PDA

View Full Version : Michigan might have been interested in Cutcliffe

blUDAYvil
12-09-2014, 05:48 PM
http://michigan.247sports.com/Bolt/Source-Michigan-Reached-Out-To-Cutcliffe-33718652

Unconfirmed sources so far, but an interesting development.

weezie
12-09-2014, 05:57 PM
Here we go.

The job is such a meat grinder though...

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-09-2014, 06:18 PM
The reporting is not accurate... can't seem to get Coach's birthplace right. What else is inaccurate?

Dev11
12-09-2014, 06:41 PM
Wait, so is he from Birmingham or Tennessee? I'm so confused!

Devilwin
12-09-2014, 07:25 PM
Not worried about it at all. He didn't go to Tennessee, and he has connections there. Besides, he's 60 now, and I believe they will go after a younger guy in the end.
Plus, he's got it made here.

subzero02
12-09-2014, 07:31 PM
"I think Michigan should hire Jim Tressel"- Rick Pitino

Dukehky
12-09-2014, 08:07 PM
They would be stupid not to. He won't leave though. When we survived the Tennessee scare, we locked up Cut for the rest of his coaching career.

Mike Corey
12-09-2014, 08:44 PM
Asking around about this now, but if M*chigan steals Coach Cutcliffe, I will tear down the Big House myself, brick by brick.

arnie
12-09-2014, 08:47 PM
They would be stupid not to. He won't leave though. When we survived the Tennessee scare, we locked up Cut for the rest of his coaching career.

Posters seem quite confident and " locked up" is strong. Wonder if Cut sees it this way as his health seems OK now. I wouldn't be completely shocked if he took a top flight job.

devildeac
12-09-2014, 08:50 PM
Asking around about this now, but if M*chigan steals Coach Cutcliffe, I will tear down the Big House myself, brick by brick.

No, you won't. I'll make the drive to help you and bring OZZIE, CameronBornAndBred, killerleft and my younger son-in-law with me.

sagegrouse
12-09-2014, 08:56 PM
http://michigan.247sports.com/Bolt/Source-Michigan-Reached-Out-To-Cutcliffe-33718652

Well, anyway:

Wolverine247 spoke with a source close to the Duke situation today who said Michigan has gauged the early interest of their head coach David Cutcliffe in regards to the opening in Ann Arbor.

Whazzit say? Someone at Duke confirms Michigan has contacted Cutcliffe to assess his interest? any contact would presumably involve Kevin White or Cut's agent.

OldPhiKap
12-09-2014, 08:58 PM
I don't see Cut leaving. I sure don't see him going to Michigan, most of his recruiting ties are in the Southeast.

I was more concerned about the Florida job although again feel he is a Duke Man.

Henderson
12-09-2014, 08:59 PM

No, it's a single unnamed source with some unspecified proximity to "the Duke situation." (Whatever that is).

Anonymous single-source reporting is the weakest of the weak. Wake me up when there is real news.

OldPhiKap
12-09-2014, 09:02 PM
No, it's a single unnamed source with some unspecified proximity to "the Duke situation." (Whatever that is).

Anonymous single-source reporting is the weakest of the weak. Wake me up when there is real news.

I heard from a guy that the Hawks reached out to K. Will provide details later.

AFAIK, no truth to the rumor that K will coach Polish National Team in 2020.

Duvall
12-09-2014, 09:03 PM
Posters seem quite confident and " locked up" is strong. Wonder if Cut sees it this way as his health seems OK now. I wouldn't be completely shocked if he took a top flight job.

The "locked up" talk is crazy, but it's almost impossible to see Cutcliffe accepting a job offer from an interim athletic director.

Henderson
12-09-2014, 09:06 PM
"I think Michigan should hire Jim Tressel"- Rick Pitino

Hello, now that's clever! Sporkz 4U.

SoCalDukeFan
12-09-2014, 09:09 PM
that Coach Cut finishes his fine career at Duke

But Nebraska just hired a guy who's 61.

SoCal

Henderson
12-09-2014, 09:10 PM
I heard from a guy that the Hawks reached out to K. Will provide details later.

