PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke 20 UVA 13; Bowl Eligible Again

Bob Green
10-12-2014, 06:14 PM
Duke has opened as a 5 points favorite over Virginia. This is an extremely important game in the ACC Coastal.

dpslaw
10-12-2014, 06:37 PM
You are blessed with the gift of understatement, Bob.

Bob Green
10-12-2014, 07:03 PM
And run the damn ball behind our fabulous O-line.

We are currently 23rd in the nation in rushing offense at 228.5 yards per game:

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/23

However, Virginia is 6th in the nation in rushing defense yielding only 91.5 yards per game:

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/24

fuse
10-12-2014, 07:20 PM
Given our recent football history with UVa, I certainly hope no one on the team looks past this game.
This is a different UVa team than we've faced the past few years.

Newton_14
10-12-2014, 07:39 PM

However, Virginia is 6th in the nation in rushing defense yielding only 91.5 yards per game:

I would argue we are only 23rd due to getting to pass happy at times. We need to run more than we do now. It's a weapon. Use it.

uh_no
10-12-2014, 07:48 PM

ehhh..YPG stats are misleading....need some tempo free stats!

uva is only allowing 2.7 yards per rushing attempt...so i wanted to look at where there opponents usually are

ucla: 4.4 average 3.0 vs uva
louisville: 3.4 2.9
byu: 4.5 3.9
kent state: 2.4 2.2
pitt: 5.3 3.3

Point 1 so it appears that while their numbers are gaudy on a national ranking scale, they haven't faced any really good rushing teams. FOr the record, we're averaging 5.8 yards per attempt, more than pitt. given that is padded by some of our earlier games.

Point 2 the team that UVA had the MOST difficulty slowing down was BYU. that was also their only road game of the season....coincidence?

Point 3 we rushed for 5.1 yards per attempt yesterday against GT which is less than georgia techs season defense average of 5.4 yards per attempt, BUT while miami holds teams to 3.6 yards per attempt, we managed 3.4

given all that, i would say that uva's rush defense is PROBABLY pretty legit. though not 2.7 y/att good. I would say they probably end up around 3.5 y/att on D for the year and we end up with around 3.1 on the game

we'll kill them on the pass though and shut them down on the opposite side of the ball. they're thoroughly mediocre in all other phases of the game, or so the stats seem to indicate

CameronBornAndBred
10-12-2014, 07:48 PM
Given our recent football history with UVa, I certainly hope no one on the team looks past this game.
This is a different UVa team than we've faced the past few years.
Being that they are currently in 1st place, I doubt we'll be looking past them. What is there to look past to?
We win, we are bowl eligible in October, and there is a chance that we will have at least a share of first place.

uh_no
10-12-2014, 07:54 PM
Being that they are currently in 1st place, I doubt we'll be looking past them. What is there to look past to?
We win, we are bowl eligible in October, and there is a chance that we will have at least a share of first place.

a chance if we win? no. we will definitely be in first place, having an undefeated record over all other 1 loss teams.

CameronBornAndBred
10-13-2014, 08:30 AM
a chance if we win? no. we will definitely be in first place, having an undefeated record over all other 1 loss teams.
GT is still ahead of us, even though we beat them. Beating them will make a difference if are tied at the end of the season, but right now they are still ahead of us.
London has recruited well; it had to start paying off at some point. I am always nervous about playing Virginia, but I was really impressed with our team last Saturday. That was a great performance, and NOT the team the showed up in Miami. If we protect the ball, keep a healthy mix of running and passing, and play the same D as we did in Atlanta, we should be ok.

CameronBornAndBred
10-13-2014, 08:34 AM
Speaking of playing D...this is a nice article.

Duke defense proving to be among best in ACC – The Blue Devils defense ended last season with a thud, allowing 97 points in season-ending losses to No.1 Florida State in the ACC Championship Game and No. 20 Texas A&M in the Chick-fil-A Bowl.

Halfway through this season, that defense has proven to have a much tighter bite.

After putting the clamps on Georgia Tech’s spread option offense in Saturday’s 31-25 upset win at Bobby Dodd Stadium, Duke has allowed 99 points in five games. That’s an average of 15.5 points per game, good for No. 2 in the ACC behind Louisville’s 14.1.
http://www.heraldsun.com/news/showcase/x532296978/Duke-football-Morning-After

Bob Green
10-13-2014, 09:28 AM
GT is still ahead of us, even though we beat them. Beating them will make a difference if are tied at the end of the season, but right now they are still ahead of us.

The difference is Duke (and Virginia) control their own destiny right now, while GT needs help to make it to Charlotte. If Duke wins out, we win the Coastal. The same cannot be said of GT.

CameronBornAndBred
10-13-2014, 10:24 AM
The difference is Duke (and Virginia) control their own destiny right now, while GT needs help to make it to Charlotte. If Duke wins out, we win the Coastal. The same cannot be said of GT.
Without offering my opinion either way (still too many games to play, but I like our chances), here are the thoughts of The AJC's Mark Bradley.

(Georgia) Tech’s path to a Coastal Division title would have been clearer had it won, but one loss shouldn’t be seen as a disqualification. The Jackets essentially swapped a home loss to Duke with the road victory over Virginia Tech. They hold the tie-breaking edge over Virginia Tech and Miami, though Duke now holds the tiebreaker over them. The Devils have much the easier schedule — only two ACC road games remaining, those at Syracuse and Pitt — and Duke doesn’t have to play Clemson, which Georgia Tech does. Still, the Devils aren’t apt to go 7-1 in league play. Going 6-2 still figures to win the division, and Tech has a real chance to do that.
http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/bradleys-short-takes/nhg2k/

sagegrouse
10-13-2014, 10:32 AM

This is a mid-November discussion topic. We ain't done enough to be dreaming of a crown.

That said, we need to win this weekend, and I will be there in person, along with three other family members, to cheer for the Devils. I will be in mufti, but I do remember wearing my good suit, actually my only suit, to the Duke-Carolina game as a freshman.

Cheerfully, Sage

budwom
10-13-2014, 11:33 AM
This is a mid-November discussion topic. We ain't done enough to be dreaming of a crown.

That said, we need to win this weekend, and I will be there in person, along with three other family members, to cheer for the Devils. I will be in mufti, but I do remember wearing my good suit, actually my only suit, to the Duke-Carolina game as a freshman.

Cheerfully, Sage

biggest shock my first month in Durham was looking at all the (Southern) male students wearing sport coats, ties, (hideous) plaid pants, tassled loafers, red alpaca sweaters to football games. That and the bourbon chugging.
I'd never seen that before.

roywhite
10-13-2014, 12:27 PM
biggest shock my first month in Durham was looking at all the (Southern) male students wearing sport coats, ties, (hideous) plaid pants, tassled loafers, red alpaca sweaters to football games. That and the bourbon chugging.
I'd never seen that before.

Reminds me of the cheer directed toward our friends from Raleigh:

2 Grits
4 Grits
A Bright Red Alpaca
All for State,
Move to the back-a

Olympic Fan
10-13-2014, 12:55 PM
Bradley's analysis is not terrible: (Georgia) Tech’s path to a Coastal Division title would have been clearer had it won, but one loss shouldn’t be seen as a disqualification. The Jackets essentially swapped a home loss to Duke with the road victory over Virginia Tech. They hold the tie-breaking edge over Virginia Tech and Miami, though Duke now holds the tiebreaker over them. The Devils have much the easier schedule — only two ACC road games remaining, those at Syracuse and Pitt — and Duke doesn’t have to play Clemson, which Georgia Tech does. Still, the Devils aren’t apt to go 7-1 in league play. Going 6-2 still figures to win the division, and Tech has a real chance to do that.

