PDA

View Full Version : Streaks

Olympic Fan
11-27-2014, 01:52 AM
Duke extended two pretty significant winning streaks Wednesday against Furman.

(1) The win was Duke's 36th straight home win -- the nation's longest current streak. Last week both Florida and Stephen F. Austin, which were essentially matching Duke's home win streak, both lost at home. Right now, Gonzaga has the second longest active streak -- 29 straight at home.

(2) The win was Duke's 112th straight non-conference home victory. That streak is more than double second place -- Syracuse has won 58 straight non-conference home games.

Duke is going to extend both streaks. Realistically, there's not a non-conference team coming to Cameron this season that should have a chance. Maybe an ACC team could end the first streak later this season -- but UNC (Feb. 18) and Syracuse (Feb. 28) seem like the only realistic chances. Neither Louisville nor Virginia plays in Cameron this year.

AncientPsychicT
11-27-2014, 02:46 AM

(1) The win was Duke's 36th straight home win -- the nation's longest current streak. Last week both Florida and Stephen F. Austin, which were essentially matching Duke's home win streak, both lost at home. Right now, Gonzaga has the second longest active streak -- 29 straight at home.

(2) The win was Duke's 112th straight non-conference home victory. That streak is more than double second place -- Syracuse has won 58 straight non-conference home games.

Duke is going to extend both streaks. Realistically, there's not a non-conference team coming to Cameron this season that should have a chance. Maybe an ACC team could end the first streak later this season -- but UNC (Feb. 18) and Syracuse (Feb. 28) seem like the only realistic chances. Neither Louisville nor Virginia plays in Cameron this year.

Miami, who plays in Cameron on Jan. 13, seems like a better team than Syracuse to me at this point. I'd even be willing to listen to arguments in favor of Notre Dame (Feb. 7) in lieu of the Cuse as well.

OldPhiKap
11-27-2014, 07:32 AM

That loss to St. John still sticks in my craw, we just collapsed down the stretch after being up significantly in that game late. We had a gaudy win streak before that single loss too IIRC.

Indoor66
11-27-2014, 07:36 AM

I am not good at math but - "more than double"?

devildeac
11-27-2014, 07:58 AM

His statistician/accountant is from unc:rolleyes:.

mbd1mbd1
11-27-2014, 10:09 AM
I was at that St Johns loss too. I was right behind their bench, and Lou Carnesecca was in attendance. Wasn't that the game that Coach K told the Crazies to lay off Erick Barkley for some NCAA nonsense, and then he taunted the crowd after the game?

oakvillebluedevil
11-27-2014, 10:15 AM
That loss to St. John still sticks in my craw, we just collapsed down the stretch after being up significantly in that game late. We had a gaudy win streak before that single loss too IIRC.

Did a little bit of research. According to a couple sources (wikipedia being one - take that as you may), it looks like we've lost only 3 non conference home games since Feb. 2, 1983.

Illinois on Dec. 2, 1995 and Michigan Dec. 8, 1996 are the losses other than the St. John's loss.

Before Illinois, we had a 95 game non conference home streak.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/st-johns-stuns-no-2-duke/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cameron_Indoor_Stadium

Looked through basketball reference - combined since Feb. 2 1983 it looks like we are 215-3 in non-conf. home games.

Skitzle
11-27-2014, 10:17 AM
Other Fun Streaks:

UNC Win Streak: -1.

The Butler loss made my week! I love it when UNC loses to inferior teams in the preseason.

Des Esseintes
11-27-2014, 10:54 AM
I was at that St Johns loss too. I was right behind their bench, and Lou Carnesecca was in attendance. Wasn't that the game that Coach K told the Crazies to lay off Erick Barkley for some NCAA nonsense, and then he taunted the crowd after the game?

Yes. It was also the game in which a female gate attendant committed the unforgivable sin of failing to immediately recognize Billy Packer and asked for his ID pass. Which caused Packer to announce that he didn't understand why women had any role in sports. Then he said Duke had "no chance" of beating St. John's that night. Sooo, it was not amazing amid all that business for Duke to go ahead and lose to Barkley and the rest of the Red Storm.

roywhite
11-27-2014, 10:57 AM
Yes. It was also the game in which a female gate attendant committed the unforgivable sin of failing to immediately recognize Billy Packer and asked for his ID pass. Which caused Packer to announce that he didn't understand why women had any role in sports. Then he said Duke had "no chance" of beating St. John's that night. Sooo, it was not amazing amid all that business for Duke to go ahead and lose to Barkley and the rest of the Red Storm.

