PDA

View Full Version : This Week in the ACC: 12/8-12/14

pfrduke
12-08-2014, 03:21 PM
After a busy last week and, overall, a disappointing ACC/B1G challenge, exam week is here and everyone gets to take a collective breath. A week ago, there were 30 NCAA unbeatens; now there are 12, 3 of which reside in the ACC (Duke, Louisville, UVA), so the top of the conference continues to perform even while performance from the middle and bottom is less than ideal. Tip of the hat to NC State for getting to occupy first place in the conference for about a month. Let's take a look at a slow exam week:

Monday

[26]Miami hosts [308]Savannah State (7:00, ESPN3)

Tuesday is the Jimmy V Classic with Louisville taking on Indiana. The Hoosiers put on probably their best performance against Pitt in the challenge, but also has a home loss to Eastern Washington on its record and Louisville will be by far the toughest opponent they've faced. Also on Tuesday - welcome to the top 25 of the AP poll Notre Dame, which shows up as #25 with a bullet after knocking off Michigan State last week.

[42]Notre Dame hosts [275]Mount St. Mary's (7:00, ESPN3)
[4]Louisville vs. [50]Indiana in New York (9:00, ESPN)

Wednesday is dark.

Thursday

[113]Boston College hosts [340]Maine (7:00, ESPN3)

Friday

[54]NC State hosts [196]Charleston Southern (7:00, ESPN3)

Saturday is highlighted by a UNC team that shot 19-68 against Iowa and 22-57 against Butler going up against a Kentucky squad that is holding teams to absurd shooting numbers - 29.8% from 2 and 24.4% from 3. Look at that again - in 360 minutes, Kentucky opponents have taken 481 shots and made just 134 of them. Yes, those numbers are helped by dominating performances against teams like Grand Canyon, Montana State, and UT-Arlington, but the trio of Kansas, Providence, and UT-Austin collectively shot 36-142 against Kentucky (Kentucky's other opponents have collectively shot better than those three teams). So, short story, I think it's likely that UNC will find difficulty putting the ball in the basket. The question is whether UNC's size will sufficiently bother the Wildcats to keep the game close. Saturday also gives us conference game #2, with Notre Dame hosting Florida State.

[14]North Carolina at [1]Kentucky (12:00, CBS)
[46]Pittsburgh hosts [104]St. Bonaventure (2:00, ESPNU)
[42]Notre Dame hosts [102]Florida State (8:00, ESPN2)

Sunday is a busy day. Coming off of a fantastic upset of Arkansas (which looks to have another season where it is deadly at home but plays dead on the road), Clemson hosts another SEC opponent as Bruce Pearl's Auburn squad comes to town. Syracuse is better than Louisiana Tech and should beat them at home, but the Bulldogs are a dangerous opponent and could give the Orange trouble. And don't overlook Wofford, which somehow has an 88 ranking in Pomeroy.

[113]Boston College hosts [338]Binghamton (1:00, ESPN3)
[170]Virginia Tech hosts [348]Alabama A&M (3:00, ESPN3)
[28]Syracuse hosts [65]Louisiana Tech (4:00, ESPNU)
[112]Clemson hosts [163]Auburn (4:00, ESPN3)
[54]NC State hosts [88]Wofford (4:00, ESPN3)
[4]Louisville hosts [218]UNC-Wilmington (6:00, ESPNU)
[122]Wake Forest hosts [327]Samford (6:00, ESPN3)

ACC Non-Conference Record: 89-31
ACC Record vs. BCS:* 19-16
America East: 2-0
American Athletic: 5-0
Atlantic Sun: 2-1
Atlantic Ten: 8-3
Big 12: 1-1
Big East: 1-5
Big South: 5-3
B1G Ten: 10-8
Big West: 0-1
Colonial: 3-1
Conference USA: 4-0
Horizon: 1-1
MAAC: 5-1
MAC: 2-0
MEAC: 10-1
Missouri Valley: 0-1
Mountain West: 3-1
Northeast: 3-0
Ohio Valley: 2-0
Pac-12: 2-1
Patriot: 4-0
SEC: 5-1
Southern: 3-0
Southland: 1-0
Summit: 1-0
Sun Belt: 1-1
SWAC: 3-0
WAC: 1-0
Non D-1: 1-0

*refers to Big XII, Big East, Big Ten, Pac-12, and SEC. The AAC is just a completely mediocre basketball conference and crediting wins over the likes of Tulane and South Florida as wins over major conference caliber opponents is just silly. And yes, BCS is now a completely outdated reference derived from an entirely separate sport, but it's handy shorthand.

Duvall
12-08-2014, 03:24 PM
After a busy last week and, overall, a disappointing ACC/B1G challenge, exam week is here and everyone gets to take a collective breath.

