PDA

View Full Version : Jahzilla

huey
11-23-2014, 10:55 AM
Anyone else immediately fall in love with "The Dancing Bear" nickname for Jahlil on the frontpage's article? I think it fits perfectly for our nimble big man. Seems that Draymond Green sported the nickname while a pudgy freshman at Michigan State but most r/nba user's will recognize him by another big nickname nowadays. Only other sports star with that nickname I could find in a brief search was Ron McDole, a DE in the NFL in the 60's and 70's who got his nickname for his off the field dance moves at a local club. Still feel it's a great nickname, maybe not based on any alliteration, but based on great imagery of Jahlil's on court performance.
So can we get the committee to agree on Jahlil "The Dancing Bear" Okafor after what he's shown so far this season?

moonpie23
11-23-2014, 11:14 AM
Anyone else immediately fall in love with "The Dancing Bear" nickname for Jahlil on the frontpage's article? I think it fits perfectly for our nimble big man. Seems that Draymond Green sported the nickname while a pudgy freshman at Michigan State but most r/nba user's will recognize him by another big nickname nowadays. Only other sports star with that nickname I could find in a brief search was Ron McDole, a DE in the NFL in the 60's and 70's who got his nickname for his off the field dance moves at a local club. Still feel it's a great nickname, maybe not based on any alliteration, but based on great imagery of Jahlil's on court performance.
So can we get the committee to agree on Jahlil "The Dancing Bear" Okafor after what he's shown so far this season?

no.....

Furniture
11-23-2014, 11:15 AM
no.....

I couldn't do it either. Sorry.

Dukehky
11-23-2014, 11:16 AM

I'm pretty sure that nickname has a different meaning in other parts of the internet. So I'm gonna say no thanks to that one.

Papa John
11-23-2014, 11:17 AM

That depends... Is Jahlil a Deadhead?

Edouble
11-23-2014, 11:30 AM
"Fetch" isn't happening. Neither is "The Dancing Bear".

DukeDevil
11-23-2014, 12:02 PM

BD80
11-23-2014, 12:07 PM
Hell no

slower
11-23-2014, 12:37 PM
Honestly, it would be great if nobody on here ever tried to create another nickname, because they are almost always terrible.

OldPhiKap
11-23-2014, 12:41 PM

hudlow
11-23-2014, 02:12 PM
I think "Oak" has a nice ring to it....

DukeFanSince1990
11-23-2014, 02:25 PM

There we go. The dancing bear seems...........silly..........IMHO.

Edouble
11-23-2014, 02:40 PM
I've actually taken to calling Jahlil Okafor, "Jah". After watching every presser and postgame interview on GoDuke, and hearing Coach K and all the guys on the team call him "Jah", now I have started to do it.

Anyone else calling him Jah now?

77devil
11-23-2014, 02:51 PM
What a long, strange trip it's been.

Duvall
11-23-2014, 02:54 PM
Ban nickname threads. For the board, and for America.

slower
11-23-2014, 02:56 PM
Ban nickname threads. For the board, and for America.

For the love of God, do it for the children!:p

brevity
11-23-2014, 03:25 PM
Anyone else immediately fall in love with "The Dancing Bear" nickname for Jahlil on the frontpage's article?

There are so many things wrong with DBR brass or its members trying out this nickname. But I'll just focus on one.

A dancing bear is a performing animal. (We're not talking about something safely anthropomorphic, like an animated Baloo from The Jungle Book.) Audiences may appreciate or even love a performing animal, but that enjoyment is carefully extracted from all logic and consideration about what the animal's life must be like. The performance only works if the audience thinks of the animal as existing solely for their amusement. Also, performing animals are the property of entertainment companies, indistinct and replaceable.

I am pretty far from being an animal rights activist, but I see no sense in comparing a human athlete to a performing animal. Personally, I have a hard time with most animal comparisons in sports talk, and even cringe a little when someone positively refers to a player as a beast. I know I'm in the minority on this, and maybe I'll get used to its common practice. I have learned to tolerate nicknames that reflect only an animalistic attitude, like Black Mamba or Honey Badger.

But Dancing Bear? Come on already. Shut the thread down, mods.

huey
11-23-2014, 03:32 PM
So does anyone else think we should limit our rotation this year?

Might as well try another popular opinion while I'm at it.

Edouble
11-23-2014, 03:53 PM
There are so many things wrong with DBR brass or its members trying out this nickname. But I'll just focus on one.

