PDA

View Full Version : Justise Winslow

wcepstein
11-21-2014, 08:33 AM
Is anyone else reminded of Vince Carter when they see the athleticism and explosiveness of Justice?

flyingdutchdevil
11-21-2014, 08:43 AM
Is anyone else reminded of Vince Carter when they see the athleticism and explosiveness of Justice?

This thread reminds me of Sheldon Williams, JJ Reddick, Tyler Thorton, Quin Cook, Josh Harrison, and Greg Zoubek, amongst others.

mgtr
11-21-2014, 08:58 AM
Well played, FDD. I can't wait until Alan Grayson gets more PT! ;)

flyingdutchdevil
11-21-2014, 09:05 AM
Well played, FDD. I can't wait until Alan Grayson gets more PT! ;)

My favorite moment came in our game against Fairfield. The announcer (forgot who) said, "Grayson Allen shoots the three...excuse me, I meant Alan Grayson". I couldn't stop laughing.

In the announcers defense, there are a lot of new names to remember, and Grayson Allen does have one of those rare names that does sound "Last-Name First-Name".

Edouble
11-21-2014, 09:07 AM
My favorite moment came in our game against Fairfield. The announcer (forgot who) said, "Grayson Allen shoots the three...excuse me, I meant Alan Grayson". I couldn't stop laughing.

In the announcers defense, there are a lot of new names to remember, and Grayson Allen does have one of those rare names that does sound "Last-Name First-Name".

It was Doris Burke. I roooooooolled my eyes at that one.

sagegrouse
11-21-2014, 09:11 AM

Doris Burke fumbled that one, but so have I on this Board.

flyingdutchdevil
11-21-2014, 09:16 AM
Doris Burke fumbled that one, but so have I on this Board.

When Big Bang Theory was novel and entertaining (first couple of years), I went through a spell (pun intended) of writing "Sheldon Williams".

We all make grammatically mistakes, but Justice Winslow is really taking the cake.

weezie
11-21-2014, 09:17 AM
Yep, well we fumbled far, far, far more of our share last night in Wade. Justise is superb and I'll bet he'd actually be pleased to be mentioned with Vince Carter, one of the least objectionable hole players I've ever watched.

BD80
11-21-2014, 09:28 AM
... Justise is superb and I'll bet he'd actually be pleased to be mentioned with Vince Carter, one of the least objectionable hole players I've ever watched.

Perhaps the last heel player to take pride in a college education

superdave
11-21-2014, 09:41 AM

Hmmmmm. Is Vince Carter a good comp? Or maybe Michael Kidd-Gilchrist? I need to see a few more games.

I think Carter was a bit of a pretty boy on the court. He didnt do much of the dirty work and avoided contact. He probably had a better shot in college than Winslow. That is why I brought up MKG - does a little of everything, great motor, still a bit raw. That could describe Winslow too.

Reisen
11-21-2014, 09:42 AM
Looks like he got it right in the title. Or did a mod change that?

HaveFunExpectToWin
11-21-2014, 09:44 AM
Yep, well we fumbled far, far, far more of our share last night in Wade. Justise is superb and I'll bet he'd actually be pleased to be mentioned with Vince Carter, one of the least objectionable hole players I've ever watched.

I love what I see so far in Winslow, but I don't think we'll ever see something like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAkDunfhiCI

I disliked Carter while at UNC, but somewhere in his 17 years in the NBA he began to grow on me.

flyingdutchdevil
11-21-2014, 10:16 AM
Hmmmmm. Is Vince Carter a good comp? Or maybe Michael Kidd-Gilchrist? I need to see a few more games.

I think Carter was a bit of a pretty boy on the court. He didnt do much of the dirty work and avoided contact. He probably had a better shot in college than Winslow. That is why I brought up MKG - does a little of everything, great motor, still a bit raw. That could describe Winslow too.

I don't really like the MKG reference. In five games, Winslow has already proven that he can shoot the ball better than MKG ever could. MKG's leadership is much better than Winslow, but that may be a product of Winslow not being asked to lead. MKG is more of the ideal glue guy while Winslow is a Swiss Army Knife (Amile, to me, is a bigger glue guy than Winslow).

