PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke vs. UNC-CH (Nov 20, 7:30 pm, ESPN)

JBDuke
11-15-2014, 11:00 PM
Big game coming up on Thursday.

Troublemaker
11-15-2014, 11:06 PM
I'm hoping to go 5-0 against the Cheaters (1 football, 2 MBB, 2 WBB) before the NCAA levies sanctions this upcoming summer (my prediction for when it will happen.)

This Thursday can get us off to a good start. Must-win for the football team within the context of its season, but also must-win because UNC is morally corrupt.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-16-2014, 08:12 AM
Big game coming up on Thursday.

Let's go out there and show no mercy. Let's beat them like the worthy rivals they used to be. Let's show them so much respect that we put our boots on their throats in the first half.

davekay1971
11-16-2014, 08:17 AM
FSU got it together and helped us out quite a bit last night. Duke still controls its own destiny for the coastal championship. That means we have to turn it around and take out every last ounce of frustration we have on UNC. Not much to say. Their defense is lousy, their offense is not. Our defense has become our strength, and our offense needs to get it's mojo back, because we can, and should, score against the Heels.

We let one get away yesterday. I can't imagine a team I'd rather right the ship against than UNCheat.

OldPhiKap
11-16-2014, 08:31 AM
Must. Win. Game.

Bob Green
11-16-2014, 08:32 AM
When will the injury report be released this week? Still on Thursday? I'm worried about Jamison Crowder's hand. It appeared he may have reinjured it yesterday.

uh_no
11-16-2014, 11:44 AM
Must. Win. Game.

this might be the first time this year this is literally true.

OldPhiKap
11-16-2014, 11:47 AM
this might be the first time this year this is literally true.

Yup. Tech is in the house already at 6-2. Our loss yesterday, nd GT's win, eliminated any cushion that may have existed.

uh_no
11-16-2014, 11:50 AM
Yup. Tech is in the house already at 6-2. Our loss yesterday, nd GT's win, eliminated any cushion that may have existed.

yep. we had a cushion, and used it all up yesterday. Been lots of criticism of boone, but I'm hoping he comes out there on thursday and brings a packed wally wade down.

OldPhiKap
11-16-2014, 11:54 AM
yep. we had a cushion, and used it all up yesterday. Been lots of criticism of boone, but I'm hoping he comes out there on thursday and brings a packed wally wade down.

Me too. But as Cut said in his post-game PC, part of that was attributable to the pressure being brought and VT's disruptive pass rush. It was not all unforced errors. But, having said that, it's time for our senior QB to lead us to victory. Do or die time. When our guys get deep and behind the defender, we need that downfield pass to hit.

JBDuke
11-16-2014, 12:13 PM
Me too. But as Cut said in his post-game PC, part of that was attributable to the pressure being brought and VT's disruptive pass rush. It was not all unforced errors. But, having said that, it's time for our senior QB to lead us to victory. Do or die time. When our guys get deep and behind the defender, we need that downfield pass to hit.

While I think that Cut's explanation is true, what allowed VT to bring up their safeties and apply the extra pressure on the rush was Boone's inability to make them pay for single coverage deep. He had several opportunities early and missed on them all. After that, VT knew that it wasn't a threat, so they could put 8 in the box, stuff our run game, and bring pressure on Boone.

CDu
11-16-2014, 12:20 PM
While I think that Cut's explanation is true, what allowed VT to bring up their safeties and apply the extra pressure on the rush was Boone's inability to make them pay for single coverage deep. He had several opportunities early and missed on them all. After that, VT knew that it wasn't a threat, so they could put 8 in the box, stuff our run game, and bring pressure on Boone.

Yep. Boone seemed unable to complete any passes more than about 5 yards downfield. That level of inaccuracy will allow a defense to be more aggressive. Boone simply HAS to be more accurate on downfield throws, otherwise we become a very vanilla offense.

OldPhiKap
11-16-2014, 12:22 PM

Yep. Boone seemed unable to complete any passes more than about 5 yards downfield. That level of inaccuracy will allow a defense to be more aggressive. Boone simply HAS to be more accurate on downfield throws, otherwise we become a very vanilla offense.