A dancing bear is a performing animal. (We're not talking about something safely anthropomorphic, like an animated Baloo from The Jungle Book.) Audiences may appreciate or even love a performing animal, but that enjoyment is carefully extracted from all logic and consideration about what the animal's life must be like. The performance only works if the audience thinks of the animal as existing solely for their amusement. Also, performing animals are the property of entertainment companies, indistinct and replaceable.

I am pretty far from being an animal rights activist, but I see no sense in comparing a human athlete to a performing animal. Personally, I have a hard time with most animal comparisons in sports talk, and even cringe a little when someone positively refers to a player as a beast. I know I'm in the minority on this, and maybe I'll get used to its common practice. I have learned to tolerate nicknames that reflect only an animalistic attitude, like Black Mamba or Honey Badger.

But Dancing Bear? Come on already. Shut the thread down, mods.

I actually share this opinion. I shuttered when Dick Vitale referred to Andrew Wiggins as a "thoroughbred" last season. Perhaps, being from the South and knowing our history, I am more sensitive to that kind of talk.

Furniture
11-23-2014, 04:11 PM

I am calling him Oak!

Indoor66
11-23-2014, 04:31 PM
I'll stick to Jahlil. If it was good enough for his mother and all that....

uh_no
11-23-2014, 04:43 PM
So does anyone else think we should limit our rotation this year?

Might as well try another popular opinion while I'm at it.

oh man...unless we play everyone 20 minutes a game, they're going to transfer!

BD80
11-23-2014, 05:11 PM
"Remember the 5 D’s: Dodge, Duck, Dip, Dive, and Dodge."

-- Patches O'Houlihan, UNC Compliance Director

But Patches died years ago. How could he be unc's current Compliance Director?

Ohhhhh.

weezie
11-23-2014, 05:23 PM
Yikes no. It stinks.

DukeDevil
11-23-2014, 06:01 PM

I was going by Jah...but I think Oak just took over...

theAlaskanBear
11-23-2014, 06:16 PM
As a bonafide khan of the ferocious family Ursidae, I want to put all this nickname foolishness to rest by putting out enough terrible nicknames that no ones wants to touch the topic again.

"Jahbig"
"Lil-oak"
"the Oak Stroke"
"B2B (back-tothe-basket)"
"Captain Hookshot"
"take-it-to-the-bank"
"Oka-forte"
"chicagokafor"
"windy city whippersnapper"
"Jah-Rules"
"Chicagohouse Jahrules"
"The Lil Fundamental"
"Jahthrill Okafor"

Are we done yet?

left_hook_lacey
11-23-2014, 06:18 PM
I hate the idea of setting out to delibrately give someone a nickname. It's almost as lame as when someone gives him/herself a nickname. Besides, I thought I read somewhere that Kennedy Meeks at "The buildings formally known as a university" down the road was called dancing bear. Maybe it didn't stick or something, but I remember thinking it was a terrible nickname then. I haven't changed my mind.

uh_no
11-23-2014, 06:33 PM
As a bonafide khan of the ferocious family Ursidae, I want to put all this nickname foolishness to rest by putting out enough terrible nicknames that no ones wants to touch the topic again.

"Jahbig"
"Lil-oak"
"the Oak Stroke"
"Captain Hookshot"
"take-it-to-the-bank"
"Oka-forte"
"chicagokafor"
"Jah-Rules"
"Chicagohouse Jahrules"
"The Lil Fundamental"
"Jahthrill Okafor"

Are we done yet?

i humbly submit:

oka-thor

left_hook_lacey
11-23-2014, 07:03 PM
I hate the idea of setting out to deliberately give someone a nickname. It's almost as lame as when someone gives him/herself a nickname. Besides, I thought I read somewhere that Kennedy Meeks at "The buildings formally known as a university" down the road was called dancing bear. Maybe it didn't stick or something, but I remember thinking it was a terrible nickname then. I haven't changed my mind.

Edouble
11-23-2014, 07:04 PM
I hate the idea of setting out to delibrately give someone a nickname. It's almost as lame as when someone gives him/herself a nickname. Besides, I thought I read somewhere that Kennedy Meeks at "The buildings formally known as a university" down the road was called dancing bear. Maybe it didn't stick or something, but I remember thinking it was a terrible nickname then. I haven't changed my mind.

No, you're confused. I think you read that Kennedy Meeks ate a dancing bear.

left_hook_lacey
11-23-2014, 07:18 PM
I'll stick to Jahlil. If it was good enough for his mother and all that....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sTz4I_hPm78

pamtar
11-23-2014, 07:25 PM

I was going by Jah...but I think Oak just took over...

