PDA

View Full Version : The ACC: Week 12

CameronBornAndBred
11-11-2014, 08:47 AM
Quoted from another thread...

I don't know where the best place to post this would be but I wanted to let people know Pitt is a 2 point underdog at UNC .. I am baffled by this spread and bet the farm on the panthers... (it's an ant farm).

Also... Duke now stands as a 5.5 favorite over V. Tech. I am sure the confusion over the o/u came from misreading the -110 that generally accompanies the point spread. 110 is the amount that is risked in order to win 100 "credits" (ie 10 percent losers fee).
That's pretty mind boggling about the UNC spread. I'd spend money on a few of those ants, too. Pitt is going to have a field day against the UNC defense.

devildeac
11-11-2014, 11:11 AM
Quoted from another thread...

That's pretty mind boggling about the UNC spread. I'd spend money on a few of those ants, too. Pitt is going to have a field day against the UNC defense.

But, will Pitt be able to stop the unc offense? A long-time Pitt fan friend of mine wants to send us their DC and their HC (I told him politely, no thanks;).) so the Pitt fans are none-too-happy this year.

I hope Connor rushes for another career high this weekend and gets all the carries his legs will allow, scoring 5-6 TDs in the process and Pitt wins 49-35. Plus, I hope their PK is a lot more accurate this Saturday:D.

BigWayne
11-11-2014, 11:18 AM
I don't know where the best place to post this would be but I wanted to let people know Pitt is a 2 point underdog at UNC .. I am baffled by this spread and bet the farm on the panthers... (it's an ant farm).

Also... Duke now stands as a 5.5 favorite over V. Tech. I am sure the confusion over the o/u came from misreading the -110 that generally accompanies the point spread. 110 is the amount that is risked in order to win 100 "credits" (ie 10 percent losers fee).

Pitt and UNC have identical records and very close numerical ratings in internet rankings. The game is at UNC, which is why they get favored. If the game was at Pitt, it would be a similar point spread the other way most likely.

BigWayne
11-12-2014, 06:09 PM
Well, this is really for next week, but Louisville lost their QB (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/louisville-qb-will-gardner-out-for-season-with-knee-injury-192503892.html) for the season. They are done with their ACC schedule, but are slated for their chance to put another L on Notre Dame next week.

Olympic Fan
11-12-2014, 06:21 PM
This is the best ACC week of the season -- five games and they all mean something.

FSU at Miami is, of course, the national headliner. It's going to determine whether FSU remains a contender for the Final Four (they HAVE to win out to make the Final Four). Miami needs the win to keep its hopes of playing in the ACC title game alive.

That also depends on Clemson at Georgia Tech. Dashaun Watson back for the Tigers and that makes them formidable. The game is being billed as a battle for the Orange Bowl (I guess they are assuming FSU wins out and 8-1 Duke doesn't slide into the picture. It would help us if Clemson could hand Tech its third ACC loss. But if Ga Tech wins, it helps our Orange Bowl chances.

Virginia Tech at Duke also has championship impact -- for Duke, which is trying to win out in the Coastal. VPI ain't winning any titles, but the 4-5 Hokies need to win two of their last three to keep their bowl streak (which started in 1993) alive. They could lose to Duke and still do it -- they finish with Wake and Virginia.

Pitt at UNC also involves two 4-5 teams trying to get bowl eligible. The winner is in good shape, but the loser has to win out. UNC still has at Duke and NC State in Chapel Hill; Pitt has a winnable game with Syracuse and a tough one at Miami.

Then there is Wake at NC State. The Deacs are done for the year, but NC State has five wins and needs a sixth to get to a bowl and mute some of the criticism of Dave Doeren. This is the best chance, although it would be much sweeter if NCS gets the sixth win in the finale against UNC.

Wander
11-12-2014, 06:36 PM
Pitt and UNC have identical records and very close numerical ratings in internet rankings.

Totally agreed. They seem almost exactly the same in quality to me.