It seemed we were in third and long all afternoon. Even if we could have hit some of those 5-10 yarders we keep the defense from bringing the house.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-16-2014, 12:57 PM
GO TO HELL carolina! Go To Hell!
http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

devildeac
11-16-2014, 03:25 PM
Here's what we're hoping to serve at our tent:

Actually, I really don't care what we serve at our tent. I just want our FB team to serve up a giant serving of whoopass that night.

devildeac
11-16-2014, 06:31 PM
Here's another menu item suggestion: skewered sheep

Tripping William
11-16-2014, 07:01 PM
Here's another menu item suggestion: skewered sheep

Mmmmm, lamb burgers. Yum!

Bob Green
11-16-2014, 08:09 PM
Duke is a 6.5 points favorite in Vegas:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/

Bob Green
11-17-2014, 05:01 PM
Vegas has set the over/under at 66.5 points. In ACC Games, Carolina is yielding 39.3 points per game, compared to 22.5 points per game by Duke.

Tripping William
11-17-2014, 05:08 PM
Vegas has set the over/under at 66.5 points. In ACC Games, Carolina is yielding 39.3 points per game, compared to 22.5 points per game by Duke.

I'd take a 36-30 Duke win in a heartbeat.

devildeac
11-17-2014, 05:09 PM

I think I'd take the over on this one considering the scores of the Duke-Pitt and unc-Pitt games. And I do remember our Pitt game was 2 OTs. Hands trembling and lips quivering as I contemplate picking the winner and score of this one.

Dev11
11-17-2014, 05:44 PM
Jamison Crowder and Devon Edwards have delivered some big fireworks in the last two UNC games. I'm looking for Anthony Boone to make some big plays this week after a shaky performance against VT. This is the seniors' last shot at UNC and they have no more room for error to get to the ACC Championship.

It would also be nice to see UNC not make a bowl game this year.

Reilly
11-17-2014, 07:14 PM
DukeFB equipment tweeted out the photo: black from head to toe.

Reilly
11-17-2014, 07:25 PM
How will we finish?

12-2 .... beat UNC, WFU, FSU, and Orange Bowl opponent (buying 3 t-shirts)

11-3 ... win out regular season, split post-season (buying 2 t-shirts)

10-4 ... win out in regular season, lose out in post-season (buying 1 t-shirt)

10-3 .... split UNC/WFU and win a bowl (buying 1 t-shirt)

9-4 ... split UNC/WFU and lose a bowl

8-5 ... lose to UNC, WFU and bowl opponent

Bob Green
11-17-2014, 08:02 PM

nyesq83
11-17-2014, 08:17 PM
I presume we are to wear Duke Blue or black?

With white towels a-spinning...

ChrisP
11-18-2014, 09:40 AM
So, with Boone's much-discussed struggles throwing the ball last week, do we expect Cut to perhaps try a different QB for a series or two if the "bad AB" shows up Thursday night? I have crazy respect for Coach Cut and I really try hard never to second guess a coach, but...I was at the VT game and seeing Boone repeatedly miss open receivers (often by a wide margin) had me wondering if perhaps it might help to sit him for a series and give Sirk a try.

Anyway, let's hope my speculation is totally unfounded on Thursday and Anthony Boone channels his inner Peyton Manning and throws 5 TD's in a crushing victory over the cheaters. :cool:

uh_no
11-18-2014, 09:54 AM
So, with Boone's much-discussed struggles throwing the ball last week, do we expect Cut to perhaps try a different QB for a series or two if the "bad AB" shows up Thursday night? I have crazy respect for Coach Cut and I really try hard never to second guess a coach, but...I was at the VT game and seeing Boone repeatedly miss open receivers (often by a wide margin) had me wondering if perhaps it might help to sit him for a series and give Sirk a try.

Anyway, let's hope my speculation is totally unfounded on Thursday and Anthony Boone channels his inner Peyton Manning and throws 5 TD's in a crushing victory over the cheaters. :cool:

well...with all peyton's receivers out, maybe we can get him to toss on his beard disguise and throw a few downs for us instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G0loI0Jn5M

oldnavy
11-18-2014, 12:18 PM
I presume we are to wear Duke Blue or black?

With white towels a-spinning...

I'm wearing the warmest things I have regardless of color!!

I will have my lucky Duke t-shirt on however!

GO DEVILS!!

luvdahops
11-18-2014, 12:27 PM

Ugh. Showing my age and my severe bias against current uniform "practices" generally in CFB these days, but of all games to adopt a more traditional look, I would think this would be it. I think our uniforms this year are a big downgrade from last (blue helmet with either white jersey/blue pants or blue jersey/white pants in that style was the sharpest a Duke team has looked in years in my view), though the black jerseys are probably the best looking of the 3 current ones. I understand the effort to recall the 1989 ACC Champs, but the white and blue ones look like something off the sale rack at K-Mart.

