PDA

View Full Version : This Week in the ACC - 11/24-11/30

pfrduke
11-24-2014, 03:25 AM
This week was a bit of a mixed bag. Miami and Duke had by far the most successful weeks, following mid-week wins over power conference opponents with weekend conference tournament championships. FSU and Clemson had the worst go of it, with the Noles ending the week at 1-3 and Clemson doing Clemson things en route to losing two games to Big South opponents. Several other ACC squads fell from the ranks of the unbeaten.

This week gives the conference more chances for marquee wins and tournament victories. UNC has a very tough field ahead of it in Atlantis - a win would be impressive. Pitt has its work cut out for it in Maui, while Virginia looks to have a much easier go of things in the Barclays. Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech round out the tourney participants - neither is a favorite in their field but each has a shot at winning.

Here's what's on tap for the holiday week:

Monday starts with Clemson finishing off the Paradise Jam with the 5th place game and finishes with Pitt taking on Chaminade in Maui.

[93]Clemson vs. [82]LSU (4:00)
[3]Louisville hosts [293]Savannah State (7:00)
[107]Wake Forest hosts [319]Nicholls State (7:00)
[43]Pittsburgh vs. [NR]Chaminade in Lahaina (9:00)

Tuesday gives Miami a quick rematch against a Charlotte team it beat by about 20 to win the Charleston Classic. Pitt has second round action in Maui, Virginia Tech gets the Cancun Challenge started, and a few other teams host some Thanksgiving appetizers.

[6]Virginia hosts [331]Tennessee State (ESPN3, 7:00)
[20]Syracuse hosts [288]Loyola (MD) (ESPN3, 7:00)
[175]Virginia Tech vs. [67]Northern Iowa in Cancun (CBSSN, 7:00)
[81]Florida State hosts [334]Citadel (ESPN3, 7:00)
[19]Miami at [88]Charlotte (9:00)
[43]Pittsburgh v. [23]San Diego State/[51]Brigham Young (TBD)

Wednesday is finals in Cancun and Maui, plus opening round action in the Bahamas and all the rest of Tobacco Road hosting pre-Thanksgiving games.

[15]North Carolina vs. [53]Butler in Atlantis (12:00, ESPN2)
[2]Duke hosts [312]Furman (5:00, ESPNU)
[3]Louisville hosts [99]Cleveland State (7:00, ESPN3)
[44]Notre Dame hosts [351]Grambling (7:00, ESPN3)
[107]Wake Forest hosts [266]Mount St. Mary's (7:00, ESPN3)
[64]NC State hosts [50]Richmond (7:00, ESPN3)
[43]Pittsburgh vs. TBD - the prize here is Arizona
[175]Virginia Tech vs. [101]Northwestern/[248]Miami (OH) (TBD, CBSSN)

Thursday means Happy Thanksgiving! UNC and Georgia Tech celebrate by playing basketball (and Kennedy Meeks also celebrates by eating a Turducken)

[89]Georgia Tech vs. [115]Marquette in Orlando (8:30, ESPN2)
[15]North Carolina vs. [17]UCLA/[28]Oklahoma in Atlantis (TBD)

Friday has 9 ACC games for you to enjoy during leftovers.

[81]Florida State hosts [191]Charleston Southern (6:00, ESPN3)
[20]Syracuse hosts [145]Holy Cross (7:00, ESPN3)
[93]Clemson hosts [179]High Point (7:00, ESPN3)
[19]Miami hosts [291]South Alabama (7:00, ESPN3)
[64]North Carolina State hosts [75]Boise State (7:00, ESPN3)
[107]Wake Forest hosts [297]Delaware State (7:00, ESPN3)
[6]Virginia vs. [100]La Salle in Brooklyn (9:30)
[15]North Carolina v. TBD in Atlantis
[89]Georgia Tech v. [14]Michigan State/[199]Rider in Orlando (TBD)

Saturday crowns a champion in Brooklyn.

