PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial 2014-15 Announcer Thread

MChambers
11-20-2014, 02:25 PM
Please post your thoughts on Dickie V., Doris Burke, Jay Bilas, Seth Greenberg, and any other announcer in this thread!

Edouble
11-20-2014, 02:33 PM
This is a great thread idea.

It took Doris Burke 5 possessions to mention that we had gone to a zone defense. She was too busy talking about Greg Popovich to notice.

Dickie V incorrectly used "infer" when he meanth "imply" during the Duke-MSU game and Dan Shulman corrected him. It was awesome, baby.

dbcooper
11-20-2014, 02:35 PM
Please post your thoughts on Dickie V., Doris Burke, Jay Bilas, Seth Greenberg, and any other announcer in this thread!

ANYONE except Len Elmore!!

flyingdutchdevil
11-20-2014, 02:42 PM
Burke - fan
Bilas - fan
Greenberg - fan
Gottlieb - kinda a fan (DBR ain't gonna like that one)
Shulman - fan
Elmore - don't mind

Basically, I'm a fan of announcers, whether they are play-by-play or color. It's background noise to me most of the time as I'm usually socializing or watching it in a bar. However...

Dickie V - not a fan. The voice, the over-excitement over the smallest thing (basically he's an old kid in a metaphorical candy shop), the complete bias for the better team... It's really unbearable

Tripping William
11-20-2014, 02:43 PM
I secretly wished Chris Spatola had been the color guy for the UK/KU game the other night, so he could again make reference to palindromes.

gti116
11-20-2014, 02:56 PM
To be honest almost everyone they have except Burke and Vitale. Jay is probably my favorite, just because he know what he's doing the most.

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-20-2014, 02:58 PM
ANYONE except Len Elmore!!
We need the Jon Stewart shout jar to capture all Lenny comments...

elvis14
11-20-2014, 03:13 PM
There are lots of games where I don't even notice the announcers. The bad thing is that when I notice them it's usually when they are either anti-Duke or blatantly rooting for the other team. I don't mind Dickie-V but I recognize that he has gotten worse over the years. He's always had the energy and love of the game but he used to stay on topic more than he does now. Len Elmore is someone I can't stand. He doesn't like Duke and he doesn't hide it very well. Jay Bilas does a great d job. He tends to be better when he's not the announcer for a Duke game (that way he can complement both teams).

chadlee989
11-20-2014, 03:23 PM
I hate when Doris Burke calls one of our games. Does anyone know of a radio station that carries the Bob Harris call streaming live online?

fisheyes
11-20-2014, 03:44 PM
Bobby Knight any day. He's the best. Would love to see more of him. Anyone know if he's still announcing this year?

door
11-20-2014, 04:09 PM
I'll second Bobby Knight, all day, everyday. That guy has forgotten more about the game than most coaches remember. Plus he doesn't care for Cal too much.....

Tripping William
11-20-2014, 04:11 PM
Bobby Knight any day. He's the best. Would love to see more of him.

^^^ This! Plus (please!) No-More-Elmore.

As for Vitale, I'm just looking forward to the day that he calls his first Carolina game of the season & tries to trot out that schlock about "Always doing things the right way; never a hint of scandal," only to have Shulman full-on call him out about it.

oakvillebluedevil
11-20-2014, 04:15 PM
Every time Len Elmore opens his mouth during a Duke game and a sound comes out of it, my life just gets a little bit less happy. I find the fact that they let him call Duke games offensive.

He'll take a great defensive play by Duke and blame it on a bad no-call by the refs. Duke's offenses are never great - opponents' defenses are only terrible. By the 12 minute mark of the first half he will have already had a couple coaching sessions on what the other team needs to do to beat Duke.

I'm pretty mild-mannered. Have read DBR for many years and only posted a few times - mostly pretty positive. But in my mind Len Elmore brings out the absolute worst of everything.

Edouble
11-20-2014, 04:19 PM
Did anyone else notice on Thursday night how poorly Ja(y)son Williams's suit jacket fit him?

I mean, it was really bad. Greenberg and Bilas looked sharp. Jay's was cinched around his traps and tight at his stomach. With his build, if his jackets are not altered, they are gonna look really weird.

BigWayne
11-20-2014, 04:25 PM
Doris Burke is the only announcer that makes we wish Dickie V was doing the game instead. Even my wife, who rarely watches a basketball game, can't stand her.

uh_no
11-20-2014, 04:57 PM
Bobby Knight any day. He's the best. Would love to see more of him. Anyone know if he's still announcing this year?

I love when guys like he and calhoun do some analysis...i know people here hate him...but he's darn good at recognizing what's going on on the floor...he did a good job during interviews during uconn games last year, and had some nice tidbits during the UK/KU game yesterday

dbcooper
11-20-2014, 04:57 PM
I hate when Doris Burke calls one of our games. Does anyone know of a radio station that carries the Bob Harris call streaming live online?

Tunein Radio - Blue Devil IMG Sports Network

elvis14
11-20-2014, 04:59 PM
Every time Len Elmore opens his mouth during a Duke game and a sound comes out of it, my life just gets a little bit less happy. I find the fact that they let him call Duke games offensive.

He'll take a great defensive play by Duke and blame it on a bad no-call by the refs. Duke's offenses are never great - opponents' defenses are only terrible. By the 12 minute mark of the first half he will have already had a couple coaching sessions on what the other team needs to do to beat Duke.

I'm pretty mild-mannered. Have read DBR for many years and only posted a few times - mostly pretty positive. But in my mind Len Elmore brings out the absolute worst of everything.

I couldn't agree more with what oakvillebluedevil is saying here. The point he makes about Elmore going over what the other team needs to do to beat Duke is spot on. That drives me crazy and he does it over and over during every Duke game he works.

I had an appointment at Duke Ortho one time on a game day. When I was walking out to my truck, I saw Elmore in the parking lot. I was bummed because that meant he was going to be broadcasting the game that night. I thought about politely asking him to back off the Duke-hate during games but I figured it wouldn't make any difference. Of course I should have just asked him what the other team needed to do to win.

duke79
11-20-2014, 05:23 PM
Yea, I love Dickie V as a person.....but he is incredibly annoying as an announcer. My view on announcers is that "less is more". I think sports in this country (thanks ESPN) have become incredibly over analyzed and over hyped. I tend to zone out on the announcers.

GGLC
11-20-2014, 05:35 PM
I'm not sure what people don't like about Doris Burke; she isn't incredibly incisive like Bobby Knight, but few announcers are. She seems perfectly inoffensive and unnoticeable to me.

And at least she comments on what's actually happening on the court; I cannot imagine ever preferring Dick Vitale's digressions and inanities.

gumbomoop
11-20-2014, 07:33 PM
Dan Bonner
Gminski
I like Spanarkel, but seldom hear him
Usually like Doris Burke, but sometimes not

Marc81
11-20-2014, 07:34 PM
I'm not sure what people don't like about Doris Burke; she isn't incredibly incisive like Bobby Knight, but few announcers are. She seems perfectly inoffensive and unnoticeable to me.

And at least she comments on what's actually happening on the court; I cannot imagine ever preferring Dick Vitale's digressions and inanities.

I'm with you. I like her. I don't know why so many don't. I think we can all get onbored with Elmore though. He is the worst!

GGLC
11-20-2014, 07:36 PM
Gminski is consistently excellent.

Edouble
11-20-2014, 08:37 PM

He is the best. But no soup for you: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/chi-bob-knight-espn-20141113-story.html

ESPN will not be using Knight to cover ACC games. Big Monday ACC crew will be Sean McDonough and Shane. Wednesday Night Hoops ACC games will be covered by Bob Wischusen and LaPhonso Ellis. Saturday Showcase ACC games will be Dave O'Brien and Doris Burke. Dan Shulman and Jay Bilas will cover Saturday Primetime for all conferences.

Henderson
11-21-2014, 11:14 AM
Dickie V incorrectly used "infer" when he meanth "imply" during the Duke-MSU game and Dan Shulman corrected him. It was awesome, baby.

Caught that too. I laughed. Shulman is now on my All-Canadian sportscaster team.

OTOH, I thought Shane got off to a rocky start. He'll be better, but he's definitely on a learning curve.

Henderson
11-21-2014, 11:40 AM
Burke - fan
Bilas - fan
Greenberg - fan
Gottlieb - kinda a fan (DBR ain't gonna like that one)
Shulman - fan
Elmore - don't mind

Basically, I'm a fan of announcers, whether they are play-by-play or color. It's background noise to me most of the time as I'm usually socializing or watching it in a bar. However...

Dickie V - not a fan. The voice, the over-excitement over the smallest thing (basically he's an old kid in a metaphorical candy shop), the complete bias for the better team... It's really unbearable

I'll subscribe to all of this except for the Gottlieb thing. I think he's a tool and not good at his job.

I generally don't care who's broadcasting. It's not really my focus, and I kind of tune them out anyway. But I can easily live with Bilas, Burke, Greenberg, Shulman, Gminski, Spanarkle, Knight, Raftery (kinda), Fraschilla (kinda), Dan Bonner and Ian Eagle. I think Bilas, Burke, and Shulman are particularly good, but the rest are fine too.

Dickie V. I like him the way I like wind blast on a fast motorcycle: Kind of fun at first, but gives me a headache. And after 30 years of him, I need a break.

BUT: I think Ryan Craig and Chris Spatola both have futures in broadcasting. They get the job done and have fun too. The schticks about palindromes and Semi's muscles were pretty funny. Spatola was self-deprecating about the latter, and I liked that too. He's Coach K's son-in-law, and he referenced his wife in the back and forth, which was funny.

Matches
11-21-2014, 11:48 AM
Bonner has long been my favorite. Affable, brings insight to what he's watching, has no biases that I can discern - all-around pleasant to listen to. Gminski is a close second, for basically the same reasons. #3 for me right now is probably Corey Alexander.

Bilas is a bit full of himself but I like him too. He does overcorrect to avoid the appearance of Duke bias at times.

Knight was enjoyable at first but I got weary of him relatively quickly. His in-depth analysis of the game was a welcome counterpoint to Vitale's empty schtick but he's really dry. He also seems to have a lost a step relative to a few years ago - there was a game last season (?) where it was pretty clear he didn't understand a shot-clock issue near the end.

Burke is OK. Nitpicky thing, but I just don't like her voice. Her demeanor and analysis are fine - she's not the best but she's far from the worst - but I just don't like her voice.

Vitale's routine got old around 1997 or so. He actually didn't bother me much during the MSU game. Obviously he's not offering any insight into the game - it's all a performance - I understand why that has some value to a more casual fan but it has little for me.

Elmore is the worst. Seriously - the worst. It's not even just the blatant Duke hatred - he is a poor analyst. He misses a TON of what's going on and badly mis-inteprets much of what he doesn't. I actually thought he was okay when he first started calling games but it seems like he stopped accruing basketball knowledge sometime around the early 90's. He's now the one guy I will go out of my way to mute.

I'm not a Jay Williams fan either. Now, Jason Williams - that guy was awesome.

I still miss both Brad Daugherty and Terry Gannon, and wish we could get them back.

flyingdutchdevil
11-21-2014, 11:53 AM
Knight was enjoyable at first but I got weary of him relatively quickly. His in-depth analysis of the game was a welcome counterpoint to Vitale's empty schtick but he's really dry. He also seems to have a lost a step relative to a few years ago - there was a game last season (?) where it was pretty clear he didn't understand a shot-clock issue near the end.

Could not agree more. Knight provides really interesting insight, but his voice is robotic. He's basically the ant-Vitale: no passion, no catch phrases, great insight, doesn't praise anyone (except Duke).

I'm like Goldilocks: I need the balance between passion and insight. Burke provides that for me.

Henderson
11-21-2014, 12:01 PM
I'm like Goldilocks: I need the balance between passion and insight. Burke provides that for me.

Quite an admission. Does someone here have a bear and porridge fetish with a propensity to dress up in skirts and long blond wigs? j/k of course.

We should have a poll on Doris Burke. I'll vote "yes".

MChambers
11-21-2014, 12:21 PM
I'm okay with Burke, although she doesn't have a great voice and she tend to have her list of ten things she has to get in to the broadcast. My son is still irritated with her incessant stories about MP3 fighting with his brothers.

Elmore requires me to mute the sound. Will have to try that TuneIn approach that someone suggested upthread.

I love the approach of Bilas and Shulman. Can't stand Vitale, but who can?

I wish Bones McKinney were still alive and doing games: "Well, I'd just throw it in to the big man!"

Henderson
11-21-2014, 12:26 PM
I wish Bones McKinney were still alive and doing games: "Well, I'd just throw it in to the big man!"

Just please, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE don't bring up Billy Packer. I can't believe Jim Thacker didn't off him; he was so close and the benefit to society would have been enormous.

Clay Feet POF
11-21-2014, 01:23 PM
I'll second Bobby Knight, all day, everyday. That guy has forgotten more about the game than most coaches remember. Plus he doesn't care for Cal too much.....

100%

60sDukie
11-21-2014, 01:25 PM
I hate it when there is a foul / turnover or something happening on the court and the announcers are so busy blathering about something else that they don 't tell us who the foul is on or exactly what is going on. Vitale is the worst. Sometimes it is like they are not even watching the game.

weezie
11-21-2014, 01:42 PM
Wasn't there a game a couple of seasons ago that was broadcast w no announcers only referee voices and the squeek of sneakers and crowd noise? Not a Duke game though....
I smell a pay-per-view goldmine.

jv001
11-21-2014, 01:44 PM
Wasn't there a game a couple of seasons ago that was broadcast w no announcers only referee voices and the squeek of sneakers and crowd noise? Not a Duke game though....

I think you're correct, but I can't even remember if it was NBA, NCAA BB or NFL. It sure beats the heck out of listening to Dickie and especially Len Elmore. GoDuke!

flyingdutchdevil
11-21-2014, 01:46 PM

I'd pay an extra $1 a game for no announcers, but I'd pay an extra $2 for a detailed scoreboard (especially fouls). Announcers are very good for explaining fouls if your smartphone isn't cooperating.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
11-21-2014, 01:58 PM
I want my main man Gus Johnson on any and every game possible. Why he started calling soccer games is beyond me, however he has recently stepped down as Fox Sports soccer lead play by play. So hopefully sooner or later CBS and everyone else will get their stuff together and get the man calling tourney games again.

weezie
11-21-2014, 04:10 PM
Gus called the U of Arizona football game last weekend. I was thrilled to see him! I love him!

rsvman
11-21-2014, 05:10 PM
Could be worse. We could still be listening to Packer.

