S Jamal Golden, Jr., Georgia Tech ............... 43
P Justin Vogel, So., Miami .......................... 40

Honorable Mention: Defense (20 or more points):
DE--Art Norman, NC State (25); KeShun Freeman, Georgia
Tech (23); Anthony Chickillo, Miami (21); B.J. Dubose,
Louisville (20); DT--Olsen Pierre, Miami (38); David Dean,
Virginia (37); Luther Maddy, Virginia Tech (33); Nigel William,
Virginia Tech (29); Thomas Teal, NC State (27); Ethan
Farmer, North Carolina (22); Josh Banks, Wke Forest (20).
LB--Brandon Chubb, Wake Forest (30); P.J. Davis,. Georgia
Tech (25); Josh Keyes, Boston College (22); Keith Kelsey,
Louisville (20). CB--Kevin Johnson, Wake Forest (45); D.J.
White, Georgia Tech (40); Merrill Noel, Wake Forest (34);
Brian Walker, North Carolina (27); MacKensie Alexander,
Clemson (22). S--Deon Bush, Miami (36); DeVon Edwards,
Duke (26); Robert Smith, Clemson (20), P--Will Monday,
Duke (29); Riley Dixon, Syracuse (23).

School ............. 1st .. 2nd .. 3rd . Tot
Florida State ......... 10 ...... 4 ....... 3 .....17
Duke ...................... 4 ....... 1 ....... 4 .......9
Virginia ................... 0 ....... 5 ....... 3 .......8
Georgia Tech ......... 0 ....... 4 ....... 3 .......7
Clemson ................ 3 ....... 3 ....... 0 .......6
Louisville ................ 1 ....... 2 ....... 3 .......6
Miami .................... 2 ....... 3 ....... 1 .......6
Pitt ......................... 3 ....... 1 ....... 1 .......5
Virginia Tech ......... 1 ....... 1 ....... 3 .......5
Boston College ...... 1 ....... 0 ....... 3 .......4
North Carolina ........ 0 ....... 1 ....... 2 .......3
Syracuse ................ 0 ....... 0 ....... 2 .......2
Wake Forest .......... 0 ....... 2 ....... 0 .......2
NC State ................. 1 ....... 0 ....... 0 .......1

Olympic Fan
12-01-2014, 03:18 PM
So only FSU gets more players picked ....

A little disappointed that Jeremy Cash missed first team, but happy for David Helton, who had never been even honorable mention in the past.

Also glad to see Skura and Cofield make third team -- their first honors. Both centers ahead of Skura and redshirt seniors, so he has a real shot at first team a year from now.

jimsumner
12-01-2014, 03:28 PM
No real problems for me from a Duke perspective. I did vote for Cash on first team and had Martin on my second team and DeVon Edwards as third-team safety. But no injustices, IMO.

Interesting that 5-7 Virginia had eight guys, more than a 10-2 GT team and a pair of 9-3 teams. And seven more than a 7-5 NC State team.

So, I guess there's some truth to the narrative that Mike London is a great recruiter and a lousy coach.

And who, pray tell, are the folks who left Duke Johnson, Rashad Greene, Gerod Holliman and Vic Beasley off their first teams?

And I confess, I'm a bit perplexed by Luther Maddy getting votes. When healthy, he's the best DT in the league. But he played four games this season. Four games. He's eligible for a medical redshirt, for crying out loud.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-01-2014, 03:51 PM
No real problems for me from a Duke perspective. I did vote for Cash on first team and had Martin on my second team and DeVon Edwards as third-team safety. But no injustices, IMO.

Interesting that 5-7 Virginia had eight guys, more than a 10-2 GT team and a pair of 9-3 teams. And seven more than a 7-5 NC State team.

So, I guess there's some truth to the narrative that Mike London is a great recruiter and a lousy coach.

And who, pray tell, are the folks who left Duke Johnson, Rashad Greene, Gerod Holliman and Vic Beasley off their first teams?

