PDA

View Full Version : Duke STILL at the bottom of the TV barrel

Olympic Fan
10-20-2014, 12:51 PM
Game times set for Saturday, Nov. 1 --

For the third time in a row, Duke gets a noon start. At least Duke-Pitt makes ESPNU instead of the ACC network.

There is no prime time ACC game that Saturday. But the "prime" ACC game at 3:30 p.m. is Virginia at Georgia Tech -- the two teams we just beat.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-20-2014, 12:57 PM

For the third time in a row, Duke gets a noon start. At least Duke-Pitt makes ESPNU instead of the ACC network.

There is no prime time ACC game that Saturday. But the "prime" ACC game at 3:30 p.m. is Virginia at Georgia Tech -- the two teams we just beat.

Something I can't get worked up over. Love the early games. Works for my schedule and the implied slight means nothing to me.

Keep winning!

devildeac
10-20-2014, 01:14 PM

If we keep winning, they can keep sticking us in that noonish slot. ;)

Olympic Fan
10-20-2014, 01:28 PM
If we keep winning, they can keep sticking us in that noonish slot. ;)

Realistically, I expect the Duke-Syracuse game to be also noonish.

Keep winning and Virginia Tech at Duke is probably a 3:30 game.

Of course, UNC at Duke is Thursday night.

Win or lose out, Wake at Duke is a nooner.

I can't shrug off the lack of respect -- I think it ties into the lack of respect from the pollsters.

I just hope the players use it as motivation.

tommy
10-20-2014, 01:48 PM

I can't shrug off the lack of respect -- I think it ties into the lack of respect from the pollsters.

I don't really feel like there's a lack of respect from the pollsters. And to the degree there is, I think it's because of our schedule. Our nonconference was really weak, and none of the conference foes we've played are in the Top 25 now. We're "ranked" 26th in the nation per the AP, but with a couple of exceptions, all the teams ranked ahead of us have beaten a ranked team or two, or their loss or losses have been close against high quality opponents. I think the exceptions are the non-power conference teams Marshall and ECU. Marshall is undefeated, so there's that, and I guess ECU is still benefitting from the glow of the 70 points against UNC, but still -- their schedule has not been strong. I think a case can be made that they're overrated, and perhaps we should be ahead of them, but it's not a clear case really. But who else should we be ranked ahead of?

OldPhiKap
10-20-2014, 01:57 PM
FWIW I think most coaches and players would rather play at noon than at night, as far as the rhythm of the day is concerned.

We had a prime-time game against Miami; we have a prime-time game against UNC; and the ACC Championship is in prime time if we earn it. ESPNU is a national broadcast. Things are moving in the right direction.

We've come a long way from hoping to be on a JP broadcast, or else trying to find an audible radio station.

53n206
10-20-2014, 01:59 PM
I live in Oklahoma. Have seen all games on TV except one which was on the go duke.com presentation.

Tom B.
10-20-2014, 02:03 PM
. . . . and I guess ECU is still benefitting from the glow of the 70 points against UNC, but still -- their schedule has not been strong.

They also beat Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, back when that was thought to be something kind of impressive.

Reilly
10-20-2014, 02:03 PM
I don't really feel like there's a lack of respect from the pollsters. And to the degree there is, I think it's because of our schedule. ... But who else should we be ranked ahead of?

Per the sports-reference.com SRS, we are the 33rd best team, so the computers back up your sense.

FWIW I think most coaches and players would rather play at noon than at night, as far as the rhythm of the day is concerned. ...

When we're at home, Cut talks about getting to enjoy Saturday night and watching other games after we play early. This is a business trip to Pitt, and we're going up there Friday regardless, so might as well take care of business first thing Saturday afternoon.

nocilla
10-20-2014, 02:08 PM
I like games on the ACCN because I can watch them on my regular tv. Games on espnu I have to find an online feed. More important for away games since I don't have the option of viewing the game in person.

CameronBornAndBred
10-20-2014, 02:15 PM
I never mind noon kicks as long as they are not home games; I'm tired of serving breakfast for tailgates.
I hate if for the west coast folks though, including parents of kids on our team. They will watching the game with eggs and pancakes.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-20-2014, 02:24 PM
I sure hope the VT game is 3:30 or earlier. We also have a home bball game that night at 8pm. I sure plan to attend both and not have to choose one or leave one early. And, I'm proud to say, which one I would leave
to see the other (end) is undecided.

-jk
10-20-2014, 02:26 PM
I never mind noon kicks as long as they are not home games; I'm tired of serving breakfast for tailgates.
I hate if for the west coast folks though, including parents of kids on our team. They will watching the game with eggs and pancakes.

West coast football fans are used to am starts for NFL games.

-jk

CameronBornAndBred
10-20-2014, 02:28 PM
I sure hope the VT game is 3:30 or earlier. We also have a home bball game that night at 8pm. I sure plan to attend both and not have to choose one or leave one early. And, I'm proud to say, which one I would leave
to see the other (end) is undecided.
That will have to be a noon kick. Grrr.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-20-2014, 02:32 PM
The time of kickoff and TV network assignment seem to reflect the perceptions of The ACC as much as they reflect on Duke. For the TV networks, this is more about maximizing the number of viewers than it is about individual team standings.

I think the team prefers an early kickoff for the Pitt game because it will allow them to get out of Pittsburgh ahead of the influx of Steeler fans coming in for the Sunday night game.

flyingdutchdevil
10-20-2014, 02:53 PM

Beer can be drunk at any time of day. College and business school taught me that.

OldPhiKap
10-20-2014, 02:55 PM
Beer can be drunk at any time of day. College and business school taught me that.

It was years before I realized that "scotch eggs" was something different than what I was doing.

Bob Green
10-20-2014, 03:14 PM
I'm tired of serving breakfast for tailgates.

What a coincidence, we are tired of eating breakfast for tailgates. :p

flyingdutchdevil
10-20-2014, 03:15 PM
...but figured this article pertains to this discussion: http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/76056/acc-perception-does-little-to-help-fsu

It's not Duke, it's the ACC.

devildeac
10-20-2014, 03:16 PM

Nothing wrong w/eggs and pancakes for breakfast to accompany a Duke FB win. Even better if served with mimosas or a chocolate-y Russian imperial stout from Green Flash or Sierra Nevada or Russian River breweries. French toast casserole is pretty tasty, too;). Hey, wait a minute. How come you and TNTDevil never served us eggs and flapjacks:p?

Wander
10-20-2014, 03:25 PM
I don't really feel like there's a lack of respect from the pollsters. And to the degree there is, I think it's because of our schedule. Our nonconference was really weak, and none of the conference foes we've played are in the Top 25 now. We're "ranked" 26th in the nation per the AP, but with a couple of exceptions, all the teams ranked ahead of us have beaten a ranked team or two, or their loss or losses have been close against high quality opponents. I think the exceptions are the non-power conference teams Marshall and ECU. Marshall is undefeated, so there's that, and I guess ECU is still benefitting from the glow of the 70 points against UNC, but still -- their schedule has not been strong. I think a case can be made that they're overrated, and perhaps we should be ahead of them, but it's not a clear case really. But who else should we be ranked ahead of?

Yeah. I feel a little bad to keep bringing this up, but our schedule is just so atrociously bad (which, as discussed by budwom and others on another thread, isn't necessarily a horrible strategy for us). You can maybe make the case for Duke at 23, 24, or 25, but are we really going to complain about being ranked 1-3 spots below where we think we should? We have the worst schedule of any undefeated or 1-loss team except for Marshall, and yes, that probably includes East Carolina and Colorado State.

Anyway, we'll be ranked (and deserve it!) if we keep winning.

loran16
10-20-2014, 03:29 PM

Are you new here Olympic? Being on national tv, even on the U, is not the bottom of the barrel. It's only around 6-7 years ago many games were not even televised around Durham.

This is far from the bottom of the barrel. (Also some of us like noon starts)

Olympic Fan
10-20-2014, 03:44 PM
Are you new here Olympic? Being on national tv, even on the U, is not the bottom of the barrel. It's only around 6-7 years ago many games were not even televised around Durham.

