PDA

View Full Version : The ACC: Week 9

Bob Green
10-23-2014, 06:41 PM
Week 9 kicks off tonight when Miami travels to Blacksburg to take on Virginia Tech. Miami is a slight favorite (-2.5), but VT has been pretty good on Thursday night even though they lost last week at Pittsburgh. VT has a bad case of the injury bug this year with the latest victim being DT Luther Maddy who is out for the season with a knee injury. I'm looking for a Miami victory tonight. The 'Canes will have their hands full when they host Florida State later in the season so Duke fans can pull for Miami to incur their third conference loss then.

On to Saturday:

North Carolina at Virginia - the last thing Duke fans desire to see is North Carolina building momentum off their victory over Georgia Tech so Go Wahoos!

Georgia Tech at Pittsburgh - the Yellow Jackets already have two confernece losses and we beat them head to head, so Duke fans should be pulling for GT to hand Pitt a second conference loss.

Syracuse at Clemson - an Orange upset would put Duke ahead of Clemson in the ACC pecking order. With DeShaun Watson out, Syracuse winning isn't an impossible outcome.

Boston College at Wake Forest - Wake is pitiful...enough said.

C'mon DBR, let's talk some football!

uh_no
10-23-2014, 07:08 PM
My analyses reached the same conclusions. Here's what i said at the end of last week (DEFINITELY citing this to avoid self plagiarism :P )

source: http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?34361-The-ACC-Week-8&p=749639#post749639

So, the games this week and who might we want to win while we're enjoying sipping mimosas on an off week?

Miami vs VT:
I actually think the pick has to be miami. If miami wins, they'll finish with 3 losses at best (FSU), and that puts VT at 3 losses as well...giving us a 2 game buffer over either. If VT wins, it puts miami out of contention, but means that we're are in BIG trouble if we lose to VT...putting us each at two divisional losses...we'd need another team to get in the tiebreaker to help us out.

UNC vs UVA:
I think the pick is UVA, for similar justification of above. If UVA wins, we have a 2 game buffer over UNC, as well as an effective 2 game buffer over UVA (FSU + tiebreak). If UNC wins, it puts UVA effectively out of contention (3 losses, tiebreak issues), as well as makes UNC very dangerous to lose to....putting them at 6-2 with only a SINGLE divisional loss. There is no situation in which we win a 6-2 tiebreak involving UNC.

Pitt vs GT:
Gotta be GT. If GT wins, pitt has 2 losses, and if we lose to pitt, we can end up in a 6-2 trio with GT and Pitt, all at 1-1 in among tied teams, and 4-2 against the division. It would come to record against 5-3 teams, which might include virgina or miami and could go a number of ways. If pitt wins, and we lose to pitt, pitt must lose 2 of their last 3....

loran16
10-23-2014, 10:39 PM
Excellent result for us with Miami walloping VPISU right now - That puts VT at 3 losses, while Miami has 2 already and faces FSU later (so almost certainly will pick up a third).

This increases the chance a 6-2 Duke can take the division again.

Now we could use GT over Pitt (GT plays Clemson to get loss #3, if Duke beats Pitt it practically eliminates them or if they lose, Pitt still has to be perfect). Also could use UVA over UNC, since UVA also plays FSU and GT on the road in the next two weeks.

Bob Green
10-24-2014, 05:02 AM
Virginia Tech was not impressive for the second consecutive Thursday night (I went to bed at halftime). Miami's commitment to running the ball opened up play action pass plays. The touchdown pass to Duke Johnson with time ticking down at the end of the half was great execution of a gutsy call. If Johnson was tackled short of the end zone, there would have been about three seconds on the clock so Miami would have struggled to spike the ball before time expired as they had no timeouts remaining.

Wander
10-24-2014, 09:33 AM
I would not count FSU@Miami or Clemson@Georgia Tech as sure-fire losses for the home teams.

MCFinARL
10-24-2014, 09:43 AM
So, question for people who know more about football scheduling than I do (possibly everyone): is it unusual for a team like Duke to have two open dates in October? It seems a little odd. Does the Duke schedule start earlier than most or run later?

uh_no
10-24-2014, 09:52 AM
I would not count FSU@Miami or Clemson@Georgia Tech as sure-fire losses for the home teams.

ehhhh...i think miami has looked good beating up on a very bat VT team. they didn't look particularly good against us, despite the resounding victory and us playing terribly. FSU, while maybe not as good as last year is still head and shoulders above the rest of the conference and should win without much trouble.