Vigil!

killerleft
12-09-2014, 10:52 PM
No, you won't. I'll make the drive to help you and bring OZZIE, CameronBornAndBred, killerleft and my younger son-in-law with me.

I'm in. But if CB&B will just pick up a couple cruise missiles at Seymour Johnson's Emporium on his way northwest, we could fire 'em off from the top of the Greensboro Coliseum (I'm assuming those babies come with a quick start guide like TVs), and then adjourn to Mad Hatters for craft brews and burgers. This message will self-destruct in five, four, three, two...

Henderson
12-09-2014, 11:02 PM
I'm in. But if CB&B will just pick up a couple cruise missiles at Seymour Johnson's Emporium on his way northwest, we could fire 'em off from the top of the Greensboro Coliseum (I'm assuming those babies come with a quick start guide like TVs), and then adjourn to Mad Hatters for craft brews and burgers. This message will self-destruct in five, four, three, two...

There's a computer out there someplace that just put you on a list.:cool:

killerleft
12-09-2014, 11:44 PM
There's a computer out there someplace that just put you on a list.:cool:

I'm surprised an ad for cruise missiles hasn't popped up on this site yet.:)

JBDuke
12-09-2014, 11:59 PM

If you're at the Coliseum, aren't you obliged to go across the street and get 'que from Stamey's? Maybe Mad Hatters will let you BYOQ, and you can still enjoy their suds.

Henderson
12-10-2014, 12:49 AM
Adam Rowe retweeted Gil Brandt saying that Brandt was told tonight that Michigan offered Cut and that Cut said no. No source identified.

What is that, three degrees of separation?

Anyway, FWIW.

BD80
12-10-2014, 04:42 AM
Let's put this in perspective. The University of Michigan was trying to hire the Duke University FOOTBALL coach.

When, in the last 50 years has that EVER been conceivable?

Duke football is superior to Michigan football. Wow.

As for taking the Big House down brick-by-brick, be careful. It always was the quietest gathering of 100,000+ people, now they are facing the prospect of 20,000 to 30,000 unsold seats per game. It will be easy to hear the demolition.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
12-10-2014, 07:08 AM
First let me start by saying I don't think he would take the Michigan job. However, I would't blame him if he did. There are very few jobs out there that are elite coaching destinations. Places like USC, Ohio St, Alabama, Michigan, and Florida State. Then there are almost elite destinations like LSU, Florida, Notre Dame, and a few others may be on that list. But if you get an offer for one of these coaching jobs you have to listen to it. You would be foolish not to, it would be life changing money and if you succeed you have a chance to become a legend among coaches. That being said, I don't think Cut has any interest in these things and is perfectly happy at this point in his career right where he is. Interesting none the less, what happens when he gets Michigan Football money thrown at him.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-10-2014, 07:08 AM
Actually, the article is full of innaccuracies.

In the aftermath of losses to NJIT and Eastern Michigan, Michigan is trying to hire Coach Cut to lead their basketball team.

TKG
12-10-2014, 08:16 AM
In a news release from Chapel Hill, Roy Williams wanted everyone to know that the Univeristy of Michigan offered him the head football coaching position as well but he turned it down.

MChambers
12-10-2014, 08:34 AM
In a news release from Chapel Hill, Roy Williams wanted everyone to know that the Univeristy of Michigan offered him the head football coaching position as well but he turned it down.
Rumor is he said Michigan football is a disaster.

budwom
12-10-2014, 09:05 AM
The math would be pretty simple at Michigan: twice the money, ten times the pressure (at least). I imagine Cut will be getting (another) raise sometime in the near future....he has a
veteran staff which I strongly suspect values job security.

Mike Corey
12-10-2014, 09:19 AM
I have not been able to get independent confirmation that Michigan even spoke with Cutcliffe.

That doesn't mean anything, of course.

Would be curious to know if JimSumner, or anyone at Duke, addresses this on the record.

Merlindevildog91
12-10-2014, 09:24 AM

The Rev. Devildog (my better half) and I are in too. Never hurts to have the Lord and the law on your side....