Talk about a negative guy! Every great offensive play was a missed defensive assignment. Every steal was a failure to protect the ball. Every fast break was a failure of transition defense.

To Packer a sunny day was a cloud cover failure!

Couldn't stand him.

Edouble
11-21-2014, 06:26 PM
Vitale's routine got old around 1997 or so. He actually didn't bother me much during the MSU game. Obviously he's not offering any insight into the game - it's all a performance - I understand why that has some value to a more casual fan but it has little for me.

The thing that really bugs me is the guy will go on and on about the Jason Williams, Dunleavy, and Boozer teams for 10 minutes. When those guys were actually playing, he would go on and on about Laettner, Hurley and Hill. Two or three years from now, while the future incarnation of Duke is on the court, is he gonna be talking about Okafor, Winslow, and Jones and how "special" those three were?

Why not just talk about the team that is on the court right now, and what they are doing?

Sometimes I think that these guys go into "filler" material in the second half anytime the score has more than a two point discrepancy either way. Like the viewer is going to change the channel because they're bored, except... wait!... Dickie V is telling a story about the steakhouse he ate in while he was in Tampa for the Yankees spiring training! Hold on, I'm staying right here to take in this incredible anecdote!

MChambers
11-23-2014, 02:48 PM
I enjoyed listening to Greg Anthony and Steve Smith this weekend. The play-by-play announcer (Bryan Anderson?) was okay.

The halftime clowns from Bleacher Report were awful, like listening to really bad sports radio live chat.

Edouble
11-23-2014, 03:58 PM
I enjoyed listening to Greg Anthony and Steve Smith this weekend. The play-by-play announcer (Bryan Anderson?) was okay.

The halftime clowns from Bleacher Report were awful, like listening to really bad sports radio live chat.

I was amused by the clowns. I thought their "desk" was hilarious. It was the size of an end table.

Greg Anthony is consistently good. Steve Smith's comments about Quinn being known for his defense cost him some points with me.

burnspbesq
11-23-2014, 05:03 PM
I want my main man Gus Johnson on any and every game possible. Why he started calling soccer games is beyond me, however he has recently stepped down as Fox Sports soccer lead play by play. So hopefully sooner or later CBS and everyone else will get their stuff together and get the man calling tourney games again.

Gotta disagree with you here. Gus' call of the 2013 FA Cup final was all kinds of awesome.

Elmore is bad, but there is actually someone who is even worse: Kara Lawson. If she is ever assigned to do a Duke game, just take me out back and shoot me.

Oh, and one other thing, ESPN: Quint Kessenich is a great analyst for lax, but as a sideline reporter for football or hockey, he makes me want to gargle with Drano.

Henderson
11-23-2014, 09:20 PM

+1.

Anderson was fine, which is about what you want from a play-by-play guy. I've always liked Greg Anthony. Smart guy; knows his stuff; communicates his knowledge well. My one quibble is that he often gets too verbal for words, meaning there is no play-by-play for some stretches. Others do it too, and it's mildly annoying. But Anthony generally is at least saying something interesting. I think play-by-play people (or producers) need to sit these guys down and explain that analysts analyze when (and only when) play-by-play announcers don't need the mike.

I don't think I'd seen Steve Smith do a game before, and he was solid. But I don't understand the point of having a second color commentator as TruTv did for these games. Maybe because Mystery Science Theater 3000 had three commentators, TruTv thinks it should to. I don't get it. Steve Smith didn't have much of a role. As noted, Anthony is not a reticent commentator whose space needs filling. And there is a game to be called by the play-by-play guy.

Dukehky
11-23-2014, 09:36 PM
Doris Burke makes me want to throw my TV out the window. And I like her personally, I remember going to a Duke GT game where she was on the sideline and she had a deflated ball that Hewitt made the Jackets practice with and I clapped my hands and she tossed me the ball, and I remember asking her if I could keep it, and she said if she could give it to me, she would. So I definitely rooted for her when she got the promotion off the sideline. But I just don't think she provides very good insight into what is going on, and the way she does it just rubs me the wrong way. I also don't like her on women's games which makes me feel better about myself, because when I first realized I didn't like her I was afraid at some level it was because she was calling men's games, but I don't think that's the case.

I like Jay Williams on the desk, but not calling games, he does more anti-Duke stuff than Bilas does because he is closer to the program chronologically.

I loath Seth Greenberg, but at least he can complete sentences, which Digger was finding difficult to do last year. I also kind of like having someone to emphatically disagree with while watching GameDay, because the two Jays I just nod along with most of the time. I would love to get Jalen back on the desk with those two, but he has really shot up the NBA roster.

Mike Patrick is getting a little old and he was such a Vitale enabler, which is why Shulman is so fantastic.

When Vitale sticks to basketball, I find him bearable, but when he goes on his soliloquies about his SAT scores, I just focus really hard to see how profane Amile Jefferson gets by lip reading. BTW, Amile and Casey Sanders are the two players I have seen drop the F-Bomb the most on TV. Way to go Casey!!!

Turk
11-24-2014, 10:46 AM
He is the best. But no soup for you: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/chi-bob-knight-espn-20141113-story.html

ESPN will not be using Knight to cover ACC games. Big Monday ACC crew will be Sean McDonough and Shane. Wednesday Night Hoops ACC games will be covered by Bob Wischusen and LaPhonso Ellis. Saturday Showcase ACC games will be Dave O'Brien and Doris Burke. Dan Shulman and Jay Bilas will cover Saturday Primetime for all conferences.

I went and dug up the link for the entire press release from the Mother Ship:

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2014/11/mens-college-basketball-all-star-commentator-lineup-on-espns-extensive-2014-15-coverage/

Have not heard Shane do a game yet. (But it's not clear to me how this career move positions him for the primaries in 2020 or 2024...)

Also want to call your attention to PAC-12 games on Weds and Thurs nights. I want to throw out some love for my idol Bill Walton. His commentary is based on classic Wooden old-school basketball, with good anecdotes and the random Dead lyric thrown in. His love of the game and admiration of *true* student-athletes comes through on almost every broadcast.

How far out do they create announcing schedules? I tried poking around to see what was coming up and didn't have much luck. I guess there are so many games on now the schedule must be pretty fluid, compared to who is doing which NFL games.

HaveFunExpectToWin
11-24-2014, 10:55 AM

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2014/11/mens-college-basketball-all-star-commentator-lineup-on-espns-extensive-2014-15-coverage/

Have not heard Shane do a game yet. (But it's not clear to me how this career move positions him for the primaries in 2020 or 2024...)

Is it odd that the exact same thought went through my head? I was thinking that a position in the current administration would have been a good start.

brevity
11-24-2014, 11:21 AM

Is it odd that the exact same thought went through my head? I was thinking that a position in the current administration would have been a good start.

Given his political potential, I really question Shane Battier's current career direction into broadcasting. He doesn't have to go straight to President, but by now he should already be heading one of the following:

Department of Education, because he took so many opponents to school.
Department of Health and Human Services, because of all the clinics he's staged.
Department of Interior, because of his work in the paint.
Department of Agriculture, because they don't grow 'em like him anymore.
Department of Energy, because of the boost he provides off the bench.
Department of Labor, because he works so hard (though obviously not as hard as Tyler Hansbrough*).
Department of Defense, because.

* In an across-the-aisle, bipartisan move, Tyler Hansbrough would head the Department of Transportation.

77devil
11-24-2014, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the link. I see a net positive. Digger has finally retired. Jalen Rose is off Gameday. It appears Mike Patrick and Len Elmore are off the ACC beat entirely, and Brad Daugherty is back as an analyst on some ACC games. Negatives: Jim Calhoun has joined ESPN. Didn't assess the studio changes as I almost never bother to listen to the drivel.

Shane was not smooth at all and struggled as a sideline analyst during the Duke vs. MSU game. To succeed he will have to improve his delivery a lot.

Could not disagree more. Getting involved in a relatively unpopular, lame duck administration in its last two years would not be politically smart; and Shane is plenty smart.

uh_no
11-24-2014, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the link. I see a net positive. Digger has finally retired. Jalen Rose is off Gameday. It appears Mike Patrick and Len Elmore are off the ACC beat entirely, and Brad Daugherty is back as an analyst on some ACC games. Negatives: Jim Calhoun has joined ESPN. Didn't assess the studio changes as I almost never bother to listen to the drivel.

Shane was not smooth at all and struggled as a sideline analyst during the Duke vs. MSU game. To succeed he will have to improve his delivery a lot.

Could not disagree more. Getting involved in a relatively unpopular, lame duck administration in its last two years would not be politically smart; and Shane is plenty smart.

if you can get past your hate, he's quite insightful...but then again I don't expect most people here to be rational when it comes to anything Uconn.

mattman91
11-24-2014, 11:56 AM
Count me in the minority that LOVES Dickie V. I know he can be annoying, but the old guy is so passionate. How can you hate on a guy who is living his dream? I would act the same way if I were in his position.

Bob Knight? G.OA.T. So fun to listen to. Every time I watch a game he calls, I feel like I learn something new.

77devil
11-24-2014, 11:59 AM
if you can get past your hate, he's quite insightful...but then again I don't expect most people here to be rational when it comes to anything Uconn.

A tad oversensitive, eh? I don't hate Jim Calhouun though I do believe he was an unethical head coach at UConn and ran a dirty program. Call me an idealist, but I don't think he should be rewarded with a microphone and a contract.

Lid
11-24-2014, 12:08 PM
Digger has finally retired. ... It appears Mike Patrick and Len Elmore are off the ACC beat entirely, and Brad Daugherty is back as an analyst on some ACC games.

Win, win and win! I'm especially excited to hear Brad D again -- really enjoyed his approach and personality before.

uh_no
11-24-2014, 12:46 PM
A tad oversensitive, eh? I don't hate Jim Calhouun though I do believe he was an unethical head coach at UConn and ran a dirty program. Call me an idealist, but I don't think he should be rewarded with a microphone and a contract.

Alright, so it is an ad hominem argument, and not one based on skill. That's completely fair, but perhaps i should have asked for your reasoning first. It's the same argument that keeps pete rose out of the hall, and lance armstrong out of most sports related gigs. I personally don't care, as I'd rather listen to good reasoning from a convict rather than the drivel that usually spouts out of commentator's mouths....give me people who understand the game more than at a basic level....Knight, Gruden (NFL)....tell me something i can't figure out on my own...so i can learn something about what i'm watching....I don't care if you're Michael the Archangel or Jack the Ripper...

I stand by my comment that there is by and large (and understandably) an anti uconn/calhoun bias here. This is evidenced by the fact that Jim Boeheim largely gets a pass, despite having similar APR issues, being involved in a major NCAA investigation relating to improper benefits for bball players, having players suspended, and the way he treats the media.

brevity
11-24-2014, 02:23 PM
I stand by my comment that there is by and large (and understandably) an anti uconn/calhoun bias here. This is evidenced by the fact that Jim Boeheim largely gets a pass, despite having similar APR issues, being involved in a major NCAA investigation relating to improper benefits for bball players, having players suspended, and the way he treats the media.

I can't speak for everyone on DBR, but I imagine that we are okay with Jim Boeheim because Coach K is okay with Jim Boeheim. He's a bit of a whiner, but I don't have a very strong positive or negative opinion of him. Back when I started following Big East basketball he was just one of a handful of coaching characters. I would not consider myself much of a Syracuse fan, but I appreciated Boeheim's long struggle to win the NCAA Tournament, seemingly a ceiling to him until 2003.

In contrast, I started out a Jim Calhoun fan. He was funny and he came out of nowhere (Northeastern, but still). I rooted -- in the alternative -- for Connecticut in early 1990s, and was a little surprised that Calhoun couldn't get past the Elite Eight with Donyell Marshall or Ray Allen. Of course, he broke through at the worst possible time for Duke, and I was less enamored of him and his players by then. Things just got worse from there, with the scandals and the titles. And there was no struggle by then; it seemed like Jim Calhoun had a much easier time winning his second and third titles than Bob Knight or Coach K did.

Kevin Ollie seems fine, but I can't help but feel that Connecticut won the 2014 title because no one else, save maybe Kentucky, played like they wanted it.

construe
11-24-2014, 02:25 PM
I was always a fan of Rick Majerus, RIP. He had the great insights of a really good Xs-Os coach, but would then throw in the craziest (and sometimes offensive) asides. I still laugh at the comment he made after the "requisite" Ashley Judd shot during a KY game...something about not having to stop now to pick up a magazine on the way home (ay carumba!). And how could we forget his insights on Marty's calves?

Anyway, he introduced me to the "180 player" concept and would often point out subtle adjustments other teams were making. I like ex-coaches for insights like that. I almost never learn anything from the other color commentators. Knight was good for a while, but I agree that it's clear he's just not a TV showman (good for him). Maybe Calhoun will pick up the slack

Turk
11-24-2014, 03:05 PM

I beg to differ. The timing is perfect for exactly the reasons you mentioned. Expectations are low, with plenty of opportunities to make connections and good impressions. Think of it like a September call-up to the major league roster. Doesn't matter how good the team is - now you're in The Show.

77devil
11-24-2014, 03:10 PM
Alright, so it is an ad hominem argument, and not one based on skill. That's completely fair, but perhaps i should have asked for your reasoning first. It's the same argument that keeps pete rose out of the hall, and lance armstrong out of most sports related gigs. I personally don't care, as I'd rather listen to good reasoning from a convict rather than the drivel that usually spouts out of commentator's mouths....give me people who understand the game more than at a basic level....Knight, Gruden (NFL)....tell me something i can't figure out on my own...so i can learn something about what i'm watching....I don't care if you're Michael the Archangel or Jack the Ripper...

There was nothing ad hominem about my statement-I was not making an argument. Calhoun's known misdeeds are well documented facts. Your entitled to your opinion about honesty and ethics. I simply don't share it. But your argument is a false premise that it's an either or situation. I'm sure there are plenty of good basketball analysts available who didn't cheat. I just don't agree that Calhoun's cheating doesn't matter.

luburch
11-24-2014, 03:34 PM
The Good:
Bilas, Knight, Shulman, Greg Anthony, Dakich.

The Bad:
Burke, Vitale, Gus Johnson, Gottlieb. I don't think he's ever called a game, but Matt Jones is intolerable as well. And no, not the Matt Jones who is currently on the roster.