This is far from the bottom of the barrel. (Also some of us like noon starts)

Yeah, and there was a time when many Duke basketball games weren't televised.

In this day and age, almost every Duke game -- and certainly every ACC game -- is going to be televised on some format.

The question is how are ACC games ordered? I would argue that giving UNC (2-4, 0-2) and Georgia Tech (5-1, 2-1) prime time coverage while relegating Duke (5-1, 1-1) -Virginia (4-2, 2-1) to a nooner was a slap in the face. And giving Virginia-Georgia Tech -- the two teams we just beat -- the better slot on Nov. 1 is another slap.

Yes, ESPNU is a nice platform ... but (1) the noon start guarantees the lowest possible rating and (2) the ACC claims that its network (which Duke was on last week) actually reaches more households than ESPNU.

So noon on ESPNU IS the bottom of the barrel.

I'm not going to be celebrating because we got a TV game, any TV game. I'm sorry, but I do get upset when our football program is treated like a second-class program. For many, many years we deserved it -- but we don't now.

CameronBornAndBred
10-20-2014, 05:16 PM
Yeah, and there was a time when many Duke basketball games weren't televised.

In this day and age, almost every Duke game -- and certainly every ACC game -- is going to be televised on some format.

The question is how are ACC games ordered? I would argue that giving UNC (2-4, 0-2) and Georgia Tech (5-1, 2-1) prime time coverage while relegating Duke (5-1, 1-1) -Virginia (4-2, 2-1) to a nooner was a slap in the face. And giving Virginia-Georgia Tech -- the two teams we just beat -- the better slot on Nov. 1 is another slap.

Yes, ESPNU is a nice platform ... but (1) the noon start guarantees the lowest possible rating and (2) the ACC claims that its network (which Duke was on last week) actually reaches more households than ESPNU.

So noon on ESPNU IS the bottom of the barrel.

I'm not going to be celebrating because we got a TV game, any TV game. I'm sorry, but I do get upset when our football program is treated like a second-class program. For many, many years we deserved it -- but we don't now.
It can also be a recruiting benefit or hindrance. You want to be able to tell a kid "Hey, come to Duke and you are going to be on national TV in great time slots". You don't want to have to say to them instead "well, we'll be on TV, just not nationally all that often, and it will be long over before the good games are on".

SCMatt33
10-20-2014, 05:44 PM
I don't mind the selection. With ESPN having first dibs, the noon game probably means that the TV guys in Bristol rated us as the second most interesting game of the week out of the 5 not already scheduled. I could probably argue that there is less competition from other games at noon, but less people watching TV will wipe that out. I also looked up the whole schedule and it looks like ESPN and ESPN 2 will be filled with 6 day hold games from the Big XII and SEC, and frankly, those games will be much more interesting games featuring top 10 teams for anyone who isn't a Duke or Pitt fan.

dukefan1980
10-20-2014, 05:45 PM

I live in Georgia and before the game was over, we were sent over to the Alabama/A&M game. I had to finish the game watching the scoreboard on the SportsCenter app!

johnb
10-20-2014, 06:07 PM
If I'm a recruit, I wouldn't worry about the television stuff (I can still be in tv). I might compare the duke fans with the huge fanbases of quite a few of the flagship state U's, which leads to full stadiums and general adoration, but I'd like to think that I'd be eager to become part of the Duke family and into a terrific program where I can have a susbtantive role.

burnspbesq
10-20-2014, 07:40 PM
9:30 a.m. Pacific time starts are only a problem when the late EPL match is worth watching.

Reilly
10-20-2014, 07:53 PM
... And giving Virginia-Georgia Tech -- the two teams we just beat -- the better slot on Nov. 1 is another slap. ... and ... the ACC claims that its network (which Duke was on last week) actually reaches more households than ESPNU. ...

Were Virginia and GT "given" that slot, or did a network chose them?

ESPNU may very well reach fewer homes than the ACC network -- but which entity has the higher pick?

In other words, is there an ACC power that is who determines which teams go where ... or is it the individual networks/platforms that grab whomever they please, when it is their turn?

If it's the latter, then the fact that espnU has fewer eyeballs is not a slap and it may mean that we were not given the bottom of the barrel -- rather, networks took who they wanted, and espnU maybe had a higher draft pick (despite its smaller size) and so we were not the last player picked on a team.

OldPhiKap
10-20-2014, 07:53 PM
9:30 a.m. Pacific time starts are only a problem when the late EPL match is worth watching.

I think this week it is Swansea v. Leicester. 1-3-2 v. 2-2-2 last six matches. Yawn.

Newton_14
10-20-2014, 08:55 PM

This just stinks. Really. This team is for real. They don't deserve to keep getting stuck in the noon slot. Duke-Pitt last season was a whale of a game even with Duke missing Boone and digging a big hole. With us beating Tech on the road and then following up with a solid performance against UVA at home, we should have gotten the 3:30 slot. We are the defending outright Coastal Champs in case those making these decisions have been under a rock for a year.

Very disappointing to say the least.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-20-2014, 09:17 PM
As I said earlier in this thread, this isn't so much about what sort of perceptions the TV networks have about Duke as it is what they think of The ACC. The combination of time slot and network reflects where the networks think they'll get the most viewers.

As a program, Duke has improved enough that we fans are no longer satisfied with just being televised. The conference games at this point in the season aren't drawing the interest of the networks enough to get the better time slots on the "top tier" networks. Maybe if the networks again see Duke's season as a special story to follow (like last year), the time slots and network assignments will improve.

Wander
10-20-2014, 09:26 PM
This just stinks. Really. This team is for real. They don't deserve to keep getting stuck in the noon slot. Very disappointing to say the least.

I love you guys, but there are must be about 5000 things more relevant to Duke football than getting put in a nationally televised 12:00 game instead a nationally televised 3:30 game. Seriously. I follow the sport pretty closely and have friends from a lot of different schools, and I've never ever ever ever ever heard any fan of any team complain about the difference between an early afternoon and mid-afternoon game from a they-don't-respect-us-perspective, except on these boards. Maybe if it was the difference between being the featured college gameday game and not, or something like that, but come on...

sagegrouse
10-20-2014, 09:29 PM
I love you guys, but there are must be about 5000 things more relevant to Duke football than getting put in a nationally televised 12:00 game instead a nationally televised 3:30 game. Seriously. I follow the sport pretty closely and have friends from a lot of different schools, and I've never ever ever ever ever heard any fan of any team complain about the difference between an early afternoon and mid-afternoon game from a they-don't-respect-us-perspective, except on these boards. Maybe if it was the difference between being the featured college gameday game and not, or something like that, but come on...

Well, I sat in the endzone in the hot sun on Saturday, and I sure would have noticed a 3:30 start to the game.

Wander
10-20-2014, 09:33 PM
Well, I sat in the endzone in the hot sun on Saturday, and I sure would have noticed a 3:30 start to the game.

Haha, I totally support complaining for purposes like tailgating or, newly relevant to me, "I don't want to have to be that focused and not-hungover at 9 am in my time zone." But as some great moral outrage and sign of disrespect to the program? Lame.

OldPhiKap
10-20-2014, 09:46 PM
Haha, I totally support complaining for purposes like tailgating or, newly relevant to me, "I don't want to have to be that focused and not-hungover at 9 am in my time zone." But as some great moral outrage and sign of disrespect to the program? Lame.

Wholly agree. I am in deep SEC country, and hear folks complain about game times because of heat, hangovers, time someone will have to leave home or will finally get home, time to set up or break down tailgate, etc. NEVER heard any complaints about scheduling disrespect.

I'm glad we are on TV. And noon works for me on a personal level. So, it's all good.

BigWayne
10-20-2014, 10:21 PM
Wholly agree. I am in deep SEC country, and hear folks complain about game times because of heat, hangovers, time someone will have to leave home or will finally get home, time to set up or break down tailgate, etc. NEVER heard any complaints about scheduling disrespect.

I'm glad we are on TV. And noon works for me on a personal level. So, it's all good.

I am glad we are on a network I can DVR. Last two weeks having to watch the game live and see the same ads over and over on ESPN3 was irritating to say the least. As to the respect/justification factor, Duke football is one of many things I enjoy in life that proves I am not in the mainstream of the American target advertising market. I am used to that situation and fine with it.