Mike Corey
12-10-2014, 09:31 AM
Detroit News columnist says Cut was not offered the job. (https://twitter.com/bobwojnowski/status/542543786799558656)

Suggestion is that Michigan's search firm may have reached out to Cutcliffe, and Cutcliffe indicated no interest. But no confirmations or anything. Lots of speculation though.

Either way, good pub for Coach Cut and Duke.

freshmanjs
12-10-2014, 09:32 AM
Let's put this in perspective. The University of Michigan was trying to hire the Duke University FOOTBALL coach.

When, in the last 50 years has that EVER been conceivable?

Duke football is superior to Michigan football. Wow.

As for taking the Big House down brick-by-brick, be careful. It always was the quietest gathering of 100,000+ people, now they are facing the prospect of 20,000 to 30,000 unsold seats per game. It will be easy to hear the demolition.

top tier sports programs hire coaches from lower tier programs all the time. that doesn't imply that the lower tier program is superior. when florida hired urban meyer, that did not imply that utah is superior to florida football.

devildeac
12-10-2014, 09:34 AM
The Rev. Devildog (my better half) and I are in too. Never hurts to have the Lord and the law on your side....

Guess we'll need a bigger vehicle now:o. I like these types of accomplices. Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

devildeac
12-10-2014, 09:37 AM
Detroit News columnist says Cut was not offered the job. (https://twitter.com/bobwojnowski/status/542543786799558656)

Suggestion is that Michigan's search firm may have reached out to Cutcliffe, and Cutcliffe indicated no interest. But no confirmations or anything. Lots of speculation though.

Either way, good pub for Coach Cut and Duke.

Whew, no road trip needed. Speaking of good pub, when are we going to get together for that drink/dinner;)?

Dukehky
12-10-2014, 09:42 AM
I said locked up and I'll stand by it. He didn't take the Tennessee job when we were coming off 4-8, 5-7 seasons, certainly not what he has built now. He just got the stadium renovated. All his ties are to the South East, where he knows how recruiting like the back of his hand. If he ever left, it would be for the SEC, and that Tennessee job was home. So lets look at some elite jobs that Cut would probably think about. USC nor Texas would hire him because he isn't a big enough name from a big enough place. The fan bases would go nuts if they hired a Duke guy, so they probably wouldn't ask. Bama, LSU, Florida- Florida had their chance, I would have been a little concerned, but they went for Col St Coach. Duke to Florida head coach worked out pretty well for them last time. The other two are locked up for a long time, and Saban is definitely going to get the call on who succeeds him at Alabama, plus he and Cut are the same age.

No, I see Cut much more in the mold of a Bill Snyder at KSU than anything else at this stage in his career. We lucked out guys. Duke has given him everything he wanted and he gave Duke a football program. He isn't going anywhere. Plus, Duke would pay him whatever he wanted at this point.

freshmanjs
12-10-2014, 09:45 AM
I said locked up and I'll stand by it. He didn't take the Tennessee job when we were coming off 4-8, 5-7 seasons, certainly not what he has built now. He just got the stadium renovated. All his ties are to the South East, where he knows how recruiting like the back of his hand. If he ever left, it would be for the SEC, and that Tennessee job was home. So lets look at some elite jobs that Cut would probably think about. USC nor Texas would hire him because he isn't a big enough name from a big enough place. The fan bases would go nuts if they hired a Duke guy, so they probably wouldn't ask. Bama, LSU, Florida- Florida had their chance, I would have been a little concerned, but they went for Col St Coach. Duke to Florida head coach worked out pretty well for them last time. The other two are locked up for a long time, and Saban is definitely going to get the call on who succeeds him at Alabama, plus he and Cut are the same age.

No, I see Cut much more in the mold of a Bill Snyder at KSU than anything else at this stage in his career. We lucked out guys. Duke has given him everything he wanted and he gave Duke a football program. He isn't going anywhere. Plus, Duke would pay him whatever he wanted at this point.

