PDA

View Full Version : And the Jayhawks again...

DukeWarhead
12-09-2014, 03:55 PM
I don't go searching this stuff out, I really don't. It just pops up (again.)

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12000993/jamari-traylor-kansas-jayhawks-suspended-one-game-arrest

Duvall
12-09-2014, 04:20 PM
I don't go searching this stuff out, I really don't. It just pops up (again.)

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12000993/jamari-traylor-kansas-jayhawks-suspended-one-game-arrest

"Interfering with a police officer"? Going to need more information than that before caring.

Actually, I probably wouldn't care even then.

brevity
12-09-2014, 04:55 PM
"Interfering with a police officer"? Going to need more information than that before caring.

Actually, I probably wouldn't care even then.

I don't know about this particular jurisdiction (or the situation here), but "interfering with a police officer" covers a wide range of misdemeanor acts where a person repeatedly doesn't listen to an officer's instructions. You might see it where Officer asks to question Person A individually, and Person B keeps interrupting. If the Officer feels his or her investigation is being hindered, then Person B might be placed under arrest, even if the ultimate interaction with Person A amounts to nothing.

Two common examples:

1. Person A is a driver who is stopped and asked to exit the car by Officer, and Person B is a passenger not under suspicion who keeps leaving the car and getting involved.

2. Persons A and B have a domestic dispute with minor or no injuries, and Officers are unable to keep them separated because Person B is being too disruptive. Maybe Person A and Person B have a child, so the Officers arrest Person B for interference, even if they determined that Person A was the primary instigator. This way the two are temporarily separated and one parent remains at home.

I would normally file this under Not-A-Big-Deal, but there's a heightened escalation these days between Not-A-Big-Deal and A-Very-Big-Deal. The rest is PPB.

DukeWarhead
12-10-2016, 10:20 AM
Sorry, Jayhawks fans. I know this is annoying. Maybe I'll stop when the boys in Lawrence quit providing the fodder (seemingly every season)

Jayhawks' Carlton Bragg Jr. arrested on battery charge (http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18242698/kansas-jayhawks-forward-carlton-bragg-jr-arrested-suspicion-domestic-battery)

Channing
12-14-2016, 08:42 AM
Oy Vei...

Headline: "Kansas Fan's Hysterical Rant about Suspended Forward Carlton Bragg Has Some Good Points, Some Bad Points, A Big Finish"

http://thebiglead.com/2016/12/13/kansas-fans-hysterical-rant-about-suspended-forward-carlton-bragg-has-some-good-points-some-bad-points-a-big-finish/

Dr. Rosenrosen
12-14-2016, 08:58 AM
Oy Vei...

Headline: "Kansas Fan's Hysterical Rant about Suspended Forward Carlton Bragg Has Some Good Points, Some Bad Points, A Big Finish"

http://thebiglead.com/2016/12/13/kansas-fans-hysterical-rant-about-suspended-forward-carlton-bragg-has-some-good-points-some-bad-points-a-big-finish/
Hilarious. Sounded more like a uncCHeat fan.

flyingdutchdevil
12-14-2016, 08:59 AM
Oy Vei...

That's passion on a whole new level. I mean, I hope to never meet a Duke fan that passionate.

moonpie23
12-14-2016, 10:26 AM
I hope to never meet a Duke fan that passionate.

then just agree with me when i say "boozer was fouled" or "jj was mugged"

Billy Dat
12-14-2016, 10:28 AM
That's passion on a whole new level. I mean, I hope to never meet a Duke fan that passionate.

I agree. There are levels of fanaticism that are truly scary. There is a very good documentary on the Alabama/Auburn rivalry "Roll Tide/War Eagle"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEPpM92n5H4

...where a Bama fan is essentially proven to have poisoned (he served jail time) Auburn famous and beautiful 100+ year old oak trees at Toomer's Corners.

What would be the Duke equivalent, taking sledgehammers to UNC's Old Well? I can't imagine someone doing that. Don't get any ideas, people...

niveklaen
12-14-2016, 10:45 AM
Oy Vei...

