PDA

View Full Version : MLax News and Notes: Duke Ranked No. 3 by IL

burnspbesq
12-08-2014, 01:36 PM
Inside Lacrosse's 2015 Face-Off Yearbook is out in hard-copy form (the electronic version will hopefully drop this week), and they have been teasing bits and pieces of it on their website.

Today we got their pre-season Top 20, and Duke comes in at number three, behind Denver and ND. The complete listing is here.

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/2015-face-off-yearbook-di-top-20/30257/1

Also, although the ACC schools haven't officially released their 2015 schedules, we can reverse-engineer virtually Duke's entire schedule based on other schools' schedules that have been released. Here's what we know so far (speculation in parentheses).

Feb 7 @ High Point
Feb 14 Denver (@ Fifth Third Bank Stadium, Kennesaw, GA)
Feb 15 @ Mercer
Feb 18 Bellarmine
Feb 22 @ Stony Brook
Mar 1 Providence
Mar 7 Loyola
Mar 14 @ Georgetown
Wk 7 (@ UNC)
Wk 8 (@ Syracuse)
Wk 9 (Notre Dame)
Wk 10 (Virginia)
Apr 18 @ Marquette
Apr 24-26 ACC Tournament (@PPL Park, Chester, PA)
Wk 13 (Boston Univ.)

Duke's SOS will decline pretty dramatically in 2015, with Bellarmine, Providence, and Georgetown replacing Penn, Maryland, and Harvard. If it's not BU on the last weekend, it will most likely be another Patriot League team, as all the other conferences will be holding their tournaments that weekend.

Gettin' closer.

MCFinARL
12-08-2014, 02:22 PM
Inside Lacrosse's 2015 Face-Off Yearbook is out in hard-copy form (the electronic version will hopefully drop this week), and they have been teasing bits and pieces of it on their website.

Today we got their pre-season Top 20, and Duke comes in at number three, behind Denver and ND. The complete listing is here.

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/2015-face-off-yearbook-di-top-20/30257/1

Also, although the ACC schools haven't officially released their 2015 schedules, we can reverse-engineer virtually Duke's entire schedule based on other schools' schedules that have been released. Here's what we know so far (speculation in parentheses).

Feb 7 @ High Point
Feb 14 Denver (@ Fifth Third Bank Stadium, Kennesaw, GA)
Feb 15 @ Mercer
Feb 18 Bellarmine
Feb 22 @ Stony Brook
Mar 1 Providence
Mar 7 Loyola
Mar 14 @ Georgetown
Wk 7 (@ UNC)
Wk 8 (@ Syracuse)
Wk 9 (Notre Dame)
Wk 10 (Virginia)
Apr 18 @ Marquette
Apr 24-26 ACC Tournament (@PPL Park, Chester, PA)
Wk 13 (Boston Univ.)

Duke's SOS will decline pretty dramatically in 2015, with Bellarmine, Providence, and Georgetown replacing Penn, Maryland, and Harvard. If it's not BU on the last weekend, it will most likely be another Patriot League team, as all the other conferences will be holding their tournaments that weekend.

Gettin' closer.

I'm kind of surprised--this is the first time in a long time Duke has had a schedule with no Ivy League team on it. And putting in almost any Ivy opponent here (maybe not Dartmouth) would probably strengthen the out of conference schedule. Admittedly the in-conference games are all pretty seriously challenging, and there is Denver as well.

Billy Dat
12-08-2014, 03:23 PM
Stony Brook on 2/22? That's close enough for me to make the trip, but an outdoor game on Long Island in the middle of February?

burnspbesq
12-08-2014, 03:35 PM
I'm kind of surprised--this is the first time in a long time Duke has had a schedule with no Ivy League team on it. And putting in almost any Ivy opponent here (maybe not Dartmouth) would probably strengthen the out of conference schedule. Admittedly the in-conference games are all pretty seriously challenging, and there is Denver as well.

We could still end up playing Penn (although we hope not). The Quakers play the ACC's fifth-place team in the "showcase" game on Saturday night of ACC Tournament weekend. I guess that makes them the honorary sixth-place team.

burnspbesq
12-08-2014, 10:15 PM
an outdoor game on Long Island in the middle of February?

Be glad it's not Hobart or UVM.

MCFinARL
12-08-2014, 11:06 PM
We could still end up playing Penn (although we hope not). The Quakers play the ACC's fifth-place team in the "showcase" game on Saturday night of ACC Tournament weekend. I guess that makes them the honorary sixth-place team.

Interesting idea for ealing with the 5-team conference. And yes, I hope not. Sounds like a good game for UNC. ;)

burnspbesq
12-10-2014, 12:16 AM
Myles Jones and Deemer Class were named to the first team.

Will Haus was named to the third team; he appears to be the only SSDM named to any of the first three teams.

Kyle Rowe received named honorable mention.

MCFinARL
12-10-2014, 08:42 AM

Will Haus was named to the third team; he appears to be the only SSDM named to any of the first three teams.

Wow--that is excellent news. To get a transfer FO guy who is that good--should make a big difference in this year's team.

sagegrouse
12-10-2014, 08:59 AM

Ah yes, "short stick defensive midfielder." I don't blame folks for using abbreviations, but isn't there a two-word phrase that can be invented -- like "pistol defender" to avoid the mouthful of letters?

DST Fan
12-10-2014, 09:33 AM
Ah yes, "short stick defensive midfielder." I don't blame folks for using abbreviations, but isn't there a two-word phrase that can be invented -- like "pistol defender" to avoid the mouthful of letters?

I thought "defensive middie" was generally accepted.

burnspbesq
12-10-2014, 03:18 PM
I thought "defensive middie" was generally accepted.

Or "d-mid."

Or, since LSM's are commonly referred to as "poles," we could refer to SSDMs as "latvians." (rimshot).

burnspbesq
12-10-2014, 03:19 PM
Welp, Harvard is still on the schedule, after all. 2/28, at home.