PDA

View Full Version : One & Done Article on Home Page

Tripping William
11-07-2014, 09:10 AM
I always love Al Featherston's columns, and today's is no exception. But an error repeats itself throughout the article (by my count, three times in one form or another), namely, that the 2011 Kentucky Wildcats made it to the national title game, where they lost to UConn. Brad Stevens and Butler beg to differ; the Kats lost to the Kemba Walker Huskies in the national semis.

A nit, perhaps, to the overall assessment, but it threw me for a bit of a loop when I first read it.

Love the comparison to the '07 Buckeyes, though.

Ichabod Drain
11-07-2014, 09:19 AM
I always love Al Featherston's columns, and today's is no exception. But an error repeats itself throughout the article (by my count, three times in one form or another), namely, that the 2011 Kentucky Wildcats made it to the national title game, where they lost to UConn. Brad Stevens and Butler beg to differ; the Kats lost to the Kemba Walker Huskies in the national semis.

A nit, perhaps, to the overall assessment, but it threw me for a bit of a loop when I first read it.

Love the comparison to the '07 Buckeyes, though.

Maybe he just blocked that most horrendous National Championship game from his memory... as we all should.

mr. synellinden
11-07-2014, 10:48 AM
One other note - Luol Deng's Final Four team was 2004, not 2005.

davekay1971
11-07-2014, 10:50 AM
One other note - Luol Deng's Final Four team was 2004, not 2005.

2004. Aaah! Aaaah! We was robbed! Flashbacks!

10 years later, though, Okafor is on our side...

subzero02
11-07-2014, 12:11 PM
We had Uconn on the ropes... To make things worse, I had picked a Georgia Tech vs. Duke ncaa final in my pool... I would've won going away if the refs hadn't been intent on fouling out every post player on our roster.

Listen to Quants
11-07-2014, 02:13 PM
Ignoring nits.

Featherston did as thorough a job of demolishing a meme as can be done outside of applied statistical proof. Reminded me a little of one of those videos of a crew dropping a multi-story building onto itself. Adds another warning, sadly necessary, to the many many previous ones about small sample size.