[44]Notre Dame hosts [322]Chicago State (2:00, ESPN3)
[6]Virginia vs. [84]Vanderbilt/[128]Rutgers in Brooklyn (TBD)

Sunday gives us the final round in Orlando and Duke and Virginia Tech getting some warm up action before the ACC/B1G challenge next week.

[2]Duke hosts [166]Army (12:00, ESPNU)
[175]Virginia Tech hosts [287]Morgan State (3:00, ESPN3)
[89]Georgia Tech vs. TBD in Orlando - Kansas is the prize here

ACC Non-Conference Record: 45-14
ACC Record vs. BCS:* 9-5
America East: 2-0
American Athletic: 3-0
Atlantic Sun: 2-0
Atlantic Ten: 3-3
Big 12: 0-1
Big East: 0-2
Big South: 3-2
B1G Ten: 3-0
Big West: 0-1
Colonial: 3-1
Conference USA: 2-0
MAAC: 3-1
MAC: 1-0
MEAC: 8-0
Mountain West: 2-0
Northeast: 1-0
Ohio Valley: 1-0
Pac-12: 1-1
Patriot: 1-0
SEC: 2-1
Southern: 1-0
Summit: 1-0
Sun Belt: 0-1
SWAC: 2-0

*as last year, both the AAC and the Big East are being counted as among the BCS conferences. And yes, BCS is now a completely outdated reference derived from an entirely separate sport, but it's handy shorthand.

Reilly
11-24-2014, 06:46 AM
Cool to see it all in one place. Thanks for the tremendous compilation.

Are the rankings from kenpom, sagarin, sports-reference, or something else?

Instead of using "BCS", does it work to list the conferences? Something like: ACC v. AAC/Big East/Big10/Big12/SEC/PAC12.

devildeac
11-24-2014, 08:48 AM
This week was a bit of a mixed bag. Miami and Duke had by far the most successful weeks, following mid-week wins over power conference opponents with weekend conference tournament championships. FSU and Clemson had the worst go of it, with the Noles ending the week at 1-3 and Clemson doing Clemson things en route to losing two games to Big South opponents. Several other ACC squads fell from the ranks of the unbeaten.

This week gives the conference more chances for marquee wins and tournament victories. UNC has a very tough field ahead of it in Atlantis - a win would be impressive. Pitt has its work cut out for it in Maui, while Virginia looks to have a much easier go of things in the Barclays. Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech round out the tourney participants - neither is a favorite in their field but each has a shot at winning.

Here's what's on tap for the holiday week:

Monday starts with Clemson finishing off the Paradise Jam with the 5th place game and finishes with Pitt taking on Chaminade in Maui.

[93]Clemson vs. [82]LSU (4:00)
[3]Louisville hosts [293]Savannah State (7:00)
[107]Wake Forest hosts [319]Nicholls State (7:00)
[43]Pittsburgh vs. [NR]Chaminade in Lahaina (9:00)

Tuesday gives Miami a quick rematch against a Charlotte team it beat by about 20 to win the Charleston Classic. Pitt has second round action in Maui, Virginia Tech gets the Cancun Challenge started, and a few other teams host some Thanksgiving appetizers.

[6]Virginia hosts [331]Tennessee State (ESPN3, 7:00)
[20]Syracuse hosts [288]Loyola (MD) (ESPN3, 7:00)
[175]Virginia Tech vs. [67]Northern Iowa in Cancun (CBSSN, 7:00)
[81]Florida State hosts [334]Citadel (ESPN3, 7:00)
[19]Miami at [88]Charlotte (9:00)
[43]Pittsburgh v. [23]San Diego State/[51]Brigham Young (TBD)

Wednesday is finals in Cancun and Maui, plus opening round action in the Bahamas and all the rest of Tobacco Road hosting pre-Thanksgiving games.