Great - this will be another DV case involving an athlete where people will claim that the only reason that the charges against him got dismissed is because he is an athlete and bemoan the double standard. Which is infuriating to me as a former public defender and county prosecutor. 98% of these cases end in dismissal because the victim refuses to testify. This case's likely dismissal wont have anything to do with a double standard (cant say about other cases - no colleges in my rural jurisdictions...).

Edouble
12-14-2016, 11:47 AM
I agree. There are levels of fanaticism that are truly scary. There is a very good documentary on the Alabama/Auburn rivalry "Roll Tide/War Eagle"...

...where a Bama fan is essentially proven to have poisoned (he served jail time) Auburn famous and beautiful 100+ year old oak trees at Toomer's Corners.

What would be the Duke equivalent, taking sledgehammers to UNC's Old Well? I can't imagine someone doing that. Don't get any ideas, people...

The tree was really beautiful though.

That well is stupid. I had to go over there once and saw it in passing. I mean, there are like 20 spots on Duke's campus that absolutely dwarf that lame well. Even Baldwin Auditorium is better and that's not even on Main West.

flyingdutchdevil
12-14-2016, 12:29 PM
The tree was really beautiful though.

That well is stupid. I had to go over there once and saw it in passing. I mean, there are like 20 spots on Duke's campus that absolutely dwarf that lame well. Even Baldwin Auditorium is better and that's not even on Main West.

What if a Bama fan just urinated on the tree. Isn't that insulting to the whole school while keeping the tree the same? Actually, with all the nitrates in your urine, you'd be helping the tree out!

I think it's comparable to the Old Well: don't destroy it, just pee in it!

BD80
12-14-2016, 01:50 PM
I agree. There are levels of fanaticism that are truly scary. ...

The old well ain't so bad, it just needs a fresh coat of paint

alteran
12-14-2016, 02:02 PM

I agree it's a little underwhelming when you actually see it in person. The icon of it is actually significantly better than the well itself.

Of course, on the list of things that suck at UNC and need to be improved, it's about number 3,426,722.

DukieInKansas
12-14-2016, 02:29 PM
I agree it's a little underwhelming when you actually see it in person. The icon of it is actually significantly better than the well itself.

Of course, on the list of things that suck at UNC and need to be improved, it's about number 3,426,722.

Interesting that it was modeled after the Temple of Love at Versailles. Wasn't Versailles thought to be a symbol of decadence and Louis XIV thought he deserved all of the excesses spent in tribute to him?

MarkD83
12-14-2016, 06:50 PM
The old well ain't so bad, it just needs a fresh coat of paint

And what color paint might it need. This sounds like a challenge to do something completely foolish

BD80
12-14-2016, 06:54 PM
And what color paint might it need. This sounds like a challenge to do something completely foolish

and 40 years ago, I'd have been just the man for the job ...

MarkD83
12-14-2016, 07:09 PM
and 40 years ago, I'd have been just the man for the job ...

And 36 years ago I was foolish enough to be part of a group to properly paint the DKE house at unc

MarkD83
12-14-2016, 07:10 PM
I hope the statute of limitations has been meet

BD80
12-14-2016, 07:16 PM
I hope the statute of limitations has been meet

Or would it be the Statue of Limitations in this instance.

DukeWarhead
12-15-2016, 01:01 PM
Looks like I have a bit of crow to eat, seeing that Bragg has been reinstated and charges being filed against his accuser instead. In this case, he will not be joining the Jailhawks. Wish him well for the season.

BandAlum83
12-15-2016, 01:20 PM

I moved to Atlanta, GA 25 years ago to join Arthur Andersen. The place was filled with partners, managers, staff who graduated from UGA. Talk about fanaticism!

If the dogs lost on a Saturday, the office was not somewhere you wanted to be on a Monday. It's as though their personal manhood had been questioned or emasculated. The place would be filled with anger and depression.

I was convinced that the level of fanaticism would result in recruiting violations because of booster activity.