Kansas fans probably said the same thing after Roy turned down UNC and had Kansas at the ultra-elite level afterwards

alteran
12-10-2014, 09:56 AM

Agreed. "Locked up" IS too strong. And we totally dodged a bullet with Tennessee.

At this point, Cutcliffe has really proven himself and SHOULD be considered for major coaching gigs. I hope he stays here, and I like our chances-- but we shouldn't take that for granted, and we should also acknowledge that because of the foundation Cut built, Duke is not the football wasteland it was just a few years ago. It's a real job now, and real candidates would be interested.

That being said, please please PLEASE let him stay here!

Mike Corey
12-10-2014, 09:57 AM
Whew, no road trip needed. Speaking of good pub, when are we going to get together for that drink/dinner;)?

Not soon enough.

:)

DBR editors: FWIW, the SI report you're citing in the new cover story doesn't independently report anything, unfortunately. They're solely citing the tweet from the NFL.com contributor.

alteran
12-10-2014, 10:10 AM

I SO want to spork this but cannot right now. :-(

Dukehky
12-10-2014, 10:14 AM
Kansas fans probably said the same thing after Roy turned down UNC and had Kansas at the ultra-elite level afterwards

The way I look at it, Duke dodged that bullet when he passed on Tennessee. UNC was an elite job that was where Roy came from. Tennessee is a very very good job that was where Cut came from. If he passed on that, he isn't leaving unless it is for Alabama.

Agreed. "Locked up" IS too strong. And we totally dodged a bullet with Tennessee.

At this point, Cutcliffe has really proven himself and SHOULD be considered for major coaching gigs. I hope he stays here, and I like our chances-- but we shouldn't take that for granted, and we should also acknowledge that because of the foundation Cut built, Duke is not the football wasteland it was just a few years ago. It's a real job now, and real candidates would be interested.

That being said, please please PLEASE let him stay here!

I am not sure that that's true just yet. Look, I love that Duke football is more than relevant, but that is due, in vast majority, to Cutcliffe. I think that we are well on our way to being a job that an established coach would want, but I'm not sure just yet. For us to be certain, we'll have to see how things go after Cut leaves, which I don't think will be for a while. You are totally right that with the facility updates that Cut essentially demanded and received, it is a more enticing job because you can show off "football" to recruits instead of just academics, which was the case for a long time.

I won't argue the point anymore because it seems kind of moot. At this point, I think the only other job Coach would take would be Alabama, others think differently. There isn't any real way for us to know until it happens. But so far we've dodged 2 major bullets in Tennessee and Michigan inquiring into our guy. More than anything I think that helps us with recruiting.

Kid from Cali/Texas/Florida who gets a Duke letter and throws it away- Oh man, Michigan wanted Cutcliffe? Maybe I should go look at Duke now, I didn't know that their coach was that good.

freshmanjs
12-10-2014, 10:17 AM
The way I look at it, Duke dodged that bullet when he passed on Tennessee. UNC was an elite job that was where Roy came from. Tennessee is a very very good job that was where Cut came from. If he passed on that, he isn't leaving unless it is for Alabama.

that's just the point. kansas thought they dodged the unc bullet when roy turned it down. but, it came back around and things were different the next time.

Dukehky
12-10-2014, 10:25 AM
that's just the point. kansas thought they dodged the unc bullet when roy turned it down. but, it came back around and things were different the next time.

I forgot about the first time they offered Roy, you're right. I just follow Tennessee football a little bit and think Butch Jones is sticking around for a while, he did a really good job. Hence why I think the bullet has been effectively dodged. But if I'm wrong, then that leaves 2 jobs that Cut would leave for; Bama and Tennessee. I'll take the odds of those jobs being occupied and Cut being happy at Duke for the rest of his coaching career.

Also, apparently Michigan didn't call Cut or Kevin White about coaching vacancy. So... dead thread?

devildeac
12-10-2014, 10:27 AM

If I hear Cut quoted as having said, "I don't give a @#$% about m*chigan now," then I'll start getting worried:rolleyes:.

killerleft
12-10-2014, 10:43 AM
If you're at the Coliseum, aren't you obliged to go across the street and get 'que from Stamey's? Maybe Mad Hatters will let you BYOQ, and you can still enjoy their suds.