I'm sure there are others, but these are the first to come to mind.

Edouble
11-24-2014, 04:25 PM
I beg to differ. The timing is perfect for exactly the reasons you mentioned. Expectations are low, with plenty of opportunities to make connections and good impressions. Think of it like a September call-up to the major league roster. Doesn't matter how good the team is - now you're in The Show.

Yes, plus there's a good chance that the current administration will be treated better in a historical context than they are currently being treated. Clinton's second term could also be described as a "relatively unpopular, lame duck administration", but today he's one of the faces of the party (as is Carter, who was unpopular at the end of his time in office, but is now well thought of).

I don't think there's a bad time to start making connections.

Edouble
11-24-2014, 04:29 PM
Win, win and win! I'm especially excited to hear Brad D again -- really enjoyed his approach and personality before.

I am very excited to hear this as well. Daugherty was a Carolina homer who cleaned up his act after a few years and became one of my favorite color commentators. I would put him only after Knight in my rankings of the top color guys.

I muted Calhoun as soon as he came on during the MSU game. I will give the guy a chance, with so many around here insisting that he's a boon to the broadcasts.

Don't know if folks recall this, but Shane helped cover the 2013 NBA Draft. It looks like he hasn't improved much since, although I suppose he was busy playing in the NBA, so it would have been difficult to work much on his broadcasting "game". Let's go Shane!

Dukehky
12-02-2014, 09:36 PM
Guys, seriously, I love Shane Battier, but how the hell is he doing the showcase game on ESPN tonight. This is his first game that I've seen him do, but my friends, he is struggling out there.

Duvall
12-02-2014, 09:37 PM
Guys, seriously, I love Shane Battier, but how the hell is he doing the showcase game on ESPN tonight. This is his first game that I've seen him do, but my friends, he is struggling out there.

Who knows why ESPN does any of the things it does.

moonpie23
12-02-2014, 09:57 PM
i think shane has what it takes, but it's not as easy as one might think.......he'll get better...

Dukehky
12-02-2014, 10:02 PM
i think shane has what it takes, but it's not as easy as one might think.......he'll get better...

Not my point. Of course I think Shane can be really good at this. I think Jay Williams used to be really bad too, but he has gotten good, as I'm sure Shane will too. But they put Jay on Minnesota at Wake on ESPNU type games, not on the prime time marquee matchup of Tuesday night on ESPN. This is ESPN being silly. Plus you can hear some dude behind the announcers yelling "Shane you suck" which isn't very nice.

LSTennisMan
01-04-2015, 10:04 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that Len Elmore should NOT be broadcasting Duke games??!!

I think he is incredibly biased against Duke, for whatever reason. He used to be allright (remember he was on the call with Verne Lundquist for the Kentucky game!). Lately, I am tempted to turn the volume down!

Please tell me I'm not the only one who feels this way.

wilson
01-04-2015, 10:43 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that Len Elmore should NOT be broadcasting Duke games??!!

I think he is incredibly biased against Duke, for whatever reason. He used to be allright (remember he was on the call with Verne Lundquist for the Kentucky game!). Lately, I am tempted to turn the volume down!

Please tell me I'm not the only one who feels this way.Let me just say to you, a new member...you're gonna fit right in around here.

camion
01-04-2015, 10:58 AM
If you don't get many replies don't feel bad.

Overwhelming agreement makes for a boring thread. :)

DukeDevil
01-04-2015, 11:07 AM
Hey...you're right!
Also, while we're on the topic of basketball, don't you guys think this Krzyzewski guy is a pretty good coach?

Marc81
01-04-2015, 11:33 AM

Yes to all the above! He is the worst!

wilko
01-04-2015, 11:40 AM
Lens next Duke compliment should count twice...
His FIRST and his LAST...

devil84
01-04-2015, 12:14 PM
Normally I wouldn't go back and merge a new thread with one that you have to go back over a month to find, but in the interest of showing our new poster that we do, indeed, prefer many announcers over Len Elmore (said with the *tiniest* hint of sarcasm :rolleyes:), I merged this with the old thread.

Also, I figured that with conference play starting, this topic will be revisited a number of times. Feel free to place discussions of announcers here instead of in the game threads -- it'll make both discussions much easier to follow.

BigWayne
01-04-2015, 01:04 PM
I really enjoyed hearing Gminski on the game yesterday. I have enjoyed his calls on non-Duke games as well. One of the better color guys out there in my opinion.

devildeac
01-04-2015, 02:33 PM
Who knows why ESPN does any of the things it does.

$$$$, $$$, $$$$$ and $$.

wavedukefan70s
01-04-2015, 09:54 PM
I could do with out elmore, calhoun, dan schulman,musburger and patrick.my phone will probably make this post very ugly.

77devil
01-05-2015, 09:18 AM

It was announced at the beginning of the season that Elmore and Mike Patrick were moved to the American Conference as their primary assignment plus ACC games on ESPNU on Tuesdays. Assuming ESPN sticks to the plan, we should not see or hear anymore Len for Duke games. Knock on wood.

budwom
01-05-2015, 09:22 AM
An elderly Japanese man once assured me that the mute button on TVs was originally designed to combat Len Elmore, aka Seabiscuit.

elvis14
01-05-2015, 02:03 PM

As others have mentioned, you are not alone. The last game I watched with Elmore announcing (one of the games last week, I think it was Toledo), I caught on to something he was saying that really bothered me. Just about every time an opposing player would make a drive to the hoop, Elmore would say that there was contact. Sometimes he's say there was some contact but no call. Listening to him you'd think Duke was just bumping every guy with the ball all game long with no calls (no wonder everyone things Duke gets all the calls). Once I realized what he was doing I somehow managed to like him even less.

Mike Corey
01-05-2015, 02:11 PM
Plus you can hear some dude behind the announcers yelling "Shane you suck" which isn't very nice.

I wish Len Elmore would just leave Shane alone:
http://nyulocal.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/chris_crocker_leave_britney_alone.jpg

Highlander
01-05-2015, 02:27 PM
Could be worse. We could still be listening to Packer.

Talk about a negative guy! Every great offensive play was a missed defensive assignment. Every steal was a failure to protect the ball. Every fast break was a failure of transition defense.

To Packer a sunny day was a cloud cover failure!

Couldn't stand him.

LOL. Reminded me of this famous call:

After Jeff Capel hit his buzzer beater to send Duke/UNC 1995 into a second overtime:
Vitale (via ESPN feed): (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxsV2wMSao0) (scroll to around 34s): "OHH!!! OHH!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!"
Packer (via RSN feed) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRLxbpPyCo4) (scroll to around 1 min): "Jim, you've gotta foul! You CANNOT allow the man to have that shot!"

Duvall
01-05-2015, 02:28 PM
Speaking of Battier, the first Big Monday of the year means that Battier will be calling the Notre Dame-UNC game tonight, his first trip to the Dean Dome* since this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om7y5MhhjXE

* I mean, I guess. He might have been to the Dean Dome since then, you'd have to ask him.

Saratoga2
01-05-2015, 03:12 PM

I have often commented that I thought Dickie V is a very poor c ommentator. He has his prepared sheets and talks on an on about off topic (not about the game). Woe be it for him to mention who the foul was on or provide any insight into what is happening on the floor. He is the anti Bobby Knight.

I am probably different than many here in that I think Doris Burke really tries to follow the game and provide her insights along the way. I would grade her miles ahead of Dickie V.

I really wonder about Jay Bilas. I know he is an intelligent guy and has a lot of basketball background, but he seems to me to avoid saying much good about this years Duke team. Is he trying to avoid showing favoritism? He simply raves about how great Kentucky is which is irritating.

Seth Greenberg gets a middle grade. He seems to have learned that you need to show personality to get noticed as an announcer. Again, I prefer Bobby Knight who tells it exactly the way he sees things and he sees a lot.

OldPhiKap
01-05-2015, 03:23 PM
I have often commented that I thought Dickie V is a very poor c ommentator. He has his prepared sheets and talks on an on about off topic (not about the game). Woe be it for him to mention who the foul was on or provide any insight into what is happening on the floor. He is the anti Bobby Knight.

I am probably different than many here in that I think Doris Burke really tries to follow the game and provide her insights along the way. I would grade her miles ahead of Dickie V.

I really wonder about Jay Bilas. I know he is an intelligent guy and has a lot of basketball background, but he seems to me to avoid saying much good about this years Duke team. Is he trying to avoid showing favoritism? He simply raves about how great Kentucky is which is irritating.

Seth Greenberg gets a middle grade. He seems to have learned that you need to show personality to get noticed as an announcer. Again, I prefer Bobby Knight who tells it exactly the way he sees things and he sees a lot.

Agree with all of this, although would note that Jay has several positive statements about Duke on Twitter (have not really heard him this year). I think Jay is fine, and is conscious not to sound like a homer. It irks us when he does not see Kentucky or UNC or UConn through our eyes, but that's his job -- independent analysis. I am OK with Jay.

Agree on Doris, she discusses the actual game and is way ahead of Vitale.

Seth, never heard call a game -- his in-studio is fine.

Dickie V, well -- love the enthusiasm, and for the casual follower he is good. If you watch a ton of ball, though, the same stories and shtick over and over is tough.

I will watch a game I don't care about to listen to Coach Knight. 'nuf said.

Saratoga2
01-05-2015, 03:43 PM
Agree with all of this, although would note that Jay has several positive statements about Duke on Twitter (have not really heard him this year). I think Jay is fine, and is conscious not to sound like a homer. It irks us when he does not see Kentucky or UNC or UConn through our eyes, but that's his job -- independent analysis. I am OK with Jay.

Dickie V, well -- love the enthusiasm, and for the casual follower he is good. If you watch a ton of ball, though, the same stories and shtick over and over is tough.

I believe a year or two ago there was a thread in which folks listed the many Vitale sayings that are so much a part of his schtick. It was an amusing string for those of us who find him unbearable. There are so many such as diaper dandy, tri-fect-ahhh, pass the rock baby. No need to repeat all that here, but this thread jogged my memory.

brevity
01-05-2015, 04:04 PM

In the recent past, as college basketball was adjusting to one-and-done, Jay Bilas would comment on how there were no great teams in a given season. Sure, he would appreciate the parity and the unpredictability, but part of him missed outright dominance. So I'm okay with him being consistent and lauding this Kentucky team.

The last thing I'd want is a Duke homer in the media. Jay Bilas overcorrects, but I'd rather have that than the alternative. It's good to see Bilas, Williams, and Battier united in a "Duke is my point of reference, but I have a lot of interests" approach.

Henderson
01-05-2015, 04:08 PM

Nailed it.

What will folks say about Dickie V., Len, and Doris when they pass?

I don't much care about announcers, except for Dickie V. (Love ya man, but take a valium; time may have said bye bye) or Billy Packer (probably seemed more of an a-hole than he was). The rest are pretty blah blah blah, lemme watch the game. But I'll tune in to Bobby Knight. And I hold no ill will even for Packer. Dude was just doing a job. Just not well.

I like Doris Burke. Some people don't react to her well, and I can't argue with a person's viscera. I don't think it's a sexism thing, but we do like the traditional voices in sports. And hers is female.

Len Elmore knows more about basketball than I ever will. Great broadcaster of Duke games? No. But cut the guy a break. NBA player, Harvard Law degree (spare the jokes; we've heard 'em), and a long TV career. So how does your career stack up? Plus there's the mute button whenever his mike is live. :cool:

Bottom line: I don't care much about announcers, but this is a way harsh crowd sometimes.

Think about this: When one of these folks passes, what will you say? And will you be proud of what you said now?

TruBlu
01-06-2015, 08:32 AM
Dickie V bought me a beer at a local Durham watering hole after a Duke victory, because of the Duke gear I was wearing. Can't see Len Elmore or Billy Packer ever doing that.

moonpie23
01-06-2015, 08:39 AM
folks over on IC weren't impressed with their Daddy (http://northcarolina.scout.com/forums/1410-basketball/13547360-battier-is-a-terrible-announcer?s=78)

oldnavy
01-06-2015, 09:03 AM
Jay Bilas has too many axes to grind IMO. In one game this year he went on and on about the ability of a team to call a time out in order to avoid a 10 second backcourt violation....

Really? This gets you all worked up? He said, "everybody" agrees that the rule needs to be changed. Huh? The team in question used a TO so it's not like they got away with something for nothing... would he do away with calling a TO on 5 second calls for inbounds or closely guarded as well?

He also posted/blogged or something the other day (saw it on a sidebar on ESPN.com) that FT shooters get 10 seconds and you only get 5 for closely guarded and inbounds.... where does he get this stuff? Talk about minutia that has little to NO IMPACT on a game!

Maybe Jay wants controversy, which is why his muted response to UNC's issue(s) puzzles me.

Indoor66
01-06-2015, 09:24 AM
Jay Bilas has too many axes to grind IMO. In one game this year he went on and on about the ability of a team to call a time out in order to avoid a 10 second backcourt violation....

Really? This gets you all worked up? He said, "everybody" agrees that the rule needs to be changed. Huh? The team in question used a TO so it's not like they got away with something for nothing... would he do away with calling a TO on 5 second calls for inbounds or closely guarded as well?

He also posted/blogged or something the other day (saw it on a sidebar on ESPN.com) that FT shooters get 10 seconds and you only get 5 for closely guarded and inbounds.... where does he get this stuff? Talk about minutia that has little to NO IMPACT on a game!

Maybe Jay wants controversy, which is why his muted response to UNC's issue(s) puzzles me.

I agree with you. Jay gets lost on meaningless issues. He worries too much about the grass and too little about the lawn.

OldPhiKap
01-06-2015, 09:27 AM

Jay is opinionated and he gets paid to fill time by talking. He's like a geeky Charles Barkley.

I think he respects Roy and UNC, in a way that fans like me do not. That's fine with me. "Don't hate the playa, hate the game" -- I hate the playa, he hates the game.

Jay is not perfect, but he is one of the more thoughtful guys out there who is not a former coach of Indiana. I would rather have him going off on a minutia tangent than Vitale going on about the dinner he had last week with Lou Carnesecca, oh Lou, there was a coach there, my friend, he brought a warmth and vigor to a program when it was struggling and the sweaters, oh, how be brightened the sideline with those sweaters, and the dinner was fabulous d'y'know his wife makes the best ziti, the best ziti this side of Brooklyn and the sauce. oh the sauce was as rich and as smooth as that diaper dandy out there who just scored three baskets while I was rambling on . . . .

oldnavy
01-06-2015, 10:05 AM
Jay is opinionated and he gets paid to fill time by talking. He's like a geeky Charles Barkley.

