PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Cash announces he's returning for his senior season

Dukehky
12-10-2014, 12:01 PM
http://www.heraldsun.com/news/blog/x1736887736/Dukes-Cash-will-explore-NFL

wilson
12-10-2014, 12:05 PM
Obviously, it would hurt to lose Jeremy a year early. But in the long run, I view this as a net positive for the program. In the past couple of years, Cut and his staff have finally been cashing in (pun intended, I guess) on their steadily built success and breaking through on signing some elite recruits. If those recruits start hearing about a Duke guy leaving early for the NFL Draft (which would presumably mean that Jeremy will be drafted somewhere in the first 2 or 3 rounds), then they'll have to start thinking even harder about signing up to play at Duke. I recognize that Cash wouldn't really be leaving early, since he sat out a transfer year, but having a player leave a year of eligibility on the table to go to the NFL is totally new territory for our program.
All in all, this is yet another emblem of our amazing and gratifying football turnaround, and of the fact that that turnaround promises more success and positive publicity in the future.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
12-10-2014, 12:06 PM
Awesome, good luck to the kid he deserves whatever comes to him and we were lucky to have him at Duke. Hopefully we get one more year but wouldn't blame him for going to the NFL. I wonder how his draft stock is.

Duvall
12-10-2014, 01:01 PM
With Cash's style of play it makes sense for him to move to the league as soon as possible. Best luck to him.

brevity
12-10-2014, 01:15 PM
I lack Mel Kiper's knowledge (and coiffure), so I can't vouch for the source, but WalterFootball (http://walterfootball.com/draft2015S.php) lists Jeremy Cash as the 10th best safety prospect eligible for the 2015 NFL Draft. They estimate his selection in the second to fourth round.

As a comparison, I looked at the 2014 Draft and saw that the 10th safety selected was Tre Boston of (ahem) UNC, in the fourth round by the Carolina Panthers as the 128th overall pick.

killerleft
12-10-2014, 01:29 PM
With Cash's style of play it makes sense for him to move to the league as soon as possible. Best luck to him.

I hear that! Mr. Cash is a reckless hit-master, something the NFL values, even as it spits out such players when they get hurt. A degree from Duke might come in handy, and graduate school valuable indeed.

He's my favorite Duke athlete. I want him back. But I wish the best for him whatever he decides.

sagegrouse
12-10-2014, 01:30 PM
http://www.heraldsun.com/news/blog/x1736887736/Dukes-Cash-will-explore-NFL

The lede:

J
eremy Cash, Duke’s hard-hitting safety, is looking forward to playing in the partially renovated Wallace Wade Stadium next season.

At the same time, he’s going to explore leaving the Blue Devils early for the NFL.

Cash said Wednesday morning that he’ll “probably” seek input from the NFL’s Draft Advisory Board about his draft status before deciding if he’ll play his final season at Duke in 2015.

Olympic Fan
12-10-2014, 01:38 PM
Yeah, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Cash is not the first recent player to seek input from the NFL draft advisory panel (I know that Connor Vernon and Jamison Crowder both did). This doesn't mean he's going.

I do think he'll get a more positive response from the panel than any previous Duke player. That and the fact that he can get his degree this spring certainly make it more likely that he goes.

But until he decides to leave, I'm going to hold out hope that he returns.

If, in the end, he elects to leave, all I can say is, "Thanks for two great seasons, Jeremy, and good luck in the NGL."

AIRFORCEDUKIE
12-10-2014, 01:48 PM
Yeah, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Cash is not the first recent player to seek input from the NFL draft advisory panel (I know that Connor Vernon and Jamison Crowder both did). This doesn't mean he's going.

I do think he'll get a more positive response from the panel than any previous Duke player. That and the fact that he can get his degree this spring certainly make it more likely that he goes.

But until he decides to leave, I'm going to hold out hope that he returns.

If, in the end, he elects to leave, all I can say is, "Thanks for two great seasons, Jeremy, and good luck in the NGL."