Reilly
11-18-2014, 09:43 PM
DUKE

+39 Elon
+38 Kansas
+34 Tulane
+17 @Troy
+17 @Syracuse
+07 Virginia
+06 @GT
+03 @Pitt
--------------------------
-01 VT
-12 @Miami

UNC

+27 Liberty
+05 GT
+05 Pitt
+04 SDSU
+01 @UVa
-------------------------------------
-07 @Notre Dame
-15 @Clemson
-17 VT
-27 @Miami
-29 @ECU

Carolina has won one game on the road -- a 1-point win at UVa; we're 4-1 at home. Duke advantage.

Common opponents:

They beat GT by 5, we beat GT by 6 (on the road). Duke advantage.
They beat Pitt by 5, we beat Pitt by 3.
They beat UVa by 1, we beat UVa by 7. Duke advantage.
They lost to VT by 17, we lost to VT by 1. Duke advantage.
They lost to Miami by 27, we lost to Miami by 12. Duke advantage.

weezie
11-18-2014, 09:46 PM
I'm wearing the warmest things I have regardless of color!!

I will have my lucky Duke t-shirt on however!

GO DEVILS!!

I am ready with my lucky Duke blue unmentionables.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-18-2014, 10:18 PM
I am ready with my lucky Duke blue unmentionables.
Mine are a cheetah print.

Bob Green
11-19-2014, 05:12 AM
Patrick Cacchio previews the game:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2014/11/preview-north-carolina-duke/

His Keys to Victory: 1) Win the turnover battle, 2) Control the line of scrimmage, 3) Contain Marquise Williams

Reilly
11-19-2014, 06:20 AM
... a cheetah print ...

Which I'm guessing involves a repeating pattern of tiny photos of Fields, Borders, Edwards, Cash, and Singleton?

"They hunt only with their brothers."

tux
11-19-2014, 03:11 PM
link (http://grantland.com/the-triangle/duke-blue-devils-sustained-football-success/)

devildeac
11-19-2014, 04:45 PM
link (http://grantland.com/the-triangle/duke-blue-devils-sustained-football-success/)

Good find. Thanks. Great quote from Cut:

"Cutcliffe wouldn’t let his players assume liability for any of it: “I told my team, and I meant this, every bit of that falls right back to me. I am responsible to see that we are ready, and that’s the end of the story. That’s the end of a one-point loss.” Shortly before concluding his presser, he reemphasized the point: “I’m not just saying this for fun. It’s all my responsibility. And I’ll find a way to get through it tonight, get over it. Three months from now, I may sink like a rock somewhere."

No buses running running around WW for him to throw his players under.

Reilly
11-19-2014, 07:54 PM
hype video for tomorrow's game ...

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=4200

Reilly
11-20-2014, 06:01 AM
1. GTHCGTH.

2. Goduke has highlights from the 2012 and 2013 games -- tremendous games.

3. Given our odds of beating WFU, tonight, for us, is for a de facto ACC Coastal Division championship.

4. Missing North Carolinians Kelby and Deaver, but you know AB, JC, Takoby, Snead, IB, Wilson, Borders, Kyler, Blaser ... will have pep in their step.

5. If on the fence about attending, go.

6. GTHCGTH.

Bob Green
11-20-2014, 06:59 AM
Dress warmly as the weather report says clear but cold with a low of 26 degrees tonight. I'm happy there is no rain in the forecast.

OldPhiKap
11-20-2014, 07:18 AM
Go to HELL, Carolina, go to HELL!

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-20-2014, 08:21 AM
If you're going to be at the Devil Walk, consider that it's going to be at dusk. Some of us are bringing flashlights to "be a beacon" by lighting the sidewalk for the team. We want to light the way to the Coastal Division Championship. If lots of people do this, it could be a simple, but powerful gesture.

DukeSean
11-20-2014, 10:30 AM
I think (or maybe I hope) we'll see a early, heavy dose of the Stable tonight. They haven't been able to stop the run all season, and that's our strong suit. So hopefully Scottie won't fix what ain't broken

GTHC!

Bob Green
11-20-2014, 10:44 AM
I think (or maybe I hope) we'll see a early, heavy dose of the Stable tonight.

I agree. We need to use our talented offensive line and pound away at the Tar Heels defense all night. Offensive balance will be important so mixing in the pass and running both inside and outside should keep Carolina guessing.