BTW, the ACC has never even existed for these people. It's what got me started on my true disdain for the SEC.

Devil2
12-15-2016, 01:22 PM
Looks like I have a bit of crow to eat, seeing that Bragg has been reinstated and charges being filed against his accuser instead. In this case, he will not be joining the Jailhawks. Wish him well for the season.

Apparently there was surveillance video that showed the women instigated the incident and he just pushed her away

BandAlum83
12-15-2016, 01:41 PM
Great - this will be another DV case involving an athlete where people will claim that the only reason that the charges against him got dismissed is because he is an athlete and bemoan the double standard. Which is infuriating to me as a former public defender and county prosecutor. 98% of these cases end in dismissal because the victim refuses to testify. This case's likely dismissal wont have anything to do with a double standard (cant say about other cases - no colleges in my rural jurisdictions...).

Legally speaking, is a dismissal the same as a diversion? :confused:

BandAlum83
12-15-2016, 01:42 PM
What if a Bama fan just urinated on the tree. Isn't that insulting to the whole school while keeping the tree the same? Actually, with all the nitrates in your urine, you'd be helping the tree out!

I think it's comparable to the Old Well: don't destroy it, just pee in it!

The high levels of Meth in the type of Bama fan that would do that might be enough to kill the tree.

TexHawk
12-15-2016, 02:28 PM
Cute. :/

Btw, KC college sports media is a weird thing. Roughly speaking, 1/2 KU, 1/4 KSU, 1/4 Mizzou (and sinking). You don't make money by being positive when it comes to KU. You make money by ripping KU, which brings in the giddy KSU/Mizzou crowd + the angry KU group who can't help themselves. 99.9% sure that caller was a troll/plant. That was Kevin Kietzman's radio show, a blatantly pro-Kansas State outfit.

The topic of domestic violence is pretty sensitive in the area these days, mostly brought on by the Tyreek Hill situation.

niveklaen
12-15-2016, 02:30 PM
Legally speaking, is a dismissal the same as a diversion? :confused:

Its going to differ from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, but most commonly diversion is a path to dismissal - we divert your charges from the normal court process and if you complete community service/counseling/pay fees and stay out of trouble for some period of time (I have talked to attys from different jurisdictions who have told me of periods ranging from 6 months to 5 years) then and only then are the charges dismissed. In some places you have to enter a plea of guilty as part of the diversion so that the court can just accept the plea if you screw up. Other places you don't have to enter a plea and you maintain your right to trial should you screw up.

I was talking about a straight dismissal based on non-cooperation by the alleged victim which is super common in DV cases. Diversion still leaves you at risk and requires you to jump through hoops.

I obviously failed to consider the possibility that he was actually innocent - bad on me

BD80
12-15-2016, 08:39 PM
Apparently there was surveillance video that showed the women instigated the incident and he just pushed her away

Up the stairs. She fell into ascending stairs.

Interesting that our recruits (Carter, Knox) are commenting on this on Twitter, good to see them learning from the misfortune of another high profile player.

BandAlum83
12-16-2016, 11:15 PM
Its going to differ from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, but most commonly diversion is a path to dismissal - we divert your charges from the normal court process and if you complete community service/counseling/pay fees and stay out of trouble for some period of time (I have talked to attys from different jurisdictions who have told me of periods ranging from 6 months to 5 years) then and only then are the charges dismissed. In some places you have to enter a plea of guilty as part of the diversion so that the court can just accept the plea if you screw up. Other places you don't have to enter a plea and you maintain your right to trial should you screw up.

I was talking about a straight dismissal based on non-cooperation by the alleged victim which is super common in DV cases. Diversion still leaves you at risk and requires you to jump through hoops.

I obviously failed to consider the possibility that he was actually innocent - bad on me

I was actually saying it tongue in cheek. I was referring to the caller repeatedly yelling that the athlete (don't know and don't care what his name is) would get a "diversion".

