PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky-Texas

Duke95
12-05-2014, 07:30 PM
10 minutes in.

Kentucky's offense is just ugly.
Their defense is superb though. Texas is in major foul trouble already.

A-Tex Devil
12-05-2014, 07:33 PM
10 minutes in.

Kentucky's offense is just ugly.
Their defense is superb though. Texas is in major foul trouble already.

Texas' D is top 5 s well. May have something to do with it.

Duke95
12-05-2014, 07:34 PM
Texas' D is top 5 s well. May have something to do with it.

For sure. Texas can challenge them very well on the inside. Impressed with Texas. Basically a defensive war so far.

subzero02
12-05-2014, 07:35 PM
This game will come down to foul shooting and foul trouble... I don't see UK covering the 12.5 point spread

Duke95
12-05-2014, 07:43 PM
I like this Ullis kid.

Offensively, this game is painful to watch, but expected given the quality of the two defenses.

Philadukie
12-05-2014, 07:48 PM
Not to get ahead of the game here, but not sure I want Kentucky to lose right now. Would probably mean we jump to #1 (can't see Arizona getting enough votes after what we did at Wisconsin). Not sure if it's good for this young team to be #1 yet. Let Kentucky carry that burden for a while. Kind of nice for us to be considered an underdog to someone still. Sure some folks will disagree. Discuss!

nmduke2001
12-05-2014, 07:52 PM
That flagrant foul call was BS and has completely changed this game.

Duke95
12-05-2014, 07:54 PM
That flagrant foul call was BS and has completely changed this game.

Completely agree. Horrible call.

Duke95
12-05-2014, 07:57 PM
25 fouls called so far. Good grief.

NYBri
12-05-2014, 08:28 PM
I am not concerned about either of these teams. Bring them both on. Back to back.

2-0

CameronBlue
12-05-2014, 08:42 PM
Texas is getting HOMERED!

wavedukefan70s
12-05-2014, 08:44 PM
Wow .just unbelievable.

A-Tex Devil
12-05-2014, 08:46 PM
I am not concerned about either of these teams. Bring them both on. Back to back.

2-0

I'll note Texas is missing their starting point guard as a result of a late game cheap shot against Iowa. He's about a 300% upgrade over Javan Felix. I'll be interested to see how the offense improves when he returns in January. I do agree that Duke has the perimeter acumen to unlock these defenses when we play well, though.

wavedukefan70s
12-05-2014, 08:56 PM
Both look solid to me.beatable but solid.

Duke95
12-05-2014, 09:15 PM
He's about a 300% upgrade over Javan Felix.

Probably a conservative estimate.

subzero02
12-05-2014, 09:23 PM
I want to know what percentage of Kentucky's field goals came off of transition baskets and offensive boards... I would guess over 50 percent.

77devil
12-05-2014, 09:29 PM
I want to know what percentage of Kentucky's field goals came off of transition baskets and offensive boards... I would guess over 50 percent.

Fair enough but I want to know why Kentucky hasn't played a true road game, much less one against a quality opponent, and why ESPN has not made this the subject of its in depth investigative reporting.

Duvall
12-05-2014, 09:31 PM
Fair enough but I want to know why Kentucky hasn't played a true road game, much less one against a quality opponent, and why ESPN has not made this the subject of its in depth investigative reporting.

Because they play at either Louisville or UNC every year?

luvdahops
12-05-2014, 09:38 PM

I would agree based on the parts of the game I saw. The Kentucky offense did seem to run at least a bit more smoothly with Ulis at the point (vs Andrew Harrison), and I would not be surprised to see him eventually grab a higher share of minutes and more burn with the putative first 5. But they are not an offensive juggernaut by any means.

77devil
12-05-2014, 10:08 PM
Because they play at either Louisville or UNC every year?

While it was obvious I was not being serious, at Louisville is not a true road game; neutral court at worst

Bluegrassdevil1
12-05-2014, 11:09 PM
While it was obvious I was not being serious, at Louisville is not a true road game; neutral court at worst

This is not even remotely true. UK brings plenty of fans everywhere they go, but playing in the River City is inarguably against a hostile crowd.

