PDA

View Full Version : Football-basketball bonanza today

Olympic Fan
11-28-2014, 01:43 PM
I thought Thanksgiving Day was a disappointment when it came to TV watching. The three NFL games were all lame. The two big college football games were less than compelling -- the LSU-Texas A&M game was exciting but meaningless; the Texas Tech-Texas game was meaningful, but lopsided. There was some compelling basketball to watch -- especially Wojo's victory over Georgia Tech -- but not that much and I didn't get to see the game I wanted to see most -- UCLA-UNC (although that turned into a dud).

But today promises to be pretty great.

It's already started with Western Kentucky building a big first-half lead on Marshall. That would be huge -- Marshall needs to win to keep its hopes alive to be the one non-power five team in a major bowl. Boise State is the other top contender for this guaranteed spot -- they play Utah State Saturday. Colorado State is 10-1 and still in the mix and they play Air Force later today.

We get two huge college football games at 3:30 -- UCLA-Stanford; Arizona-Arizona State -- those two games will determine the Pac 12 South champ -- UCLA has the tiebreakers and gets it with a win ... if they lose the Arizona-ASU winner meets Oregon in the title game.

And at 8 p.m. we get a pretty interesting ACC game. No national title implications, but Virginia and Virginia Tech are both 5-6, so the winner gets a bowl and the loser stays home -- VPI hasn't
missed a bowl since the early 1990s. Interesting to see how the Cavs play after giving Mike London a contract extension earlier this week (good news for the rest of the ACC!).

But I'll be switching back and forth all day with basketball. Nine ACC teams are in action, although not all of them will be on TV. I want to see how Wojo and Marquette follow their big win against Michigan State (9 p.m.). I want to see future Duke opponent St. John's take on Gonzaga in the Garden (7 p.m.). I want to see Oklahoma face Wisconsin in the title game of the Battle of Atlantis (4:30 pm).

I can see all those, but I don't think I'll get to watch the fifth place game from the Bahamas -- short-handed Florida against UNC.

Still, a great day to watch TV ... so excuse me if I head to the couch to see if Western Kentucky can hang on ... and Tennessee hoops can rally against Kansas.

blazindw
11-28-2014, 02:02 PM
I thought Thanksgiving Day was a disappointment when it came to TV watching. The three NFL games were all lame.

I personally thought the Lions game was fantastic! :) Growing up in Detroit (minus 2 years in middle school in DFW), the Thanksgiving tradition for me is Lions, then Cowboys, then Texas Longhorns. Yesterday was no exception (though I did watch a tiny bit of the late NFL game). The Lions are the highlight for me, obviously, but watching those 3 games are as much a part of my Thanksgiving Day as the family and the turkey!

Olympic Fan
11-28-2014, 05:16 PM
Great start to the day -- Western Kentucky edges unbeaten Marshall in OT -- 67-66 (it was 59 all at the end of regulation ... Marshall scored first in OT ... then WKU scored, went for 2 and got it).

Also watched Nebraska edge Iowa 37-34 in OT.

Two great Pac 12 games as we speak -- Stanford up 21-10 on UCLA at the half; Arizona and ASU tied 21-all. Also a big SEC game -- Arkansas is up 14-6 on Missouri. If Mizzu falls, that puts Georgia in the SEC title game.

So far, not as much drama on the hoops side. Good with for Butler over Georgetown and the title game from the Bahamas is great early -- Oklahoma and Wisconsin are trading he lead.

OldPhiKap
11-28-2014, 05:31 PM
Here comes Mizzou. . . .

OldPhiKap
11-28-2014, 06:05 PM
Wow what a gutty job by Arkansas' QB. Great finish going on . . . .

OldPhiKap
11-28-2014, 06:24 PM
Mizzou pulls outa other one. Dawg Nation hating life. Curious to see if they come out to squash GT, or whether the wind is out of their sails.

Bob Green
11-28-2014, 06:27 PM
Navy 42, South Alabama 40 was an exciting game. I am happy the Midshipmen (6-5) earned bowl eligibility today so they do not have that monkey on their back against Army. Go Navy! Smash Army!

OldPhiKap
11-28-2014, 06:31 PM
Stanford 31, #8 UCLA 10, under 5;00 to go. No time outs left for UCLA.

Which puts Arizona in the driver's seat for PAC-## South, up 42-28 over AZ. St. But time left in that game. (7 min.)

Edit -- Arizona State TD, game down to one possession with 5 minutes and plenty of time outs . . . .

subzero02
11-28-2014, 07:45 PM
It doesn't look like unc/uf will be televised...

MulletMan
11-28-2014, 07:53 PM
It doesn't look like unc/uf will be televised...

It's on axs tv.