PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. Temple (Brooklyn, Fri 2130 EST, TruTV) Pregame/Ingame Thread

hurleyfor3
11-20-2014, 01:47 PM
This isn't a thread yet? Duke Football truly has arrived.

Henderson
11-20-2014, 01:54 PM
A couple of undefeated teams. But Temple only goes 8 deep with the starting 5 getting most of the minutes, and they've got a team ratio of 17:29 assists to turnovers against their two early opponents.

The depth of the Duke team will vary from game to game. I think we're likely to see more players in the Duke rotation in games such as this. Then a tighter rotation in games against top-25 opponents.

MChambers
11-20-2014, 02:22 PM
The depth of the Duke team will vary from game to game. I think we're likely to see more players in the Duke rotation in games such as this. Then a tighter rotation in games against top-25 opponents.
Having a healthy Sulaimon would make it easier to field the second unit. Hope no one else catches what he had.

1 24 90
11-20-2014, 02:25 PM
Temple's first win this year was 40-37 over American. Egads!
http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400586667

Henderson
11-20-2014, 02:33 PM
Temple's first win this year was 40-37 over American. Egads!
http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400586667

The Owls have shot 22.9% (American) and 43.1% (La. Tech.). Both were home games for them.

MChambers
11-20-2014, 02:53 PM
The Owls have shot 22.9% (American) and 43.1% (La. Tech.). Both were home games for them.

Really hard rims in Philly?

budwom
11-20-2014, 03:05 PM
apropos to not much, being on TruTV isn't exactly the big time (but at least most of us can watch it)

fisheyes
11-20-2014, 03:16 PM
Doubt Bill Cosby will be in the stands rooting for his Temple team...

gep
11-21-2014, 03:08 AM
This isn't a thread yet? Duke Football truly has arrived.

Well... now that the unc football game is history... LETS GO DUKE!!!!

Brockt10
11-21-2014, 09:19 AM
Does anyone know a link to watch the game?....I have fallen victim to the to the Turner vs Dish dispute.

MChambers
11-21-2014, 09:40 AM
Does anyone know a link to watch the game?....I have fallen victim to the to the Turner vs Dish dispute.

TruTV streams its content, or so it appears, so if you were to have a login from a subscriber that uses a system that provides TruTV, such as Verizon FIOS, you could watch it live.

http://www.trutv.com/live/index.html

kAzE
11-21-2014, 10:37 AM

Wow . . . I didn't even realize this happened. I'm on Dish, too. Good thing I have Charter for my internet. Should be able to stream it with that. Get your crap together, Dish . . .

Henderson
11-21-2014, 10:53 AM
Not to look too far ahead, but we may play UNLV tomorrow. Even if we don't, a local report in the fish wrap this morning is that Duke will play UNLV (http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/unlv-rebels/basketball/unlv-duke-set-play-first-basketball-game-new-mgm-arena)at the soon-to-be-completed 20,000 seat MGM arena on December 15, 2016.

This would be the first basketball game played in the arena and would be a homecoming for Chase Jeter. It could also showcase a matchup between Jeter and his HS teammate, Stephen Zimmerman, who hasn't announced but could end up at UNLV. That assumes both that Zimmerman ends up at UNLV and that he a Jeter play college ball into their sophomore years. The game will also be played in Troy Brown's home town his senior year (6-5 PG, 2017). There is a lot of HS basketball talent in Las Vegas right now, so it could be a showcase game for the Duke program. Findlay Prep and Bishop Gorman are in Vegas.

I still get good-natured ribbing when I wear my Duke stuff around Las Vegas. A lot of the old-timers remember that semi-final game in 1991. I think it has a particular bitterness for them, because it marked the start of a long slide.

Anyway, it's circled on my calendar. Y'all come.

DukeFanSince1990
11-21-2014, 10:57 AM
Crap, I am on Dish and centurylink for internet. Guess I am out of luck.

DevilWearsPrada
11-21-2014, 10:57 AM
Time Warner dropped TruTv from our basic package last year. Is there a link where we can stream the game????

Thanks!
Go Duke!!!!