[15]North Carolina vs. [53]Butler in Atlantis (12:00, ESPN2)
[2]Duke hosts [312]Furman (5:00, ESPNU)
[3]Louisville hosts [99]Cleveland State (7:00, ESPN3)
[44]Notre Dame hosts [351]Grambling (7:00, ESPN3)
[107]Wake Forest hosts [266]Mount St. Mary's (7:00, ESPN3)
[64]NC State hosts [50]Richmond (7:00, ESPN3)
[43]Pittsburgh vs. TBD - the prize here is Arizona
[175]Virginia Tech vs. [101]Northwestern/[248]Miami (OH) (TBD, CBSSN)

Thursday means Happy Thanksgiving! UNC and Georgia Tech celebrate by playing basketball (and Kennedy Meeks also celebrates by eating a Turducken)

[89]Georgia Tech vs. [115]Marquette in Orlando (8:30, ESPN2)
[15]North Carolina vs. [17]UCLA/[28]Oklahoma in Atlantis (TBD)

Friday has 9 ACC games for you to enjoy during leftovers.

[81]Florida State hosts [191]Charleston Southern (6:00, ESPN3)
[20]Syracuse hosts [145]Holy Cross (7:00, ESPN3)
[93]Clemson hosts [179]High Point (7:00, ESPN3)
[19]Miami hosts [291]South Alabama (7:00, ESPN3)
[64]North Carolina State hosts [75]Boise State (7:00, ESPN3)
[107]Wake Forest hosts [297]Delaware State (7:00, ESPN3)
[6]Virginia vs. [100]La Salle in Brooklyn (9:30)
[15]North Carolina v. TBD in Atlantis
[89]Georgia Tech v. [14]Michigan State/[199]Rider in Orlando (TBD)

Saturday crowns a champion in Brooklyn.

[44]Notre Dame hosts [322]Chicago State (2:00, ESPN3)
[6]Virginia vs. [84]Vanderbilt/[128]Rutgers in Brooklyn (TBD)

Sunday gives us the final round in Orlando and Duke and Virginia Tech getting some warm up action before the ACC/B1G challenge next week.

[2]Duke hosts [166]Army (12:00, ESPNU)
[175]Virginia Tech hosts [287]Morgan State (3:00, ESPN3)
[89]Georgia Tech vs. TBD in Orlando - Kansas is the prize here

ACC Non-Conference Record: 45-14
ACC Record vs. BCS:* 9-5
America East: 2-0
American Athletic: 3-0
Atlantic Sun: 2-0
Atlantic Ten: 3-3
Big 12: 0-1
Big East: 0-2
Big South: 3-2
B1G Ten: 3-0
Big West: 0-1
Colonial: 3-1
Conference USA: 2-0
MAAC: 3-1
MAC: 1-0
MEAC: 8-0
Mountain West: 2-0
Northeast: 1-0
Ohio Valley: 1-0
Pac-12: 1-1
Patriot: 1-0
SEC: 2-1
Southern: 1-0
Summit: 1-0
Sun Belt: 0-1
SWAC: 2-0

*as last year, both the AAC and the Big East are being counted as among the BCS conferences. And yes, BCS is now a completely outdated reference derived from an entirely separate sport, but it's handy shorthand.

Thanks again for this.

Go Butler!

Duvall
11-24-2014, 07:41 PM
Uh-oh - Louisville looking to tie the "record" held by Duke (and others, I'm guessing) for fewest points allowed in a half.

ETA: Nope - Savannah State draws a shooting foul, and hits one of the FT. I knew they could do it.

pfrduke
11-25-2014, 01:59 PM
Cool to see it all in one place. Thanks for the tremendous compilation.

Are the rankings from kenpom, sagarin, sports-reference, or something else?

Instead of using "BCS", does it work to list the conferences? Something like: ACC v. AAC/Big East/Big10/Big12/SEC/PAC12.