Yeah, they've been calling him Big Oak on the college bb subreddit. It fits perfectly. Especially if he eats a lot of shrimp burgers!

elvis14
11-23-2014, 07:28 PM
Yeah, they've been calling him Big Oak on the college bb subreddit. It fits perfectly. Especially if he eats a lot of shrimp burgers!

Hell no to the the dancing bear nickname. I thought his nickname (or twitter handle) was Big Jah

wilko
11-23-2014, 07:45 PM
Down with the Dead... But no to Bears.
Steal your face - you could convince me..

Clearly he's a friend of the devil

OldPhiKap
11-23-2014, 07:52 PM

Driving that lane
Dishing out pain
Oakafor you better
Watch that feed . . . .

devildeac
11-23-2014, 08:24 PM

...is a friend of mine.

wilko
11-23-2014, 08:25 PM
Driving that lane
Dishing out pain
Oakafor you better
Watch that feed . . . .

I can tell your future
Look what's in your hand
But I can't stop for nothing
I'm just playing in the band

Man I miss the Dead...

FireOgilvie
11-23-2014, 08:47 PM

OldPhiKap
11-23-2014, 08:58 PM

Wheat/"/"/"
11-23-2014, 09:18 PM
No, you're confused. I think you read that Kennedy Meeks ate a dancing bear.

You might want to let a slim sleeping Meeks lie...:)

Okafor (28.2 mpg)
15.8 ppg
8.0 reb
1.6 blk
1.8 ast
1.0 stl
2.6 TOs
60.0 FG%
53.8 FT%

Meeks (21.7 mpg)
16.7 ppg
11 reb
1.3 blk
1.3 ast
1.0 stl
0.7 TOs
63.3 FG%
60.0 FT%

devildeac
11-23-2014, 09:19 PM
Oakafor:

Looks to be at least 6'11" and 270 pounds to my eyes;).

Duvall
11-23-2014, 09:27 PM
You might want to let a slim sleeping Meeks lie...:)

Okafor (28.2 mpg)
15.8 ppg
8.0 reb
1.6 blk
1.8 ast
1.0 stl
2.6 TOs
60.0 FG%
53.8 FT%

Meeks (21.7 mpg)
16.7 ppg
11 reb
1.3 blk
1.3 ast
1.0 stl
0.7 TOs
63.3 FG%
60.0 FT%

UNC's season has started? I thought they were still playing exhibition games.

Henderson
11-23-2014, 09:31 PM
There are so many things wrong with DBR brass or its members trying out this nickname.

Actually it was Nate James who referred to Jah as a "dancing bear" back in September. Linky. (http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/x950251499/Blue-Devils-work-without-Krzyzewski)

In the same interview, he referred to Grayson Allen as a pit bull.

devildeac
11-23-2014, 09:34 PM
At least no one has mentioned any onyx-hued species of raptor in the genus Falco . Yet. Until now. :o

Wheat/"/"/"
11-23-2014, 09:35 PM
UNC's season has started? I thought they were still playing exhibition games.

Just funnin' EDouble...I'm not a big stats guy.

Meeks is looking good though....

Henderson
11-23-2014, 09:41 PM
At least no one has mentioned any onyx-hued species of raptor in the genus Falco . Yet. Until now. :o

Which reminds me: I think The Little White Raven is the only Duke player yet to score this season, no?

Most of these nicknames seem pretty forced.

Henderson
11-23-2014, 09:42 PM

Not to the cheeseburger.

devildeac
11-23-2014, 09:58 PM
Which reminds me: I think The Little White Raven is the only Duke player yet to score this season, no?

Most of these nicknames seem pretty forced.

That is correct about Sean Kelly.

77devil
11-23-2014, 10:36 PM

Nobody cares. UNC has played 3 patsies at home.

wilko
11-23-2014, 11:04 PM

Edouble
11-24-2014, 12:23 AM

Jah-Jah Dunks?

ricks68
11-24-2014, 01:45 AM
Just call him what his teammates call him------whatever that is. Enough is enough. Seriously. :(

(Unless we all want to continue with the puns of course.:) There have been some very good ones, as always.)

ricks

OldPhiKap
11-24-2014, 07:13 AM
Y'know what comes after Oakafor?

Pikafor!

(OK, I'm self-reporting after that one)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-24-2014, 07:59 AM
Not to the cheeseburger.

Heaven forbid I defend Wheat (just kidding) but I have been saying since early last year that Meeks is the real deal. He lacks Oak's physicality (so far) but has similar court vision and ball-handlig skills.

