PDA

View Full Version : New vehicle advice needed

dairedevil
10-21-2014, 06:00 PM
My 2000 Maxima is having transmission issues, and it will cost $3500+ to repair. So, after 14 lovely years, it looks like it is time to get a new car. I am thinking small SUV, as I am the main transportation for my 88 year old mom, and her walker/wheelchair. The low bucket seats on the Maxima aren't the easiest to get out of for either of us. With all of the problems and recalls in the news, it is hard to know which way to go. I'm considering Honda CR-V, Subaru Forester or Outback, Mazda CX-5, Toyota Rav4, Nissan Rogue, etc. Budget is an issue, but I want the nicest, safest, and most reliable transportation I can afford. So far, I've only driven the Honda. It was okay, but not terribly exciting.

Anybody have suggestions or comments?

mattman91
10-21-2014, 06:24 PM
My 2000 Maxima is having transmission issues, and it will cost $3500+ to repair. So, after 14 lovely years, it looks like it is time to get a new car. I am thinking small SUV, as I am the main transportation for my 88 year old mom, and her walker/wheelchair. The low bucket seats on the Maxima aren't the easiest to get out of for either of us. With all of the problems and recalls in the news, it is hard to know which way to go. I'm considering Honda CR-V, Subaru Forester or Outback, Mazda CX-5, Toyota Rav4, Nissan Rogue, etc. Budget is an issue, but I want the nicest, safest, and most reliable transportation I can afford. So far, I've only driven the Honda. It was okay, but not terribly exciting.

I have a Chevy Trailblazer (named Wojo) that has been a great vehicle the last 5 years. A lot of people here in Asheville love their Subarus, so I would say it is definitely worth strongly considering..those things run forever.

DukieInKansas
10-21-2014, 06:55 PM
No suggestions on car but in 2009 when I was seeking advice, someone on DBR steered me toward truecar.com for pricing info. I found that helpful.

I was buying a new vehicle and am still mad I couldn't get the features I wanted in a standard transmission.

wilson
10-21-2014, 08:15 PM
I like this one (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamborghini_LM002).

Jim3k
10-21-2014, 08:26 PM
Toyota has about 8 SUV models (http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/browse/toyota+suvs/). (Link is to a US News listing) All have relatively high step-ins which an elderly person might find easier to access so long as she has decent mobility. Some might be too high. Good luck with these or any other brand.

OldPhiKap
10-21-2014, 08:48 PM

(Lil' Ms. OPK, at FSU v. ND)

wilson
10-21-2014, 08:56 PM
Some might be too high. Good luck with these or any other brand.
This one is pretty low. You should probably get this. 4389

FerryFor50
10-21-2014, 09:03 PM

You're unlikely to get anything exciting in an SUV on a budget.

My wife has a Rogue. We test drove the CX-5 and picked the Rogue over it. Rogue has the constant variance transmission (CVT) which never shifts. Pretty cool, but takes getting used to.

Her parents are in their late 70s/early 80s and can get in and out ok.

Her dad had a Kia Sorrento and that was actually a pretty nice SUV. And one of my friend has a Subaru which he likes.

I'd recommend getting a Consumer Reports subscription online and do a little reading up on it. And avoid getting a new car - always buy one that's a couple years old and under 30-50k miles if possible. Way more cost effective.

DU82
10-21-2014, 09:09 PM
My mother (and her friends at the assisted living facility), liked my 2010 RAV4 because it was much, much easier for her to get in and out of than my old Camry (not to mention my parents' Volvo S60.)

I just bought a 2014 (my nephew has the old one) that I find very comfortable, but I think the older one was better for in/out access. I concur with the others that none of them are going to be very exciting to drive.

