PDA

View Full Version : Duke football notes, 11-25-14

jimsumner
11-25-2014, 02:19 PM
The visitors’ locker room shows no signs of Thursday’s vandalism, although the smell of paint lingered.

Cutcliffe didn’t seem all that bothered by it all. He called it “old news already. “ He did joke that young people and spray paint is a bad combination. He also suggested that spray paint not be at Duke-Carolina games and any repainting be done afterwards.

Redshirt juniors Sam Marshall, Carson Ginn, Marcus Aprahamian, Lucas Fisher and Nick Hill will be introduced as seniors Saturday, thus indicating the end of their Duke careers. None have played much this season and there are no surprises among this list.

All of the redshirt juniors expected to be in next year’s two-deep are expected to return.

Thad Lewis called Cutcliffe yesterday to let him know that he was going to sign with the Texans and would be the second-team QB . Cut said it made his day.

The Wallace Wade renovation will begin Sunday. Cut says the goal is a “more and more fan friendly” stadium. “The fans will fall in love” with it.

Jamison Crowder said he found out about his selection to the Senior Bowl about two weeks ago. Cut says Crowder and Laken Tomlinson “will represent themselves but also Duke University.” He’ll make sure they know that scouts scrutinize their practice habits. A good thing for Duke football to have the program featured in games like this.

David Helton said he could only watch about a quarter of last Saturday’s Wake Forest-VT game. “I play on defense but I can’t watch that much defense," he laughed. "I want to be entertained when I watch football, especially on my off-day.”

Helton also said that the defense has prioritized helping the offense this week by forcing turnovers and getting three-and-outs that lead to short fields. “It’s a big emphasis for us. We have the mentality that it’s going to be a low-scoring game, that it’s our defense against their defense."

It's Senior Day, a traditional time for looking back and summarizing.

I'll let Takoby Cofield speak to that.

"It's bittersweet. It's starting to kick in. . . . We came here believing in Coach Cut’s dream, the dream of changing the program. We all had to really believe in each other. I can remember when I committed here and everybody giving me the what-in-the-world-are-you-doing-look. It was staying the course, believing the dream, seeing the accomplishments."

OldPhiKap
11-25-2014, 02:28 PM
Great stuff as always, Jim. These are really appreciated all season. Thanks.

uh_no
11-25-2014, 02:29 PM
The Wallace Wade renovation will begin Sunday.

do we have an idea of what will be done for next year?

there were like 5 sets of plans that went in and out, and no concept (at least as far as i've seen) of exactly what they're ACTUALLY doing and when.

but excited for this

Bob Green
11-25-2014, 03:18 PM
It's Senior Day, a traditional time for looking back and summarizing.

I'll let Takoby Cofield speak to that.

"It's bittersweet. It's starting to kick in. . . . We came here believing in Coach Cut’s dream, the dream of changing the program. We all had to really believe in each other. I can remember when I committed here and everybody giving me the what-in-the-world-are-you-doing-look. It was staying the course, believing the dream, seeing the accomplishments."

Cofield's words are powerful, thank you very much for sharing them with us!

BigWayne
11-25-2014, 03:48 PM
Redshirt juniors Sam Marshall, Carson Ginn, Marcus Aprahamian, Lucas Fisher and Nick Hill will be introduced as seniors Saturday, thus indicating the end of their Duke careers. None have played much this season and there are no surprises among this list.

I assume this means these guys will graduate this year and use their experience here as a stepping stone to successful lives. Congrats to them all!

Tripping William
11-25-2014, 04:17 PM
David Helton said he could only watch about a quarter of last Saturday’s Wake Forest-VT game. “I play on defense but I can’t watch that much defense," he laughed. "I want to be entertained when I watch football, especially on my off-day.”

As one who watched the whole thing, in person at BB&T Field, I know exactly where Helton is coming from. I do not know if it is that both defenses are so stellar (quite unlikely), or that both offenses are so very poor (more likely), or a combination of decent defenses facing off against bad offenses (probably this). I saw no genuine playmakers on either offense and, frankly, thought the biggest difference-maker for Wake was their punter. I nonetheless hope we see a lot of him on Saturday.

OldPhiKap
11-25-2014, 10:01 PM
I think I say this every week, but -- Cut's PCs are on GoDuke.com app. Always, always worth watching.

Still trying to figure out which voice is Jim.

Reilly
11-26-2014, 05:36 AM
... Cut's PCs are on GoDuke.com app. Always, always worth watching ...

Agreed on the press conferences. They are free. They are wonderful. Cut sees the best in people, honestly explains his emotions, and is charming in the sense of making himself and others feel better at the same time.

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=3560308&db_oem_id=4200

I liked this week how Cut told the story of when he was upset in high school about not making an all-star team, his mother explained the difference to him between success and achievement.

Like K, Cut seems to be a master of having studied or discerned how we humans operate emotionally in this world, and how to channel those emotions -- or overcome certain emotions -- in order to achieve certain things, or overcome obstacles.

jimsumner
11-26-2014, 11:04 AM
I think I say this every week, but -- Cut's PCs are on GoDuke.com app. Always, always worth watching.

Still trying to figure out which voice is Jim.

I'm the one who sounds like he was raised in Robeson County.

Tom B.
11-26-2014, 12:41 PM
I liked this week how Cut told the story of when he was upset in high school about not making an all-star team, his mother explained the difference to him between success and achievement.

Also interesting when he talked about how the team has been adjusting (and is still adjusting) this season to being the "hunted," and the need to make that adjustment while remembering and continuing to do what got you there in the first place. Just the idea of Duke football being thought of as "the hunted" is incredibly cool, but given the 20-plus year history before the last couple of seasons, I can see how it might be a bit unfamiliar.

And I liked the bit at the end where he told the reporters to help themselves to some cookies "from the Cutcliffe family." Now that's how you keep the press on your side.

jimsumner
11-26-2014, 01:41 PM
Also interesting when he talked about how the team has been adjusting (and is still adjusting) this season to being the "hunted," and the need to make that adjustment while remembering and continuing to do what got you there in the first place. Just the idea of Duke football being thought of as "the hunted" is incredibly cool, but given the 20-plus year history before the last couple of seasons, I can see how it might be a bit unfamiliar.

And I liked the bit at the end where he told the reporters to help themselves to some cookies "from the Cutcliffe family." Now that's how you keep the press on your side.

RE: cookies. He/they have been doing this since his first season at Duke.

OldPhiKap
11-26-2014, 01:50 PM
I'm the one who sounds like he was raised in Robeson County.

It's amazing how much the accent changes once you go South of the Border though.

johnb
11-27-2014, 11:15 AM
Thanks, Jim!

A nice interview with Josh Snead:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2014/11/duke-sr-rb-josh-snead-regrets/