View Full Version : FB: Duke 27 - Syracuse 10

Pages : [1] 2

hurleyfor3
11-01-2014, 04:52 PM
Next play, right?

Bob Green
11-01-2014, 04:54 PM
Next play, right?

I'd like to enjoy today's win for 24 hours first.

OldPhiKap
11-01-2014, 05:13 PM
Nothing is a given on the road. We need to improve our tackling and stay focused.

And we have a target on our back -- being a ranked team and all.

Go Duke!

CameronBornAndBred
11-01-2014, 05:28 PM
I'd like to enjoy today's win for 24 hours first.
I literally walked into my studio and turned off the tv, didn't care about the other games that were on. I just wanted to soak today's victory in. I'll stop back into this thread sometime tomorrow after the new rankings come out. LGD!!!

devildeac
11-01-2014, 05:34 PM
Nothing is a given on the road. We need to improve our tackling and stay focused.

And we have a target on our back -- being a ranked team and all.

Go Duke!

The espn summary article I perused after the game did mention the (cough, cough) lack of tackling by both teams, especially in the 1st half.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-01-2014, 06:26 PM
We have games left we should win but certainly could lose.

I love that for 2 years we have been excellent in these situations! Go Duke

Tripping William
11-01-2014, 07:07 PM
If State can win in the Dome, Duke can win in the Dome. TCoB.

duke09hms
11-01-2014, 07:46 PM
Trap game. When was the last time Duke could call a conference opponent a trap game?

gep
11-02-2014, 12:04 AM
I, too, am worried about this game. Interestingly, Boone, in his post-game interview, said that getting hit in "cold" weather is different that getting hit is "warm" weather. Hopefully, the dome will help Duke in that regard....:cool:

loran16
11-02-2014, 12:37 AM
Trap game. When was the last time Duke could call a conference opponent a trap game?

Last year, Duke vs NC State prior to Duke v Miami, with Duke having just beat VaTech.

duke09hms
11-02-2014, 12:03 PM
Last year, Duke vs NC State prior to Duke v Miami, with Duke having just beat VaTech.

NC State was at home last year. Syracuse is an away game, we're coming off an emotional high of a win, and the Orange are coming off a disappointing loss to sorry NC State. Classic letdown.

We will need to fix our defense after giving up just under 600 yds and 48 pts. Though Pitt was always going to be a tough offense to contain with a power runner and big-play receivers.

loran16
11-02-2014, 12:06 PM
NC State was at home last year. Syracuse is an away game, we're coming off an emotional high of a win, and the Orange are coming off a disappointing loss to sorry NC State. Classic letdown.

We will need to fix our defense after giving up just under 600 yds and 48 pts. Though Pitt was always going to be a tough offense to contain with a power runner and big-play receivers.

Then if you'd rather, Wake Forest last year, which was on the road, after a big Miami win, right before the crucial UNC game.

We've done trap games before.

duke09hms
11-02-2014, 12:19 PM
Then if you'd rather, Wake Forest last year, which was on the road, after a big Miami win, right before the crucial UNC game.

We've done trap games before.

ehh Wake Forest is like old Duke, a crap team with a crap record. I don't think Syracuse is anywhere near as bad as they were. We're only favored by 4 at syracuse, think we were favored by 14 at wake last year.

I do wonder about motivation issues as fewer and fewer current players have the past experience of 3-9 yrs and losing to teams like Wake.

Anyone know anything about syracuse football this year?

Bob Green
11-02-2014, 12:27 PM
ehh Wake Forest is like old Duke, a crap team with a crap record.

We fell behind 14-0 in Winston-Salem last year. I agree with Loran16, we survived a couple of trap games down the stretch last year.

Dev11
11-02-2014, 12:39 PM
We fell behind 14-0 in Winston-Salem last year. I agree with Loran16, we survived a couple of trap games down the stretch last year.

Our regular season record was 10-2, but that doesn't tell the story of how many close games we were in heading into fourth quarters. Last year's team was incredibly tough at the ends of games.

nyesq83
11-02-2014, 12:40 PM
ehh Wake Forest is like old Duke, a crap team with a crap record. I don't think Syracuse is anywhere near as bad as they were. We're only favored by 4 at syracuse, think we were favored by 14 at wake last year.

I do wonder about motivation issues as fewer and fewer current players have the past experience of 3-9 yrs and losing to teams like Wake.

Every game counts, they are all trap games here on out.

The difference is, all these guy know is WINNING!

BlueTeuf
11-02-2014, 01:40 PM
Anybody going to the Syracuse game next Saturday? We have tickets but no defined plan as of yet.

DU82
11-02-2014, 02:42 PM
Anybody going to the Syracuse game next Saturday? We have tickets but no defined plan as of yet.

My only two planned events are: Be at the dome by 12:30 on Saturday, and go to Cooperstown Friday after I land in Syracuse. Nothing else matters. 😀

devildeac
11-02-2014, 02:47 PM
We suck and we don't have a snowball's chance in Onondaga County (there is frozen white precipitation on the ground already in upstate NY, right?) of a victory this Saturday because (in no particular order):

1. We've played a crappy schedule. (79 by Steele and 101 by NCAA)
2. Our defense is horrendous. (79 by NCAA at 422.5 YPG)
2a. 13th in points allowed-skyrocketed from #5 last week after our abysmal showing yesterday (see #1 above).
3. We have no highly ranked defensive players (http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/player/_/stat/defense/qualified/false) with Helton our highest ranked one in # of tackles.
4. Our offensive players are even worse (http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/player/_/stat/defense/qualified/false) with WR Crowder at 45, QB Boone at 69 (besides, he's too short and slow anyway) and Wilson at 97.
4a. 86th in passing yards.
4b. 34th in rushing yards.
4c. 28th in scoring (see #1 above).
5. Special teams are almost as much of a disaster (http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/player/_/stat/defense/qualified/false) with Martin at 32 and 45 respectively for PK and scoring, Edwards at 58 and Monday at 74.
6. We don't run enough on 1st down.
6a. Too many (bubble) screens if/when we throw.
7. Our DB are too short/slow/play soft coverage.
8. QB and WR are too short (see above) and/or have bad hands.
9. Our DL is awful.
10. Our OL is over-rated.
11. We can't tackle.
12. We don't get enough 3* and/or 4* recruits.
13. We get all the calls (ie. Crowder shoulda been flagged for offensive PI on many/?all his catches yesterday; we hold all the time...).
14. Kut's a rat-face/dyes his hair/cusses too much/faked his bypass surgery in 2005. (Wait, wrong Duke sport:o:rolleyes:).
15. We've never played FB in a dome before (or have we?).
16. (fill in your own reason/s here)

(removes tongue from cheek and adds :rolleyes: and :o for good measure)

I gotta admit folks, I'm as guilty as many other fans are with some of the above complaints and rather embarrassed to admit it sometimes. However, after I take a couple (dozen) deep breaths, a couple sips from Ymm, Beer thread suggestions and tastings and when I look at the last 2.5+ seasons, I am truly amazed and thankful at what the FB program has accomplished. I'm still in disbelief at 2 consecutive bowl games, going on 3. I'm so astonished over our magical season last year and another one evolving this year that I have many, many ecchymoses in covered cutaneous areas from the repeated pinchings I administer, that my wife is beginning to wonder if have a significant problem.

I said I'd be a few decibels louder if we beat Pitt so there it is. I'll be a few more decibels louder if we take out the 'Cuse on Saturday and VT the following weekend. I'll be my loudest against the cheaters and will try to re-arrange my call schedule so I can see us beat (I hope) my other alma mater to end the regular season. So, enjoy the ride with me, including all the bumps, hits, turns, drops and heights the remaining regularly scheduled games have waiting for us.

devildeac
11-02-2014, 02:50 PM
My only two planned events are: Be at the dome by 12:30 on Saturday, and go to Cooperstown Friday after I land in Syracuse. Nothing else matters. 😀

I'll add a suggestion: if you like fermented and malted beverages, visit the Ommegang brewery on Friday, about 5 miles south of Cooperstown, before or after your BBHoF tour.

DU82
11-02-2014, 02:58 PM
I'll add a suggestion: if you like fermented and malted beverages, visit the Ommegang brewery on Friday, about 5 miles south of Cooperstown, before or after your BBHoF tour.

My strongest beverage of choice is Diet Mountain Dew.

devildeac
11-02-2014, 03:19 PM
My strongest beverage of choice is Diet Mountain Dew.

Whew, glad I added the "if you like" part to my suggestion:o. Enjoy your travels.