JBDuke
10-21-2014, 09:50 PM
We just went through a car buying experience, with some of the same considerations you may be looking at. Here were our criteria:

1. Room for 4 adults. We have one teenager and one tween. The rear seats needed to be roomy enough to be comfortable on road trips for them.
2. Spacious driver/passenger positions. I'm pretty large - at least from side to side - so, I wanted to make sure I fit comfortably in both front seats.
3. Adaptable driving position. My wife is height-challenged. She wanted a driver's seat that allowed her to position herself so she could easily and comfortably reach the controls and see the corners of the car.
4. Room to carry stuff. We make Costco runs for paper goods....
5. We weren't real interested in luxury, but we didn't want a cheap interior, either.
6. We wanted relatively easy ingress/egress. No climbing up into a truck or big SUV. Preferably nothing slung low like a sports car.
7. All wheel drive. We don't need true 4 wheel drive, and I would have gone for just front-wheel drive, but my wife wanted the AWD option, and I wasn't going to argue.
8. Reasonably good fuel efficiency - close to 20 around town, mid to upper 20s on the highway.

We looked primarily at small-to-medium sized SUVs. We have no need for a third row, so we avoided 3 row models. The RAV4 we ruled out largely because the back seat wasn't comfortable for our kids, and it was a little tight for me. We looked at the CR-V, but we found even the top of the line model (EX-L with Nav, IIRC) to have a cheap feeling interior. (Honda models usually have a "Touring" package which adds niceties, but the CR-V doesn't have that option.) We ruled out the Kia Sportage, the Ford Escape and Edge and their Lincoln counterparts, the Subaru Outback, the VWs, the Volvos, and the Audis. We with 3 different options that we liked:

The Nissan Murano. Very spacious up front, pretty good in back. Nice to drive, but a little noisy. Nice options, too.
The Acura RDX. Acura's more upscale version of the Honda CR-V. Surprisingly roomy in the back, like the CR-V, but a little tight for me. Sportiest of the bunch to drive. We ruled it out because it requires premium gas, cost the most to purchase, and was going to be the most expensive to operate.
The Toyota Venza. Not a conventional SUV - more of a tall wagon, kind of like the Outback without the offroad pretensions. Amazing backseat space. Easiest to get in and out of - a lot like a minivan in that respect. Good space in the back. Huge space if you put the rear seats down. We liked the price and the option packages. So, the Venza ended up being our choice.

If you want to ask questions about our experience or any of the cars we checked out, feel free to shoot me a PM if you don't want to post here.

JNort
10-21-2014, 10:09 PM
Subaru Forester hands down! Family member has one and it is wonderful. Of course each person is different but I would reccomended it as the next car you physically go check out.

Tom B.
10-22-2014, 12:49 AM
We were looking for a small SUV back in 2010 and ended up going with the Subaru Forester, and we've really liked it. We also looked at the Toyota RAV-4, Honda CRV, and Ford Escape. We went with the Subaru mainly for "feel" reasons. I'm tall, so our car needed to have good head and leg room, which the Subaru does. The Subaru's center of gravity is a bit lower due to its engine design/orientation, and that plus the all-wheel drive gives you good sense of control. The only category where it came up a bit short of the other models we looked at was gas mileage, but the difference wasn't enough to sway us away from the Subaru.

The RAV-4 was our second choice. For what you're looking for, it might actually be better, as I think it's built a bit lower to the ground.

We were "meh" about the Escape -- neither loved it nor actively disliked it.

We were underwhelmed by the CRV. It felt underpowered, and the leg room left much to be desired.

Keep in mind this was all four years ago, so things could've changed since then.

gumbomoop
10-22-2014, 01:16 AM
Subaru Forester hands down!

Agree wholeheartedly.

And avoid getting a new car - always buy one that's a couple years old and under 30-50k miles if possible. Way more cost effective.

Agree mostly. More precisely, yes, recent used is the way to go. But on mileage, if only 2 years old, 50k would be too much. If 2, 25k pretty good; if 3, 35k; if 4, 45-50k.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-22-2014, 01:26 AM
I have a 2012 Subaru Outback. I bought it a couple of years ago when my old car was about to "give out" and I needed comfortable, dependable transportation that my then 92 yo mother could navigate getting into and out of safely...the seat is well designed and the seat height is just right. Seat heaters are wonderful for cold weather driving or relaxing the back after a work out at the gym.