I didn't know it was such a thing. I thought he kept yelling the wrong word. I guess I am the ignorant one :(

MChambers
02-02-2017, 08:37 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/02/sports/ncaabasketball/kansas-jayhawks-baylor-bears.html?hpw&rref=sports&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well&_r=0

Meanwhile, ESPN is busily investigating the latest Grayson Allen "episode".

sagegrouse
02-02-2017, 09:25 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/02/sports/ncaabasketball/kansas-jayhawks-baylor-bears.html?hpw&rref=sports&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well&_r=0

Meanwhile, ESPN is busily investigating the latest Grayson Allen "episode".

The Jayhawk mafia have struck: the title of the MChambers post should have been "NYT article on the problems at Kansas." Instead, "NYT" got edited to "Not."

Nugget
02-02-2017, 09:26 PM

One thing to keep in mind about this is that, as to the Vick allegations, while (if true) they would be awful, due to exactly the same Federal privacy protections that prevented Duke/Coach K from speaking on the swirling rumors/allegations about Rasheed Sulaimon (irrespective of the press reporting on the subject) Kansas and Self really can't say much about Vick's status or the underlying events if he wasn't criminally charged or formally disciplined by the University.

westwall
02-02-2017, 09:37 PM
The Jayhawk mafia have struck: the title of the MChambers post should have been "NYT article on the problems at Kansas." Instead, "NYT" got edited to "Not."

Mexico did wonders for your visual acuity. Good catch!

Indoor66
02-03-2017, 07:54 AM

Sounds appropriate to me! :cool:

flyingdutchdevil
02-03-2017, 01:10 PM
Jackson listed in a vandalism case: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18609289/lagerald-vick-josh-jackson-kansas-jayhawks-eyed-vandalism-case

KU has to be the new UCONN, right? I mean, they seem to get in trouble every other year. And this year is crazy, with three players involved in THREE separate incidents. And that doesn't count Bragg's poor judgment in choosing the ladies...

DukeWarhead
02-03-2017, 01:41 PM
Jackson listed in a vandalism case: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18609289/lagerald-vick-josh-jackson-kansas-jayhawks-eyed-vandalism-case

KU has to be the new UCONN, right? I mean, they seem to get in trouble every other year. And this year is crazy, with three players involved in THREE separate incidents. And that doesn't count Bragg's poor judgment in choosing the ladies...

That's what I've been saying for a while now. Jayhawk fans are quick to defend their program, as all fan bases would be, but good luck with this latest round of sheesh.

subzero02
02-03-2017, 01:59 PM

I didn't know what you were referring to so I did a little research. Probably shouldn't have gone into the stairwell... that's one of the few ways a man who is 6'10" could get slapped in the face by a 5'5" woman.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article120942103.html

Steven43
02-03-2017, 02:13 PM
then just agree with me when i say "boozer was fouled" or "jj was mugged"

You're right. Those were obviously bad no-calls and might well have cost Duke two national championships. Sure, there were more games to be won, but I'll bet Duke would have been favored in all of them. I haven't forgotten or forgiven and probably never will.

duke4ever19
02-03-2017, 02:44 PM
This crime stuff ain't nothin'. I hear there's some kid at Duke who trips people! Let's get him!!

madscavenger
02-03-2017, 02:49 PM
Wait a minute, did Wayne Walden go back to Kansas?

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-03-2017, 04:59 PM

The comments section is hilarious. Reads like a who's who of elementary school playground bullies. They could give Walmart tar holers a run for their money.

MChambers
02-03-2017, 05:28 PM

This is what happens when I type on an iPad!

OldPhiKap
02-03-2017, 06:02 PM
This is what happens when I type on an iPad!

I keep getting "nyet" so I think my computer has been hacked.

flyingdutchdevil
02-23-2017, 12:26 PM
Another arrest on the Jayhawks team: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18748820/kansas-guard-devonte-graham-apologizes-traffic-warrant-arrest

Self may be the most consistent coach in America, but the man cannot keep his team from getting in trouble.

What the hell is going on in Lawrence?

FerryFor50
02-23-2017, 12:39 PM
Another arrest on the Jayhawks team: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18748820/kansas-guard-devonte-graham-apologizes-traffic-warrant-arrest

Self may be the most consistent coach in America, but the man cannot keep his team from getting in trouble.