But I'm not sure he (and Georgia Tech) should be that optimistic about winning at 6-2. I've ready their boards and they are counting on winning a tiebreaker at 6-2 (they expect to lose to Clemson) because they'll have a better division record than Duke at 6-2. That's probably right, since Duke at 6-2 is likely to beat both Syracuse and Wake from the Atlantic and be just 4-2 in the Coastal.

But what they never seem to mention is that head-to-head is the first tiebreaker. If it's Duke and Georgia Tech at 6-2, then Duke wins the tiebreaker. If it's a three-way tiebreaker, what matters is who the third team is. If that team beats Duke and loses to Georgia Tech, then Georgia Tech (or the third team) would win the tiebreaker on division record. But otherwise, Duke would win with a better record in the 3-team tiebreaker.

Of course, I'm not sure he's right that Duke is not apt to finish 7-1. It's certainly going to be difficult -- but not impossible.

Still, it all starts this weekend with Virginia. Win that, and I think our odds of winning the division are 75 percent. Lose it and I think we're down to 25 percent (just because it would be hard to catch Virginia ... and they'd have the tiebreaker)

Bob Green
10-13-2014, 02:34 PM
This is a mid-November discussion topic.

I'm hoping it is an every week discussion topic.

CameronBornAndBred
10-13-2014, 03:02 PM
Pick up the win this Saturday, and we can start the "Where will Duke be bowling?" thread. I am looking forward to starting that thread in October.

CameronBornAndBred
10-13-2014, 03:11 PM
One quick note. I am sure that Duke is expecting UVA to come in with a chip on their shoulder. UVA is 1-5 against us since 2008. Last year the Wahoos looked to have the game well in hand with a 22-0 halftime lead, but then got steamrolled on the way to a 35-22 Duke victory. AT VIRGINIA!! (That still makes me smile!)
That is one of those memories that a team will hold onto when they come in for a rematch.

Bob Green
10-13-2014, 03:40 PM
Last year the Wahoos looked to have the game well in hand with a 22-0 halftime lead, but then got steamrolled on the way to a 35-22 Duke victory.

Minor correction: Virginia had a 22-0 lead in the 1st half, but Duke scored a touchdown late in the 2nd quarter so it was 22-7 at the half.

Papa John
10-13-2014, 04:15 PM
One quick note. I am sure that Duke is expecting UVA to come in with a chip on their shoulder. UVA is 1-5 against us since 2008. Last year the Wahoos looked to have the game well in hand with a 22-0 halftime lead, but then got steamrolled on the way to a 35-22 Duke victory. AT VIRGINIA!! (That still makes me smile!) That is one of those memories that a team will hold onto when they come in for a rematch.

I'm glad we get to play this one at home... UVa is a program that has turned the corner, and should be returning to the hard-nosed, lunch-pail, proficient brand of football we have been accustomed to seeing from them from the 90s through the enigmatic final couple years of the Groh regime... It has taken London longer than one would expect, but he definitely seems to have the ship righted at last...

roywhite
10-13-2014, 05:18 PM
One quick note. I am sure that Duke is expecting UVA to come in with a chip on their shoulder. UVA is 1-5 against us since 2008. Last year the Wahoos looked to have the game well in hand with a 22-0 halftime lead, but then got steamrolled on the way to a 35-22 Duke victory. AT VIRGINIA!! (That still makes me smile!)
That is one of those memories that a team will hold onto when they come in for a rematch.

And UVa players and coaches were celebrating waaaay too early. If I recall, London was doing chest bumps with a player when they went up 22-0.

Lately, Duke has owned UVa in football and lacrosse; the Cavs should come in highly motivated.

CameronBornAndBred
10-13-2014, 05:34 PM
I'm glad we get to play this one at home... UVa is a program that has turned the corner, and should be returning to the hard-nosed, lunch-pail, proficient brand of football we have been accustomed to seeing from them from the 90s through the enigmatic final couple years of the Groh regime... It has taken London longer than one would expect, but he definitely seems to have the ship righted at last...
I'm happy it as at home too, let's prove WW can be a formidable place to play! This game has so much riding on it, I truly hope the Duke fans turn out. UVA is going to travel well to watch this one, I think.

And UVa players and coaches were celebrating waaaay too early. If I recall, London was doing chest bumps with a player when they went up 22-0.

Lately, Duke has owned UVa in football and lacrosse; the Cavs should come in highly motivated.
They better not bring their LAX guys on the field, too! We can only play one team at once. ;)

Reilly
10-13-2014, 07:00 PM
... We ain't done enough to be dreaming of a crown ...

"We want people to understand we're here to win championships. People are going to laugh. I hope they do. It just adds fuel to the fire." - David Cutcliffe (2008)

devildeac
10-13-2014, 11:06 PM
"We want people to understand we're here to win championships. People are going to laugh. I hope they do. It just adds fuel to the fire." - David Cutcliffe (2008)

Thanks for recollecting that quote and posting it. I remember it well.

Capn Poptart
10-14-2014, 02:56 PM

And their fans come in way too confident, if you go by posts on thesabre.com.

We've beaten them 5 outta 6, and every preseason, the fans over their project Duke as a gimme.

Bob Green
10-14-2014, 06:11 PM
The over/under in Vegas is sitting at 50.5 points. A 27-24 Duke victory sounds good to me.

devildeac
10-14-2014, 07:01 PM
The over/under in Vegas is sitting at 50.5 points. A 27-24 Duke victory sounds good to me.

Vegas line in the paper today was Duke -3 so that's compatible. I'd go for that score, too, Bob, maybe with a late TD by the 'Hoos and Duke recovering the subsequent onside kick at the uva 45 with 30 seconds to go.

CameronBlue
10-14-2014, 07:01 PM

We've beaten them 5 outta 6, and every preseason, the fans over their project Duke as a gimme.

Duke fans used to say the same thing about Wake. So the Weauxfgods dropped a nasty little 0-12 streak on us sparing few indignities in the process. Speak softly and with deference lad.

Dev11
10-14-2014, 07:43 PM

Admittedly, given the overall performance prior to 2012 or so, wouldn't you do the same as a fan of any ACC team?

jimsumner
10-14-2014, 07:50 PM
Admittedly, given the overall performance prior to 2012 or so, wouldn't you do the same as a fan of any ACC team?

Duke played in a lot of home-coming games. An awful lot.

Duvall
10-14-2014, 07:57 PM

After five losses in six years, though.

Capn Poptart
10-14-2014, 08:20 PM
Duke fans used to say the same thing about Wake. So the Weauxfgods dropped a nasty little 0-12 streak on us sparing few indignities in the process. Speak softly and with deference lad.

Fair enough. It's hard to cover up 50 years of stink.

Duvall
10-14-2014, 08:31 PM
Fair enough. It's hard to cover up 50 years of stink.

And yet...it's Virginia. Their record against Duke during those 50 years is only 27-23.

-bdbd
10-15-2014, 12:45 AM
And yet...it's Virginia. Their record against Duke during those 50 years is only 27-23.