OldPhiKap
11-02-2014, 03:37 PM
We suck and we don't have a snowball's chance in Onondaga County (there is frozen white precipitation on the ground already in upstate NY, right?) of a victory this Saturday because (in no particular order):

1. We've played a crappy schedule. (79 by Steele and 101 by NCAA)
2. Our defense is horrendous. (79 by NCAA at 422.5 YPG)
2a. 13th in points allowed-skyrocketed from #5 last week after our abysmal showing yesterday (see #1 above).
3. We have no highly ranked defensive players (http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/player/_/stat/defense/qualified/false) with Helton our highest ranked one in # of tackles.
4. Our offensive players are even worse (http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/player/_/stat/defense/qualified/false) with WR Crowder at 45, QB Boone at 69 (besides, he's too short and slow anyway) and Wilson at 97.
4a. 86th in passing yards.
4b. 34th in rushing yards.
4c. 28th in scoring (see #1 above).
5. Special teams are almost as much of a disaster (http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/player/_/stat/defense/qualified/false) with Martin at 32 and 45 respectively for PK and scoring, Edwards at 58 and Monday at 74.
6. We don't run enough on 1st down.
6a. Too many (bubble) screens if/when we throw.
7. Our DB are too short/slow/play soft coverage.
8. QB and WR are too short (see above) and/or have bad hands.
9. Our DL is awful.
10. Our OL is over-rated.
11. We can't tackle.
12. We don't get enough 3* and/or 4* recruits.
13. We get all the calls (ie. Crowder shoulda been flagged for offensive PI on many/?all his catches yesterday; we hold all the time...).
14. Kut's a rat-face/dyes his hair/cusses too much/faked his bypass surgery in 2005. (Wait, wrong Duke sport:o:rolleyes:).
15. We've never played FB in a dome before (or have we?).
16. (fill in your own reason/s here)

(removes tongue from cheek and adds :rolleyes: and :o for good measure)

I gotta admit folks, I'm as guilty as many other fans are with some of the above complaints and rather embarrassed to admit it sometimes. However, after I take a couple (dozen) deep breaths, a couple sips from Ymm, Beer thread suggestions and tastings and when I look at the last 2.5+ seasons, I am truly amazed and thankful at what the FB program has accomplished. I'm still in disbelief at 2 consecutive bowl games, going on 3. I'm so astonished over our magical season last year and another one evolving this year that I have many, many ecchymoses in covered cutaneous areas from the repeated pinchings I administer, that my wife is beginning to wonder if have a significant problem.

I said I'd be a few decibels louder if we beat Pitt so there it is. I'll be a few more decibels louder if we take out the 'Cuse on Saturday and VT the following weekend. I'll be my loudest against the cheaters and will try to re-arrange my call schedule so I can see us beat (I hope) my other alma mater to end the regular season. So, enjoy the ride with me, including all the bumps, hits, turns, drops and heights the remaining regularly scheduled games have waiting for us.

You forgot a key one -- sure, Boone wins, but he is wildly erratic and probably too short on the cinder block height scale to amount to anything.

Playa's gonna play, play, play, play, play
And the Hata's gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate
Puts gotta shake it off, shake it off.

(OK, DaughterPhiKap has had control of the car radio recently. A very disturbing development)

devildeac
11-02-2014, 03:46 PM
You forgot a key one -- sure, Boone wins, but he is wildly erratic and probably too short on the cinder block height scale to amount to anything.

Playa's gonna play, play, play, play, play
And the Hata's gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate
Puts gotta shake it off, shake it off.

(OK, DaughterPhiKap has had control of the car radio recently. A very disturbing development)

Thanks. Sorry I forgot the "wildly erratic" part but I did kinda/sorta cover the height issue (sans cinder blocks) in #4 and #8. :o

Reilly
11-02-2014, 04:14 PM
Duke favored by about 6 points per S-R.

The Duke (#42) and Syr (#46) defenses are similarly ranked by S-R:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2014-ratings.html

Bob Green
11-02-2014, 04:24 PM
Duke opens as a 5.5 points favorite in Vegas!

awhom111
11-02-2014, 04:29 PM
TV Stations: http://www.theacc.com/#!/page/rsn-affiliates-for-november-8-2014-10-29

Will do more detail when the blackout maps come on Thursday.

CameronBornAndBred
11-02-2014, 04:46 PM
Thread title can be changed to FB: #22 Duke @ Syracuse. ;)

We are ranked 20th in the coaches poll. I am very happy that this will be played in a dome; I think the weather played a factor in the game vs. Pitt. I was wondering early on if the cold and damp field played into some of the missed tackles; it was like watching someone trying to catch greased pigs.
I am certain the team will be ready for this game, and each one following. The nice thing about our remaining schedule is that there are no "big games" looming, as in lofty opponents. That should help us stay focused on the game at hand and the ultimate prize, locking up the coastal for a trip to Charlotte.

DU82
11-02-2014, 06:27 PM
Whew, glad I added the "if you like" part to my suggestion:o. Enjoy your travels.

No problem. Just never cared for the taste nor the effects. I've been the family's designated driver for decades. I "sacrifice" so others may enjoy! :cool:

AncientPsychicT
11-02-2014, 07:02 PM

Anyone know anything about syracuse football this year?

You don't think 3-6 (1-4 ACC) Syracuse, who just lost at home to previously winless-in-the-ACC NC State and whose only ACC win is over Wake Forest, is a crap team? Cause I do.

Is this a trap game? Yeah, you could say so (although VT isn't very good either, so I don't know why we'd be looking ahead).
Does that mean Syracuse doesn't suck? No, no it doesn't.

hurleyfor3
11-02-2014, 07:06 PM
This again, huh?

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2433&d=1330362896

duke09hms
11-02-2014, 07:18 PM
You don't think 3-6 (1-4 ACC) Syracuse, who just lost at home to previously winless-in-the-ACC NC State and whose only ACC win is over Wake Forest, is a crap team? Cause I do.

Is this a trap game? Yeah, you could say so (although VT isn't very good either, so I don't know why we'd be looking ahead).
Does that mean Syracuse doesn't suck? No, no it doesn't.

That photo reminds me of Admiral Ackbar ...

Lol okay as long as we don't lose to this crap team that sucks next Saturday, it'll be allll good.

mgtr
11-02-2014, 09:58 PM
This again, huh?

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2433&d=1330362896

Oh Snap! No, wait -- the trap can't snap because the release pin is wrapped around the hold down. Sorry. Probably made by UNC alum (with high honors).

uh_no
11-02-2014, 11:08 PM
Oh Snap! No, wait -- the trap can't snap because the release pin is wrapped around the hold down. Sorry. Probably made by UNC alum (with high honors).

no, the mousetrap is legit. that's how it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZqwvGhoHKU&t=1m25s

OldPhiKap
11-02-2014, 11:28 PM
(Deleted)

loran16
11-02-2014, 11:48 PM
Some actual discussion about Syracuse, since that is technically what this thread is about.

Prior to last week, Cuse was ranked by Football Outsiders' S&P rankings as the 76th best offense in the Country. For comparison, going into last week Duke was 58 and Pitt was 25th. Syracuse is better at running the football than passing, which isn't the best thing for Duke, but their 31st ranked rushing attack is way worse than the 5th ranked #s of Pitt. They currently use two running backs, Prince-Tyson Gulley who has a decent 4.9 YPC and Adonis Ameen-Moore who's at 5.8 YPC in half the carries. Gulley is clearly the primary back. They'll mix passes and rushes more evenly than Pittsburgh did, however, which should help. Passing wise, they are down to their 2nd string, a true frosh due to their starter suffering a fractured fibula. He has not been very good.

Defensively, Cuse isn't much better - 77th in the Country. They are below average evenly against both the rush and the pass, so Duke's whole offense should be successful against them, regardless of the scheme. Their DLine isn't a threat to sack QBs very often, and our OLine is the best in the nation at preventing Sacks, soooo yeah.

Basically cuse is Mediocre at everything, and isn't really horrific (or good) at anything. So there isn't really an area to attack them in....just need to beat them in all phases.

mkline09
11-03-2014, 04:54 AM
The thing is in college football these days, every game is a trap game. Every game means so much for the teams winning, because one more win brings them closer to championship games, and better bowls. For the teams on the other end it gives them a chance to make a statement against the aforementioned teams, which Duke has become. I think the thing that differentiates Duke from other teams is that they have been where Syracuse and Wake are right now before. Heck they've been far worse off than that, and while the players now expect and know how to win, I don't believe they are so far removed from those days to let themselves get complacent.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-03-2014, 05:18 AM

The mere fact that most "trap games" are defined by coming off an emotional victory means that we have had precious few opportunities for such issues in the last 20 years or so until recently.

I welcome these sorts of potential problems!

CameronBornAndBred
11-03-2014, 08:22 AM
The thing is in college football these days, every game is a trap game. Every game means so much for the teams winning, because one more win brings them closer to championship games, and better bowls. For the teams on the other end it gives them a chance to make a statement against the aforementioned teams, which Duke has become. I think the thing that differentiates Duke from other teams is that they have been where Syracuse and Wake are right now before. Heck they've been far worse off than that, and while the players now expect and know how to win, I don't believe they are so far removed from those days to let themselves get complacent.
Hugely agree. I was listening to ESPN radio on the way in to work today, and they were talking about the Georgia-Florida game. This is a Florida team that just last week I was shaking my head at, wondering why Kurt Roper would risk going to a place that the coach was doomed. (I still shake my head at that.) What did unranked Florida, with a losing record in the SEC, do to 9th ranked Georgia? They beat the absolute snot out of them.
Duke is going to get every team's best shot, losing record or not. Every game from here on out is a trap game, since every team we face has a losing record. The other guys have nothing much to play for except for pride, and possibly in UNC's case a lowly bowl bid. Facing a team that is playing for pride can be a dangerous event.

budwom
11-03-2014, 09:26 AM
The Syracuse offense is seriously banged up, using a freshman Qb and a hurting OL....Their defense has played reasonably well at times....but all in all can't complain about this matchup.

johnb
11-03-2014, 10:53 AM
It doesn't much matter if fans get overconfident, since we don't actually play the game, but I'd think that the Duke players (and certainly the coaches) recognize that we don't have a major talent advantage over any ACC team. But we are close enough that we should expect to be competitive against everyone, and for two years, those close games have broken our way.