If the group so chooses, I will go (though leaving the scene of the launch has its advantages:)). Maybe a little backblast from the missile will improve the 'que! Seriously, I've possibly not experienced their best, I hope. Gave it at least a couple tries. It's always been a puzzler because they seem to do things right. Big ole' pit, that good barbeque joint atmosphere... I've wondered since if they perhaps use a mix of wood that includes one that shouldn't be used for open-pit cooking.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-10-2014, 10:45 AM
Also, apparently Michigan didn't call Cut or Kevin White about coaching vacancy. So... dead thread?

This whole process of speculating began with one person who had no information, real or otherwise. The sort of contact that's been talked about isn't even how searches for football coaches take place.

Mike Corey
12-10-2014, 10:46 AM
Duke is now on the record (http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2014/12/duke_says_david_cutcliffe_has.html)that Michigan has not contacted Coach Cut.

"Neither coach Cutcliffe nor Kevin White, our vice president and director of athletics, have been contacted by anyone at the University of Michigan regarding that institution's head football coaching vacancy," Duke spokesman Art Chase told MLive.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-10-2014, 10:47 AM
Duke is now on the record (http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2014/12/duke_says_david_cutcliffe_has.html)that Michigan has not contacted Coach Cut.

Thank you, Mike.

TexHawk
12-10-2014, 11:06 AM

It's not terribly difficult. Roy can talk and cry all he wants about "his kids", but it's pretty easy to see why he made those decisions.

First time around...
KU roster: Nick Collison, Kirk Hinrich, Drew Gooden had just finished their freshman year. Jeff Boschee, about to be a junior. That core was one year away from back-to-back Final Fours. Those first three are still playing in the NBA.
UNC roster: Jason Capel, Kris Lang, Adam Boone. (Forte and Haywood were there in 2001, but gone the next year.) This core was one year away from 8-20.

Second time around...
KU roster: Collison/Hinrich graduating. A one-armed Wayne Simien. Keith Langford and Aaron Miles were sophomores, but better as complimentary players than stars. Marvin Williams would have come to KU if Roy had stayed. David Padgett and JR Giddens were signed, but Padgett eventually left a year after Roy bolted.
UNC roster: May/Felton/McCants/Williams. You guys know all about them.

If I were you, I *might* be worried if Michigan was coming off a recruiting year that brought them the football equivalent of May/Felton/McCants, and they needed a mature coach to reign them in, but they aren't in that position.

freshmanjs
12-10-2014, 11:09 AM
It's not terribly difficult. Roy can talk and cry all he wants about "his kids", but it's pretty easy to see why he made those decisions.

First time around...
KU roster: Nick Collison, Kirk Hinrich, Drew Gooden had just finished their freshman year. Jeff Boschee, about to be a junior. That core was one year away from back-to-back Final Fours. Those first three are still playing in the NBA.
UNC roster: Jason Capel, Kris Lang, Adam Boone. (Forte and Haywood were there in 2001, but gone the next year.) This core was one year away from 8-20.

Second time around...
KU roster: Collison/Hinrich graduating. A one-armed Wayne Simien. Keith Langford and Aaron Miles were sophomores, but better as complimentary players than stars. Marvin Williams would have come to KU if Roy had stayed. David Padgett and JR Giddens were signed, but Padgett eventually left a year after Roy bolted.
UNC roster: May/Felton/McCants/Williams. You guys know all about them.

If I were you, I *might* be worried if Michigan was coming off a recruiting year that brought them the football equivalent of May/Felton/McCants, and they needed a mature coach to reign them in, but they aren't in that position.

i'm not worried about michigan at all. i'm disagreeing with the point that Cut is "locked up" and there is no way he'd leave now that he turned down TN once. your point reinforces what i'm saying. circumstances change and what looks like a lock sometimes isn't at a different point in time. also, of course Cut is not Roy.

