursday has a matchup that's lost a little bit of its luster since the defending champs lost at home to Yale, but playing UConn in the northeast is never an easy task. Amida Brimah poses a good test for Okafor and Ryan Boatright will be the most difficult defender Tyus Jones has seen yet.

[3]Virginia hosts [116]Cleveland State (7:00, ESPNU)
[2]Duke vs. [36]Connecticut in Secaucus (8:00, ESPN)

Friday

[22]Miami hosts [149]Eastern Kentucky (7:00)
[112]Clemson at [40]South Carolina (7:00, SECN)

Saturday is filled with activity. UNC and Ohio State face off in Chicago in CBS's attempt at the Champions Classic (Kentucky, interestingly enough, shows up in both). Syracuse takes on a Villanova team that's been running over basically everyone it's played (save Michigan and Bucknell). Wake Forest has a tough test away from Winston when they square off against Florida in the Orange Bowl Classic. And NC State and Notre Dame both face major conference opponents in one-off events, taking on West Virginia and Purdue, respectively.

[5]Louisville at [125]Western Kentucky (12:00, Fox Sports 1)
[37]Syracuse at [6]Villanova (1:00, Fox)
[16]North Carolina vs. [14]Ohio State (1:00, CBS)
[173]Virginia Tech hosts [329]Citadel (1:00)
[120]Florida State vs. [155]South Florida at Sunrise (2:00)
[93]Georgia Tech hosts [71]Vanderbilt (2:00, ESPN3)
[52]Pittsburgh hosts [210]Oakland (4:00, ESPN3)
[128]Wake Forest vs. [15]Florida at Sunrise (5:00, FSN)
[34]Notre Dame vs. [49]Purdue (5:15, BTN)
[48]NC State vs. [31]West Virginia in Brooklyn (9:30, ESPN2)

Sunday

[3]Virginia hosts [26]Harvard (12:00, ESPNU)
[129]Boston College vs. [153]USC (4:00, ESPNU)

ACC Non-Conference Record: 101-33
ACC Record vs. BCS:* 21-17
America East: 4-0
American Athletic: 5-0
Atlantic Sun: 2-1
Atlantic Ten: 9-3
Big 12: 1-1
Big East: 1-5
Big South: 6-3
B1G Ten: 11-8
Big West: 0-1
Colonial: 4-1
Conference USA: 5-0
Horizon: 1-1
MAAC: 5-1
MAC: 2-0
MEAC: 11-1
Missouri Valley: 0-1
Mountain West: 3-1
Northeast: 4-0
Ohio Valley: 2-0
Pac-12: 2-1
Patriot: 4-0
SEC: 6-2
Southern: 4-1
Southland: 1-0
Summit: 1-0
Sun Belt: 1-1
SWAC: 4-0
WAC: 1-0
Non D-1: 1-0

*refers to Big XII, Big East, Big Ten, Pac-12, and SEC. The AAC is just a completely mediocre basketball conference and crediting wins over the likes of Tulane and South Florida as wins over major conference caliber opponents is just silly. And yes, BCS is now a completely outdated reference derived from an entirely separate sport, but it's handy shorthand.

Duvall
12-16-2014, 07:46 PM
Watching UNC - UNC-Greensboro. Baffled as to how UNC-G beat Presbyterian. Or anyone.

jjasper0729
12-17-2014, 09:29 AM
Watching UNC - UNC-Greensboro. Baffled as to how UNC-G beat Presbyterian. Or anyone.

Agreed. To paraphrase Crash Davis, they couldn't hit water if they fell out of a flippin' boat.

Meeks is a big guy. even with the weight loss between last year and this year. The matchup with Jahlil will be interesting. though it seems if we can have decent defense on everyone but Paige, he may try to take over the game and when he does that, he doesn't have as good a game. Here's hoping the lights don't come on for the rest of the lineup when we play them or before.

JasonEvans
12-17-2014, 10:40 AM
[34]Notre Dame vs. [49]Purdue (5:15, BTN)
[48]NC State vs. [31]West Virginia in Brooklyn (9:30, ESPN2)

These could be a pair of potentially really key games down the line when the ACC is jockeying for an extra NCAA tourney bid or two. Notre Dame, NCSU, Purdue, and WVa all figure to be something like bubble teams. It would be big for the ACC if we could take these.

