PDA

View Full Version : Coaches All-ACC football team

jimsumner
12-10-2014, 12:35 PM
http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail/atlantic-coast-conference-announces-2014-football-coaches-awards-all-acc-team-12-10-2014

Olympic Fan
12-10-2014, 01:43 PM
Pretty much the same as the writers' tean that was announced a week ago.

The big differences as far as Duke is concerned is that Helton was first team by the writers and second team by the coaches ... and Matt Skura was third team by the writers and HM by the coaches.

So -- this year at least -- I'm going by the writers' tea.

jimsumner
12-10-2014, 02:04 PM
Pretty much the same as the writers' tean that was announced a week ago.

The big differences as far as Duke is concerned is that Helton was first team by the writers and second team by the coaches ... and Matt Skura was third team by the writers and HM by the coaches.

So -- this year at least -- I'm going by the writers' tea.

The coaches also bumped Cofield.

Bob Green
12-10-2014, 05:00 PM
The coaches also bumped Cofield.

Jim and/or Olympic Fan,

What are your thoughts on Takoby Cofield? I believe he has been very solid at left tackle the past three seasons and he will be very difficult to replace next season. The importance of protecting the quarterback's blind side cannot be overstated. The offensive line has been a team strength over the past few seasons with the departing Laken Tomlinson and Cofield being key players. Will it be more difficult to replace Tomlinson and Cofield in 2015 than it was to replace Perry Simmons and Dave Harding this season?

jimsumner
12-10-2014, 06:38 PM
Jim and/or Olympic Fan,

What are your thoughts on Takoby Cofield? I believe he has been very solid at left tackle the past three seasons and he will be very difficult to replace next season. The importance of protecting the quarterback's blind side cannot be overstated. The offensive line has been a team strength over the past few seasons with the departing Laken Tomlinson and Cofield being key players. Will it be more difficult to replace Tomlinson and Cofield in 2015 than it was to replace Perry Simmons and Dave Harding this season?

Perhaps. Tomlinson might be the best Duke player in a generation.

But Cofield might be tougher to replace. Skura, Patrick and Robinson will give Duke a very good interior trio next season.

But Cofield absorbed darn near every snap of consequence at LT for the last three years. Duke has done a great job of recruiting at the OL positions. But there's no real experience at LT. Does Duke move Blaser? Try Tanner Stone? Brander? A redshirt freshman?

QB should be the most interesting job fight this spring. But WR and LT should be just as important.

Bob Green
12-11-2014, 05:26 PM
QB should be the most interesting job fight this spring. But WR and LT should be just as important.

Thanks Jim! I appreciate you sharing your insight.

johnb
12-12-2014, 10:34 AM
Not sure if this got reported elsewhere, but the Walter Camp A-A lists came out with a first team All American (Laken) and a second team A-A (Jeremy).

Kudos!

http://waltercamp.org/honors/