DukeSean
10-24-2014, 09:54 AM
A bit OT, but after watching that Miami@VT game plus the result from their game with UCONN, ECU does not look like it should be ranked.

Olympic Fan
10-24-2014, 02:12 PM
Amazing how far Virginia Tech has fallen. Can you believe that THIS VPI team went to Columbus and beat Ohio State?

What does that say about the Buckeyes?

And I agree with DukeSean, East Carolina's resume is getting worse by the minute. Not only are they scraping by against some very weak teams (SMU, UConn), but their "signature" opponents are slumping badly. The wins over Virginia Tech and UNC doesn't look all that impressive at the moment - and the loss to South Carolina looks far worse than it did when it happened.

Last night's game indicates how volatile the Coastal Division is. I think it worked out okay for us -- VPI is probably out of the race with three losses, while Miami ought to get its third against FSU (although if Winston is out by then, Miami is good enough to win).

Pulling for Georgia Tech to hand Pitt a second loss and for Virginia to knock UNC out of the race.

Also hoping that Syracuse can pull the big upset in Death Valley (it would really help our slim chances for the Orange), but I don't expect it

sagegrouse
10-24-2014, 02:45 PM
Amazing how far Virginia Tech has fallen. Can you believe that THIS VPI team went to Columbus and beat Ohio State?

All the same, we need to get some quality minutes for Thomas Sirk or Parker Boehme. If Frank Beamer thinks we only have one serviceable quarterback, he will send his goons after Anthony Boone big time.

OldPhiKap
10-24-2014, 02:48 PM
All the same, we need to get some quality minutes for Thomas Sirk or Parker Boehme. If Frank Beamer thinks we only have one serviceable quarterback, he will send his goons after Anthony Boone big time.

Excellent point, although the goons are coming regardless.

Bob Green
10-25-2014, 01:00 PM
A nice start in Charlottesville: Virginia 14, Carolina 0. Carolina run defense is a sieve.

OldPhiKap
10-25-2014, 01:04 PM
A nice start in Charlottesville: Virginia 14, Carolina 0. Carolina run defense is a sieve.

Carolina's defense is like many of their classes: it only exists on paper.

Dev11
10-25-2014, 01:08 PM
Watching a commercial about UNC, the university 'of the people' or whatever they call it, is hilarious.

Marquis Williams is big fellow. Let's hope UVA doesn't keep letting him bust through the line like he just did. Wahoowa!

Bob Green
10-25-2014, 01:12 PM
Carolina's offense is explosive. All tied at 14.

uh_no
10-25-2014, 01:15 PM

UNC likes their defense how they like their classes: they only exist on paper
UNC likes their defense how they like their classes: no show
UNC likes their defense how they like their classes: you give them whatever they want
UNC likes their defense how they like their classes: easy to beat

OldPhiKap
10-25-2014, 02:30 PM
UNC likes their defense how they like their classes: you give them whatever they want

Very sporkable effort! Like with many, the last few days exhausted my spork ability at present.

I believe that their offense will test our defense, unfortunately.

OldPhiKap
10-25-2014, 03:58 PM
Wow. UVa with a really bad finish -- just gave the game to the Heels.

Bob Green
10-25-2014, 04:01 PM
An absolutely horrible last 7:30 minutes by Virginia. Turnovers and penalties were the difference.

uh_no
10-25-2014, 04:02 PM

the coastal race could very well come down to the duke/unc game

OZ
10-25-2014, 04:04 PM
A couple of questionable defensive pass interference calls and a TOTAL Virginia meltdown.

Mabdul Doobakus
10-25-2014, 04:16 PM
Pittsburgh has an impossible 5 lost fumbles only 9 minutes into their game.

budwom
10-25-2014, 04:21 PM
Now you can see why Mike London has great recruiting classes at VA but mediocre results. He's a nitwit.

Meanwhile, I'm not sure it's good for us that Pitt is being so humiliated. A Pitt loss would've been fine, but they
are embarrassing themselves and will probably be looking to redeem themselves next week. Down 28 less than five minutes into the game? Ouch...