What the hell is going on in Lawrence?

"Graham said he was driving an ex-teammate's car and thought the ticket had been paid"

So, on the surface, a pretty innocent mistake.

But wait... "driving an ex-teammate's car"? Does that fall into the realm of "impermissible benefit"?

flyingdutchdevil
02-23-2017, 12:44 PM
"Graham said he was driving an ex-teammate's car and thought the ticket had been paid"

So, on the surface, a pretty innocent mistake.

But wait... "driving an ex-teammate's car"? Does that fall into the realm of "impermissible benefit"?

Seeming innocent or not seeming innocent, this is the 5th incident involving the law that the Jayhawks have faced this year (maybe forth. I lost track).

It's pretty crazy.

TexHawk
02-23-2017, 02:01 PM
Seeming innocent or not seeming innocent, this is the 5th incident involving the law that the Jayhawks have faced this year (maybe forth. I lost track).

It's pretty crazy.

I've wasted enough words on here about this stuff over the years, so I won't continue. But I would just hope that folks would be careful about lumping an expired plate citation (Graham) in with a possible domestic violence incident (Vick). That doesn't help anything.

flyingdutchdevil
02-23-2017, 02:05 PM
I've wasted enough words on here about this stuff over the years, so I won't continue. But I would just hope that folks would be careful about lumping an expired plate citation (Graham) in with a possible domestic violence incident (Vick). That doesn't help anything.

But TexHawk, you gotta admit that this is crazy, no? With all these run ins with the law?

UK, UCLA, Duke, UNC, and Indiana (all Blue Bloods) combined don't have half the number of runs in with the law this year (although Duke has tripping issues and UCLA has father-running-his-mouth issues. How is UK the darling this year?!?!?!?!)

luburch
02-23-2017, 03:00 PM
But TexHawk, you gotta admit that this is crazy, no? With all these run ins with the law?

UK, UCLA, Duke, UNC, and Indiana (all Blue Bloods) combined don't have half the number of runs in with the law this year (although Duke has tripping issues and UCLA has father-running-his-mouth issues. How is UK the darling this year?!?!?!?!)

Not this year, but Indiana has had quite a few issues with players and law enforcement. Usually drinking/drug related.

TexHawk
03-08-2017, 11:03 AM
I will post this here before someone else does...
Matt Tait‏
@mctait
BREAKING: #KUbball has suspended Josh Jackson for Thursday's Big 12 tourney game for a Feb. 2 traffic accident.

LasVegas
03-08-2017, 11:29 AM
Man, another incident. I used to quietly root for Kansas but this is making it hard.....

lifelongdevil
03-08-2017, 11:48 AM
I will post this here before someone else does...
Matt Tait‏
@mctait
BREAKING: #KUbball has suspended Josh Jackson for Thursday's Big 12 tourney game for a Feb. 2 traffic accident.

Michelle Beadle advocated for someone to punch/beat-up Grayson as retribution for tripping, do we think she wants someone to run Jackson over with a car?:confused:

TexHawk
03-08-2017, 11:49 AM
For clarity, and those who don't want to look it up... Jackson backed into another car in a campus parking lot and left the scene without leaving contact info. He compounded it by not telling the coaching staff.

As I said above, people are free to make their own judgements on the state of the entire Kansas program when stuff like this happens, but I reserve my anxiety for more serious offenses (like Vick allegedly assaulting his girlfriend).

LasVegas
03-08-2017, 12:07 PM
For clarity, and those who don't want to look it up... Jackson backed into another car in a campus parking lot and left the scene without leaving contact info. He compounded it by not telling the coaching staff.

As I said above, people are free to make their own judgements on the state of the entire Kansas program when stuff like this happens, but I reserve my anxiety for more serious offenses (like Vick allegedly assaulting his girlfriend).

