PDA

View Full Version : Don't believe the ad for vision improvement!

JStuart
11-24-2014, 02:40 PM
(Mods, please move or edit as you see fit)
I used to see a way to contact the board powers (Julio, Boswell), but can't find that option today.
But, if you can do something as to the choice of ads on the top of the SB Nation page, get rid of the 'vision improvement' log-winded presentation, being an ad for vitamin supplements.
It is incredibly false and misleading, implying that vitamins will help one get rid of glasses, which are harming your vision.
Total BS, and I can't count the number of fallacies and errors of logic.
When they mentioned the special use of Bilberry, I had to stop the presentation, mainly because that is total, WWII British propaganda, designed to confuse the Germans, and make them think that the British had better night vision than ordinary humans. They didn't want the Axis to suspect they had a better night bombing radar system, so they talked about how all the RAF bombardiers ate bilberry jam for breakfast, in order to have better night vision. Totally made up. It has never been proven to have any effect on vision.
Please drop this ad, as it is an insult to physicians in general, and ophthalmologists in particular. Plus, it is just plain wrong.
Thanks,
S. McCracken, M.D. Duke Med '76; Eye Center '81.

allenmurray
11-24-2014, 05:10 PM
(Mods, please move or edit as you see fit)
I used to see a way to contact the board powers (Julio, Boswell), but can't find that option today.
But, if you can do something as to the choice of ads on the top of the SB Nation page, get rid of the 'vision improvement' log-winded presentation, being an ad for vitamin supplements.
It is incredibly false and misleading, implying that vitamins will help one get rid of glasses, which are harming your vision.
Total BS, and I can't count the number of fallacies and errors of logic.
When they mentioned the special use of Bilberry, I had to stop the presentation, mainly because that is total, WWII British propaganda, designed to confuse the Germans, and make them think that the British had better night vision than ordinary humans. They didn't want the Axis to suspect they had a better night bombing radar system, so they talked about how all the RAF bombardiers ate bilberry jam for breakfast, in order to have better night vision. Totally made up. It has never been proven to have any effect on vision.
Please drop this ad, as it is an insult to physicians in general, and ophthalmologists in particular. Plus, it is just plain wrong.
Thanks,
S. McCracken, M.D. Duke Med '76; Eye Center '81.

But, but, but . . . we get money for running that ad!

rsvman
11-24-2014, 05:25 PM
Wait.....there are ads?!?

rocketeli
11-24-2014, 07:36 PM
the ads come thru SB. If you really don't like an ad--click the hell out of it. Everytime you do that an angel gets its wings and the advertiser has to pay money--ads like this often pay well. (BTW it's funny how un-transparent internet advertising is to a lot of users. Websites get paid (very little--only the hugest sites or ones that sell something else make more than a few hundred dollars a year) only when a viewer clicks on an ad. If you like a site click on the ads!)

weezie
11-24-2014, 07:45 PM
...If you really don't like an ad--click the hell out of it. Everytime you do that an angel gets its wings and the advertiser has to pay money--ads like this often pay well...

Ya mean even the online mba ad from that soup school down the road?
I'm ready!

budwom
11-25-2014, 09:33 AM
As Ralph Nader said four decades ago, advertising is largely institutionalized lying. Hard to argue with that.

devildeac
11-25-2014, 12:30 PM
As Ralph Nader said four decades ago, advertising is largely institutionalized lying. Hard to argue with that.

Could you use a little larger font size next time. Please. ;)