Henderson
11-21-2014, 11:01 AM
Looks like Goduke.com will stream the audio live, but not the video. If past practice holds, they'll have a full-game replay available later. You have to be a subscriber, which I am, but I'm disappointed my coin doesn't get me a live video telecast. I guess I'll have to wander up to the local sports book to see the game live.

DukieInKansas
11-21-2014, 12:31 PM
I offered to host Supadave for the game - so if any of you want to make the trek down the yellow brick road, I can probably find a spot on the sofa for you to join us. I have wine - you bring chocolate. Beer, too, if that is your beverage of choice. :D

Brockt10
11-21-2014, 12:37 PM
I offered to host Supadave for the game - so if any of you want to make the trek down the yellow brick road, I can probably find a spot on the sofa for you to join us. I have wine - you bring chocolate. Beer, too, if that is your beverage of choice. :D

Picking up a 6-pack now.

Henderson
11-21-2014, 12:41 PM
A bit off-topic, but the Virginia, Kentucky, and Wake games are all scheduled to stream live on ESPN3 tonight.

Saratoga2
11-21-2014, 12:44 PM
While we were in a different league than Presbyterian and Fairfield, we got a much more competitive game from Michigan State who exposed some of our inexperience. That was to be expected against such a well coached team. Remember, they were somewhat shorthanded. The Temple game will be an opportunity to improve some of our weaker areas, such as rebounding and interior defense. We are the superior team going into tonight and should win fairly easily. Their main hope is if they can have a hot 3 point shooting night or get Okafor into foul trouble early on.

We get TRUTV here in Florida so I will get to watch this one following a concert we are going to early in the evening.

Philsfan
11-21-2014, 01:11 PM
Temple alum and Duke fan. Always a fun game for me. I have told K I've always liked the respect/admiration he's shown toward the Owls' program.

devildeac
11-21-2014, 01:29 PM
Doubt Bill Cosby will be in the stands rooting for his Temple team...

Jel-lo pudding: clap, clap, clap/clap/clap.

TheDuckStore
11-21-2014, 01:29 PM
Not to look too far ahead, but we may play UNLV tomorrow. Even if we don't, a local report in the fish wrap this morning is that Duke will play UNLV (http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/unlv-rebels/basketball/unlv-duke-set-play-first-basketball-game-new-mgm-arena)at the soon-to-be-completed 20,000 seat MGM arena on December 15, 2016.

This would be the first basketball game played in the arena and would be a homecoming for Chase Jeter. It could also showcase a matchup between Jeter and his HS teammate, Stephen Zimmerman, who hasn't announced but could end up at UNLV. That assumes both that Zimmerman ends up at UNLV and that he a Jeter play college ball into their sophomore years. The game will also be played in Troy Brown's home town his senior year (6-5 PG, 2017). There is a lot of HS basketball talent in Las Vegas right now, so it could be a showcase game for the Duke program. Findlay Prep and Bishop Gorman are in Vegas.

I still get good-natured ribbing when I wear my Duke stuff around Las Vegas. A lot of the old-timers remember that semi-final game in 1991. I think it has a particular bitterness for them, because it marked the start of a long slide.

Sounds like us New Yorkers will have to do with one less game that season... mid-December is normally a Northeast affair. Although, of course I agree with you that it would be a showcase game, and am always glad when Devils get to play in front of their hometown! Plus, I really shouldn't complain... I get to watch the team twice in the next two days! :)

ChillinDuke
11-21-2014, 02:02 PM

Temple loses their top scorer and their top rebounder from last year but returns two of their top four scorers/minute getters - guards Will Cummings (6'2") and Quenton DeCosey (6'5").

Next up, sophomores Daniel Dingle and Mark Williams come in at 6'7" and 6'8", respectively.

Junior Devontae Watson is the fifth starter. A junior, he's listed at 6'11" - prior year averages of 2.5, 3.7, and a block per game, playing in all games and starting 17. However, he averaged only 13.6 mpg and is only up to 14.5 mpg this year despite starting both games for the Owls. He's only logged 3 fouls thus far. Curious playing time metrics.

Josh Brown is the first off the bench at 6'3" (another sophomore) but has played starter minutes at 28 per (Dingle and DeCosey have logged 8 fouls each). 6'9" freshman Obi Enechionyia and 6'10" grad student Jake McDonnell have some height and have run 14 mpg thus far as the only other players logging minutes on the squad.