Well, if you think about it, there are three goals for the ACC/B1G Challenge: 1) a Duke win, 2) a UNC loss, and 3) a record of at least 6-6 in the other games. So what did we get? A Duke win, a UNC loss, and a 5-7 record in the other games. Pretty close!

jv001
12-08-2014, 03:26 PM
Well, if you think about it, there are three goals for the ACC/B1G Challenge: 1) a Duke win, 2) a UNC loss, and 3) a record of at least 6-6 in the other games. So what did we get? A Duke win, a UNC loss, and a 5-7 record in the other games. Pretty close!

Yes, and the first two are most important. GoDuke!

Duvall
12-08-2014, 03:41 PM
Upset in the ACC Rookie of the Week honors: Tyus Jones becomes the first player to beat out Jahlil Okafor for the award. (http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail/acc-basketball-players-of-the-week-announced-12-08-2014)

AncientPsychicT
12-08-2014, 03:49 PM
[42]Notre Dame hosts [102]Notre Dame (8:00, ESPN2)

I think that's supposed to be [42]Notre Dame hosts [102]Florida State. :)

Olympic Fan
12-08-2014, 05:33 PM
Just a note -- going into the weekend, the ACC is 11-2 against nonconference top 25 teams.

Only once chance to add to that record this week, when North Carolina plays at No. 1 Kentucky.

devildeac
12-08-2014, 09:39 PM
Just a note -- going into the weekend, the ACC is 11-2 against nonconference top 25 teams.

Only once chance to add to that record this week, when North Carolina plays at No. 1 Kentucky.

I'm rooting for a double forfeit. Or a meteor.

AncientPsychicT
12-08-2014, 09:55 PM
I'm rooting for a double forfeit. Or a meteor.

I'm not. Go Kentucky!

Olympic Fan
12-10-2014, 12:18 AM
With Louisville's victory over Indiana Tuesday night, the ACC goes to 11-8 against the Big Ten

Unfortunately we lost the Challenge, but overall we're beat the B10 ...

DukeDevil
12-10-2014, 12:28 AM
With Louisville's victory over Indiana Tuesday night, the ACC goes to 11-8 against the Big Ten

Unfortunately we lost the Challenge, but overall we're beat the B10 ...

I only saw the last 10 minutes or so of the game when they were up 10, but a few thoughts on Louisville.

- They seemed to let up around the 7 minute mark or so, but I think Pitino got on them and they clamped down to extend the lead for the last few minutes. Except for that one period, they seemed to have a good killer instinct
- Impressive offensive boards from them.
- I get the impression that our pressure would really trouble them. I just felt that they seemed to be a bit loose with the ball, but Indiana didn't seem to have the talent to take advantage. I feel that our guards would be all over that and we'd generate a lot of turnovers and fast break points.
- Their center, Anas Mahmoud, had some great instincts for rebounds and put backs from the little I saw. That being said, he's listed as 7'0" and 200 lbs...he's gonna need to put some meat on those bones. I suspect he'll get pushed out by Okafor without much trouble.
- They've got some great athletes...several impressive blocks and dunks

I'm not. Go Kentucky!

I'd cheer for a meteor first. Kentucky next. Carolina doesn't make the list. Cheering my own death would come before that.

...Can Duke play again soon? I'm getting stir crazy...

Billy Dat
12-10-2014, 10:22 AM
I only saw the last 10 minutes or so of the game when they were up 10, but a few thoughts on Louisville.
- They seemed to let up around the 7 minute mark or so, but I think Pitino got on them and they clamped down to extend the lead for the last few minutes. Except for that one period, they seemed to have a good killer instinct
- Impressive offensive boards from them.
- I get the impression that our pressure would really trouble them. I just felt that they seemed to be a bit loose with the ball, but Indiana didn't seem to have the talent to take advantage. I feel that our guards would be all over that and we'd generate a lot of turnovers and fast break points.
- Their center, Anas Mahmoud, had some great instincts for rebounds and put backs from the little I saw. That being said, he's listed as 7'0" and 200 lbs...he's gonna need to put some meat on those bones. I suspect he'll get pushed out by Okafor without much trouble.
- They've got some great athletes...several impressive blocks and dunks

With both Kentucky and Louisville, their defense is way ahead of their offense. As a result, they want a frantic, pressured game where they'll have more transition opportunities. I don't agree that our pressure would rattle their guards. Jones and Rozier look solid to me, and ready to attack if you get too far into them. In fact, I think Kentucky and Louisville are both teams we should try to slow down and make shoot 3s. Letting either team drive and feast on the offensive glass is a recipe for disaster. Make them use the clock, and no second shots....they're a bunch of mights, run you off the boards...watch that purgatory they call a gym, no drive 12 foot in...that'll do.

Duvall
12-14-2014, 06:08 PM
Wofford, a quality team, gets the 55-54 win at State in a wild one.

AncientPsychicT
12-14-2014, 07:10 PM

We play them later this month.

weezie
12-14-2014, 08:01 PM
Yikes and our Karl Hess was highly involved at the end of the game.

devildeac
12-14-2014, 08:13 PM

Did he eject Corchiani and Gugliotta again:rolleyes:?