JBDuke
10-20-2014, 10:38 PM
People, it's not about respect - it's about ratings.

While Duke basketball is one of the biggest draws in the college basketball season, Duke football just doesn't cut it. There's a reason why almost every one of our 40 basketball games is on national TV in prime time slots for national audiences, but our 12 football games are not.

When Duke football starts pulling down ratings like UNC, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, or Miami, then we'll get those coveted later slots. Until then, just be glad you get to watch the games on TV at all.

msdukie
10-20-2014, 10:48 PM
Yes, ESPN must hate Duke Football. Hates it so much that UNC @ Duke is on ESPN College Football Thursday Primetime this year.

(ESPN/ABC's biggest game of the week after ABC Saturday Night Football and ESPN College Football Saturday Primetime).

And the bottom of the barrel games for what its worth are the RSN games as they are on regional cable and have very limited coverage outside the ACC footprint.

tommy
10-20-2014, 10:52 PM

While Duke basketball is one of the biggest draws in the college basketball season, Duke football just doesn't cut it. There's a reason why almost every one of our 40 basketball games is on national TV in prime time slots for national audiences, but our 12 football games are not.

When Duke football starts pulling down ratings like UNC, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, or Miami, then we'll get those coveted later slots. Until then, just be glad you get to watch the games on TV at all.

Amen to that. And we'll start getting more respect, which will translate into ratings, when we're perceived to be competitive with the nation's top teams. Because while I wish this wasn't the case, and I'm not saying it's deserved, I think the general perception out there is that ACC football, outside of FSU, just isn't very good, so Duke doesn't get all that much credit for beating a lot of conference foes. We get a lot of credit nationally for the amazing turnaround that Cut has engineered, but still I just don't think many football fans around the nation are all that impressed with beating most ACC teams. And that's why if we get to the conference championship game, it's going to be really important for us to be competitive in that game. If we can be competitive, even in defeat, we may start to separate ourselves from the rest of the pack in the perceptions of many. If we get blown out, it would only serve to ratify the opinions of many that the league is FSU and everyone else, and the everyone else just isn't that good.

Reilly
10-20-2014, 11:04 PM
... And noon works for me on a personal level ...

You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning.

OldPhiKap
10-20-2014, 11:21 PM
You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning.

Louis Jordan agrees:

http://youtu.be/2ANOkUVe92k

CameronBornAndBred
10-21-2014, 12:20 AM
Agree, to a point. Football is very much about the "in the now" moment, and those four teams are less relevant now than Duke.
Anyway, back to the point that I agree with, we are 1-1 vs that crowd, with two to go. And one of them, VT, is now a (in my Jason "this is a mortal lock" voice), guaranteed noonish kick.

budwom
10-21-2014, 09:29 AM

Yeah, I can't feel too bad about our time slots. If we can keep winning, we'll be more and more attractive.

Here's a question of TV and scheduling for our forum of savants: Currently our Va Tech football game time for Nov 15 is not yet set (of course).
But we have a scheduled hoop game that night, 8pm, vs Fairfield.

While I know TV Rulz on assigning football game times, I have speculated on another board that Duke might request a noon football game so that
football and hoops parking don't overlap. Some people are telling me Duke has zero input....I'm only speculating that Duke might at least want to
request perhaps a noon game time....does anyone truly know if Duke has at least the opportunity to request a particular game time from ESPN, or would that
be an utterly pointless exercise?

Could the Fairfield game time possibly be changed (to accommodate football)? some seem to think so, but we have a game the evening before, 6pm, so I kind of doubt we'd then see
an afternoon hoop game on Saturday.

OldPhiKap
10-21-2014, 09:36 AM
Yeah, I can't feel too bad about our time slots. If we can keep winning, we'll be more and more attractive.

Here's a question of TV and scheduling for our forum of savants: Currently our Va Tech football game time for Nov 15 is not yet set (of course).
But we have a scheduled hoop game that night, 8pm, vs Fairfield.

While I know TV Rulz on assigning football game times, I have speculated on another board that Duke might request a noon football game so that
football and hoops parking don't overlap. Some people are telling me Duke has zero input....I'm only speculating that Duke might at least want to
request perhaps a noon game time....does anyone truly know if Duke has at least the opportunity to request a particular game time from ESPN, or would that
be an utterly pointless exercise?

Could the Fairfield game time possibly be changed (to accommodate football)? some seem to think so, but we have a game the evening before, 6pm, so I kind of doubt we'd then see
an afternoon hoop game on Saturday.

It would be a shame to split the student body between two events, not to mention the traffic and parking mess that would cause. Attendance at both events would suffer mightily I suspect.

budwom
10-21-2014, 09:42 AM
If ESPN were to exercise its six day hold on the VT football game time, things would get really interesting. Tough to change the hoop time at that late
date I would think (from Fairfield's point of view at least).

Regarding breakfast tailgating: I deeply regret the current (and probably forever) limitations on bringing liquids aboard aircraft. Otherwise I'd be
happy to bring a half gallon of Vermont maple syrup for the pancakes and a gaggle of Heady Toppers for proper pre-game hydration and attitude alignment.

OldPhiKap
10-21-2014, 09:55 AM
We also have a game on Thursday after the VT game, so with a quick turn-around the earlier we play VT the better.

DukieInKansas
10-21-2014, 10:17 AM
Living in Kansas, I'm just grateful that I get to see most of the games. They are televised and the games are good - no more looking at the Sunday paper to see how badly we lost. I'll be happy with that for a while.

ChillinDuke
10-21-2014, 11:44 AM

Agreed. It seems a bit over the top. Just last weekend I turned to my dad and said, "One of the perks of Duke's improvement in football? The game's on TV!!!" My memory is long enough to remember what a luxury that is. Regardless of the channel or time.

Works for me too.

It's ALWAYS about ratings. Just like realignment is all about money. ESPN would GLADLY put us in the GT-UVA slot if we could generate the same audience. But we can't - for a variety of reasons.

Amen to that. And we'll start getting more respect, which will translate into ratings, when we're perceived to be competitive with the nation's top teams. Because while I wish this wasn't the case, and I'm not saying it's deserved, I think the general perception out there is that ACC football, outside of FSU, just isn't very good, so Duke doesn't get all that much credit for beating a lot of conference foes. We get a lot of credit nationally for the amazing turnaround that Cut has engineered, but still I just don't think many football fans around the nation are all that impressed with beating most ACC teams. And that's why if we get to the conference championship game, it's going to be really important for us to be competitive in that game. If we can be competitive, even in defeat, we may start to separate ourselves from the rest of the pack in the perceptions of many. If we get blown out, it would only serve to ratify the opinions of many that the league is FSU and everyone else, and the everyone else just isn't that good.

Absolutely. I have a good friend who went to Ole Miss. Needless to say, with their resurgence the last few years he is a die-hard. And while he appreciates (to my face) that Duke has made a turnaround in the football program, behind my back (but also to my face a bit) he yawns at the general state of ACC football compared to his SEC. And you know what? I can't argue with that. That said, he was front and center for FSU-Notre Dame last weekend. So take from that what you will.

This isn't about Duke.

- Chillin

Duvall
10-21-2014, 11:48 AM
Agreed. It seems a bit over the top. Just last weekend I turned to my dad and said, "One of the perks of Duke's improvement in football? The game's on TV!!!" My memory is long enough to remember what a luxury that is. Regardless of the channel or time.

That's not related to Duke's improvement in football, though - it's a result of the unquenchable thirst for football content by ESPN and other networks. Every conference game would be on television somewhere even if Duke football were still terrible.

ChillinDuke
10-21-2014, 11:56 AM
That's not related to Duke's improvement in football, though - it's a result of the unquenchable thirst for football content by ESPN and other networks. Every conference game would be on television somewhere even if Duke football were still terrible.

I'm not sure that Wake Forest was on TV in my market.

And the parallels seem (painfully) appropriate.