Yeah, but the majority of those wins have come in the last 25 years or so. People often forget that UVA football really used to stink, consistently, before the mid-80's or so. 'been a different story since around then....

sagegrouse
10-15-2014, 04:56 AM
Yeah, but the majority of those wins have come in the last 25 years or so. People often forget that UVA football really used to stink, consistently, before the mid-80's or so. 'been a different story since around then....

There is a subtext to your statement. In 1982, former All-American quarterback, George Welsh, became the coach at UVa after a successful stint at Navy. At the time Virginia was the one of the worst football programs in the country and had never been very good. "Our man" John Feinstein, who was at the Post, told Tom Butters that George Welsh was a very good coach and suggested Duke go after him. There may have been a problem in timing, since Red Wilson was still coach at Duke when Welsh went to Virginia.

nocilla
10-15-2014, 10:16 AM
ESPN's Chris Low makes his predictions for the second half of the college football season;

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11702181/forecasting-second-half-college-football-season?ex_cid=espnapi_public

The relevant portion;
"Duke is poised to make a postseason run again. And, no, we're not talking hoops. The Blue Devils won at Georgia Tech last weekend (after losing 10 in a row to the Yellow Jackets) and get Virginia at home this weekend. Duke avoids Clemson and Florida State this season and also gets Virginia Tech at home in November, the first of three straight home games to end the season. When the Blue Devils won the Coastal Division a year ago, it was big news. Well, what about two straight trips to the ACC championship game? Good coaches can win anywhere and so can good people. David Cutcliffe fits the bill on both counts."

Olympic Fan
10-15-2014, 05:07 PM
There is a subtext to your statement. In 1982, former All-American quarterback, George Welsh, became the coach at UVa after a successful stint at Navy. At the time Virginia was the one of the worst football programs in the country and had never been very good. "Our man" John Feinstein, who was at the Post, told Tom Butters that George Welsh was a very good coach and suggested Duke go after him. There may have been a problem in timing, since Red Wilson was still coach at Duke when Welsh went to Virginia.

"Our Man" might be doing a little chest thumping. But the facts aren't so simple.

Tom Butters didn't need Feinstein or anybody else to tell him what a promising coach George Welsh was. Welsh and Butters got acquainted when Duke and Navy played back-to-backs years in 1977 (won by Duke) and 1978 (a 31-8 Navy win). Welsh was also close to Roanoke sports editor Bill Brill, who was VERY close to Butters. It was Brill who told Butters in the fall of 1981 that Welsh (who had turned Navy into a mini-power. His last four Navy teams had averaged eight wins a year, had played in three bowls in those four seasons and beat Army in six of seven years) was interested in moving on.

Butters was very interested (and, if my information is correct, met with a representative of Welsh), but he had a timing problem. Virginia was enduring a 1-10-1 season under Dick Bestwick, who had won 16 games in six seasons, less than three a year. The Cavaliers were in the market for a coach and were talking about investing millions in a football program.

Duke was in the midst of a 6-5 season under Red Wilson. Wilson had gone 2-8-1 and 2-9 in his first two seasons in Durham, but helped by young offensive coordinator Steve Spurrier, were en route to a successful 1981 season. I would have been hard to fire Wilson at that point.

Would Welsh have picked Duke over Virginia had both jobs been offered? No one can say at this point, but I would argue that in 1981, Duke was a much, much better program. Welsh was a Navy grad, so it's not like Virginia had any kind of edge there.

Instead, Welsh went to Virginia and did one of the best coaching jobs in ACC history. Not only did he make Virginia a winner -- he made them a CONSISTENT winner, something they had never been before (and haven't been since -- six winning seasons in the 13 seasons since his retirement).

Wilson gave Duke a second straight 6-5 season in 1982, including a 51-17 victory over Virginia. Ironically, that Duke team -- which had opened the season with wins at Tennessee, at South Carolina and that rout of Virginia -- suffered its first loss of the season the next week against the Navy team that Welsh had left behind -- a 27-21 heartbreaker to Napoleon McCallum and company.

CameronBornAndBred
10-16-2014, 08:27 AM
Laura Keeley (and just about everyone else) notes that Virginia recent success is due to its defense.

Under second-year defensive coordinator Jon Tenuta, the Cavaliers have turned his aggressive schemes into impact plays. Against FBS opponents, Virginia ranks third in the ACC in sacks per game (3.6) and fourth in tackles for loss per game (7.40). The Cavaliers have 19 takeaways this season – 10 fumble recoveries and nine interceptions – and 12 have come against FBS competition.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/10/15/4236436_physical-challenge-from-virginias.html?sp=/99/103/&rh=1

roywhite
10-16-2014, 08:59 AM
Laura Keeley (and just about everyone else) notes that Virginia recent success is due to its defense.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/10/15/4236436_physical-challenge-from-virginias.html?sp=/99/103/&rh=1

Yeah, some very interesting comparisons of strength vs strength

Turnovers
UVa -- 19 turnovers gained; 2nd in country
Duke -- 5 turnovers lost; 7th in country for fewest

QB Sacks
UVa -- 23 teams sacks; 5th in country
Duke -- 4 sacks allowed; 3rd in country for fewest

Rushing
Duke Offense -- 228.5 yds/game; 23rd in the country
UVa Defense vs Rush -- 91.5 yds/game allowed; 6th in the country

NCAA Team Stats (http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/24)

OldPhiKap
10-16-2014, 09:30 AM
Yeah, some very interesting comparisons of strength vs strength

Turnovers
UVa -- 19 turnovers gained; 2nd in country
Duke -- 5 turnovers lost; 7th in country for fewest

QB Sacks
UVa -- 23 teams sacks; 5th in country
Duke -- 4 sacks allowed; 3rd in country for fewest

Rushing
Duke Offense -- 228.5 yds/game; 23rd in the country
UVa Defense vs Rush -- 91.5 yds/game allowed; 6th in the country

NCAA Team Stats (http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/24)

I would also note that UVa has done that against a pretty strong slate of competition (compared to ours yet, at least) -- UCLA, BYU, Louisville, Pitt, even Richmond (historically -- not sure what they have this year).

Overall, UVa is 57th in scoring, and 47th in points allowed. We are 32nd and 7th, respectively.

devildeac
10-16-2014, 09:50 AM
I would also note that UVa has done that against a pretty strong slate of competition (compared to ours yet, at least) -- UCLA, BYU, Louisville, Pitt, even Richmond (historically -- not sure what they have this year).

Overall, UVa is 57th in scoring, and 47th in points allowed. We are 32nd and 7th, respectively.

Man, we might see something like 17-14 as the final, or 13-10 like the VT game last year. In favor of the good guys, hopefully;).

CameronBornAndBred
10-16-2014, 10:57 AM
The ACC blog team at ESPN has unimously picked UVA to win the game. They did the same with GT. I hope this is the beginning of a fun trend. :D

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/75888/acc-week-8-predictions

OldPhiKap
10-16-2014, 10:58 AM
Man, we might see something like 17-14 as the final, or 13-10 like the VT game last year. In favor of the good guys, hopefully;).

Turnovers and special team play are probably the determinatives here.

roywhite
10-16-2014, 11:08 AM
Turnovers and special team play are probably the determinatives here.

Hmmm....maybe a big punt return by Crowder or kick return by DeVon Edwards?

They're certainly capable.

