PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. Furman (Nov 26, 5 pm, ESPNU) Pre-game and In-Game Thread

MChambers
11-25-2014, 12:51 PM
Duke plays the Paladins in a tuneup before Thanksgiving. I'm guessing we'll be back to the line changes and full court pressure, at least for the first half. Would like to see some of shooters dial it in a little better against a weaker opponent than they faced in the last week.

subzero02
11-25-2014, 01:07 PM
Maybe this game helps Sulaimon to find his offensive rhythm. I hope to see better shooting too, particularly from foul line (Winslow),

flyingdutchdevil
11-25-2014, 01:08 PM
Platoon is coming back! My guess: no starter plays more than 25. No player more than 28. N. Pagliuca and S. Kelly each score.

flyingdutchdevil
11-26-2014, 10:04 AM
Furman 39.5 - 105 Duke. Healthy 65 point spread. 145 total score.

What I'd like to see:

1) No injuries

2) That's about it...

Saratoga2
11-26-2014, 10:16 AM
We need to get much better shooting free throws in preparation for a very good Wisconsin team. We are going to need to convert the easy ones as they typically do. Furman is rightly thought of as a tune up for follow-on games.

Brockt10
11-26-2014, 10:21 AM
Prediction: Marshall has a 10 and 10 night.
What I would like to see: Jefferson make three jump shots from 12 feet

jv001
11-26-2014, 10:24 AM
What I want to see is Grayson get 20 points in 10 minutes to really get the "more minutes" for Grayson going hot and heavy on this board. :cool:GoDuke!

tux
11-26-2014, 10:34 AM
What I would like to see: Jefferson make three jump shots from 12 feet

Me too. Honestly, if Amile can't knock down that elbow jumper or attack from that spot, it's just not going to be very effective to have him flash to the high post, unless the goal is just to move the ball in and then back out to the perimeter. Winslow was more effective in that spot against Stanford.

sagegrouse
11-26-2014, 10:35 AM
Little-known fact: the Furman football team in my youth was the Purple Hurricane; AFAIK the basketball team has always been the Paladins.

Frank Selvy scored 100 points in a game against Newberry and was the nation's leading scorer in 1953 and 1954, averaging 41.7 as a senior, which appears to be an NCAA div. 1 record until eclipsed by Pistol Pete. Selvy played in the NBA, minus some time for military service, until 1964.

Darrell Floyd succeeded him at Furman and was also a two-time national scoring leader. Floyd never played in the NBA 'cuz the league couldn't match his salary selling heavy equipment; in fact, he never played in a single professional game, although I am sure he saw some court time while in the Army. The Paladins had four consecutive national scoring champions.

Given the hoops tradition, it is hard to understand how Furman basketball has suffered in recent years.

Clay Feet POF
11-26-2014, 11:51 AM
How many minutes does Semi get today.

Troublemaker
11-26-2014, 12:10 PM
Furman 39.5 - 105 Duke. Healthy 65 point spread. 145 total score.

What I'd like to see:

1) No injuries

2) That's about it...

I think you misread the line. Duke was 39.5 pt favorites and now 40.5 pt favorites.

Vegas is tired of losing money on Duke (we are 5-0 against the spread) and jacked this line up pretty high. Kenpom only projects a 29-pt win, for example.

I still think we cover both.

kAzE
11-26-2014, 12:13 PM
I'd like to see Grayson Allen do Grayson Allen things. He's a maniac and incredibly fun to watch.

DukeDevilDeb
11-26-2014, 12:22 PM
I'd like to see Grayson Allen do Grayson Allen things. He's a maniac and incredibly fun to watch.

Everyone talks about Grayson's freaky athleticism and shooting... he's a really good free throw shooter as well (he shot the technical shots in a recent game), but we are hardly getting a chance to see him. What gives? With everyone else's shooting gone south for awhile, wouldn't putting Grayson in give us a chance to raise that miserable shooting percentage? GO DEVILS!!!