Carter makes sense: same height, similar weight, insane athleticism...Carter is arguably a better shooter and Winslow a better defender.

Winslow is like a homeless man's Lebron to me: he can do everything - passing, rebounding, shooting, driving, defense, fast breaks, put backs - just not as well as Lebron.

Dev11
11-21-2014, 10:23 AM
Winslow is like a homeless man's Lebron to me: he can do everything - passing, rebounding, shooting, driving, defense, fast breaks, put backs - just not as well as Lebron.

Reading the Eamonn Brennan piece the other day, I was thinking that he was just describing a player like Lebron, if Lebron was just an ordinary athletic monster instead of a Monstar. Justise seems to have skills in all facets of the game.

Henderson
11-21-2014, 10:35 AM
Winslow doesn't remind me of Vince Carter as much as he reminds me of an aircraft carrier. You could land a jet on his shoulders.

Here's what it looks like to have Winslow and his team mates bearing down on you on the break:

superdave
11-21-2014, 11:00 AM
I don't really like the MKG reference. In five games, Winslow has already proven that he can shoot the ball better than MKG ever could. MKG's leadership is much better than Winslow, but that may be a product of Winslow not being asked to lead. MKG is more of the ideal glue guy while Winslow is a Swiss Army Knife (Amile, to me, is a bigger glue guy than Winslow).

Carter makes sense: same height, similar weight, insane athleticism...Carter is arguably a better shooter and Winslow a better defender.

Vince was a 3 who was dying to be a 2 because he was soft. Winslow has no issues with that.

Do we dare put Winslow in the same discussion of freakish athletic ability as Carter? I do not see it. Or I have not seen it yet. Carter is on a level with Jordan, Dominique and a couple of others.

TheDuckStore
11-21-2014, 11:19 AM

I'm not sure he compares with Carter... when I look at Winslow, I think of DeMarcus Nelson with the body to match his skill set. DeMarcus was 2-3 inches away from a long NBA career.

jipops
11-21-2014, 11:23 AM

Nope, not one bit.

Carter was pretty much a freak athlete above the rim with a very long wingspan. Winslow is very explosive, but athletically not unlike many other players out there right now.

I remember reading some things in the past about Dean being a little frustrated with Vince at times, mostly due to his lack of commitment to defense and up and down focus. Could have been hearsay, but was something that could be interpreted watching his games. He was, however, a heck of a perimeter scorer by his sophomore and junior years. In his NBA prime, Carter was the type of guy other players hated playing with. And I have to say that Vince probably goes down as my most disliked tarheel of all time. Despite his enormous talents, I feel like we dodged a bullet with that recruiting miss.

Winslow in contrast, commits himself defensively. Even at this early stage this seems clear. And though we're only 3 games in with really only one competitive opponent so far, we haven't seen anything to suggest a kid who puts himself on an emotional rollercoaster with over-exuberance when things are going well and pouting when things aren't.

So no, so far as I've watched Winslow play - Vince Carter is not even close to someone who comes to mind.

Edouble
11-21-2014, 11:24 AM
Vince was a 3 who was dying to be a 2 because he was soft. Winslow has no issues with that.

Do we dare put Winslow in the same discussion of freakish athletic ability as Carter? I do not see it. Or I have not seen it yet. Carter is on a level with Jordan, Dominique and a couple of others.

Yeah, I don't see the VC comp at all.

It's clear that Winslow is going to be much more effective as a frosh than VC ever was. VC struggled out of the gate and had a much better sophomore year.

Winslow's shot is just as good, if not better than VC's, as a freshman anyway. I don't get the people that are saying that VC had a better shot. He didn't get the green light to shoot from Dean.

Finally, Vince Carter was not a likable 'Heel. The guy was just about a notch below McCants and Ndiaye as far as likability. He was pretty out of control with the swagger in college.