Meanwhile Merlin had a nice visit to Wisconsin.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-25-2014, 04:28 PM
This is a pattern repeated so often that UVA fans have come to expect it. Meanwhile, Mississippi State is currently playing a much too imprecise game against a Kentucky team showing remarkable focus and defense.

devildeac
10-25-2014, 04:37 PM

I thought we learned our lesson in basketball games and we weren't going to do this until the game clock was at 0:00:mad:.

uh_no
10-25-2014, 04:49 PM
As GT is up 28-0 in the first quarter with the ball, that one might be over.....so what does this all mean?

virginia has added themselves to the list of teams "effectively eliminated" along with miami and virginia tech, who have or will have 3 losses after they play FSU (knock on wood...).

That leaves Duke (2-1, 2-1), Pitt (2-2, 1-2), UNC (2-2, 2-1), and GT (3-2, 3-2)

So So So.

Point #1:
Duke and UNC each control their own destinies. VT was the only thing in UNC's way last week...and they lost this week. If both unc and duke finish 6-2, UNC wins both by virtue of the head to head win as well as a 5-1 division record

Point #1.5:
In an interesting twist, despite the loss, Pitt can force a tie for the division. If they win out, Duke and GT would each be 6-2, 4-2. It would come down to the 5-3 teams, which could not be UNC (losses to duke and pitt), nor miami (losses to FSU and pitt) nor VT (loss to duke) nor UVA (loss to GT)....so it would come down to 4-4 teams....which could be pretty much anyone...

Point #2:
if we lose to cuse or wake or VT, and finish 6-2, we'd win the division, holding the tiebreaker over any other 2 loss team (pitt, UNC, GT)

Point #3:
if we lose to UNC, we have to hope UNC amasses another loss somewhere, as we'd both be 6-2, with a UNC tiebreak

Point #4:
if we lose to pitt, we have to hope pitt has another loss somewhere, as we'd both be 6-2, or we could hope GT was also at 6-2, in which case it would come down to record against the 5-3 teams...of which there would be none....so the 4-4 teams, as explained in 1.5

Point #5:
we want miami to beat UNC...at which point we could sustain a loss to UNC and still win the division

Point #6:
the uva GT game is actually a real doozie to pick. on the one hand, a UVA win effectively ensures both teams finish with 3 losses, both of which we have the tiebreaker over. on the other hand, if we end up in the tie with Pitt at 6-2, we'd lose the tiebreaker UNLESS another team was involved whom we had beaten and pitt had lost to...the only viable candidate is GT. Fortunately our game is before hand. If we beat pitt, cheer for UVA. If we lose to pitt, cheer for GT.

those mimosas were delicious. beat pitt.

Bob Green
10-25-2014, 04:51 PM
As GT is up 28-0 in the first quarter with the ball, that one might be over......

Not so quick, it is 28-14 now so this one is far from over.

uh_no
10-25-2014, 04:54 PM
Not so quick, it is 28-14 now so this one is far from over.

i already spoiled 1 game today...might as well go 2-2....but you're right...pitt has certainy settled down. will reevaluate if pitt wins!

uh_no
10-25-2014, 06:45 PM
i already spoiled 1 game today...might as well go 2-2....but you're right...pitt has certainy settled down. will reevaluate if pitt wins!

the ruling on the field stands. GT win.

Bob Green
10-25-2014, 09:08 PM
Syracuse 6, Clemson 3 in the first few minutes of the 3rd quarter. I'm watching Ole Miss, LSU but just switched the game over at halftime.

Olympic Fan
10-26-2014, 02:25 AM
Mathematically, the Coastal Race is in the air, but after this week, I think we are in GREAT shape.

Obviously, if we win out, we win the division at 7-1 -- no debate, no challenger.

But I also think we're home free at 6-2.

Virginia Tech already has three ACC losses, so they can't finish 6-2.
Virginia has two losses, but they play FSU ... pretty safe they don't finish 6-2
Miami has two losses, but they also play FSU ... pretty safe they don't finish 6-2
Georgia Tech has two losses, but they play Clemson -- the game DeShaun Watson returns ... I think it's likely they don't finish 6-2
UNC has two losses and they play at Miami next week ... it's possible, but I think it's likely they lose their third ACC game
Pitt has two ACC losses and they finish up at Miami ... I think they lose a third ACC game.

I know it's not certain, but I think the odds are good that we win the division outright at 6-2 ... and win a share of the title (but probably lose a tiebreaker for the title game) at 5-3.

PS Clemson is terrible on offense with Cole Stoudt at QB. But for the second straight week, they dodged a bullet against a mediocre team. But they get Wake Forest next week, then they get Watson back and become a power again. It's going to be awfully tough to beat them out for the Orange Bow.

brevity
10-26-2014, 03:23 AM
With no game thread this week, this is probably the best place to discuss Duke's potential Top 25 ranking.