OldPhiKap
10-16-2014, 11:10 AM
Hmmm....maybe a big punt return by Crowder or kick return by DeVon Edwards?

They're certainly capable.

Both would be nice. And doable.

devildeac
10-16-2014, 11:28 AM
Both would be nice. And doable.

I'd love to see our D duplicate their 3 TO performance in Atlanta;). Plus, hoping Boone and his gang can put up another 0 TO game.

noworries
10-16-2014, 02:15 PM
I'm headed to WW for the first time in probably 10 years for the game Saturday. I was wondering if anyone knew a good spot to tailgate near the stadium? Or if it would be pretty obvious when we got to campus where to go. Thanks in advance!

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-16-2014, 02:29 PM
I'm headed to WW for the first time in probably 10 years for the game Saturday. I was wondering if anyone knew a good spot to tailgate near the stadium? Or if it would be pretty obvious when we got to campus where to go. Thanks in advance!
Following is a link with all sorts of information about game day for football. Scroll down the page for information about public parking locations and prices.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=635259&SPID=72334&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1178945

Parking and access to campus is much more organized and controlled than it was just a few years ago.

nocilla
10-16-2014, 02:30 PM

Unless you have an Iron Duke pass, your best bet is probably the Chemistry lot. Someone with more experience can probably give you a better answer. A lot of people park and then walk to a tailgate in the Iron Duke lots as well. Plus there is also the school sponsored tailgate, Club Blue Devil, inside the gate.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-16-2014, 03:14 PM
Here's an update specific to events on campus October 18.
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209716191&DB_OEM_ID=4200

TruBlu
10-16-2014, 03:33 PM
Parking and access to campus is much more organized and controlled than it was just a few years ago.

Thank goodness! The folks in charge have gotten it right. Traffic directors and parking attendants have a great attitude and are extremely helpful.

A friend (long time Duke fan) had such a bad experience about 6 years ago that he gave up season tickets, and still refuses to go to football games, even when offered a free ticket. He still goes to basketball games.

I had numerous bad experiences, including:

1) being directed in circles, and never being able to make a right hand turn to get on the road leading to my reserved lot.

2) being told the lot was full, even though the lot was in sight and was 75% empty.

3) being told that the lot was designated for basketball parking (CTC was that night). After parking far, far away and walking to the stadium, the attendant saw me and my guest, apologized, and said he was misinformed and that I could go get my car and park in my lot.

I often wondered if a UNC fan was in charge back then, and was making life as difficult as possible for us Blue Devils.

budwom
10-16-2014, 03:41 PM
Thank goodness! The folks in charge have gotten it right. Traffic directors and parking attendants have a great attitude and are extremely helpful.

A friend (long time Duke fan) had such a bad experience about 6 years ago that he gave up season tickets, and still refuses to go to football games, even when offered a free ticket. He still goes to basketball games.

I had numerous bad experiences, including:

1) being directed in circles, and never being able to make a right hand turn to get on the road leading to my reserved lot.

2) being told the lot was full, even though the lot was in sight and was 75% empty.

3) being told that the lot was designated for basketball parking (CTC was that night). After parking far, far away and walking to the stadium, the attendant saw me and my guest, apologized, and said he was misinformed and that I could go get my car and park in my lot.

I often wondered if a UNC fan was in charge back then, and was making life as difficult as possible for us Blue Devils.

Well, they still aren't 100% crisp in how they handle things, but they're a few miles beyond where they were pre Cutcliffe. I recall writing a letter to him when hired noting that while he was trying to build up attendance, tailgating, etc, the
idiots in charge (inscrutable Sovietesque combination of Iron Dukes and Public Safety bureaucratic nincompoops, each of which blamed the other "organization") regularly did NOT have the parking lot gates open a mere 90 minutes before kickoff. Almost amusingly appalling.
(I did get a nice reply from Cut, said he'd make sure the lots opened well in advance of games...and he did).

awhom111
10-16-2014, 10:01 PM
Blackout Map:
http://espngameplan.espn.com/images/maps/10-18-14_Virginia___Duke.jpg

Affiliates again:
http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail/acc-network-affiliates-october-18-virginia-at-duke-2014-10-06

Area in Black:
-One of the stations on the list linked above
-Online through ACC website http://theacc.co/FBLive14UVAvsDUKE

Area in Green:
-ESPN3
-ESPN GamePlan

Compared to last week, we lose one station and gain three others. That pushes the television household count over 90 million and 80% covering more than 120 markets.

Bob Green
10-17-2014, 05:00 AM
Patrick Cacchio previews the game:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2014/10/preview-virginia-duke/

Ball security, ball security, ball security. Virginia ranks second in the country in takeaways with 19 through their first 6 games.

The more I think about this game, the more I believe it will be a lower scoring, defensive battle where the offense who takes advantage of an opportunity wins. Whoever scores off a turnover or special teams play that flips the field will prevail.

I'm taking the under: Duke 20, Virginia 16. That prediction and $2.25 will get you a cup of coffee.

devildeac
10-17-2014, 08:54 AM

The more I think about this game, the more I believe it will be a lower scoring, defensive battle where the offense who takes advantage of an opportunity wins. Whoever scores off a turnover or special teams play that flips the field will prevail.

I'm taking the under: Duke 20, Virginia 16. That prediction and $2.25 will get you a cup of coffee.

I'll take that score AND I'll get my senior cuppa coffee at McDonald's or Hardees for $0.59:p.

uh_no
10-17-2014, 09:01 AM
I'll take that score AND I'll get my senior cuppa coffee at McDonald's or Hardees for $0.59:p.

psh. i'll take my free fries at McD's after duke scores 3 touch downs tomorrow.

devildeac
10-17-2014, 09:07 AM

Heck, I'll be happy with a 9-7 win tomorrow, considering the over/under, the defenses involved and the line now down to Duke -1.5:o. And I can still get my $0.59 cuppa Joe with my senior discount :p. Wanna join me?

CameronBlue
10-17-2014, 01:41 PM

I suppose it's how you define a defensive battle, total points, TOP, total yards. Let's keep it simple and go with total points scored < 40 or thereabouts. A defensive battle favors UVa in my opinion. UVA comes in with a defensive posture, Duke with an offensive posture, though Duke's defense is vastly improved and improving game by game. The more compelling and determinative matchup will be Duke's offense vs the UVa defense. The unit that wins that battle will determine the outcome. UVa wins if it can keep Duke to 23 points or less. I believe the Duke defense can and will limit the UVa offensve to around 24 points but that's probably the lower bound. Duke wins if can put up 24 points or more. Duke 30-22.

uh_no
10-17-2014, 01:59 PM
I suppose it's how you define a defensive battle, total points, TOP, total yards. Let's keep it simple and go with total points scored < 40 or thereabouts. A defensive battle favors UVa in my opinion. UVA comes in with a defensive posture, Duke with an offensive posture, though Duke's defense is vastly improved and improving game by game. The more compelling and determinative matchup will be Duke's offense vs the UVa defense. The unit that wins that battle will determine the outcome. UVa wins if it can keep Duke to 23 points or less. I believe the Duke defense can and will limit the UVa offensve to around 24 points but that's probably the lower bound. Duke wins if can put up 24 points or more. Duke 30-22.

Why would that be the case? we had GT at 12 until they switched schema, and even then, they barely cracked 24. Why should we expect UVA to do better?