We do have a coaching advantage, especially when it comes to putting our players in a position to succeed, but no way can we just show up in Syracuse and expect to roll to victory.

devildeac
11-05-2014, 10:46 PM
Page 2?!?!?

The horror.

My younger son-in-law has been called out of retirement as a FB manager and will make the trip with the team on Friday afternoon to Syracuse. He'll also have the honor and the pleasure of seeing his sister within hours after the C-section delivery of her second child about an hour north of Syracuse. The Lord works in strange/mysterious/sovereign ways. He is so excited for these opportunities. He'll expects to be back in the Triangle by 5 PM Saturday. I'll see if I can get any first-hand/sideline reports;).

Today's line on the game was Duke -3.5. I'm hoping I have a lot less anxiety than that this Saturday:o.

DukeSean
11-06-2014, 04:54 AM
I'm especially excited/curious to see how Boone plays off his last game, when he was as brilliant as he's been all season. If he can continue to show consistency, that'd be a HUGE help towards 11-1 and maybe even an ACC title.

Bob Green
11-06-2014, 05:16 AM
The over/under is 51 with the line holding at 3.5 points so Vegas is projecting a score in the neighborhood of 27-24.

devildeac
11-06-2014, 07:04 AM
I'm especially excited/curious to see how Boone plays off his last game, when he was as brilliant as he's been all season. If he can continue to show consistency, that'd be a HUGE help towards 11-1 and maybe even an ACC title.

Since the Miami game, AB has been very, very good, showing his senior leadership and directing Cut's plans for limiting turnovers and tackles for losses while varying the play-calling quite nicely with the run and short and long passes.

Reilly
11-06-2014, 07:49 AM
... we don't have a major talent advantage over any ACC team ...

Per the Scout database, for the last five recruiting classes (that is, the classes populating the current roster):

Duke: 54 commits rated 3-stars
Syr: 61 commits rated 3-stars, and 3 rated 4-stars

I agree the team won't take this road challenge lightly, where Duke's only 3 points favored. Makes me nervous when the fans get a bit over-confident (it shouldn't, but it does). Good news to read that Syr is young/shaky at QB ... their D seems OK, however.

CameronBornAndBred
11-06-2014, 08:40 AM
The weather has been beautiful this week, but with the game being in a dome have we had all our practices inside?

PDDuke85
11-06-2014, 09:00 AM
don't know about all practices but Cut mentioned in the Tuesday press conference the squad would work in the indoor facility quite a bit.

thinking about playing in a dome VS outside, AB looked great for 56 minutes in his last dome game. Hoping he can play error free and enjoy that dome experience for 60 minutes Saturday.

OldPhiKap
11-06-2014, 09:14 AM
The weather has been beautiful this week, but with the game being in a dome have we had all our practices inside?

Cut said on Tuesday that the offense would work inside most of the week. He also praised the new facility, or at least the fact that we now have one.

devildeac
11-06-2014, 02:45 PM
The over/under is 51 with the line holding at 3.5 points so Vegas is projecting a score in the neighborhood of 27-24.

I'll need a lot less medication if it's 31-21 or 35-17 in favor of the good guys, of course;).

Bob Green
11-06-2014, 07:15 PM
The classic all white look:

BigWayne
11-06-2014, 07:20 PM
The classic all white look:

Will probably look better on actual players that don't have matching pearl white skin and skinny, knock kneed legs.

burnspbesq
11-06-2014, 07:26 PM
Cause looks to be down to its number three QB.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11831797/qb-aj-long-syracuse-orange-doubtful-vs-duke-blue-devils

CameronBornAndBred
11-06-2014, 08:29 PM

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11831797/qb-aj-long-syracuse-orange-doubtful-vs-duke-blue-devils
Wow...wonder what the line increases to now.

OldPhiKap
11-06-2014, 08:33 PM

I think he has played a little so the kid is not wholly raw. Having said that, tough situation for Syracuse.

awhom111
11-06-2014, 09:41 PM
TV situation again:
http://www.theacc.com/#!/page/rsn-affiliates-for-november-8-2014-10-29

http://espngameplan.espn.com/images/maps/11-8-14_Duke___Syracuse.jpg

Black:
-On TV on one of the stations listed in the link above
-Online if your provider has FOX Sports Go access and you subscribe to one of the FSN stations on the list above

Green:
-On TV on one of the stations listed in the link above (if you are not an in-market subscriber to the channel, you may or may not be blacked out)
-Online if your provider has FOX Sports Go access and you subscribe to one of the FSN stations on the list above
-ESPN3
-ESPN GamePlan

budwom
11-07-2014, 09:27 AM
Reading syracuse.com this morning (Injury report), the Orange just lost another OL (3 starters now gone) and their middle linebacker, though they have a good freshman in reserve.
Two top WRs out, injury report listed 15 guys...hope we don't get complacent...they still evidently have a pretty stout defense....time for our defense to step up.

OldPhiKap
11-07-2014, 09:42 AM
Reading syracuse.com this morning (Injury report), the Orange just lost another OL (3 starters now gone) and their middle linebacker, though they have a good freshman in reserve.
Two top WRs out, injury report listed 15 guys...hope we don't get complacent...they still evidently have a pretty stout defense....time for our defense to step up.

Sounds like our season a few years ago. Hate to see kids injured. But you gotta line up against whoever they throw out there and fight.

Wake showed some good fight at home last night against a heavily-favored Clemson team (first half at least, missed the second). I cannot imagine we would be complacent, but for anyone leaning that way -- wake up call.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-07-2014, 10:18 AM
Sounds like our season a few years ago. Hate to see kids injured. But you gotta line up against whoever they throw out there and fight.

Wake showed some good fight at home last night against a heavily-favored Clemson team (first half at least, missed the second). I cannot imagine we would be complacent, but for anyone leaning that way -- wake up call.

It was the fourth quarter when Wake ran out of gas..... an all too familiar scenario.

But it was interesting to see Clemson so vulnerable.......

Bob Green
11-07-2014, 10:30 AM
Reading syracuse.com this morning...

http://www.syracuse.com/poliquin/index.ssf/2014/11/syracsue_football_despite_injuries_and_the_arrival _of_no_22_duke_the_orange_show.html#incart_river

Other than the disrespectful spelling of Duke, the above article is pretty good.

budwom
11-07-2014, 12:45 PM
when it rains it pours. I just read that the Syracuse play by play guy is out...he got a DUI. D'oh!

DukeSean
11-07-2014, 12:58 PM
when it rains it pours. I just read that the Syracuse play by play guy is out...he got a DUI. D'oh!

Dropping like flies! Next thing you're gonna tell me their waterboy's gonna be out cause he got bit by an ornery gator

DevilHorse
11-07-2014, 01:12 PM
Although the Duke vs. Syracuse game is blacked out in some parts of the north-east,
the Syracuse vs. Duke game will be shown on the MSG network...

Larry
DevilHorse

budwom
11-07-2014, 02:21 PM
Blacked out can be a relative term. I know DirecTV will black out the Game Plan broadcast in some areas, only because the game is also available on some of the sports networks, such as NESN, various Fox Sports channels, etc...

Which is good actually because the Game Plan broadcast isn't in HD, and the others are.

Bob Green
11-07-2014, 02:24 PM
Patrick Cacchio with a solid preview of the game at Blue Devil Nation:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2014/11/preview-duke-syracuse/

His key to Duke winning:

A balanced offensive attack will continue to move the chains, and Duke’s speedy backfield should benefit from the quick turf to break a few runs.

Defensively, Duke needs to force Syracuse into long fields and obvious passing situations.

I'm looking forward to another exciting game!

BigWayne
11-07-2014, 03:13 PM
Although the Duke vs. Syracuse game is blacked out in some parts of the north-east,
the Syracuse vs. Duke game will be shown on the MSG network...

Larry
DevilHorse
That's the channel I am planning on via DirecTV sports pack. For some reason, that one comes through for me on the Duke games but NESN doesn't.

DevilHorse
11-07-2014, 03:29 PM
Blacked out can be a relative term. I know DirecTV will black out the Game Plan broadcast in some areas, only because the game is also available on some of the sports networks, such as NESN, various Fox Sports channels, etc...

Which is good actually because the Game Plan broadcast isn't in HD, and the others are.

I agree. Although when you see what appears to be a Gerrymandered blackout map for ESPN3, and you realize that the networks have played a shell game to perhaps broadcast the game in your area. You have to figure out where they are hiding the game and hope you are fortunate to have that network on your cable carrier.

Larry
DevilHorse

budwom
11-07-2014, 03:38 PM
yup, on DirecTv I always have to tune in a bit early and check out several different channels to see which ones are carrying the game...not a predictable situation much of the time....but generally there are at least
several carrying the Duke game.

sagegrouse
11-07-2014, 07:55 PM
Listed on Comcast Sports Net in DC. Go Duke!

Reilly
11-07-2014, 11:26 PM
+37 @Central Michigan
+23 @WFU
+01 Villanova
-------------------------------
-07 NCSU
-10 @Clemson
-14 Maryland
-16 (N) Notre Dame
-18 Florida State
-22 Louisville

Tough sched (Clemson, ND, FSU, L'ville).

