PDA

View Full Version : Joe Surgan's problem IS NOT mechanical

Bluedawg
09-14-2007, 05:11 PM
It is not technical. This quote (http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/media/storage/paper884/news/2007/09/14/Football/Surgan.Searches.For.InGame.Results-2969576.shtml)says it all.

"I don't know what it is," Roof said. "I don't know what it is. We've gone around and around-investigating things, talking to people. He's gone to [kicking camps]. But the bottom line is when you have an opportunity, you've got to make good. That's his job. That's his responsibility."

It must be difficult for the Blue Devils to watch the fluctuating performance of their talented teammate, who is clearly caught in a rut of some kind.

Sunday through Friday, Surgan executes and produces like any blue chip recruit should. But on Saturdays, Roof said his kicker fails to square his hips and consistently pushes his attempts wide right, and the Blue Devils are forced to watch their teammate perform anomalously.

Whereas in practice he is relaxed and uses his usual motion in the game he is pressing, slapping at the ball instead of kicking it. it is not a lack of talent, after all he was "Ranked the fourth-best kicker in the nation by scout.com." it has become a sense of panic.

He can do it if he can relax and use his normal fluid kicking motion.

devilirium
09-14-2007, 09:41 PM
Have to agree with Roof....Joe just isn't a pressure kicker....Joe has been put through the paces at practice.I've seen it. He's smooth, doesn't flinch when the pressure isn't there. Yes, defeat or victory is a collective effort, but you have guys that can be replaced if they can't close the deal. Greg Meyers will have to seize the moment if this keeps up.

Bluedawg
09-15-2007, 01:16 PM
Have to agree with Roof....Joe just isn't a pressure kicker....Joe has been put through the paces at practice.I've seen it. He's smooth, doesn't flinch when the pressure isn't there. Yes, defeat or victory is a collective effort, but you have guys that can be replaced if they can't close the deal. Greg Meyers will have to seize the moment if this keeps up.

You don't become ranked fourth in the nation by not being a pressure kicker. Sorry, don't agree. I still have faith in him!

devilirium
09-17-2007, 01:07 AM
Well, he did look good on 2 out of 3 XP's on Saturday nite.... but have you noticed that we go for it on 4th down a lot? It's not merely Ted being bold and throwing caution to the wind. It's knowing that Joe had 3 "straight" kicks that hooked in the UVA game.

Hey, I hope Joe proves me wrong. I do. He's very good with kickoffs. I laud him for going to kicking camp and paying his way. Something has happened since his first year, though. His performance was above average. Maybe, he needs to see a sports psychologist like John Smoltz did.

Bluedawg
09-17-2007, 08:47 AM
Well, he did look good on 2 out of 3 XP's on Saturday nite.... but have you noticed that we go for it on 4th down a lot? It's not merely Ted being bold and throwing caution to the wind. It's knowing that Joe had 3 "straight" kicks that hooked in the UVA game.

Hey, I hope Joe proves me wrong. I do. He's very good with kickoffs. I laud him for going to kicking camp and paying his way. Something has happened since his first year, though. His performance was above average.

I applaud Coach for going for it on 4th down and some of it has to do with Joe's problems. However, I'm sure some of it has to do with an 0-22 run, trying to shake things up and trying to show/instill confidence in the offense.

Maybe, he needs to see a sports psychologist like John Smoltz did.

that was the underlying point that I was leading to, I just wanted to see if someone else came to the same conclusion. After all, it helped make John a HoF player. duke has the people, probably the best in the country, to assist in this.

Bluedawg
09-26-2007, 10:27 AM
Maybe, he needs to see a sports psychologist like John Smoltz did.

Physically, Surgan is healthy. He even spent extra time working with a kicking coach during spring break. But, mentally, it seems like the misses are stuck deep in his head when he's winding up for another one.

"It is mental with Joe,' Roof said. "Because he makes every kick during the week in practice. Then gets in a game ... it is mental. It's not physical.

"It's like a golf pro with 3-foot putts. Those guys get the yips. Then they stand in front of a putt and they know they're not going to make it. Whereas the guys who know they're going to drill it in the back of the cup, it goes in the cup. It's definitely not physical."
Surgan's slump at Duke (http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/index.php?title=surgan&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1)

...so i wonder why they don't. After all they have an excellent program at Duke...

SoCalDukeFan
09-26-2007, 03:30 PM
Ted Roof can not have Sturgan try a meaningful kick in a game.

I saw his missed extra point in the Navy game. I also went to the USC-Washington State game. At halftime they had a deal where a man and woman student tried a extra point then a 50 yarder if they made the extra point. Big dough for the 50 yarder but little chance of making it. The guy made the extra point, the gal missed - but her kick was about as good as Joe's.

Maybe if we get way up or way down and then have a kicking opportunity, then Roof can let Joe try again.

Maybe a sports shrink will help. Whatever it is embarrassing.

SoCal