Because I am a glutton for punishment, I've watched the VT game several times on ESPN3 this week and it is amazing how successful we were running the ball in the 1st quarter against the Hokies. We ran the option pitch four times and gained > 10 yards each time. Boone successfully pitched the ball to both Snead and Wilson. Powell was successful on inside runs. Then we got pass happy and lost all rhythm on offense.

DukeSean
11-20-2014, 10:48 AM
Because I am a glutton for punishment, I've watched the VT game several times on ESPN3 this week and it is amazing how successful we were running the ball in the 1st quarter against the Hokies. We ran the option pitch four times and gained > 10 yards each time. Boone successfully pitched the ball to both Snead and Wilson. Powell was successful on inside runs. Then we got pass happy and lost all rhythm on offense.

The only explanation I could think of why we went away from the run was that due to our early exploits in the ground game, the coaches saw openings in the passing game and thought that we could take advantage of them. But unfortunately we just couldn't execute. Bad throws by AB, and that INT changed everything. Not to rehash old hash, but I hope we can just K.I.S.S. against UNC

uh_no
11-20-2014, 11:23 AM
Dress warmly as the weather report says clear but cold with a low of 26 degrees tonight. I'm happy there is no rain in the forecast.

interesting...ozzie's forcast was hotter than hell.

OldPhiKap
11-20-2014, 11:25 AM
interesting...ozzie's forcast was hotter than hell.

cold fusion.

devildeac
11-20-2014, 12:40 PM
cold fusion.

Cold stouts. Cold porters. (or Cole Porter if you like that genre of music which I do very much)

flyingdutchdevil
11-20-2014, 12:43 PM
Cold stouts. Cold porters. (or Cole Porter if you like that genre of music which I do very much)

Given that's only still 40 degrees up here, I'll stick to my ales for this game. Those stouts come in handy come December-May, when Boston finally starts warming up.

Go Duke! GTHCGTH!!!

peloton
11-20-2014, 01:34 PM
I enjoy a good, hearty beer (be it lager, ale, porter, or stout) as much as the next person, but I have to say I thoroughly enjoy a good (read:not too sweet) hard cider on a regular basis.

Let's go Blue Devils!!

wilson
11-20-2014, 01:38 PM
I can't help but find irony in Duke Football's "#OurBlueIsBetter" social media onslaught, when the team will be wearing head-to-toe black tonight.

Thought #2: I really want to win this game for the obvious reasons (one step closer to winning the Coastal, beat the heels), but also because here in Atlanta, GA Tech fans regard Duke with sheer disdain. I really didn't realize this until about the last year, but the Jackets hate us rather a lot, and they regard our football program as nothing more than an annoying upstart (more than a few of them refer to us as "Fluke" in message board posts and the like). Strutting around town for a while with a(nother) division championship, not to mention a win in their house, would be awfully nice.

DukeSean
11-20-2014, 02:01 PM
Thought #2: I really want to win this game for the obvious reasons (one step closer to winning the Coastal, beat the heels), but also because here in Atlanta, GA Tech fans regard Duke with sheer disdain. I really didn't realize this until about the last year, but the Jackets hate us rather a lot, and they regard our football program as nothing more than an annoying upstart (more than a few of them refer to us as "Fluke" in message board posts and the like). Strutting around town for a while with a(nother) division championship, not to mention a win in their house, would be awfully nice.

I'm wondering where all the hate comes from? Maybe the barbs Cut and PJ have traded over the years? I mean, who really cares about Tech except when we have to play them or they affect our standing? I'm not a fan of PJ himself, but the team in general I couldn't care less about.

Frankly, all the GT fans I've met around the Dallas area have been very complimentary of Duke's rise. Maybe I should wear my Duke football shirts a lot more when I'm in Atlanta

Henderson
11-20-2014, 02:24 PM
I want this game. I want to think, "See, you have this big state school, you cheated to get where you are, and you still got punked by a smaller private school that didn't cheat."

Tripping William
11-20-2014, 02:29 PM
I want this game. I want to think, "See, you have this big state school, you cheated to get where you are, and you still got punked for the third straight year by a smaller private school that didn't cheat."

Fixed that for you. :)

Acymetric
11-20-2014, 07:04 PM
45 minutes to kickoff...stadium slowly filling in...looked like a great Duke crowd walking in and Blue Devil alley in full force! GTHC!