If UK continues to be touted by pundits, and they can continue unabated, unbeaten, and unchallenged, that will certainly benefit Duke, or any significant opponent, come late March/early April. Any progressively thinking Duke fan should be thrilled about the adulation that UK receives, because rankings mean nothing in college basketball, and if you think that Coach Calipari is going to handle an unbeaten (or barely beaten) UK team playing a beaten Duke team better than Coach K, then you are quite mistaken.

Calipari has only finished the deal once when his team has had the bullseye, and that took a once in a generation player in Anthony Davis to do it.

The last time college basketball had a pre-ordained, unstoppable, unbeaten team in the tournament (with apologies to the Wheat Shockers), everything turned out just fine for the little team from Durham.

During this ongoing season, Duke fans should root for the Blue Devils first, and that the lavishing on UK continues secondly.

Duke95
12-05-2014, 11:13 PM
While I consider Kentucky to be a formidable team, I hope they receive all the adulation and pressure from the press.
Just like the 1991 UNLV national champs. Oh wait...

mccollums
12-05-2014, 11:19 PM

UK fan here

Calipari has talked about this before.... he doesn't like to play that many highly ranked teams on the road for 2 reasons, #1, because you lose #2, he likes neutral court games better because that's what you play in the NCAA tournament. With our fan base traveling so well, alot of the times the NCAA games are pro UK crowds.

We have a long way to go offensively, which is surprising since we had 6 games in the Bahamas where ball movement was crisp and we shot the ball well. I expect it to get better, but there really isn't a dynamic offensive player on this team. Towns/Lyles/Booker probably have the most offensive talent, but they are young and inconsistent right now. Defensively, we are really good but definitely susceptible to a team that can drive and dish. The Taylor kid being hurt in this game was HUGE. The refs didn't help either team in this game either, it's tough enough to score on UK or Texas but the refs didn't let anyone get into a rhythm. They were consistent though... they consistently called everything. 25 Fouls on Texas, 26 on UK. 61 Free throws.... I feel sorry for the coaches that have to watch the film of this game.

Billy Dat
12-06-2014, 12:29 AM
UK fan here

Calipari has talked about this before.... he doesn't like to play that many highly ranked teams on the road for 2 reasons, #1, because you lose #2, he likes neutral court games better because that's what you play in the NCAA tournament. With our fan base traveling so well, alot of the times the NCAA games are pro UK crowds.

We have a long way to go offensively, which is surprising since we had 6 games in the Bahamas where ball movement was crisp and we shot the ball well. I expect it to get better, but there really isn't a dynamic offensive player on this team. Towns/Lyles/Booker probably have the most offensive talent, but they are young and inconsistent right now. Defensively, we are really good but definitely susceptible to a team that can drive and dish. The Taylor kid being hurt in this game was HUGE. The refs didn't help either team in this game either, it's tough enough to score on UK or Texas but the refs didn't let anyone get into a rhythm. They were consistent though... they consistently called everything. 25 Fouls on Texas, 26 on UK. 61 Free throws.... I feel sorry for the coaches that have to watch the film of this game.

Thanks for the insight. This is the first full UK game I was able to watch. Cauley-Stein was awesome, and the size of that team is obscene. Their overwhelming advantage is just physicially grinding you down with all that size length and pressure. Bilas pointed out that the platoon hides weaknesses and i think they are mostly the offensive ones that you mention. Plus, its no joke in college ball to have more than one first round non-freshman draft pick. That kind of experienced talent - the Harrisons, Cauley Stein, Poythress, Lee, Johnson - maybe not all first rounders but all guys that will be in the runninh for NBA rosters - is beyond rare, it barely happens anymore. So, despite all the freshman talent, its not that young a team. Cal started to go away from the platoon, I am very curious to see their rotation evolve. The thing about the depth and the lack of shooting is that its almost a strength to know that you have to depend on turnovers, offensive rebounds and other non-halfcourt offense scoring options - it forces you to play hard, something the platoon allows for. The trick is to not let that depth make you feel free to foul because foul shots are the easiest shots against your scary D.

