PDA

View Full Version : 6th Years for Kelby Brown & Braxton Deaver? YES!!!

paris95
10-31-2014, 05:31 PM
I'm enjoying the heck out of this season and am looking forward to watching another good one tomorrow at Ketchup Field. I generally hate talking about next year during the current season, especially when we're having such a good run, but I was wondering about the status of Kelby and Braxton. Their chances for getting a sixth year of eligibility would seem to be good based on their past injuries, and I would think that both Duke and the players would like to know either way as soon as possible so that they can prepare. I'm assuming that both would want to come back, something that wasn't always the case when I was there, but both seem to have good reasons for wanting to play another season, and who doesn't want to play on a good team?

Does anyone know whether one or both are pursuing 6th years, what their chances are, and what the timing for that decision is? Having those two experienced guys to help bring the young guys along would obviously be huge for us next year. Apologies if this question was answered elsewhere, but I couldn't find the thread. I know there was a discussion right after the injuries happened, but I haven't seen anything since.

Looking forward to pounding on the Panthers tomorrow!

-- Brad

TruBlu
10-31-2014, 06:07 PM
I'm hoping we get to see both wearing Duke Blue next year. It would seem that returning for their 6th year would enhance their chances in the draft, providing they can have a healthy season.

Whether they do or don't, it has been great having them. Best wishes to them, whatever they decide.

p.s. GTHc

DukeSean
10-31-2014, 08:46 PM
I don't think Brown has NFL draft potential, unfortunately. That would probably make him lean towards coming back for a 6th year, if possible.

Deaver, however, did have a good shot at being drafted mid-late rounds before getting injured. For him to come back for a 6th year it'd really depend on if he thought he could still get drafted.

My guess is that Brown comes back but I have no idea on Deaver.

Newton_14
10-31-2014, 09:02 PM
I don't think Brown has NFL draft potential, unfortunately. That would probably make him lean towards coming back for a 6th year, if possible.

Deaver, however, did have a good shot at being drafted mid-late rounds before getting injured. For him to come back for a 6th year it'd really depend on if he thought he could still get drafted.

My guess is that Brown comes back but I have no idea on Deaver.

The NCAA first has to grant them 6th years though and the misleading original title of this thread had me clicking on the link with glee as I thought the thread was announcing they had been granted their 6th year. I added the question mark to the title once I saw it was just an inquiry and not an announcement.

Hopefully they both will be granted a 6th year but we have to await the NCAA decision. (If Duke has even requested it? Not sure on that. Would need Jim or Oly to weigh in)

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-31-2014, 09:41 PM
The NCAA first has to grant them 6th years though and the misleading original title of this thread had me clicking on the link with glee as I thought the thread was announcing they had been granted their 6th year. I added the question mark to the title once I saw it was just an inquiry and not an announcement.

Hopefully they both will be granted a 6th year but we have to await the NCAA decision. (If Duke has even requested it? Not sure on that. Would need Jim or Oly to weigh in)
It's my impression that it's still too early to know what Kelby and Braxton will decide to do.

Leelee902
10-31-2014, 10:03 PM
I think another huge question will be can they ever play competitive football again? According to multiple people I know in both game ops and sports info, the word is that they both suffered career ending injuries. I definitely hope they are wrong!

paris95
11-01-2014, 03:22 AM

Sorry for the confusion and for driving undue optimism, and thanks for correcting the title. I should have included the punctuation in my original title. My question is the same: has the application been submitted and does anyone know what the timeline and chances are?

Olympic Fan
11-01-2014, 12:56 PM
I think another huge question will be can they ever play competitive football again? According to multiple people I know in both game ops and sports info, the word is that they both suffered career ending injuries. I definitely hope they are wrong!

I haven't heard anything like this ... both were serious injuries, but I've not heard anybody I know suggest the injuries are career ending for either player.

We are still a long, long way from welcoming either player back for a sixth year.

The first step is for the players themselves to decide if they want to come back. I don't know Braxton's situation that well, but I know that Kelby graduated last spring and was planning to play his fifth season as a grad student. Does he want to continue that path for another year or is he ready to get on with his life? Not 100 percent sure, but my understanding is that Braxton was going to graduate after this semester. He has a similar decision to make.

If one or both decides that he wants to come back, THEN Duke will apply to the NCAA for a hardship waiver. It seems to be fairly cut and dried -- both have missed previous seasons with injuries (both sat out 2012). If they apply, they SHOULD win the appeal.