Good gas mileage considering the size of the vehicle and all wheel drive. Cargo space is sufficient for me to transport 4 tables, 16 chairs, a tent and other items for tailgating. Screen for back up camera appears in the rear view mirror instead of down in the dash somewhere. Puddle lights are a great feature which lights the ground under the doors when one is getting into and out of the vehicle at night. Dual heat and AC system is efficient, comfortable with vents located at smart locations, effective temperature adjustment for driver or front passenger. Best lumbar support I've had in a car. Back seat is split and reclines. Handling is nimble and responsive. Acceleration is excellent despite being a 4 cylinder. Finishing inside and out is good quality. Controls are well placed and easy to operate. All weather package includes heated wipers and heat side mirrors, great when encountering frozen precipitation and/or fog. Nice sized sun roof available.

2015 models feature blind spot detection, a driver assist system and the Boxer engine which made Toyota want to buy Subaru in order to be able to use this engine in other vehicles.

This vehicle is a great choice for errands and running around town, driving long distances and on a variety of surfaces and grades. Best car I've ever owned!

fuse
10-22-2014, 07:47 AM
The Ford Edge is a good Swiss Army knife type of SUV / crossover- maybe not brilliant at any one thing, but versatile and comfortable for 4 adults with decent trunk space. New model coming out this fall(?) so you can likely get decent deals on 2014 models.

Kia and Hyundai will have the 10 year/ 100k warranty if that matters.
Honda and Toyota (CR-V, Pilot, Highlander....) reliable, boring.

Mazda CX-7/9 might be bigger than you want, but are more fun to drive than most in the segment. CX-5 and Ford Escape are similar.

Reisen
10-22-2014, 10:44 AM
Agreed with others that inexpensive smaller-SUVs are going to be somewhat boring. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

Also agree with the Truecar recommendation. If you buy new, I recommend the auto buying services like Truecar/Zagg/AmEx/USAA auto buying.

I rented the new escape shortly after it came out, and was not impressed. One thing you'll see is more vehicles moving to electric steering, which can have poor feel/feedback in an inexpensive vehicle.

That said, I like Ford, and have heard great things about the Edge.

While I haven't driven it, I'd look closely at the RAV 4.

Might be too big, but I've heard great things about the Honda Pilot.

Reddevil
10-22-2014, 03:07 PM
In 2010 I liked the Subaru Forester and the Honda CRV. It was going to be used primarily by my wife and she liked the CRV and it is fine. My parents just bought a new CRV. The redesign offers significantly more leg room. I am 6'3" and it felt very nice. I have bought new the last two times, but I always look at the certified pre-owned programs - they can be a great way to go. Don't underestimate boring....then again I'm 50 so....

cspan37421
10-22-2014, 04:26 PM

Could you provide some more details on your requirements, like budget?
with respect to getting in and out, I'm not aware of much in between the low bucket seats common with so many cars and the higher step-up-to-get-in seats of SUVs. I can't imagine either would be easy when you are 88.

We have a Honda Accord and two Fits. The Fit is incredibly versatile and reliable, but it isn't the fanciest thing out there. It has a ton of airbags (no recalls yet on those) and I believe it does well in safety tests. It had room for 3 and my grandma's wheelchair, and plenty of room left over. Note, most of the Fit's huge cargo capacity is vertical - it's a tall car. But the seats are low, as they are with the Accord. The Accord we have (EX-L) is quite nice, safe, and reliable. Not as versatile as the fit for a single big box or item, but it is roomier overall of course.

With respect to non-low seats, I have a friend with a Nissan X-terra and it is very versatile and roomy. But you have to step up a bit to get in ... it has running boards.