"NGL"? No Goal League, No Go League, No Guacamole League, No Gargoyle League, No Goodell League, No Guilt League... I give up what does NGL stand for.. or was it a typo.

CDu
12-10-2014, 02:50 PM
I mentioned this in another thread, but this doesn't surprise me at all. We've been fairly lucky so far that no players have left early during the Cutcliffe era. But if we continue to be successful, that's going to change at some point. Cash may or may not ultimately become the first to do so in the Cutcliffe era, but it is probably going to happen sooner rather than later. It's nearly impossible to be a relevant program and still avoid ever having some folks head to the League early.

I definitely hope Cash sticks around for his 5th year senior year, but I won't be shocked if he decides to go pro. Best wishes to him either way.

Reilly
12-10-2014, 02:57 PM
So if he goes, that means we should have played him in the 2012 Belk Bowl ....

CameronBornAndBred
12-10-2014, 06:01 PM
If he goes, he's got my support. The more guys we have drafted and playing in the NFL (Crowder and Tomlinson will be there too), the better our sales pitch gets for recruits.
Of course, though, I would love to see him on Saturday for one more year. Would be fun to see what a team with him and a healthy Braxton Deaver and Kelby Brown can do. Lots of experience and talent there to enjoy one last season.

OldPhiKap
12-10-2014, 07:25 PM
Would love to see him play on Saturdays for another year.

Will root for him on Sundays whenever he decides it is best for him to go.

No vigil, it's all good.

gep
12-11-2014, 05:40 PM
I wonder if a win in the Sun Bowl will also have some effect on his decision... :cool:

OldPhiKap
12-11-2014, 07:02 PM
I wonder if a win in the Sun Bowl will also have some effect on his decision... :cool:

I hope we have the opportunity to find out!

Henderson
12-11-2014, 07:11 PM
I hope we have the opportunity to find out!

Counting on you and others who will be attending for real-time reports from the game! Hit 'em JC!

devildeac
12-11-2014, 07:35 PM

That's a great plan/idea. Let's see, maybe 12 tackles (5 for losses), 4 "break-ups," 2 interceptions (including a pick 6), 1 fumble caused and 1 recovered. That'd be a great afternoon.

Newton_14
12-11-2014, 11:22 PM
If he goes, he's got my support. The more guys we have drafted and playing in the NFL (Crowder and Tomlinson will be there too), the better our sales pitch gets for recruits.
Of course, though, I would love to see him on Saturday for one more year. Would be fun to see what a team with him and a healthy Braxton Deaver and Kelby Brown can do. Lots of experience and talent there to enjoy one last season.

You captured my thoughts exactly. I fully support him if he goes and I understand why it would make sense to go. That said it would be nice to have him and Kelby as two top notch linebackers on the same team. Would greatly help our defense. Those two guys are studs. (Assuming Kelby can make a full recovery.

Jeremy has given us a lot. Hope he stays but will pull hard for him if he goes..

gep
12-12-2014, 12:14 AM
So... one more thought. Say Duke wins the Sun Bowl... first bowl win in almost forever. Now, he's also got an ACC Coastal Division championship to go with that. But, the one left "unfinished business" is the ACC Championship. I wonder if that would be enough for him to come back :cool: But as CB&B says, more Duke players in the NFL... the better. But "next play"... beat ASU!!!

Dev11
12-12-2014, 04:25 PM
So... one more thought. Say Duke wins the Sun Bowl... first bowl win in almost forever. Now, he's also got an ACC Coastal Division championship to go with that. But, the one left "unfinished business" is the ACC Championship. I wonder if that would be enough for him to come back :cool: But as CB&B says, more Duke players in the NFL... the better. But "next play"... beat ASU!!!

Given the odds of being seriously injured and never getting a shot at a professional career, I'd take the draft.

He seems like a solid player who is good enough to play in the NFL. He deserves to take that shot if he wants it.