AncientPsychicT
11-21-2014, 11:43 AM
We all make grammatically mistakes

Well isn't that true? ;) :cool:

Troublemaker
11-21-2014, 11:43 AM

Yeah, definitely agree that he's more of a great athlete than a freak athlete (relative to the population of NBA players, not to the 7 billion on Earth). Especially with regard to leaping ability, he doesn't stand out that much. Now, if we're talking about body control / agility with the ball in his hands, that's really the department of Justise.

SupaDave
11-21-2014, 11:46 AM
Vince Carter? Please. I see Larry Johnson...

flyingdutchdevil
11-21-2014, 11:49 AM

Larry Johnson may be the strongest 6'7" and under dude to ever play in the NBA. He also played a ton of PF.

Winslow is a versatile 3 who can play at the 2 and the 4. But he's really best at the 3.

I'm gonna stick with my homeless man's Lebron. Makes sense to me.

CDu
11-21-2014, 11:55 AM
I see a cross between Carter and Kidd-Gilchrist.

He's not nearly as athletic as Carter but has similar skills. But he appears tougher than Carter. He's similarly athletic and tough to Kidd-Gilchrist, but appears more skilled.

I'd say closer in skill set and athleticism to Dwyane Wade. Not saying he'll be that good, but that's more what I see in Winslow than either MKG or Vinsanity.

SupaDave
11-21-2014, 11:55 AM
Larry Johnson may be the strongest 6'7" and under dude to ever play in the NBA. He also played a ton of PF.

Winslow is a versatile 3 who can play at the 2 and the 4. But he's really best at the 3.

If he starts running the offense (admittedly he played some point against MSU) and throwing no look passes then I'm gonna have to agree with that but until then he's probably a lot more Larry Johnson (Winslow played the 3 and 4 against MSU) - especially considering how strong he is for a freshmen. Both comparisons are rare air though. He is obviously highly thought of.

AncientPsychicT
11-21-2014, 11:59 AM

When he gets to the NBA, I would not be surprised if his primary position became the 2. 6'6" is decent height for an NBA 2 while it's a bit undersized for an NBA 3. Additionally, with his strength and defensive skills, Winslow could both effectively guard NBA 2's on defense and use his strength and slasher skills to overpower his mark on offense.

In fact, that last statement just reminded me of another strong NBA 2 guard who uses his strength on offense to overpower his matchups and score inside: Dwyane Wade. Winslow is actually a couple inches taller than Wade, but he has the potential to develop a very similar game IMO.

flyingdutchdevil
11-21-2014, 12:00 PM
If he starts running the offense and throwing no look passes then I'm gonna have to agree with that but until then he's probably a lot more Larry Johnson (Winslow played the 3 and 4 against MSU) - especially considering how strong he is for a freshmen.

Gonna have to disagree then. Until I see effective post-ups and air punching, I'm gonna stick with more SF-oriented players rather than PFs. And while Winslow played some 4 against MSU, we all know that Coach K likes the 4 who can shoot the 3. Also, Winslow is strong for a freshman. But he'll face plenty of PFs (and maybe some SFs) who are going to be just as strong, if not stronger than Winslow this year.

CDu
11-21-2014, 12:01 PM
If he starts running the offense (admittedly he played some point against MSU) and throwing no look passes then I'm gonna have to agree with that but until then he's probably a lot more Larry Johnson (Winslow played the 3 and 4 against MSU) - especially considering how strong he is for a freshmen. Both comparisons are rare air though. He is obviously highly thought of.

In college, LJ was exclusively a PF. He did play some SF in the NBA, but even in the league he was really a PF. Winslow will play some at PF in college, but he's a 2/3 in the NBA rather than a 4 or 4/3.

I do agree that the LeBron comp is a bit of a reach. Winslow can handle the ball but he hasn't shown nearly the passing skill that LeBron has. I still think either a cross between Carter and MKG or a poor man's Wade is more accurate.