This is their senior day/last home game.

martydoesntfoul
11-08-2014, 03:26 AM
Are we really 17-3 in our last 20 regular season games? Did a pig just fly by?

Anyway, back to Syracuse. We simply can't let up. I 'm looking for relentless energy and a team that imposes its will. These kinds of games scare me because the natural instinct is to ease up when you hear about all of the walking wounded, and we're not good enough to do that. Go Duke!

Reilly
11-08-2014, 06:36 AM
Beat the Orange and we're one step closer to the Orange.

Beat 'em like nothing rhymes with their name.

Beat 'em because nothing rhymes with their name.

Wear all-white = play a clean game.

Reilly
11-08-2014, 06:44 AM
This is pretty neat. From the student newspaper.

"Duke is grid aristocracy not only in the name but in everything the word implies ..."

http://dailyorange.com/2014/11/time-machine-syracuse-falls-to-duke-in-first-ever-meeting-21-0-at-archbold-stadium/

IsInTheDetails
11-08-2014, 08:38 AM
Once my heart resumed beating last Saturday after the Pitt game, I began to fear this week's game against the Orange. Seems like a quintessential trap game. On the road, unusual environment (dome, turf, long way from Durham), against a team with a deceptively bad record and a genuinely long injury list. This is a game the odds-makers, media, and fans expect we should win. Perfect time for a letdown. And it still may be just that.

But as I get geeked up this morning, I believe Coach Cut will have the team primed to make a statement. When the whistle sounds at the end of regulation --- and please, for my heart's sake, let there be no overtime --- I think we'll see the Devils win by 20+. Our healthy, deep D-Line should be aggressive and opportunistic against a banged-up Orange O-Line and inexperienced QB, and I think both Jordan DeWalt-Ondijo and Carlos Wray have big days. Jeremy Cash and Devon Edwards will get back to their usual playmaking ways after spending last Saturday playing pinball to Conner's flippers. Anthony Boone and Jamison Crowder will continue the momentum they've picked up, and some less-usual suspects (looking at you, TEs) will get in on the action as the Orange blitz linebackers and leave the mid-field wide open. And Shaun Wilson's cleats will be too hot to touch after logging some miles on turf. We'll give the CFP Committee something to think about.

How great is it that on Saturday morning, I'm excited to don my Duke shirt, read about Duke Football, then watch Duke Football, then read about Duke Football some more? Having watched in-person four seasons of the early 2000's dive-dive-dive-punt offense and slap-and-wave defense. . .having watched plenty of games through various internet feeds in the years that followed, including Cut's first couple campaigns. . .I honestly never thought I'd be this excited about the program. It's a fine time to be a Duke fan, and I am happy to double-up on this mostly-harmless addiction every November when hoops gets started.

Go Duke!

Henderson
11-08-2014, 12:13 PM
Listed on Comcast Sports Net in DC. Go Duke!

It's scheduled for ESPN3 too, "subject to blackout."

I don't know what the blackout policy is, but I'm pretty sure I'll get the game on ESPN3 in Nevada.

What a treat: Duke football on ESPN3 and Duke basketball on goduke.com. If my computer breaks, I'll just slit my wrists with the shards of leftover aluminum.

subzero02
11-08-2014, 12:13 PM
If our turnover free streak continues, we should win by double figures. I want to see a solid effort on defense today though. A return to bend and don't break would be nice after watching Conner splinter our defense.

riverside6
11-08-2014, 12:40 PM
Live stats for Duke/Syracuse here...

http://www.scacchoops.com/duke-at-syracuse-football-live-stats-11082014

Follow the hoops game vs Central Missouri here while you're at it...

http://www.scacchoops.com/central-missouri-at-duke-basketball-live-stats-1182014-1-pm

duke09hms
11-08-2014, 12:41 PM
Anyone have online streams? ESPN3 is blacked out here in Mass.

bbosbbos
11-08-2014, 12:52 PM
Go Duke! Defense.

chaosmage
11-08-2014, 12:53 PM
I had it on ESPN/Apple TV, it cut off for a few minutes during the break, and some tech difficulties made me yell for a moment. Back up and running now.

bbosbbos
11-08-2014, 12:54 PM
Their play calls are really good.

duke09hms
11-08-2014, 12:56 PM
Thanks, finally got a bootleg stream from firstrowsports.eu
Defense is doing a lot of bending right now ...
Picking on Fields with that fade into the endzone.

duke09hms
11-08-2014, 12:57 PM
Their play calls are really good.

According to a lot of people on this board, Syracuse is a crap team with a crap record ...

El_Diablo
11-08-2014, 01:02 PM
We are really sloppy right now.

Udaman
11-08-2014, 01:04 PM
That holding call was absolutely awful. I watched it in slow motion, the Duke guy hit the Syracuse guy, and they both fell down, and the runner is 10 yards past, and they call holding on Duke? That should have been 7 points, and instead Syracuse is going to get great field position. The kind of terrible call that can affect the outcome of a game.

ChrisP
11-08-2014, 01:04 PM
Would really like to have seen a replay of the alleged holding on that return. WTH?

bbosbbos
11-08-2014, 01:05 PM
A crap team? If they keep their current form of O & D, we may be 7:2 in few hours.

According to a lot of people on this board, Syracuse is a crap team with a crap record ...

El_Diablo
11-08-2014, 01:09 PM
Another short route on third down. Sigh.

grossbus
11-08-2014, 01:09 PM
I hate it when our third down throws don't reach the line to make.

ChrisP
11-08-2014, 01:10 PM
Ugh...feeling like a classic trap game. Come on, Duke!

And...why throw a pass on 3rd that's 3 yds short of the sticks???

duke09hms
11-08-2014, 01:19 PM
Syracuse QB is looking real good for a 3rd string freshman.

Whew thank God for that holding. Cuse would have busted a long run on 3rd and short.

grossbus
11-08-2014, 01:21 PM
Finally, some pressure.

duke09hms
11-08-2014, 01:25 PM
Only game I haven't seen is Miami, but it looks like Cuse might have the best defense we've faced.

Yep trap game, we're also getting flagged on a lot of uncharacteristic penalties.

bbosbbos
11-08-2014, 01:27 PM
OL is very bad. Please do not repeat the U game.

-jk
11-08-2014, 01:29 PM
For those interested, DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open.

-jk

duke09hms
11-08-2014, 01:30 PM
Nice, Cuse D-line with 3 offsides penalties, hopefully make them back off a bit.

Boone is looking accurate so far, just a lot of drops.

El_Diablo
11-08-2014, 01:32 PM
Boone is looking accurate so far, just a lot of drops.

His first pass was behind the receiver; his second was at the ankles. He has had two batted down. There have been 2-3 drops too, but he is not putting it where it needs to be.

duke09hms
11-08-2014, 01:33 PM
Nice decision by Boone, finding Wilson on the hot route with blitzer right in his face.

El_Diablo
11-08-2014, 01:33 PM
Nice job, Isaac!

arnie
11-08-2014, 01:34 PM
His first pass was behind the receiver; his second was at the ankles. He has had two batted down. There have been 2-3 drops too, but he is not putting it where it needs to be.

Best play I've ever seen by Blakeney!

duke09hms
11-08-2014, 01:34 PM
AND THATS A DUKE TOUCHDOWN!!!
Boone to BLakeney.
Pass was again short of the 1st down marker but Blakeney breaks the tackle

ChrisP
11-08-2014, 01:37 PM
Yeah, Boone has been pretty good when he has a guy bearing down on him. I will take it but...passing short of the first down makes me nervous.

sagegrouse
11-08-2014, 01:38 PM
Who's the big bozo on the announcing team? James Bates? He was acting like a retired Syracuse cheerleader until about ten minutes ago. Then, I guess, he got a call from the truck who told him to take off his orange glasses. He's been better since.

duke09hms
11-08-2014, 01:40 PM
BORDERS with the INT, let's GO DUKE!!!

wow how did he stay inbounds, sickKKK!

Tripping William
11-08-2014, 01:43 PM
No Dish Network TV in W-S, it seems. Sooooo frustrating!

ChrisP
11-08-2014, 01:47 PM
Why are we suddenly pass happy? Seem to be able to get 3+ ypc when we try

El_Diablo
11-08-2014, 01:49 PM
Why are we suddenly pass happy? Seem to be able to get 3+ ypc when we try

We have had a couple big pass plays, so it seems like we are just going back to the well.

Need to get it past those defensive lineman though...that's the third bat-down.

bbosbbos
11-08-2014, 01:49 PM
Their 3rd QB is down. The 4th one is coming in.

ChrisP
11-08-2014, 01:50 PM
Their 3rd QB is down. The 4th one is coming in.

The way this is going, he'll probably score in like 2 plays

bbosbbos
11-08-2014, 01:53 PM
He likes to run. why do we ignore that?

The way this is going, he'll probably score in like 2 plays

grossbus
11-08-2014, 02:09 PM
I would like to see Boone keep on the zone read. Looks open.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-08-2014, 02:17 PM
Yay... I should go back and apologize on the "Duke gets no TV respect" thread, as I find myself at a crappy sports bar following ESPN Gamecast on my phone.

As I state every week, we have one of the best coaching staffs in the nation, and I am eager to see what we adjust in the second half.

Go Duke!

ChrisP
11-08-2014, 02:17 PM
Jeez, let it bounce into the end zone...ugh!

duke09hms
11-08-2014, 02:19 PM
Whew, Boone has been money on the 3rd downs

ChrisP
11-08-2014, 02:20 PM
Omg...why the swing pass???

