OUT

CB Alonzo Saxton II (shoulder)

OUT FOR SEASON

LB Kelby Brown (leg)

TE Braxton Deaver (leg)

DE Taariq Shabazz (leg)

OldPhiKap
11-13-2014, 01:19 PM
Mercifully short. After hearing Cut's comments Tuesday about not going with full contact, I was concerned that the list might be lengthy.

Beat the Hokies!

devildeac
11-13-2014, 01:27 PM
Duke Football Injury Report

Duke vs. Virginia Tech

November 13, 2014

OUT

CB Alonzo Saxton II (shoulder)

OUT FOR SEASON

LB Kelby Brown (leg)

TE Braxton Deaver (leg)

DE Taariq Shabazz (leg)

Truly amazing. Missing 1 special teams player/back-up DB plus the 3 that have been out all year.

Thanks, Jim.

jimsumner
11-13-2014, 01:35 PM
Truly amazing. Missing 1 special teams player/back-up DB plus the 3 that have been out all year.

Thanks, Jim.

Notably absent from the injury list for the last couple of weeks is tight end Dan Beilinson. He played a lot on special teams last season. Given Duke's lack of depth at tight end, I was hoping he might get back to speed by the end of the season. But he hasn't taken a snap this season.

And a redshirt is not an option. He's already had one non-injury redshirt, so sitting out this season would not give him any extra eligibility.

Olympic Fan
11-13-2014, 03:26 PM
Mercifully short. After hearing Cut's comments Tuesday about not going with full contact, I was concerned that the list might be lengthy.

Beat the Hokies!

Steve Logan was talking about the difference between playing hurt and playing injured. His point was that no coach wants to play a player who has an injury ... but that EVERY player has to play hurt at times.

I think that while Duke doesn't have many injuries this week, a lot of guys will be playing hurt. How that impacts performance, I don't know.

On the other hand, Virginia Tech has a LOT of injuries (including some key players), but after an open week, I doubt many of the guys who get in the game will be playing hurt.

FWIW, Boone said Tuesday that he came out of the Syracuse game in MUCH better shape than he emerged from the Pitt game. He was really hurting after that one.

Dev11
11-13-2014, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the report as always, Jim. I have a question about it in general. Are the coaches required to post an injury report, and is there some accountability to it? If I was a coach, I wouldn't say anything about my players' injuries. Let the other team speculate based on game tape how healthy my guys are, so they have to prepare more. Sure, they know Kelby Brown isn't coming back from a torn ACL in August, but that's all I want them to know.

jimsumner
11-13-2014, 07:08 PM
Yes, they are required and I think the coaches are reasonably honest about this.

The intent isn't to inform opposing coaches, fans or media.

The reason why injury reports at the college and professional level have become standardized is to keep gamblers from profiting through inside information not available to everyone else.

loran16
11-14-2014, 07:02 AM
Yes, they are required and I think the coaches are reasonably honest about this.

The intent isn't to inform opposing coaches, fans or media.

The reason why injury reports at the college and professional level have become standardized is to keep gamblers from profiting through inside information not available to everyone else.

Jim are you sure about this? Apparently Pittsburgh does NOT publish their injury report. According to one of their beat writers however, they do send it to the league and to their opponent, they just don't publicize it.

budwom
11-14-2014, 08:16 AM
I do know that in the past we've had injuries to starters which have not made the injury report and which have prevented them from playing, for what that's worth.
Not many perhaps, but definitely some.