It's definitely something minor, in my eyes. I mean, it sounds like a stupid mistake a kid will make. But this is becoming a big snowball.

flyingdutchdevil
03-08-2017, 12:10 PM
It's definitely something minor, in my eyes. I mean, it sounds like a stupid mistake a kid will make. But this is becoming a big snowball.

Agreed. A lot of the charges are relatively minor that most teens/early 20 kids would make (parking violations, driving someone else's car, drug paraphernalia). But it's a trend. And a disturbing one.

Doria
03-08-2017, 12:37 PM
Agreed. A lot of the charges are relatively minor that most teens/early 20 kids would make (parking violations, driving someone else's car, drug paraphernalia). But it's a trend. And a disturbing one.

Yeah, most of these are just stupid mistakes, but are we to really believe that the coaching staff at a major sports program doesn't actually tell their players what to do in case of [X] or [Y]? I wrote off most of these as just dumb kids, but it's hard not to see a trend now.

TexHawk
03-08-2017, 12:59 PM
Yeah, most of these are just stupid mistakes, but are we to really believe that the coaching staff at a major sports program doesn't actually tell their players what to do in case of [X] or [Y]? I wrote off most of these as just dumb kids, but it's hard not to see a trend now.

Not sure I follow. The coaching staff does have a policy, Jackson broke it, and got suspended.

WillJ
03-08-2017, 01:24 PM
With the important exception of UNC, I wish we wouldn't get so excited about other schools' peccadilloes. All the ridiculousness about Allen this year has led me to rethink my own schadenfreude about other schools' minor problems. Again, excepting UNC....whose problems are not minor.

Hingeknocker
03-08-2017, 02:17 PM
My only interest in these stories is viewing them through the lens of "what would happen if X incident happened to Y player at Duke?" and what the resulting media coverage would be. Grayson Allen commits four flagrant fouls across two seasons (2 trips last year, a trip and an elbow this year) and it's a media apocalypse. Can you imagine what would be happening if this were Jayson Tatum instead of Josh Jackson?

sagegrouse
03-08-2017, 02:34 PM
"Go forth and multiply." Book of Genesis. Didn't know it applied to criminal activity. [Sorry.]

Nugget
03-08-2017, 06:54 PM

Agreed this is a nothing-burger in the scheme of things. But, can we at least question the timing of the particular game for which he gets suspended (a walk-over against TCU or Okla) a little bit?

duke4ever19
03-08-2017, 07:10 PM
Agreed this is a nothing-burger in the scheme of things. But, can we at least question the timing of the particular game for which he gets suspended (a walk-over against TCU or Okla) a little bit?

(sigh)

Kansas gets walk-over games, while over in the ACC, every game is like that movie "Cannibal Holocaust."

WillJ
03-08-2017, 07:30 PM
My only interest in these stories is viewing them through the lens of "what would happen if X incident happened to Y player at Duke?" and what the resulting media coverage would be. Grayson Allen commits four flagrant fouls across two seasons (2 trips last year, a trip and an elbow this year) and it's a media apocalypse. Can you imagine what would be happening if this were Jayson Tatum instead of Josh Jackson?

Good points.

TexHawk
03-09-2017, 10:58 AM
(sigh)

Kansas gets walk-over games, while over in the ACC, every game is like that movie "Cannibal Holocaust."

TCU is somewhere between Clemson and Syracuse on the "walkover scale". KU only beat them by 6 in Fort Worth, and the return game was close for 32 minutes (tied at halftime), before KU pulled away. They swooned in the last month, but it took a home loss to Kansas State last week for Lunardi to finally take them out of his bracket. (For whatever that is worth.)

According to Bill Self, the incident happened in early February, but didn't reach the coaching staff until this last Monday. And look, it's not like he had a ton of options here. If you are going to suspend someone, with only the conference and national tournaments left on the schedule, your options are limited. He's not being held out of the NCAA tournament, and it would be kind of cruel and weauxy to suspend a guy ahead of a tournament for a game against Iowa State/Oklahoma State/West Virginia/Baylor that may not actually happen.