All Pomeroy. Re the conferences, it's a fair suggestion. I'm honestly torn about what to do with the AAC. It currently ranks as the 9th(!) strongest conference per Pomeroy and UConn, Cincinnati, and South Florida are the only schools that were in a BCS conference two years ago - the rest is the Conference USA programs that had good enough football programs to make the move, and Temple. I'm not sure that including them is the best reference point. For example, the ACC's three wins against AAC opponents are Temple, South Florida, and Tulane, none of which are currently ranked in the top 120 teams (Temple is highest at 121). Last year with Louisville and Rutgers (which is no great shakes) and fewer CUSA teams it at least felt more like half of the old Big East. But now I think I'm going to take it off of the power conference list.

Reilly
11-26-2014, 08:30 AM
... I'm honestly torn about what to do with the AAC. It currently ranks as the 9th(!) strongest conference per Pomeroy ... I think I'm going to take it off of the power conference list.

Lefty had a good rant one time about "what is a mid-major?" and I agree with him. That is, there is no strict definition of it. Just as there is not one of a "power" conference. The formalist in me hates the not-strictly-defined terms.

In FBS, there are 128 teams -- all playing by the same rules, with the same number of scholarships. Yet there has always been an unofficial dividing line based on history and tradition between the Power 5 (ACC, SEC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12) and what is now the Group of Five (I think) and that unofficial line is now official-like with a New Year's Six bowl tie-in.

In hoops, so I guess something like the WAC is not a "power" conference, but those could be wins of tremendous quality over the years.

johnb
11-26-2014, 09:49 AM
Okay, so this probably belongs elsewhere, but the article came out this week, and it doesn't merit a new thread.

Scout took a crack at its all century ACC team. I almost clicked elsewhere when I saw that they picked Hansblaugh as its player of the century, but I did go ahead and look at the rest of the selections.

K was the coach. The first team included JJ, Jay Williams, Battier, and Shelden. Best freshman was Jabari. Second team included Scheyer and Singler. So I guess we weren't entirely disrespected...

http://collegebasketball.scout.com/story/1484529-scout-s-acc-all-century-team

sagegrouse
11-26-2014, 10:45 AM
Okay, so this probably belongs elsewhere, but the article came out this week, and it doesn't merit a new thread.

Scout took a crack at its all century ACC team. I almost clicked elsewhere when I saw that they picked Hansblaugh as its player of the century, but I did go ahead and look at the rest of the selections.

K was the coach. The first team included JJ, Jay Williams, Battier, and Shelden. Best freshman was Jabari. Second team included Scheyer and Singler. So I guess we weren't entirely disrespected...

http://collegebasketball.scout.com/story/1484529-scout-s-acc-all-century-team

Holy, moly! Four Devils on a five-man all-century team? In fact, the only player not from Duke or UNC was Juan Dixon. (Ty Lawson and Sean May were second team.) It seems like there must be some other deserving players.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-26-2014, 12:36 PM
Lunch break. Butler is giving UNC all they can handle.

Wander
11-26-2014, 12:48 PM
Holy, moly! Four Devils on a five-man all-century team? In fact, the only player not from Duke or UNC was Juan Dixon. (Ty Lawson and Sean May were second team.) It seems like there must be some other deserving players.

Well, it seems to be heavily favored towards 4 year players. Which is completely fine, but it causes things like Jon Scheyer > Chris Paul that you wouldn't normally find on these lists (sorry Jumbo).

sagegrouse
11-26-2014, 01:09 PM
Well, it seems to be heavily favored towards 4 year players. Which is completely fine, but it causes things like Jon Scheyer > Chris Paul that you wouldn't normally find on these lists (sorry Jumbo).

2000–01† Shane Battier* Duke
2000–01† Joseph Forte North Carolina
2001–02 Juan Dixon Maryland
2002–03 Josh Howard Wake Forest
2003–04 Julius Hodge NC State
2004–05 J. J. Redick Duke
2005–06 J. J. Redick* (2) Duke
2006–07 Jared Dudley Boston College
2007–08 Tyler Hansbrough* North Carolina
2008–09 Ty Lawson North Carolina
2009–10 Greivis Vasquez Maryland
2010–11 Nolan Smith Duke
2011–12 Tyler Zeller North Carolina
2012–13† Erick Green‡ Virginia Tech
2012–13† Shane Larkin₮ Miami (FL)
2013–14 T. J. Warren NC State

Hmmm... first-teamers who were not ACC POY: JWill (NPOY), Shelden.