I think he respects Roy and UNC, in a way that fans like me do not. That's fine with me. "Don't hate the playa, hate the game" -- I hate the playa, he hates the game.

Jay is not perfect, but he is one of the more thoughtful guys out there who is not a former coach of Indiana. I would rather have him going off on a minutia tangent than Vitale going on about the dinner he had last week with Lou Carnesecca, oh Lou, there was a coach there, my friend, he brought a warmth and vigor to a program when it was struggling and the sweaters, oh, how be brightened the sideline with those sweaters, and the dinner was fabulous d'y'know his wife makes the best ziti, the best ziti this side of Brooklyn and the sauce. oh the sauce was as rich and as smooth as that diaper dandy out there who just scored three baskets while I was rambling on . . . .

Totally agree, I don't like either extreme. To me there is plenty of things to talk about that pertain to the game that is going on... granted in blow outs it might be hard to keep the commentary going, but for heavens sake talk about the block/charge calls or something.

Trying to gin up interest in something as boring and meaningless than having a 10 sec call averted by using a TO is a bit much, especially for someone as bright as Jay. Heck, if he wanted to pick this apart, the better argument would be, why have a 10 sec rule in the first place since you have a shot clock??? If a team wants to burn 20 seconds of the clock in the backcourt, let 'em!

For the record, I don't like ANY announcers, some I dislike more than others, but they all add very little to my game viewing experience (exception Bob Knight when he calls games).

Highlander
01-06-2015, 10:11 AM

I wonder how he feels about the NBA rule where a timeout at the end of game allows you to advance the ball to midcourt for the subsequent throw in. Agree otherwise. It's a pretty minor thing to get worked up about, much like alternating possession.

Duvall
01-06-2015, 12:03 PM

Bilas wants controversies, as long as they don't damage a brand in which his Disney employer has invested hundreds of millions of dollars. Bilas is nothing if not a loyal company man.

rasputin
01-08-2015, 12:06 PM
Elmore, while calling a non-Duke game last night, was actually pretty good, IMO. I don't even remember which game he was calling, but I remember thinking to myself that when he's not spewing Duke-hate, he has something to offer.

cf-62
01-08-2015, 12:59 PM
Trying to gin up interest in something as boring and meaningless than having a 10 sec call averted by using a TO is a bit much, especially for someone as bright as Jay. Heck, if he wanted to pick this apart, the better argument would be, why have a 10 sec rule in the first place since you have a shot clock??? If a team wants to burn 20 seconds of the clock in the backcourt, let 'em!

At LEAST there's a purpose to revoking this rule. It IS the most nonsensical rule in college basketball. You have ten seconds to get the ball across mid-court. Oh, unless you call a timeout. Then you have an ADDITIONAL 10 seconds. Oh, unless you call another timeout. Then you have ANOTHER 10 seconds. Thus, playing fantastic defense in the back-court can get you -- nothing -- except you forced them to call a timeout. Whoopidy dooo.

As opposed to Vitale's inane rants about dumping the alternating possession. "oooohhhh, good defense, and it wasn't rewarded." I notice he never says it when the defense actually GETS the ball: "oooooh, good strength by the offensive player to not just have the ball taken from him, but the defense gets it anyway." Jump balls are about as random as how high the ref throws it, so there's no reason to expect it to be any more of a legitimate arbiter of who DESERVES the ball than alternating the possession.

OldPhiKap
01-08-2015, 01:31 PM
Elmore, while calling a non-Duke game last night, was actually pretty good, IMO. I don't even remember which game he was calling, but I remember thinking to myself that when he's not spewing Duke-hate, he has something to offer.

GT-Syracuse.

weezie
01-08-2015, 01:42 PM
I thought of our Lennie last night vs. wake, wouldn't he have just loved that back and forth game? I'll bet he was bummed to miss it.

MChambers
01-08-2015, 02:20 PM
At LEAST there's a purpose to revoking this rule. It IS the most nonsensical rule in college basketball. You have ten seconds to get the ball across mid-court. Oh, unless you call a timeout. Then you have an ADDITIONAL 10 seconds. Oh, unless you call another timeout. Then you have ANOTHER 10 seconds. Thus, playing fantastic defense in the back-court can get you -- nothing -- except you forced them to call a timeout. Whoopidy dooo.
Isn't this also true of a five second call while in possession or inbounding? I get Bilas's point, but I really don't think it's that big a deal. Forcing someone to call a timeout has value.

BobBender
01-08-2015, 02:29 PM

I know it may be blashphemy here, but Shane is just not good. He seems ill-prepared, has a rapid, high-pitched vocal delivery, and says some amateurish things. Listening to his color is like listening to HS kids doing a game on community access televison. Maybe the most amateurish moment was ESPN showing Shane's kid togged out in Hurricane garb as the old man was doing color on Saturday night's UM-UVa game. Really?

Henderson
01-08-2015, 03:03 PM
For the record, I don't like ANY announcers, some I dislike more than others, but they all add very little to my game viewing experience (exception Bob Knight when he calls games).

Maybe someone who doesn't like ANY meat isn't in the best position to critique someone's pot roast? :cool:

I know it may be blashphemy here, but Shane is just not good. He seems ill-prepared, has a rapid, high-pitched vocal delivery, and says some amateurish things. Listening to his color is like listening to HS kids doing a game on community access televison. Maybe the most amateurish moment was ESPN showing Shane's kid togged out in Hurricane garb as the old man was doing color on Saturday night's UM-UVa game. Really?

Not blasphemy; your comments seem pretty fair to me. I think Shane maybe should have spent more time in ESPN training before they rolled him out. I do hope he gets better with experience, or he'll be organizing that Senate campaign earlier than expected. But on your last point, in fairness, he's not responsible for what tape the producers cut to while he's doing commentary. Or at least that's my assumption.

BigWayne
01-08-2015, 03:53 PM

As opposed to Vitale's inane rants about dumping the alternating possession. "oooohhhh, good defense, and it wasn't rewarded." I notice he never says it when the defense actually GETS the ball: "oooooh, good strength by the offensive player to not just have the ball taken from him, but the defense gets it anyway." Jump balls are about as random as how high the ref throws it, so there's no reason to expect it to be any more of a legitimate arbiter of who DESERVES the ball than alternating the possession.

Really for a different thread, but I love jump balls and they are not random. This is the one thing about the NBA I like compared to college ball. In-game jump balls reward big guys willing to scrap for the ball. They are also another game situation requiring something that should still be a part of what people refer to as "Basketball IQ." The way teams approach jump balls now is sad and pathetic compared to the way we learned it back before alternate possession came in.

Duvall
01-08-2015, 04:32 PM
ESPN is so weird. (http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2015/01/espn-cfp-megacast-more-than-12-ways-to-follow-national-championship-across-espn-platforms/)

ESPN Voices: The ESPNU telecast will take fans into a specially-created viewing theatre with a cross-section of ESPN on-air personalities from outside college football responsibilities as they watch and discuss the game, including Jay Bilas, Aaron Boone, Julie Foudy, Barry Melrose, Mark Schlereth and Michael Wilbon.

Henderson
01-08-2015, 04:42 PM
Julie Foudy can occupy my specially created viewing theatre anytime she wants.

killerleft
01-08-2015, 04:45 PM
Really for a different thread, but I love jump balls and they are not random. This is the one thing about the NBA I like compared to college ball. In-game jump balls reward big guys willing to scrap for the ball. They are also another game situation requiring something that should still be a part of what people refer to as "Basketball IQ." The way teams approach jump balls now is sad and pathetic compared to the way we learned it back before alternate possession came in.

Muggsy Bogues has a bone to pick with you. Of course, what would we expect from a guy named BigWayne:)

sagegrouse
01-08-2015, 04:55 PM

Jay is not perfect, but he is one of the more thoughtful guys out there who is not a former coach of Indiana. I would rather have him going off on a minutia tangent than Vitale going on about the dinner he had last week with Lou Carnesecca . .

Totally agree, I don't like either extreme. To me there is plenty of things to talk about that pertain to the game that is going on... granted in blow outs it might be hard to keep the commentary going, but for heavens sake talk about the block/charge calls or something.

Bilas wants controversies, as long as they don't damage a brand in which his Disney employer has invested hundreds of millions of dollars. Bilas is nothing if not a loyal company man.

You guys are welcome to your opinion and to blow off steam any way you want. I like a lot of things about Jay Bilas:

He's a really good commentator, a Duke grad, and has risen to be #1 at ESPN.

He is one of the chief advocates of reform in the NCAA and has displayed pretty impressive clout, like on the Johnny Manziel jerseys..

He is a forceful advocate on any subject, like the litigator he is (or was). Some topics are of small overall importance, but he doesn't go out to lose any argument.

He had a strong academic record at Duke and Duke Law, and he's added a generation, as his daughter is an undergrad (surely she hasn't graduated yet).

Other people think well of him -- Rick Pitino wanted him to be the commissioner of the Big East a few years ago --- "Just pay him whatever he asks."

An, "oh, by the way" question: When Mike Gminski criticizes Jahlil for lack of movement and lack of effort, as he did last night, don't you believe he has credibility?

Henderson
01-08-2015, 05:12 PM
You guys are welcome to your opinion and to blow off steam any way you want. I like a lot of things about Jay Bilas:

He is one of the chief advocates of reform in the NCAA and has displayed pretty impressive clout, like on the Johnny Manziel jerseys..

He is a forceful advocate on any subject, like the litigator he is (or was). Some topics are of small overall importance, but he doesn't go out to lose any argument.

He had a strong academic record at Duke and Duke Law, and he's added a generation, as his daughter is an undergrad (surely she hasn't graduated yet).

Other people think well of him -- Rick Pitino wanted him to be the commissioner of the Big East a few years ago --- "Just pay him whatever he asks."

An, "oh, by the way" question: When Mike Gminski criticizes Jahlil for lack of movement and lack of effort, as he did last night, don't you believe he has credibility?

I like Jay Bilas as a commentator too. He knows some stuff and comes prepared. And he has some experience as a player.

Same with G-man.

I don't spend any energy vetting their comments here or there. They're solid, fair, and ecumenical, and that's all I ask. I always learn a bit from them, though that may say more about me than them.

But was Jay ever a litigator? Not that it matters for this thread, but he actually practiced?

sagegrouse
01-08-2015, 05:21 PM
I like Jay Bilas as a commentator too. He knows some stuff and comes prepared. And he has some experience as a player.

Same with G-man.

I don't spend any energy vetting their comments here or there. They're solid, fair, and ecumenical, and that's all I ask. I always learn a bit from them, though that may say more about me than them.

But was Jay ever a litigator? Not that it matters for this thread, but he actually practiced?

Yep. Moore and Van Allen (http://www.mvalaw.com/professionals-30.html) in Charlotte. The bio seems to imply that he currently active in litigation, but parsing it carefully, I believe he is not. He maintains an of counsel position there to retain his legal license (and 'cuz it's good for MVA).

Kindly, Sage

OldPhiKap
01-08-2015, 05:21 PM

My post you cited was in support of Jay, FWIW. We are not in disagreement.

-jk
01-08-2015, 05:55 PM

Meh. Shane being in Miami (regardless of team) is pretty much all Zeke can recall. Give the kid (and espn) a break.

-jk

Duvall
01-08-2015, 06:00 PM
I know it may be blashphemy here, but Shane is just not good. He seems ill-prepared, has a rapid, high-pitched vocal delivery, and says some amateurish things. Listening to his color is like listening to HS kids doing a game on community access televison.

Well, he isn't quite good enough yet at telling us what to think about everything, but Shane's got time to develop.

Maybe the most amateurish moment was ESPN showing Shane's kid togged out in Hurricane garb as the old man was doing color on Saturday night's UM-UVa game. Really?

I can't believe you actually care about this.

vick
01-08-2015, 06:55 PM

I think you've said this before. Can you elaborate a bit on it? I mean, I think the following two statements are close to indisputable:

1. ESPN makes a ton of money on college sports (e.g., the two highest rated programs in cable history being the two NCAA playoff games)
2. Jay Bilas is highly critical of the current economics of college athletics

Now, I don't know about your experience, but none of the companies I've worked for would be enthusiastic about an employee publicly calling a primary revenue stream a "cartel, (https://twitter.com/jaybilas/status/387019198808879104)" "untrustworthy, (https://twitter.com/jaybilas/status/530708232042733568)" "unethical (https://twitter.com/jaybilas/status/317062108770627584)," etc.. So can you help me out here?

Duvall
01-08-2015, 07:17 PM
I think you've said this before. Can you elaborate a bit on it? I mean, I think the following two statements are close to indisputable:

1. ESPN makes a ton of money on college sports (e.g., the two highest rated programs in cable history being the two NCAA playoff games)
2. Jay Bilas is highly critical of the current economics of college athletics

Now, I don't know about your experience, but none of the companies I've worked for would be enthusiastic about an employee publicly calling a primary revenue stream a "cartel, (https://twitter.com/jaybilas/status/387019198808879104)" "untrustworthy, (https://twitter.com/jaybilas/status/530708232042733568)" "unethical (https://twitter.com/jaybilas/status/317062108770627584)," etc.. So can you help me out here?

The NCAA has little to nothing to do with any of the sporting events on which ESPN makes money, which are operated by the conferences. Indeed, weakening or eliminating the NCAA would simply shift power to the leagues, and to the cable network that funds them.

Turk
01-08-2015, 07:40 PM
I would like to turn our attention to the Pac-12, the "conference of champions" (wtf?) as my idol Bill Walton referred to it last night while providing color during the Colorado @ Utah game. I didn't have access to the Duke / Wake nailbiter, so I had to make do with the best available game on my hotel TV.

I picked up this game early in the second half, when the Utes had built a comfortable lead. With Utah dominating and the outcome in no doubt, Walton clearly lost interest and started freestyling. (loosely paraphrased, not exact quotes, my favorite bits as I recall then 24 hrs later)

Walton: "Dave, I know you watch a lot of video, but do you read?"
Pasch (nervously): "I'm not sure where you're going with that."
Walton: "You should read 'Down the Great Unknown' by John Wesley Powell (NOT John Wesley Harding, in case you got confused)."
Pasch: "I don't know that one, but I'll add it to my list."
Walton: "He was a one-armed Civil War general who led the first American expedition on the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon. What a fantastic story"
Pasch: "Wow. What does that have do with this game?"