- Chillin

ETA: I stand corrected. They were on TV in the New York area. But that may be because they played 'Cuse.

aimo
10-21-2014, 12:06 PM

Yep, we've already done sausage and country ham biscuits twice. May have to try breakfast burritos or something.

devildeac
10-21-2014, 12:18 PM
Yep, we've already done sausage and country ham biscuits twice. May have to try breakfast burritos or something.

Tried Saturday am. Successful/pretty darned tasty. Come join us;).

CameronBornAndBred
10-21-2014, 12:51 PM
Tried Saturday am. Successful/pretty darned tasty. Come join us;).
Last ones we'll be serving this year; I was up til 12:30am making those things! (Although they did a nice job of disappearing.)

DukieInKansas
10-21-2014, 12:53 PM
Last ones we'll be serving this year; I was up til 12:30am making those things! (Although they did a nice job of disappearing.)

CameronBornAndBred, Food Magician! :D

He creates disappearing breakfast burritos.

duke blue brewcrew
10-21-2014, 01:12 PM

I think there's a strong possibility that prime time broadcasts don't enjoy showing off a partially filled visitors side of Wallace Wade. Full stadiums (something GT and UVA do a lot better than Duke) go a long way with TV slots. Winning helps too, something Duke has in it's favor at this point, but fan support has to get a lot better.

devildeac
10-21-2014, 01:29 PM

CameronBornAndBred, Food Magician! :D

He creates disappearing breakfast burritos.

He had a lot of assistants (assistance, too:o). And I mean A LOT. BTW, where were you? You could have helped us;).

Olympic Fan
10-21-2014, 02:11 PM
I just want to make it clear that while I don't think Duke's TV placement is the worst thing in the world, it IS a slap in our face.

Playing in prime time is a major advantage -- as Cut pointed out when we had a prime time game against Miami. It helps exposure of the program and that helps recruiting.

The thing that galls me is seeing the TV networks routinely give better time slots to schools like UNC, which have done little in recent years (they haven't finished with a ranked team since 1997 and they haven't won a championship since 1980) getting better exposure. I know the TV execs are concerned about TV households and not fairness, but that doesn't mean I have to accept it.

I know the answer is to keep winning. We're in exactly the opposite situation in basketball -- same school, same fanbase, but because we've won consistently at the highest level, we get on TV when we don't deserve it.

And for those of you who don't think the poll voters disrespect us -- explain to me how UNC earned a preseason top 25 ranking and we didn't?

killerleft
10-21-2014, 03:07 PM
I just want to make it clear that while I don't think Duke's TV placement is the worst thing in the world, it IS a slap in our face.

Playing in prime time is a major advantage -- as Cut pointed out when we had a prime time game against Miami. It helps exposure of the program and that helps recruiting.

The thing that galls me is seeing the TV networks routinely give better time slots to schools like UNC, which have done little in recent years (they haven't finished with a ranked team since 1997 and they haven't won a championship since 1980) getting better exposure. I know the TV execs are concerned about TV households and not fairness, but that doesn't mean I have to accept it.

I know the answer is to keep winning. We're in exactly the opposite situation in basketball -- same school, same fanbase, but because we've won consistently at the highest level, we get on TV when we don't deserve it.

And for those of you who don't think the poll voters disrespect us -- explain to me how UNC earned a preseason top 25 ranking and we didn't?

UNC School of Jermalizm?:o

Duvall
10-21-2014, 03:13 PM
This is one way to get on television. (http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail/acc-notre-dame-announce-football-playing-dates-through-2025-2014-10-21) Future Notre Dame-ACC matchups announced.

Duke at Notre Dame, 9/24

Notre Dame at Duke, 11/09

Duke at Notre Dame

Notre Dame at Duke

budwom
10-21-2014, 03:14 PM
The utterly boneheaded preseason ranking of UNC has precisely nothing to do with how justified (or not) our current ranking is.

OldPhiKap
10-21-2014, 03:20 PM
explain to me how UNC earned a preseason top 25 ranking and we didn't?

Lazy journalism; rankings based on perceived strength of recruiting; UNC starting poorly (again) under Fedora; and us generally sucking for two decades before Cut came.

We could win the Coastal again this year, and there will be folks who pick us in the bottom third again next year. And as KL suggests, a good bit of that is homerism.

UNC was clearly picked too high, but they have a lot of talent and are better than their record indicates IMO. They are a dangerous team.

We are probably too low, but we have no one to blame but ourselves given the poor performance we had in prime time against Miami. A solid win next week might change that perception too.

Rankings are nice, but our record is more important. Just win, and let everything else take care of itself.

budwom
10-21-2014, 04:38 PM
Lazy journalism; rankings based on perceived strength of recruiting; UNC starting poorly (again) under Fedora; and us generally sucking for two decades before Cut came.

We could win the Coastal again this year, and there will be folks who pick us in the bottom third again next year. And as KL suggests, a good bit of that is homerism.

UNC was clearly picked too high, but they have a lot of talent and are better than their record indicates IMO. They are a dangerous team.

We are probably too low, but we have no one to blame but ourselves given the poor performance we had in prime time against Miami. A solid win next week might change that perception too.

Rankings are nice, but our record is more important. Just win, and let everything else take care of itself.

splendid summary; I agree with every point. Winning will take care of any inequity. Would also add we had a weak early schedule (which I think is a good idea)....

msdukie
10-21-2014, 11:32 PM
This is one way to get on television. (http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail/acc-notre-dame-announce-football-playing-dates-through-2025-2014-10-21) Future Notre Dame-ACC matchups announced.

Yeah, but now someone will start complaining that the NBC broadcasts in 2016 and 2020 appear biased against Duke.

aimo
10-22-2014, 09:31 AM

Back to the more important food issue: do you make the burritos up ahead of time, or just bring the filling and everyone makes them up there? I can see the advantages of both . . .

johnb
10-22-2014, 09:51 AM
Success and eyeballs go hand in hand (hmmm. not sure about that metaphor), but Duke hoops is constantly on tv mainly because we have been the country's favorite basketball team every year for the past 5 years. And, for reference sake, we were also the country's favorite in 1993, 2003, and 2007 (the other years aren't listed): http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2014/03/27/Research-and-Ratings/Harris-Poll.aspx.

I agree that football's empty seats are a problem: the intensity of Cameron makes casual fans more likely to want to see the game on tv, I'd think, and actually make the exact same game more exciting. Lots of the big state schools are having attendance problems as well, but it's good theater to show tv games with a backdrop of 100,000 Michigan faithful rather a smallish crowd on the visitor side of WW. And it also didn't help that our marquee game of the year so far was our worst-played game (aided by it being one of Miami's best games). If, instead, our 2014 early-season marquee game had been last year's A&M game or the first half of the FSU game, we'd be on the list for ABC games and not shifting between ESPNU and ACC networks.

Nevertheless, the trajectory of the wins, fan support, and tv exposure are all astonishing, and I don't think we need to get overly bummed out. Build it, and they will come....

Duvall
10-23-2014, 10:41 PM
If you were hoping that the Virginia Tech game would avoid a noon kickoff, you can probably stop doing that.

ricks68
10-24-2014, 12:55 AM
He had a lot of assistants (assistance, too:o). And I mean A LOT. BTW, where were you? You could have helped us;).

Maybe, just maybe, I hope to have some Cold Mountain brew for the burritos for my food contribution. If not, at least a growler from One World Brewing---an incredible Saison (out of season, but too good to pass up) or an Imperial Stout.

ricks

devildeac
10-24-2014, 06:25 AM
Maybe, just maybe, I hope to have some Cold Mountain brew for the burritos for my food contribution. If not, at least a growler from One World Brewing---an incredible Saison (out of season, but too good to pass up) or an Imperial Stout.

ricks

You'll be greeted with highly appreciative open arms and open mouths:D.

CameronBornAndBred
10-24-2014, 08:30 AM
Back to the more important food issue: do you make the burritos up ahead of time, or just bring the filling and everyone makes them up there? I can see the advantages of both . . .
I made them the night before. Serving 100 people "short order cook" style would have been a nightmare. I used 54 eggs, 8 pounds of sausage, 8 pounds of shredded cheese (in the stuffing), 2 onions and 3 green peppers. I made 80 burritos, using the large tortillas. They were all topped with salsa and more cheese, and heated in pans on our grill. Eight 10 x 13 pans held 10 burritos each.