CameronBlue
10-17-2014, 02:29 PM
Why would that be the case? we had GT at 12 until they switched schema, and even then, they barely cracked 24. Why should we expect UVA to do better?

Well aside from what my arthritic knees were telling me this morning, 24 points is about what UVa has been averaging against comparable and arguably better teams: 20 against UCLA in a loss, 23 against Pittsburgh, 24 against L-ville, both wins. Duke was focused on GT's running game and while GT has a more productive offense overall, it's one-dimensional by comparison to UVa which is more opportunistic and balanced (220 ypg pass, 177 ypg rush). Because Duke's safeties are drop-dead excellent and its defensive backs handle single coverage well Duke was able to attack the running game with its linebackers and safeties and GT just doesn't execute well when forced away from its run-oriented triple option. More to the point there were fewer offensive possessions in the Tech game for obvious reasons (Each team had 4 during the first half excluding one time-limited possession for Duke), than I think you'll see on Saturday against Va. More possessions favor more scoring generally and also favor more opportunistic teams.

91_92_01_10_15
10-17-2014, 09:22 PM
Blackout Map:
http://espngameplan.espn.com/images/maps/10-18-14_Virginia___Duke.jpg

Affiliates again:
http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail/acc-network-affiliates-october-18-virginia-at-duke-2014-10-06

Area in Black:

Area in Green:
-ESPN3
-ESPN GamePlan

Compared to last week, we lose one station and gain three others. That pushes the television household count over 90 million and 80% covering more than 120 markets.

The affiliate in Wilmington, NC is currently listing a NASCAR truck race instead of the game. Grrr.

brickey
10-17-2014, 11:47 PM
Don't fret if we find ourselves down at the half -- Coach Cut has proven adept at adjusting to Mike London's schemes.

Most everyone recalls last year's incredible comeback victory, but does anyone remember the halftime score of the game one year earlier in Durham? 17-14. Final score? 17-42. (I'd long forgotten both of these facts myself.) So if my maths are correct, we've hung a total of 56 points on the Hoos after halftimes of the past two games. Perhaps more importantly, we've also held the Hoos scoreless during the same timeframes.

I love our coach for everything he does off the field, but that's just awesome right there.

No better time to get back to finishing strong than tomorrow agains the Wahoos.

gep
10-18-2014, 01:06 AM
Don't fret if we find ourselves down at the half -- Coach Cut has proven adept at adjusting to Mike London's schemes.

Most everyone recalls last year's incredible comeback victory, but does anyone remember the halftime score of the game one year earlier in Durham? 17-14. Final score? 17-42. (I'd long forgotten both of these facts myself.) So if my maths are correct, we've hung a total of 56 points on the Hoos after halftimes of the past two games. Perhaps more importantly, we've also held the Hoos scoreless during the same timeframes.

I love our coach for everything he does off the field, but that's just awesome right there.

No better time to get back to finishing strong than tomorrow agains the Wahoos.

Interesting... a few years ago, if Duke was trailing at halftime, I mostly felt that it was "over". But in the past couple of years, I had real hope that Duke will pull out a win. As they say, Duke found out "how to win". I enjoy the second half comebacks... but as an old fan, I would prefer a large lead at the half, and cruise to victory. But maybe in the grand scheme/big picture, finishing strong and pulling out a win is much more valuable for the team to get used to... so when those bowl games come around, they will be READY.

GO DUKE!!!!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-18-2014, 07:00 AM
Interesting... a few years ago, if Duke was trailing at halftime, I mostly felt that it was "over". But in the past couple of years, I had real hope that Duke will pull out a win. As they say, Duke found out "how to win". I enjoy the second half comebacks... but as an old fan, I would prefer a large lead at the half, and cruise to victory. But maybe in the grand scheme/big picture, finishing strong and pulling out a win is much more valuable for the team to get used to... so when those bowl games come around, they will be READY.

GO DUKE!!!!

As a very casual observer of Duke football, I have noticed in the last few years that Duke seems to make excellent halftime adjustments. Coach Cut and his staff appear to be excellent at analyzing opponents' tendencies and exploiting them during the break.

I don't have the stats to back this up, and it would also be skewed by "garbage time" points on either side of the ball, but it sure feels like Duke has become a second half team when challenged early. And I feel ALL credit for that goes to the coaching staff. Okay, well, 80%.

Reilly
10-18-2014, 09:28 AM
Gameday. Fight, fight Blue Devils .....

bbosbbos
10-18-2014, 10:09 AM
I am ready for the game now. Go Duke! :):):)

Gameday. Fight, fight Blue Devils .....

duke blue brewcrew
10-18-2014, 12:34 PM
I am watching the game on the ACC Network. An early pan of the crowd would suggest a lot of fans showed up dressed as empty seats. It's HOMECOMING! Come on Blue Devils!

arnie
10-18-2014, 12:43 PM
I am watching the game on the ACC Network. An early pan of the crowd would suggest a lot of fans showed up dressed as empty seats. It's HOMECOMING! Come on Blue Devils!

Great start!

bbosbbos
10-18-2014, 12:43 PM
wow, what a fumble and a sweet TD. Go Duke!

duke blue brewcrew
10-18-2014, 12:45 PM
wow, what a fumble and a sweet TD. Go Duke!

Duke couldn't have asked for a better start to this game. BONUS - they start the second half w/ the ball - thank you UVA!

duke blue brewcrew
10-18-2014, 01:05 PM
The one player Duke can't afford to lose moving forward - Jeremy Cash! I hope he's OK, but I'm not encouraged watching him get treatment on the bench. I hope it's nothing serious and he's able to shake it off.

grossbus
10-18-2014, 01:06 PM
Cash hurt. Looks to be knee. Body language on sideline not good.

Loss would be major.

duke blue brewcrew
10-18-2014, 01:21 PM
Cash hurt. Looks to be knee. Body language on sideline not good.

Loss would be major.

Cash is back in the game, much to my surprise. Let's see how he performs.

bbosbbos
10-18-2014, 01:27 PM
UVA is quite good on both ends.

SharkD
10-18-2014, 01:39 PM

Wallace Wade is probably at 25,000, right now, judging from my seat in section 9.

duke blue brewcrew
10-18-2014, 01:44 PM
Wallace Wade is probably at 25,000, right now, judging from my seat in section 9.

What percentage are UVA fans?

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-18-2014, 01:48 PM
I get that we are trying to get off quick plays but yet again it feels like we're getting too conservative. Not mixing it up on the pass game like we did at start of game. Hmmmm...

duke blue brewcrew
10-18-2014, 01:52 PM
I get that we are trying to get off quick plays but yet again it feels like we're getting too conservative. Not mixing it up on the pass game like we did at start of game. Hmmmm...

Agreed. Duke looked proficient and kept UVA on their heels in the 1st qtr., but have looked very unbalanced, rushed and more predictable in the 2nd.

riverside6
10-18-2014, 02:08 PM
Halftime stats/Live stats for Duke/Virginia here...

http://www.scacchoops.com/virginia-at-duke-football-live-stats-10182014

duke blue brewcrew
10-18-2014, 02:17 PM
Halftime stats/Live stats for Duke/Virginia here...

http://www.scacchoops.com/virginia-at-duke-football-live-stats-10182014

Love this link, thanks for sharing

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-18-2014, 02:25 PM
Kinda ugly in the red zone today.

bbosbbos
10-18-2014, 02:27 PM
Good plays ended with a FG, very disappointed.