<after commercial break>

Pasch (obviously clued in by someone in the truck): "I do recall that 'John Wesley Harding' is a Bob Dylan album. I could see how people could get that mixed up with John Wesley Powell."
Walton (salivating over batting practice fastball): "I was on tour with Bob last summer when he played Durango. Have you ever been there? What about Dinosaur?"
Pasch (after some triage about when / where he's been in Utah and Colorado): "Nope, I guess I've just been to the airports, the Jazz arena, and the Huntsman Center here."
Walton: "Then you've never been to Utah. You'll have to come with me on the Logan to Moab bike ride. It's like the LA to San Diego ride, only better."

Walton went on additional riffs about former NBA player and Utah coach Larry Kryskoviak's unusual pregame rituals:
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12136367

Pasch, on safer ground, then works "sweetgrass" into the conversation whenever he can. Walton, just for giggles, also works the phase "Down the Great Unknown" into the conversation wherever it suited him.

When the camera pans to the uniform numbers in the Huntsman arena, Professor Walton went into a lecture about Billy "The Hill" McGill, who allegedly invented the jump hook during summer pickup on an L.A. playground against Wilt and other pros. It's undeniably true that he died earlier this year, and was a #1 pick for the Chicago Zephyrs. Walton also adds that his 38.8 ppg average for Utahj in 61-62 makes him tied for 3rd in NCAA history, behind Pistol Pete (no duh), Frank Selvy, and Johnny Neumann (no, not THAT Johnny Newman, Knicks fans, and no, not THAT John Neumann, you mackerel-snapping Papists). Having read Simmons' "Book of Basketball" from cover to cover, I don't remember any reference to Billy McGill, and I can say with certainty that I never heard of him growing up as a kid. Walton eulogized him as well as Jethro Pugh, the Cowboys defense tackle who passed away yesterday. (I'll have to dig out my copy of Terry Pluto's "Loose Balls" book about the ABA to see how McGill shows up there.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_McGill

So here's why I posted all this trivia on this thread: Shulman, our own Bilastrator, and Walton will be a 3-man crew calling next Thursday's UCLA @ USC game. That sounds like appointment TV viewing to me. Clear your DVR's!

weezie
01-08-2015, 07:47 PM
Too bad they'll be wasted on a snooze game.

Turk
01-08-2015, 07:58 PM
Too bad they'll be wasted on a snooze game.

Well, isn't that exactly the point? If the game sucks, bring the A-list announcers if they have nothing better to do. You have the old Deadhead SoCal legend paired with the Young Jeezy-quoting mainstream SoCal critically acclaimed basketball analyst. The mind boggles at the possibilities. And also, the over-under of Coach Wooden references is 10 (per half). You also have an even-money wager between who gets the greater number of references: Coach Wooden or Coach K. "All predictions wrong or your money back!"

Henderson
01-08-2015, 08:10 PM
mackerel-snapping Papists

Really?

weezie
01-08-2015, 08:45 PM
I seem to spend a fair amount of time in a state of bogglement these days.

OldPhiKap
01-08-2015, 09:00 PM
Really?

Especially since his feast day was this past Monday (January 5).

burnspbesq
01-08-2015, 09:33 PM
Walton is on the UCLA-Stanford game tonight. He's pretty restrained so far. Which is good.

Acymetric
01-08-2015, 10:45 PM
Walton is fantastic.

BobBender
01-09-2015, 07:43 AM
Well, he isn't quite good enough yet at telling us what to think about everything, but Shane's got time to develop.

I can't believe you actually care about this.

Let me frame it this way for you who don't see that as inappropriate: Duke is playing UNC at the Dean Dome, and Len Elmore is doing the game and his kid is shown in the stands, decked out in a Tyler Hansbrough jersey. I don't think that would go over big here, as Elmore is already seen as anti-Duke.
There are so many Blue Devils in the college basketball media that it is important that they are seen as impartial commentators, and that is not the case.

elvis14
01-09-2015, 01:42 PM
There are so many Blue Devils in the college basketball media that it is important that they are seen as impartial commentators, and that is not the case.

Why is it important that they are seen as impartial commentators? It seems like a different standard than the standard for commentators from other schools. I'm a Duke fan, I want to hear some pro-Duke homerism to balance out all the pro-Cheater homerism.

Turk
01-09-2015, 05:00 PM
Really?

Especially since his feast day was this past Monday (January 5).

Yeah, maybe that wisecrack was too heavy-handed, especially since the Sisters of Charity and the Christian Brothers gave me the tools and skills to get into Duke (and even graduate!) eons ago. "Bless me, Father, for I have sinned..."

captmojo
01-10-2015, 12:11 PM
...to get to Bill Walton. If I want to be watching a documentary based on some particular intellectual pursuit, he'd be fine. I was watching a damned basketball game. You, as I understand things, are supposed to provide insight to the goings on before me on the screen. Though the story of your bike ride along the California coast is a nice story, IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS GAME! Your recounting of OTHER events, kept those of us that were interested in THE GAME we're watching, from the benefit of hearing about the events unfolding on the court, while the ball is in play, with official rulings going on that we have to guess about. Shut up. There is a time and place for everything you could share. This just wasn't it.

I was impressed with Utah's play.

Doris, bless her heart, seems to love nothing more than the sound of her own voice. She does offer valuable insight on issues. But, much like myself, be more concise, please. Many not understood whistles, are going off while we are left waiting for her to finish her thoughts.

Coach Knight, I have nothing but high praise for. The same goes for newby Cory Anderson.

In the studio, Kudos also go out to Adrian Branch. A turtle homer, but he tells it like it is.

Okay. I'm through.

killerleft
01-10-2015, 01:06 PM
...to get to Bill Walton. If I want to be watching a documentary based on some particular intellectual pursuit, he'd be fine. I was watching a damned basketball game. You, as I understand things, are supposed to provide insight to the goings on before me on the screen. Though the story of your bike ride along the California coast is a nice story, IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS GAME! Your recounting of OTHER events, kept those of us that were interested in THE GAME we're watching, from the benefit of hearing about the events unfolding on the court, while the ball is in play, with official rulings going on that we have to guess about. Shut up. There is a time and place for everything you could share. This just wasn't it.

I was impressed with Utah's play.

Doris, bless her heart, seems to love nothing more than the sound of her own voice. She does offer valuable insight on issues. But, much like myself, be more concise, please. Many not understood whistles, are going off while we are left waiting for her to finish her thoughts.

Coach Knight, I have nothing but high praise for. The same goes for newby Cory Anderson.

In the studio, Kudos also go out to Adrian Branch. A turtle homer, but he tells it like it is.

Okay. I'm through.

I feel the same about Walton. He's like Dickie V. More interesting when off-topic, but no less infuriating when it comes to leaving out needed information.

I watched Stanford-UCLA because one of my all-time favorites was coaching Stanford. Walton was passable. But if he'd been doing a Duke game I would been unamused by the anecdotes and trivia at the expense of ignoring stretches of the game.

DukieInKansas
01-12-2015, 11:28 AM
I have to confess to really wanting to slap whichever announcer yesterday kept bringing up the loss to Mercer. :mad: If I knew which one of them kept saying it, I'd mention them by name. If I had turned it into a drinking game, I would probably have had to stay home today due to a hangover.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
01-12-2015, 01:03 PM
I have to confess to really wanting to slap whichever announcer yesterday kept bringing up the loss to Mercer. :mad: If I knew which one of them kept saying it, I'd mention them by name. If I had turned it into a drinking game, I would probably have had to stay home today due to a hangover.

I expect this to be a common theme whenever we are losing in the coming seasons, they still talked about lehigh until mercer, so get used to it. Only way to quiet the talk is to win a championship real quick... like this April. Then people can talk about how we won the title again.

TruBlu
01-12-2015, 04:12 PM
I expect this to be a common theme whenever we are losing in the coming seasons, they still talked about lehigh until mercer, so get used to it. Only way to quiet the talk is to win a championship real quick... like this April. Then people can talk about how we won the title again.

. . . or they can talk about how the Butler (or whoever we play) shot "almost went in", with utmost disappointment in their voice.

But I do like your idea of winning a championship real quick.

captmojo
01-13-2015, 10:56 AM

Ahhh...the favorite talk of the Tar Heel! Phunnie how soon they forget Weber State. :cool:

The auto-correct spelling feature in display, above.

sagegrouse
01-13-2015, 12:17 PM

Gee! We've lost three games in a row at the PNC Center (PaNiC anyone?), including an NCAA game to a 14th seed and two double-digit losses to a lightly regarded Wolfpack team. Jesoos!! What else do you expect them to talk about?

AIRFORCEDUKIE
01-13-2015, 12:30 PM
Gee! We've lost three games in a row at the PNC Center (PaNiC anyone?), including an NCAA game to a 14th seed and two double-digit losses to a lightly regarded Wolfpack team. Jesoos!! What else do you expect them to talk about?

The Game, the weather, how we match up with Kentucky, how NC State can't miss all of a sudden, how awesome I look in my new sunglasses, how Coach K doesn't have a strand of grey hair yet, Klay Thompson's Girlfriend, how Seth Curry should be on an NBA roster, how smoking hot Scarlette Johansson looks in the new Avengers Age of Ultron trailer, you know whatever...

jv001
01-13-2015, 12:44 PM

The talk about losing to Mercer at PNC Center did not bother me one bit. If Duke doesn't want announcers talking about loses like that, then win the darn game. But I was bothered by Greg Anthony pretty much bias toward State. The other guy that I'd never heard of made some pretty stupid statements. I've grown accustomed to some non-Duke announcers rooting against the Blue Devils. Most of the time, I just turn the volume down. However this past Sunday, I couldn't because I was watching the game at someone else's home. GoDuke!

elvis14
01-13-2015, 01:29 PM
The talk about losing to Mercer at PNC Center did not bother me one bit. If Duke doesn't want announcers talking about loses like that, then win the darn game. But I was bothered by Greg Anthony pretty much bias toward State. The other guy that I'd never heard of made some pretty stupid statements. I've grown accustomed to some non-Duke announcers rooting against the Blue Devils. Most of the time, I just turn the volume down. However this past Sunday, I couldn't because I was watching the game at someone else's home. GoDuke!

I hate to say it but with that game it would have been hard not show bias toward State....I mean they were kicking our butts!

AIRFORCEDUKIE
01-13-2015, 04:33 PM
On the subject of Greg Anthony, you can't blame the guy for having some hard feelings about Duke. I mean we did end his College Career on a sour note, and basically ended the UNLV era of college hoops. However I think he was just more in the moment and he actually has a lot of respect for our beloved Dukies. Heres a link and the relevant quote from Anthony about his battles with Duke and how he feels about it.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2014/nov/20/unlv-duke-greg-anthony/

And, unlike most UNLV fans, don’t expect Anthony to have anything bad to say about Duke. He raves of the Duke program and longtime coach Mike Krzyzewski.

“I love my school, my city and want them desperately to do well,” Anthony said. “I’m really impressed with Duke and what coach K has done with his career. I have a tremendous amount of respect for what he has accomplished in the game of basketball. He’s an amazing person.”

This was a quote from right before we almost played them in the CVC tourney.

BigWayne
01-13-2015, 04:46 PM
I feel the same about Walton. He's like Dickie V. More interesting when off-topic, but no less infuriating when it comes to leaving out needed information.

I watched Stanford-UCLA because one of my all-time favorites was coaching Stanford. Walton was passable. But if he'd been doing a Duke game I would been unamused by the anecdotes and trivia at the expense of ignoring stretches of the game.

Yes, in a blowout game, I would prefer Walton over Dickie V. But I would also probably be hitting the FF button anyway.

gumbomoop
01-13-2015, 08:31 PM
Waiting for Miami, watching some of Butler-Seton Hall.

Spanarkel is excellent. Used to think his voice a little bland, his pace not snappy enough. I've changed my mind, maybe because he's just improved. I've always liked him, but tonight he goes up to top-notch for me, with Bonner and Gminski.

Dukehky
01-14-2015, 12:39 AM
I hope Len Elmore bites down on a piece of rock candy and breaks his jaw, requiring it to get wired shut. Then I hope that Bette Midler's character in Hocus Pocus has a relationship with him, and he subsequently cheats on her with Sarah Jessica Parker's character. Upon finding this out, Bette Midler's character sews his lips together, preventing him from speaking for over 200 years.

WiJoe
01-14-2015, 12:44 AM
I hope Len Elmore bites down on a piece of rock candy and breaks his jaw, requiring it to get wired shut. Then I hope that Bette Midler's character in Hocus Pocus has a relationship with him, and he subsequently cheats on her with Sarah Jessica Parker's character. Upon finding this out, Bette Midler's character sews his lips together, preventing him from speaking for over 200 years.

I'm OK with that

sagegrouse
01-14-2015, 08:27 AM

But did you hear Elmore say during the first half last night, "All the calls are going against Duke?" I knew we were in trouble then.

jv001
01-14-2015, 08:30 AM
But did you hear Elmore say during the first half last night, "All the calls are going against Duke?" I knew we were in trouble then.

Len made one good observation during the game. He said Jahlil should break down the lane after he passes the ball from the top of the key. I think the failure to do this is part of what Coach K is talking about when he mentioned standing around. GoDuke!

robed deity
01-14-2015, 04:12 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/NdotSmitty/status/555213177710182400

Nolan agrees.

freshmanjs
01-17-2015, 07:56 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2015/01/17/greg-anthony-cbs-analyst-arrested-soliciting-prostitute/21908907/

oops...

arnie
01-17-2015, 08:23 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2015/01/17/greg-anthony-cbs-analyst-arrested-soliciting-prostitute/21908907/

oops...

I've usually enjoyed Anthony's commentary - he's seems fair and doesn't have predetermined themes or biases. Seems odd that celebs like Woods and others have to resort to prostitutes.

sagegrouse
01-17-2015, 09:27 AM

oops...

I've usually enjoyed Anthony's commentary - he's seems fair and doesn't have predetermined themes or biases. Seems odd that celebs like Woods and others have to resort to prostitutes.

Greg Anthony was arrested in DC for soliciting a prostitute. He was scheduled to work the Maryland-Michigan State game today in College Park. He will undoubtedly be replaced and suspended from CBS.

jv001
01-17-2015, 09:36 AM
Greg Anthony was arrested in DC for soliciting a prostitute. He was scheduled to work the Maryland-Michigan State game today in College Park. He will undoubtedly be replaced and suspended from CBS.

