PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Duke, Jeter and Kennard!

OldPhiKap
11-12-2014, 08:29 PM
Per front page:

[url]http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2014/11/12/7212199/jeter-kennard-make-it-official-sign-with-duke-basketball[/ur

Welcome, Chase and Luke!

Meanwhile, big whiff by UNC today too. Good day!

AncientPsychicT
11-12-2014, 09:20 PM
Per front page:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2014/11/12/7212199/jeter-kennard-make-it-official-sign-with-duke-basketball

Welcome, Chase and Luke!

Fixed the link for you. :)

devildeac
11-12-2014, 09:26 PM
Per front page:

[url]http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2014/11/12/7212199/jeter-kennard-make-it-official-sign-with-duke-basketball[/ur

Welcome, Chase and Luke!

Here's the (attempt to copy and paste the) link for the whiff:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2014/11/12/7212213/p-j-dozier-picks-south-carolina-over-north-carolina

From just under the picture that introduces the article:

"You'd think they might have had enough of P.J.'s lately anyway."

:D

CoSprings
11-13-2014, 04:31 AM
I watched both guys play this summer on Team USA with Winslowe and Tyus. First, Kennard is a special player. He reminded me of a cross between Dunleavy and Singler, but with a bit of a Laettner edge to him. He will easily be 'that guy' on Duke's roster that everyone will love to hate. What an honor! He's very athletic, sees the court really well, and can shoot the 3. He could easily be a point/forward as needed.

Jeter was a bit buried behind Zimmerman and Myles Turner to get a lot of playing time during the games I saw. He runs the court really well, seems to have good hands, but obviously just needs to add some muscle and weight. That would be my only concern moving forward, he got pushed around a lot but he has plenty of time to grow into his growing body. Seems like a great kid.

Welcome to Duke young men, glad to have you on the train.

Scorp4me
11-13-2014, 09:11 AM
http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/x205865901/Duke-Carolina-basketball-land-strong-recruiting-classes

Is the thread title a bit misleading. I mean I guess if you include absolutely everything it's technically right, but...stretching it.

Duvall
11-13-2014, 11:46 AM
http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/x205865901/Duke-Carolina-basketball-land-strong-recruiting-classes

Is the thread title a bit misleading. I mean I guess if you include absolutely everything it's technically right, but...stretching it.

Well, three out of four's not bad.

devildeac
11-13-2014, 12:45 PM

Another misleading item is using c*rolina and class in the same sentence/phrase:rolleyes:.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-13-2014, 12:50 PM
All of a sudden the DHS is by paid subscription only. Not gonna do it :(

OZZIE4DUKE
11-13-2014, 02:07 PM

I retract my statement. On my phone I got a message telling me I had to subscribe and the that I had to choose a plan. On my desktop I got to the linked story. I know I've never paid for a subscription, but maybe I had signed up to get their content - I don't remember. One of many things I don't remember :p

BD80
11-13-2014, 02:37 PM

Its a ploy by unc to keep people from hearing the truth.

devildeac
11-13-2014, 04:54 PM

They can't handle the truth.

-bdbd
11-13-2014, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE
All of a sudden the DHS is by paid subscription only. Not gonna do it

Boy, have things really changed *THAT* much since I was a student there? I could never have imagined hearing the DHS referred to as "the truth" in my day.... "Fish-wrap," maybe - actually quite often - but never "the truth." ;)

gumbomoop
02-13-2015, 11:45 AM
Trouble, I really respect your opinion, so I'm asking this question in all sincerity: can your description of what to expect from Jeter *possibly* be correct? He's a top ten recruit, and he's a potential redshirt candidate? He's a top ten recruit, and he's a couple of years away from contributing? I realize it happens sometimes that top ten guys take multiple years to arrive, but when it does we're talking about a player who failed to develop as expected given his ranking.

When is the last Duke top ten recruit whose expectations could be said to be so minimal? I have to think Jeter plays a greater role next year than this description suggests.

Des, if I were in your shoes, I would be skeptical as well. I have decent respect for the work that recruiting analysts do that if random internet poster like myself is out of line with RSCI's combined recruiting rankings, I would trust RSCI over random internet poster.

Additionally, I believe either Jim Sumner or Olympic Fan is already on record somewhere on this forum that he expects Chase Jeter to be a contributor next season. On that alone, you should probably just ignore the rest of this post.