-jk
11-20-2014, 07:33 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open.

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

And needless, yet always welcome, to say: Go to Hell!, Carolina. Go to Hell!

-jk

fisheyes
11-20-2014, 07:43 PM
Wow! Duke, the favorite, on Thursday night nationally televised game.

Boy have we come a long way!!!

Nice crowd!

Go Duke!!!

riverside6
11-20-2014, 07:47 PM
Live stats, play analysis, and more for Duke/UNC here...

http://www.scacchoops.com/unc-at-duke-football-live-stats-11202014

Kfanarmy
11-20-2014, 08:21 PM
Is it just me or are two of the announcers UNC homers?

pfrduke
11-20-2014, 08:23 PM
That was a critically important drive. Huge first down pickup by Crowder (after Boone gakked the 3rd down throw).

Papa John
11-20-2014, 08:29 PM
Dude steps out of bounds twice on the play... They mark at the second one... Never mind the holding that sprung him free, either...

JetpackJesus
11-20-2014, 08:32 PM
That sure looked like a hold by #84 on that long TD run. Usually, if the defensive player can't turn around to face the direction of the play, especially when he's between the blocker and the ball carrier, he's being held.

I'm watching on my phone, though, so maybe it wasn't as bad as it looked to me.

*edit 1: By usually I mean always.
*edit 2: GTHCGTH

moonpie23
11-20-2014, 08:33 PM
duke had better re-focus.....it's gonna be ugly if they don't....

Devilwin
11-20-2014, 08:33 PM
Geez. Here we go again. Turnovers and dumb penalties. Defense looks flat. Coach Cut looks subdued. Don't they want the Coastal title? We look terrible. 21-7 in the first quarter.:mad:

ice-9
11-20-2014, 08:34 PM
Ouch.

arnie
11-20-2014, 08:43 PM
duke had better re-focus.....it's gonna be ugly if they don't....

This is a disaster, gonna take a miracle to come back.

duke79
11-20-2014, 08:44 PM
Carolina has the Big Mo.....UGH. This game may be over by halftime.

Tripping William
11-20-2014, 08:44 PM
Hard to imagine a worse start.

moonpie23
11-20-2014, 08:46 PM
well, you don't have to imagine....it's worse now...

Devilwin
11-20-2014, 08:46 PM
28-7. I'm done. To heck with it. They didn't show up again..Basketball tomorrow anyway vs Temple. Guess we really are a basketball school again. Total lack of effort.
Unless a miracle happens. We should play all our games on the road. Home ain't home like home should be...

duke09hms
11-20-2014, 08:47 PM
On the bright side, we have a good chance of winning a bowl game this year!

arnie
11-20-2014, 08:53 PM

You beat me to it. There is a silver lining- we should fall pretty far in the bowl hierarchy and play an average team.

BlueandWhite
11-20-2014, 08:53 PM
Geez. Here we go again. Turnovers and dumb penalties. Defense looks flat. Coach Cut looks subdued. Don't they want the Coastal title? We look terrible. 21-7 in the first quarter.:mad:

Terrible is too kind. HORRIBLE, sieve-like defense...UNC's O-line is blowing Duke's defensive front away...very poor tackling...poor coverage in the secondary. One team came to win, the other just showed up, after a tough loss to the Hokies. They're cooked.

People - Duke wouldn't even have been in this position had Pitt not basically handed them a win a few weeks ago.

Tripping William
11-20-2014, 08:56 PM
Just not sharp. At all.

NYBri
11-20-2014, 08:59 PM
Boone has looked lost for a couple of weeks...and he finally hits a receiver on a deep route and #17 drops the ball. They look like the Eagles against the Packers.

Devilwin
11-20-2014, 09:00 PM
Terrible is too kind. HORRIBLE, sieve-like defense...UNC's O-line is blowing Duke's defensive front away...very poor tackling...poor coverage in the secondary. One team came to win, the other just showed up, after a tough loss to the Hokies. They're cooked.

People - Duke wouldn't even have been in this position had Pitt not basically handed them a win a few weeks ago.

I totally agree. We look like we could care less. Blakeney smiling on the sidelines smiling after dropping that pass. My wife just said we were a fraud all year. I hate to think that. But it's looking like it more and more.
And, UNC is driving again...

pamtar
11-20-2014, 09:02 PM
Jeebus H Christopherson. Is this 2007? C'mon boys! Wake the hell up!

gep
11-20-2014, 09:02 PM

You beat me to it. There is a silver lining- we should fall pretty far in the bowl hierarchy and play an average team.