I also made 64 stuffed tomatoes. These are popular, but also time consuming. Core out a tomato (buy them in 4 packs for easy transport) and stuff them with...stuffing! One pat of butter on the bottom, one on top, and after about 45 minutes on the grill top them with shredded cheese.

devildeac
10-24-2014, 10:12 AM
I made them the night before. Serving 100 people "short order cook" style would have been a nightmare. I used 54 eggs, 8 pounds of sausage, 8 pounds of shredded cheese (in the stuffing), 2 onions and 3 green peppers. I made 80 burritos, using the large tortillas. They were all topped with salsa and more cheese, and heated in pans on our grill. Eight 10 x 13 pans held 10 burritos each.

I also made 64 stuffed tomatoes. These are popular, but also time consuming. Core out a tomato (buy them in 4 packs for easy transport) and stuff them with...stuffing! One pat of butter on the bottom, one on top, and after about 45 minutes on the grill top them with shredded cheese.

And he's not just blowing charcoal smoke up your trousers, either. Both items described above were very, very good.

CameronBornAndBred
11-03-2014, 11:45 AM
We all knew it was coming, but it's now official.
We'll be hosting the Turkey Bowl at noon on the 15th, ESPNU.
Bright side, Pitt's Conner will be running all over the UNC defense at 12:30.

http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail/acc-announces-football-game-times-and-networks-for-nov-15-11-03-2014

SCMatt33
11-03-2014, 12:05 PM

http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail/acc-announces-football-game-times-and-networks-for-nov-15-11-03-2014

Makes sense to me. Above Pitt-UNC and NCSU-Wake in the pecking order, below GT-Clemson and FSU-Miami. Both of those games involve two upper tier teams. Ours only has one.

Nugget
11-03-2014, 12:47 PM

Since we've got a short turnaround with the N. Carolina game Thursday the 20th, the earliest possible start for the Va Tech game is probably better for the team.

arnie
11-03-2014, 12:50 PM

Have they moved the UNC game at Duke to Thursday at noon yet?

Olympic Fan
11-03-2014, 12:57 PM
Since we've got a short turnaround with the N. Carolina game Thursday the 20th, the earliest possible start for the Va Tech game is probably better for the team.

Another reason to accept the disappointing noon starting time on the 15th: We have a home basketball game with Fairfield at 8 pm

A prime time game would be impossible -- even a 3:30 pm game would have created major parting problems.

budwom
11-03-2014, 12:58 PM
I can promise you that a noon start has to please the folks in the athletic and safety departments who struggle with traffic on the easiest of occasions.
If we had a 3:30 football game (which wouldn't end until around 7) the overlap with the 8pm hoop game would have created some serious problems.
Perhaps it shouldn't be that way, but it is. Traffic control has been much improved over the past several seasons, but is still mediocre to poor. I (somewhat) fondly
recall decades ago when NC state cops handled traffic, and they were organized and efficient. The current Duke folks are well intentioned but do some
hopelessly inane things.

I think national TV at noon works out well for us, anyway. Obviously the Miami-Florida Penal Colony game deserves the night slot...maybe I'm alone, but I think the noon
slot gives us arguably more visibility than competing with a number of high profile 3:30 games.....I went to a party on Saturday and a number of people told me they saw part
of our game or saw the highlights during other games...

Duvall
11-03-2014, 12:58 PM
Another reason to accept the disappointing noon starting time on the 15th: We have a home basketball game with Fairfield at 8 pm

A prime time game would be impossible -- even a 3:30 pm game would have created major parting problems.

A prime-time game would have been possible; they just would have moved the basketball game start time.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-03-2014, 01:03 PM

All of this is true. I'm going to make a prediction and all y'all can laugh at it now.

The day is coming when there will be more scheduling conflicts between football and men's basketball. At some point the shift is going to be toward the priority being when the football game is to start. This may be like plate tectonics to some, but that is what the future holds for the months of November and December.

Duvall
11-03-2014, 01:05 PM
All of this is true. I'm going to make a prediction and all y'all can laugh at it now.

The day is coming when there will be more scheduling conflicts between football and men's basketball. At some point the shift is going to be toward the priority being when the football game is to start. This may be like plate tectonics to some, but that is what the future holds for the months of November and December.

That time was three months ago - the Fairfield game is untelevised because of the need to maintain flexibility for the football game.

budwom
11-03-2014, 01:08 PM
It's pretty tough to justify a prime time (8pm) game in football vs VT who are what, 4-5 right now?
and a 3:30 football game time would be just a problematical for hoops, neither 8pm nor 1pm would work very well as b-ball game times.

I can live with national TV at noon...

budwom
11-03-2014, 01:11 PM

Perhaps so, but there really aren't any December games in football other than bowl games (not located in durham) right?

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-03-2014, 01:11 PM
That time was three months ago - the Fairfield game is untelevised because of the need to maintain flexibility for the football game.
On a small scale, yes that's true. I'm speaking of a bigger scale in terms of frequency and deeper into the basketball schedule.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-03-2014, 01:14 PM
Perhaps so, but there really aren't any December games in football other than bowl games (not located in durham) right?

I'm including the championship game as a December game in addition to the bowl games. Last year I was interviewed by bowl reps who wanted to know whether I'd attend a bowl game that conflicted with a home basketball game.

devildeac
11-03-2014, 01:16 PM

I'm kinda hoping I can travel to Charlotte on the first Saturday in December this year for a game;).

budwom
11-03-2014, 01:22 PM
I'm including the championship game as a December game in addition to the bowl games. Last year I was interviewed by bowl reps who wanted to know whether I'd attend a bowl game that conflicted with a home basketball game.

I see. Well, to me it would be a proverbial no-brainer, as a football bowl game would be pretty important and the vast majority of home December hoops games aren't very crucial...plus there's the miracle of the DVR...
For example, this December's home hoop games are vs. Elon, Toledo and Wofford ....and even if we had a Big1G challenge type game, those are generally early December, mid week, thus not a factor...

devildeac
11-03-2014, 01:30 PM

Breakfast burritos with ground beef, please;).

OldPhiKap
11-03-2014, 01:31 PM
It's pretty tough to justify a prime time (8pm) game in football vs VT who are what, 4-5 right now?
and a 3:30 football game time would be just a problematical for hoops, neither 8pm nor 1pm would work very well as b-ball game times.

I can live with national TV at noon...

Exactly.

Last week, I preferred to be on at noon on the "U" rather than on in mid-day against the Georgia-Florida game. Or at night, against Auburn-Ole Miss.

I'll take any national slot. The less competition, the better.

[slight exaggeration] And, it could always be worse. The PAC-10 has some crazy good football going on this season, but the games start at 11:00 est so no one this side of the Mississippi River has watched a complete game. [/slight exaggeration]

Bob Green
11-03-2014, 01:40 PM
Long range weather forecast is calling for a high of 52 on the 15th so a noon kickoff is not all bad. Same forecast is predicting rain on the 20th. Good news is long range weather forecasts are more inaccurate than the inaccurate 5 Day forecast.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/durham-nc/27701/november-weather/329821

Fingers crossed.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-03-2014, 02:09 PM
Admittedly, I don't give two rips about perceived TV slights (midday games work great for me) but anyone who insists we ought to have a more preferred slot should go back and watch the Pitt game again and look at the stands. If the stands are maybe half full for kick off and reduced to a tiny fraction of THAT by the second overtime, we clearly aren't pulling much of an audience.

And that was a really fun, entertaining, high-scoring affair against a team with good football pedigree.

Keep winning if you want to get on Big Boy TV.

In the meantime, I will continue to enjoy my noon-ish starts.

uh_no
11-03-2014, 02:22 PM
Admittedly, I don't give two rips about perceived TV slights (midday games work great for me) but anyone who insists we ought to have a more preferred slot should go back and watch the Pitt game again and look at the stands. If the stands are maybe half full for kick off and reduced to a tiny fraction of THAT by the second overtime, we clearly aren't pulling much of an audience.