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-08-2014, 02:25 PM
Swear to Jah, ESPN Gamecast is the most infuriating way to "watch" a game.

duke09hms
11-08-2014, 02:28 PM
Seriously, why are we continuing with the swing pass on first down, just setting us up for 3rd and long.

Ok, I take back what I said about Boone before.

ChrisP
11-08-2014, 02:29 PM
Is this a record for passes batted down? What's going on?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
Seriously, why are we continuing with the swing pass on first down, just setting us up for 3rd and long.

Maybe he thinks he is in a PPR fantasy league?

El_Diablo
Boone, come on.

ChrisP
11-08-2014, 02:31 PM

Harder to bat down the swing pass, I guess?

SCMatt33
It's pretty clear now that we're just on one of those Bad Boone days. Just need enough good plays to hang on.

devildeac

Boone's not tall enough:rolleyes:.

DU82
11-08-2014, 02:32 PM

He's not tall enough.

He has to roll out of the pocket more.

The Syracuse fans behind me are very impressed with Will Monday. Good high kicks, no returns.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-08-2014, 02:34 PM
He's not tall enough.

He has to roll out of the pocket more.

The Syracuse fans behind me are very impressed with Will Monday. Good high kicks, no returns.

Glad our punter is wowing the opposition. Would prefer an opponent like Syracuse had no knowledge whatsoever of our punter's skills, even postgame.

duke09hms
11-08-2014, 02:35 PM
Syracuse offense looking much more imaginative and productive than ours.

duke09hms
11-08-2014, 02:38 PM
And now it's tied, hopefully our offense can get its head out of its "butt."

arnie
11-08-2014, 02:39 PM
Glad our punter is wowing the opposition. Would prefer an opponent like Syracuse had no knowledge whatsoever of our punter's skills, even postgame.

The O now has to come alive- need to open it up.

devildeac
holy @#$%-their 4th string qb just faked out our entire team for a td

Mabdul Doobakus
Trouble.

devildeac
11-08-2014, 02:41 PM
Trouble.

right here in River City.

grossbus
11-08-2014, 02:42 PM
How long will it take us to figure out that the QB runs???!

duke09hms
11-08-2014, 02:42 PM
Where's all the people that claimed this wasn't a trap game and we were going to roll over a crap team like Syracuse easy.

SCMatt33
11-08-2014, 02:46 PM
With Boone this bad right now, the coaches have to think outside the box. Coach Cut talked about playing not to lose, but outside the second play of the half. That's exactly how they've called the game.

duke09hms
11-08-2014, 02:48 PM
15 yd personal foul on Cash, ugh

El_Diablo
11-08-2014, 02:48 PM
That's a killer penalty.

grossbus
11-08-2014, 02:49 PM
This reminding me of the Miami game.

ChrisP
11-08-2014, 02:50 PM
Yeah...maybe all this talk about lack of penalties is coming back to bite us

duke09hms
11-08-2014, 02:51 PM
Cmon, huge 3rd and 10 here defense

Mabdul Doobakus
11-08-2014, 02:52 PM

Kind of. The difference is that Syracuse is pretty bad, and their mistakes are keeping us in the game. A lot of blown plays on mishandled balls and dropped catches.

Kind of looked like a fair catch call in real time on that play. Not as bad on the replay.

duke09hms
11-08-2014, 02:52 PM
Nice 15 yd PF on syracuse, now we're even

Mabdul Doobakus
11-08-2014, 02:53 PM
All these batted balls come from staring down receivers.

duke09hms
11-08-2014, 02:54 PM
ANOTHER batted pass, can we try running. Now we're at 3rd and 10.

El_Diablo
11-08-2014, 02:54 PM
Boone 0 for his last 6.

Mabdul Doobakus
11-08-2014, 02:55 PM
We're a real mess right now. That was a catchable ball and could have been a big gain by McCaffrey. Nice special teams play, though.

ChrisP
Boone is REALLY off today on his throws. Ugh!

SCMatt33
That's a killer. As bad as Boone has been, you have to catch it when it does hit your hands

arnie

Boone's play?? Why still in there?

bbosbbos
11-08-2014, 02:56 PM
Very disappointed at Boone. How many times are his passes blocked?

grossbus
11-08-2014, 02:56 PM
Someone on offense has got to
Make a play. Like catch the ball.

duke09hms
11-08-2014, 02:57 PM
cmon defense, don't give up a big 3rd down.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-08-2014, 02:57 PM
The O now has to come alive- need to open it up.

Okay, even on Gamecast I can tell THAT was good punting. And good coverage.

HK Dukie
11-08-2014, 03:00 PM
Love it each game when the coaches and players put up 4 fingers for the 4th quarter.

They really believe the 4th quarter belongs to them. And it does.

devildeac
Very disappointed at Boone. How many times are his passes blocked?

12/27, 101 yds. 3 or 4 blocks

El_Diablo
Okay, even on Gamecast I can tell THAT was good punting. And good coverage.

By far our best play of the half...maybe the game.

Mabdul Doobakus
11-08-2014, 03:02 PM
This would be a nice time to get a couple of first downs.

devildeac
bad 3Q for us

duke09hms
cmon guys, just 47 yards to go, short field, let's do it.

duke09hms
11-08-2014, 03:04 PM
Can we complete this 3rd and 4 pass past the 1st down marker?

El_Diablo
11-08-2014, 03:05 PM
Bring on Sirk. At least we have them pinned now.

duke09hms
11-08-2014, 03:05 PM
Can we complete this 3rd and 4 pass past the 1st down marker?

To a Duke player please.

Not a catastrophic result, basically a great punt.

bbosbbos
11-08-2014, 03:06 PM
Speechless for that pass.

arnie
cmon guys, just 47 yards to go, short field, let's do it.

Another poor pass. When will it end!

ChrisP
Why, with good field position do you throw the bomb on 3rd & 4????

duke09hms
11-08-2014, 03:09 PM
Defense needs to make huge play right here, got to hold them.
TOL and safety even better.

arnie
11-08-2014, 03:09 PM
Why, with good field position do you throw the bomb on 3rd & 4????

If we get it back inside 50 why not mix it up and try running game with Sirk?

PDDuke85
11-08-2014, 03:10 PM
No running game, dropped passes, poor QB play.....

AB having a tough day but it's not all on him

ChrisP
11-08-2014, 03:11 PM

Agreed. Sirk can throw, too. Just sayin....

duke09hms
11-08-2014, 03:12 PM
Scottie's turn to have an off day.
Jim's turn to have an on day.

YESSSSSSSSS

Mabdul Doobakus
YES! Exactly what we needed. (Obviously)

PDDuke85
Phew

arnie

Guess it doesn't matter!!!

SCMatt33
That's one way to do it!

El_Diablo
YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!

Just what we needed.

duke09hms
11-08-2014, 03:13 PM
OMG these special teams plays are pulling our butt out of the fire these days.

THANK YOU jamison

we got some pure athletes on dis team!

ChrisP
Well ok then! Way to go Jamison!!!

Now...how about a pick 6? :)

fisheyes
Great Duke crowd there!!!
Go DUKE!!!

bbosbbos
11-08-2014, 03:14 PM
Go Duke. Let's play D.

duke09hms
11-08-2014, 03:16 PM
LETS GO DEFENSE! Get the ball back!

duke09hms
11-08-2014, 03:18 PM
Great job stuffing that fake punt, now make them pay! Let's do something today O

arnie
11-08-2014, 03:21 PM
Great job stuffing that fake punt, now make them pay! Let's do something today O

Nope. But at least they didn't pick that last pass.

ChrisP
11-08-2014, 03:21 PM
Terrible throw by Boone :(

Why not play it safe & run it there? Playcalling seems odd

SCMatt33
11-08-2014, 03:22 PM
Defense and special teams got these las ten points. Time for them to finish it out!

devildeac
11-08-2014, 03:23 PM
Terrible throw by Boone :(

Why not play it safe & run it there? Playcalling seems odd

Yep. SMH.

McCaffrey did a nice job keeping them from the INT.

ChrisP
11-08-2014, 03:24 PM
Yep. SMH.

McCaffrey did a nice job keeping them from the INT.

Yes, the one thing we absolutely couldn't afford there was a TO.

grossbus
11-08-2014, 03:26 PM
Grinding

grossbus
11-08-2014, 03:27 PM
That's a catch!

fisheyes
11-08-2014, 03:28 PM
Oh...I get it now!

Duke was playing rope-a-dope!

Go DUKE!

ChrisP
Another bad throw but...a great catch (and run)

arnie
Grinding

Wow. Best Blakeney has looked!

duke09hms
11-08-2014, 03:29 PM
Whewwwww, 10-10 into the fourth quarter now 27-10, great catch by Blakeney!

PDDuke85
11-08-2014, 03:31 PM
Another bad throw but...a great catch (and run)

Respectfully disagree. Good toss, great catch

El_Diablo
11-08-2014, 03:31 PM
Issac just rag-dolled that defender...wow.

Floodgates are open.

PDDuke85
11-08-2014, 03:33 PM
To whom it may concern:
Respectfully requesting the start time VS VPI be 3:00 PM
Thank you.