It ain't over till it's over...

In any case, third consecutive bowl game this year. Maybe even win the bowl game this time. Duke is not yet a powerhouse football program... but getting there. Maybe too much to expect division championships in consecutive years. But still cool that they are at least contending two consecutive years.:cool:

Devilwin
11-20-2014, 09:07 PM
Recovered a fumble! Then we do nothing with it...

Bad punt. My God...This is ridiculous. We can't do anything right. Wake will beat them next week probably unless something happens.

moonpie23
11-20-2014, 09:09 PM
K should slip in there and rip em a new one at the half....

Kfanarmy
11-20-2014, 09:09 PM
I've watched three Duke games this year; I haven't yet seen Boone play a good game.

arnie
11-20-2014, 09:16 PM
I've watched three Duke games this year; I haven't yet seen Boone play a good game.

You could have watched a few more and come to same conclusion. My biggest surprise is how awful our D is. No penetration, no pursuit, no tackling.

rsvman
11-20-2014, 09:17 PM
This is pretty pathetic, unfortunately.

Papa John
11-20-2014, 09:17 PM
That sure looked like a hold by #84 on that long TD run. Usually, if the defensive player can't turn around to face the direction of the play, especially when he's between the blocker and the ball carrier, he's being held.

I'm watching on my phone, though, so maybe it wasn't as bad as it looked to me.

Yep, it was a pretty obvious hold... So bad, actually, that the defender was having difficulty even raising his arms in the air as a "what the heck" to the official... Of course, we're playing so poorly in all aspects that one hold really is irrelevant... Disappointing how completely flat, unfocused, unmotivated, etc. we appear given that we have a shot at winning the Coastal. This does not look like a championship calibre football team right now... Bummer!

loran16
11-20-2014, 09:21 PM
Way to try and score when you're down 3 scores, guys. Because clearly wasting the final minute of the half is going to help you come back, not like you might have time issues later.

dukelifer
11-20-2014, 09:22 PM
This is pretty pathetic, unfortunately.

Thursday games are a joke. This is even true in the NFL. Players have not recovered from their last game. Couple this with the fact that players are taking classes (well at Duke at least) and life is a bit crazy for these guys- some team was going to play poorly tonight. Unfortunately it is Duke. This is the Thursday night blues. It is too bad that this is only to benefit ESPN. This is not good for football and its players.

duke79
11-20-2014, 09:22 PM
Got to play MUCH better in the second half......Score should be much more lopsided......Carolina was very sloppy at times.

arnie
11-20-2014, 09:23 PM
Yep, it was a pretty obvious hold... So bad, actually, that the defender was having difficulty even raising his arms in the air as a "what the heck" to the official... Of course, we're playing so poorly in all aspects that one hold really is irrelevant... Disappointing how completely flat, unfocused, unmotivated, etc. we appear given that we have a shot at winning the Coastal. This does not look like a championship calibre football team right now... Bummer!

I think Cut was out of it too at the end. Down 21 you have to play aggressive on the last series. Oh well, beat Wake and we win 9 games.

loran16
Thursday games are a joke. This is even true in the NFL. Players have not recovered from their last game. Couple this with the fact that players are taking classes (well at Duke at least) and life is a bit crazy for these guys- some team was going to play poorly tonight. Unfortunately it is Duke. This is the Thursday night blues. It is too bad that this is only to benefit ESPN. This is not good for football and its players.

This is a bad excuse. It's a thursday for UNC as well. You play the games that are scheduled. They are getting beat hard.

jipops
Did I just go back in time about 4 or 5 years?

arnie
11-20-2014, 09:27 PM

Doesn't excuse poor play all around. If Duke believes your message, should refuse to play on Thursday.

mo.st.dukie
11-20-2014, 09:28 PM

I agree that Thursday football games are a stupid idea but still, both teams are in the same boat.

Devilwin
11-20-2014, 09:29 PM
I think Cut was out of it too at the end. Down 21 you have to play aggressive on the last series. Oh well, beat Wake and we win 9 games.

Play like this, we won't beat Wake. This team has lost their edge. We finish 8-5 with a bowl game playing like this. Disappointing. Hey Cut! Now you know why you can't put butts in the seats!!!!!!!

NYBri
11-20-2014, 09:32 PM
Play Sirk the second half. Build for next year. Not going win another game this year with Boone. Take the 8 wins and build for 2015.