Troublemaker
11-21-2014, 12:06 PM
Left-handed, less athletic Iguodala.

ikiru36
11-21-2014, 12:45 PM
Left-handed, less athletic Iguodala.
Exactly who I was about to say. Justise may be a better shooter at this point in his career (though I await confirmation of Justise's consistency from outside) as Iguodala really blossomed at age 20 (though has always remained a relatively middling shooter from range). But a better shooting, somewhat lesser passing Iguodala is pretty great, especially if he shows the same degree of defensive intensity and acumen. Also, Iguodala was a pretty freak athlete, perhaps a notch or two above Justise. Or not. It remains to be seen and I look forward to seeing it!

Go Justise!!!! Go Devils!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rsvman
11-21-2014, 01:05 PM
So people are troubled by the comparison to Vince Carter but are just going to let the comparison to Dominique freakin' Wilkins slide?!?!!! I can only assume that the person who made the comparison is too young to remember much about The Human Highlight Reel, and that most of the rest of you didn't see it.

Don't get me wrong. Justise is very impressive and I'm really glad we have him, but Dominique was a gazelle who could fly. There is no comparison to Wilkins.

Henderson
11-21-2014, 01:05 PM
I see a cross between Carter and Kidd-Gilchrist.

The most obvious is that Justise is a cross between Rickie Winslow and Justise's mom. So who is she? Rickie was 6-8 and played at 225. Justise plays at 6-6 and about 220. I tried googling to find info about Justise's mom and didn't find anything. Someone here must have info. Something I'll feel foolish for not finding I suspect. Maybe a Curry mom and dad story?

CDu
11-21-2014, 01:29 PM
So people are troubled by the comparison to Vince Carter but are just going to let the comparison to Dominique freakin' Wilkins slide?!?!!! I can only assume that the person who made the comparison is too young to remember much about The Human Highlight Reel, and that most of the rest of you didn't see it.

Don't get me wrong. Justise is very impressive and I'm really glad we have him, but Dominique was a gazelle who could fly. There is no comparison to Wilkins.

Yeah, I didn't see someone had brought up Wilkins. But I agree with you. The closest I've seen to Wilkins is LeBron James. Obviously LeBron is the better overall player, but in terms of athleticism, power, and scoring ability, very few are in the company of 'Nique. That guy was crazy.

weezie
11-21-2014, 01:36 PM
I think Carter was a bit of a pretty boy on the court....

I think he was a pretty guy, aka handsome, off the court too. And our Justise is very easy on the eyes too! :cool:

BD80
11-21-2014, 01:41 PM
Justise comp? How about Paul Pierce?

flyingdutchdevil
11-21-2014, 01:41 PM
I think he was a pretty guy, aka handsome, off the court too. And our Justise is very easy on the eyes too! :cool:

My wife and I agree as well. Winslow is a good looking dude.

Can I just say how happy I am that Coach K has eased his position on haircuts and facial hair? Winslow's hair is amazing. Suits him very well.

Ichabod Drain
11-21-2014, 01:43 PM

Where was Winslow compared to Dominique Wilkins?

tux
11-21-2014, 01:51 PM
The more I think about it, the Lebron-lite comparison seems like a good one. Same sorta combination of power and finesse, same balanced (stat stuffer) game... Both are athletic but don't play above the rim like V. Carter did. (Not that they can't get up there.)

Pierce is more of a pure shooter/scorer in my mind (thus the Jabari comps last year), but there are some similarities there as well...

rsvman
11-21-2014, 02:24 PM
Where was Winslow compared to Dominique Wilkins?

Well, I was going to say in post #16 in this thread, but then I went back and re-read the post and discovered that it was Vince Carter who was compared with Wilkins, et al. Which is obviously a lot more reasonable.

So, what I've learned is that I need to either get more sleep or to learn some reading comprehension.

Thank you for pointing out my inherent stupidity. There needs to be a telethon to help people like me. Sheesh.

(I guess the only upside is I got a chance to reminisce about Wilkins for a few minutes over lunch today whilst misreading a perfectly good post.)

superdave
11-21-2014, 03:09 PM

Len Bias was the comp for Dominique.

jimsumner
11-21-2014, 03:12 PM
http://sites.dartmouth.edu/socyfamilyohp24/the-dynamic/

This may answer some of the questions about the Winslow family.