ChrisP
11-08-2014, 03:33 PM
Respectfully disagree. Good toss, great catch

Ok, replay looked better. I still think it was underthrown a bit but...I will take it! :)

Mabdul Doobakus
11-08-2014, 03:34 PM
Nice to see Blakeney reach some of his potential.

Duvall
11-08-2014, 03:36 PM
To whom it may concern:
Respectfully requesting the start time VS VPI be 3:00 PM
Thank you.

It's noon.

PDDuke85
11-08-2014, 03:37 PM
It's noon.
Umm, I know. Duke seemed to play better at 3

Duvall
11-08-2014, 03:43 PM
Umm, I know. Duke seemed to play better at 3

Oops, sorry. Gotcha.

duke09hms
11-08-2014, 03:43 PM
Great team win. Defense and special teams carried a poor day on offense.

devildeac
11-08-2014, 03:44 PM
Whew!

SCMatt33
11-08-2014, 03:46 PM
Great seasons are made when you can have a bad day, but still make the plays in the clutch to win. There will be games, namely UNC and any postseason games, where a bad day from the offense might hurt more, but finding ways to win is what this team does

arnie
Whew!

We won a game easily in the 4th quarter and gained only about 250 yards. Never thought Duke football could do that.

devildeac
Looks like we gave up 224 total yards and won the TO battle again. On to VT. Survive and advance.

Acymetric
11-08-2014, 04:01 PM
Great scene at the end with Boone signing an autograph and Blakeney giving his gloves to fans on the sidelines (plus lots of handshakes and high fives). Love the team going over to the sidelines both home and away every game this year, hope that continues this year and in the future (we have done it in the past but not every game of the season that I can remember).

Lot's of frustration throughout the game but ended up winning convincingly, got to be proud of this team.

jv001
11-08-2014, 04:02 PM
I have never seen so many batted balls from a QB like Boone had today. I kept hoping he would fake a pass and run a draw. Anything to keep the defense honest. But another great win. Beat the Hokies and GoDuke!

OldPhiKap
11-08-2014, 04:03 PM
Very proud of our team. DOMINATED when it got to Knut-cutting time. And I will say again, we have the best coaching staff in the ACC. For real.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-08-2014, 04:05 PM
Great scene at the end with Boone signing an autograph and Blakeney giving his gloves to fans on the sidelines (plus lots of handshakes and high fives). Love the team going over to the sidelines both home and away every game this year, hope that continues this year and in the future (we have done it in the past but not every game of the season that I can remember).

Lot's of frustration throughout the game but ended up winning convincingly, got to be proud of this team.
The team going over to the sidelines after each game could be a wonderful tradition.... combine that with the band playing of the alma mater at the end of the game and it's going to look like a scene at a football school.

SCMatt33
11-08-2014, 04:05 PM
How about this to show how much the D stepped up. Duke's been called a "bend don't break" defense this year, but that wasn't the case today. After giving up the tying TD in the third, Syracuse had 7 more possessions in the game. They got exactly 1 first down, and that one came on a dead ball personal foul. That's dominance right there.

IsInTheDetails
11-08-2014, 04:15 PM
Once my heart resumed beating last Saturday after the Pitt game, I began to fear this week's game against the Orange. Seems like a quintessential trap game. On the road, unusual environment (dome, turf, long way from Durham), against a team with a deceptively bad record and a genuinely long injury list. This is a game the odds-makers, media, and fans expect we should win. Perfect time for a letdown. And it still may be just that.

But as I get geeked up this morning, I believe Coach Cut will have the team primed to make a statement. When the whistle sounds at the end of regulation --- and please, for my heart's sake, let there be no overtime --- I think we'll see the Devils win by 20+. Our healthy, deep D-Line should be aggressive and opportunistic against a banged-up Orange O-Line and inexperienced QB, and I think both Jordan DeWalt-Ondijo and Carlos Wray have big days. Jeremy Cash and Devon Edwards will get back to their usual playmaking ways after spending last Saturday playing pinball to Conner's flippers. Anthony Boone and Jamison Crowder will continue the momentum they've picked up, and some less-usual suspects (looking at you, TEs) will get in on the action as the Orange blitz linebackers and leave the mid-field wide open. And Shaun Wilson's cleats will be too hot to touch after logging some miles on turf. We'll give the CFP Committee something to think about.

How great is it that on Saturday morning, I'm excited to don my Duke shirt, read about Duke Football, then watch Duke Football, then read about Duke Football some more? Having watched in-person four seasons of the early 2000's dive-dive-dive-punt offense and slap-and-wave defense. . .having watched plenty of games through various internet feeds in the years that followed, including Cut's first couple campaigns. . .I honestly never thought I'd be this excited about the program. It's a fine time to be a Duke fan, and I am happy to double-up on this mostly-harmless addiction every November when hoops gets started.

Go Duke!

Okay, well, I was dead wrong for most of the game (it *was* a trap game. . .should've trusted my first instincts) but glad to see our team pull away in the end. Props to great special teams (Monday, Martin, punt coverage, Jamison's TD, Edwards' should-have-been TD) and the didn't-even-bend-that-much defense. Cash and Edwards made their plays, but Borders' highlight reel pick was unbelievable.

Hard to be too excited about this offensive performance, but some leftover game balls to Shaq Powell, who ran hard when we needed it, and Isaac Blakeney, who again teased us with next-level potential on just three catches.

Let's go home to Durham and practice hard. Virginia Tech looks like another trap game to me.

Any notable injuries on the Duke side today? Gotta feel for the Orange. That's a very talented defense and a very scrappy offense missing half its starters.

CameronBornAndBred
11-08-2014, 04:25 PM
Interesting mix of good, bad and ugly, but once again we proved that we could be good in the 4th quarter.
The road to Charlotte now definitively goes through Durham. We just need to play our game, and hopefully have at least 30K+ fans helping the team enjoy the drive each game.

grossbus
11-08-2014, 04:56 PM
VaTech fans travel well. I hope our fans respond to the team's success and grit and fill the seats.

devildeac
11-08-2014, 05:02 PM

Boone signing autographs?

Blakeney giving out apparel?

Oh, crap, hope nobody report them:rolleyes:.

weezie
11-08-2014, 05:02 PM
And they play their hoops in that giant barn. Why don't they have a nice arena? Really I'm curious, does anybody know? :confused:

devildeac
11-08-2014, 05:03 PM
Very proud of our team. DOMINATED when it got to Knut-cutting time. And I will say again, we have the best coaching staff in the ACC. For real.

Cut might beg to differ. IIRC, I think he's said we have the best staff in the country;).

devildeac
11-08-2014, 05:09 PM
Out-gained a foe for the first time in several weeks if my neurons aren't being faulty:D.

duke09hms
11-08-2014, 07:05 PM
With no bye week and in the middle of 5 games in a row, anyone know if we had any injuries today? Two physical games in 5 days against dirty opponents (VT/UNC) will be tough on our guys.

roywhite
11-08-2014, 07:13 PM
And they play their hoops in that giant barn. Why don't they have a nice arena? Really I'm curious, does anybody know? :confused:

Mental health for the locals during the dreary winter. They need a place where 40,000 to 50,000 can go for a little fun.

devildeac
11-08-2014, 07:32 PM
With no bye week and in the middle of 5 games in a row, anyone know if we had any injuries today? Two physical games in 5 days against dirty opponents (VT/UNC) will be tough on our guys.

I only recall 1 Duke player down during the game but never got his name/number. I'll check with my son-in-law in an hour or so when the team plane lands at RDU;).

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-08-2014, 07:37 PM
I only recall 1 Duke player down during the game but never got his name/number. I'll check with my son-in-law in an hour or so when the team plane lands at RDU;).
Jamal Bruce.... he was back in the game later. (Dr. Moorman was examining the left knee on the sidelines for a while.)

devildeac
11-08-2014, 07:38 PM
Jamal Bruce.... he was back in the game later.

Good to hear. Thanks.

Olympic Fan
11-08-2014, 09:08 PM
Lucas Patrick hobbled off with an injury ... I don't think he came back (Cody Robinson was playing in his spot late in the game).

Dez Johnson was also hurt. It looked like a head/neck injury. Not sure whether he came back, but he definitely left the game.

on another note. I've had a lot of fun recently reading the other message boards in the Coastal Division. We have the Georgia Tech fans so frustrated at our continued success that they can't talk coherently -- their posts are like a man sputtering.

The Miami boards are fascinating too. I would sum up their view of Duke as utter contempt. They have a thread debating the best team they beat this year -- one guy suggested Duke and was shot down immediately. The consensus is their best win was 4-5 Virginia Tech, although a large number argued for Nebraska (which was, in fact, a loss). There are a few other mentions of Duke and how bogus they are. It will KILL them if we make it to the ACC title game again for the second straight year, when they have NEVER played in it.

And the UNC frustration towards Duke is just too delicious for words.

cspan37421
11-08-2014, 09:38 PM
The Miami boards are fascinating too. I would sum up their view of Duke as utter contempt. They have a thread debating the best team they beat this year -- one guy suggested Duke and was shot down immediately. The consensus is their best win was 4-5 Virginia Tech, although a large number argued for Nebraska (which was, in fact, a loss). There are a few other mentions of Duke and how bogus they are. It will KILL them if we make it to the ACC title game again for the second straight year, when they have NEVER played in it.

It is amusing. However, the truth is our SOS is not respectable. Sagarin has us at 100 for that.

