PDA

View Full Version : No Okafor draft vigil thread this year. Oh, wait.

CameronBornAndBred
11-06-2014, 11:20 AM
The one benefit of saying he won't be here next year is that we avoid another pointless vigil thread.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11830258/mike-krzyzewski-expects-jahlil-okafor-one-done-duke-blue-devils

devildeac
11-06-2014, 11:38 AM
The one benefit of saying he won't be here next year is that we avoid another pointless vigil thread.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11830258/mike-krzyzewski-expects-jahlil-okafor-one-done-duke-blue-devils

I've already spoken with one of the mods about this and have been assured it has already been locked and will soon be deleted:o;).

UrinalCake
11-06-2014, 11:48 AM
Did you just start a thread to tell us there wouldn't be a thread?

Duvall
11-06-2014, 11:51 AM
Obviously this thread should be retitled the Jahlil Okafor Draft Vigil Thread.

Also, ban all vigils.

superdave
11-06-2014, 11:59 AM
Obviously this thread should be retitled the Jahlil Okafor Draft Vigil Thread.

Also, ban all vigils.

EDIT: Jahlil Okafor Draft Vigil Thread Vigil

I am glad we are getting this out of the way now. Maybe we'll be getting into Freshman Year: Hill vs Battier vs Winslow before long.

cato
11-06-2014, 12:06 PM
I don't know. He seems like a kid that really values education, and he only has one chance to enjoy Duke. I think he will surprise everyone.

Okay, I can't even type that with a straight face.

jimsumner
11-06-2014, 12:10 PM
In further breaking news, the sun rises in the east and sets in the west.

Henderson
11-06-2014, 12:11 PM

Are we talking pointless as in 'Dre's NBA career? ;)

hurleyfor3
11-06-2014, 12:27 PM
1. I'm certain there will be an Okafor draft vigil thread. Wait, we already have one. (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?34469-No-Okafor-draft-vigil-thread-this-year)

2. I agree we have too many vigils. Really should be limited to serious injuries to players.

3. Starting a thread to say there won't be a thread is a contradiction. Who cuts the Barber of Seville's hair? Is the word heterological heterological? What day will the prisoner be hung?

MCFinARL
11-06-2014, 12:33 PM

I don't know. He seems like a kid that really values education, and he only has one chance to enjoy Duke. I think he will surprise everyone.

I juxtapose these two posts because we had a very lengthy "he really values education" thread (which I am sure cato is knowingly referencing) about Jabari when it was obvious he was going pro. Pretty sure there is no hope of avoiding a pointless vigil thread unless and until Okafor himself announces definitively that he is declaring for the draft. But thanks for trying! :D

Duke3517
11-06-2014, 12:40 PM
Such a waste of time. Come on NBA, don't hold these kids back.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-06-2014, 12:42 PM
I think that after the Livingston exhibition, the thread we really need to start is "Okafor: Best Duke Player Ever? Or Best Basketball Player of All-Time?"

CameronBornAndBred
11-06-2014, 12:43 PM

I'm picturing others in your office wondering what the hell you are laughing at. :D

hurleyfor3
11-06-2014, 12:48 PM
I think that after the Livingston exhibition, the thread we really need to start is "Okafor: Best Duke Player Ever?

If he wins the three national championships we're all expecting him to win this year, unquestionably. If he only wins two he'll be up there with Laettner, Grant Hill and What Kyrie Irving Could Have Done Had He Stayed. I can't imagine him only winning one; that would be worse than losing to Mercer.

Or Best Basketball Player of All-Time?"

For sufficiently high values of the Hubble Constant, yes. Although that would mean the universe began last week, so unc gets off scot-free.

CameronBornAndBred
11-06-2014, 12:52 PM
The nature of this thread IS to have some fun, but just out of curiosity, has K ever said a player will only be in Cameron for one year more definitively than he has with Okafor?

"We won't have him long," Krzyzewski said. "We'll have him this year and then he'll be one of the top [NBA] picks."

I don't recall with Kyrie, Austin or Jabari that any of the coaches offered up a similar statement.

devildeac
11-06-2014, 12:59 PM
Non-vigil vigils are great:rolleyes::o.

flyingdutchdevil
11-06-2014, 01:09 PM
...a handful of DBR faithfuls will still hold on to hope, because Jahlil will state, "I don't want to think about the NBA right now. I [want to enjoy this Championship/don't want to think about my future after this loss]. I love Duke and know it will be a tough decision."

I'm guessing 10% will be optimistic that he comes back.

Winslow? Now that's a real vigil!

SilkyJ
11-06-2014, 01:09 PM
1. I'm certain there will be an Okafor draft vigil thread. Wait, we already have one. (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?34469-No-Okafor-draft-vigil-thread-this-year)

2. I agree we have too many vigils. Really should be limited to serious injuries to players.

3. Starting a thread to say there won't be a thread is a contradiction. Who cuts the Barber of Seville's hair? Is the word heterological heterological? What day will the prisoner be hung?

If he wins the three national championships we're all expecting him to win this year, unquestionably. If he only wins two he'll be up there with Laettner, Grant Hill and What Kyrie Irving Could Have Done Had He Stayed. I can't imagine him only winning one; that would be worse than losing to Mercer.

For sufficiently high values of the Hubble Constant, yes. Although that would mean the universe began last week, so unc gets off scot-free.

Can't spork you, but i found these posts mesmerizing.

MCFinARL
11-06-2014, 01:18 PM

Well, just for the sake of argument, I'm going to say that if he wins two national championships this year he will be ahead of Laettner and Hill, who took more time to accomplish that feat (slow developers, I guess).

dukebluesincebirth
11-06-2014, 02:14 PM
As long as we don't have a "big toe" vigil for Big Jah, I'm good. :D

UrinalCake
11-06-2014, 02:22 PM
He's been pretty upfront about his intentions, which I respect. I'd rather he be honest now rather than stringing everyone along, waiting until the end of the season, going on and on about how much he loves Duke, waxing poetic about how great it would be to stay, and then kicking us all in the collective crotch.

I'd love to have an on-going thread about where we think he'll be drafted and which lottery team we'd like to see him on. What if Philly gets the #1 pick? They could have Okafor, Embiid, and Nerlens Noel all on the same team.

g-money
11-06-2014, 02:30 PM
I actually think this is a smart adjustment by Coach K. The "will he/won't he" debates tend to create distractions during the most important time of the season.

Mr. Okafor, you've got 5 months to get 'er done. Ready, set, go!!

Duvall
11-06-2014, 02:30 PM
I'd love to have an on-going thread about where we think he'll be drafted and which lottery team we'd like to see him on. What if Philly gets the #1 pick? They could have Okafor, Embiid, and Nerlens Noel all on the same team.

You know who would make a great complement to that group? Diamond Stone.

Henderson
11-06-2014, 02:34 PM
We need a preseason/inseason draft projection thread.

Edouble
11-07-2014, 12:59 PM
Are we talking pointless as in 'Dre's NBA career? ;)

Glad that we can all have a good laugh about this now.