FerryFor50
12-10-2014, 11:25 AM
Apparently he already turned it down:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/david-cutcliffe-reportedly-turned-down-michigan-job-124501911.html

roywhite
12-10-2014, 11:25 AM

I'm not concerned about Coach Cut going to Michigan, but I suspect the subject has come up in the modern way -- a Michigan representative contacts an agent for Coach Cut, tells him that they're interested in him for the job, and they go from there. If Coach Cut tells the agent that he's interested, THEN Michigan would contact Duke to request they be allowed to set up an interview. If Coach Cut were not interested, then he just tells the agent "no way" and that's the end of things. So now, all parties can say there has been no (direct) contact.

At any rate, Michigan's search continues, and Duke is quite happy and lucky to have Coach Cut.

CameronBornAndBred
12-10-2014, 11:34 AM
It's a moot point, but I would have gone.

In late Spring.

Billy Dat
12-10-2014, 11:43 AM
Do we assume that Cut's "people" are currently in major contract renegotiation mode with Kevin White? Look what K got when the Lakers came courting about 10 years ago..a lot of $ and a some sweet new facilities. Obviously, the new facilities are happening but hopefully the man is being made to feel valued commensurate with his apparent demand.

killerleft
12-10-2014, 12:14 PM

I'm guessing that now they're thinking, "I'm sure glad he's not in Kansas anymore."

howardlander
12-10-2014, 12:19 PM

Right. No one at Michigan. That does not mean Michigan's search firm didn't ask his agent. Not saying they did either....

Bluedog
12-10-2014, 12:23 PM
Do we assume that Cut's "people" are currently in major contract renegotiation mode with Kevin White? Look what K got when the Lakers came courting about 10 years ago..a lot of $ and a some sweet new facilities. Obviously, the new facilities are happening but hopefully the man is being made to feel valued commensurate with his apparent demand.

Duke gave Cut a contract extension back in 2012 through 2019 with a new deal. He earned $1.8M before that, so presumably his new deal is more than that. Not sure if he's getting market rate or not, but it seems to me that Duke definitely has made HUGE financial commitments to the football program (facilitates, coaching staff, etc.). I don't think we assume anything -- but I have no insider knowledge. The money at Duke is also basically guaranteed -- if you go to a place like Michigan and aren't competing for conference championships in a few years, they may fire you....Not great job security there.

Duvall
12-10-2014, 12:28 PM
Right. No one at Michigan. That does not mean Michigan's search firm didn't ask his agent. Not saying they did either....

Also said this:

Chase included third party contact when discussing any reported interactions between the two parties.

Mike Corey
12-10-2014, 12:44 PM
Truthfully, which program is closer to the College Football Playoffs right now: Duke or Michigan? It would be hard to make an argument for the latter, IMO.

Michigan is a terrific university with a storied history. But it's been on a downhill slide for a while. It hasn't won a conference title since '04; has only finished with double-digit wins twice in that timespan ('06 and '11). And it has lost 10 of 11 to Ohio State and 6 of 7 to Michigan State, the Wolverines' two primary rivals. Michigan hasn't ended a season with a ranking since 2012, when it finished 24th.

jimsumner
12-10-2014, 12:44 PM
top tier sports programs hire coaches from lower tier programs all the time. that doesn't imply that the lower tier program is superior. when florida hired urban meyer, that did not imply that utah is superior to florida football.

But Meyer didn't turn down Florida to stay at Utah.

flyingdutchdevil
12-10-2014, 12:50 PM
Duke gave Cut a contract extension back in 2012 through 2019 with a new deal. He earned $1.8M before that, so presumably his new deal is more than that. Not sure if he's getting market rate or not, but it seems to me that Duke definitely has made HUGE financial commitments to the football program (facilitates, coaching staff, etc.). I don't think we assume anything -- but I have no insider knowledge. The money at Duke is also basically guaranteed -- if you go to a place like Michigan and aren't competing for conference championships in a few years, they may fire you....Not great job security there.

I really like this post. When you're 60, job security is incredibly important. For most of us, we make the most amount of money at the tail end of our careers. I know Cutcliffe is swimming in dough but a few extra (millions of) dollars don't hurt.