He is not Sean May - I would ridicule him at your own risk. He may well br the difference between a good UNC team and a really good one.

OldPhiKap
11-24-2014, 08:41 AM
Heaven forbid I defend Wheat (just kidding) but I have been saying since early last year that Meeks is the real deal. He lacks Oak's physicality (so far) but has similar court vision and ball-handlig skills.

He is not Sean May - I would ridicule him at your own risk. He may well br the difference between a good UNC team and a really good one.

Meeks is solid -- and I don't mean that in the joking way. (Okay, I mean it both ways). But the kid is a very good player and will have a good career at UNLV-CH.

weezie
11-24-2014, 08:58 AM
Just call him what his teammates call him------whatever that is. Enough is enough. Seriously. :(

(Unless we all want to continue with the puns of course.:) There have been some very good ones, as always.)

ricks

ricks is right.

How about we punters just address him as Mr. Okafur?

Wheat/"/"/"
11-24-2014, 09:02 AM
Nobody cares. UNC has played 3 patsies at home.

davekay1971
11-24-2014, 09:05 AM

Patti Labelle has NOT aged well

grad_devil
11-24-2014, 09:16 AM

So...many..jokes....must...resist...temptation.... ..ARRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!

<thunk>

Wheat/"/"/"
11-24-2014, 09:18 AM
Patti Labelle has NOT aged well

Here's one last image for Mr. 77devil to try to get out of his head as he lays his body down to sleep tonight....:)

duke blue brewcrew
11-24-2014, 09:28 AM

"Jahbig"
"Lil-oak"
"the Oak Stroke"
"Captain Hookshot"
"take-it-to-the-bank"
"Oka-forte"
"chicagokafor"
"Jah-Rules"
"Chicagohouse Jahrules"
"The Lil Fundamental"
"Jahthrill Okafor"

Are we done yet?

My new favorite is the Windy City Whippersnapper...thanks for putting that one out there! Big Jah is how I casually refer to him. Chief Justice is my other favorite, but that's a different thread I would assume.

grad_devil
11-24-2014, 09:35 AM

Here's one last image for Mr. 77devil to try to get out of his head as he lays his body down to sleep tonight....:)

Oddly reminiscent, no?

devildeac
11-24-2014, 09:53 AM

WTH? No banana costume/suit?

devildeac
11-24-2014, 09:55 AM

Oddly reminiscent, no?

Headed for the Zofran now.

dragoneye776
11-24-2014, 10:26 AM
Arghhh the front page article called him the Dancing Bear again. Can we please stop that already?

ACCBBallFan
11-24-2014, 10:31 AM
In the plural, Dancing Bears is a term befitting two super heavy weights in the sport of wrestling.

I will stick with big Jah

77devil
11-24-2014, 10:34 AM
Didn't see it until today, but I assure you the picture below is the only UNC image I go to sleep to, in particular items 1 and 5. Sleep well Wheat.

DukeFanSince1990
11-27-2014, 10:24 AM
Just heard Amile Jefferson call him "Jahzilla". I think this is over.

moonpie23
11-27-2014, 12:38 PM
ding ding ding ding.....we have a WINNAH!!!!!!

jacone21
11-27-2014, 11:03 PM
Oh no! They say he's got to go.
Go go Jahzilla!
Yeaaah
Oh no! There goes Tokoto!
Go go Jahzilla!
Yeaaah

OldPhiKap
11-27-2014, 11:14 PM
Oh no! They say he's got to go.
Go go Jahzilla!
Yeaaah
Oh no! There goes Tokoto!
Go go Jahzilla!
Yeaaah

With a purposeful grimace and a terrible sound
He pulls those loose rebounds down
Helpless players standing under the rim
Scream bug-eyed as he dunks hard on them
He picks up the ball and he throws it back down
As he rums down the lane and he throws it on down
Oh no, they say he's a sure pro
Go, go Jahzilla
Weeeee, ooh ohh
Oh no, there goes Tokoto
Go, go Jahzilla
Weeeee, ooh ohh

captmojo
11-28-2014, 11:36 AM
Beats the Heaven out of Conan's Masturbating Bear.
Also, we should hope the defenses he faces, are all kept out of step.

captmojo
11-28-2014, 11:40 AM
Didn't see it until today, but I assure you the picture below is the only UNC image I go to sleep to, in particular items 1 and 5. Sleep well Wheat.

How convenient that there are 18 points listed. One for each year. What a coincedink!