Bob Green
12-12-2014, 04:58 PM
Given the odds of being seriously injured and never getting a shot at a professional career, I'd take the draft.

As much as I desire to see Jeremy Cash playing Strike Safety at Duke in 2015, it is impossible for me to disagree with your logic.

Reilly
12-12-2014, 08:26 PM
On the possible injury front, Cash suffered a terrific blow to the head in the game @ Virginia in 2013 in a play at the goal line. It was reported that he had the wind knocked out of him. As I recall, his eyes rolled back in his head and he seemed to be knocked out. Scary. So, I agree that possible injury is another reason to take the payday as soon as possible. The "had the wind knocked out of him" report, and inserting Jordan Byas back into the game in the 2012 Belk Bowl, are the two most disturbing events, for me, in recent Duke football history.

Mike Corey
01-08-2015, 10:23 AM
Per Adam Rowe, Jeremy Cash has a press conference scheduled at 1 PM today.

FerryFor50
01-08-2015, 10:47 AM

Another sign Duke football has arrived... they have players that are actually capable of being drafted before their senior year!

JasonEvans
01-08-2015, 10:57 AM

Just my own rampant speculation, but... You don't hold a press conference to say you are staying in school. Not unless you are a QB or a guy expected to go in the first round.

Whatever he decides, Jeremy has been fabulous for Duke, a real game changer on D and a kid we can be so proud to call one of our own. I'll be rooting for him no matter what color his uniform is next season.

-Jason "obviously it depends upon the combine, but I would think Cash has a good shot to be a 3rd rounder in the draft" Evans

killerleft
01-08-2015, 11:07 AM
"Please stay, Mr. Cash!!". This is my selfish side. Only a handful of Duke defensive players have been worth 'zero-ing in on' at the expense of missing the rest of the play. Jeremy Cash is one of them.

devildeac
01-08-2015, 11:21 AM

Great. Damn.

OldPhiKap
01-08-2015, 11:42 AM
Just my own rampant speculation, but... You don't hold a press conference to say you are staying in school. Not unless you are a QB or a guy expected to go in the first round.

Whatever he decides, Jeremy has been fabulous for Duke, a real game changer on D and a kid we can be so proud to call one of our own. I'll be rooting for him no matter what color his uniform is next season.

Great. Damn.

Both well-said.

Duvall
01-08-2015, 11:59 AM
Wiseman: Cash expected to stay at Duke. (http://www.heraldsun.com/breakingnews/x761902337/Cash-expected-to-stay-at-Duke)

Mike Corey
01-08-2015, 12:07 PM
Adam Rowe, on Twitter, saying that's what he's been hearing as well.

Scorp4me
01-08-2015, 12:10 PM
Boy am I glad i decided to check at 12:00 instead of 10:30. Saved me quite a bit of teeth gnashing lol.

devildeac
01-08-2015, 12:52 PM
Wiseman: Cash expected to stay at Duke. (http://www.heraldsun.com/breakingnews/x761902337/Cash-expected-to-stay-at-Duke)

Adam Rowe, on Twitter, saying that's what he's been hearing as well.

This would be tremendously fabulous, but I think we'd all understand if he announced he was leaving and heaped all sorts of lavish praise on Cut, his staff, the athletic department and Duke as he headed off to the NFL.

duke blue brewcrew
01-08-2015, 12:59 PM
Great. Damn.

Well said, I was thinking the exact same thing. The link below gives me hope. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

duke blue brewcrew
01-08-2015, 01:03 PM
This would be tremendously fabulous, but I think we'd all understand if he announced he was leaving and heaped all sorts of lavish praise on Cut, his staff, the athletic department and Duke as he headed off to the NFL.

I would have to agree with you on all points. Tremendously encouraging sign of the times for Duke Football under Coach Cut! That said, I would love to see him wearing Duke Blue just one more year. I will be pulling for him regardless of what jersey he's wearing next season though, he's been a tremendous joy to route for up to this point.