Kinda ugly in the red zone today.

grossbus
10-18-2014, 02:31 PM
Defense getting gashed.

At least we keep them out of the end zone.

Need to score TD in this possession.

duke blue brewcrew
10-18-2014, 02:35 PM
Defense getting gashed.

At least we keep them out of the end zone.

Need to score TD in this possession.

This bend but don't break defense is giving me an ulcer

grossbus
10-18-2014, 02:38 PM
Shouldn't wilson be getting some run?

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-18-2014, 02:41 PM
We are too in love with the WR screen. Don't get it.

grossbus
10-18-2014, 02:41 PM
Boone not sharpe today.

grossbus
10-18-2014, 02:42 PM
We are too in love with the WR screen. Don't get it.

Agree. Drives me nutz.

subzero02
10-18-2014, 02:44 PM
A turnover would be nice... An interception

duke blue brewcrew
10-18-2014, 02:49 PM
Boone not sharpe today.

He keeps missing high to his receivers. He made a horrible read on 3rd&5, completely missed Snead in the flats and went for Crowder in double coverage. SMH

arnie
10-18-2014, 02:56 PM
He keeps missing high to his receivers. He made a horrible read on 3rd&5, completely missed Snead in the flats and went for Crowder in double coverage. SMH

Actually believe UVA is simply a better team. But with one quarter left we have a fair chance of winning.

grossbus
10-18-2014, 02:59 PM
This team very up and down. Terrific last week. Not so much today or against the U.

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-18-2014, 02:59 PM
Actually believe UVA is simply a better team. But with one quarter left we have a fair chance of winning.
Gotta make some more strong defensive plays here.

grossbus
10-18-2014, 03:02 PM
Need pressure now

duke blue brewcrew
10-18-2014, 03:06 PM

Our D stepped up to the plate to give us a chance here in the 4th. The O has to step up to the plate and execute. We need to get back to the 1st and early 3rd Qtr successes coming down the stretch

bbosbbos
10-18-2014, 03:08 PM
I think it is time to sub our QB.

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-18-2014, 03:09 PM
Wow. Offense is bad bad bad.

mattman91
10-18-2014, 03:09 PM
Boone seems to think the dirt is a receiver.

duke blue brewcrew
10-18-2014, 03:11 PM
I think it is time to sub our QB.

I'm not sure Sirk is ready for a moment like this. Regrettably Boone is way off his game. Crowder has not been the sure handed receiver this year that he has for the first 3 years of his career. I wonder if the pressure/distraction of setting ACC records has impacted his performance.

arnie
10-18-2014, 03:11 PM
Boone seems to think the dirt is a receiver.. D can't hold much longer. Need a capable Boone next possession.

duke blue brewcrew
10-18-2014, 03:14 PM
Duke really needs the Cheetahs to make a play here. A pick-6 would be massive!

Zeb
10-18-2014, 03:15 PM
We need to give the running game a chance like we did on the opening drive of the 2nd half. We're passing too much on 2nd and 3rd down.

duke blue brewcrew
10-18-2014, 03:18 PM
We need to give the running game a chance like we did on the opening drive of the 2nd half. We're passing too much on 2nd and 3rd down.

to your point, enter Shaq Powell!

Zeb
10-18-2014, 03:20 PM
to your point, enter Shaq Powell!

3rd and 3 and we ran it. Hooray!

duke blue brewcrew
10-18-2014, 03:21 PM
I was completely fooled!

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-18-2014, 03:22 PM
Powell with monster heart on that drive!

Mabdul Doobakus
10-18-2014, 03:22 PM
Yeah, the Boone keeper totally had me fooled.

Sirk with the jump pass. Offense comes alive at the right time.

arnie
10-18-2014, 03:23 PM
Powell with monster heart on that drive!

Needed that! Like the play calling.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-18-2014, 03:23 PM
Great drive. Good play calling great execution good legs. Love it.

Mabdul Doobakus
10-18-2014, 03:30 PM
Wow, my local TV station cut away from the game to show Texas A&M. Boo.

bbosbbos
10-18-2014, 03:32 PM
very nervous

arnie
10-18-2014, 03:36 PM
very nervous

Great DDD

subzero02
10-18-2014, 03:41 PM
We should've run more time off the clock before punting... Unreal

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-18-2014, 03:44 PM
Heart!

arnie
10-18-2014, 03:45 PM

Great win - no mistakes and a very smart plan on both sides.

duke blue brewcrew
10-18-2014, 03:45 PM
Survive and advance baby!!! Hard fought win, I'm proud of our D for the late stops and our O was able to convert late when we needed them most!

dukelifer
10-18-2014, 03:52 PM
This team has learned how to win. That is a big change from years past. Have to give Cut props for changing the mindset.

Mabdul Doobakus
10-18-2014, 03:56 PM
Decent chance we'll be ranked again this week.

At the moment, four teams tied at the top of the Coastal at 2-1 (Duke, Georgia Tech, Virginia, Pittsburgh). We've beaten two of those teams. We're at Pittsburgh in two weeks. Georgia Tech is still to play tonight. I know it's tough to accept, but we should probably be pulling for UNC to beat Georgia Tech tonight.

Dev11
10-18-2014, 03:58 PM
Third season in a row we're bowl eligible in October, and once again, we made the plays in the fourth quarter to seal the win. We didn't look sharp on offense most of the afternoon, but the defense locked down late.

There were a few mistakes that will be crucial to fix this week heading into the home stretch of the regular season.

TruBlu
10-18-2014, 04:02 PM
Great, but ugly, win today. I'll take an ugly win over an ugly loss any day.

Here's wishing UVA a great week of practice and a great game next week.

75Crazie
10-18-2014, 04:13 PM
I have become a big fan of the run-by-committee approach of the past 2-3 years. A key aspect of this game was having a rested Shaq Powell ploughing through a tiring UVA defensive front on that last touchdown drive.

I know it's tough to accept, but we should probably be pulling for UNC to beat Georgia Tech tonight.
Um ... no.

Henderson
10-18-2014, 04:31 PM
I know it's tough to accept, but we should probably be pulling for UNC to beat Georgia Tech tonight.

Interesting gut check. Duke would benefit a bit from a UNC win tonight. But would that be enough for me to hope UNC-CH wins?

No.

9F.

Dev11
10-18-2014, 04:33 PM
Interesting gut check. Duke would benefit a bit from a UNC win tonight. But would that be enough for me to hope UNC-CH wins?

No.

9F.

Even if Georgia Tech wins, we still control our own destiny in the Coastal.

GTHC

allenmurray
10-18-2014, 04:46 PM
Decent chance we'll be ranked again this week.

At the moment, four teams tied at the top of the Coastal at 2-1 (Duke, Georgia Tech, Virginia, Pittsburgh). We've beaten two of those teams. We're at Pittsburgh in two weeks. Georgia Tech is still to play tonight. I know it's tough to accept, but we should probably be pulling for UNC to beat Georgia Tech tonight.

Never

loran16
10-18-2014, 04:47 PM
Awesome victory, bowl eligible and well deserved. UVA is actually a solid team this year, and Duke took care of business.