Edouble
11-21-2014, 03:27 PM
In college, LJ was exclusively a PF. He did play some SF in the NBA, but even in the league he was really a PF. Winslow will play some at PF in college, but he's a 2/3 in the NBA rather than a 4 or 4/3.

I do agree that the LeBron comp is a bit of a reach. Winslow can handle the ball but he hasn't shown nearly the passing skill that LeBron has. I still think either a cross between Carter and MKG or a poor man's Wade is more accurate.

Yes.

The great, intimidating, amazing, legend-in-the-making, All-Star version of Larry Johnson was a power forward, no ifs, ands, or buts. I would guess that is how most people would remember him.

After his injury, early in his pro career, he was wise enough to develop his 3-point shot and he stuck in the league as a small forward. But that version of LJ looked little like our Justise.

Winslow is playing up a position when he plays PF and in the NBA, he's a shooting guard. LJ played down when he played the 3, and that was only due to an injury. I'm pretty surprised that LJ would come to mind for anyone when they watch Justise's game. The closest thing that I have seen to LJ in the last 20 years in college is probably DeJuan Blair, who is nothing like Justise.

I really like the Dwayne Wade comparison.

ChillinDuke
11-21-2014, 04:07 PM
Yes.

The great, intimidating, amazing, legend-in-the-making, All-Star version of Larry Johnson was a power forward, no ifs, ands, or buts. I would guess that is how most people would remember him.

After his injury, early in his pro career, he was wise enough to develop his 3-point shot and he stuck in the league as a small forward. But that version of LJ looked little like our Justise.

Winslow is playing up a position when he plays PF and in the NBA, he's a shooting guard. LJ played down when he played the 3, and that was only due to an injury. I'm pretty surprised that LJ would come to mind for anyone when they watch Justise's game. The closest thing that I have seen to LJ in the last 20 years in college is probably DeJuan Blair, who is nothing like Justise.

I really like the Dwayne Wade comparison.

Perhaps the most interesting part of this thread is how diverse the views are regarding comps for Justise. We are all watching the same player, yet comparisons have come out (with support) for Vince Carter, Larry Johnson, Dwayne Wade, a homeless man's Lebron James, and Andre Iguodala.

At this point, it's too early to tell. But I'm thinking I like Iguodala. Half glue guy/half star. Talented enough to be a #1; diverse enough to suit the team's needs. No way he's Vince Carter with the ups and the flash. No way he's Dwayne Wade with the speed, quickness, and put-you-on-my-back attitude. Homeless man Lebron is too hard for me to define the discount that is a "homeless man" (although I get the overall point). And Larry Johnson I was too young to know in college but knew him in the NBA - also strikes me as too strong/burly.

Tab: $22.84

- Chillin

Kedsy
11-21-2014, 04:24 PM
Perhaps the most interesting part of this thread is how diverse the views are regarding comps for Justise. We are all watching the same player, yet comparisons have come out (with support) for Vince Carter, Larry Johnson, Dwayne Wade, a homeless man's Lebron James, and Andre Iguodala.

At this point, it's too early to tell. But I'm thinking I like Iguodala. Half glue guy/half star. Talented enough to be a #1; diverse enough to suit the team's needs. No way he's Vince Carter with the ups and the flash. No way he's Dwayne Wade with the speed, quickness, and put-you-on-my-back attitude. Homeless man Lebron is too hard for me to define the discount that is a "homeless man" (although I get the overall point). And Larry Johnson I was too young to know in college but knew him in the NBA - also strikes me as too strong/burly.

Tab: $22.84

- Chillin

While I personally don't understand the value of comparisons, I really don't understand the value of comparing players with very different roles. Justise is our third or fourth option. It makes little sense to compare him to high usage players like Wade, LeBron (any version, poor, homeless, or otherwise; I mean, really, LeBron?), or even Iguodala (though I agree he's probably the best comp that's been discussed in this thread).

flyingdutchdevil
11-21-2014, 04:49 PM
While I personally don't understand the value of comparisons, I really don't understand the value of comparing players with very different roles. Justise is our third or fourth option. It makes little sense to compare him to high usage players like Wade, LeBron (any version, poor, homeless, or otherwise; I mean, really, LeBron?), or even Iguodala (though I agree he's probably the best comp that's been discussed in this thread).