Maybe CBS will trade Greg to ESPN for Len Elmore. If I was CBS, I'd ask for an announcer to be named later. GoDuke!

freshmanjs
01-17-2015, 09:39 AM
Maybe CBS will trade Greg to ESPN for Len Elmore. If I was CBS, I'd ask for an announcer to be named later. GoDuke!

ESPN already fired Greg once...

jv001
01-17-2015, 10:18 AM
ESPN already fired Greg once...

Good reason to ask for an announcer to be named later, :cool: GoDuke!

Duvall
01-17-2015, 11:36 AM
Somewhere in one of the nicer crypts in the Charlotte area, a phone rings...

gam7
01-17-2015, 04:06 PM
I have to admit that griping about announcers is one of my biggest pet peeves on this board but definitely criticizing things they say is fair game. Did anyone else find it inappropriate when vitale did his over the top "OH... OH...OH, LOUISVILLE HIT A SHOT!! THE CROWD IS GOING NUTS BECAUSE THEY JUST HIT ONE SHOT!" routine while they were struggling? If I were a louisville fan, I would have been incensed. Sad to see him resort to his canned routines, especially in a way that came across as rubbing it in.

jv001
01-17-2015, 04:25 PM
I have to admit that griping about announcers is one of my biggest pet peeves on this board but definitely criticizing things they say is fair game. Did anyone else find it inappropriate when vitale did his over the top "OH... OH...OH, LOUISVILLE HIT A SHOT!! THE CROWD IS GOING NUTS BECAUSE THEY JUST HIT ONE SHOT!" routine while they were struggling? If I were a louisville fan, I would have been incensed. Sad to see him resort to his canned routines, especially in a way that came across as rubbing it in.

Louisville dunked on their end of the court and Duke promptly went back down and hit a 3 pointer. As the game started to go to a timeout, Dickie V. said, I'd trade a dunk for a 3 pointer anytime. He might but I'll take 3 points over 2 any trip down the court. Now he could have said I'll take a dunk shot over a 3 point attempt anytime, but he didn't say that. That was time I didn't have the TV mute button on. GoDuke!

freshmanjs
01-17-2015, 05:19 PM
Louisville dunked on their end of the court and Duke promptly went back down and hit a 3 pointer. As the game started to go to a timeout, Dickie V. said, I'd trade a dunk for a 3 pointer anytime. He might but I'll take 3 points over 2 any trip down the court. Now he could have said I'll take a dunk shot over a 3 point attempt anytime, but he didn't say that. That was time I didn't have the TV mute button on. GoDuke!

he said the opposite.

jv001
01-17-2015, 06:03 PM
he said the opposite.

I DVR'd the game and I'll check and see. You could very well be correct. I'll let you know by Monday. GoDuke!

_Gary
01-17-2015, 06:32 PM
he said the opposite.

Yep. That's correct.

KandG
01-17-2015, 08:02 PM

I thought he was just being playfully sarcastic...didn't have any problem with that particular piece of schtick because Louisville was absolutely awful shooting the ball and the Cards draining a 3 pointer probably did shock just about everyone at the game and watching on television. Especially Louisville's own fans.

If Vitale had done something like that when Duke made a shot vs Miami after going down 20 (or when Angel Rodriguez had missed a shot after draining all those crazy 3s), I might have been annoyed, but more because of the state of affairs, not because Dickie V was doing his usual histrionics. Love it or hate it, he's doing this thing, and I still find him far more tolerable than the dour, hypercritical Elmore types.

In the past, these threads evaluating announcers according to some code of impartiality or bias toward Duke were easily my least favorite part (and the most IC-like thing) about an otherwise great forum. With that said, the signal to noise ratio on this particular thread is better than usual, because the criteria for a good announcer seems more fluid and open than in past threads of this type.

jv001
01-17-2015, 09:26 PM
he said the opposite.

My apology to Mr. Vitale. I was incorrect. He said, don't trade the 3 for the dunk. He might have even thrown in a "Baby". I had the volume down on the TV, plus my hearing is not what it used to be. GoDuke!

Turk
01-17-2015, 10:22 PM

The young Turks thought that bit was funny, and I thought it was the most original thing Coach Vitale has come up with in quite some time. A little later, they flashed the graphic that Louisville was 3-21 from deep, plus they missed a lot of shots in the paint.

Also, I can't tell Dave O'Brien and Dan Shulman apart.

brevity
01-17-2015, 11:53 PM
Also, I can't tell Dave O'Brien and Dan Shulman apart.

Blame Reebok (http://mentalfloss.com/article/31401/remembering-reeboks-dan-and-dave-campaign-20-years-later)?

killerleft
01-18-2015, 02:11 PM
Mike 'Hoggy' Hogewood just mis-identified the stogie-totin' statue dude in front of the Duke Chapel as Eddie 'Matchbook' Cameron.:D

Edit: I added the matchbook descriptor.

Turk
01-23-2015, 08:59 PM
Caught Walton doing Arizona @ Stanford. Stanford gave them a great fight but wore down at the end.

I learned two things:

1) Walton apparently has a crush on Keith Olberman. It was the second game where I heard Walton ask as the 1st half wound to a close, "Where's Keith Olberman? Is he doing the highlights at halftime?" or something similar...

2) The twitterverse is apparently playing "Bill Walton bingo". I'm in!

weezie
01-23-2015, 09:43 PM
Caught Walton doing Arizona @ Stanford....

The twitterverse is apparently playing "Bill Walton bingo".

And did you also catch the five minute homage to Coach K and Duke? Even I was getting a bit embarrassed by the gushing. I think his head would literally explode if he got the chance to climb up to the announcers perch in Cameron, not that he'd ever come east of the Rockies, though.

Say what they will, Walton clearly enjoys life. He also enjoyed the bingo card! I'll bet he'd give a talk at a new 7-11 if somebody invited him to one.

BigWayne
01-24-2015, 01:25 PM
2) The twitterverse is apparently playing "Bill Walton bingo". I'm in!

Made me look:

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/tucson.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/c/f9/cf9ffb64-a2c0-11e4-a5b4-dbcad36d2f1e/54c1dc8d83900.image.jpg?resize=620%2C463

91_92_01_10_15
01-25-2015, 11:21 PM
Who, other than Patrick Davidson of course, is better than Gus Johnson?

Turk
01-26-2015, 10:04 AM
Made me look:

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/tucson.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/c/f9/cf9ffb64-a2c0-11e4-a5b4-dbcad36d2f1e/54c1dc8d83900.image.jpg?resize=620%2C463

Not bad, but it will need some updates as some of the boxes get stale. Here are a few more:

1) "Conference of Champions" reference - this one cracks me up since the PAC-12 had an entire decade where it was an underachieving Arizona team and one other flavor-of-the-month that would flame out early in March.

2) Larry Bird / Boston Celtic reference

3) Dr. Jack Ramsey / Portland Trailblazer reference

Turk
01-26-2015, 10:15 AM
Who, other than Patrick Davidson of course, is better than Gus Johnson?

Everyone knows Gus' highlight calls are legendary, but as I watched the Coach 1K game yesterday, Gus missed a few things. There was one time he thought the play was a violation when a foul had actually been called. In the second half, the ball went out of bounds and he said "St John's calls timeout" when it was the under 16:00 TV timeout. The third one I noticed was when the St. Johns guy tried to push the ball upcourt, bobbled it, picked it up, with no steps being called; they whiffed that one too. Either he wasn't getting any help from the truck, having a bad day, or Jimmy Jackson wasn't paying attention either. The announcer's job is to tell me what I can't see with my own eyes, and I don't think Gus was on top of his game yesterday.

That being said, I thought he handled the post-game on-court interview with Coach K very well. I'm still a Gus fan.

superdave
01-26-2015, 10:15 AM
I was surprised to hear Daugherty doing the State-ND game last night. I almost immediately recognized his Black Mountain accent. I always liked him and look forward to him getting back in the hoops groove.

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/sports/2014/10/15/busy-brad-daugherty-back-basketball/17315481/

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/morning-kickoff/2015/01/05/reaction-mixed-brad-daughertys-return-espns-college-basketball-broadcasts/21281993/

captmojo
01-27-2015, 01:28 PM
I was shocked....shocked, I say. unc played at home, last night and Doris wasn't there.

They should have re-scheduled.

DukieInKansas
01-31-2015, 04:15 PM
I'm happy to see Dickie V is calling the unc Louisville game as it means he won't be in Charlottesville tonight. :D

Tripping William
01-31-2015, 04:18 PM
I'm happy to see Dickie V is calling the unc Louisville game as it means he won't be in Charlottesville tonight. :D

Meaning probably Shulman & Bilas for us. :)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-26-2015, 12:51 PM
Was it LaPhonso Ellis who kept saying how "Duke is one of the best transition teams in the country" last night? It's like he saw Winslow go coast-to-coast once and decided it was true. Don't get me wrong, I like it when we get out on the break, but it seems rare compared to a team like UNC that clearly sees it as a priority.

The one exception being in the UVa game where we clearly saw it as our best chance to rattle their half court sets.

Am I mistaken that Ellis is out on a limb on that one?

MChambers
02-26-2015, 01:03 PM
I don't have stats to cite, but I think Duke is darned good in transition, as Notre Dame and Clemson found out in Derm.

captmojo
02-26-2015, 02:05 PM
Was it LaPhonso Ellis who kept saying how "Duke is one of the best transition teams in the country" last night? It's like he saw Winslow go coast-to-coast once and decided it was true. Don't get me wrong, I like it when we get out on the break, but it seems rare compared to a team like UNC that clearly sees it as a priority.

The one exception being in the UVa game where we clearly saw it as our best chance to rattle their half court sets.

Am I mistaken that Ellis is out on a limb on that one?

It's obvious that there is too much disparity in payola between you and Ellis. :D

captmojo
02-26-2015, 02:33 PM
And, I loved the little break-in promo for the upcoming UCLA/Washington game that was to follow Duke/VT last night.
Bill Walton was shown in conversation with a UCLA player, holding the ball along the sideline. With this picture, our game announcer is wondering the subject of their talk. Was it bicycling? Mountain climbing? I was contemplating, it could be various landmarks along the Burma Road.
:D

MartyClark
02-26-2015, 03:02 PM
And did you also catch the five minute homage to Coach K and Duke? Even I was getting a bit embarrassed by the gushing. I think his head would literally explode if he got the chance to climb up to the announcers perch in Cameron, not that he'd ever come east of the Rockies, though.

Say what they will, Walton clearly enjoys life. He also enjoyed the bingo card! I'll bet he'd give a talk at a new 7-11 if somebody invited him to one.

Bill Walton is scheduled to appear at a liquor store in Lone Tree, CO tomorrow evening to autograph labels (I guess) on bottles of the tequila that he is touting. I'm tempted to stop by see him in action. I won't drop $65 for a bottle of tequila but it might be worth observing Bill on my way to the beer cooler.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-26-2015, 03:26 PM
I don't have stats to cite, but I think Duke is darned good in transition, as Notre Dame and Clemson found out in Derm.

I would love to see the stats for transition or fast break points. I can't seem to locate them anywhere.

I'm not saying that we aren't good, but all season I've been hearing about how amazing UNC is on the break, and this was the first I'd heard mention of it and it surprised me.

To be fair, I rarely listen to the commentary - usually to maintain my sanity.

captmojo
02-26-2015, 03:36 PM

This wisdom could become widespread. :D

Henderson
02-26-2015, 05:32 PM
I would love to see the stats for transition or fast break points. I can't seem to locate them anywhere.

I'm not saying that we aren't good, but all season I've been hearing about how amazing UNC is on the break, and this was the first I'd heard mention of it and it surprised me.

I think I heard Ellis say last night that Duke leads the ACC in points-in-transition. I'm too lazy to check, so I'll just assume that's right. It's easier for me if I assume things said on TV are true.

Turk
02-26-2015, 09:00 PM
And, I loved the little break-in promo for the upcoming UCLA/Washington game that was to follow Duke/VT last night.
Bill Walton was shown in conversation with a UCLA player, holding the ball along the sideline. With this picture, our game announcer is wondering the subject of their talk. Was it bicycling? Mountain climbing? I was contemplating, it could be various landmarks along the Burma Road.
:D

I watched a little, but it was the late game. UCLA beat the snot out of Washington and it was over by halftime. Walton got bored but perked up when Kareem stopped by for a visit, but it was not funny and even a little sad, as Walton just spoon-fed leading questions to Kareem about why all those little people out on the perimeter should do nothing with the ball except dump it into the post. They sounded like a couple of grumpy old men. Maybe Bill needs to tune his dosages a little. I did learn that despite many attempts, Walton could not talk Kareem or Coach Wooden into attending a Dead show.

Oh yeah, did you catch the bit a couple weeks ago where the big redhead called Michael Jordan "average"? (taken out of context, of course).
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/12/bill-walton-michael-jordan_n_6672370.html

Pasch has been poking him about it pretty much every game since.

Turk
02-26-2015, 09:12 PM
One other announcer note: The Bilastrator was doing a Duke game (maybe Syracuse?). The youngest Turk walked into the room just as they were showing a clip of Bilas doing a reverse dunk, complete with short-shorts, disco hair, and Schwarzenegger biceps. The camera cut to Jay and Shulman at the table, and my daughter asked, "Why did they show that old game?" and I told her the bald guy on the left was the one who dunked. She thought I was making it up until Mrs. Turk corroborated.

Henderson
02-26-2015, 09:36 PM
A couple of our young guys, now earning some on-camera experience in the minor leagues of goduke.com, show a lot of promise for the future. Ryan Craig and Dave Harding. I've seen lesser (and older) talent on bigger stages. I don't know how serious either is in pursuing a broadcast career, but I think both look good at this early stage in their work.

captmojo
03-15-2015, 10:12 AM
I'm gonna beat a live horse. Bill Walton.

Can he please be limited to announcing a game where he does not actively root for one of the competitors. It was late, and rather than mute the TV, I just went to bed. Also, well I could go on but that one restriction for him should be suffice. :cool:

Newton_14
03-15-2015, 12:49 PM

Can he please be limited to announcing a game where he does not actively root for one of the competitors. It was late, and rather than mute the TV, I just went to bed. Also, well I could go on but that one restriction for him should be suffice. :cool:

My new least favorite announcer is Dan Dakich. Hearing him is like nails on a chalkboard and the guy is quite simply a jerk.