The more interesting line of the week is that FSU is only a 1.5 point favorite at Miami.

BigWayne
11-12-2014, 08:33 PM
Then there is Wake at NC State. The Deacs are done for the year, but NC State has five wins and needs a sixth to get to a bowl and mute some of the criticism of Dave Doeren. This is the best chance, although it would be much sweeter if NCS gets the sixth win in the finale against UNC.

Even sweeter is the chance to put L #7 on the tarheels. If they lose to Pitt, we will get our chance next Thursday, otherwise it's up to Duke and State to tag team them to send them home for the holidays.

OldPhiKap
11-12-2014, 08:41 PM
Even sweeter is the chance to put L #7 on the tarheels. If they lose to Pitt, we will get our chance next Thursday, otherwise it's up to Duke and State to tag team them to send them home for the holidays.

i just hope Pitt softens them up for our running game. Pitt is punishing on a defense.

From the one game I saw (with us), Pitt is held back by questionable coaching as opposed to talent on the field. It is a good and talented team. Hope they put the wood to the Heels.

devildeac
11-12-2014, 09:19 PM
i just hope Pitt softens them up for our running game. Pitt is punishing on a defense.

From the one game I saw (with us), Pitt is held back by questionable coaching as opposed to talent on the field. It is a good and talented team. Hope they put the wood to the Heels.

A buddy of mine who is a long-time Pitt fan congratulated me/us after we beat them and said he and a lot of other Pitt supporters wanted to send us their HC and their DC. I politely declined;).

brevity
11-13-2014, 09:58 AM
A buddy of mine who is a long-time Pitt fan congratulated me/us after we beat them and said he and a lot of other Pitt supporters wanted to send us their HC and their DC. I politely declined;).

You misunderstood. They were offering hard cider and distilled cider.

devildeac
11-13-2014, 10:19 AM
You misunderstood. They were offering hard cider and distilled cider.

Nice try, but he was quite clear it was the coaching staff;). Now, if he had mentioned some Pennsylvania ales/lagers...

OldPhiKap
11-13-2014, 10:45 AM
Nice try, but he was quite clear it was the coaching staff;). Now, if he had mentioned some Pennsylvania ales/lagers...

Rolling Rock, from Old Latrobe?

{ducks}

devildeac
11-13-2014, 10:59 AM
Rolling Rock, from Old Latrobe?

{ducks}

Ha! With that suggestion, you should duck, cover and run.

I had in mind some Stoudt's from Adamstown or Victory from Downingtown.

Bob Green
11-13-2014, 06:36 PM
That also depends on Clemson at Georgia Tech. Dashaun Watson back for the Tigers and that makes them formidable. The game is being billed as a battle for the Orange Bowl (I guess they are assuming FSU wins out and 8-1 Duke doesn't slide into the picture. It would help us if Clemson could hand Tech its third ACC loss. But if Ga Tech wins, it helps our Orange Bowl chances.

I see our Orange Bowl chances dependent upon two things:

1. We win out in the regular season.
2. Clemson loses and drops below us in the pecking order

Therefore, I'm pulling for a Georgia Tech victory. Georgia Tech winning cannot hurt us as long as we keep winning, but every Clemson victory makes it harder for us to overtake them in the polls.

AncientPsychicT
11-13-2014, 06:39 PM

Therefore, I'm pulling for a Georgia Tech victory. Georgia Tech winning cannot hurt us as long as we keep winning, but every Clemson victory makes it harder for us to overtake them in the polls.

Georgia Tech is only 1 spot behind us in the committee's poll. If they beat Clemson, there is a very real chance that they pass us, even if we win.

bob blue devil
11-13-2014, 06:43 PM

I agree we should be rooting for GT over Clemson. but I'm also worried that if both gt and Duke win out, then we lose to FSU in title game, GT might (likely would) leapfrog us. They're right behind us in the poll today and will have added wins vs Clemson and georgia

Wander
11-13-2014, 06:51 PM
I agree we should be rooting for GT over Clemson. but I'm also worried that if both gt and Duke win out, then we lose to FSU in title game, GT might (likely would) leapfrog us. They're right behind us in the poll today and will have added wins vs Clemson and georgia

Agreed. I actually think it's close to certain that GT would leapfrog us, given how little weight the committee is placing on head-to-head. We need GT to beat Clemson and then lose to UGA, or less ideal but maybe still workable is Clemson beating GT and then losing to South Carolina.