Game Ball should go to the Offensive Line. UVA averaged just under 4 sacks per game going into this contest. We had 4 sacks allowed all year. 0 today. Virginia allowed 2.7 Yards per carry going into this game. Thanks to the O Line, and of course Powell and Boone, Duke averaged over 5 today. Just excellent job. The D held about as much as normal, but it was the O that neutralized Virginia's biggest threat and allowed us to never give UVA an easy field position.

fuse
10-18-2014, 04:52 PM
Satisfying win? Absolutely!

Nerve wracking? Yes, that, too.

I am sure there is a quality of competition aspect that drives my next observation.
We seem to be struggling on both sides of the ball.
The last few seasons, for the most part we got better as the year progressed.
We seem to be stalling in making that next step forward.

I can honestly say I never thought I'd see Duke football as a competitive program. I couldn't be more thrilled with the continued rise of Duke football.

Great, hard fought win today. Go Duke!

Mabdul Doobakus
10-18-2014, 05:13 PM
There has to be some situation where you people* would root for UNC, even if it's understandably not tonight. If it were the last game of the season, and a UNC victory meant Duke would win the Coastal, I have to think that some folks would change your tune. You might hate yourselves the next morning, but I think you'd get over it eventually.

*-One of my favorite pub trivia names is "You People". It affords the opportunity to yell out "What do you mean you people?!?" every time they announce the standings. I highly recommend it.

Reilly
10-18-2014, 05:14 PM
Bob Green nailed it with saying he'd bet the under. Looked like an NFL game -- both teams punting from the 40-ish of their opponent.

Mabdul Doobakus
10-18-2014, 05:15 PM
Virginia, by the way, just looking at their schedule, is done. They needed to win today to have a shot at the Coastal.

arnie
10-18-2014, 05:19 PM
There has to be some situation where you people* would root for UNC, even if it's understandably not tonight. If it were the last game of the season, and a UNC victory meant Duke would win the Coastal, I have to think that some folks would change your tune. You might hate yourselves the next morning, but I think you'd get over it eventually.

Would only pull for heels in that situation if their win didn't put em in a bowl. Must be an inconsequential game for them.

neuro
10-18-2014, 05:27 PM

No.

9F.

Would Duke REALLY benefit all that much? Yes, it gives a loss to one of teams currently in the running to win the coastal. But GT is a team we've beaten and would win a tie breaker over, right? And if UNC keeps winning, then well, that would stink.

I will gladly root for UNC if it helps Duke. But does a UNC win today REALLY help duke all that much? Isn't it kind of a baby-maybe-sorta helps us kind of help? Please give me a reason to root for a UNC demolition with a clean conscious (because the game doesn't matter all that much to Duke's future). Please?

uh_no
10-18-2014, 05:49 PM
since i must extract negatives out of a good win:

1) the stagnant offense for most of the day....especially the big 3 and outs...ESPECIALLY on the last drive where we then had to punt it back to UVA. The playcalling, I thought, was deficient as the miami game. we were beating them at what they were best at....we averaged 5+ypc....and yet we passed 38 times vs 30 runs. To be fair, the run number was quite skew right, so there were a lot of runs for little gain (1-2 yds). I haven't looked at it yet, but it seems we still pass on first down like it is the 11th commandment.
2) Sirk != connette....we can't just put him in and hope he runs it in when <5yds to go to goal. we're going to have to, and we did with the pass for the late TD. we need to continue to ensure that teams respect the sirk pass....or else we'll have to get used to 20 yd FGs when we should have 7.
3) defensive collapses on third down....some for big gains....it seemed that UVA's entire first TD drive was on third down. further, we went some 25 minutes at one point without forcing a UVA punt. gotta get off the field.

good? we can run the ball against anyone. we control our destiny in the division, and we hung in there when the offense was not on its A game and pulled it out, unlike at the U

burnspbesq
10-18-2014, 06:01 PM
I'm happy it as at home too, let's prove WW can be a formidable place to play! This game has so much riding on it, I truly hope the Duke fans turn out. UVA is going to travel well to watch this one, I think.

They better not bring their LAX guys on the field, too! We can only play one team at once. ;)

When they tried that unsuccessful jet-sweep pass-option play in the fourth quarter, my comment in the chatroom i was in was "just because you're wearing number 6 doesn't mean you can feed like Stanwick."

We would have been OK if the sticks had come out. Redshirt freshman GK Danny Fowler plays on special teams. And we'll be OK for a while. We've got two good football/lax guys, the Giles-Harris brothers from St. Joseph Regional in NJ, coming in the next two years.

richardjackson199
10-18-2014, 06:12 PM
I like gameball to offensive line. Personally I'd give game ball to the defense. They were awesome in the 2nd half against a tough offense. UVA was trying to pick on Borders, and he played better in the 2nd half. Cash, Helton, France, Edwards, Brown, Singleton, and our whole defense were studs every time we needed them when game was on the line.

Boone was off today, but the team played the whole game like winners - like they expected to win. Boone was off, but the offense played with poise and avoided turnovers. So great to see Duke football play like this on Homecoming. I'm thrilled to be bowl eligible after 7 games. Great day to be a Duke football fan.

peloton
10-18-2014, 06:28 PM
First let me preface this by saying I'll try to keep this coherent but if I don't succeed, bear with me. We're on our annual trip to Lake Martin, AL in the heart of SEC country visiting an ex-co-worker who lived in NC for a few years while his wife went to UNC law school. Not only that, but pretty much the entire group that makes this trip to AL attended Ewe-in-Sea. CB&B, Ozzie, DevilDeac, etc. - please don't think any less of me - I have not...I repeat...have not, gone to The Dark Side.

Even being down here in Alabammy I could not forget about my Blue Devils. As soon as we got back from a rather long boat trip to Chuck's Marina (a great place here on Lake Martin I might say, and consider this a shameless plug), I had to check on the Duke/UVa score. I just found out about 45 mins or so that we prevailed over the Cavs 20-13. Let me say that between being here at Lake Martin, having a few adult beverages, being with good friends (even if they do pull for the wrong shade of blue), and finding out that our guys won today and are now bowl eligible, it's been a great weekend (no matter what happens at this point). Of course, the only thing that will make this weekend a bit more enjoyable is if the hapless Heels lose to GT. Way to go Blue Devils and I can't wait to read more about the goings on during the game when I get back to NC. From the score though, it sounds like neither team played up to their potential. But as we're prone to chant at basketball games, "it just doesn't matter!" when the opposing team has done something which doesn't affect the eventual outcome of the game, I don't care...we won the game and I'm a happy Duke fan. Congrats to Coach Cut and the team!

johnb
10-18-2014, 06:49 PM
I don't use the word "ugly" to describe any Duke win.

6-1 is awesome.

Sure, it'd be nice if Boone could pass more accurately, but that's never been one of his strengths. Other than that, I thought we played really well. As for play calling, I thought it was generally strong. I didn't notice a pass/run imbalance, and if we count short passes as runs, we had way more runs than passes.

I like game ball to O line, but if we're honoring positions rather than players, I our safeties could also deserve kudos, as could the running backs, who are solid.

Our lack of penalties, btw, seems related to our 4th quarter success. Both are related to discipline and fitness--we used to lose those last-minute games and often had sloppy penalties. No longer.

All hail the coach!

Newton_14
10-18-2014, 07:03 PM

Not true. Very good crowd today. Best in a long time and they stayed till the end. It had to be pushing 28K+.

duke blue brewcrew
10-18-2014, 07:28 PM
Not true. Very good crowd today. Best in a long time and they stayed till the end. It had to be pushing 28K+.