BrazyATX
11-26-2014, 12:39 PM
What I want to see (in this order)

1. No Injuries
2. A Win
3. High assist/FGM
4. Improved FT shooting
5. Rest for the starters/more court time for all reserves
6. Sheed have a successful game to boost confidence
7. Dunk shots and trick dribbles

Kfanarmy
11-26-2014, 12:50 PM
I haven't seen too many weaknesses on this version of Duke BB to date. With their physical abilities, I think they could easily use their height, passing over, rebounding, and scoring on the inside against Furman, and Army in a couple of days. So what I'd like to see is an effort to work interior-exterior passing, and mid-range defense. Essentially use these games to work execution of aspects of the game that might be a bit more challenging.

kAzE
11-26-2014, 01:41 PM
Everyone talks about Grayson's freaky athleticism and shooting... he's a really good free throw shooter as well (he shot the technical shots in a recent game), but we are hardly getting a chance to see him. What gives? With everyone else's shooting gone south for awhile, wouldn't putting Grayson in give us a chance to raise that miserable shooting percentage? GO DEVILS!!!

I love Grayson, but he kind of has tunnel vision on offense (I don't have the exact stat, but I'm sure his usage is pretty high). He's just an extremely aggressive scorer with a ton of bounce and energy, which makes him really fun to watch, but I could easily imagine why he doesn't get more minutes in tighter games. His shooting numbers are probably inflated because he's really only gotten minutes against the bad teams we've played. That said, this will be a pretty overmatched opponent, so I hope we get to see lots of him.

NSDukeFan
11-26-2014, 03:54 PM
Me too. Honestly, if Amile can't knock down that elbow jumper or attack from that spot, it's just not going to be very effective to have him flash to the high post, unless the goal is just to move the ball in and then back out to the perimeter. Winslow was more effective in that spot against Stanford.

I hope Amile improves his jump shot enough that he can make the 12-18 footer consistently and add that as a weapon. That would be extremely valuable and make the team even more difficult to guard. However, if he doesn't, I still like him catching the ball at the top of the key/ high post. As long as he squares to the basket regularly and attacks if he is not being guarded, he can still be a weapon even if he is not shooting the jumper, IMO.

Troublemaker
11-26-2014, 04:26 PM
Amile would likely be further along in development of his midrange shot had he not injured his hip and spent all summer resting it. (I could be mistaken, but I don't think one can practice shooting with an injured hip.) Overall, can't complain about a relatively healthy offseason and healthy season so far, but that would be one regret.

-jk
11-26-2014, 05:12 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open.

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's take care of business! And, of course: Let's Go Duke!

-jk

cptnflash
11-26-2014, 05:20 PM
This is an unfair fight. I would like to see further stratification in college hoops, so that even top 10 teams never play a game that they have no chance of losing. I'm not sure how a game like this benefits us... it's basically a televised practice.

Kedsy
11-26-2014, 05:28 PM
With everyone else's shooting gone south for awhile, wouldn't putting Grayson in give us a chance to raise that miserable shooting percentage? GO DEVILS!!!

Well. that's the thing -- "everyone else's" shooting hasn't gone south. Basically, Tyus and Jahlil shot poorly in Brooklyn, and everyone else shot reasonably well, but Grayson can't really effectively replace either one of them. I guess Rasheed didn't shoot great, either (30%) but (a) his shooting percentage wasn't exactly "miserable"; and (b) it's probably more important to get Rasheed on track than to get Grayson more minutes.

Brockt10
11-26-2014, 05:37 PM
Look a little sloppy today but still dominant. Defense looks really good.

uh_no
11-26-2014, 05:40 PM
Look a little sloppy today.l but still dominant. Defense looks really good.

it ought to against the 311 best team in the country. not that i'm not happy it looks good....but it ought to look really good against a poor team, and if it didn't, then we'd be in trouble.

DukeDevil
11-26-2014, 05:42 PM
In my excitement over his hook shot, I think I came up with my personal cheer for Jahlil for the year...
"JAHLIL, FOR REAL"

Man this team is fun to watch.

I'd like to add...I am LOVING Rasheed's play this game. Passing off when needed for the assist, good movement without the ball, finishing when he's got the opening. Good decisions all around!

davekay1971
11-26-2014, 05:59 PM
Dominating a team we should dominate is certainly better than not dominating a team we should dominate.

In other news: wherever you go, there you are.