PDA

View Full Version : OT Duke Fan Friendly Restaurants in Durham

Skeelow22
10-23-2014, 01:25 PM
I did an article on Top Restaurants for Duke Fans. If I left out a good restaurant, please comment in the article or here. Thanks!

http://dukereport.com/duke-basketball/top-durham-restaurants-duke-fans/fhodges/

Native
10-23-2014, 02:15 PM
Dain's Place on 9th is pretty good. Elmo's Diner is also excellent. Alivia's and Devine's are across the street from Satisfaction and are also great choices — Devines is more student-heavy than Alivia's, though.

uh_no
10-23-2014, 02:21 PM
Tylers Taproom...watched the white raven return game against miami there (among others)....they toss it up on a projector in the back room...was nuts.

ricks68
10-23-2014, 02:24 PM
I did an article on Top Restaurants for Duke Fans. If I left out a good restaurant, please comment in the article or here. Thanks!

http://dukereport.com/duke-basketball/top-durham-restaurants-duke-fans/fhodges/

Don't eat out much in Durham, do you?

Elmo's, Rue Cler, Pop's, Toast, Nana's, Foster's, Piedmont, Vin Rouge, Four Square, Parizade, Parker and Otis, Q Shack (not for me, however) ,Six Plates, The Nasher, Watt's Grocery, etc. And, I'm sure that there are so many, many more that the posters here can tell you about.

ricks

uh_no
10-23-2014, 02:25 PM
Don't eat out much in Durham, do you?

Elmo's, Rue Cler, Pop's, Toast, Nana's, Foster's, Piedmont, Vin Rouge, Four Square, Parizade, Parker and Otis, Q Shack (not for me, however) ,Six Plates, The Nasher, Watt's Grocery, etc. And, I'm sure that there are so many, many more that the posters here can tell you about.

ricks

Not sure I'd hit up Vin Rouge for a duke game though :)

ricks68
10-23-2014, 02:34 PM
Not sure I'd hit up Vin Rouge for a duke game though :)

Well, for being a Crustie that ventures out in Durham while in town for a game, it's the one restaurant that we always make sure to book before we come.:D (Can certainly understand how a lot of fans are unable to go to some of the restaurants on my list, however.)

ricks

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-23-2014, 02:38 PM
Well, for being a Crustie that ventures out in Durham while in town for a game, it's the one restaurant that we always make sure to book before we come.:D (Can certainly understand how a lot of fans are unable to go to some of the restaurants on my list, however.)

ricks
You have three more opportunities to make an appearance at a home football game.... or are you waiting for the bowl game?

Skeelow22
10-23-2014, 03:34 PM
Thanks for all the replies! Keep them coming! :D

ricks68
10-23-2014, 05:42 PM
You have three more opportunities to make an appearance at a home football game.... or are you waiting for the bowl game?

We have tickets for the Nov 15 game and hopefully will make it to the bowl game. I went to Atlanta last year, and it was all great except for the final score. We would have made it to another home game except for all the problems we have been having around here that precluded our ability to go. See you on the 15th.:)

ricks

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-23-2014, 05:50 PM
I must admit that the first time I saw the title of this thread I read OT as OL and wondered what fan friendly restaurants had to do with them!

Native
10-24-2014, 08:59 AM
Tylers Taproom...watched the white raven return game against miami there (among others)....they toss it up on a projector in the back room...was nuts.

Yeah, most Tyler's Taprooms do this, and it's sweet. They also have a Speakeasy around back — not sure if that's what you're talking about, uh_no, but they have billiards and other stuff back there as well.

Oh, and beer. Lots and lots of beer.

stillcrazie
10-24-2014, 09:13 AM
Charlie's has terrible food and an even worse atmosphere. The Cosmic Cantina is the bottom of the barrel for Mexican food. In addition to what others have said, I would recommend Bull McCabe's, Dame's Chicken and Waffles, The Pit BBQ, Geer Street Garden, Pizzeria Toro, The Federal...there are also a couple of really good tapas places on Main St.

DukeSean
10-24-2014, 10:31 AM
Charlie's has terrible food and an even worse atmosphere.

I thought Charlie's was closing for good soon....

aimo
10-24-2014, 11:00 AM
I thought Charlie's was closing for good soon....