But before the process even starts, each of the two players has to decide whether or not he wants to return for a sixth year.

richardjackson199
11-02-2014, 10:18 PM
This may have been answered long ago (or not yet), but will next year's team have Jela Duncan back? He is another fun, powerful back who would fit right in.

Newton_14
11-02-2014, 10:53 PM
This may have been answered long ago (or not yet), but will next year's team have Jela Duncan back? He is another fun, powerful back who would fit right in.
All accounts I have read indicate Jela plans to be back. If I recall correctly he is to re-enroll in January and be ready for Spring ball. I think he is currently a roommate of one of this year's players?

budwom
11-03-2014, 09:28 AM
I read on another board someone hearing that Kelby was leaning towards coming back. I can't imagine doing that myself (after two tough injuries) but it would be
great for our defense.

allenmurray
11-03-2014, 09:42 AM
I read on another board someone hearing that Kelby was leaning towards coming back. I can't imagine doing that myself (after two tough injuries) but it would be
great for our defense.

I believe that Kelby is in his second year of a three-year graduate program (Divinity School). I could see that either encouraging him to come back (sure would be nice to have that third year paid for) or discouraging him due to the time commitment. In either event what a great representative of our football program.

devildeac
11-03-2014, 09:52 AM
great for our defense.

I believe that Kelby is in his second year of a three-year graduate program (Divinity School). I could see that either encouraging him to come back (sure would be nice to have that third year paid for) or discouraging him due to the time commitment. In either event what a great representative of our football program.

Some distant memory and solitary neuron reminds me this is his 3rd serious injury, one of which occurred in high school. I'd love to see him return if he's physically and psychologically/emotionally ready for that.

CDu
11-03-2014, 01:35 PM
Some distant memory and solitary neuron reminds me this is his 3rd serious injury, one of which occurred in high school. I'd love to see him return if he's physically and psychologically/emotionally ready for that.

Brown has suffered 3 ACL tears - all at Duke. One in November of 2010, one in February 2012, and then again this year. Both of his previous ACL injuries where to his right knee.

Since all of his missed time has come as a result of injury, I think he'd have a strong case for a medical hardship if he so desired. But as you note, he may or may not want to go through it for a 6th year.

JasonEvans
11-10-2014, 03:18 PM
According to the official Duke football twitter feed (https://twitter.com/Duke_FB/status/531901937139347456)... we can remove the "?" from the title to this thread!!!

Brown and Deaver have both been granted NCAA exemptions and can return next season. HUGE!!!!

-Jason "it is really, really, really good to be Duke football right about now!" Evans

Dev11
11-10-2014, 03:20 PM
According to the official Duke football twitter feed (https://twitter.com/Duke_FB/status/531901937139347456)... we can remove the "?" from the title to this thread!!!

Brown and Deaver have both been granted NCAA exemptions and can return next season. HUGE!!!!

-Jason "it is really, really, really good to be Duke football right about now!" Evans

Great news! Let's hope they're healthy all next fall and winter.

Bob Green
11-10-2014, 03:31 PM

This is potentially great news! Now we have to wait and see if they desire to come back. They were both impact players pre-injury, but both have incurred multiple injuries which can take a toll. Hopefully they return and prove they are still impact players.

Olympic Fan
11-10-2014, 03:58 PM
This is potentially great news! Now we have to wait and see if they desire to come back. They were both impact players pre-injury, but both have incurred multiple injuries which can take a toll. Hopefully they return and prove they are still impact players.

The release from Duke includes quotes from both players indicating that they WILL return next season.

Interestingly, both players said their first inclination were NOT to come back. But Braxton said:

“I was pretty unsure about (the decision) when I got injured,” Deaver said. “Mentally and emotionally, I wasn’t really there; it was something I really had to think about. As I started to recover, I became more clear-headed about the whole situation, and after looking at my options, it was a no-brainer. I’ll be starting graduate school in the spring, and what better way to get healthy – physically, mentally and emotionally – than with my family. This place has had the biggest influence on who I am.”

Kelby's response:

"I took a couple of weeks, probably a month, for some time to heal,” said Brown, who reached the decision when travelling back to school from Charlotte following Duke’s open date the weekend of October 4. “My inclination was to not play again. I spent a lot of time with Braxton and we helped each other through the process. Coach Cutcliffe was amazing throughout the entire time; he helped me find joy in the decision. He didn’t pressure me either way. He just gave me practical advice. It is the right decision.”