I'm sure we get some extra flack because we're Duke, and some disbelief because our recent history prior to Cut has been very poor, but I think the "utter" part of utter contempt comes from our schedule. Now, is that schedule an over-rated factor? We'll see. If we're fortunate enough to get a rematch with FSU, we have a chance to prove we're not a cupcake-fueled one-loss team. It would be nice to show up better than last year ... again, if we get that chance. Still a few games to take care of.

sagegrouse
11-08-2014, 09:46 PM
on another note. I've had a lot of fun recently reading the other message boards in the Coastal Division. We have the Georgia Tech fans so frustrated at our continued success that they can't talk coherently -- their posts are like a man sputtering.

And the UNC frustration towards Duke is just too delicious for words.

Miami gets to say whatever it wants. Georgia Tech? We beat the crap out of them at Grant Field, and the score was close only because we took our foot off the gas pedal.

It seems to me that, except for GT, our other wins have been against teams that seemed to be roughly at the same level as the Devils. The difference is that our guys, after many years in the wilderness, have learned how to compete and win -- at least -- knock on wood -- so far.

BTW, one difference today was team speed. We had guys that could break away and be gone.

peloton
11-08-2014, 09:52 PM
That was a little "too exciting" of a game for me today. You've got to hand it to this injury riddled Syracuse team; other players rose to the occasion and played with a real intensity and toughness. Their fans should be encouraged by much of what they saw today. That said, I'm very proud of the way our guys stepped up in the face of pressure (as the result of a sputtering offense) in the 4th quarter. Duke truly has become a good team that finds ways to win (even) the close ones. There were many big contributors to today's win...Will, Ross, Shaq, Jamison, Issac, Anthony, and the entire defense. I've got to agree with what was said earlier re:the players signing autographs, giving away gloves, etc. - very cool to see, a great way to bond with especially the younger fans, and good to see that the guys are enjoying their "celebrity status". Here's hoping that Anthony and the rest of the team continue to stay focused on each upcoming game (only). If we do that, this team just might continue to surprise people and in the process, pickup some additional fans along the way.

We just need to play our game, and hopefully have at least 30K+ fans helping the team enjoy the drive each game.

CB&B, I'll be doing my part (at least) for the upcoming VT game as I'll be there with my younger son. Hopefully we get a chance to stop by and say hello to everyone at The TBCC. I'm not sure if I've met DITBD or not, but whatever the case...it would be great to see you also and discuss further the prospect of Duke fans making the trip next year down to Nawlins/Tulane via Amtrak's Crescent.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-08-2014, 09:55 PM
That was a little "too exciting" of a game for me today. You've got to hand it to this injury riddled Syracuse team; other players rose to the occasion and played with a real intensity and toughness. Their fans should be encouraged by much of what they saw today. That said, I'm very proud of the way our guys stepped up in the face of pressure (as the result of a sputtering offense) in the 4th quarter. Duke truly has become a good team that finds ways to win (even) the close ones. There were many big contributors to today's win...Will, Ross, Shaq, Jamison, Issac, Anthony, and the entire defense. I've got to agree with what was said earlier re:the players signing autographs, giving away gloves, etc. - very cool to see, a great way to bond with especially the younger fans, and good to see that the guys are enjoying their "celebrity status". Here's hoping that Anthony and the rest of the team continue to stay focused on each upcoming game (only). If we do that, this team just might continue to surprise people and in the process, pickup some additional fans along the way.

CB&B, I'll be doing my part (at least) for the upcoming VT game as I'll be there with my younger son. Hopefully we get a chance to stop by and say hello to everyone at The TBCC. I'm not sure if I've met DITBD or not, but whatever the case...it would be great to see you also and discuss further the prospect of Duke fans making the trip next year down to Nawlins/Tulane via Amtrak's Crescent.

Looking forward to meeting you Saturday.. Tent #1, the tent closest to Cameron and Wallace Wade. The sign says Devil with the Blue Dress On.

Newton_14
11-08-2014, 11:32 PM
It is amusing. However, the truth is our SOS is not respectable. Sagarin has us at 100 for that.

I'm sure we get some extra flack because we're Duke, and some disbelief because our recent history prior to Cut has been very poor, but I think the "utter" part of utter contempt comes from our schedule. Now, is that schedule an over-rated factor? We'll see. If we're fortunate enough to get a rematch with FSU, we have a chance to prove we're not a cupcake-fueled one-loss team. It would be nice to show up better than last year ... again, if we get that chance. Still a few games to take care of.

It may be fair to criticize our OOC schedule, but it certainly isn't fair to criticize our conference schedule. I mean, by ACC Rules, we have to play every team in our division. When you are the best team in your division then obviously you are going to be expected to win all your division games. That's kind of how that works. We had one really bad division game on the road and still had every opportunity in the world to win it throughout the second half despite our poor play. We handled a really good GaTech team at their place, and they are killing everyone else.

I am not ashamed of our conference schedule at all and no one else should be either. There is nothing to apologize for. It's a big conference so it is not possible to play every team in the Atlantic Division, but again we are better than all the Atlantic Teams except for FSU who is the Number 2 team in the country. No other ACC team is better than them either.

Clemson, with their starting QB would be a formidable foe, but I am very comfortable saying we are the second best team in the ACC with Clemson having to use their 2nd String QB, and would love to play them at full strength.

We are 8-1 and 4-1 and I am not apologizing to a single soul for it.

Olympic Fan
11-09-2014, 02:29 AM
It may be fair to criticize our OOC schedule, but it certainly isn't fair to criticize our conference schedule. I mean, by ACC Rules, we have to play every team in our division. When you are the best team in your division then obviously you are going to be expected to win all your division games. That's kind of how that works. We had one really bad division game on the road and still had every opportunity in the world to win it throughout the second half despite our poor play. We handled a really good GaTech team at their place, and they are killing everyone else.

Good point -- our OOC patsies have nothing to do with our first-place in the Coastal.

We DO get a break in that our two crossover games with the Atlantic are about as easy as you can get -- Wake and Syracuse. If I were a Miami fan I'd be whining too -- their crossover game sare at Louisville and FSU.

But by my count the Coastal Division's record within the Coastal are at the moment:

Duke 3-1 (lost to Miami)
Miami 3-1 (lost to Ga Tech)
Georgia Tech 4-2 (lost to Duke and UNC)
UNC 2-2 (lost to Miami and Va Tech)
Pitt 1-3 (lost to Va, Ga Tech and Duke)
Virginia 1-3 (lost to Duke, UNC and Ga Tech)
Virginia Tech 1-3 (lost to Ga Tech, Pitt, Miami)

I've said before and I'll say it again, our weak schedule has and should keep us out of the discussion for the four-team playoff. But when it comes to the ACC, I'm not going to apologize for beating the teams we're told to play.

devildeac
11-09-2014, 06:59 AM
Good point -- our OOC patsies have nothing to do with our first-place in the Coastal.

We DO get a break in that our two crossover games with the Atlantic are about as easy as you can get -- Wake and Syracuse. If I were a Miami fan I'd be whining too -- their crossover game sare at Louisville and FSU.

But by my count the Coastal Division's record within the Coastal are at the moment:

Duke 3-1 (lost to Miami)
Miami 3-1 (lost to Ga Tech)
Georgia Tech 4-2 (lost to Duke and UNC)
UNC 2-2 (lost to Miami and Va Tech)
Pitt 1-3 (lost to Va, Ga Tech and Duke)
Virginia 1-3 (lost to Duke, UNC and Ga Tech)
Virginia Tech 1-3 (lost to Ga Tech, Pitt, Miami)

I've said before and I'll say it again, our weak schedule has and should keep us out of the discussion for the four-team playoff. But when it comes to the ACC, I'm not going to apologize for beating the teams we're told to play.

Hey Miami: STHU!

I don't recall any sympathy for us 2 years ago when we had to play f$u and Clemson as our crossover games and we got absolutely hammered in those games, starting an 0-4 November.

MarkD83
11-09-2014, 07:05 AM
This is such a refreshing thread. Here we are arguing about SOS and whether a Duke team deserves to be at the top of the ACC and we are talking football.

BTW I almost feel embarrassed by the fact that I watched the entire football game then sat down to look at the football box score only to find out the basketball team had won their exhibition.

devildeac
11-09-2014, 08:36 AM
This is such a refreshing thread. Here we are arguing about SOS and whether a Duke team deserves to be at the top of the ACC and we are talking football.

BTW I almost feel embarrassed by the fact that I watched the entire football game then sat down to look at the football box score only to find out the basketball team had won their exhibition.

16 post-game posts and 8 in-game posts for the MBB game yesterday.

Football school. ;)

HK Dukie
11-09-2014, 08:36 AM

Don't be too embarrassed. We all love basketball, and Duke basketball in particular but you are comparing a preseason game to what effectively was a play in game to the final 64 potentially. Duke Football has 4 games to go to potentially (smallest of small chances) get a spot in the final 4 CFP. That means next week vs Va Tech is essentially the round of 64. Win three games and you are in the Elite Eight vs FSU. Win that and you have a chance at the final four.

It's tourny time baby!

devildeac
11-09-2014, 08:42 AM
Don't be too embarrassed. We all love basketball, and Duke basketball in particular but you are comparing a preseason game to what effectively was a play in game to the final 64 potentially. Duke Football has 4 games to go to potentially (smallest of small chances) get a spot in the final 4 CFP. That means next week vs Va Tech is essentially the round of 64. Win three games and you are in the Elite Eight vs FSU. Win that and you have a chance at the final four.