CameronBornAndBred
01-08-2015, 01:35 PM
Just tuned in...he's staying!

Duvall
01-08-2015, 01:35 PM
Cash returning. (https://mobile.twitter.com/Duke_FB/status/553258339153760256?p=v)

Dev11
01-08-2015, 01:38 PM
Coach Cut: "I suppose the first thing I should say is that I sure am happy."

Wander
01-08-2015, 01:39 PM
We're going to be quite good next year.

OldPhiKap
01-08-2015, 01:40 PM
Woot Woot!!!!!!!

Duvall
01-08-2015, 01:43 PM
We're going to be quite good next year.

I'm feeling too good about next season. Somebody get loran in here to bring us down.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
01-08-2015, 01:55 PM
I am with Coach Cut on this one, "I sure am Happy" Lets get a coastal division championship next year and a Florida bowl game so I can go to it please!!!

Reilly
01-08-2015, 01:57 PM
Woot Woot!!!!!!!

I think Lenny Wirtz's nose is bleeding ....

Dev11
01-08-2015, 01:58 PM
I am with Coach Cut on this one, "I sure am Happy" Lets get a coastal division championship next year and a Florida bowl game so I can go to it please!!!

No more Winston, Greene, and O'Leary at FSU, so the ACC could be up for grabs.

devildeac
01-08-2015, 01:59 PM
Kinda like a credit card that gives you Cash back on your purchases:o.

Or maybe getting a good return on our investment.

Ok, I'll stop there.

I sure am happy along with Coach Cut.

I hope he has another outstanding year, earns all-ACC honors again and top shelf national honors, all while leading us to contend for the ACC championship.

Duvall
01-08-2015, 02:01 PM
No more Winston, Greene, and O'Leary at FSU, so the ACC could be up for grabs.

Aren't you overlooking the team with the most returning starters in the ACC? (http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2015/JAN15/DBJan02.html) Clearly they should be the preseason favorites.

OldPhiKap
01-08-2015, 02:02 PM
I think Lenny Wirtz's nose is bleeding ....

Can't send sporkz right now, but that gave me an audible guffaw.

peloton
01-08-2015, 02:11 PM
Wow. This is really great news. I couldn't be more excited for next season. Sure, there's some uncertainty especially in regard to the quarterback position. But that "little bit of mystery" (I have total confidence in Coach Cut re:the QB situation though) combined with the return of Kelby, Jeremy, and Jela make me pretty optimistic. I'm thinking the marketing slogan for next season should probably be 'The Hits Just Keep on Coming' :D. I'm already psyched...great to have you back, Jeremy!

Wander
01-08-2015, 02:30 PM
I'm feeling too good about next season. Somebody get loran in here to bring us down.

Let me try. We're not returning literally our entire offensive line, so we're going to be terrible. :)

Aren't you overlooking the team with the most returning starters in the ACC? Clearly they should be the preseason favorites.

I think this season could be one of the few times UNC legitimately deserves to be ranked in the preseason. Of course, we've seen this movie before, so I wouldn't blame anyone here for being skeptical.

Olympic Fan
01-08-2015, 03:08 PM
Aren't you overlooking the team with the most returning starters in the ACC? (http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2015/JAN15/DBJan02.html) Clearly they should be the preseason favorites.

I think UNC deserves preseason props this season, unlike last year, when they had to replace at least four NFL players, including a ton of talent on both lines. This year, they don't lose much talent, their young linemen will be older (which always helps) and Chizik can't do worse with their defense than it was this year.

I do think the raw numbers hat show Duke with just 12 returning starters is (while technically correct) misleading. Add three returning starters from 2013 -- Kelby Brown, Braxton Deaver and Jela Duncan. Some of the other seven positions will be filled by guys with starting experience.

I keep saying, we'll fill our holes with players who are better physically and usually have some experience.

The ONLY question mark is the QB transition. If Sirk, Pierre of Boehme can do an adequate job at the position -- and with Cut mentoring them, I'm confident they can -- I think Duke is once again a contender in the division. A strong contender.

