PDA

View Full Version : chicago sports bar

howiebearsd
12-03-2014, 09:29 AM
I'm in downtown Chicago for a meeting and wanted to watch the Wisconsin game in a festive environment. Any suggestions? A place that serves deep dish pizza would be a real plus!

blazindw
12-03-2014, 10:37 AM
The Duke Chicago watch party is at Lincoln Park Stadium - 2423 N. Clark Street, Chicago. Probably the best place in Chicago to watch the game!

Mal
12-03-2014, 11:31 AM
If you're not wanting the official party, I think Sedgwick's (1935 North Sedgwick) is still the established Duke bar around town. It's only about 6 blocks from LP Stadium, so you could check out both, of course.

For pizza in the neighborhood of those two places, Ranalli's (1925 Lincoln) does Chicago style, but (a) most Chicagoans don't actually eat Chicago style pizza, and (b) IT'S A KNOWN BADGER BAR, so I'd avoid it. Brick's (right down the street at 1909 Lincoln) is one of the best, most underappreciated pizza joints in town, with a cozy, subterranean atmosphere. I'd go there for dinner, then head to one of the two bars to watch with Duke people. Everywhere else in town will be filled with UW alums and red and white sweatshirts.

JStuart
12-03-2014, 01:41 PM
I'm in downtown Chicago for a meeting and wanted to watch the Wisconsin game in a festive environment. Any suggestions? A place that serves deep dish pizza would be a real plus!

The Exchequer Pub, down a block from the Palmer House, is a fine deep dish bar, with lots of TV's tuned to sports. Have no idea if it is a Wisconsin leaning place or not.
Excellent pizza, and a good set of local taps.

luvdahops
12-03-2014, 02:15 PM
The Exchequer Pub, down a block from the Palmer House, is a fine deep dish bar, with lots of TV's tuned to sports. Have no idea if it is a Wisconsin leaning place or not.
Excellent pizza, and a good set of local taps.

There is a Lou Malnati's on 439 North Wells (just north of the River). Lou's is arguably the favorite of those Chicagoans who do eat deep dish (there are more than a few), and this one has a bunch of flat screens surrounding the dining area. Beer selection is decent but not great.

DavidBenAkiva
12-03-2014, 05:49 PM
The Exchequer Pub, down a block from the Palmer House, is a fine deep dish bar

I came here to suggest the Exchequer. A lot of the other suggestions are far from the Loop. The Exchequer is in the Loop (Wabash and Jackson) and is a very good place with decent deep dish or thin crust pizza. I went there a lot when I was in grad school at DePaul. I don't remember it being a Wisconsin bar. Then again, this is Big 10 (or B1G) territory, the capitol of the Midwest. Most people are Midwestern nice, so I wouldn't worry about it anyway.

Let's Go Duke!