With that reminder on Thanksgiving Day, I'll add Billy Packer's retirement from broadcasting to my list of things to be thankful for.

OldPhiKap
11-27-2014, 11:11 AM
With that reminder on Thanksgiving Day, I'll add Billy Packer's retirement from broadcasting to my list of things to be thankful for.

I have an image in my head of Billy Packer and Len Elmore sitting in a retirement home somewhere, crabbing that their eggs are runny and the coffee is cold.

uh_no
11-27-2014, 11:13 AM
Other Fun Streaks:

UNC Win Streak: -1.

The Butler loss made my week! I love it when UNC loses to inferior teams in the preseason.

be careful now....the weauxfing gods don't take t-giving off ;)

Olympic Fan
11-27-2014, 11:47 AM

Oops ... that's mu mistake. Let's just say "almost" double the second longest streak.

Like I say, the non-conference win streak is not going to be threatened this year ... maybe a year from now in the next ACC-Big Ten Challenge ... we should get a top Big Ten team in Cameron.

I'm not saying you're wrong AncientPsychicT. I think Syracuse has more potential than Miami (which has great guards, but a very weak and thin frontcourt). Plus Boeheim will have them ready for the visit. Notre Dame has a chance, but I think the Irish are much more likely to get us Jan. 28 in South Bend than Feb. 7 in Durham. And don't forget Pitt on Jan. 19th -- the Panthers are showing signs of life after a horrid start to the season. That victory over K-State was impressive.

OldPhiKap
11-27-2014, 11:52 AM
My favorite current streak:

Consecutive bowl appearances by Duke: 3

jimsumner
11-27-2014, 12:04 PM
Let me throw in another one. Duke has been ranked in the AP poll for 139 consecutive polls, beginning at the start of the 2007-'08-season. That tops the NCAA by a sizeable margin. Kansas is second at 106, Syracuse third at 98.

Duvall
11-27-2014, 12:23 PM
My favorite current streak:

Consecutive bowl appearances by Duke: 3

Though Duke hasn't been invited yet...

OldPhiKap
11-27-2014, 12:45 PM
Though Duke hasn't been invited yet...

So -- you are worried we are staying home? Or just picking technical nits on this fine Thanksgiving Day?

Duvall
11-27-2014, 01:16 PM
So -- you are worried we are staying home? Or just picking technical nits on this fine Thanksgiving Day?

Just trying not to count unhatched chickens. The ACC does have plenty of tie-ins.

jimsumner
11-27-2014, 01:30 PM
Just trying not to count unhatched chickens. The ACC does have plenty of tie-ins.

FWIW, Duke is not waiting for an invite to start selling tickets.

Wander
11-27-2014, 02:00 PM
I'm pretty sure it's literally impossible for Duke not to make a bowl, even if we lose to Wake and every other ACC team wins their last game (which of course isn't even mathematically possible since some of them play each other). There are 14 ACC teams, we'll have at least 8 wins, 5 ACC teams are guaranteed to be at 6 wins or less, and I count 9 bowls that must take an ACC team if available. Saying we haven't been invited yet is so nitpicky that it seems satirical.

OldPhiKap
11-27-2014, 02:39 PM
I'm pretty sure it's literally impossible for Duke not to make a bowl, even if we lose to Wake and every other ACC team wins their last game (which of course isn't even mathematically possible since some of them play each other). There are 14 ACC teams, we'll have at least 8 wins, 5 ACC teams are guaranteed to be at 6 wins or less, and I count 9 bowls that must take an ACC team if available. Saying we haven't been invited yet is so nitpicky that it seems satirical.

To be fair -- I still do not believe in the Bitcoin Bowl.

devildeac
11-27-2014, 06:53 PM
Let me throw in another one. Duke has been ranked in the AP poll for 139 consecutive polls, beginning at the start of the 2007-'08-season. That tops the NCAA by a sizeable margin. Kansas is second at 106, Syracuse third at 98.

Where does that rank all time? I'm guessing far behind UCLA.

duketaylor
11-27-2014, 07:36 PM
Not that any streak is involved, but Florida has lost 2 games already and has an away game at Kansas in the near future. unc has a tough opponent in UCLA now, unc leads by 4 in the first half...