Obviously this all assumes Duke wins out in the regular season, if not then none of this matters.

Bob Green
11-13-2014, 07:15 PM
Georgia Tech is only 1 spot behind us in the committee's poll. If they beat Clemson, there is a very real chance that they pass us, even if we win.

I was confident it would not take long for someone to point out the weakness in my logic. :D

BigWayne
11-13-2014, 07:27 PM
Agreed. I actually think it's close to certain that GT would leapfrog us, given how little weight the committee is placing on head-to-head. We need GT to beat Clemson and then lose to UGA, or less ideal but maybe still workable is Clemson beating GT and then losing to South Carolina.

Obviously this all assumes Duke wins out in the regular season, if not then none of this matters.

Yes, whichever team wins the GT/Clemson game needs to lose to their SEC rival. Right now the odds favor UGA more than South Carolina in those matchups so I am rooting for GT over Clemson.

Newton_14
11-13-2014, 09:13 PM
I would just like to offer a line of reasoning to everyone for caution on the Pitt vs Cheaters game. Pitt, as great a running team as they are, are not the typical type team the cheaters struggle with. unc struggles with teams who spread you out and run the ball, much like Miami and others because they suck so bad at open field one on one tackling. Pitt however, is a line em up tight huge offensive line, smash you in the mouth running team. unc is much better equipped to deal with that type of running team as they are big themselves and athletic. I am not so sure Pitt will run it down their throat play after play the way they did us. Conner is a beast for sure and will for certain get yards, but doubtful he has a game like he had against us, and unc is more than capable of putting up huge offense numbers against Pitts woeful defense.

I hope Pitt can get it done but I am not counting on it.

Acymetric
11-13-2014, 09:36 PM
Yes, whichever team wins the GT/Clemson game needs to lose to their SEC rival. Right now the odds favor UGA more than South Carolina in those matchups so I am rooting for GT over Clemson.

Pulling for Clemson win this week, and pulling for both to win against their rival. Too early to worry about help going to the Orange bowl, for the long term success of the program our conference needs to pick up some wins against other conferences.

CameronBornAndBred
11-13-2014, 09:49 PM
Pulling for Clemson win this week, and pulling for both to win against their rival. Too early to worry about help going to the Orange bowl, for the long term success of the program our conference needs to pick up some wins against other conferences.
I'm pulling for Clemson to win, and for FSU to win. I'm less concerned about our bowl than I am our repeat appearance in the championship game. The more GT and Miami lose, the easier our path gets, especially if we happen to lose along the way, too.

OldPhiKap
11-13-2014, 09:56 PM
I'm pulling for Clemson to win, and for FSU to win. I'm less concerned about our bowl than I am our repeat appearance in the championship game. The more GT and Miami lose, the easier our path gets, especially if we happen to lose along the way, too.

I am of this same school.

Realistically, our schedule makes it a real long shot (and I am being kind) to play in the play-offs. Or to get third party respect. And to be clear, I understand that and am okay with that.

If we make the ACC CG, by contrast, we control out destiny to make the Orange Bowl by winning. That would be phenomenal! So I am of the thought to win the Coastal, and to compete for the ACC Championship, is the goal. We win, we go Orange. We don't, well -- we go where we go, and I'll be there.

Bob Green
11-14-2014, 06:35 AM
I'm less concerned about our bowl than I am our repeat appearance in the championship game.

This train of thought is credible. If we make it back to the ACCCG, our bowl game will take care of itself, especially if we pull off the upset in Charlotte.