CoachJ10
03-15-2015, 01:01 PM
My new least favorite announcer is Dan Dakich. Hearing him is like nails on a chalkboard and the guy is quite simply a jerk.

I heartily second the Dakich comment.

gumbomoop
03-15-2015, 02:35 PM
I heartily second the Dakich comment.

Amen, and I was dumb enough a few years back to compliment him the first few times I heard him. Forgive me.

Spanarkel is color guy on VCU-Dayton game. He's in my top 3, along with Bonner and Gminski.

I like these 3 best because they make relevant, useful, interesting comments. Spanarkel and maybe Bonner are perhaps perceived to be too bland. But for me their analyses are top-notch.

Clay Feet POF
03-15-2015, 04:03 PM

I Don't like him either, but can't figure out what it is, maybe it's his Imperious manner.l

weezie
03-15-2015, 04:10 PM

Can he please be limited to announcing a game where he does not actively root for one of the competitors.

It's on another thread but he's so ridiculous that he's actually entertaining. I remember seeing him at the 2001 finals. Man, he's huge. Since his kid did go to AZ, I'll give him a pass this time. Plus those duck uniforms, barf.

Last night the claim that he had been reading a book about Albert Einstein while lounging poolside in Vegas, that was a guffaw. And the comment that Lute Olson is the John Wooden of the 21st century...hooey baby. :rolleyes:

CoachJ10
03-15-2015, 07:00 PM
We have Doug Gottlieb, Seth Davis, and Clark Kellog on the selection show. I find them all very annoying. Have I become what the kid's call a "Hater" when it comes to announcer??

rsvman
03-15-2015, 07:31 PM
We have Doug Gottlieb, Seth Davis, and Clark Kellog on the selection show. I find them all very annoying. Have I become what the kid's call a "Hater" when it comes to announcer??

Probably.

I think Seth Davis is OK. Kellogg so-so, at best. Gottlieb, insufferable. UCLA fans have got to be loving him right about now, too, huh? How many times did he have to say that UCLA didn't belong?

Oh, and by the way, the last time I heard that much kvetching about a team that didn't belong in the tournament the recipient of all the hate was VCU. They started with the play-in game and made the Final Four.

sagegrouse
03-15-2015, 08:08 PM
Probably.

I think Seth Davis is OK. Kellogg so-so, at best. Gottlieb, insufferable. UCLA fans have got to be loving him right about now, too, huh? How many times did he have to say that UCLA didn't belong?

Oh, and by the way, the last time I heard that much kvetching about a team that didn't belong in the tournament the recipient of all the hate was VCU. They started with the play-in game and made the Final Four.

Grant didn't have a big role in the Selection Show, but he blew me away. When and where did he learn to project himself on TV?

By the way, parroting a typical Duke hater, "I'll tell you what I hate about basketball on teevee -- all the announcers are Duke guys. There's Grant and Shane and Jay Williams and Seth Davis and more. Then Spanarkel and Gminski will show up for the tournament. Where are the Carolina announcers; where are the Kentucky announcers Yeah, Walton went to UCLA, but that's the exception that proves the rule that all the talent on teevee went to Duke. Now it's even worse -- that awful Christian Laettner is all over teevee, doing commercials and everything. and people really HATE him."

It actually is a little embarrassing.

barjwr
03-15-2015, 08:20 PM
Grant didn't have a big role in the Selection Show, but he blew me away. When and where did he learn to project himself on TV?

By the way, parroting a typical Duke hater, "I'll tell you what I hate about basketball on teevee -- all the announcers are Duke guys. There's Grant and Shane and Jay Williams and Seth Davis and more. Then Spanarkel and Gminski will show up for the tournament. Where are the Carolina announcers; where are the Kentucky announcers Yeah, Walton went to UCLA, but that's the exception that proves the rule that all the talent on teevee went to Duke. Now it's even worse -- that awful Christian Laettner is all over teevee, doing commercials and everything. and people really HATE him."

And you didn't even mention Jay Bilas...though no one would accuse him of being a Duke homer after listening to him during the Duke-ND game the other night.

sagegrouse
03-15-2015, 08:26 PM
And you didn't even mention Jay Bilas...though no one would accuse him of being a Duke homer after listening to him during the Duke-ND game the other night.

I was hurrying -- cooking dinner -- and I forgot the most obvious.

Newton_14
03-15-2015, 08:54 PM
I Don't like him either, but can't figure out what it is, maybe it's his Imperious manner.l

I just think he is a class A jerk. The local morning crew on 620 The Buzz here in Raleigh set him up last year, and he got mad as fire, rather than just laughing it off. Dakich had said something disparaging about NC State during a game he was calling or some such and State Nation lit him up on twitter. Mike and Mark in the morning, invited him on as a guest on their show telling him they wanted him to discuss college hoops, and when he came on, Mark Thomas (Former NFL and State Tightend) immediately called him out on whatever it was he did to offend State. It got very awkward in a hurry, and then when Mike and Mark started laughing in an attempt to lighten the mood Dakick acted like a prick and chastised them for not being genuine on why they wanted him on.

That's just one example of a hundred in my opinion. I have come to hate the sound of his voice.

Clay Feet POF
03-15-2015, 11:30 PM
I just think he is a class A jerk. The local morning crew on 620 The Buzz here in Raleigh set him up last year, and he got mad as fire, rather than just laughing it off. Dakich had said something disparaging about NC State during a game he was calling or some such and State Nation lit him up on twitter. Mike and Mark in the morning, invited him on as a guest on their show telling him they wanted him to discuss college hoops, and when he came on, Mark Thomas (Former NFL and State Tightend) immediately called him out on whatever it was he did to offend State. It got very awkward in a hurry, and then when Mike and Mark started laughing in an attempt to lighten the mood Dakick acted like a prick and chastised them for not being genuine on why they wanted him on.

That's just one example of a hundred in my opinion. I have come to hate the sound of his voice.

Thanks Newton, nice to know.

budwom
03-16-2015, 11:20 AM

I believe the Kentucky announcers are confined to the Kentucky language stations.

captmojo
03-16-2015, 12:18 PM
Spanarkel was very good on CBS Sunday, Full of excitement and information.
He absolutely outshone his partners and none was named, Eagle.

brevity
03-18-2015, 09:06 PM
Awful Announcing (http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/first-four-first-round-ncaa-tournament-announcing-schedule.html) has the assignments for Week 1 of the NCAA Tournament.

Warning: Getting your Bobby Hurley fix comes with a side of Doug Gottlieb.

MChambers
03-18-2015, 09:18 PM
Awful Announcing (http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/first-four-first-round-ncaa-tournament-announcing-schedule.html) has the assignments for Week 1 of the NCAA Tournament.

Warning: Getting your Bobby Hurley fix comes with a side of Doug Gottlieb.

So we get Grant Friday night? That's as good as you could hope for. Really glad we're not in Omaha, withMarv Albert, Chris Webber, Len Elmore, and Craig Sager. That's an apocalypse team.

devildeac
03-18-2015, 09:45 PM
So we get Grant Friday night? That's as good as you could hope for. Really glad we're not in Omaha, withMarv Albert, Chris Webber, Len Elmore, and Craig Sager. That's a crapocalypse team.

FIFY;).

77devil
03-19-2015, 06:01 PM
Spanarkel was very good on CBS Sunday, Full of excitement and information.
He absolutely outshone his partners and none was named, Eagle.

Jim has earned a big promotion. He's paired with Verne Lundquist on the # 3 announcing team which means Jim continues into the second week and a regional for the first
time. Congrats to Jim. Spanarkel was Bill Foster's first major recruit that began the journey back from the dark days.

Indoor66
03-19-2015, 06:48 PM
Spanarkel was Bill Foster's first major recruit that began the journey back from the dark days.

...And he was Mr. Clutch before Laettner was born.

Henderson
03-19-2015, 09:06 PM
...And he was Mr. Clutch before Laettner was born.

Laettner was born in 1969. Spanarkel matriculated in 1975.

gotoguy
03-20-2015, 12:03 AM

Dakich may be a bit of a boor and he's been critical of the Devils this year during some halftime reports. However he will always have a warm spot in my heart for providing me with one of my favorite birthday presents ever when I witnessed his defense against Jordan during Indiana's 72-68 victory over UNC in the 84 tourney on March 22

wk2109
03-20-2015, 11:44 AM
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/03/19/ap-bkc-blue-devils-broadcasting-domination

Grant Hill said he thinks Duke guys come off as a little too biased against Duke and that he'll probably lean in that direction too:

Watching his fellow former players call the Blue Devils' games over the years, Hill sensed that, if anything, ''sometimes they err on the side of being very judgmental of Duke.''

He might find himself doing the same.

''It will be interesting. It is a little awkward,'' Hill said. ''But if and when that happens, I'll probably err on the side of being - I don't want to say overly critical, but try to show that I'm not too biased.''

Jackson
03-20-2015, 12:46 PM
I'm sick of objectivity. I want homers plain and simple. Professionalism is overrated when it comes to Duke basketball.

rsvman
03-20-2015, 03:19 PM
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/03/19/ap-bkc-blue-devils-broadcasting-domination

Grant Hill said he thinks Duke guys come off as a little too biased against Duke and that he'll probably lean in that direction too:

I think I'm OK with that, provided he doesn't pile onto the all-too-common anti-Duke ranting about the officiating being biased in our favor. ENOUGH with that, already. Everybody. Especially Duke people. Bilas drives me crazy with his aspirations to be Billy Packer when it comes to second-guessing any call that goes our way.

weezie
03-20-2015, 04:08 PM
Ryan Thornburg, the quoted hole alum now teacher at their J school, IS A DIPSTICK.

burnspbesq
03-20-2015, 04:39 PM
Dedas and G-man on the Louisville - UC Irvine game. What a pleasure to listen to.

gumbomoop
03-20-2015, 10:04 PM
My color commentator favorites are Bonner, Spanarkel, Gminski. I am no fan of in-studio Gottlieb. But I watched most of this afternoon's Buffalo-WVa game, and Gottlieb's analysis was absolutely excellent throughout. Ditto for his work in the shorter segments I viewed of the Terp-Valpo game.

Maybe it's that we can't see that studio smirk. But his courtside analysis was smart, not snark. Lots of inside strategy/tactics. Excellent. Encyclopaedic knowledge of game, schools, coaches. For now, though, I'll hold off adding him to my top-4 list, so as not to be banned from EK.

KandG
03-20-2015, 10:12 PM
I'm sick of objectivity. I want homers plain and simple. Professionalism is overrated when it comes to Duke basketball.

I assume this was sarcasm, but if you wanted homerism, you got it during Duke-RMU. I was embarrassed for Grant, frankly, though I think Nantz and Raftery were setting him up to a certain degree with all the softball compliments about Duke and questions to Grant about playing for Coach K when the game was one-sided.

I love Grant, and he doesn't need to overcompensate the other way against his alma mater, but my personal preference definitely steers toward the style of Bilas. Just call the game and don't give viewers extra reasons to think about where you went to school.

OldPhiKap
03-20-2015, 10:20 PM
I assume this was sarcasm, but if you wanted homerism, you got it during Duke-RMU. I was embarrassed for Grant, frankly, though I think Nantz and Raftery were setting him up to a certain degree with all the softball compliments about Duke and questions to Grant about playing for Coach K when the game was one-sided.

I love Grant, and he doesn't need to overcompensate the other way against his alma mater, but my personal preference definitely steers toward the style of Bilas. Just call the game and don't give viewers extra reasons to think about where you went to school.

I thought Grant did a great job. Some of the feeds from Jim and Bill was when they thought the game was getting away and they we're looking to keep interest or go to the fill material. They stopped when the game got close again.

Grant was way solid IMO.

KandG
03-20-2015, 10:49 PM
From the NY Times: "Bill Raftery-Grant Hill Analyst Team Has a Bland Debut But a Better Sequel". Doesn't include the Duke-RMU game but I agree with the general tenor of the piece.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/21/sports/ncaabasketball/bill-raftery-grant-hill-analyst-team-has-a-bland-debut-but-a-better-sequel.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

gumbomoop
03-21-2015, 10:37 AM
For me, Spanarkel is tied with Gminski for second behind Bonner. He gets his biggest chance ever to shine today, as he and Lundquist have no game competition for 4-5 hours today, starting at noon. Only drawback may be that the noon alphabet matchup isn't exactly a wowser. Go Blazers. Go Razorbacks.

jv001
03-21-2015, 01:53 PM
1) G-Man
2) Spanarkel
3) Grant
4) Jay Will
5) Rafferty
6) Brando
7) Bilas
8) Nantz
9) Verne
10) Bonner
11)Brad Daughtery....I know this will get me some cat calls. But he guys knows college basketball.

GoDuke!

Olympic Fan
03-21-2015, 02:04 PM

I actually respect the fact that Jay and Grant and Jason all lean over backwards to be objective, even though it sometimes mean they are a bit too critical.

What bothers me is how that doesn't apply to anybody else.

The UNC guys in the business are and have been unabashed homers from the late Stuart Scott to Kenny Smith (thankfully Barkley is there to puncture his UNC fandom) to Hubert Davis when he did games. I do give Brad Daugherty a pass -- he's the one UNC announcer who is not a homer.

And it's the same with the Maryland guys -- from Brad Van Pelt to Len Elmore to Adrian Branch -- unabashed homers (and Duke-haters).

Why are the Duke guys all so impartial, while the UNC and Maryland guys get to be blatant homers?

-jk
03-21-2015, 02:39 PM
I actually respect the fact that Jay and Grant and Jason all lean over backwards to be objective, even though it sometimes mean they are a bit too critical.

The UNC guys in the business are and have been unabashed homers from the late Stuart Scott to Kenny Smith (thankfully Barkley is there to puncture his UNC fandom) to Hubert Davis when he did games. I do give Brad Daugherty a pass -- he's the one UNC announcer who is not a homer.

And it's the same with the Maryland guys -- from Brad Van Pelt to Len Elmore to Adrian Branch -- unabashed homers (and Duke-haters).

Why are the Duke guys all so impartial, while the UNC and Maryland guys get to be blatant homers?

We have a School of Journalism? Oh, wait...

-jk

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-21-2015, 02:39 PM

Kenny Smith is working hard to get to top of my list. His comments about Duke are so unnecessary like yesterday when he said he hated the school but the likes the team. What? Or just now making a dumbarse comment about Gonzaga being in the middle of nowhere. Your point?