It's tourny time baby!

At least we don't have to play Mercer (or Lehigh) in your "round of 64.":rolleyes:;)

cspan37421
11-09-2014, 08:59 AM
It may be fair to criticize our OOC schedule, but it certainly isn't fair to criticize our conference schedule. ...We are 8-1 and 4-1 and I am not apologizing to a single soul for it.

I'm not criticizing it either. I'm just offering a potential explanation of why Miami fans are said to have "utter contempt" for us. SOS is a big part of that, and always, in every sport, it's something that can only be partially controlled (and even then, not as much as it appears ... you can control your OOC schedule but you can't control whether those OOC teams are on the rise or poised for a fall, ... KU comes to mind!).

Even if Miami fans are actually criticizing it, they have a case, whether it's in our control or mostly not.

cspan37421
11-09-2014, 09:17 AM
USA Today box score lists "Brian Moore" as our punter.

Is it that hard to get a name right? Isn't it on his jersey? It's not like they need a genius to do it, like Norman Einstein. :D

budwom
11-09-2014, 09:51 AM
Listening to other teams whine is kind of fun....but parenthetically, I would not be stunned if Miami beats FSU. I think they are
playing the best ball in the division right now, but hey, tough luck, Miami. If you want a better division position, try beating Georgia Tech.

Yesterday's win was a tad ugly at times, but winning on the road is always nice, and as Cut said, Syracuse has some solid defenders.

My one area of concern is the number of times (at least five) when Boone tried to throw the ball through defensive linemen. This rarely works.
I know he's not very tall, but he's got to find lanes in which to throw. NONE of those blocks was particularly impressive, Boone pretty much threw the ball directly at the linemen.

Playing VT is always a bit ugly for us....usually they have a pretty solid defense and an erratic at best offense, looks to be the case again this year.
As it has been, our ability to make mistake free football will go a long way towards determining who wins Saturday.

p.s. bring a warm coat! Possible temps in the forties, tough for you SubMasonDixonites!

p.p.s. Our one turnover yesterday was pretty fruitful in that it pinned Syracuse way back in their own territory (I think it was on a third down play) and it's unlikely
a punt could have resulted in better field position.

rsvman
11-09-2014, 11:04 AM
p.p.s. Our one turnover yesterday was pretty fruitful in that it pinned Syracuse way back in their own territory (I think it was on a third down play) and it's unlikely
a punt could have resulted in better field position.

Precisely. My son and I were talking about that during the game. The defender would've helped his team immensely by batting the pass down rather than intercepting it. That "good play" was actually instrumental in helping Duke to win the game, in my opinion.

To be fair, it's very hard for a defensive back to be cerebral about game situation when he has the chance to make a pick. Still, I think he hurt his own team by that play.

CameronBornAndBred
11-09-2014, 11:10 AM
Precisely. My son and I were talking about that during the game. The defender would've helped his team immensely by batting the pass down rather than intercepting it. That "good play" was actually instrumental in helping Duke to win the game, in my opinion.

To be fair, it's very hard for a defensive back to be cerebral about game situation when he has the chance to make a pick. Still, I think he hurt his own team by that play.
We almost made the same mistake in the endzone on their last second hail-mary to end the half. I don't remember who went up for it, but our guy tried to make the pick instead of batting it away. With so many people around, I was dreading seeing us catch it, and then fumble. Just knock it down, guys, because you ain't running that back 100 yards out of that crowd.

johnb
11-09-2014, 11:14 AM

Agreed. My first thought was that we didn't need to throw such a low percentage pass, but the interception was better than almost any punt could have been. Having 98/99 yards to go on two consecutive ?) series must have been demoralizing to a banged-up offense.

wilson
11-09-2014, 12:15 PM
We almost made the same mistake in the endzone on their last second hail-mary to end the half. I don't remember who went up for it, but our guy tried to make the pick instead of batting it away. With so many people around, I was dreading seeing us catch it, and then fumble. Just knock it down, guys, because you ain't running that back 100 yards out of that crowd.It was Jeremy Cash...interesting, since he's ordinarily such a leader on the field for us. We noticed that play at our gathering too.

sagegrouse
11-09-2014, 12:23 PM
We almost made the same mistake in the endzone on their last second hail-mary to end the half. I don't remember who went up for it, but our guy tried to make the pick instead of batting it away. With so many people around, I was dreading seeing us catch it, and then fumble. Just knock it down, guys, because you ain't running that back 100 yards out of that crowd.

It was Jeremy Cash...interesting, since he's ordinarily such a leader on the field for us. We noticed that play at our gathering too.

Even on 3rd or 4th down, DB's always see to go for the interception, no matter whether college or pro. In the NFL, I wonder if they all have incentives for interceptions, but more likely, playing defensive back is really hard and the defenders are hard-wired to go for the INT.

DukieInKansas
11-10-2014, 02:59 AM
I woke up at 1:30 and discovered that Fox Sports Midwest was replaying the game. I hope I fall asleep before it ends. At least I joined the game in the 3rd quarter.

Skitzle
11-10-2014, 08:24 AM
Even on 3rd or 4th down, DB's always see to go for the interception, no matter whether college or pro. In the NFL, I wonder if they all have incentives for interceptions, but more likely, playing defensive back is really hard and the defenders are hard-wired to go for the INT.

Not necessarily, it is perhaps like focusing on steals instead of your plus minus in basketball.

Is completion rate against a stat that is tracked in the NFL?

Olympic Fan
11-10-2014, 11:33 AM
Not necessarily, it is perhaps like focusing on steals instead of your plus minus in basketball.

Is completion rate against a stat that is tracked in the NFL?

I don't know about a stat for individual players, but ACC teams are tracked for both Pass Defense (which merely measures yards allowed) and Pass Efficiency Defense (which factors in such things as interceptions, TD passes allowed and most importantly yards per pass attempt). Duke is a mediocre 7th in the ACC in Pass Defense, but is the No. 2 Pass Efficiency Defense.

I don't know all the numbers, but Duke has allowed an ACC-low five touchdown passes and is allowing opponents a 51.9 percent completion rate -- the third-best in the league. Our interception number (8) is middle of the pack.

jimsumner
11-10-2014, 02:11 PM
I don't know about a stat for individual players, but ACC teams are tracked for both Pass Defense (which merely measures yards allowed) and Pass Efficiency Defense (which factors in such things as interceptions, TD passes allowed and most importantly yards per pass attempt). Duke is a mediocre 7th in the ACC in Pass Defense, but is the No. 2 Pass Efficiency Defense.

I don't know all the numbers, but Duke has allowed an ACC-low five touchdown passes and is allowing opponents a 51.9 percent completion rate -- the third-best in the league. Our interception number (8) is middle of the pack.

Which is all the more impressive considering that Duke doesn't exactly get a lot of sacks.

Wander
11-10-2014, 02:24 PM
Which is all the more impressive considering that Duke doesn't exactly get a lot of sacks.

I'm not sure the correlation goes the way you think it goes. Sacks aren't pass plays by definition, so I don't know they if go into any of these pass defensive stats. Now, it's probably the case that if you get a lot of sacks, you also cause a lot of quarterback hurries and such... but it also might mean you're blitzing a lot and leaving receivers open or in favorable coverage.

jimsumner
11-10-2014, 06:23 PM
I'm not sure the correlation goes the way you think it goes. Sacks aren't pass plays by definition, so I don't know they if go into any of these pass defensive stats. Now, it's probably the case that if you get a lot of sacks, you also cause a lot of quarterback hurries and such... but it also might mean you're blitzing a lot and leaving receivers open or in favorable coverage.

As a general rule teams with lots of sacks are teams that apply lot of pressure on plays that don't result in sacks but do force QBs to throw under duress. I do not believe that Duke's pass rush forces opposing quarterbacks to throw under duress at a rate consistent with the ability of Duke's DBs to limit completions.

And Duke doesn't blitz in disproportionate numbers. Nothing like Jon Tenuta's defense at Virginia.

Hence my belief that Duke's defensive backs are pretty good.

Newton_14
11-10-2014, 11:26 PM

I listened to Steve Logan this morning on the way in and he threw out some mind boggling conference only stats. He started with the fact that in conference games Duke is averaging 28 ppg and giving up an avg of 27ppg... so 1 point differential on the scoreboard yet only one loss. Then he went into all the various areas where Duke is either Number 1 in the league or near the top. I don't remember them all but it was amazing. Turnovers, penalties, negative plays, sacks, etc. Incredible stuff.

CameronBornAndBred
11-11-2014, 12:10 AM
I listened to Steve Logan this morning on the way in and he threw out some mind boggling conference only stats. He started with the fact that in conference games Duke is averaging 28 ppg and giving up an avg of 27ppg... so 1 point differential on the scoreboard yet only one loss. Then he went into all the various areas where Duke is either Number 1 in the league or near the top. I don't remember them all but it was amazing. Turnovers, penalties, negative plays, sacks, etc. Incredible stuff.
I saw the link for that on WRAL, did some searching and I think this it.
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/logan-zone-duke-stays-true-to-duke-state-struggles/14164869//

sagegrouse
11-11-2014, 02:06 AM

Hmmm.... Four-point differential, I think. Duke has scored 139 in five conference games, or 27.8 pg. Opponents have scored 118, or 23.6 ppg.