And that was a really fun, entertaining, high-scoring affair against a team with good football pedigree.

Keep winning if you want to get on Big Boy TV.

In the meantime, I will continue to enjoy my noon-ish starts.

to be fair, we were also playing in a 65,000 seat stadium....against a team with whom we don't relaly have a rivalry history

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-03-2014, 02:50 PM
to be fair, we were also playing in a 65,000 seat stadium....against a team with whom we don't relaly have a rivalry history

That's fair to point out. But, my point being that I don't think people were clamoring to watch this game.

I did, and I enjoyed it immensely. But I don't understand why people think that by virtue of winning games, we should suddenly become must-see-TV.

Until there's people watching Duke football, they won't pre-empt anything but Everybody Loves Raymond re-runs for our games.

OldPhiKap
11-03-2014, 02:58 PM
to be fair, we were also playing in a 65,000 seat stadium....against a team with whom we don't really have a rivalry history

Maybe we should refuse to shake their hands or something.

burnspbesq
11-03-2014, 03:04 PM
For real scheduling fun, it's going to be hard to top Valentine's day.

A probable 1 vs. 2 matchup in men's lax, Duke vs. Denver, at a neutral site (Fifth Third Bank Stadium in Kennesaw, GA), time TBD, followed by Cuse at the Dome at 6:00 p.m. EST.

ESPN is at least a month away from announcing its lax schedule, but it's hard to imagine them taking a pass on Duke-Denver, even if it is in week 2 and in the heart of basketball season.

I'm hoping for a 1:00 EST start for the lax game, but 2:00 or 2:30 on the U seems more likely. That would preserve a full noon window for a basketball game, and leave time for a mad dash to the florist between games.

burnspbesq
11-03-2014, 03:10 PM

And Edsall had the nerve to say "that's not who we are."

Reilly
11-03-2014, 03:17 PM

Well, I think Edsall's right on this one: usually, their hands are lighting a couch, or throwing a bottle at an innocent person's head.

I'd say that leaving their hands at their sides in an embarrassing, ungentlemanly manner is actually a lot of progress, considering.

devildeac
11-03-2014, 03:59 PM

TWEET!!!!

Unsportsmanlike posting.

15 yard posting ban.

And loss of beer.

DukeandMdFan
11-03-2014, 05:41 PM

That is fair.

The B1G Conference suspended Stefon Diggs for one game (against #6 Michigan State), reprimanded Edsall, and fined Maryland $10,000.

Hopefully, Maryland won't try to convince Penn State that we're their new rivals....

DU82
11-03-2014, 11:00 PM
I can promise you that a noon start has to please the folks in the athletic and safety departments who struggle with traffic on the easiest of occasions.
If we had a 3:30 football game (which wouldn't end until around 7) the overlap with the 8pm hoop game would have created some serious problems.
Perhaps it shouldn't be that way, but it is. Traffic control has been much improved over the past several seasons, but is still mediocre to poor. I (somewhat) fondly
recall decades ago when NC state cops handled traffic, and they were organized and efficient. The current Duke folks are well intentioned but do some
hopelessly inane things.

I think national TV at noon works out well for us, anyway. Obviously the Miami-Florida Penal Colony game deserves the night slot...maybe I'm alone, but I think the noon
slot gives us arguably more visibility than competing with a number of high profile 3:30 games.....I went to a party on Saturday and a number of people told me they saw part
of our game or saw the highlights during other games...

I'm biased since I helped the athletic department plan some of those "inane" things a couple of years ago, but I think overall the traffic operation is much better than when state troopers were at the helm of key intersections. (If you have any particular issue, PM me and I'll either explain to you why we don't think it's "inane" or try to get it changed.)

I'm perfectly happy with noon games, they don't interrupt the rest of the day/weekend as much. Admittedly, I'm not a tailgater, so I'm not out five/six+ hours before game time if possible (which noon games restrict, of course.)

Regarding your comments about the all-Florida game participants, I was relaying other scores to people in the stands at Pitt on Saturday (the scoreboard with the out-of-town games was very hard to see from our seats), at one point all I said was "Convicts 30, Cheaters 6) and they knew exactly which game and teams I was referring to without needing further explanation.

uh_no
11-03-2014, 11:12 PM
I'm biased since I helped the athletic department plan some of those "inane" things a couple of years ago, but I think overall the traffic operation is much better than when state troopers were at the helm of key intersections. (If you have any particular issue, PM me and I'll either explain to you why we don't think it's "inane" or try to get it changed.)

I've only had one bad experience this year....when the security one guy at the duke university lot made me turn up chapel drive instead of continuing to towerview and the edens lot....and that was the first game of the year...so probably just slipped up.

all in all, i haven't seen too much bedlam...now if we're talking about pedestrian walkways...grumble...

snowdenscold
11-03-2014, 11:13 PM

To which I say:

"They are what we thought they were!"

burnspbesq
11-03-2014, 11:31 PM
Breakfast burritos with ground beef, please;).

Ick. An authentic breakfast burrito is made with chorizo.

CameronBornAndBred
11-04-2014, 10:45 AM
I've only had one bad experience this year....when the security one guy at the duke university lot made me turn up chapel drive instead of continuing to towerview and the edens lot....and that was the first game of the year...so probably just slipped up.

all in all, i haven't seen too much bedlam...now if we're talking about pedestrian walkways...grumble...
Wait until we play UNC, which is shaping up to be a nightmare. The game is at 7:30, and they are not opening the lots until 5:30. So you are going to have parking lot roulette during rush hour. I don't even see how they are going to have much of a Devil's Walk since the people who would normally be lined up to watch are still going to be parking their cars!

OldPhiKap
11-04-2014, 11:33 AM
Wait until we play UNC, which is shaping up to be a nightmare. The game is at 7:30, and they are not opening the lots until 5:30. So you are going to have parking lot roulette during rush hour. I don't even see how they are going to have much of a Devil's Walk since the people who would normally be lined up to watch are still going to be parking their cars!

Duke is working on a ton of improvements to Wally Wade. I sure hope that parking is on the list.

Major programs find parking for 80,000 people plus. We should be able to do half of that.

devildeac
11-04-2014, 11:40 AM
Ick. An authentic breakfast burrito is made with chorizo.

Had that last tailgate:p. Adding a bit of variety. You haven't tasted our chef's burritos. I'll take them w/sausage, shredded beef/pork, spiced/ground beef, chicken or vegetarian.

devildeac
11-04-2014, 11:42 AM

Hell, we may not even be parking our cars by that time. We may be sitting in them on I-40 or Chapel Hill St. or Duke University Rd. :mad:

arnie
11-04-2014, 12:06 PM

If this is true, over/under for number of fans in seats at opening kickoff is 12,500. Stands may be full by start of 3rd quarter.

uh_no
11-04-2014, 01:17 PM
Hell, we may not even be parking our cars by that time. We may be sitting in them on I-40 or Chapel Hill St. or Duke University Rd. :mad:

I'm not sure tehre's much they can do....employees are working until 5....and as much as i think it would be awesome if they just gave the entire the university the afternoon off, i'm not sure we'll be able to convince them :(

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-04-2014, 03:08 PM
I'm not sure tehre's much they can do....employees are working until 5....and as much as i think it would be awesome if they just gave the entire the university the afternoon off, i'm not sure we'll be able to convince them :(
It never hurts to express one's opinions and concerns about such topics as safety and realistic logistics. If I were going to do that, I'd send my comments, requests and suggestions to the university president.

sagegrouse
11-04-2014, 04:05 PM

It never hurts to express one's opinions and concerns about such topics as safety and realistic logistics. If I were going to do that, I'd send my comments, requests and suggestions to the university president.

I, for one, believe that most employees will get to leave at 1 or 2 PM on the day of the UNC game. The University may wait until the week of the game to announce it. But, what do I know????

uh_no
11-04-2014, 04:18 PM
I, for one, believe that most employees will get to leave at 1 or 2 PM on the day of the UNC game. The University may wait until the week of the game to announce it. But, what do I know????

the problem is students too...they need the parking in the blue/green/circuit/751 lots for class....though maybe a student knows if they'll be prematurely kicked out

-jk
11-04-2014, 04:34 PM
the problem is students too...they need the parking in the blue/green/circuit/751 lots for class....though maybe a student knows if they'll be prematurely kicked out

Meh. They can walk... (Hell, my mother had to walk from East to all her pre-med classes on West. No buses then...)

