PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke 41, WFU 21 Post-Game Thread

devil84
11-29-2014, 10:26 PM
Congrats to the seniors on senior night. 9-3 on the season.

Post your game thoughts here.

DukieInKansas
11-29-2014, 10:30 PM
ESPNU showing the post game demolition. Team all on the bulldozer.

El_Diablo
11-29-2014, 10:30 PM
The bulldozers and backhoes are already on the field...that is amazing!

Congrats to the Blue Devils on another win and a 9-3 regular season.

sagegrouse
11-29-2014, 10:39 PM
Coach Cut says no need for the negative nellies to apologize. We (me too) are getting spoiled.

I took a campus tour with my grandson last Friday. The tour guide, a sophomore, said, while showing us the athletic facilities across the way, "I'm not very happy with our football team right now." Since I had already corrected her twice on the tour, I chose to say nothing, but "Geesiree, eight wins and you're down on the football team?"

I can also reveal that K had a small role in the win against Wake. Asked for advice by Cut after two successive losses, Coach K said in his strongest Chicago accent, which he always used to contrast with Cut's Alabama drawl: "Da-avid, I don't know a-a thing a-about footba-all, but I ha-ave a suggestion. Wa-ake reminds me of the good defensive teams of John Cha-aney a-at Temple, which a-alwa-ays seemed to plod on offense. I a-alwa-ays ma-ade sure we scored 80 points because Temple ra-arely scored more than 70. I looked at Wa-ake's record, and the most they have scored is 24. If Duke scores 40, I think we'll be fine. You ma-ay want to ta-ake some cha-ances on offense."

Wake scored 21, which wasn't enough to win against Duke.

OldPhiKap
11-29-2014, 10:50 PM
lots of fun at the game. Great to see/meet many posters and some dear college friends. Always good to come home.

Nothing is boring with this team, that's for sure.

Congratulations to the seniors -- first Duke teams to have back-to-back nine win seasons. Now, let's get y'all to be the first Duke team in almost two generations to win a bowl game!

uh_no
11-29-2014, 10:53 PM
Any pics of the ground breaking?

Bob Green
11-29-2014, 11:06 PM
Congratulations to the team on a solid win against a gutsy Wake team. We finish the regular season at 9-3! It was a cold but fun night in Wallace Wade Stadium.

DU82
11-29-2014, 11:51 PM
When Duke tears down the goal posts, we do it right!

Native
11-30-2014, 12:00 AM
Game itself was meh. Pretty weak crowd, but that's what happens over Thanksgiving.

The post-game demolition was great, though. Great speeches from Cut and Kevin White.

Took home a piece of the Wallace Wade track — pretty sweet memento. I imagine parts of it will eventually go on sale somehow; I saw a dude carve out the entire "4" on the starter's block and take it home.

Bob Green
11-30-2014, 07:48 AM
Game itself was meh.

Blakeney and Crowder had over 100 yards receiving and Boone threw the passes so there were some strong Senior Night performances. My only quibble with the game was the pass rush, which was pretty much non-existent. We just cannot generate any qb pressure without blitzing and it isn't a sure thing when we blitz. Wake's freshman quarterback had all night to throw the ball.

Reilly
11-30-2014, 07:57 AM
... there were some strong Senior Night performances ...

JDO had a huge 4th down play, and Cash seemed to be flying around as is his wont ...

OldPhiKap
11-30-2014, 08:08 AM
Blakeney and Crowder had over 100 yards receiving and Boone threw the passes so there were some strong Senior Night performances. My only quibble with the game was the pass rush, which was pretty much non-existent. We just cannot generate any qb pressure without blitzing and it isn't a sure thing when we blitz. Wake's freshman quarterback had all night to throw the ball.

Thank the Heavens that they know how to hold on fourth and short. (Although I suspect that may have more to do with the secondary crashing the line than stunning D-line play -- would love to be shown wrong on that point though).

I am still waiting for that game where all three phases of play execute crisply for 60 minutes. One more chance. Go Duke!

hudlow
11-30-2014, 09:22 AM
Sirk's little jump pass was a thing of beauty.

budwom
11-30-2014, 09:27 AM
If you look at what our team has and doesn't have (as objectively as possible) I think you have to say we have overachieved, which is great.
I had hoped for 8-4 in the regular season, and that's before Deaver and Kelby got hurt. We got almost nothing from second tier receivers, the
pass rush was not great all year, Boone was pretty erratic down the stretch, and yet we grabbed nine wins. I'm thrilled.