And I confess, I'm a bit perplexed by Luther Maddy getting votes. When healthy, he's the best DT in the league. But he played four games this season. Four games. He's eligible for a medical redshirt, for crying out loud.

Cash had a phenomenal season, but seemed to evaporate a bit down the stretch. Was wondering if teams were game-planning for him or if maybe it was nagging injuries? Seemed early in the season, they called his name on every single play.

Regardless, great young man, great season. Hoping he has a great senior season and then plays on Sundays.

CDu
12-01-2014, 03:59 PM
Cash had a phenomenal season, but seemed to evaporate a bit down the stretch. Was wondering if teams were game-planning for him or if maybe it was nagging injuries? Seemed early in the season, they called his name on every single play.

Regardless, great young man, great season. Hoping he has a great senior season and then plays on Sundays.

I hate to say it, but here is hoping he HAS a senior season. He is effectively a redshirt junior, so it is possible he has already earned enough credit to graduate. And when you are getting national preseason acclaim, one has to at least consider the possibility that he could turn pro.

We have been immune to early entry in football to this point. But as we continue to have team success, we are eventually going to start losing some guys to early entry. Cash is certainly a worthy candidate to be the first.

Bob Green
12-01-2014, 05:54 PM
I hate to say it, but here is hoping he HAS a senior season. He is effectively a redshirt junior, so it is possible he has already earned enough credit to graduate. And when you are getting national preseason acclaim, one has to at least consider the possibility that he could turn pro.

We have been immune to early entry in football to this point. But as we continue to have team success, we are eventually going to start losing some guys to early entry. Cash is certainly a worthy candidate to be the first.

Cash was not honored as a Senior on Senior Night so the expectation is he will return.

devildeac
12-01-2014, 06:36 PM
Pretty cool that our recruiting has been called "fair" many times and we land 9 players on the All ACC teams and other schools (no names, please) get several more 4*s on their roster/s every year and end up with smaller numbers on these teams. Great testimony to Cut.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-01-2014, 06:52 PM
Cash was not honored as a Senior on Senior Night so the expectation is he will return.
I'll continue to be concerned until Jeremy makes it clear that he is staying. (Note that he enrolled at tOSU as a January freshman and then sat out a year after his transfer to Duke.) I've seen the top players miss their senior football banquet every year because they are prepping for the NFL draft. The players are less attached to such ceremonies than their parents or fans are.

duke09hms
12-01-2014, 06:58 PM
Pretty cool that our recruiting has been called "fair" many times and we land 9 players on the All ACC teams and other schools (no names, please) get several more 4*s on their roster/s every year and end up with smaller numbers on these teams. Great testimony to Cut.

Yes indeed, now imagine what Cut and our staff can do with all 3- and 4-star recruits!

We're still waiting for that stud QB recruit to sign a la Harbaugh's Andrew Luck. With our coaching and the other pieces now in place, a QB that can win us games on his own could take us to national contender status. We pulled in Renfree who was near that level back in '08, but not really any top QBs since.

The passing game will be the chief determinant of next year's success imo. Can Sirk or Pierre be that QB that can win us games? Will our young WRs step up?

arnie
12-01-2014, 07:33 PM

We lost Dave Brown to early entry, but that's been a few years(decades actually).

Bob Green
12-01-2014, 07:36 PM
We pulled in Renfree who was near that level back in '08, but not really any top QBs since.

ESPN rates/grades Nico Pierre (80) higher than Sean Renfree (76). I expect a healthy quarterback competition come Spring practice.

duke09hms
12-01-2014, 08:01 PM
ESPN rates/grades Nico Pierre (80) higher than Sean Renfree (76). I expect a healthy quarterback competition come Spring practice.

True. However, Sean Renfree was among the final Elite 11 QBs in the country and was extremely accurate coming out of HS and in college. Was the definite starter after Thad left, whereas neither Sirk nor Pierre have shown the requisite passing chops. Hopefully the QB position will be a position of strength next year.