[3]Virginia hosts [26]Harvard (12:00, ESPNU)

I am ordinarily a big ACC homer, but this is one time I'll be rooting against the conference. Harvard has precious few games to prove they can play with the big boys. This game may be a bit more than they can handle but I am really rooting for them to take out Arizona State in a week.

-Jason "I'm also eager to see UVA in a close game -- they haven't had a close game yet this year" Evans

arnie
12-17-2014, 12:29 PM
These could be a pair of potentially really key games down the line when the ACC is jockeying for an extra NCAA tourney bid or two. Notre Dame, NCSU, Purdue, and WVa all figure to be something like bubble teams. It would be big for the ACC if we could take these.

I am ordinarily a big ACC homer, but this is one time I'll be rooting against the conference. Harvard has precious few games to prove they can play with the big boys. This game may be a bit more than they can handle but I am really rooting for them to take out Arizona State in a week.

-Jason "I'm also eager to see UVA in a close game -- they haven't had a close game yet this year" Evans

I'll be surprised if the Pack can beat WVU on a neutral. Gigilo of the N&O called State's loss to Wofford in Reynolds a " good loss". That would make losing to WVU a sensational loss.

Henderson
12-17-2014, 01:07 PM
I am ordinarily a big ACC homer, but this is one time I'll be rooting against the conference. Harvard has precious few games to prove they can play with the big boys.

Right there with you, brother. I have trouble rooting against Tommy, and I like both what he's doing and what his success at Harvard means to CBB.

Olympic Fan
12-17-2014, 02:02 PM
Gigilo of the N&O called State's loss to Wofford in Reynolds a " good loss". That would make losing to WVU a sensational loss.

I think Giglio is getting a little loose with his adjectives. NC State (No. 48 in Pomeroy) lost at home (and Reynolds has been a better homecourt edge than the RBC over the last 15 years) to a lower ranked team (Wofford is No. 75 in Pomeroy).

It's not a TERRIBLE loss -- even at home to a top 100 team ... but losing at home to a team that currently ranks outside the NCAA at large field is hardly a "good" loss.

When it comes to NCAA selection time, the Wofford loss will not be a killer, but it's more of a negative than a positive. Losing a close game to a top 10 team on the road -- THAT is a good loss.

I agree that a neutral court win over West Virginia could help a lot at selection time.

What they really need is a signature win. Of the ACC's three top 10 teams, two play at NC State.

I think to get in the field, State will really need to pull the upset when Duke visits Jan. 11 or Virginia visits Feb. 11.

Duvall
12-17-2014, 07:47 PM
Have to hand it to the plucky teams from that SoCon splinter league out of Birmingham - they are willing to play anyone, even though they hardly ever have a chance to win. N.C. State leads Tennessee 39-27 at the half.

tbyers11
12-19-2014, 10:22 PM
Not a good Friday for the ACC.
Miami lost at home to Eastern Ky 72-44. They were 14 point favorites according to KenPom. What happened?
Clemson were 9 point dogs @ Sourh Carolina but they got crushed 68-45. Yikes!

pfrduke
12-19-2014, 10:45 PM
Miami lost at home to Eastern Ky 72-44. They were 14 point favorites according to KenPom. What happened?

That's a really ugly loss for Miami - if they end up in the bubble neighborhood come tournament time, that one (even more than the loss to Green Bay) is going to end up with a big red circle around it. I assume Eastern Kentucky played zone, because otherwise I don't understand how they took 14 2-point attempts against 27 3s.

CDu
12-19-2014, 11:22 PM
Oy! Outside of the top handful of teams, the ACC is looking like a bit of a punching bag right now. Thank goodness we are one of those handful of teams!

Duvall
12-20-2014, 08:59 AM
Oy! Outside of the top handful of teams, the ACC is looking like a bit of a punching bag right now. Thank goodness we are one of those handful of teams!

Punching bag is a bit much given the results above, even after yesterday's two debacles. Today and tomorrow should be telling, with 12 ACC teams in action that aren't Duke.

77devil
12-20-2014, 09:07 AM

The ACC decided to emphasize football.

OldPhiKap
12-20-2014, 09:18 AM
At the risk of losing my breakfast -- Go Buckeyes!

devildeac
12-20-2014, 10:50 AM
At the risk of losing my breakfast -- Go Buckeyes!

Somewhere in Ohio, Mike Corey just broke out into a huge grin and might have even hurt himself with a fist pump.