So add Kelby Brown, Braxton Deaver -- and Jela Duncan, who has also said he will return -- to next year's recruiting class.

It's going to be sweet!

PS We are going to be absolutely loaded at TE -- Deaver returning, Reeves returning, young guys Schneider, Kopenhaver and Bielinson returning ... plus four-star recruit Tyler Petite (a guy so good that Southern Cal is STILL tying to steal him from us).

aswewere
11-10-2014, 04:05 PM
Go Duke http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209759894&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Wander
11-10-2014, 04:09 PM
Awesome. Northwestern is at home next year, and our non-Wake Atlantic opponent is Boston College, so we should be able to rack up a lot of wins again next season (in 2016 and beyond, the schedule looks like it will get much stronger, and hopefully we'll be ready to take advantage of that and compete more seriously for playoff slots).

uh_no
11-10-2014, 04:10 PM
good for them!!!! glad to have them back.

the big question now, for next year, is at QB...where we will have very little passing experience.

at least on the renfree->boone handoff, boone had had several opportunities, including major minutes in some games (did he start against army that day? i forget)

we have sirk in red zone, but very little in experience running the offsense...

pierre has a lot of accolades coming out of college, but boehme is also very strong, and obviously sirk has experience

so i imagine it will be a 3 way battle among those three

/thread hijack

roywhite
11-10-2014, 04:14 PM

the big question now, for next year, is at QB...where we will have very little passing experience.

at least on the renfree->boone handoff, boone had had several opportunities, including major minutes in some games (did he start against army that day? i forget)

pierre has a lot of accolades coming out of college, but boehme is also very strong, and obviously sirk has experience

/thread hijack

Good points, but IMO the biggest loss for next year is Jamison Crowder; he has been such a playmaker, and has pretty unique physical skills (acceleration, cutting ability, speed) that will be hard to replace.

Need some young receivers to step forward.

DukieInKansas
11-10-2014, 04:15 PM
This is great news! It makes me very happy that the Duke experience and continued educational opportunities are such that they want to come back. It speaks well of the program and what has been and will be accomplished. Let's Go, Duke!

TKG
11-10-2014, 04:16 PM

/thread hijack

Spring ball could be very interesting.....

devildeac
11-10-2014, 04:21 PM
Good points, but IMO the biggest loss for next year is Jamison Crowder; he has been such a playmaker, and has pretty unique physical skills (acceleration, cutting ability, speed) that will be hard to replace.

Maybe Trevon Lee? Among others, of course.;)

OldPhiKap
11-10-2014, 04:26 PM
Great news about two great foundations of the Duke resurgence. Welcome back!

CDu
11-10-2014, 04:41 PM

Losing Blakeney from this year's squad will hurt too. But I suspect Cutcliffe will figure it out. With our wealth of RB and a good running QB, maybe we become a read option factory next year?

budwom
11-10-2014, 05:10 PM
I found the quotes from both guys (thanks, Olympic) quite moving, actually. How impressive that our guys think so highly of their program and their coach....as opposed, let's say,
to kids at some school who want to know what non-existent classes they might take next semester in order to remain eligible.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-10-2014, 05:14 PM
Regarding the questions about who starts at QB and some similar questions, I don't remember who deserves the credit for this statement, but it certainly is true for football.

You can't have too much depth.

Newton_14
11-10-2014, 09:48 PM
Great news! This is awesome. Can't wait to see Kelby lay some heavy hits again next season! Welcome back Braxton and Kelby!

gep
11-10-2014, 11:53 PM
A big part of their decisions appear to be the culture that Coach Cut has instilled. Coach Cut is truly the breath of fresh air that Duke football so desperately needed. GO DUKE!!!!

p.s. imagine a *graduate* student at Duke playing football... as one if its top players:cool: No bogus stuff here...

Reilly
11-11-2014, 07:44 AM
... I don't remember who deserves the credit for this statement, but it certainly is true for football.

You can't have too much depth.

Former Orioles manager Earl Weaver used to talk about having "deep depth" which, as this article notes, offers more truth than redundancy.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1350&dat=19790723&id=RigxAAAAIBAJ&sjid=iwIEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6915,8455712