-jk

CameronBornAndBred
11-04-2014, 04:56 PM
Hope they come to their senses and do that. My info is relayed from what was passed on to Ozzie in regards to our tailgate spot / parking options for the upcoming VT and UNC games. There are still enough days for people to poke the ears of people with control over such things, but they may be deaf to reason.
A two hour window before a kickoff for the biggest game of the season is incredibly short sighted and totally lacking of common sense. (Ahhh...but it IS Duke, and they can excel at that.)

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-04-2014, 05:16 PM
Hope they come to their senses and do that. My info is relayed from what was passed on to Ozzie in regards to our tailgate spot / parking options for the upcoming VT and UNC games. There are still enough days for people to poke the ears of people with control over such things, but they may be deaf to reason.
A two hour window before a kickoff for the biggest game of the season is incredibly short sighted and totally lacking of common sense. (Ahhh...but it IS Duke, and they can excel at that.)

Keep in mind that it is not the athlete department making the decision.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-04-2014, 05:32 PM
You are more optimistic than I am regarding accommodating parking for a Thursday night game.

OldPhiKap
11-04-2014, 05:35 PM
My hope is that the University understands what a wonderful opportunity this is, on national TV in a marquee position, to highlight our university and our program. It would be a shame if the first thing folks say when the cameras come on is, "damn, no one goes to their games!"

There are dollar and cents implications to the optics, if that's what motivates them.

CameronBornAndBred
11-04-2014, 06:07 PM
Keep in mind that it is not the athlete department making the decision.
I understand that. Still no less mind boggling. The school needs to work better as a team between departments. This does not mean they need to resort to fake classes, but this a day that can benefit the university as a whole and they are doing an awesome job of blowing it.

uh_no
11-04-2014, 06:18 PM
I understand that. Still no less mind boggling. The school needs to work better as a team between departments. This does not mean they need to resort to fake classes, but this a day that can benefit the university as a whole and they are doing an awesome job of blowing it.

many professors already hate that the athletics department gets subsidies....i highly doubt they would take kindly to suggestion that academic ventures be forcibly suspended for a day due to a football game, regardless of magnitude.

sagegrouse
11-04-2014, 06:30 PM
You are more optimistic than I am regarding accommodating parking for a Thursday night game.

Which is why, I predict, the time off for employees will be announced the week of the game.

Dev11
11-04-2014, 06:49 PM
many professors already hate that the athletics department gets subsidies....i highly doubt they would take kindly to suggestion that academic ventures be forcibly suspended for a day due to a football game, regardless of magnitude.

I wish I had a recording of the argument I had with a professor the morning after the 2010 championship, when I was asking for a quiz to be moved so we could attend the 'welcome home' celebration in Cameron. I ended up taking 5 minutes on the quiz and then darting out to head to Cameron in time. No regrets

uh_no
11-04-2014, 10:33 PM
I wish I had a recording of the argument I had with a professor the morning after the 2010 championship, when I was asking for a quiz to be moved so we could attend the 'welcome home' celebration in Cameron. I ended up taking 5 minutes on the quiz and then darting out to head to Cameron in time. No regrets

I took a full grade letter hit for missing a pop quiz on that monday as i was in indy....i almost challenged it with the dean...but i was about to graduate and already into grad school...and my level of caring dropped significantly

Acymetric
11-05-2014, 12:51 AM
This was my estimate from the other board, which I think is some combination of overly optimistic and overly pessimistic depending on the numbers. Don't think I'm too far off.

Attendance at kickoff: 15,000
Eventual total: 20 to 25k
People who tried to make it but gave up and went to the bar: 3 to 4 thousand
People who decided not to even bother: another 1 to 4 thousand

We've known about this game way too long to have this problem. Hospital takes priority (obviously, with no questions) of course. But no arrangements for offsite parking with shuttles? Strateglically close parking lots for the day straight up along certain roads to ensure those roads are clear for shuttles to run back and forth and even for select Iron Dukes/early GA parking? I mean we've got to be able to come up with something right? Never thought I would miss playing unc at home over fall break with nary a student to be found. Its not like this was dropped on us yesterday.

After making them look stupid on national tv we'll be lucky to get off ESPNU in the next half decade (hyperbole but we are really doing ourselves no favors here).

duke09hms
11-05-2014, 01:09 AM
What about public transport? Park somewhere in Durham, then I know Durham runs buses to the West Campus bus stop, think it's called the Bull City Connector. From there, it's a short walk to Wallace Wade.

Reilly
11-05-2014, 06:57 AM
... There are dollar and cents implications to the optics, if that's what motivates them.

Has anything ever happened in the past to lead you to believe that Duke U. would be motivated by dollars, cents and optics rather than acting with integrity and doing the right thing?

OldPhiKap
11-05-2014, 07:33 AM
Has anything ever happened in the past to lead you to believe that Duke U. would be motivated by dollars, cents and optics rather than acting with integrity and doing the right thing?

Hell, the right thing is to give everyone the day off; build a mock Game Day stage at the foot of the Chapel; and act like a real D-1 school hosting a major game.

If that's wrong, I don't want to be right!

aimo
11-05-2014, 09:05 AM
What about public transport? Park somewhere in Durham, then I know Durham runs buses to the West Campus bus stop, think it's called the Bull City Connector. From there, it's a short walk to Wallace Wade.

Bull City Connector only goes as far as Trent near the hospital. And any parking along its route is probably not free.

duke09hms
11-05-2014, 09:43 AM
Bull City Connector only goes as far as Trent near the hospital. And any parking along its route is probably not free.

http://www.bullcityconnector.org/map.html

There's no free parking anywhere along that route? Well probably not for 5-6 hours.

uh_no
11-05-2014, 09:50 AM

yeah, it should be plenty easy to park somewhere near/on east campus after 5 and hop on the C1. There's almost always parking on markham ave just behind baldwin, and there's usually spots behind the marketplace.

DU82
11-05-2014, 01:38 PM
I think the message from the administration is that PUBLIC parking won't be available until 5:30. I expect that Iron Duke parking will be available earlier, although not at 6AM (the referenced page said that the blue zone lots needed to be cleared out on the "following Saturdays" and while Nov 20th was listed, I think that was carelessness on the part of the intern/staff editing that page.) I don't have specific information about this, but that's my interpretation of that email to staff managers and supervisors.

Regarding other parking, there are lots on East that are usually open in the late afternoon, especially right off of Markham. I often park around 4:30 on Campus Drive right off of Main St. to use the walking trail inside the wall.

There aren't a lot of available lots to set up a shuttle system around town. For Alabama, Duke rented a lot near South Square (the old shopping center had been torn down, and the new one was and still is delayed.) That lot was used for the Tide's RV parade.

(The question I have is where are the students exiled from the blue lots going to park on that day? For Saturday games, I'm sure there's plenty of available staff parking areas they can head to, but not on a Thursday.)

I know it's a lot more people (3X), but we handle basketball traffic on a school night without too much difficulty, we can handle a football game. As mentioned, football parking at Duke is far better than almost every other D1 on-campus facility. (I'm trying to figure out where to park on Saturday in Syracuse. Not a lot available near the dome.)

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-05-2014, 03:15 PM
I think the message from the administration is that PUBLIC parking won't be available until 5:30. I expect that Iron Duke parking will be available earlier, although not at 6AM (the referenced page said that the blue zone lots needed to be cleared out on the "following Saturdays" and while Nov 20th was listed, I think that was carelessness on the part of the intern/staff editing that page.) I don't have specific information about this, but that's my interpretation of that email to staff managers and supervisors.

Regarding other parking, there are lots on East that are usually open in the late afternoon, especially right off of Markham. I often park around 4:30 on Campus Drive right off of Main St. to use the walking trail inside the wall.

