PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion For Duke "Pushback" To Comment By ESPN Commentator Anish Shroff

Duke71
11-01-2014, 03:53 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I just heard Mr. Anish Shroff make a rather tasteless comment on ESPNU right after the conclusion of the Duke football game victory over Pitt, as the broadcast was transitioning to another ACC game.

The comment was something akin to, "Duke kept the 1%ers in the ACC happy, while there's still plenty of action going on in the middle class".

I don't have a Twitter account, a Facebook footprint, or other new-school social media contacts. I'm old school, so I don't have a network I can "turn on" to give some pushback on this myself. But, this was a cheap shot by a kid whose parents were probably immigrants and apparently didn't instill the value of shunning classless shots which show a misunderstanding of class, both figuratively and literally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anish_Shroff

devildeac
11-01-2014, 03:55 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I just heard Mr. Anish Shroff make a rather tasteless comment on ESPNU right after the conclusion of the Duke football game victory over Pitt, as the broadcast was transitioning to another ACC game.

The comment was something akin to, "Duke kept the 1%ers in the ACC happy, while there's still plenty of action going on in the middle class".

I don't have a Twitter account, a Facebook footprint, or other new-school social media contacts. I'm old school, so I don't have a network I can "turn on" to give some pushback on this myself. But, this was a cheap shot by a kid whose parents were probably immigrants and apparently didn't instill the value of shunning classless shots which show a misunderstanding of class, both figuratively and literally.

Duke football. It's nice to be hated.;)

hurleyfor3
11-01-2014, 03:59 PM
Yay, I'm a one-percenter. Who was raised by a Pitt alumnus.

I'm also old enough to remember the Jackie Sherrill/Dan Marino years, when Pitt was in college football's 1%.

jgehtland
11-01-2014, 03:59 PM

First of all, I can only assume he was talking about the fact that we were already at the top of the division and this simply adds to our cushion, while in the middle of the pack there is plenty of interesting football being played.

Secondly, even assuming he meant something rude by it (like, I guess, "Duke is full of rich kids"?) what could his parents being immigrants POSSIBLY have to do with it? Where in the world did that come from?

Duvall
11-01-2014, 04:04 PM
First of all, I can only assume he was talking about the fact that we were already at the top of the division and this simply adds to our cushion, while in the middle of the pack there is plenty of interesting football being played.

Secondly, even assuming he meant something rude by it (like, I guess, "Duke is full of rich kids"?) what could his parents being immigrants POSSIBLY have to do with it? Where in the world did that come from?

Yeah, I think this was a reference to Duke as division leader. Keep your powder dry for Len Elmore's next game.

Bob Green
11-01-2014, 04:04 PM

I agree! Immigrants have made our country what it is.

Mabdul Doobakus
11-01-2014, 04:07 PM
I didn't hear the comments. It does sound like generic class warfare of the sort we see from people who hate Duke basketball, but why take offense...

Embrace it, I say. A lot of people in this world are striving to be in that 1%, and even though most of us probably aren't there, if people want to look at us that way, I say let them.

Haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate.

EDIT: 1%er is not a football term. So if he said exactly that--1%--it sounds more to me like a comment on our reputation as trust fund elitists and not as an elite football program. But again, I confess I did not hear the comments.

cspan37421
11-01-2014, 04:11 PM

It is unclear to me what he meant by that. One could take an uncharitable view and assume it's about wealth, but it's not clear-cut, certainly not with the second half of that sentence you quote. I can see it being a bitter comment on wealth perception but it's definitely not unambiguous. Maybe you should contact him and ask what he meant. I bet an email for him could be found. If he did mean it about wealth, perhaps you should point out that about half of Duke students are on financial aid ... there are all kinds of stats that clearly show what a diverse place Duke is. Probably more diverse than most people think.

But it would be gratifying and amusing if he was saying that our FB team is elite but there are still other games left to be played among average ACC teams.

CDu
11-01-2014, 04:17 PM
I also took it as a (poorly worded) reference to the fact that Duke is staying on top of the division while the middle of the pack is still a mess.

Duke71
11-01-2014, 04:18 PM
Yeah, I think this was a reference to Duke as division leader. Keep your powder dry for Len Elmore's next game.

Duvall. I loved your perspective and comment. It's spot-on. Props to Len Elmore, the former basketball star. Not so much to Lenny's take on things once he got in the broadcast booth. (smile)

Bob, I couldn't agree more. I'm a first generation immigrant myself. I never forget that, but I also don't get hung up on runaway political correctness either.

Glad we won today. I predicted that whoever had the ball last would prevail. Turned out that way.

loran16
11-01-2014, 04:18 PM
Anish is actually very favorable of Duke in general. He called like 4 Duke games last year for ESPN and is a big fan of our Lacrosse program (he does their lacrosse coverage).

You are massively overreacting here.

Duke71
11-01-2014, 04:24 PM
Anish is actually very favorable of Duke in general. He called like 4 Duke games last year for ESPN and is a big fan of our Lacrosse program (he does their lacrosse coverage).

Loran16, I didn't realize that. Thanks for that feedback.

TruBlu
11-01-2014, 04:28 PM
I also took it as a (poorly worded) reference to the fact that Duke is staying on top of the division while the middle of the pack is still a mess.

Yes, especially since the comment was made while the Coastal Division standings were being shown. I actually took it as a compliment.:)

It's a welcome change to be considered the top 1% of the conference.

MarkD83
11-01-2014, 04:37 PM

I'll second this comment. Anish is a very strong Duke lacrosse supporter. I think he was trying to say something "cute" in a final comment and it came out wrong.

Reilly
11-01-2014, 04:38 PM
... Immigrants have made our country what it is.

So they're to blame? I kid, I kid ...

Anish seems like a good guy -- enjoy his coverage. Didn't hear the comment; sounds football-related to me (as described).

I just recently learned that that "haters gonna hate" song is by Taylor Swift. It's sort of catchy and I'm glad I didn't know it was by her when I first heard it.

What a great program we have -- hate that Kelby's not in there, loved seeing him so animated on the sidelines ... Kevin White jumping for joy ... just tremendous, likable, hard-working, respectful folks through and through ... on goduke, they had a video recently of the equipment guys (Wes Pickell and Co.) and they all seem so likable and hard-working .... Cut's a great person, w/ great people skills, and he attracts great people and has built a tremendous, hard-working, humble, hungry organization ....

budwom
11-01-2014, 04:40 PM

Yeah, he's great with Duke on his lacrosse broadcasts, no problem with the man whatsoever...

hurleyfor3
11-01-2014, 04:44 PM
It seems this issue is resolved.