Henderson
12-20-2014, 11:08 AM
The #12 Buckeyes are a 1 point underdog to the #24 heels on a neutral court 5 hours from Columbus. Hmm.

devildeac
12-20-2014, 11:15 AM
The #12 Buckeyes are a 1 point underdog to the #24 heels on a neutral court 5 hours from Columbus. Hmm.

Maybe the odds makers are expecting good attendance by t*rh**l fans, something not common for upper level AFAM (and other) classes from 1993-2001:rolleyes:.

Henderson
12-20-2014, 11:28 AM
Maybe the odds makers are expecting good attendance by t*rh**l fans, something not common for upper level AFAM (and other) classes from 1993-2001:rolleyes:.

2001? My, what a loving generous holiday spirit you are in!

I'd say the guys putting money on the line are showing some serious disrespect for OSU, or for the poll voters.

Duvall
12-20-2014, 11:33 AM

Ohio State is an empty 9-1 - no wins against top 100 opponents. One point underdog may be generous.

devildeac
12-20-2014, 11:36 AM
2001? My, what a loving generous holiday spirit you are in!

I'd say the guys putting money on the line are showing some serious disrespect for OSU, or for the poll voters.

Ooops, typo/proof-reading alert. Not quite enough lukewarm coffee yet today. Good catch. I meant 1993-2011.:o

Henderson
12-20-2014, 11:38 AM
Ohio State is an empty 9-1 - no wins against top 100 opponents. One point underdog may be generous.

Exactly. So who voted for OSU (31 RPI) #12? Nevermind. We don't need another thread about the silly ways in which poll voters operate.

Duvall
12-20-2014, 02:35 PM
The Big Ten is some kind of terrible this year. Does Wisconsin lose?

devildeac
12-20-2014, 02:41 PM
The Big Ten is some kind of terrible this year. Does Wisconsin lose?

Old news. They already did.

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?34690-MBB-Duke-80-Wisconsin-70-Post-Game-Thread

Henderson
12-20-2014, 02:44 PM
The Big Ten is some kind of terrible this year.

And that's after letting in Maryland. Correlation or causation?

FerryFor50
12-20-2014, 09:10 PM
Montrezl Harrell is likely to face a suspension after throwing a punch against WKU:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/motrezl-harrell-s-ejection-will-likely-lead-to-suspension-but-a-return-in-time-for-kentucky-192939504.html

Billy Dat
12-21-2014, 10:46 AM
I caught the last 7 minutes and OT of Syracuse v Villanova yesterday.

Syracuse blew this one, big time, in the last 20 seconds when Villanova nailed a 3, stole the ball shortly after the ensuing inbounds and then got an inside bucket for the tie.

On Syracuse, based on talent, they seem like they should be better than their record. Gbinije had a career game yesterday and was very much the go to guy down the stretch. I didn't get a good feel for freshman PG Kaleb Joseph but it seems like that position is a weakness coming off the solid play of Tyler Ennis. It also seems like they only play 6. Villanova was also driving on the zone pretty easily.

As for Nova as a potential Final Four team, they looked good. They have that Jay Wright personality of gritty quick handed physical guards, and Pinkston is a solid senior 4 man. I liked Ennis and Arcidiacono in the backcourt. I need to see more of them but they are very tough mentally and physically.

By the way, I made this discovery a while ago, but is there anyone else who thought that Ryan Arcidiacono's name was actually Archie Diacono?

Duvall
12-21-2014, 12:56 PM
Presumptive ACC regular season champion Virginia is obliterating Harvard 39-8 at halftime.

bbosbbos
12-21-2014, 01:13 PM
This year acc is very very good. I do not know who will win the acc title. Wisconsin, Arizona & UK are the only teams that are able to beat the top acc teams, such as UL, UVA & us. Holes & ND are very good too. Is this the best acc ever?

Presumptive ACC regular season champion Virginia is obliterating Harvard 39-8 at halftime.

Wahoo2000
12-21-2014, 01:16 PM

Tough for Harvard coming off the long exam break. Teams are usually kind of rusty offensively, and to go up against a top 5 D on the road makes it look worse than it really is.

FWIW - I think Duke will win the league at about 15-3/16-2 this year, with Louisville and UVA battling for 2nd at around 14-4/13-5. If something happens to Harrell though, UL drops from a top 5 national squad to the 15-20 range.

Also - I really enjoy watching Duke play this year. The offense is a thing of beauty. While we're pretty efficient on offense (top 10 kempom), our O isn't as exciting/thrilling to watch. Love our defense though. Looking forward to the matchup at Charlottesville in late Jan.