USC (AP #20, USA #21) and Minnesota (USA #24) were the only ranked teams (besides #3 Ole Miss) to lose over the weekend. This creates one opening in the AP poll and two openings in the USA Today poll.

I would expect that UCLA, which is already ranked by AP, will be added to the USA Today poll. They won another close road game and they help keep the Pac-12 narrative alive and well. So there's really only one opening in either poll.

I think Duke backs into it -- with a bye week, it's a passive climb into the poll. There's not much competition. Illinois is the only unranked team to upset a ranked team this weekend, and they're 4-4. Here are the teams receiving votes in both polls last week:

25/28. UCLA (won)
26/27. Duke (bye)
27/26. Oklahoma State (lost)
28/24. Minnesota (lost)
29/30. Colorado State (won)
31/29. Missouri (won)
32/33. Stanford (won)

It looks like the only way Duke isn't ranked is if Colorado State (7-1) leapfrogs them, or if both polls decide to keep USC (5-3) ranked. Wisconsin (5-2) is a longshot; they beat Maryland 52-7, which I thought was worth mentioning.

OldPhiKap
10-26-2014, 08:06 AM
With no game thread this week, this is probably the best place to discuss Duke's potential Top 25 ranking.

USC (AP #20, USA #21) and Minnesota (USA #24) were the only ranked teams (besides #3 Ole Miss) to lose over the weekend. This creates one opening in the AP poll and two openings in the USA Today poll.

I would expect that UCLA, which is already ranked by AP, will be added to the USA Today poll. They won another close road game and they help keep the Pac-12 narrative alive and well. So there's really only one opening in either poll.

I think Duke backs into it -- with a bye week, it's a passive climb into the poll. There's not much competition. Illinois is the only unranked team to upset a ranked team this weekend, and they're 4-4. Here are the teams receiving votes in both polls last week:

25/28. UCLA (won)
26/27. Duke (bye)
27/26. Oklahoma State (lost)
28/24. Minnesota (lost)
29/30. Colorado State (won)
31/29. Missouri (won)
32/33. Stanford (won)

It looks like the only way Duke isn't ranked is if Colorado State (7-1) leapfrogs them, or if both polls decide to keep USC (5-3) ranked. Wisconsin (5-2) is a longshot; they beat Maryland 52-7, which I thought was worth mentioning.

Excellent analysis, thanks for putting this together.

I guess Mizzou could potentially leapfrog us too although I would be surprised.

Md got spanked in Wisconsin? Well, I hope they enjoy the check they'll get for being a punching bag on the frozen tundra.

uh_no
10-26-2014, 08:52 AM
Mathematically, the Coastal Race is in the air, but after this week, I think we are in GREAT shape.

Obviously, if we win out, we win the division at 7-1 -- no debate, no challenger.

But I also think we're home free at 6-2.

Virginia Tech already has three ACC losses, so they can't finish 6-2.
Virginia has two losses, but they play FSU ... pretty safe they don't finish 6-2
Miami has two losses, but they also play FSU ... pretty safe they don't finish 6-2
Georgia Tech has two losses, but they play Clemson -- the game DeShaun Watson returns ... I think it's likely they don't finish 6-2
UNC has two losses and they play at Miami next week ... it's possible, but I think it's likely they lose their third ACC game
Pitt has two ACC losses and they finish up at Miami ... I think they lose a third ACC game.

I know it's not certain, but I think the odds are good that we win the division outright at 6-2 ... and win a share of the title (but probably lose a tiebreaker for the title game) at 5-3.

PS Clemson is terrible on offense with Cole Stoudt at QB. But for the second straight week, they dodged a bullet against a mediocre team. But they get Wake Forest next week, then they get Watson back and become a power again. It's going to be awfully tough to beat them out for the Orange Bow.

Here is the breakdown for a 6-2 finish...if we lose to pitt or UNC, we need help. So essentially you're right. I won't count out pitt or UNC until they actually lose though.

