PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning Credits Cutcliffe With Recent Success

mr. synellinden
10-20-2014, 11:10 AM
In this week's Monday Morning Quarterback (http://mmqb.si.com/2014/10/20/nfl-week-7-peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback/), SI's Peter King interviewed Peyton Manning following his breaking of the all-time TD passes record. He notes the statistical improvement by Manning since he joined the Broncos and says that he is now in his prime - a decade later than when most athletes are in their prime. He asks Peyton why he is playing better (statistically) now than when he was with the Colts, and this is what Peyton said:

“I can’t … I don’t know, really,’’ he said. “But I will say, possibly, that when I started back after my neck surgeries, I started back with the basics. The absolute fundamentals. I worked with [Duke coach and former Manning college coach] David Cutcliffe, and we went back to ground zero with everything I did. So I think my fundamentals all got sharper, and that could be a reason why this is happening now. But I don’t know.”

moonpie23
10-20-2014, 11:35 AM
If i were Coach Cut, i think i might drop some of that in a recruiting chat......but that's just me....

:cool:

TKG
10-20-2014, 12:59 PM
Laura Keeley is firing up an article on the recruiting advantage Cut gets from working with the Mannings.

flyingdutchdevil
10-20-2014, 01:06 PM
Laura Keeley is firing up an article on the recruiting advantage Cut gets from working with the Mannings.

Actually, it is a recruiting advantage. A recruiting advantage absolutely within the bounds of the NCAA rules, but a recruiting advantage no less. And why wouldn't it be? If the best QB in the game wants Cut to help him, why shouldn't Cut use it to his advantage?

BTW - understand that your comment was tongue-in-cheek, but I have no problem with coaches marketing their successes to gain recruiting advantages. If Calipari wants to market that he's sent more players to the NBA in the last 5 years than most blue chip schools do in 20, good for him. He should be that.

devildeac
10-20-2014, 01:19 PM

Actually, it is a recruiting advantage. A recruiting advantage absolutely within the bounds of the NCAA rules, but a recruiting advantage no less. And why wouldn't it be? If the best QB in the game wants Cut to help him, why shouldn't Cut use it to his advantage?

BTW - understand that your comment was tongue-in-cheek, but I have no problem with coaches marketing their successes to gain recruiting advantages. If Calipari wants to market that he's sent more players to the NBA in the last 5 years than most blue chip schools do in 20, good for him. He should be that.

Won't happen unless Cut starts coaching some US national team/s to some gold medals and some Yahoo hack beats her to it:p.:rolleyes:

uh_no
10-20-2014, 01:23 PM

anyone else out there with 4 NFL quarterbacks?

wilko
10-20-2014, 02:14 PM

I'm particularly looking forward to the article where Peyton becomes Duke's OC, standing on the sidelines with DC.

roywhite
10-20-2014, 03:03 PM
I'm particularly looking forward to the article where Peyton becomes Duke's OC, standing on the sidelines with DC.

Ha...I'm sure such news would go over great in Knoxville. ;)

devildeac
10-20-2014, 03:20 PM

Interesting thought. What do we do with Scottie Montgomery then;)?

wilko
10-20-2014, 03:47 PM

Dag! I didnt think of that.....
OK He can be Scotties Assistant OC...

uh_no
10-20-2014, 05:14 PM

Thought the same thing. Cut can't coach forever after all...

roywhite
10-20-2014, 07:29 PM

I certainly hope he's here for a good while. At this rate, it won't be too long before he has an overall winning record at Duke.

Cut is 37-45 overall at Duke. That guy who is the basketball coach was 38-47 after 3 seasons, and turned out pretty well.

burnspbesq
10-20-2014, 07:38 PM

He'll be a head coach somewhere else (Penn, maybe? Coach Bagnoli turns 62 in January) by the time Peyton retires as a player.

OldPhiKap
10-20-2014, 07:48 PM
Peyton can grab on as a manager or something until a spot opens.

Or, QB coach (does Cut do this himself, I assume?)

Reilly
10-20-2014, 08:35 PM
Peyton can grab on as a manager or something until a spot opens.

Or, QB coach (does Cut do this himself, I assume?)

Not in Scottie's title but is in his job description: Scottie Montgomery, a 2000 graduate of Duke University, serves as the program’s Baxter Family Associate Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator while mentoring the Blue Devil quarterbacks.

OldPhiKap
10-20-2014, 08:53 PM
Not in Scottie's title but is in his job description: Scottie Montgomery, a 2000 graduate of Duke University, serves as the program’s Baxter Family Associate Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator while mentoring the Blue Devil quarterbacks.

Good dead, knew Scottie was OC (and alum, obviously) but did not know that we were lacking a separate QB coach. We could fit Peyton in there, Scottie would not be offended I am sure.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-20-2014, 09:22 PM
Good dead, knew Scottie was OC (and alum, obviously) but did not know that we were lacking a separate QB coach. We could fit Peyton in there, Scottie would not be offended I am sure.

We all know that when Coach Cutcliffe brings in new hires, he almost always make some changes in the assignments of the coaches on staff. Sometimes the changes are more subtle than other times, but they always seem to take maximum advantage of each coach's skills while offering opportunities to grow and extend those skills.

I think the bigger question is whether Peyton wants to coach or whether he'd rather get into broadcasting.

devildeac
10-20-2014, 11:16 PM

Why not? K's gonna do it and he's a few years older than Cut ;).

devildeac
10-20-2014, 11:19 PM
He'll be a head coach somewhere else (Penn, maybe? Coach Bagnoli turns 62 in January) by the time Peyton retires as a player.

I dunno burns, I'll take Peyton as QB coach and Scottie as WR/TE coach;). (But is Scottie tall enough to coach those 6'5"-6'7" TEs?:rolleyes:)

Dev11
10-20-2014, 11:28 PM
Every network that has any NFL coverage will be tripping over itself to sign Peyton Manning to any dollar value he wants to talk about football. I don't expect him to go into coaching, although I would absolutely not mind if he came to Duke to coach.

wilko
10-21-2014, 08:53 AM
Every network that has any NFL coverage will be tripping over itself to sign Peyton Manning to any dollar value he wants to talk about football. I don't expect him to go into coaching, although I would absolutely not mind if he came to Duke to coach.

You are prolly right....
However an OCD preparation maniac (as PM is reported to be..) may have a hard time turning that switch off.
He wouldn't HAVE to - if he decided he wanted to coach...