Very very interesting team. Would love to play them right now!!!

Billy Dat
12-06-2014, 12:44 AM
They lack that Doron Lamb or James Young style marksman. Wiltjer could have been good in that role. I look forward to watching his Gonzaga team play Arizona tomorrow.

Texas was tough and will be real good when their PG is back. There are a lot of Final Four caliber teams this year. UK, Duke, Arizona, Wisconsin, Texas, Kansas, Gonzaga, Villanova looks good, Louisville...fun season so far.

53n206
12-06-2014, 01:13 AM
At this time Oklahoma looks good too. Talented and well coached. Could be a sleeper.

juise
12-06-2014, 02:42 AM
UNC

I'm sorry, we were looking for a QUALITY road opponent. ;)

Edouble
12-06-2014, 03:10 AM
They lack that Doron Lamb or James Young style marksman. Wiltjer could have been good in that role. I look forward to watching his Gonzaga team play Arizona tomorrow.

Texas was tough and will be real good when their PG is back. There are a lot of Final Four caliber teams this year. UK, Duke, Arizona, Wisconsin, Texas, Kansas, Gonzaga, Villanova looks good, Louisville...fun season so far.

I was thinking this same thing watching the game tonight, that there is definitely a place for Kyle Wiltjer on this Kentucky team.

roywhite
12-06-2014, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the insight. This is the first full UK game I was able to watch. Cauley-Stein was awesome, and the size of that team is obscene. Their overwhelming advantage is just physicially grinding you down with all that size length and pressure. Bilas pointed out that the platoon hides weaknesses and i think they are mostly the offensive ones that you mention. Plus, its no joke in college ball to have more than one first round non-freshman draft pick. That kind of experienced talent - the Harrisons, Cauley Stein, Poythress, Lee, Johnson - maybe not all first rounders but all guys that will be in the runninh for NBA rosters - is beyond rare, it barely happens anymore. So, despite all the freshman talent, its not that young a team. Cal started to go away from the platoon, I am very curious to see their rotation evolve. The thing about the depth and the lack of shooting is that its almost a strength to know that you have to depend on turnovers, offensive rebounds and other non-halfcourt offense scoring options - it forces you to play hard, something the platoon allows for. The trick is to not let that depth make you feel free to foul because foul shots are the easiest shots against your scary D.

Very very interesting team. Would love to play them right now!!!

Agree with your comments on UK, and esp. how formidable they are defensively.

I'm intrigued by your last sentence; are you saying that UK is likely to improve more than Duke by season end and now would be a good time to catch them? Or just eager to see what are IMO the two best teams match up?

Billy Dat
12-06-2014, 08:34 AM
Agree with your comments on UK, and esp. how formidable they are defensively.

I'm intrigued by your last sentence; are you saying that UK is likely to improve more than Duke by season end and now would be a good time to catch them? Or just eager to see what are IMO the two best teams match up?

The latter, with both teams looking so tough it would be great to play now with nothing on the line save for bragging rights just to see what would happen. I am glad that we are playing a really really tough conference slate this year, especially in terms of tough road games. Our team has the soldiers to fight many a war, and if we are only going to have this group for one year, I want to see them in as many wars as possible.

Tripping William
12-06-2014, 09:32 AM
I came to this thread expecting to read about brisket. *sigh* ;)

ricks68
12-07-2014, 01:07 AM
I came to this thread expecting to read about brisket. *sigh* ;)

No, in spite of what may seem to be the obvious to some, the Duke vs. Kentucky thread IS the official DBR BBQ thread.

ricks

ricks68
12-07-2014, 01:14 AM
No, in spite of what may seem to be the obvious to some, the Duke vs. Kentucky thread IS the official DBR BBQ thread.

ricks

:):):):)

plus 4 characters (or, preferably, a great Asheville craft beer)