So Chillin, you ask, what does it all mean?

What it means is - who the heck guards The Oak? None of their three players at 6'9" or taller is over 15 mpg this year despite no obvious foul trouble, and neither Watson nor McDonnell was over 14 mpg last year.

So, my best guess is they either throw Watson out there as close to 40 as the guy can humanely handle and pray he doesn't foul out. Or they throw the 3-man rotation out there, trying to keep each fresh, and pray Jahlil tires out.

Neither of these prayers is mutually exclusive with Jahlil dominating the game.

Today is a perfect example of "Jahlil Okafor: Impacting Games Before Tip-Off".

- Chillin

kAzE
11-21-2014, 02:17 PM
There's a whole other thread about it, but in case you weren't keeping up with that one, Dish Network and Turner Broadcasting worked out a temporary deal today to restore the programming that got pulled (TruTV, CNN, Cartoon Network, etc.) for a few more months to work out a longer deal . . . meaning those of us who are Dish customers can watch the game on TV tonight. Hooray!

Brockt10
11-21-2014, 02:58 PM
There's a whole other thread about it, but in case you weren't keeping up with that one, Dish Network and Turner Broadcasting worked out a temporary deal today to restore the programming that got pulled (TruTV, CNN, Cartoon Network, etc.) for a few more months to work out a longer deal . . . meaning those of us who are Dish customers can watch the game on TV tonight. Hooray!

Your comment made me so happy I feel like I owe you something.

Edouble
11-21-2014, 03:03 PM

What neighborhood do you live in? Can I take a raincheck for a Raycom game? I will bring good food/beverages!

DukieInKansas
11-21-2014, 03:18 PM
What neighborhood do you live in? Can I take a raincheck for a Raycom game? I will bring good food/beverages!

Suburbs of Kansas City. Let me know if you are ever in town. Hopefully, it will be a game that I get. :D

ACCBBallFan
11-21-2014, 04:02 PM

Ken Pomeroy thinks Duke will be playing Johnny Dawkins' Stanford team after UNLV loses 68-65

Fri Nov 21 54 Stanford L, 68-65 67 37% Neutral

Edouble
11-21-2014, 06:29 PM
Suburbs of Kansas City. Let me know if you are ever in town. Hopefully, it will be a game that I get. :D

Sorry, so confused. I thought you were in Atlanta because I thought superdave was in Atlanta, and you were inviting him over. Now I see the remark about Yellow Brick Road. I know your name is DukeInKansas, but I guess I thought you had transplanted to Atlanta (like everyone else in the city except for me and like one other guy).

Too bad. I was gonna bring some good Q too.

Duvall
11-21-2014, 07:40 PM
Call the Army, call the Marines, call the National Guard, because the Stanford Cardinal are killing the UNLV Rebels.

Reid Travis looks like he's going to be a good one.

Tripping William
11-21-2014, 07:56 PM
Not sure I can link it, because it appears to be only on CBS Sports' mobile app, but Matt Norlander's piece about K & Dunphy, and the seeds of their longstanding friendship, is an AWESOME read.

burnspbesq
11-21-2014, 08:04 PM
UNLV had a nice little run going, cut Stanford's lead from 25 to 18, but then they lost track of Randle and he buried an open three, and after that they took a bad shot and didn't get back, allowing Brown to go coast-to-coast for a layup at the buzzer.

HT: Stanford 52-29 UNLV. Stanford shot 56 percent in the first half, including 9-13 (!!) from three.

burnspbesq
11-21-2014, 08:06 PM
Elsewhere, Kentucky is struggling with BU (up five at the half), and UVa is struggling with GW (up one early second half).

Troublemaker
11-21-2014, 08:31 PM
Not sure I can link it, because it appears to be only on CBS Sports' mobile app, but Matt Norlander's piece about K & Dunphy, and the seeds of their longstanding friendship, is an AWESOME read.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/feature/24826459/bond-beyond-basketball

Henderson
11-21-2014, 08:33 PM
Elsewhere, Kentucky is struggling with BU (up five at the half....

The obvious key to challenging Kentucky is to be from a school that starts with B. If Bansas had shown up, they would have been fine.