DukieInKansas
01-08-2015, 03:09 PM
Coach Cut: "I suppose the first thing I should say is that I sure am happy."

It makes me happy, too!

Bob Green
01-08-2015, 03:52 PM
Cash returning is great news! Our defense should take another step forward in 2015 toward becoming a dominant unit. I'm optimistic the young defensive line talent will make a difference in the trenches and our secondary/linebackers are talented and experienced. As Coach Cutcliffe has stated multiple times, he is building a program and it will be very helpful to have Jeremy Cash as a building block for one more season. The progress made upgrading talent and depth over the past few seasons is amazing.

chrishoke
01-08-2015, 03:59 PM
Mr. Cash is such a joy to watch. We are very lucky fans.

killerleft
01-08-2015, 04:06 PM
Now somebody needs to figure out how to get his Ohio State year erased!:p:o

Go Mr. Cash, and Go Duke!

OZZIE4DUKE
01-08-2015, 04:10 PM
I too, or five or six by my count, am happy that Mr. Cash has made such a great decision! Now, if he will please speak to Jahlil, Justice and Tyus about their upcoming decisions...... :cool:

sagegrouse
01-08-2015, 05:05 PM
Jeremy is "money in the bank!" Ooops! Strike that! I meant to say "Cash is on hand!"

Great news,
Sage Grouse

TKG
01-08-2015, 05:17 PM
And I was concerned that we were moving towards a Cash-less society.....

devildeac
01-08-2015, 05:18 PM
Jeremy is "money in the bank!" Ooops! Strike that! I meant to say "Cash is on hand!"

Great news,
Sage Grouse

Return on Investment.

CameronBornAndBred
01-08-2015, 06:10 PM
Two things stood out from the announcement. One was the reasons he's coming back, which include unfulfilled goals, and the family that surrounds him in the program.
The other was Cut saying that he is looking forward to seeing Kelby and Jeremy playing together. I'm imagining the coaching staff is licking their lips in anticipation. (I know I am.)

tbyers11
01-08-2015, 06:21 PM
And I was concerned that we were moving towards a Cash-less society.....

It's all about the bitcoins, baby.

Looking forward to another year of Jeremy on the football team!

OldPhiKap
01-08-2015, 07:19 PM
It's all about the bitcoins, baby.

Looking forward to another year of Jeremy on the football team!

I thought it was all about the bass, 'bout the bass -- no treble.

And I don't believe in bitcoins but that is a whole different thread.

Henderson
01-08-2015, 07:33 PM
And I don't believe in bitcoins but that is a whole different thread.

Next you'll be saying that my collection of Beanie Babies is worthless too. Come on man, this is the nineties.

Or whatever.

People once used oyster shells, and I'm still hoarding them. You never know.

But yeah, Jeremy is pure cash. I especially like knowing how hard he'll be working in the off season to be the pro he wants to be.

4Gen
01-08-2015, 08:23 PM
Was it serendipity that brought Cash to Duke? He's been a vital cog in the meteoric (relatively speaking) rise of Duke football. Even Cut coming to the worst football program in the country could be argued as serendipitous.

Cut's happy. I am too.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-08-2015, 08:34 PM
Was it serendipity that brought Cash to Duke? He's been a vital cog in the meteoric (relatively speaking) rise of Duke football. Even Cut coming to the worst football program in the country could be argued as serendipitous.

Cut's happy. I am too.
Jim Tressel's departure from tOSU was very beneficial to Duke. Jeremy's the right person in the right place in so many ways.

CameronBlue
01-08-2015, 10:22 PM
Dare I now dream of a late December Florida vacation? I see "A Dance to Winter" in a moonlit subtropical paradise (got to find my speedo last time I put it on it disappeared)! There's a lot of exotic wildlife abandoned by its owners running around Florida. My wife has hinted she'd like me to be part of it.