PDA

View Full Version : N&O Preseason Picks

mbwalker
11-13-2014, 03:00 PM
Found it interesting that of the four analysts who made their picks for the ACC, three have UNC finishing first and one has UVa first. Three have Duke third, one Duke second.

All four have Marcus Paige as Player of the Year. Three have Okafor as Rookie of the year (the other has Tyus Jones!).

My question is this: did all of the analysts attend UNC, or only three of them?

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/11/12/4316936/2014-15-acc-basketball-preseason.html

Duvall
11-13-2014, 03:02 PM
My question is this: did all of the analysts attend UNC, or only three of them?

No - NC State (x2), Duke and Penn, I think.

superdave
11-13-2014, 03:24 PM
I have asked several big Unc fans what they expect this season. They expect to be top 10 but in the second five. They do not know how much Paige will play at point vs. off the ball. They have no idea what they will get out of the other point guards. They think Meeks will be great some games and disappear others. They are all excited about Jackson. They are certain that Roy will never settle on a good rotation because he has too many scholarship players.

So the media picking Unc is kinda funny considering lower fan expectations. I guess that's what sells newspapers in the Raleigh area, and they need the income.

sagegrouse
11-13-2014, 03:28 PM
I have asked several big Unc fans what they expect this season. They expect to be top 10 but in the second five. They do not know how much Paige will play at point vs. off the ball. They have no idea what they will get out of the other point guards. They think Meeks will be great some games and disappear others. They are all excited about Jackson. They are certain that Roy will never settle on a good rotation because he has too many scholarship players.

So the media picking Unc is kinda funny considering lower fan expectations. I guess that's what sells newspapers in the Raleigh area, and they need the income.

Reporters are notoriously difficult to manage, but -- having said that -- picking UNC first in the ACC may be just an early Valentine from the N&O to UNC, an air kiss to help offset the "ongoing unpleasantness."

subzero02
11-13-2014, 04:06 PM
I think that unpleasantness will be kicked up a notch in about 28 hours, after they've gotten a look at our squad.

Bluegrassdevil1
11-13-2014, 04:12 PM
Duke could possibly lose out on the regular season "title"/one seed due to an opponent having a more favorable schedule than Duke (Virginia and UofL certainly fit the bill), but if this Blue Devil team finishes third in the ACC, I will be shocked.

UNC will be good, but I am highly unconvinced that they have much outside of their starting lineup.

U of L has Harrell, but U of L fans are the most unrealistic, faux silver lining, persecution complex driven fan base in college sports (Maryland was Skywalker to their Yoda, and that is from living in DC and Columbus), but they are HIGHLY concerned that the team will WILDLY inconsistent beyond Harrell. Their ACC schedule is quite favorable, but they will likely be upset numerous times.

Virginia's ACC schedule is quite... kind for a second consecutive year, but I cannot see them losing fewer than five or six ACC games this season, and most importantly, I do not think they will succeed as well with the champion label.

If Duke is not the superior team in the ACC team this season, then I can only imagine the team struggled with numerous injuries or illnesses.

jv001
11-13-2014, 04:13 PM
Reporters are notoriously difficult to manage, but -- having said that -- picking UNC first in the ACC may be just an early Valentine from the N&O to UNC, an air kiss to help offset the "ongoing unpleasantness."

That's what I was thinking after reading the N&O predictions. I hope the N&O keeps hitting them with article after article about their cheating ways. Plus, it seems that the "kiss of death" is put on the team picked to finish first. GoDuke!

arnie
11-13-2014, 05:35 PM
No - NC State (x2), Duke and Penn, I think.

Rather surprised Keeley had us 3rd. Thought she'd pick us around 7th or 8th. I actually don't disagree with UNC at 1. They return so much more from last year. Of course, who really cares about these picks.

jipops
11-13-2014, 07:28 PM
The picks all seem reasonable to me. The Heels have a combination of talent and experience that few have. I think the writers are simply counting on Paige to put them on his back like he did for much of last season

Virginia is also loaded with experience which accounts for a lot in ACC play.

I think there is just a little more uncertainty when it comes to us. And I'm sure the stain of last year's poor season-long defensive showing lingers in their minds. Besides Okafor, can the freshmen handle the rigors of ACC play and produce consistently? Will Duke get reliable perimeter scoring from any or all of Cook, Jones, Jones, and Sheed? I think we will but given that Duke will be relying so heavily on freshmen as opposed to UVA and uNC, that probably just gives the writers a bit more pause. Though I think they are discounting our experienced core of Amile, Cook, and Sheed.

Seems lately we're picked to finish first in the conference and fail to do so, haven't since the 2010 tie with Maryland. To me this is a nice change of pace.

weezie
11-13-2014, 08:55 PM
Of course, who really cares about these picks.

Yeah, I guess I'm just getting too old for any local homer baloney. Who cares indeed.

RepoMan
11-13-2014, 09:28 PM
The rankings don't bother me at all. In fact, I like whatever minimal motivation they may provide to someone on the team.

On the other hand, I think they are way off the mark. People seem to forget the significance of having a dominant big man in college. (And, when Coach K promotes a player the way he has Jahil, then you know you have real deal, even if he hasn't played a second in a regular season college game). When you have a team where guys like Rasheed and Quinn are not cracking the starting rotation, and you have a starting center like Jahil -- well, get ready for a nice ride and enjoy it because they don't happen all that often. We are going to enjoy a lot of stress-free games this season.