The problem is, that only works for one half. So it might not be worth the trouble to change the name of your university. But Barizona sounds nice. Bisconsin, eh. I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ita State rocks. None of that works for UNC-CH, of course. They're just flipping hopeless all the way around.

jacone21
11-21-2014, 09:18 PM
truTV doesn't really appear to have a very good lineup of shows.

riverside6
11-21-2014, 09:33 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Temple, starters posted...

http://www.scacchoops.com/duke-at-temple-basketball-live-stats-11212014

-jk
11-21-2014, 09:39 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open.

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

Tucknut
11-21-2014, 10:26 PM
Every time I hear Coach Capel talk, the more impressed I am.

ChrisP
11-21-2014, 10:31 PM
Went to the chat thread, but didn't see much going on so...will post thoughts here. Temple playing hard and very tough. Duke seems a bit surprised at how physical it's been thus far. I thought we took too many 3's in the first, but most were open looks so that's a tough call, I guess. Okafor getting hammered in the post and not getting many (were there any?) calls. As great as he is on offense, he's not exactly what I'd call a "rim protector" on D. I realize he's trying to stay out of foul trouble and that's great and all but...gotta play SOME defense, you know? Some of his shots seemed kinda wild, too. Probably just frustration and I hope he gets it together for the 2nd half.

Sulaimon had some boneheaded plays, too. No one shooting real well except for Winslow! Hope his ankle will be ok after this game. I think Duke will be fine and this is probably a good test for us. I just hope we play a bit smarter in the 2nd half.

-jk
11-21-2014, 10:32 PM
Went to the chat thread, but didn't see much going on so...

Busiest chat ever. Not sure what you're looking for.

-jk

ChrisP
11-21-2014, 10:36 PM
Busiest chat ever. Not sure what you're looking for.

-jk

I literally saw like one comment. Maybe I'm not doing something right???

EDIT - Nevermind - it's working for me now. Not sure what I clicked on at first. I thought Kim K's behind broke DBR there for a minute! :D

Karl Beem
11-21-2014, 10:37 PM
The obvious key to challenging Kentucky is to be from a school that starts with B. If Bansas had shown up, they would have been fine.

The problem is, that only works for one half. So it might not be worth the trouble to change the name of your university. But Barizona sounds nice. Bisconsin, eh. I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ita State rocks. None of that works for UNC-CH, of course. They're just flipping hopeless all the way around.

Really? BUNC-CH.

pamtar
11-21-2014, 10:37 PM
Daniel Dingle. Glad I don't have to live with that on a daily basis.

Devilwin
11-21-2014, 10:38 PM
We did take too many threes. Matt Jones is a brick mason. Came in with this big time rep as a shooter, and hasn't shown it yet. Tyus was fouled on that shot at half's end. Okafor lazy on defense tonight. Winslow looks good. More Grayson Allen, less Matt Jones is a good thing. But, we'll be fine. Most of our guys are freshmen.
Cook has disappeared for some reason, needs to get in the flow..

-jk
11-21-2014, 10:38 PM
I literally saw like one comment. Maybe I'm not doing something right???

did you refresh? We have 20+ chatters.

-jk

ChrisP
11-21-2014, 10:51 PM
did you refresh? We have 20+ chatters.

-jk

I'm on now. I'm sure I was doing something wrong at first. Thanks.

PSurprise
11-21-2014, 11:01 PM
We did take too many threes. Matt Jones is a brick mason. Came in with this big time rep as a shooter, and hasn't shown it yet. Tyus was fouled on that shot at half's end. Okafor lazy on defense tonight. Winslow looks good. More Grayson Allen, less Matt Jones is a good thing. But, we'll be fine. Most of our guys are freshmen.
Cook has disappeared for some reason, needs to get in the flow..

So how much are we losing by?

Duke95
11-21-2014, 11:15 PM
Hmmm. Shooting 38% and winning by 22.

Gthoma2a
11-21-2014, 11:17 PM
Rasheed has got to stop penetrating, only to get caught in the air with nowhere to go. It is like he thinks it is a good thing. He has too much talent to make decisions like that over and over. That is why I don't see him having a career in the NBA yet. Even if he just slowed up on the drive to see the court better, it would help. It doesn't matter how fast you get there, if you are going nowhere.