Furniture
11-20-2014, 09:33 PM
This is a bad excuse. It's a thursday for UNC as well. You play the games that are scheduled. They are getting beat hard.

My thoughts exactly...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
Did I just go back in time about 4 or 5 years?

This

gep

Yes... both teams should feel the same effects for a Thursday game. But, Duke kids DO go to class :cool:

wilson
Can we mothball those godawful uniforms now? Their only saving grace is that we at least don't look quite as ridiculous as unc.

fuse
11-20-2014, 09:34 PM
Sad thing is, even with poor offense we were in the Miami and VT games. We definitely got lucky with Pitt. This is the only game this season we've just simply been outplayed on both sides of the ball.

Given our history, 9-3 would be amazing, and I still want to beat the Heels.

Hoping for a miracle second half.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-20-2014, 09:35 PM
Jeebus H Christopherson. Is this 2007? C'mon boys! Wake the hell up!

This

Coballs
11-20-2014, 09:35 PM

It's Thurs night for UNC too. Can't use that as an excuse.

gep
11-20-2014, 09:36 PM
Given our history, 9-3 would be amazing, and I still want to beat the Heels.

Hoping for a miracle second half.

Yes... and contending for division champions for the 2nd consecutive year is equally amazing.

Coballs
11-20-2014, 09:39 PM
Boone should get just one more shot. If the first drive goes nowhere, Sirk must be put in.

And enough with the silver lining posts about how "we're having a winning season...we're going to a bowl game..." blah, blah, blah. All true, but this thread is about this huge game at home against UNC and we didn't show up in the first half.

duke79
11-20-2014, 09:45 PM
Can we mothball those godawful uniforms now? Their only saving grace is that we at least don't look quite as ridiculous as unc.

I'm not a big fan of the black uniforms, either. What is the point? NOT Duke color.

jipops
11-20-2014, 09:47 PM
Almost seems like Duke felt they could just not show up tonight yet still receive an A.

ChrisP
11-20-2014, 09:48 PM
I knew that last throw by Boone was gonna be bad as soon as I saw him heave it downfield instead of making a smart throw to pick up the necessary THREE yards :(

ChrisP
11-20-2014, 09:52 PM
Boneheaded play by Fields on that 4th & 6. Didn't need to grab the receiver - we were bringing heat on the QB

duke79
11-20-2014, 09:55 PM
REALLY ugly !! It's like we've gone back five years.

duke09hms
11-20-2014, 09:55 PM
Play for the future, start giving these series to Sirk and Boehme.

jipops
11-20-2014, 09:56 PM
Clearly losing to VT was a very bad sign. Whatever mojo we had in October seems completely gone now.

6th Man
11-20-2014, 09:57 PM
First time in a long time I've wanted to turn a Duke football game off. Painful to watch.

davekay1971
Well this is a disappointing game.

Time to scroll the Ymmm Beer thread and find some antidotes.

duke79
and it's embaressing........especially on national TV. I'm sure ESPN is not happy with the score.

Devilwin
11-20-2014, 09:58 PM
Play for the future, start giving these series to Sirk and Boehme.

Exactly. Seen enough of him. This team simply was not ready, and that's on the coach 100%.
Meanwhile, Boone continues to suck.

moonpie23
11-20-2014, 10:04 PM
this has got to be awesome for unc fans.....all the sludge on them from the scandal.....looking at duke fans as flame-throwers, they have focused all the bad things that have been directed at them and are using em for motivation....

really awful.....

subzero02
11-20-2014, 10:05 PM
This is ugly...

HK Dukie
This just in from the NCAA....UNC season vacated

Duke wins

please?

NYBri
Wake will beat us with Boone in there. Sirk and play for 2015.

duke09hms
11-20-2014, 10:06 PM
I'm afraid of what this means for the program. All these fans here just to see us embarrassed in a blowout. Why would they come back? Why should we be taken seriously on the national stage?

arnie
11-20-2014, 10:08 PM
Exactly. Seen enough of him. This team simply was not ready, and that's on the coach 100%.
Meanwhile, Boone continues to suck.

Surely if Boone goes 3 and out on the coming series, he sits for rest of game. Cut's big on loyalty, but . . . .

brickey
11-20-2014, 10:10 PM
I'm afraid of what this means for the program. All these fans here just to see us embarrassed in a blowout. Why would they come back? Why should we be taken seriously on the national stage?

Our kids went to real classes today, did theirs?

