PDA

View Full Version : Props to David Helton

Olympic Fan
12-04-2014, 12:23 PM
Earlier today, Duke's David Helton picked up two significant honors --

He was awarded the Jim Tatum Award from the ACC -- recognizing the league's best combination scholar and football player.

About an hour later, Helton was picked first-team Academic All-American. He's the eight Duke player to earn first-team honors on that team (and the second in a row -- Perry Simmons won a year ago).

Helton is still a finalist for the William V. Campbell Award, which honors the nation's best football/student-athlete.

Helton has a 3.64 GPA with a major in Psychology

devildeac
12-04-2014, 12:25 PM

He was awarded the Jim Tatum Award from the ACC -- recognizing the league's best combination scholar and football player.

About an hour later, Helton was picked first-team Academic All-American. He's the eight Duke player to earn first-team honors on that team (and the second in a row -- Perry Simmons won a year ago).

Helton is still a finalist for the William V. Campbell Award, which honors the nation's best football/student-athlete.

And he received a couple votes for ACC Defensive POY, too.

jimsumner
12-04-2014, 12:26 PM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=209793470

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209793469&DB_OEM_ID=4200

OldPhiKap
12-04-2014, 12:43 PM
Congratulations!

DukieInKansas
12-04-2014, 01:00 PM
Congratulations, David Helton! It is great to see our student athletes accomplishing great things in the classroom and on the field.

Dev11
12-04-2014, 01:08 PM

*Looks at personal Duke transcript and extracurricular list, sighs*

Son of Jarhead
12-04-2014, 11:50 PM
I still can not fathom how he did not even get honorable mention All-ACC last year after leading the league in tackles at 133. So glad he is getting the recognition he deserves this year! Another fine example of the right way to do things. Way to go, David!

Native
12-05-2014, 12:42 AM
David's in one of my classes this semester — awesome guy. He's the real deal.

moonpie23
12-05-2014, 07:53 AM
way to go !!!! congrats!

devildeac
12-05-2014, 08:57 AM
David's in one of my classes this semester — awesome guy. He's the real deal.

Wait. You go to class? And a FB player shows up, too. What's the world coming to? I suppose the next thing you'll try to convince me about is that you have a paper due for that class this week or next for your final grade.;):rolleyes:

CDu
12-05-2014, 09:09 AM
That is awesome. A great set of honors!

weezie
12-05-2014, 09:24 AM
Makes us all proud, David does!
Now that's the Duke Way! :cool:

jimsumner
12-05-2014, 11:50 AM
I still can not fathom how he did not even get honorable mention All-ACC last year after leading the league in tackles at 133. So glad he is getting the recognition he deserves this year! Another fine example of the right way to do things. Way to go, David!

Believe it or not, Helton wasn't even nominated last year.

He's an under-the-radar type of guy.