They've been closing for good soon for the past year.

DukeSean
10-24-2014, 12:06 PM
They've been closing for good soon for the past year.

haha I guess closing for good soon is good for business

SharkD
10-24-2014, 09:19 PM
The Fed & The Joyce

Dain's Place on 9th is pretty good. Elmo's Diner is also excellent. Alivia's and Devine's are across the street from Satisfaction and are also great choices — Devines is more student-heavy than Alivia's, though.

+1 for all

Elmo's, Rue Cler, Pop's, Toast, Nana's, Foster's, Piedmont, Vin Rouge, Four Square, Parizade, Parker and Otis, Q Shack (not for me, however) ,Six Plates, The Nasher, Watt's [sic] Grocery, etc. And, I'm sure that there are so many, many more that the posters here can tell you about.

While all are good restaurants, not all of those are really 'fan friendly.'

The Cosmic Cantina is the bottom of the barrel for Mexican food.

Heresy.

DU82
10-24-2014, 09:48 PM
We're partial to Spartacus, over in the South Square area on the 15-501 Bus. service road in front of Target. Very pro Duke, good Greek food.

Native
10-25-2014, 06:00 AM
Heresy.

Agreed. Cosmic might be crappy Mexican food, but it's our crappy Mexican food, by God.

grad_devil
10-25-2014, 07:27 AM
Heresy.

Agreed. Cosmic might be crappy Mexican food, but it's our crappy Mexican food, by God.

Amen. Cosmic is the only place that's a must when I'm through Durham. I, and the other students in my grad program, used to swear that they laced those lovely burritos with some addictive substance.

stillcrazie
10-25-2014, 10:04 AM
Most of the good Mexican food in Durham is on Roxboro Road (also, La Vaquita near the Hardee's on 15-501). I love you guys for defending the Cosmic, but it really does suck. GO DUKE!!!

slower
10-25-2014, 12:35 PM
The Cosmic Cantina is the bottom of the barrel for Mexican food.

Not even close.

If you've ever eaten at one of the various locations of Torero's, El Rodeo, Monterrey and other "Speedy Gonzalez" types, Cosmic ain't even close to the bottom of the barrel.

Opinions are like...baskets of chips...everybody has one.

stillcrazie
10-25-2014, 01:27 PM
Not even close.

If you've ever eaten at one of the various locations of Torero's, El Rodeo, Monterrey and other "Speedy Gonzalez" types, Cosmic ain't even close to the bottom of the barrel.

Opinions are like...baskets of chips...everybody has one.

Agreed; those are horrible, too - they are all preparing "Mexican" food for gringos. Go to Don Becerra on Club and Roxboro and get yourself a huarache con carne asada or a torta cubana and then try to eat that Americanized crap again. If you don't speak any Spanish, just point to the picture of what you want. Then go around the corner to La Monarcha and get yourself a paleta (Mexican popsicle).

billy
10-25-2014, 01:34 PM
Agreed; those are horrible, too - they are all preparing "Mexican" food for gringos. Go to Don Becerra on Club and Roxboro and get yourself a huarache con carne asada or a torta cubana and then try to eat that Americanized crap again. If you don't speak any Spanish, just point to the picture of what you want. Then go around the corner to La Monarcha and get yourself a paleta (Mexican popsicle).

Haven't tried these; I'd like to throw Dos Perros in there as my favorite Mexican restaurant in Durham

slower
10-25-2014, 02:32 PM

I'll check them out. It was a sad day when Los Comales shut down.

stillcrazie
10-25-2014, 02:43 PM
I am still sad about Los Comales, too!

ChillinDuke
10-25-2014, 03:08 PM
Heresy.

Heresy is right.

I'm takin' names.

- Chillin

devildeac
10-25-2014, 04:19 PM
Click on Resources link above (next to Quick Links). Then click on DBR Visitors Bureau. Go to bottom of page and click on Google Maps. Hopefully you'll be delighted with what you find and devil84, -jk, Native and some "other" frequent poster will reward you with a million food points (or sporks) for viewing at all the hard work, well, some of the hard work :o that went into creating that helpful part of DBR for all current and future posters to discover, enjoy and grow to love;).