Point #2:
if we lose to cuse or wake or VT, and finish 6-2, we'd win the division, holding the tiebreaker over any other 2 loss team (pitt, UNC, GT)

Point #3:
if we lose to UNC, we have to hope UNC amasses another loss somewhere, as we'd both be 6-2, with a UNC tiebreak

Point #4:
if we lose to pitt, we have to hope pitt has another loss somewhere, as we'd both be 6-2, or we could hope GT was also at 6-2, in which case it would come down to record against the 5-3 teams...of which there would be none....so the 4-4 teams, as explained in 1.5

Olympic Fan
10-26-2014, 12:40 PM
My point is that if we finish 6-2, I believe we win the division outright ... for the reasons I listed above.

Obviously, if we lose a game, we need help -- but I am convinced we get it. I think if you look at the schedules, it's clear that nobody else in the division finishes better than 5-3. In understand that's not a lock -- heck, this time I year ago, who thought 1-2 Duke would win out?

uh_no
10-26-2014, 12:56 PM
My point is that if we finish 6-2, I believe we win the division outright ... for the reasons I listed above.

Obviously, if we lose a game, we need help -- but I am convinced we get it. I think if you look at the schedules, it's clear that nobody else in the division finishes better than 5-3. In understand that's not a lock -- heck, this time I year ago, who thought 1-2 Duke would win out?

I think UNC is the biggest threat left. they looked particularly good after a slow start against UVA. I wouldn't mind going into the UNC with UNC having an extra loss.

Olympic Fan
10-26-2014, 01:06 PM
I think UNC is the biggest threat left. they looked particularly good after a slow start against UVA. I wouldn't mind going into the UNC with UNC having an extra loss.

See how UNC looks after their trip to Miami next week.

I'd almost (ALMOST!) prefer to beat UNC-cheat than win the Coastal. But if they lose to the 'Canes, we might not have to.

CameronBornAndBred
10-26-2014, 01:14 PM
We are ranked 24th in the coaches poll. :D (Haven't seen the new AP yet.)

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/rankings

Olympic Fan
10-26-2014, 01:14 PM
Sorry to double post, but new coaches poll is out --

Duke comes in at No. 24 ... not only did we jump Southern Cal, which lost, we also jumped UCLA, which won in double overtime at Colorado.

uh_no
10-26-2014, 01:17 PM
See how UNC looks after their trip to Miami next week.

I'd almost (ALMOST!) prefer to beat UNC-cheat than win the Coastal. But if they lose to the 'Canes, we might not have to.

if we beat bitt and miami beats UNC, (assuming FSU beats UVA and miami) we win the division at 6-2.

CameronBornAndBred
10-26-2014, 01:31 PM
Still 26th in AP. :( (10 votes out)

Bob Green
10-26-2014, 01:37 PM
No real surprise here, but it appears Mike London's hot seat is getting hotter:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/sports/college/acc/woody-virginia-s-costly-loss-could-cost-london-his-job/article_d04a80ed-34a3-5457-80c4-11c0bfaf9792.html

Check out the Poll that accompanies the article:

Question: When the college football season began, University of Virginia coach Mike London was widely regarded as a man whose job was in jeopardy. Has the Cavaliers' performance thus far been sufficient to extend London's tenure in Charlottesville?

74 percent of responders have voted "No."

devildeac
10-26-2014, 01:43 PM
No real surprise here, but it appears Mike London's hot seat is getting hotter:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/sports/college/acc/woody-virginia-s-costly-loss-could-cost-london-his-job/article_d04a80ed-34a3-5457-80c4-11c0bfaf9792.html

Check out the Poll that accompanies the article:

74 percent of responders have voted "No."

Damn shame he and his players couldn't beat the unc-CHeaters yesterday:(.

OldPhiKap
10-26-2014, 01:47 PM
Damn shame he and his players couldn't beat the unc-CHeaters yesterday:(.

UVa had that game won with 7 1/2 to go. Crazy stupid interception to a rushing defensive lineman (?!?), give up an onside kick; crazy penalty on defense at the end. Really lousy, I am sure there are a lot of sour mouths today.

CameronBornAndBred
10-26-2014, 01:53 PM
UVa had that game won with 7 1/2 to go. Crazy stupid interception to a rushing defensive lineman (?!?), give up an onside kick; crazy penalty on defense at the end. Really lousy, I am sure there are a lot of sour mouths today.
Horrid coaching by London. He should have taken the penalty. Then the illegal substitution. He started off great and finally looked like he was pulling it together with the talent he has been recruiting. Yesterday proved that he is excellent at getting in the way of his own success. Another name that has to be on the hot seat? Frank Beamer. He is going to be encouraged to retire very soon; that Miami game was pitiful to watch.