Nice if we could cap it off with a bowl win. All in all, a year which should be more than enough to keep the recruiting on a seriously upward trend.

(We finished ahead of Miami, Pitt, unc, UVA and VT in our division....and we beat the division champ. We've come a looooooong way).

burnspbesq
11-30-2014, 09:31 AM
Sirk's little jump pass was a thing of beauty.

I dunno, it looked to me like he had a toe on the line. Should only have been a four, not a six.

Chip Engelland would approve of his form on the pullup, i think. Squared up and stepped into the shot nicely.

Oh, wait.

devildeac
11-30-2014, 09:53 AM
The bulldozers and backhoes are already on the field...that is amazing!

Congrats to the Blue Devils on another win and a 9-3 regular season.

Those were not backhoes. This is a backhoe:

Duke started out with the big guns. Those were freaking excavators (I had to research that one.), the modern version of the old steam shovels:

(:oI made the same mistake last PM, not having "played" with one of them for nearly 3 decades since our son was a little construction worker. My wife quickly corrected me.:o)

Where else but DBR could we get a mini-seminar on the nomenclature of heavy equipment;)?

sagegrouse
11-30-2014, 10:00 AM
Where else but DBR could we get a mini-seminar on the nomenclature of heavy equipment;)?

Have you talked with a 6YO boy recently?

Reilly
11-30-2014, 10:23 AM
Have you talked with a 6YO boy recently?

But then the conversation would devolve into why doesn't Duke just use dinosaurs to move earth ...

Native
11-30-2014, 03:17 PM
But then the conversation would devolve into why doesn't Duke just use dinosaurs to move earth ...

To be fair, that would be awesome and you know it.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-30-2014, 04:05 PM
To be fair, that would be awesome and you know it.

Furthermore, it could be the subject of some sort of scholarly journal article based on such a unique utilization of dinosaurs.

duke79
11-30-2014, 05:09 PM

I believe Fred Flintstone beat us to it already.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Fred+Flintstone+Job&biw=1024&bih=538&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=4ZR7VOedKu3IsQS9y4KoCQ&ved=0CD4QsAQ#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=DLettVGanQBsmM%253A%3B1jEo6hITW362tM%3Bhttp% 253A%252F%252Fs3.amazonaws.com%252Frapgenius%252F1 357855104_fredcrane.gif%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fgeniu s.com%252F1397588%252FJeru-the-damaja-how-im-livin%252FFred-flintstones-out-a-job-because-i-turn-hard-rocks-to-gravel%3B1000%3B660

cspan37421
11-30-2014, 10:17 PM
Just back from Thanksgiving in the Triangle ... my son and I were there at the Wake game thanks to an old friend and faculty member with extra tickets.

I had not been back to a game since Homecoming 2010, which as I recall didn't turn out so well. Perhaps my memory is going, but I was pretty sure the field back then was artificial turf. I was part of a group recognized at halftime and we got to walk out there. My recollection was that I thought, "I sure wouldn't want to get rugburns on this stuff! As nice as it looks...."

So when the excavators came out at the end of the game, I was truly puzzled, because I thought the field was still artificial turf. They were so big and heavy that they tore up the grass with their treads even before they started digging. Once we got down there, lo and behold, it really was grass ... there were fans with empty food trays tearing up the dirt and collecting it on their trays. I couldn't tell what kind of grass it was; at first I thought it was Bermuda grass, as opposed to fescue, but I think it was something else altogether.

The game was fun, though the crowd was not huge and the cold muffled a lot of cheers and claps. We were about halfway between the President's box and the field, in the blue seats, which, although not fancy, had to be a lot more comfortable than the aluminum bench bleacher seats. The concessions were plentiful and the bathrooms quite decent. It's a nice place to see a game. Afterwards some of the players were more than happy to pose with the young kids of fans. Nice to see.

The game itself was interesting to watch; I don't go to many FB games at all, and it is such a different experience from watching it on TV. I was surprised Crowder's numbers were so high, as he seemed to have trouble getting much separation. I guess that one bomb accounted for a lot of it ... even then Boone really threaded it in there. Crowder looked small, and so did some of our DBs. On that note, our secondary was not terribly great ... had Wake's QB been more accurate it would have been much closer, and they might have even had a lead briefly. The mix of passing and running worked well. One XP seemed to flutter through, but it was nice to see Ross Martin solid again as he has almost always been. All in all, a good chilly time.