Bluegrassdevil1
12-14-2014, 10:27 PM
Went to the U of L vs. UNC Wilmington game tonight, and it would appear that a running U of L fan/team theory may be true:

It would seem that Duke's newest ACC foe may have a bubbling chemistry/ego issue brewing in the backcourt. The concern has been mentioned many times by some U of L chums of mine, and the community at large, but watching the game in person, there is clearly something going on with a singular individual that will be very important to Pitino's team going forward.

The Cards will have a solid addition, Shaqquan Aaron, beginning Saturday against Western Kentucky (another trip for me), but there is no doubt that the team has something going on, that come ACC play, could spell trouble without resolution.

PackMan97
12-14-2014, 10:29 PM

Not to mention Hess T'ed up Gott in the first four minutes of the game, those points are the difference in the game right there.

arnie
12-15-2014, 07:22 AM
Not to mention Hess T'ed up Gott in the first four minutes of the game, those points are the difference in the game right there.

Another State loss at home to a a non power coupled with blaming officials for the loss. Life goes on.

OldPhiKap
12-15-2014, 07:24 AM
I am not a fan of blaming the refs generally. Karl Hess is a notable exception though. He and TV Valentine need to go.

This generation's Lenny Wirtz's.

Duvall
12-15-2014, 07:38 AM

The same was true of each of the 26 shots State missed.

Henderson
12-15-2014, 08:17 AM
I am not a fan of blaming the refs generally. Karl Hess is a notable exception though. He and TV Valentine need to go.

This generation's Lenny Wirtz's.

That may or may not be true, but it's the sort of point best made after a win. Complaining about the officials (even worse, blaming them) after an embarrassing loss seems bad form to me. It has that whining sound.

devildeac
12-15-2014, 09:24 AM

Gott explained that in the Raleigh N&O this am, too. Basically, he pointed out to hess that he believed Trevor Lacey had been tripped on his drive to the hoop that time down the court and got the T. Musta have been because Corchiani's son is on the NCSU bench:o. No profanity. Nothing else. I agree w/OPK.

PackMan97
12-15-2014, 10:09 AM
Gott explained that in the Raleigh N&O this am, too. Basically, he pointed out to hess that he believed Trevor Lacey had been tripped on his drive to the hoop that time down the court and got the T. Musta have been because Corchiani's son is on the NCSU bench:o. No profanity. Nothing else. I agree w/OPK.

Personally, that call had the feeling of some "payback" for ruining Hess' 2012 post-season (No ACC/NCAA tourney for him).

We can argue until we are blue in the face whether that T cost us the game, it didn't. Our play cost State the game. However, those two points were indeed the difference between winning and losing. I don't see how stating that fact is whining or blaming the ref. Heck, I'd blame the clock operator before I'd blame the refs.

brevity
12-15-2014, 10:45 AM

Link to video (http://deadspin.com/wofford-upsets-n-c-state-after-wiped-away-buzzer-beate-1671008699). Looks like the right call; the shot was late.

Karl Hess was so happy overruling the final play that he ran around State's floor, looking for someone to hug.

Henderson
12-15-2014, 11:44 AM
Link to video (http://deadspin.com/wofford-upsets-n-c-state-after-wiped-away-buzzer-beate-1671008699). Looks like the right call; the shot was late.

Karl Hess was so happy overruling the final play that he ran around State's floor, looking for someone to hug.

Bad Baseball memory: Two outs, bottom of the ninth, bases loaded. We're down just one and at the plate. Our guy (Josh) gets picked off of first base on a questionable call. Game over. Ugh.

Who caused that loss? Was it Josh's fault? Bad umpiring?

Post game, Coach went down the line of plays we missed that would have made that last play meaningless. I had botched a foul ball that should have been an out but extended the third inning for them, and they scored one to make it 6-1 in our favor. Others got their share of the finger too.

Our takeaway: Josh didn't lose that game, and the ump didn't lose it for us. Thanks, Coach. RIP. Taught me a lot about life and sports.

Duvall
12-15-2014, 11:48 AM

Hess needs hugs. (http://media2.newsobserver.com/smedia/2014/12/14/22/33/bB4bx.AuSt.156.JPG)

Duvall
12-15-2014, 02:36 PM
We play them later this month.

After winning in Reynolds, Wofford should feel really comfortable in Cameron. Duke will need to be ready for that one.

Duvall
12-15-2014, 03:14 PM
INJUSTICE! (http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail/acc-basketball-players-of-the-week-announced-12-15-2014) Duke's freshmen IGNORED for the ACC Rookie of the Week award, merely due to the fact that Duke did not play any games.

Montrezl Harrell and N.C. State's Caleb Martin were POW and ROW.

OldPhiKap
12-15-2014, 06:36 PM

literally chuckled out load at this. Kudos.