Comparisons are fun as they provide you with a career trajectory for young players. Today, there really aren't that many "unique" players. Lebron (do-it-all player) and KD (6'10" SF with elite SG shooting skills and very good athleticism) are arguably the most unique players in the NBA (and also the two best). Many of us like comparisons and see plenty of value. Hence, we do it. Plus, it's something to do on a Friday afternoon when we're jazzed for a game and want to talk Duke basketball.

I was the one who made the homeless man LBJ comparison. I don't think it's way off. LBJ is a stat stuffer who impacts the game in a variety of ways. Winslow is similar to that. Winslow has shown flashes (or lengthy periods) of excellent rebounding, playmaking (beautiful passes to the Oak under the basket), defense, fast breaks, etc. Winslow obviously doesn't have the impact per game that LBJ does, but the wide ranging Swiss Army Knife skillset is unique.

I'm not at all suggesting that Winslow will be the second coming of LBJ. Of course not. But we're taking comps, and it's tough to think of a player who is good at everything in the NBA without thinking of LBJ. Hence, homeless man's LBJ.

roywhite
11-21-2014, 04:53 PM

Third or fourth option?

Okay, Okafor is option #1, but is there a clear pecking order after that? Seems to me that Justise is as much of an option as anyone other than Okafor.

yancem
11-21-2014, 04:57 PM
The comparison I heard when we were recruiting Winslow was Ron Artest without psychological issues. Great but not elite athlete, hardnosed defender, good efficient scorer and solid passer.

Kedsy
11-21-2014, 05:06 PM
Comparisons are fun as they provide you with a career trajectory for young players. Today, there really aren't that many "unique" players. Lebron (do-it-all player) and KD (6'10" SF with elite SG shooting skills and very good athleticism) are arguably the most unique players in the NBA (and also the two best). Many of us like comparisons and see plenty of value. Hence, we do it. Plus, it's something to do on a Friday afternoon when we're jazzed for a game and want to talk Duke basketball.

I was the one who made the homeless man LBJ comparison. I don't think it's way off. LBJ is a stat stuffer who impacts the game in a variety of ways. Winslow is similar to that. Winslow has shown flashes (or lengthy periods) of excellent rebounding, playmaking (beautiful passes to the Oak under the basket), defense, fast breaks, etc. Winslow obviously doesn't have the impact per game that LBJ does, but the wide ranging Swiss Army Knife skillset is unique.

I'm not at all suggesting that Winslow will be the second coming of LBJ. Of course not. But we're taking comps, and it's tough to think of a player who is good at everything in the NBA without thinking of LBJ. Hence, homeless man's LBJ.

I don't think all-around players are as rare in the NBA as you're making them out to be. Frankly, Justise is a lot closer to a poor-man's Josh Smith than he is to an anything-man's LeBron.

nmduke2001
11-21-2014, 05:34 PM
The comparison I heard when we were recruiting Winslow was Ron Artest without psychological issues. Great but not elite athlete, hardnosed defender, good efficient scorer and solid passer.

That's who I was gonna say but Artest is thicker. Maybe Shawn Marion.

Indoor66
11-21-2014, 05:46 PM

Except that Winslow plays defense! :cool:

jimsumner
11-21-2014, 05:49 PM
Anybody else see just a hint of Kawhi Leonard?

flyingdutchdevil
11-21-2014, 06:07 PM

Great comp, Jim. Best one I've heard yet.

They even have the same demeanor: have you seen Kawhi or Justise smile?

NSDukeFan
11-21-2014, 06:36 PM

If Winslow ends up being the second best player and an all-American on the championship team like MKG, I will be quite pleased. Isn't a Swiss Army knife a glue guy in that he can do whatever is needed. I loved watching MKG in college and, likewise, am very much enjoying watching Justise. I don't know if it's the best comparison, but it is much better than insane athlete, great scorer, not the best intangible VC.

