PDA

View Full Version : Might UNC's "problems" save Fedora's job?

53n206
11-29-2014, 02:54 PM
UNC down big at end 3rd. Might the administration keep Fedora on simply because they don't wish to look like a school where athletics are important?

uh_no
11-29-2014, 03:07 PM
holy tomatoes how did we get destroyed by that team?

Henderson
11-29-2014, 03:17 PM

By their having no class.

Duvall
11-29-2014, 03:21 PM
By their having no class.

I don't think that was a factor.

Strange things just happen in college sports. I would note that in both of UNC's last two games the team with the later bye week won easily.

TKG
11-29-2014, 03:21 PM

Apparently we were "surprised" that they would play hard......

Class of '94
11-29-2014, 10:12 PM
What goes around......comes around. Go Wolfpack!!! While it hurts to have lost to 2 bad teams in Carolina and VT, I was so happy to see State embarrass Carolina. I thought the Heels would come in overconfident and look past State; and true to form they did and subsequently lost badly.

Fedora's situation is interesting. It's the second straight year that Carolina started off slow (after being expected to be good and have great seasons) and barely make bowl eligibility. His record appears to be getting worse with each season (with his best season his first year I believe when he had many of Butch Davis' players); and this season is his worst at 6-6. Of course, he's going to point to the loss of scholarships and how he couldn't recruit a full class of scholarship players due to the sanctions; and his contract will give him additional time; but you have to wonder how long the Tar Heel faithful will support Fedora if Duke and State begin to regularly beat UNC each season,

moonpie23
11-29-2014, 10:44 PM
does "bowl eligible" mean "bowl certain"?

sagegrouse
11-29-2014, 11:22 PM
UNC down big at end 3rd. Might the administration keep Fedora on simply because they don't wish to look like a school where athletics are important?

Under the current shroud of uncertainty, UNC is in no position to recruit a new football coach -- Fedora will be back and will continue to fail until he starts wearing a fedora instead of a baseball cap.

TKG
11-30-2014, 08:30 AM
Maybe he should coach with his shirt off in an effort to intimidate the opposing coaches with his six pack.

OldPhiKap
11-30-2014, 08:45 AM
Maybe he should coach with his shirt off in an effort to intimidate the opposing coaches with his six pack.

We all recall the fiasco when Sylvia Hatchell tried that.

PackMan97
11-30-2014, 09:21 AM

I was thinking the opposite actually.

Fedora's struggles might end up saving UNC's FB team. I'm no expert, but I can't imagine Fedora is all that happy in Carolina. With the scandal that won't end, recruiting restrictions and piss poor fan support...I'm certain he's looking for an out.

I think with a more successful season, he's out the door. Right now I just don't see him leaving.

budwom
11-30-2014, 09:30 AM
I have to think Fedora himself was the source of the rumor that Florida is looking at him since it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Right up his dirtbag alley.

TKG
11-30-2014, 10:03 AM
I have to think Fedora himself was the source of the rumor that Florida is looking at him since it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Right up his dirtbag alley.

No doubt he learned this technique at the feet of the master of self promotion.......Roy.

BlueTeuf
11-30-2014, 11:08 PM
I've seen Larry Fedora disparaged on multiple occasions and was wondering if someone would lay out the basis for such animosity? I'm not proposing a debate, just looking to better understand, as I know little about him other than his football record - though I'm aware of his recent take on the locker-room vandalism and his "championship" ring procurement.

Dukehky
11-30-2014, 11:26 PM
The commentators on yesterdays game said that UNC was a well coached team under Larry Fedora. Which I thought was hilarious.

OldPhiKap
11-30-2014, 11:30 PM
The commentators on yesterdays game said that UNC was a well coached team under Larry Fedora. Which I thought was hilarious.

"I'll take 'Announcers talking out of their butt without a clue' for $1,000, Alex"

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-01-2014, 09:55 AM
When Butch Davis left wasn't there a large amount of money funneled into a buy out? I remember a discussion on this board about how long it would take to be back at a point where UNC could consider buying out Fedora if need be.

hudlow
12-01-2014, 11:23 AM

By UNC standards - I'd have to give the announcers the benefit of the doubt.

Native
12-01-2014, 12:51 PM
From today's Daily Tar Heel.

Enjoy.

(Click to make bigger.)

brevity
12-01-2014, 01:01 PM

Enjoy.

(Click to make bigger.)

Huh. I thought any big, useless white space in the Carolina paper was supposed to remind us of Eric Montross. (Reference (http://www.si.com/vault/1992/02/17/125977/crunch-time), if needed.)

OldPhiKap
12-01-2014, 01:25 PM

Enjoy.

(Click to make bigger.)

Brilliant, great link.

Huh. I thought any big, useless white space in the Carolina paper was supposed to remind us of Eric Montross. (Reference (http://www.si.com/vault/1992/02/17/125977/crunch-time), if needed.)

Brillianter, great reach back in history.