Duke79UNLV77
03-09-2017, 11:18 AM
TCU is somewhere between Clemson and Syracuse on the "walkover scale". KU only beat them by 6 in Fort Worth, and the return game was close for 32 minutes (tied at halftime), before KU pulled away. They swooned in the last month, but it took a home loss to Kansas State last week for Lunardi to finally take them out of his bracket. (For whatever that is worth.)

According to Bill Self, the incident happened in early February, but didn't reach the coaching staff until this last Monday. And look, it's not like he had a ton of options here. If you are going to suspend someone, with only the conference and national tournaments left on the schedule, your options are limited. He's not being held out of the NCAA tournament, and it would be kind of cruel and weauxy to suspend a guy ahead of a tournament for a game against Iowa State/Oklahoma State/West Virginia/Baylor that may not actually happen.

Ty Lawson wants to remind everyone that Kansas isn't the only blue blood school with multiple players with run-ins with the law.

DukieInKansas
03-09-2017, 11:30 AM
I think the Josh Jackson incident, like some of the other incidents with KU Basketball this year, is relatively minor. I'm just not used to hearing about multiple incidents in the same year from the KU program. Bill Self is sitting him since JJ didn't report the incident to the coaching staff or, more importantly, to the person whose car he bumped. I think that is appropriate.

I'm assuming there was a security camera somewhere that "caught" him. I wonder whose car he hit.

flyingdutchdevil
03-10-2017, 12:00 PM
Apparently, Josh Jackson's attorney offered to pay to have charges dropped. You know, cus attorneys are always happy to use their own funds to help out their clients.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18872747/attorney-josh-jackson-kansas-jayhawks-tried-pay-charges-dropped

DangerDevil
03-10-2017, 12:50 PM
Apparently, Josh Jackson's attorney offered to pay to have charges dropped. You know, cus attorneys are always happy to use their own funds to help out their clients.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18872747/attorney-josh-jackson-kansas-jayhawks-tried-pay-charges-dropped

Yikes, I don't think we will see Josh Jackson again until Draft Night.

Tim Calvert, the father of Kansas sophomore McKenzie Calvert, told The Kansas City Star that Jackson's lawyer told the family "money is no object, within reason" if they would let the altercation go.

devildeac
03-10-2017, 01:28 PM

Tim Calvert, the father of Kansas sophomore McKenzie Calvert, told The Kansas City Star that Jackson's lawyer told the family "money is no object, within reason" if they would let the altercation go.

Might take the enforcement committee and the COI years to sort that one out. :rolleyes:

Rich
03-10-2017, 01:32 PM

Guess it wasn't such a walk-over.

gam7
03-10-2017, 01:33 PM

If that's the case, don't expect Kansas to announce it before Monday...

Rich
03-10-2017, 01:34 PM

Isn't that pretty much an oxymoron? Either money is no object or it must be within reason. Those are two completely opposite statements.

DangerDevil
03-10-2017, 01:42 PM
If that's the case, don't expect Kansas to announce it before Monday...

Initially I thought, there goes their #1 seed and then thought they same thing; even if he is done at Kansas we won't hear about it until after the brackets are announced.

Nugget
03-10-2017, 03:47 PM
Guess it wasn't such a walk-over.

Yep. As Yogi Berra said, "It's tough to make predictions. Especially about the future."

Also, thanks to TexHawk for clearing up the timing. I didn't realize KU hadn't found out about the incident until this week.

DangerDevil
03-10-2017, 04:23 PM
Yep. As Yogi Berra said, "It's tough to make predictions. Especially about the future."

Also, thanks to TexHawk for clearing up the timing. I didn't realize KU hadn't found out about the incident until this week.

From TexHawk's previous post:

"According to Bill Self, the incident happened in early February, but didn't reach the coaching staff until this last Monday. "

Jackson has had multiple incidents. I believe yesterday's suspension was for a lesser incident that involved Jackson hitting a parked car and leaving the scene of the accident. Jackson didn't inform the KU staff until Monday of that incident and was subsequently suspended for yesterday's game.