Troublemaker
11-20-2014, 10:20 PM
Yikes! Can we Next Play in football, too?

The pleasantness of this season can still be saved. Beat Wake and win our bowl game.

moonpie23
11-20-2014, 10:21 PM

i can't agree with this sentiment....Our basketball team has been blown out on numerous occasions......no one says "we're done with them"

the reason they are going to come back is Cut is still the coach, better talent will be recruited, and more games will be won....

Come on...we're not that fickle are we?

duke09hms
11-20-2014, 10:23 PM
i can't agree with this sentiment....Our basketball team has been blown out on numerous occasions......no one says "we're done with them"

the reason they are going to come back is Cut is still the coach, better talent will be recruited, and more games will be won....

Our basketball team has a history of sustained excellence that football doesn't have. We hype up the team so much, huge UNC game on national TV, and we crap the bed ... not good. We're not talking about the hardcore fans like you and me posting here, it's the neutral ones. They won't be coming back for a while.

Look at all the success Stanford has had. 4 straight BCS bowls. They're 5-5 this year, and they have a half-empty stadium for their last game, a loss to Utah.
Attendance declines to pre-Harbaugh levels. http://www.mercurynews.com/peninsula/ci_26957176/reid-column-so-sad-stanford-football-many-fronts
Fans are fickle for these small private schools. And that's with a large nearby alumni base in SF.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-20-2014, 10:24 PM

No, but this puts the kaibosh on the "why don't we play prime time" for another season.

bbosbbos
11-20-2014, 10:31 PM
You are talking about me. I do not know fb at all. This afternoon I gave two Duke-UNC fb tickets to co-worker for free. I can not tolerate our performance from the Pitt to VT.

Our basketball team has a history of sustained excellence that football doesn't have. We hype up the team so much, huge UNC game on national TV, and we crap the bed ... not good. We're not talking about the hardcore fans like you and me posting here, it's the neutral ones. They won't be coming back for a while.

dukelifer
11-20-2014, 10:31 PM
It's Thurs night for UNC too. Can't use that as an excuse.

Actually- you can. The NFL games have been lopsided on Thursday. One team usually dominates and strange things happen. Right now Oakland is beating KC!

duke09hms
11-20-2014, 10:33 PM
You are talking about me. I do not know fb at all. This afternoon I gave two Duke-UNC fb tickets to co-worker for free. I can not tolerate our performance from the Pitt to VT.

I don't blame you, friend. Hope you'll come back next year. Sorry about the tease.

bbosbbos
11-20-2014, 10:41 PM
Thanks. From the 1st fb game this year, I bought an expensive sports package from twc, hoping to learn fb and enjoy good Duke bb. But...

Anyway, I am a Duke bb fan. Go Duke!

I don't blame you, friend. Hope you'll come back next year. Sorry about the tease.

Mabdul Doobakus
11-20-2014, 10:50 PM
Got home from work around 9:45 PM and ended up fast forwarding through most of the game. So many mistakes early on...just a continuation of last week. I don't understand what happened to this team. I feel bad for the players, though...just 5 days ago this season had so much promise.

Three years ago playing in any bowl game at all would have been quite the achievement. But after two years of sustained success, the Belk Bowl or whatever isn't going to carry the same level of excitement.

duke09hms
11-20-2014, 10:54 PM
Johnell Barnes coming alive. 3 quarters late.

Boone follows it up with a pass into the dirt on 3rd and 3. Then takes off on 4th and 3, easily has the 1st down when he decides to throw wildly into the endzone. WHY!!!

moonpie23
11-20-2014, 10:56 PM
they came to play....best game for them all year.....

ChrisP
11-20-2014, 10:58 PM

Boone follows it up with a pass into the dirt on 3rd and 3. Then takes off on 4th and 3, easily has the 1st down when he decides to throw wildly into the endzone. WHY!!!

Yeah, I thought he could have run for it, too but...unc did have defenders closing

Kfanarmy
11-20-2014, 10:58 PM

That was a booneheaded play. Inexplicable

Furniture
11-20-2014, 11:01 PM
One game doesn't define what a fine FB team Duke have. Congrats to the team from the University of The People. They came to play tonight....

duke09hms
11-20-2014, 11:04 PM
We can't let Sirk pass a few times?

fisheyes
11-20-2014, 11:05 PM
Close the thread. Put this out of our misery.

El_Diablo
11-20-2014, 11:10 PM
Anyone know any good hotels in Shreveport?