I don't see either comparison, but one reason the91 championship was such an upset was because of how much great LJ was.

Yeah, I didn't see someone had brought up Wilkins. But I agree with you. The closest I've seen to Wilkins is LeBron James. Obviously LeBron is the better overall player, but in terms of athleticism, power, and scoring ability, very few are in the company of 'Nique. That guy was crazy.
Just have to agree with how crazy Dominique was. Amazing dunker, but more than that in that he was a fabulous scorer and very good rebounder. I would say Blake Griffin is a reasonable comparison to Nique.

Len Bias was the comp for Dominique.
Would have been great to see.

I didn't see Leonard at all in college, but like the way he defends multiple positions, rebounds, shoots and drives for the Spurs. Hopefully, Justise can be a do-it-all player for a championship team that is great to watch, has a beautiful offence, shares the ball very well, plays a deep bench for one of the all-time great coaches with a good sense of humor.

FerryFor50
11-21-2014, 06:43 PM
Thank you for pointing out my inherent stupidity. There needs to be a telethon to help people like me. Sheesh.

If you managed to get someone to hold a telethon to raise money for you on the sole basis of being stupid, then you wouldn't be all that stupid after all. :)

Edouble
11-21-2014, 06:49 PM
That's who I was gonna say but Artest is thicker.

Both in physical girth and in his head.

Henderson
11-21-2014, 07:18 PM
Even as a baby he had huge shoulders.

What's with the baby blue outfit though?

Caption: "You may be laughing at me now, but you'll be on SportCenter later."

NSDukeFan
11-21-2014, 07:47 PM
I don't see either comparison, but one reason the91 championship was such an upset was because of how much great LJ was.

I hope I am allowed to keep my posting privileges after "how much great". Sorry about that one. Perhaps that is why you are supposed to preview first.

NashvilleDevil
11-21-2014, 07:50 PM

I understand it. It's early and it's fun to do.

Henderson
11-21-2014, 07:56 PM
I don't see either comparison, but one reason the 91 championship was such an upset was because of how great LJ was.

Let's give some credit to Chris Jeter, father of our Chase Jeter, who was on that team and schooled Larry Johnson during practices (though he DNP in that '91 semifinal game).

cato
11-21-2014, 07:58 PM

Good call. From my seat out here in San Diego, though, Leonard was really special. Justise seems to have better offense from the get go, but man, Kawhi was something as an all around player.

If Justise can develop in that direction, this team is going to be tough.

MChambers
11-21-2014, 08:21 PM
That's who I was gonna say but Artest is thicker. Maybe Shawn Marion.
I have been told that Artest, who is now playing in China, is changing his name to "The Panda's Friend."

I hope Justise doesn't do something similar.

Potato Head
11-21-2014, 10:20 PM
Lamar Odom? Smaller and more athletic, obviously.

Duke95
11-21-2014, 11:13 PM
I have been told that Artest, who is now playing in China, is changing his name to "The Panda's Friend."

I hope Justise doesn't do something similar.

Close. I think he's now "Kung-Fu Panda".

noladevil
11-25-2014, 09:13 PM
Winslow looks to be what Shabazz Muhammad was supposed to be. Same body, athleticism, and both lefty - just that Muhammad for various reasons is just a lot of unfulfilled promise.

jv001
11-25-2014, 09:18 PM
Close. I think he's now "Kung-Fu Panda".

I thought he used to play 3rd base for the Giants and was signed by the Red Sox as a FA. GoDuke!

JPtheGame
11-25-2014, 11:17 PM

Ron Artest Stat Summary:
Season GP MPG PPG FG% 3FG% FT% APG RPG BPG SPG
1998-99 37 34.2 14.5 46.9 37.4 64.4 4.2 6.3 1.2 2.1
1997-98 32 27.2 11.6 41.5 32.7 52.6 1.9 6.3 1.1 1.6

I'll take those year 2 numbers from justise.

ACCBBallFan
11-25-2014, 11:33 PM
http://sites.dartmouth.edu/socyfamilyohp24/the-dynamic/

This may answer some of the questions about the Winslow family.

Thanks for posting that Jim