PDA

View Full Version : The Walton Rankings - 2015 edition

uh_no
11-15-2014, 10:05 AM
Time for a new season of tracking the Walton 1!

The Huskies retain their title gained against St Joe's in the "second round" of the tournament last year (and held through the championship) as the season begins. After a terrible start last night, they put together a good half against Bryant to maintain the the title for at least another game. Next up for them is the College of Charleston next thursday, though I'd *expect* them to win there....the first big test is 11/30 against texas.

Should Uconn hold on to that game, it's likely that they would go into 12/18's Duke matchup with the walton title on the line.

If they were to lose to duke, the next most probably path should it find it's way to duke would be
texas->UK->UNC/UL->duke

So we shall see! It spent the majority of two years ago in the ACC, and the majority of last year moving around mid-major land...but it's always fun to watch!

sagegrouse
11-15-2014, 10:37 AM
Time for a new season of tracking the Walton 1!

The Huskies retain their title gained against St Joe's in the "second round" of the tournament last year (and held through the championship) as the season begins. After a terrible start last night, they put together a good half against Bryant to maintain the the title for at least another game. Next up for them is the College of Charleston next thursday, though I'd *expect* them to win there....the first big test is 11/30 against texas.

Should Uconn hold on to that game, it's likely that they would go into 12/18's Duke matchup with the walton title on the line.

If they were to lose to duke, the next most probably path should it find it's way to duke would be
texas->UK->UNC/UL->duke

So we shall see! It spent the majority of two years ago in the ACC, and the majority of last year moving around mid-major land...but it's always fun to watch!

Uh No, can we circle back and review the topic for the clueless among us?

theAlaskanBear
11-15-2014, 10:43 AM
Uh No, can we circle back and review the topic for the clueless among us?

Imagine a wrestling or boxing title belt...you don't lose it until you lose, and then it passes to whomever beat you.

Silly in the context of basketball.

-jk
11-15-2014, 10:43 AM
The backstory:

I was watching the Cal-Stanford game last night (great win for Johnny D's kids) and Bill Walton was doing the game.

He said that Cal was No. 1 because they just beat No. 1 (Arizona) and that's the way "algebra" works -- to be No. 1 you have to beat No. 1 (don't get me started on his use of the word algebra).

Even if you concede his system, there was a flaw in his reasoning -- Arizona never beat No. 1 ... they were voted No. 1 by the pollsters.

So who should be No. 1 in the Walton Universe?

That depends on who starts as No. 1.

If you start with preseason No. 1 Kentucky, it goes from Kentucky to Michigan State to UNC to Texas to Michigan State again to Michigan and most recently to Indiana, which hasn't lost since beating Michigan.

But you could start with the defending national champ -- Louisville. In that case, it goes from Louisville to UNC to UAB to LSU to Rhode Island to St. Louis, which is still No. 1.

Which do you think has the better case? Indiana? Or St. Louis?

-jk

uh_no
11-26-2014, 02:57 PM
Stalled as long as possible.....but

With Uconn's loss to West Virginia in the puerto rico tip off last sunday, the walton title has officially been transferred.

West virginia's next game is tonight against VMI.

The best chance of a move to the good guys is via a loss ot NCSU or VT. Other possibilities include an unlikely loss to VMI and then through VT, or perhaps through college of charleston and miami.

NSDukeFan
11-26-2014, 03:47 PM
Stalled as long as possible.....but

With Uconn's loss to West Virginia in the puerto rico tip off last sunday, the walton title has officially been transferred.

West virginia's next game is tonight against VMI.

The best chance of a move to the good guys is via a loss ot NCSU or VT. Other possibilities include an unlikely loss to VMI and then through VT, or perhaps through college of charleston and miami.

Does UConn retain the title from last year or is it a new year and does the #1 appointed team get the Walton title? Didn't Walton start it with someone knocking off the #1 team in the country?

uh_no
11-26-2014, 05:31 PM
Does UConn retain the title from last year or is it a new year and does the #1 appointed team get the Walton title? Didn't Walton start it with someone knocking off the #1 team in the country?

hmmmm...perhaps we have a split title!!!

kmspeaks
11-26-2014, 06:09 PM

hmmmm...perhaps we have a split title!!!

I'm sure the Helms Bakery would be happy to provide banners.

uh_no
01-10-2015, 09:37 PM
after passing from connecticut to west virginia on 11/23, LSU took over on 12/4

LSU lost this past thursday to missouri, which means that the belt will most likely stick with the SEC until tournament time.

OldPhiKap
01-10-2015, 09:42 PM
after passing from connecticut to west virginia on 11/23, LSU took over on 12/4

LSU lost this past thursday to missouri, which means that the belt will most likely stick with the SEC until tournament time.

Missouri has Kentucky coming up very soon.

devildeac
01-10-2015, 10:27 PM
Missouri has Kentucky coming up very soon.

But not soon enough:

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400597326

I guess.

OldPhiKap
01-10-2015, 10:31 PM
But not soon enough:

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400597326

I guess.

Just looked at their schedule, Auburn does not play a non-SEC team the rest of the year. But not KY until late Feb, so should move on soon.

bedeviled
02-24-2015, 12:09 AM
I'm dumbfounded that kenpom thinks Utah (among others) is better than Duke, and I haven't noticed any threads supporting his rankings this year. Soooo, I decided, instead, to take a look at the gold standard.

Since last updated on Jan 10, Walton's #1 has made the following journey.
1/10 Missouri --> Auburn
1/15 Auburn --> Florida
1/17 Florida --> Georgia
1/31 Georgia --> South Carolina
2/3 South Carolina --> Arkansas

There is a title bout today (2/24) when Arkansas hosts Texas A&M. If Arkansas retains the belt, they risk a dethroning again on 2/28 @ Kentucky.

El_Diablo
04-07-2015, 09:58 AM
The belt is ours!

Kentucky took it on 2/28 and held it until being taken down by Wisconsin, who held it for two days before relinquishing it to the Blue Devils.

OldPhiKap
04-07-2015, 10:13 AM
The belt is ours!

Kentucky took it on 2/28 and held it until being taken down by Wisconsin, who held it for two days before relinquishing it to the Blue Devils.

Nice. Good to know that the universe is centered again!

COYS
04-07-2015, 10:16 AM

Let's hang a banner!

jimsumner
04-07-2015, 11:11 AM
Let's hang a banner!

For the universe being centered? :)

OldPhiKap
04-07-2015, 11:15 AM
Let's hang a banner!

For the universe being centered? :)

Unfortunately, we're going to start needing smaller banners to fit them all on the north wall.

devildeac
04-07-2015, 12:35 PM

Order has been restored. Or whatever the t-shirt that shall not be printed/promoted/manufactured stated;).

Tappan Zee Devil
04-07-2015, 03:16 PM
Order has been restored. Or whatever the t-shirt that shall not be printed/promoted/manufactured stated;).

Yes - "Order has been restored"

I am wearing mine today :)

-jk
04-07-2015, 10:23 PM
Long Live our Walton #1!

-jk

devildeac
04-07-2015, 11:20 PM
Long Live our Walton #1!

-jk

Hell, yea!

Raise a banner to commemorate it!

NSDukeFan
04-08-2015, 01:01 PM
Does Duke start with the belt next year or does it go to preseason #1?

wilson
04-08-2015, 01:05 PM
Does Duke start with the belt next year or does it go to preseason #1?Stays with us...the "belt" is held by the reigning champion until someone beats that team.