PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. Army (Nov. 30, Noon, ESPNU) Pre-game and In-Game Thread

MChambers
11-27-2014, 12:24 PM
Duke plays another non-conference opponent before facing Wisconsin next week. Interestingly, Army is 5-0, ranked #161 in Pomeroy and #140 in Sagarin, so the Cadets will not be a pushover. In what to me is a big surprise, Army is #33 in adjusted tempo, so it may be a very fast paced game.

Here's a brief article about the game, from the Army perspective.

http://www.recordonline.com/article/20141125/COLLEGEVARSITY/141129528/-1/collegevarsity01

Once again, Duke should have a big size advantage, so expect Okafor to get a lot of touches. (Of course, he should get a lot of touches every game, but you get my point.)

OldPhiKap
11-27-2014, 12:51 PM
Duke plays another non-conference opponent before facing Wisconsin next week. Interestingly, Army is 5-0, ranked #161 in Pomeroy and #140 in Sagarin, so the Cadets will not be a pushover. In what to me is a big surprise, Army is #33 in adjusted tempo, so it may be a very fast paced game.

Here's a brief article about the game, from the Army perspective.

http://www.recordonline.com/article/20141125/COLLEGEVARSITY/141129528/-1/collegevarsity01

Once again, Duke should have a big size advantage, so expect Okafor to get a lot of touches. (Of course, he should get a lot of touches every game, but you get my point.)

I hope that Tanner Omlid is not seriously injured and can play.

Army is never intimidated and is typically very disciplined. Should be a good game. Go Duke!

CrazyNotCrazie
11-27-2014, 08:24 PM
There was a great article in SI recently about a senior guard for Army who was born to a crack addicted, inner city mom but was raised by a gay couple, I believe in NC then in the DC area. Really inspiring story.

JBDuke
11-27-2014, 10:02 PM
There was a great article in SI recently about a senior guard for Army who was born to a crack addicted, inner city mom but was raised by a gay couple, I believe in NC then in the DC area. Really inspiring story.

Here's the article: http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2014/11/11/max-lenox-army-basketball

Good recommendation, CrazyNotCrazie. I read this when it came out, and it's an amazing story about an amazing young man. Bring a box of tissues.

Stories like this are a great counter to all the negative crap you see on the news. It gives me hope.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-29-2014, 06:21 AM
Can't believe the preview fell off the main page! What is this, some sort of holiday weekend?

Go Duke!

(bump)

Bob Green
11-29-2014, 07:40 AM
In what to me is a big surprise, Army is #33 in adjusted tempo, so it may be a very fast paced game.

I enjoy a fast paced game, especially considering our depth and talent at guard/small forward. Let's press and run.

Troublemaker
11-29-2014, 01:52 PM
I enjoy a fast paced game, especially considering our depth and talent at guard/small forward. Let's press and run.

Army themselves apparently like to employ a press and like to run. Hoping for a high-possession, entertaining 100-70 type game.

DevilYouthCoach
11-29-2014, 03:30 PM
Here's the article: http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2014/11/11/max-lenox-army-basketball

Good recommendation, CrazyNotCrazie. I read this when it came out, and it's an amazing story about an amazing young man. Bring a box of tissues.

Stories like this are a great counter to all the negative crap you see on the news. It gives me hope.

I agree. The story does gives me hope too. Around this year's Thanksgiving table ritual, I said I was thankful for all the "young people" in my life -- my son, my friends' kids, the interns and assistants I've had, the baristas who make me hot chocolate, etc. etc. I am 67 now, and I learn so much good stuff from folks who are 30-40-50 years younger than I am! (I am thankful for this year's Duke basketball team too! Go Quinn! et al.)

Ggallagher
11-30-2014, 07:34 AM
Came across an interesting factoid related to today's game. Army will be trying to get their season record to 6-0 with today's game. They haven't started a season with a record like that since......
......Coach K did it in the 1976-77 season.
And Army's Coach Spiker can move past Coach K on the all time Army win list with a victory today.

subzero02
11-30-2014, 09:27 AM
I will be looking at Sulaimon and our turnovers in what will likely be a fast paced game...

sagegrouse
11-30-2014, 09:49 AM
I will be looking at Sulaimon and our turnovers in what will likely be a fast paced game...

Just asking... Are you conflating the two? I am looking for breakout games by Grayson and Semi -- we need Grayson this year; we'll need Semi next year after the exodus to the NBA.

Henderson
11-30-2014, 10:12 AM
Looks like Duke is a 26.5 point favorite.

Henderson
11-30-2014, 10:17 AM

Bumping this link, referenced by CrazyNotCrazie and linked by JBDuke. If you haven't read it, you might want to. It's a story of three pretty brave men.

Kedsy
11-30-2014, 11:19 AM
Just asking... Are you conflating the two? I am looking for breakout games by Grayson and Semi -- we need Grayson this year; we'll need Semi next year after the exodus to the NBA.

Do you really think we "need" Grayson this year? Assuming Rasheed and Matt are capable as our fourth and fifth perimeter options, do we really "need" a sixth option?

riverside6
11-30-2014, 11:53 AM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Army, starters posted...

http://www.scacchoops.com/army-at-duke-basketball-live-stats-11302014

GGLC
11-30-2014, 03:11 PM
Anyone who watched know why Justise played so few minutes?

Native
11-30-2014, 03:14 PM
Anyone who watched know why Justise played so few minutes?

Foul trouble early was my diagnosis. He had two early-ish in the first half.

AncientPsychicT
11-30-2014, 03:30 PM
Foul trouble early was my diagnosis. He had two early-ish in the first half.

Yup. He had two charges called on him before two minutes had passed, and when he came back in later in the first half, he picked up his third foul by fouling a 3-point jump-shooter only two minutes after he returned.