OldPhiKap
11-26-2014, 02:23 PM
Cheaters never win, and winners never cheat. Nice win by Butler. Way to box out and shoot free throws, heels.

Olympic Fan
11-26-2014, 02:26 PM
Part of me wants to celebrate the loss by the cheating no-class, university (wonder if they trash the locker room in the Bahamas?). Plus, it will be fun to see who Ol' Roy throws under the bus.

But the part of me that is an ACC fan hates seeing this. It was great having four of the top eight teams in the polls.

Oh well, Miami is climbing.

Duvall
11-26-2014, 02:30 PM
Wow, it's almost like all those gaudy stats UNC compiled against tomato cans were basically meaningless. Funny, that.

AncientPsychicT
11-26-2014, 02:38 PM
Part of me wants to celebrate the loss by the cheating no-class, university (wonder if they trash the locker room in the Bahamas?). Plus, it will be fun to see who Ol' Roy throws under the bus.

But the part of me that is an ACC fan hates seeing this. It was great having four of the top eight teams in the polls.

3 of the top 7 is good enough for me. GTHC!

9F! 9F! 9F!

devildeac
11-26-2014, 03:01 PM

Reducing that number to 3 next week (or any week) is fine with me, as long as the team departing is the cheaters.

jv001
11-26-2014, 03:11 PM

Since my hating anything unc trumps rooting for the ACC, I'm glad they lost and my Thanksgiving is going to be that much better for it. GoDuke!

jv001
11-26-2014, 03:12 PM
I can't wait for Wheat to tell us about Carolina's great front court and how they gave up so many offensive rebounds. GoDuke!

Olympic Fan
11-27-2014, 11:11 PM
Great win for Wojo at Marquette.

A Marquette team that lost at home to Omaha and had to rally to beat NJIT in overtime (at home), just beat undefeated Georgia Tech in Orlando ... helped a bit my a mindless play by Georges-Hunt. Marquette is up three with under five seconds left when Georges-Hunt drives and hits a short scoop shot with 1.6 seconds left. The replay showed two wide-open shooters posted at the three-point line, but he ignored them and got the meaningless two. That essentially ended the game, although Marquette hit a free throw to make the final 72-70.

Also following UAB-Florida -- the winner gets UNC tomorrow. The Heels could end up playing two ranked teams in the loser's bracket (UCLA and Florida).

devildeac
11-27-2014, 11:17 PM
Great win for Wojo at Marquette.

A Marquette team that lost at home to Omaha and had to rally to beat NJIT in overtime (at home), just beat undefeated Georgia Tech in Orlando ... helped a bit my a mindless play by Georges-Hunt. Marquette is up three with under five seconds left when Georges-Hunt drives and hits a short scoop shot with 1.6 seconds left. The replay showed two wide-open shooters posted at the three-point line, but he ignored them and got the meaningless two. That essentially ended the game, although Marquette hit a free throw to make the final 72-70.

Also following UAB-Florida -- the winner gets UNC tomorrow. The Heels could end up playing two ranked teams in the loser's bracket (UCLA and Florida).

Now that's great grammatical organization with h**ls and loser's bracket in the same sentence;).

Wander
11-27-2014, 11:18 PM
A Marquette team that lost at home to Omaha and had to rally to beat NJIT in overtime (at home)

Wait, Marquette did what?! My god they're going to get crushed in the Big East (which looks surprisingly good so far).

OldPhiKap
11-28-2014, 05:42 PM
Not sure where to put this, but in former conference news -- Maryland's Dez Wells broke his wrist and had surgery. Out four weeks +/-.

I always liked his game, in spite of the Twerp fans. Hoping for a full recovery.

Olympic Fan
11-29-2014, 12:21 AM
The ACC went 8-1 Friday, but it wasn't all that impressive for the league.

