PDA

View Full Version : LAX Helmets; deemed unsafe

Jim3k
12-06-2014, 04:59 PM
I'm posting this here, since Duke's lacrosse team, which wears these helmets, is a common topic on this board.

Anyway, the New York Times, in an article by Mary Pilon (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/06/sports/safety-organization-deems-popular-helmet-models-unsuitable-for-play.html), is reporting that the safety certification agency having authority over lacrosse helmets (as well as football) has withdrawn its certification of the Warrior Regulator and the Cascade Model R helmets. Teams throughout the nation, youth, high school and college, all use these helmets. So some sort of massive remedial action must be taken in order to regain the certifications. Major headache all around.

Indoor66
12-06-2014, 05:04 PM
I'm posting this here, since Duke's lacrosse team, which wears these helmets, is a common topic on this board.

Anyway, the New York Times, in an article by Mary Pilon (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/06/sports/safety-organization-deems-popular-helmet-models-unsuitable-for-play.html), is reporting that the safety certification agency having authority over lacrosse helmets (as well as football) has withdrawn its certification of the Warrior Regulator and the Cascade Model R helmets. Teams throughout the nation, youth, high school and college, all use these helmets. So some sort of massive remedial action must be taken in order to regain the certifications. Major headache all around.

No humor here. :cool:

BD80
12-06-2014, 08:04 PM

Wow. Shelled (pun intended) out over $200 4 times for sons to wear the Cascade helmet. Cascade has raked in some serious $ simply because of market share so I hope they feel the crunch of making things right. My least favorite helmet experience was having to buy a new helmet in consecutive years for the same son because the team changed color schemes.

Henderson
12-06-2014, 09:27 PM
My least favorite helmet experience was having to buy a new helmet in consecutive years for the same son because the team changed color schemes.

So the taggers have bought up all the cans of spray paint in Deeetroit City?

burnspbesq
12-07-2014, 12:43 AM
In the photos that accompany IL's " Fallball All Access" feature on Duke, our guys can be seen wearing Warrior helmets. Unclear whether it is the Regulator model.

IIRC, Duke wore Brine helmets during the 2014 season.

BD80
12-07-2014, 08:44 AM

Actually, there has been a nationwide shortage of baby blue spray paint in the last month or so.

The stigma of having a spray painted helmet? The horror!

weezie
12-07-2014, 10:47 AM

Now, now, Hendo........:eek:

Henderson
12-07-2014, 11:22 AM
Now, now, Hendo........:eek:

Hehe. Jes' kidding around a bit. But I AM one cheap barstood. I won't pay $10 for a car wash if I can spray over the dirt with a $6 can of Krylon.

burnspbesq
12-09-2014, 10:47 AM
If you thought it was just a coincidence that Cascade and Warrior got whacked at almost exactly the same time that STX was introducing its first-ever halmet line, think again.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bs-bz-stx-lacrosse-helmet-controversy-20141208-story.html#page=1