Bob Green
10-26-2014, 02:10 PM
Still 26th in AP. :( (10 votes out)

Link? The AP Poll at ESPN has not been updated yet as it still shows Ole Miss 7-0 at #3.

OldPhiKap
10-26-2014, 02:13 PM
Horrid coaching by London. He should have taken the penalty. Then the illegal substitution. He started off great and finally looked like he was pulling it together with the talent he has been recruiting. Yesterday proved that he is excellent at getting in the way of his own success. Another name that has to be on the hot seat? Frank Beamer. He is going to be encouraged to retire very soon; that Miami game was pitiful to watch.

Forgot about the penalty, I guess his thinking was that he couldn't let UNC run another 40 seconds off the clock. But UnC was never going for the FG anyway, the way they struggle with them.

Good call re: Beamer. vT is a shadow of what they were, and that game was an absolute beat down. Of course, I did not see their game at tOSU so who knows.

uh_no
10-26-2014, 02:15 PM
we're 24 in both polls:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/10/26/7071985/college-football-rankings-mississippi-state-fsu-alabama

CameronBornAndBred
10-26-2014, 02:56 PM
Link? The AP Poll at ESPN has not been updated yet as it still shows Ole Miss 7-0 at #3.

we're 24 in both polls:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/10/26/7071985/college-football-rankings-mississippi-state-fsu-alabama
Awesome. And bizarre. The CBS page I linked in my earlier post had changed, but had not shown Duke; it still showed us with 10 points out of being in. But it also had moved Ole Miss down to where they are now. Oh well, happy to see us in both!

uh_no
10-26-2014, 03:00 PM
Awesome. And bizarre. The CBS page I linked in my earlier post had changed, but had not shown Duke; it still showed us with 10 points out of being in. But it also had moved Ole Miss down to where they are now. Oh well, happy to see us in both!

refresh...it's working now.

OldPhiKap
10-26-2014, 04:04 PM
Is 24 where we finished last season?

OldPhiKap
10-26-2014, 04:33 PM
Is 24 where we finished last season?

Answered my own question, we finished 22/23.

Interesting note, before that the last time we finished the season ranked was #14 in 1962:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209361583

Something to shoot for, just sayin'

Bob Green
10-26-2014, 04:46 PM
Something to shoot for, just sayin'

Yep, I'm hearing you. I think lots of folks are hearing you. This week's game at Pitt is a big one. Win and watch out!

ice-9
10-26-2014, 11:38 PM
Someone shared this already on this thread and I'm echoing that opinion: I'm surprised ECU is ranked so high.

They've only beaten two teams of note -- UNC and Virginia Tech -- and lost to the only other good team they played in South Carolina. As the season has shown, UNC and VPI aren't that great. Of course, ECU's loss is better than our loss, but if we finish the season with Miami as our only loss, shouldn't we out rank ECU given our tougher schedule? It probably won't happen though, because human polls.

Olympic Fan
10-27-2014, 01:21 PM
Someone shared this already on this thread and I'm echoing that opinion: I'm surprised ECU is ranked so high.

They've only beaten two teams of note -- UNC and Virginia Tech -- and lost to the only other good team they played in South Carolina. As the season has shown, UNC and VPI aren't that great. Of course, ECU's loss is better than our loss, but if we finish the season with Miami as our only loss, shouldn't we out rank ECU given our tougher schedule? It probably won't happen though, because human polls.

Not enough to matter.

CBS rates 4-4 South Carolina now 41st and 5-3 Miami 43rd:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/rankings/cbs/128

The same poll rates our win over No. 42 Georgia Tech as the best win among the two teams. Their win over No. 51 Va Tech is almost the same as our win over No. 52 Virginia ... and their win over No. 58 UNC is the least impressive. All in all, the two records are currently very similar.

DukeSean
10-27-2014, 04:53 PM
Not enough to matter.

CBS rates 4-4 South Carolina now 41st and 5-3 Miami 43rd:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/rankings/cbs/128

The same poll rates our win over No. 42 Georgia Tech as the best win among the two teams. Their win over No. 51 Va Tech is almost the same as our win over No. 52 Virginia ... and their win over No. 58 UNC is the least impressive. All in all, the two records are currently very similar.