First, Wake Forest gave the league another bad home loss, losing to Delaware State in Winston-Salem.

Clemson, which had been playing better, barely edged High Point by three at home and NC State edged Boise State at home (a six-point win, but it was two points with just over 30 seconds left).

Virginia choked away most of a big lead against LaSalle before winning by eight in Brooklyn.

I guess UNC-Cheat did okay, dominating Florida to finish 5th in the Bahamas. And both Miami and Syracuse rolled to easy wins over lightweight opposition. It wasn't all that impressive, but Georgia Tech bounced back from their Marquette loss to beat Rider.

All in all, a pretty blah day for ACC hoops.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-29-2014, 11:50 AM
The ACC went 8-1 Friday, but it wasn't all that impressive for the league.

First, Wake Forest gave the league another bad home loss, losing to Delaware State in Winston-Salem.

Clemson, which had been playing better, barely edged High Point by three at home and NC State edged Boise State at home (a six-point win, but it was two points with just over 30 seconds left).

Virginia choked away most of a big lead against LaSalle before winning by eight in Brooklyn.

I guess UNC-Cheat did okay, dominating Florida to finish 5th in the Bahamas. And both Miami and Syracuse rolled to easy wins over lightweight opposition. It wasn't all that impressive, but Georgia Tech bounced back from their Marquette loss to beat Rider.

All in all, a pretty blah day for ACC hoops.

I am impressed that UNC bounced back as well as they did after the Butler did it. They have so much height and length on their wings. If they can keep crashing the boards and make crisper passes, they will win a bunch of games this year.

Wheat/"/"/"
11-30-2014, 09:22 AM
Here's a link to a replay of the UNC/Florida game (http://noonkick.se/2014-11-28-florida-vs-north-carolina/) if anybody is interested.

davekay1971
11-30-2014, 09:37 AM
Here's a link to a replay of the UNC/Florida game (http://noonkick.se/2014-11-28-florida-vs-north-carolina/) if anybody is interested.

No, but thank you for supplying the link! Do you have a link for the UNC-NC State football game from yesterday? I could watch that one over and over and over again!

Duvall
11-30-2014, 09:40 AM
noonkick.se?

sagegrouse
11-30-2014, 09:42 AM
No, but thank you for supplying the link! Do you have a link for the UNC-NC State football game from yesterday? I could watch that one over and over and over again!

You know how it goes in football. Sometimes the team is all fired up in the locker room, but doesn't show up on the field. In UNC's case it was the locker room at Wally Wade.

Wheat/"/"/"
11-30-2014, 09:43 AM
noonkick.se?

Never heard of it either, but I watched it on my iPad with no problems.

davekay1971
11-30-2014, 10:00 AM
You know how it goes in football. Sometimes the team is all fired up in the locker room, but doesn't show up on the field. In UNC's case it was the locker room at Wally Wade.

I guess it's a weird kind of compliment that they were still so high from beating us that they couldn't get down to business against State. That being said, while it was fun watching State annihilate UNC yesterday, it was frustrating trying to reconcile the sorry listless group of Tar Heels that played yesterday against the world beaters that kicked our butts last week.

Reminiscent, and not in a good way, of every team that plays the game of their lives against the Duke BBall team only to crash back to earth and get smoked in their next game.

sagegrouse
11-30-2014, 10:02 AM
I guess it's a weird kind of compliment that they were still so high from beating us that they couldn't get down to business against State. That being said, while it was fun watching State annihilate UNC yesterday, it was frustrating trying to reconcile the sorry listless group of Tar Heels that played yesterday against the world beaters that kicked our butts last week.

Reminiscent, and not in a good way, of every team that plays the game of their lives against the Duke BBall team only to crash back to earth and get smoked in their next game.

Mebbe it's God's reward to Pack Pride for exposing the corruption on the Hill.

devildeac
11-30-2014, 12:51 PM

I'll bet they were still "hungover"/affected by all the paint fumes:rolleyes::p.