That said, if you're asking me to clarify my thoughts on Chase and are interested in that clarification, even though it should definitely be ignored given the above, here goes:

1 - The key thing to remember about Chase is that he's young for his high school class. When fall semester starts, Chase is going to be 17-years-old. And he'll be entering an NCAA basketball environment where it's fairly common to see 19-yr-old or sometimes even 20-yr-old freshmen because most parents of athletes are hip to the trick of holding back your son a year or two in school to give him an even greater advantage over his peers.

Chase has a lot of physical development to do, especially in the lower body to be able to anchor in the post at the college level. Anecdotal evidence of this: DraftExpress attended tryouts for the FIBA U18 team (http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2014-FIBA-U18-Americas-Championship-US-Scouting-Reports-4634/) and, in their scouting report, noted that Chase was "pushed around mercilessly in the post" and that "lack of strength affects him in every facet of the game." This was playing against older high-school players, and I think the same will happen playing against older college players.

2 - I follow recruiting pretty closely, and the recruiting analysts seem to generally agree that the 2015 class is a weak class and definitely weaker than the surrounding 2014 and 2016 classes. So, it's possible that a top 10 recruit in 2015 translates to being top 20 in 2014 / 2016.

3 - And that assumes that the 2015 order is correct. I actually think that even within the 2015 rankings, Chase and his high school teammate Stephen Zimmerman may be slightly overrated. Anecdotal evidence of this: in RSCI, Ivan Rabb, Chase, and Zimmerman are ranked #5, #8, and #14, respectively. Given those rankings, you would think that if Rabb played against Chase and Zimmerman, it would be a pretty even battle inside, with perhaps an edge to Chase and Zimmerman since there are two of them and only one of Rabb.

Hasn't worked out that way. Rabb has dominated the duo in two consecutive seasons. This season. (http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_27037519/prep-roundup-college-park-boys-basketball-holds-off) Last season. (http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2013/dec/20/stephen-zimmeran-ivan-rabb-bishop-gorman/)

Given all that, Chase may be nominally a top 10 recruit, but in my head -- which again should be ignored -- I've been thinking of him as more like a top 25 recruit who enters college underdeveloped physically relative to his peers. Projection-wise, I think Chase will not be part of the playing rotation his first season removed from high school, and I don't think he'll be a starter until his third season removed from high school. Would be downright thrilled to be wrong, of course.

I've imported these tag quotes from Kennard thread, as Jeter is the player being discussed here. Seems sensible to make this the current Chase Jeter thread. This discussion grew out of an emerging comparison of guru rankings of Luke and Chase.

Des Esseintes has spotted a possible inconsistency in an earlier Troublemaker post on Chase Jeter. And here Troublemaker gives us a thorough explanation of his skepticism that Chase will be a big contributor right away.

It's perhaps even tougher than usual to predict the impact of a frosh next season, given uncertainties about whether Tyus and Justise will be here. This on top of unexpected departures of Semi and Rasheed. So all discussions of 2015-16 will develop and alter depending on decisions by Tyus, Justise, Ingram, Swanigan.

Still, Troublemaker's answer to Des Esseintes is admirable for its civility and self-effacement, but also for its confidence and thoroughness. Will Chase be strong enough? Will he be ready at some point his first year to challenge any of Marshall, Amile, or Sean for minutes on the interior? OTOH, will any of those 3 display a go-to move as good as Chase's very promising jump-hook? Certainly none of the other 3 bigs seems likely to be a threat from 15 feet, whereas Chase does seem likely to be able to hit from there. While Chase needs muscle, he's got shot-block length and shot-block aspirations. Don't know about Sean, and Amile seems to prefer to take charges rather than challenge drivers.

Further, Chase is the only big with even a remote chance to be able to move to the wing, in case our numbers out there are perilously thin, i.e., no Winslow, no Ingram.

So, while I agree with Troublemaker that we might wonder just a little about whether Chase's high guru number will translate into significant minutes next season, Chase does have real talents that would definitely help, if he gains a little weight, if he picks up on D-principles early, if he's confident. The only way, IMO, "Chase will not be part of the playing rotation his first season," is if 2 of Tyus, Justise, Swanigan, and Ingram are at Duke next season. Even then, if it's the last 2, Chase will challenge.

gumbomoop
02-13-2015, 01:11 PM
Jeter reported several months ago that K saw him as a 3 long term and that he (Jeter) was working on those skills.

[another import from Kennard thread]

Intriguing, and fits a 2015-16 scenario in which Chase might log a few minutes on the wing out of necessity, if our perimeter numbers are unusually low.

He seems a stretch-4. Sure hope he's strong enough to play some inside, though, as his jump-hook is go-to.