Good luck.

dball
10-22-2014, 06:05 PM

Have a friend who bought new Hyundai Santa Fe which she raves about. Really nice looking (and riding) SUV. Hyundai has a smaller SUV as well (Tucson).

devildeac
10-22-2014, 06:13 PM
We looked about 18 months ago when our 2006 Ford Freestyle needed a new transmission at only 90K miles. I thought the Escape and Edge were hugely overpriced. Plus, the owner's administrative assistant was a pompous, condescending back end of a horse. We spent the $4K on a new transmission and plan to drive it until it stops running. Again. I think my top 3 in this category would be the CR-V, the RAV 4 and the Forester. The first two because we've driven a bunch of Honda and Toyota products and have some connections with both the nearby dealers and the Subaru just based on reviews.

-jk
10-22-2014, 09:09 PM
I've had two Subaru Outbacks. Fabulous cars. (I totaled the first on 85 near Henderson on very rainy night heading to a game. Only injury was a scratch on a back seat passenger's bare foot.) Then I inherited a Pilot, found the third row really useful with kids, and sold my second Outback.

I'd be quite happy to have another once the kids have moved on. And the heated seats are wonderful for a sore back on long drives!

-jk

JBDuke
10-22-2014, 09:15 PM
A couple of other notes from my car search -

I should have looked more closely at the Hyundai Santa Fe Sport. It's a slightly smaller, two-row version of the Santa Fe. I really like the value of the current Hyundai and Kia lineups. The Santa Fe Sport fit into the size/features/price range of the Venza/Murano/RDX trio we looked closely at.

If I was going slightly larger, I would have looked very very hard at the new Toyota Highlander. I sat in it, and was impressed with the comfort and design.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-23-2014, 10:05 AM
I've had two Subaru Outbacks. Fabulous cars. (I totaled the first on 85 near Henderson on very rainy night heading to a game. Only injury was a scratch on a back seat passenger's bare foot.) Then I inherited a Pilot, found the third row really useful with kids, and sold my second Outback.

I'd be quite happy to have another once the kids have moved on. And the heated seats are wonderful for a sore back on long drives!

-jk

I concur in your high opinion of the Subaru Outback..... it was a really good choice for years, but the most recent iterations are truly outstanding. Great designs reflecting thorough understanding of all sorts of aspects of driving and riding in a car.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-23-2014, 11:01 AM
Have a friend who bought new Hyundai Santa Fe which she raves about. Really nice looking (and riding) SUV. Hyundai has a smaller SUV as well (Tucson).
I too was going to recommend the two Hyundai's recommended above. And the Santa Fe is offered with the 2.0T (turbo) that I have in my Sonata. Better performance and very good fuel mileage. And the best warranties in the business - 60,000 miles bumper
to bumper (5 years) and 10 years 100,000 miles power train. And I've had almost no problems with four Hyundai's zinc 2007.

nmduke2001
10-24-2014, 12:17 PM
You're unlikely to get anything exciting in an SUV on a budget.

My wife has a Rogue. We test drove the CX-5 and picked the Rogue over it. Rogue has the constant variance transmission (CVT) which never shifts. Pretty cool, but takes getting used to.

Her parents are in their late 70s/early 80s and can get in and out ok.

Her dad had a Kia Sorrento and that was actually a pretty nice SUV. And one of my friend has a Subaru which he likes.

I'd recommend getting a Consumer Reports subscription online and do a little reading up on it. And avoid getting a new car - always buy one that's a couple years old and under 30-50k miles if possible. Way more cost effective.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure CVT stands for continuously variable transmission.

devildeac
10-24-2014, 02:01 PM
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure CVT stands for continuously variable transmission.