However, if Cutcliffe doesn't feel the need to make more money and is after NCs, then moving to Michigan (or Florida, or whoever) makes an incredible amount of sense. Duke is a legitimate college football program with a modern (very modern) history of success. But getting to compete for NCs and BCS-playoffs and Big 4 Bowls is a tall order that maybe no coach could accomplish at Duke. A bigger recruiting pipeline / geographic base would absolutely help with that.

devildeac
12-10-2014, 01:09 PM
Truthfully, which program is closer to the College Football Playoffs right now: Duke or Michigan? It would be hard to make an argument for the latter, IMO.

Michigan is a terrific university with a storied history. But it's been on a downhill slide for a while. It hasn't won a conference title since '04; has only finished with double-digit wins twice in that timespan ('06 and '11). And it has lost 10 of 11 to Ohio State and 6 of 7 to Michigan State, the Wolverines' two primary rivals. Michigan hasn't ended a season with a ranking since 2012, when it finished 24th.

Rivals? What rivals? They have maryland now:rolleyes:.

Duvall
12-10-2014, 01:16 PM
I really like this post. When you're 60, job security is incredibly important. For most of us, we make the most amount of money at the tail end of our careers. I know Cutcliffe is swimming in dough but a few extra (millions of) dollars don't hurt.

However, if Cutcliffe doesn't feel the need to make more money and is after NCs, then moving to Michigan (or Florida, or whoever) makes an incredible amount of sense. Duke is a legitimate college football program with a modern (very modern) history of success. But getting to compete for NCs and BCS-playoffs and Big 4 Bowls is a tall order that maybe no coach could accomplish at Duke. A bigger recruiting pipeline / geographic base would absolutely help with that.

That's an argument for considering a job offer from a school with a solid foundation. I'm not sure Michigan, with its athletic department still somewhat in disarray, qualifies right now. Florida probably would have. There are jobs that I suspect Cutcliffe would consider taking over Duke, but there aren't many, and those programs are likely to aim higher than a 60-year-old coach.

freshmanjs
12-10-2014, 01:49 PM
But Meyer didn't turn down Florida to stay at Utah.

brad stevens turned down ucla to stay at butler. shaka smart turned down lots of top-flight jobs. that does not mean that butler or vcu are superior. there is a such a thing as the right fit and the right time. it doesn't always imply "superiority" for a coach to stay somewhere

DrChainsaw
12-10-2014, 01:49 PM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the NY Jets offer him.

Of course, I've been a Jets fan for over 40 years, so my fingers are pretty much permanently crossed. But if there's anyone who can turn them around, I'm thinking it's Coach Cut.

:D

BD80
12-10-2014, 02:45 PM

Of course, I've been a Jets fan for over 40 years, so my fingers are pretty much permanently crossed. But if there's anyone who can turn them around, I'm thinking it's Coach Cut.

The only guy that could turn the Jets around died about 2000 years ago.

NashvilleDevil
12-10-2014, 03:02 PM
brad stevens turned down ucla to stay at butler. shaka smart turned down lots of top-flight jobs. that does not mean that butler or vcu are superior. there is a such a thing as the right fit and the right time. it doesn't always imply "superiority" for a coach to stay somewhere

Tough to compare college basketball and college football. We have seen some mid-majors make the Final Four the last 10 years. In college football it is usually the same group of teams making the BCS title game and this year was anyone really surprised that the playoff consisted of those 4 teams?

budwom
12-10-2014, 03:03 PM
^very funny and almost certainly true. Not sure he would have bothered though...

TheDuckStore
12-10-2014, 04:37 PM
Chris Mortensen reported on ESPN this afternoon that he spoke with Coach Cut and confirmed with Kevin White that Michigan never reached out to Coach Cut or Duke. Mortensen further opined that he believed Cut would only leave Duke for the 'right' NFL job with "stable ownership," and that Cut is full of energy following his bypass surgery. He referred to Cut as a sleeper candidate for indeterminate job openings... very vague.

ricks68
12-10-2014, 05:43 PM
Coach Cutcliffe has stated in the past that he is a Duke guy, period. End of discussion IMHO.