Bob Green
12-01-2014, 08:07 PM
...whereas neither Sirk nor Pierre have shown the requisite passing chops.

Exactly what are you basing this analysis on? Nico Pierre has played a grand total of zero snaps in college. How about we give the guy a chance.

OldPhiKap
12-01-2014, 08:08 PM

It's not about the potential you bring -- it's about the excellence you develop.

Congratulations to all, we know the work you put in and the coaching you absorbed. And thank you for committing to Cut and Duke!

Wander
12-01-2014, 08:10 PM
Well, Andrew Luck was the most hyped quarterback prospect in forever, so I don't know if that's a fair standard. But I think our team would have - at worst - 11 wins with Thad Lewis at QB. What we haven't had is a really good quarterback and a really good defense at the same time. That will happen eventually, and when it does we'll be a really serious ACC power.

duke09hms
12-01-2014, 08:12 PM
Exactly what are you basing this analysis on? Nico Pierre has played a grand total of zero snaps in college. How about we give the guy a chance.

Relax, that's exactly my point. We haven't seen him pass just like we haven't seen Sirk really get a chance, though he's good at those Tebow jump-passes, so we just don't know. As a result, the passing game is the biggest question mark going into next season. Lots of uncertainty at the QB and WR positions.

Whereas previously, we had Renfree demonstrate a good passing touch when Thad missed games, and we had Boone demonstrate a good passing touch when Renfree missed games.

What we haven't had is a really good quarterback and a really good defense at the same time. That will happen eventually, and when it does we'll be a really serious ACC power.
EXACTLY. Also I'm so hoping we finally put all phases of the game together in our bowl game. Hasn't happened yet this year except maybe GT, but we really do need to get our first bowl win since what 1961???

jimsumner
12-01-2014, 08:44 PM
Duke expects Cash back. Sounds like a commercial. :)

And Pierre has a chance to be really good. If he's good enough, he'll play. Brad Kaaya was a true freshman this season and look what he did.

OldPhiKap
12-01-2014, 08:53 PM
Duke expects Cash back. Sounds like a commercial. :)

And Pierre has a chance to be really good. If he's good enough, he'll play. Brad Kaaya was a true freshman this season and look what he did.

I would pay real money to have Samuel Jackson as the game announcer in Wally Wade, even for one game.

Instead of "Cash with the sack, brings up fourth down" it would be "not in OUR house, £*+#[> {_€<=> !!!!!"

brevity
12-01-2014, 10:52 PM
I would pay real money to have Samuel Jackson as the game announcer in Wally Wade, even for one game.

I've seen the future, and Samuel L. Jackson does in fact visit the announcer booth at (Marsellus) Wallace Wade Stadium. Highlights:

"You mean this football stadium had a track? Just last year? That ain't the same ballpark, it ain't the same league, it ain't even the same #$%^ sport."
"It's hard for many people to believe that there are extraordinary things about Duke football. I hope you can keep an open mind."
"Enough is enough! I've had it with these mutha#$%^ snakes on this mutha#$%^ playoff committee!"
"You tell me where my uniform is, woman! We are talking about the greater good!"
"I recognize the referees have made a decision, but given that it's a stupid-@&* decision, I've elected to ignore it."
"Sure, I visited the University of Maryland once, but I left. I prefer to think of it as an exodus from an undesirable place."
"You ever watch rams at the zoo? You can always tell which ones were captured in the wild by the look in their eyes."
"Yes, UNC deserved to die, and I hope they burn in hell!"

Dukehky
12-02-2014, 11:35 AM

I am 1,000,000% ready for the Nico Pierre Era of Duke football. Whether that is next year or the year after, I am pumped. With him throwing to Jonathan Lloyd, the offense is gonna be fine. The biggest thing we need to continue to focus on is depth on the D-line. That's where we get hurt.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I hope that Pierre beats Sirk out this Spring. I have heard that the coaches aren't really that big on Boehme which is why I speak only about Sirk and Pierre