That's what I always thought.

moonpie23
10-24-2014, 03:23 PM
mrs pie bought a 2012 Honda CRV after much research. she loved it so much, that when it was flooded last year over at university mall and totaled, she went through all the research and test drives AGAIN.......then bought the exact (2014) same CRV (color too) //

aimo
10-27-2014, 10:04 AM
After many rave reviews from co-workers and friends, I got my mom a CRV in 2012. EX-L, the only model with power seats. Drove it a lot myself, so got my own this summer (2014). Identical to hers except for the exterior color. May not be exciting, but I love it. Current models (starting 2012) have a lot more room, especially in the back.

dairedevil
10-27-2014, 05:25 PM
I appreciate all of your suggestions and input. I have a difficult time evaluation used vehicles - I understand all the "let somebody else pay for the depreciation", but since my car has such low mileage (74,000 in 14 years), it's hard for me to want to buy a 3 year old car with 50,000 miles. So, I've been looking at new. So far, I've driven the CR-V, Forester, Rogue and CX-5. All of them are fine - there's not really enough difference that I have just fallen in love with any of them. I'm kind of leaning toward the CX-5, it was probably the most fun and responsive of them, the Rogue had the nicest interior and felt familiar since I'm driving the Maxima now. The Honda and Subaru were both pretty bland.

I'd probably get the best deal on the 2014 CR-V, though since Honda's 2015 just came out, supposedly upgraded interior, etc. I might try out the Toyota and Hyundai before making the final decision...

moonpie23
10-27-2014, 07:34 PM
try to find a "previously owned" ....2yr old with around 28k miles on it......that's a sweet deal...

cato
10-27-2014, 08:04 PM
I appreciate all of your suggestions and input. I have a difficult time evaluation used vehicles - I understand all the "let somebody else pay for the depreciation", but since my car has such low mileage (74,000 in 14 years), it's hard for me to want to buy a 3 year old car with 50,000 miles. So, I've been looking at new. So far, I've driven the CR-V, Forester, Rogue and CX-5. All of them are fine - there's not really enough difference that I have just fallen in love with any of them. I'm kind of leaning toward the CX-5, it was probably the most fun and responsive of them, the Rogue had the nicest interior and felt familiar since I'm driving the Maxima now. The Honda and Subaru were both pretty bland.

I'd probably get the best deal on the 2014 CR-V, though since Honda's 2015 just came out, supposedly upgraded interior, etc. I might try out the Toyota and Hyundai before making the final decision...

If you drive the car long enough, I don't think there is much benefit to buying used. I like to keep cars 10 plus years (knock on wood), so I buy new, take out the risk factor of having had someone drive the thing for a while, and hope that I will enjoy those last few years of ownership free of major maintenance.

burnspbesq
10-28-2014, 07:42 PM
If ease of getting in and out, and ease of getting stuff into and out of the back, are major considerations, forget a small SUV and get a Jetta diesel wagon.

Full disclosure: I traded a Jetta diesel wagon for my current BMW X1, and wish I hadn't. What i really wish is that I still had the Audi A3 Sportback that I had before the Jetta wagon.

gotoguy
11-10-2014, 11:53 PM
Check out the Tucson. I bought my son a new 2013 GL (base version) for him to drive up in the Virginia Blue Ridge. Now with 15,000 miles. Good gas mileage 31-34 HWY. Relatively spartan interior but good functional designed instrument panel. Adequate rear seat headroom (I'm 6'3") Adequate acceleration and good warranty as mentioned previously. Thought about another when the 1995 E320 gives up the ghost but then I just test drove an Acura RDX, sweet...

Turk
11-11-2014, 12:31 PM
If you drive the car long enough, I don't think there is much benefit to buying used. I like to keep cars 10 plus years (knock on wood), so I buy new, take out the risk factor of having had someone drive the thing for a while, and hope that I will enjoy those last few years of ownership free of major maintenance.

True, you spread the extra cost over a long period of time, so the difference in total cost of ownership spread over those years probably narrows. However, I think the risk of getting a used car is so much less now, especially with so many more people leasing.

I'm on the same page; my goal is to get 200K out of a vehicle before I consider getting rid of it. But I prefer buying used; I enjoy life better without car payments.