He initially stated that he came to Duke because the stress of coaching at Tennessee greatly contributed to his heart problem, and he felt that his life with family was more important than his big program coaching aspirations. He loved the family atmosphere at Duke, and what Duke-----both the administration and the fans--- expected of him. Win or lose, he is the kind of coach we need, and we are the kind of school and the kind of fans he needs. He came through for us while we were coming through for him as he built the program. He has stated this same philosophy in the recent past, and I do not believe this is going to change. It ain't the money. He is paid plenty, and more plenty is not going to induce him to leave. He has been an inspiration to our players, our fans, and our entire school. I think that I can speak for all of us Dukies that because integrity, academic success, and everything else that goes along with that, is a centerpiece of Coach Cut's program, we will stay loyal to him, win or lose on the field. I believe he knows that, also.

That's it from my end.

He ain't goin' anywhere.:)

ricks

subzero02
12-10-2014, 07:14 PM
Rivals? What rivals? They have maryland now:rolleyes:.

I thought Penn State had Maryland as a rival... Maryland was pretty adamant. It's a "shotgun" rivalry.

cspan37421
12-10-2014, 07:18 PM
Mortensen further opined that he believed Cut would only leave Duke for the 'right' NFL job with "stable ownership,"

So it's the Redskins, is it?

:rolleyes:

SoCalDukeFan
12-10-2014, 07:18 PM

Once fired Pete Carroll so they could hire Rick Kotite.

SoCal

freshmanjs
12-10-2014, 09:34 PM
Tough to compare college basketball and college football. We have seen some mid-majors make the Final Four the last 10 years. In college football it is usually the same group of teams making the BCS title game and this year was anyone really surprised that the playoff consisted of those 4 teams?

so in college football, anytime a coach turns down a job, that means his current school is a superior football program to the school turned down?

johnb
12-11-2014, 01:02 PM
I think Cut has been saying it's healthier for him to stay at Duke that go to a large state school with different expectations. All the evidence indicates that beyond a certain amount, money doesn't make you happier.

We can assume he wouldn't mind coaching 4 and 5 star players on a consistent basis, directing a legitimate top 10 football program, and wondering how he is going to possibly squeeze out some extra tickets for friends when the huge stadium is already full. OTOH, he has already done that and has repeatedly stated that Duke (and Duke student-athletes) are more to his liking. I think he also believes he is able to recruit outstanding coaches and to recruit guys who can successfully compete against more highly recruited players.

Would he go coach an NFL team? Maybe--it'd be an interesting challenge. And, unlike some college coaches who flame out in the NFL, I'd think he's do well. I have doubts as to whether he'd be happy, however, and so I'm thinking he'll retire with us.

-bdbd
12-11-2014, 02:14 PM
I thought Penn State had Maryland as a rival... Maryland was pretty adamant. It's a "shotgun" rivalry.

NO! Maryland has THEM as a rival. As we've seen with Maryland, it doesn't necessarily need to be reciprocated for them to claim it as a rivalry...

:p

TheDuckStore
12-12-2014, 01:47 PM
So it's the Redskins, is it?

:rolleyes:

I know, right?

Seriously though... I get the feeling Mortensen is referencing the 49ers (this based on no actual evidence). A good franchise, good fan base, good defense and a young QB in need of development? This is the type of job I believe Cut would be a sleeper for.

BD80
12-12-2014, 02:26 PM
I know, right?

Seriously though... I get the feeling Mortensen is referencing the 49ers (this based on no actual evidence). A good franchise, good fan base, good defense and a young QB in need of development? This is the type of job I believe Cut would be a sleeper for.

Don't think the 9'ers are the type of team for Cut, strong willed veterans that are clashing with Harbaugh. Cut would need a more coachable team to make it worth his while. Not sure Kaepernick can develop all that much

Dev11
12-12-2014, 04:16 PM
Thread title slightly altered for accuracy.

Carry on