This alleged payoff was for a known incident that occurred in December when Jackson kicked in a car door following an altercation. The alleged payoff coming to light is new as of today.

Channing
03-10-2017, 05:18 PM
I may be missing something, but I thought individuals/victims don't bring or drop charges; rather its the state/municipality. So, an offer to pay to "drop the charges" would ostensibly be a payment not to testify. Is that witness tampering, potentially a far bigger issue? Alternatively, is this just a settlement offer?

DukieInKansas
03-10-2017, 06:08 PM
From TexHawk's previous post:

"According to Bill Self, the incident happened in early February, but didn't reach the coaching staff until this last Monday. "

Jackson has had multiple incidents. I believe yesterday's suspension was for a lesser incident that involved Jackson hitting a parked car and leaving the scene of the accident. Jackson didn't inform the KU staff until Monday of that incident and was subsequently suspended for yesterday's game.

This alleged payoff was for a known incident that occurred in December when Jackson kicked in a car door following an altercation. The alleged payoff coming to light is new as of today.

The December incident involved the car of a KU women's bball player. Her father wanted keep the damages reported below $1,000 so it wouldn't be a felony on the young man's record. I thought that was a really considerate stance to take - he didn't want his future ruined over one incident.

El_Diablo
03-10-2017, 06:16 PM

It doesn't say the attorney offered to pay it using his own funds...he could have simply been conveying a settlement offer on behalf of his client.

weezie
03-10-2017, 06:35 PM
...This alleged payoff was for a known incident that occurred in December when Jackson kicked in a car door following an altercation. The alleged payoff coming to light is new as of today.

Now wait a minute, this kind of elevates the whole sitch. He's coming across as a "tad" out of control.

Good thing he didn't throw his head back or fall down and trip anybody.

lifelongdevil
03-10-2017, 06:50 PM

Since they can't deal in tickets anymore the Pumps need somewhere to use all that capital.

jv001
03-10-2017, 06:55 PM

Sounds like old Roy started his cheating ways in Kansas. No, that's incorrect, he was an assistant under saint dean. He took his cheating ways to Kansas, then back to uncheat. GoDuke!

weezie
03-10-2017, 09:55 PM
Jackson's lawyer told the family "money is no object, within reason" if they would let the altercation go.

What a cheapskate! Like taking a date to Golden Corral and saying, eat up!

BD80
03-10-2017, 10:13 PM
Yikes, I don't think we will see Josh Jackson again until Draft Night. ...

What if you look in his scheduled classes?

jk

DangerDevil
03-10-2017, 10:17 PM

jk

I didn't think you actually had to attend paper classes, maybe I am a little confused

COYS
03-10-2017, 10:20 PM
Sounds like old Roy started his cheating ways in Kansas. No, that's incorrect, he was an assistant under saint dean. He took his cheating ways to Kansas, then back to uncheat. GoDuke!

I don't know, Larry Brown was present for a little cheating at Kansas, too, IIRC. Hmm, he is also a branch on the Dean Coaching Tree. I'm seeing a pattern here.

jv001
03-10-2017, 10:23 PM
I don't know, Larry Brown was present for a little cheating at Kansas, too, IIRC. Hmm, he is also a branch on the Dean Coaching Tree. I'm seeing a pattern here.

I believe you're on to something there. :cool: Dean knew, old roy knew and Larry knew. GoDuke!

OldPhiKap
03-11-2017, 09:14 AM
"Better call Saul"

DukieInKansas
03-11-2017, 12:30 PM

jk

I didn't think you actually had to attend paper classes, maybe I am a little confused

KU actually pays people to check that the athletes are attending class. https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748704422204576130320332118328 (Assume they still do this.)

They did learn from Roy - make sure they are going to real classes.

BD80
03-11-2017, 04:54 PM
KU actually pays people to check that the athletes are attending class. https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748704422204576130320332118328 (Assume they still do this.)

They did learn from Roy - make sure they are going to real classes.

I'm betting they won't even bother looking for Jackson. He is completely checked out except for basketball. In a few weeks they may never see him on campus again.