What got ECU into the polls was that 70-point effort against UNC. When you drop 70 against a P5 team, that raises eyebrows anywhere. And as we have seen with the polls, once you get in you tend to stay in or rise unless you lose. Since they got in before we did, they're ranked a few spots ahead of us despite having an arguably weaker record. To me, having that kind of game against UConn should have knocked them out. But we'll see tomorrow what the real poll says

roywhite
10-27-2014, 06:00 PM
The Tallahassee Police Department is investigating an alleged domestic assault involving Florida State running back Karlos Williams, the agency said in a news release issued Monday.

ESPN report (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11774172/florida-state-seminoles-running-back-karlos-williams-being-investigated-alleged-domestic-assault)

More Jimbo talk:

On Friday, Seminoles coach Jimbo Fisher denied a report by a radio station in Jacksonville, Florida, that Williams would be suspended from the team. At the time, Fisher called it "another false report."

"There's another false report, and that's amazing how things happen," Fisher told reporters. "Whoever has sources, whoever has rumors, needs to check who they are talking to -- because that is about as far from truth as there is."

Fisher also said: "It's funny. That guy, who's a tremendous kid, a tremendous ambassador, I don't even know where that [suspension report] would come from. It kind of caught me off guard like 'Whoa.' Karlos has been wonderful."

devildeac
10-27-2014, 06:22 PM
The Tallahassee Police Department is investigating an alleged domestic assault involving Florida State running back Karlos Williams, the agency said in a news release issued Monday.

ESPN report (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11774172/florida-state-seminoles-running-back-karlos-williams-being-investigated-alleged-domestic-assault)

More Jimbo talk:

Wait. There has to be something grammatically incorrect in your introduction, roy. You used Tallahassee Police Department and investigating in the same sentence:rolleyes::o.

OldPhiKap
10-27-2014, 06:24 PM
Wait. There has to be something grammatically incorrect in your introduction, roy. You used Tallahassee Police Department and investigating in the same sentence:rolleyes::o.

Yes, they hope to present to the grand jury by . . . Um . . . When's the championship game again?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-27-2014, 07:03 PM
ESPN still has us listed with a handful of other teams as still in the hunt for the playoff. (http://espn.go.com/ncf/notebook/_/page/EliminatorWeek9/eliminator-college-football-week-9-victims-survivors) I don't expect us to be in it, barring cataclysmic landscape shifts, but can't ask for much better than that! We are in good company for the time being - Baylor, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Marshall, UCLA...

uh_no
10-27-2014, 08:35 PM
ESPN still has us listed with a handful of other teams as still in the hunt for the playoff. (http://espn.go.com/ncf/notebook/_/page/EliminatorWeek9/eliminator-college-football-week-9-victims-survivors) I don't expect us to be in it, barring cataclysmic landscape shifts, but can't ask for much better than that! We are in good company for the time being - Baylor, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Marshall, UCLA...

we're probably there until we lose, I'd think.

Acymetric
10-27-2014, 10:48 PM
Sorry to double post, but new coaches poll is out --

Duke comes in at No. 24 ... not only did we jump Southern Cal, which lost, we also jumped UCLA, which won in double overtime at Colorado.

I actually wondered if we had a shot to leapfrog UCLA given the double overtime nature of their "win".

Duvall
10-28-2014, 01:23 PM

More Jimbo talk:

The wheels of justice grind slowly in Tallahassee, if at all. (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11774172/florida-state-seminoles-running-back-karlos-williams-being-investigated-alleged-domestic-assault)

Meanwhile, the Florida State Attorney's office for the 2nd Judicial Circuit in Tallahassee last week attempted to interview Williams about a June 23 robbery of an FSU student. Williams declined to speak to an assistant state attorney and an investigator from the Tallahassee Police Department about the incident last week, state attorney Willie Meggs told ESPN.com.

On July 30, Tallahassee police arrested Daravius "Gutta" Lawrence, 17 at the time (and now 18), for his alleged role in a robbery of Freightlin Shooter Cox, a 26-year-old FSU senior and retired Marine. Cox told Tallahassee police that he was robbed by three men while purchasing marijuana at his home near FSU's Doak Campbell Stadium. But that purchase went awry, Cox told police, and he was robbed by two armed men.

Williams was listed as an "associate" of Lawrence on the initial TPD report, and TPD spokesman David Northway told ESPN.com that a police investigator attempted to interview him in late June.

"At that time, Mr. Williams agreed to come in for an interview on Monday of the next week [June 30]," Northway said. "He did not show up for the interview. The investigator did try to reach him, and [Williams' girlfriend] told the investigator that they had hired an attorney and would not be giving a statement."