I LOVE when Barles Charkley lays into him... "They call me Mr. Barkley at the bank."

gumbomoop
03-21-2015, 03:29 PM

Your question is an interesting one. Possibly just a coincidence, the character of these particular human beings. Also possibly something deeper, the sanctimonious pride of Carolina Way True Believers and the Internet-inspired viciousness of Maryland twerping.

Bilas, I'm afraid, has bent over so far backwards that it's, say, leaked into his comments re The Scandal. His line, to distinguish UNC's mere peccadillo from Syracuse's substantive dishonesty, that the scam was only "an academic issue that leaked into athletics," is Roy-excusing beyond the bounds of honesty. One would.be interested in hearing a straight answer from Jay to the question of whether Roy should be eased out, either because he was or was not paying attention. Jay's straw-man dance several weeks back on GameDay was unbecoming: articulation in service of misdirection.

Indoor66
03-21-2015, 03:35 PM
1) G-Man
2) Spanarkel
3) Grant
4) Jay Will
5) Rafferty
6) Brando
7) Bilas
8) Nantz
9) Verne
10) Bonner
11)Brad Daughtery....I know this will get me some cat calls. But he guys knows college basketball.

GoDuke!

I would move 11 to 7 and 7 to 11. Bilas is a little too full of himself these days.

weezie
03-21-2015, 03:48 PM
1) G-Man
2) Spanarkel
3) Grant
4) Jay Will
5) Rafferty
6) Brando
7) Bilas
8) Nantz
9) Verne
10) Bonner

GoDuke!

I'd squeeze Tim Brandt in before Bonner. Brandt is local DC ABC sports but does plenty of ACC games and should be on a few national broadcasts, I just don't know where. And where's Gus?!

Tim Brando, otoh is becoming more and more of a gasbag as he ages...

jv001
03-21-2015, 05:50 PM
I'd squeeze Tim Brandt in before Bonner. Brandt is local DC ABC sports but does plenty of ACC games and should be on a few national broadcasts, I just don't know where. And where's Gus?!

Tim Brando, otoh is becoming more and more of a gasbag as he ages...

But Brando seems to really like Coach K and Duke. I don't get to watch Gus Johnson so I can't put him in my top announcers. GoDuke!

OldPhiKap
03-21-2015, 07:12 PM
Kenny Smith is working hard to get to top of my list. His comments about Duke are so unnecessary like yesterday when he said he hated the school but the likes the team. What? Or just now making a dumbarse comment about Gonzaga being in the middle of nowhere. Your point?

I LOVE when Barles Charkley lays into him... "They call me Mr. Barkley at the bank."

I thought Kenny's comment was funny. The others were talking about an impressive Duke performance, and they asked Kenny how he thought as a UNC grad. His answer - I hate the institution but like this team - was funny and appropriate IMO. I mean, to be fair, the question was posed for that kind of response. I would hope JWill would say the same about UNC.

mr. synellinden
03-21-2015, 08:18 PM
Bobby Hurley now on At the Half - replacing Kenny Smith. On with Chuckwagon, Ernie and Clark.

And Kenny could not even act gracious to Hurley - and he refused to say "Duke". I've never seen Jay, Jay, Shane, Jim, Grant or Mike be that stupid.

I used to like Kenny Smith as a studio analyst. Now, not.

Edouble
03-21-2015, 10:48 PM
1) G-Man
2) Spanarkel
3) Grant
4) Jay Will
5) Rafferty
6) Brando
7) Bilas
8) Nantz
9) Verne
10) Bonner

GoDuke!

Jason Williams at #4??? He is hands down my least favorite.

Brad Daughtery is great. I have no issue with him.

captmojo
03-22-2015, 10:50 AM
Maybe I've missed something, but so far I've not seen Adrian Branch be anything other than honest in his assessment of Duke's team.

I too, appreciate Bonner. I just wish they wouldn't put his vacant-looking stare on camera. And, I'm scared of his teeth and much too wide-open eyes.

We don't see and hear enough from Brad Daughtery. His commentary shows his enthusiasm for the game.

I've never cared to pay much attention to Kenny Smith. He made his feelings know far too long ago.

Barles Charkley adds some personality to the proceedings. Ugh Oh! Just a couple of years ago, he gave the impression that he wasn't interested in the college game. His knowledge was lacking, and it showed. Good turnaround, but I can't agree with his praise for Arizona. They are good but predicting they will be champs...seems a stretch to me.

DukieInKansas
03-22-2015, 05:04 PM
Maybe I've missed something, but so far I've not seen Adrian Branch be anything other than honest in his assessment of Duke's team.

I too, appreciate Bonner. I just wish they wouldn't put his vacant-looking stare on camera. And, I'm scared of his teeth and much too wide-open eyes.

We don't see and hear enough from Brad Daughtery. His commentary shows his enthusiasm for the game.

I've never cared to pay much attention to Kenny Smith. He made his feelings know far too long ago.

Barles Charkley adds some personality to the proceedings. Ugh Oh! Just a couple of years ago, he gave the impression that he wasn't interested in the college game. His knowledge was lacking, and it showed. Good turnaround, but I can't agree with his praise for Arizona. They are good but predicting they will be champs...seems a stretch to me.

Might be showing a bit of favoritism with the AZ pick.

I enjoy watching Kenny Smith try to get around having to admit Duke is good. It just really makes him squirm to have to admit it.

wsb3
03-22-2015, 10:12 PM
I kind of wished Len Elmore would have done the Duke game today. We only shot two free throws the entire game & did not shoot those to under eight minutes to go in the game. What in the world would he have found to talk about? He probably still would have insinuated that we were getting all the calls.

SCMatt33
03-22-2015, 10:49 PM
I kind of wished Len Elmore would have done the Duke game today. We only shot two free throws the entire game & did not shoot those to under eight minutes to go in the game. What in the world would he have found to talk about? He probably still would have insinuated that we were getting all the calls.

Not a problem. Duke missed 8 threes in the game, probably due to tired legs from fatigue at the end of the year.

SCMatt33
03-23-2015, 12:02 AM
Looks like Nantz/Hill/Raftery will be following us to Houston (http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/22/tip-times-announcing-teams-for-the-2015-sweet-16/), with Albert/Webber/Elmore in Cleveland, Harlan/Bonner/Miller in LA, and Lundquist/Spanarkel in Syracuse.

jv001
03-23-2015, 08:11 AM
Might be showing a bit of favoritism with the AZ pick.

I enjoy watching Kenny Smith try to get around having to admit Duke is good. It just really makes him squirm to have to admit it.

I wonder if Kenny took any of the fake classes at uncheat? I bet Barles Charkley knows. :cool: GoDuke!

captmojo
03-23-2015, 10:26 AM

It'll be even more fun if Duke should win.

rifraf
03-23-2015, 10:35 AM
Been pretty pleased overall with the announcers of our games and others. The only one I can't stand is Gottleib. He comes across as a total contrarian, complaining about calls, plays, players, actions, everything. He's been very negative on the telecasts. It feels like watching a game with that non-basketball fan who only watches in March and whines about every game where his bracket isn't working out.

sagegrouse
03-23-2015, 10:55 AM

WRT Brad Daugherty: Didn't he ditch college hoops for a while so he could broadcast NASCAR? It's hard to hate a Tar Heel like that. Of course, he came from moonshine country in the mountains.

Barkley is paid to be entertaining, which necessarily involves having an opinion. And, of course, he doesn't have to work too hard to dredge up an opinion on anything. at its best, the Barkley-Kenny Smith act is the best commentary on sports broadcasting.

BobbyFan
03-23-2015, 08:34 PM
Bob Huggins rips Bilas, Gottlieb, and Seth Davis for having opinions (http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2015-03-21/ncaa-tournament-2015-bob-huggins-west-virginia-jay-bilas-seth-davis-buffalo-doug-gottlieb)

"I'm going to have really lost my mind when I start paying attention to what Jay Bilas and people say," Huggins told The Buffalo News. "I mean, Jay always does those tweets, 'Got to go to work,' I'm trying to wonder what that is."

"I don't pay any attention to those guys," Huggins continued. "Honestly If they knew everything, they'd probably have a pretty good coaching job, making a lot more money than they're making, sitting there in a studio. So we don't pay any attention to that."

Some love for Gottlieb and Davis:

Huggins said he didn't put much stock in predictions from "a guy who couldn’t shoot 50 percent at the free-throw line and another guy who played intramurals at Duke "

weezie
03-23-2015, 09:37 PM
Ol'Huggy. Still straining the seams of his warmup suits, I hope.

Good zingers on Doug and Seth though, even they would have to laugh at those.

brevity
03-23-2015, 11:34 PM
Bob Huggins rips Bilas, Gottlieb, and Seth Davis for having opinions (http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2015-03-21/ncaa-tournament-2015-bob-huggins-west-virginia-jay-bilas-seth-davis-buffalo-doug-gottlieb)

Good zingers on Doug and Seth though, even they would have to laugh at those.

The coach faces off with Jay Bilas and Seth Davis in this Twitter conversation (https://twitter.com/CoachHuggs/status/579704753220898816).

I can't tell if Bob Huggins has a sense of humor. I find myself laughing at his temper, but that's not the same thing.

bleudiable
03-24-2015, 12:54 PM
Abdelnaby is excellent on the radio broadcasts. He really too Fisher to task for not having anyone trying to drive the lane in the first half of the SDSU game...and that was as the studio commentator. Really love hearing him as a game commentator. Apparently he broadcasts the NBA in Arabic and does some work for CBS Sports Network, but I would love to see him get a regular gig.

OldPhiKap
03-24-2015, 01:09 PM
Abdelnaby is excellent on the radio broadcasts. He really too Fisher to task for not having anyone trying to drive the lane in the first half of the SDSU game...and that was as the studio commentator. Really love hearing him as a game commentator. Apparently he broadcasts the NBA in Arabic and does some work for CBS Sports Network, but I would love to see him get a regular gig.

Alaa has been excellent in the studio (carried on Sirius/XM too) but would love to hear him as an in-game commentator.

No surprise, another articulate and knowledgeable Duke commentator.

Newton_14
03-24-2015, 07:43 PM
Sorry if this was discussed in this thread or another thread and I missed it, but I have not seen it discussed yet. Grant had some funny moments in the game against SDSU and had to back track. He made the fatal mistake of commenting after a Winslow block that "Apologies to Shane Battier, but Justise Winslow is likely the best Duke defender ever". I was immediately like "Billy King???" myself, but when they came back from break he confessed his phone had lit up with text messages, the first being from Billy King, but others (Tommy Amaker, Shelden Williams) had texted him as well. Huge rookie mistake there, which Grant admitted.

The other commentary came when Duke started to take the air out of the ball, and Raferty asked Grant if he liked K doing that when he played, to which Grant immediately replied "No, I was not a fan. I hated it". Nantz and Raferty gave him some grief about getting in trouble with K for saying that on air, but Grant was like "Well you guys told me to be honest right?"

I think Grant has done an outstanding job as an announcer so far, and to be honest, in my book he has already established himself as the best announcer of all the former Duke guys. He is smooth, knows the game well, makes great points (Winslow best ever not withstanding :) ), and has a very pleasant voice to listen to, and for me the latter point is very important in the business. I can barely stand to listen to former Coach Steve Lappin? sp? as his voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me. It's Brutal. Grant has an amazingly pleasant voice with great tones.

brevity
03-26-2015, 08:23 PM
During halftime of the Wichita State-Notre Dame game, I saw Greg Gumbel wearing a blazer that he must have borrowed from Roy Williams' closet. Can anyone produce a screenshot? There are 3 more halftime studio shows tonight.

WiJoe
03-26-2015, 09:05 PM
Miller and The Screamer (Harlan) must be sitting on their brains. This is the problem with bringing in NBA guys to do college games. Same deal last weekend (although I believe Harlan does some college games). Numerous miscalls and bad info. Plus, they're bringing down Dan Bonner. THEY ARE BRUTAL. And don't get me started on Rachel (400 word question) Nichols.

weezie
03-26-2015, 09:12 PM
During halftime of the Wichita State-Notre Dame game, I saw Greg Gumbel wearing a blazer that he must have borrowed from Roy Williams' closet. Can anyone produce a screenshot? There are 3 more halftime studio shows tonight.

brev I think you meant that Gumbel had three of ol Huck's blazers sewn together. Greg's a husky guy.

brevity
03-26-2015, 11:08 PM

brev I think you meant that Gumbel had three of ol Huck's blazers sewn together. Greg's a husky guy.

Found it. (https://twitter.com/TheCauldron/status/581289670077640704)

You forget that the Julian family uses a special expandable fabric, and Roy always stuffs his old blazers with unused timeouts.

duke79
04-04-2015, 11:08 PM
Am I the only one who finds Bill Rafftery (sic) annoying as one of announcers on the CBS broadcast? Admittedly, he's not as bad as Dickie V but I don't really find that he adds much to the broadcasts and he speaks in a series of sports cliches. Jim Nantz is Ok as the play by play guy and I'm impressed so far with Grant Hill, but I really don't know why Bill Rafftery is on the team.

TruBlu
04-05-2015, 07:38 AM
Am I the only one who finds Bill Rafftery (sic) annoying as one of announcers on the CBS broadcast? Admittedly, he's not as bad as Dickie V but I don't really find that he adds much to the broadcasts and he speaks in a series of sports cliches. Jim Nantz is Ok as the play by play guy and I'm impressed so far with Grant Hill, but I really don't know why Bill Rafftery is on the team.

. . . and when trying to be dramatic, he speaks in his "constipated" voice. Really irritating, but still slightly better than Len Elmore.

Jackson
04-05-2015, 07:49 AM
I watched the Duke Feed on TNT last night. Alaa Abdelnay did the color and Chris Spatola was sideline reporter. Think Alaa actually said us or we a few times. I enjoy a little positive Duke bias in the broadcast. Refreshing change!

MarkD83
04-05-2015, 07:54 AM
I watched the Duke Feed on TNT last night. Alaa Abdelnay did the color and Chris Spatola was sideline reporter. Think Alaa actually said us or we a few times. I enjoy a little positive Duke bias in the broadcast. Refreshing change!

I also watched the Duke feed and think this is a great idea. This is sports and as fans we love to hear the biased point of view. I also like that the interviews in game (which I usually hate because they take away from the game action) were at least interesting. I DVDed the game and I want to re-listen to the interview with Chris Collins and Mr. Okafor. They also most have been able to select their own camera feed because at the end of the game they showed Mrs. K hugging all of the Duke players rather than showing equal time of the players from each team.