PDA

View Full Version : WBB: Duke 82, Marquette 51

burnspbesq
11-23-2014, 04:33 PM
Game of runs. Marquette led 8-4 early, before Duke went on a 28-4 run, and led by 22 at the half. Marquette cut the lead to 12 a couple of times in the second half, but the Blue Devils had an 18-0 run to end the game.

Things to like: (1) double-doubles for Greenwell and Stevens; (2) defense was decent overall (Marquette shot 28 percent, including 9-39 from three); (3) 20 assists on 30 FG.

Things to not like: Duke's defense had a really hard time finding Marquette's Arlesia Morse in the second half; she hit five threes, most of which were not contested (P commented at length on that in the postgame presser). Marquette somehow managed ten offensive rebounds, although overall Duke was plus-22 on the glass. Slow recovery to the corners; Marquette had a disturbing number of open looks for three.

As with the ODU game, not fully satisfying. Lot of work to be done, and not a lot of time to do it. We play three ranked teams in a row (including two of the top five) beginning next Sunday, and two more (including UConn) over the holidays. At our current level of play we could lose all five of those games.

jimsumner
11-23-2014, 10:12 PM
I'm not anywhere this pessimistic. No question Duke has a tough early schedule. And this is a young team. Only Williams and Johnson have any real experience at the D-1 level and Johnson is learning a new position. Lots of new faces, lots of lineup experimentation, hopefully lots of growing and improving.

But lots of talent.

So, I'm looking forward to seeing how ready they are.

BTW, if folks haven't seen Azura Stevens yet, you're in for something. She's 6-5 and can play the 2, 3 or 4. She's a matchup nightmare. She's either too big or too quick for anyone trying to guard her, sometimes both. She was 8-9 today, with 10 rebounds, in 18 minutes off the bench. Not too shabby.

And put her at the end of a 1-2-2 or 1-3-1 zone and dare folks to throw over her.

And Greenwell is a keeper. We knew she was skilled. But she's tough as nails.

At one point today Duke had 6-1 Greenwell, 6-0 freshman Sierra Calhoun and three post players. When was the last time you saw a women's team with a lineup whose smallest player was 6-0?

killerleft
11-24-2014, 12:02 AM
I'm not anywhere this pessimistic. No question Duke has a tough early schedule. And this is a young team. Only Williams and Johnson have any real experience at the D-1 level and Johnson is learning a new position. Lots of new faces, lots of lineup experimentation, hopefully lots of growing and improving.

But lots of talent.

So, I'm looking forward to seeing how ready they are.

BTW, if folks haven't seen Azura Stevens yet, you're in for something. She's 6-5 and can play the 2, 3 or 4. She's a matchup nightmare. She's either too big or too quick for anyone trying to guard her, sometimes both. She was 8-9 today, with 10 rebounds, in 18 minutes off the bench. Not too shabby.

And put her at the end of a 1-2-2 or 1-3-1 zone and dare folks to throw over her.

And Greenwell is a keeper. We knew she was skilled. But she's tough as nails.

At one point today Duke had 6-1 Greenwell, 6-0 freshman Sierra Calhoun and three post players. When was the last time you saw a women's team with a lineup whose smallest player was 6-0?

As soon as I saw an Azura Stevens high school highlight reel when we signed her, I have been eagerly awaiting her debut. So graceful for her height, fine skills already there. But it's the potential that reaches out and slaps you.

Watching this team develop could be very rewarding if we'll be patient.

Mike Corey
11-24-2014, 12:25 AM
Congrats to the Blue Devils on a great start to the season. Looking forward to seeing Ms. Stevens and her teammates play sometime soon.