There aren't a lot of available lots to set up a shuttle system around town. For Alabama, Duke rented a lot near South Square (the old shopping center had been torn down, and the new one was and still is delayed.) That lot was used for the Tide's RV parade.

(The question I have is where are the students exiled from the blue lots going to park on that day? For Saturday games, I'm sure there's plenty of available staff parking areas they can head to, but not on a Thursday.)

I know it's a lot more people (3X), but we handle basketball traffic on a school night without too much difficulty, we can handle a football game. As mentioned, football parking at Duke is far better than almost every other D1 on-campus facility. (I'm trying to figure out where to park on Saturday in Syracuse. Not a lot available near the dome.)

It is my understanding that 5:30 applies to all football parking.

This statement is from the Game Day A-Z information:
Due to the impact on daily campus operations, specific parking and traffic information for the North Carolina game on Thursday, November 20 will be announced closer to game day. Please check www.goduke.com/gameday for updates.

The announcement regarding when lots will be available and any other details related to logistics on November 20 has not yet been made.

DU82
11-05-2014, 04:51 PM
It is my understanding that 5:30 applies to all football parking.

This statement is from the Game Day A-Z information:
Due to the impact on daily campus operations, specific parking and traffic information for the North Carolina game on Thursday, November 20 will be announced closer to game day. Please check www.goduke.com/gameday for updates.

The announcement regarding when lots will be available and any other details related to logistics on November 20 has not yet been made.

If that's the case, then I'll rescind my comment. (I didn't look at the goduke web site, just saw the statement by the administration.)

hurleyfor3
11-05-2014, 04:58 PM

You actually went to class? I skipped a lab one year, forget whether it was after '91 or '92. (Cue Joe Tarheel linking to this thread from IC. See, a Duke engineering student did it 23 years ago so it's OK.)

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-05-2014, 05:06 PM
If that's the case, then I'll rescind my comment. (I didn't look at the goduke web site, just saw the statement by the administration.)
My comment is based upon numerous conversations with DUAA officials who are involved in the ongoing discussions. I wish the news and prospects were better. I continue to believe that there is still time to express concerns related to the logistics for that game, but it's not the athletic department who needs to be contacted. Ultimately it is the university president who will have to make the decision to take the steps needed to clear the lots earlier than 5:30P.

AustinDevil
11-05-2014, 05:32 PM

Hi, longtime lurker, first-time poster here. Trinity '92. Anyway, I'm coming to Derm for the Carolina game and am very interested in this issue. But am replying here to ask Reilly if my sarcasm radar is malfunctioning (entirely possible), or if the above is a serious reply. How would maximizing the dollars, cents and optics that are available to Duke by planning to have a full stadium at kickoff be inconsistent with integrity and doing the right thing?

Duvall
11-05-2014, 05:35 PM
Hi, longtime lurker, first-time poster here. Trinity '92. Anyway, I'm coming to Derm for the Carolina game and am very interested in this issue. But am replying here to ask Reilly if my sarcasm radar is malfunctioning (entirely possible), or if the above is a serious reply. How would maximizing the dollars, cents and optics that are available to Duke by planning to have a full stadium at kickoff be inconsistent with integrity and doing the right thing?

I think the idea is that Duke University is engaged in hundreds of activities each workday, all of which are substantially more important than college football. So why close the school for the football game when it should be other way around?

Reilly
11-05-2014, 05:53 PM

1. My reply was really nothing to do with what should happen on 11/20.

2. My reply was a joke. (And if I have to explain it, I've failed in my joke-making.)

3. OPK said there could be dollars and cents (and publicity) at stake -- if Duke were motivated by such things.

4. My (attempt at a) joke was along the lines of "I'd be shocked, shocked that Duke would ever be concerned with dollars, cents and optics -- of course Duke is only ever concerned with doing the right thing." The joke being, of course, that those of us who know and love Duke (and who've paid a tuition bill, or gotten a fundraising solitication, or gotten invited to a $115/per person tailgate @ Miami, or been dismayed at certain actions of our university leaders over the years for publicity reasons) also know that -- at times -- it can fairly be charged that Duke has put money, or optics, above other things. In short, some gentle needling of our alma mater, playing off of OPK's line.

AustinDevil
11-05-2014, 09:59 PM
1. My reply was really nothing to do with what should happen on 11/20.

2. My reply was a joke. (And if I have to explain it, I've failed in my joke-making.)

3. OPK said there could be dollars and cents (and publicity) at stake -- if Duke were motivated by such things.

4. My (attempt at a) joke was along the lines of "I'd be shocked, shocked that Duke would ever be concerned with dollars, cents and optics -- of course Duke is only ever concerned with doing the right thing." The joke being, of course, that those of us who know and love Duke (and who've paid a tuition bill, or gotten a fundraising solitication, or gotten invited to a $115/per person tailgate @ Miami, or been dismayed at certain actions of our university leaders over the years for publicity reasons) also know that -- at times -- it can fairly be charged that Duke has put money, or optics, above other things. In short, some gentle needling of our alma mater, playing off of OPK's line.

OK, I figured it might be a "shocked to find gambling" type comment. No worries. I agree the money-grubbing is annoying, but of course hardly unique to Duke. And in these days when the Carolina Way means Ethics chairpeople negotiating openly for fake grades, yes, jokes implying that mere money-grubbing is lacking integrity/not doing the right thing have to be really over the top! ;-)

AustinDevil
11-05-2014, 10:06 PM
I think the idea is that Duke University is engaged in hundreds of activities each workday, all of which are substantially more important than college football. So why close the school for the football game when it should be other way around?

Those are some impressive straw men you've assigned to me--no one proposed "closing the school," or argued that football ranks above all other University activities. On the other hand, you have taken the extreme position that *all* other daily activities are more important than a primetime ESPN broadcast of Duke hosting Carolina, which is indeed sufficiently absolutist as to be highly questionable.

Anyway, without arguing that football trumps all, or that the school should be "closed" for one afternoon, I do think it is important for Duke to figure out a way to handle parking logistics more creatively than opening lots a mere two hours before kickoff. Cheers! :-)

bleudiable
11-06-2014, 06:15 AM
Our nationally ranked team isn't even on OTA TV in its home market due to the ACC Network split scheduling with NCSU/GT. Fox Sports Carolinas for us in the 12/12:30 slot--garbage time. Sigh.

OldPhiKap
11-06-2014, 07:16 AM
At his Tuesday press conference, Cutcliffe said that he liked early games. It was one of the things he opened up saying.

I really do not know any other fan base that considers this to be a slight. I wish we could close this thread, let it sink, and if we want a general Duke on TV thread have one named more appropriately.

budwom
11-06-2014, 08:00 AM
At his Tuesday press conference, Cutcliffe said that he liked early games. It was one of the things he opened up saying.

I really do not know any other fan base that considers this to be a slight. I wish we could close this thread, let it sink, and if we want a general Duke on TV thread have one named more appropriately.

I agree completely. The We Don't Get No Respeck routine doesn't hold much water. The only time I whine about noon games is September when the sun is Saharan on the East side.

OldPhiKap
11-06-2014, 09:00 AM
I agree completely. The We Don't Get No Respeck routine doesn't hold much water. The only time I whine about noon games is September when the sun is Saharan on the East side.

Last week, Georgia-Florida was the afternoon game and Auburn-Ole Miss was the evening game. How many people saw whatever ACC games went up against those? By contrast, a good chunk of my SEC buddies saw our game.

Closing the thread was probably an overreaction, but a name change might be in order. (And no offense to OP Oly, who I know feels passionately about the issue and with whom I almost always agree).

Henderson
11-06-2014, 10:17 AM
Cut likes early games, so I like early games. Actually, I like early games anyway, and because I'm in the Pacific time zone, we're talking early.

Parking problems? Meh. At least you can drive to the games. That's a Duke infrastructure issue. Take it up with them and not out on the ESPN scheduling gods.

Disrespect? I hate seeing televised Duke games with so many empty seats. So do networks. It makes for bad TV.

And anyway, look how far we've come. When I was I kid in the 60's, the only references to Duke football on TV were during the long half-time score reports they used to do. "And Army overcame Duke, 57-25. Next a word from Winston, which tastes good like a cigarette should."