It sounds like you were at the game. TV angles were not kind, that's for sure. The endzone section wasn't full and the visitors side appeared sparse...lots of empty blue seats. The Home side looked great. I'm in Atlanta and wasn't able to attend the game. Others at the game commented a guess of 25k. I've seen much bigger crowds at Duke games, that's for sure.

Newton_14
10-18-2014, 07:31 PM

Actually we ran the maximum amount of time off the clock possible there. Ran the game clock down to zero before calling timeout on 3rd and 4th down which took it down to 30 seconds. UVA used their 1 and final timeout during that possession. We maxed the clock.

So as I said above, the crowd was actually large and really good today. No where close to a normal day of empty sections all around. With the folks who watched from the shade on the concourse it actually may have been closer to 30K. Most folks since the last unc home game.

We started out strong and sharp but then became really flat and putrid on offense. It was a combination of terrible play calling and Boone having his worst game in a very long time. As bad as he was in the 2nd and 3rd quarter it made me realize Sirk is not ready to run the offense. Connette would have played a lot of QB today were he still here. Throws were way high for a long spurt then he over rotated and started throwing way short. We could have won this game by 17 if Boone had been on or if we had run more. I was screaming run the dang ball all day. I thought we gave them way too much credit for their run defense. When we started running finally down after down, we had a lot of success.

With as bad as the offense was, people should really be praising the defense. Those guys were awesome. Yes UVA had too much success on 3rd down but a lot of those were 3rd and short, and their QB was on the money all day with his throws, hitting receivers right in between the numbers. The only area he failed out was with the deep ball. He missed badly on those all day. Despite all of that and despite our offense being putrid most of the day forcing the defense to stay on the field far too often, they only gave up 10 points in the first half and 3 in the 2nd half. That's good defense no matter how you look at it. Helton and our guy mr everywhere 16 Jeremy Cash were making play after play. The DB's broke up lots of passes, and the D Line got decent pressure on the QB in 3 and 4 man rush, while keeping the run game under control.

A win we as Duke fans should be darn proud of. How many times in 30 years have we had a game where our offense struggled and was way off their games, have we come away with a conference win against a good team? (And UVA is for real and a fine football team)? Not often.

Long way to go, but if we can get the offensive issues corrected, this team has a great chance to win 10 or 11 Regular Season games and move up into the top 15-20 in the country. How long has it been since that opportunity was on the table? Not in my lifetime certainly, and I am 48 years old.

Bonus Point: Stood right beside Jay Bilas for a minute. Did not speak to him as he was engaged in conversation and I did not want to be rude. Great seeing him there at a Football game though.

On to Pitt! Go Duke!!

cato

No we shouldn't. The benefits of a GT loss will be what we console ourselves with if UNC wins.

richardjackson199

6-1 is awesome.

Sure, it'd be nice if Boone could pass more accurately, but that's never been one of his strengths. Other than that, I thought we played really well. As for play calling, I thought it was generally strong. I didn't notice a pass/run imbalance, and if we count short passes as runs, we had way more runs than passes.

I like game ball to O line, but if we're honoring positions rather than players, I our safeties could also deserve kudos, as could the running backs, who are solid.

Our lack of penalties, btw, seems related to our 4th quarter success. Both are related to discipline and fitness--we used to lose those last-minute games and often had sloppy penalties. No longer.

All hail the coach!

I'm not worried about Boone, and I'm thrilled to have him as quarterback. I saw what he can do last year against Texas A & M and others. Boone, Crowder, and our passing game will be fine. They just need to keep working on timing. With our O-line and running game, we'll have opportunities for plenty of good pass plays. I know they'll execute.

Great win, and I know we'll keep getting better to accomplish some more goals.

roywhite
10-18-2014, 07:35 PM

Great win - no mistakes and a very smart plan on both sides.

Great, but ugly, win today. I'll take an ugly win over an ugly loss any day.

6-1 is awesome.

All hail the coach!

Bob Green -- pretty good prediction; I'd buy you that cup of coffee.

I'm with arnie and johnb here on the beauty of winning by playing Cut-ball. Yeah, it's not fancy, but the team plays with poise, makes very few mistakes, and makes key plays in winning time. 0 turnovers, 0 sacks allowed, not many penalties, really solid special teams = a win in a key conference game.

Bob Green
10-18-2014, 09:20 PM
Bob Green -- pretty good prediction; I'd buy you that cup of coffee.

Thank you!

Here is a Turtle
10-18-2014, 09:22 PM
Just stopped by to say thank you for beating UVA. Always makes me smile when they lose.

richardjackson199
10-18-2014, 09:57 PM
Just read Jim Sumner's excellent analysis on the front page. As stated previously, I agree with Newton above - our defensive studs saved the day. But give a game ball to Shaq Powell - what a beast. Sounds like the team felt that way in the locker room.

CameronBornAndBred
10-18-2014, 10:03 PM
Game thoughts tomorrow after some rest, just a quick thank you to all those that stopped by for another amazing tailgate. Great day, great game. Now to wonder where and what date. Wooohooo!

duketaylor
10-18-2014, 10:41 PM
Bob Green, not sure if you had some of the porter I brought, if so, then "I'd buy you that cup of coffee," then u had some;) Somehow, I don't think you did.

As for Chris, er, CB&B, get some rest and thanks, excellent as usual. Glad I had a chance to know some of you guys a little better today. CT

SharkD
10-18-2014, 11:01 PM

You tell me.

http://portfolio.thephotosmith.com/photos/i-3PMxMbW/0/L/i-3PMxMbW-L.jpg (http://portfolio.thephotosmith.com/Other/Wallace-Wade/n-3vTWp/i-3PMxMbW/A)
(click to embiggen, then choose "original" to see the full 7mb panorama)

duke blue brewcrew
10-18-2014, 11:40 PM
You tell me.

http://portfolio.thephotosmith.com/photos/i-3PMxMbW/0/L/i-3PMxMbW-L.jpg (http://portfolio.thephotosmith.com/Other/Wallace-Wade/n-3vTWp/i-3PMxMbW/A)
(click to embiggen, then choose "original" to see the full 7mb panorama)

If you get a chance to watch a replay of the game and see the opening pan shots of the crowd, you'll see why I posted my original comments. I'm happy to see a lot of Duke Blue in that picture. I want nothing more than to see the football team experience the passionate fan base that the basketball team enjoys. The shots I'm referencing were not flattering what so ever.

devildeac
10-18-2014, 11:52 PM

We tried. We were fortunate the 'hoos kinda/sorta wasted 2 TO earlier in the half when they executed poorly out of each one of those (Our D did help some but one was just a bad play by uva-a pass 2-3 yds short of a receiver. Oh, never mind, our D played superbly out of both their TOs:D.). They used their last TO after our first run and we just failed to pick up the first down on either of our next two runs, calling 2 TOs ourselves as the play clock hit 0 after each run. I think we punted with 0:33 left in the game, pinned them fairly deep, and they started their drive with about 0:25 left in the game. A first down would have taken care of that but I think we were 2-3 yards short and it would have given them too good a start for their drive had we gone for it on 4th down and failed.

westwall
10-18-2014, 11:53 PM
Just stopped by to say thank you for beating UVA. Always makes me smile when they lose.

Stop by any time --- you are an alum -- and congrats on the win over Iowa.

devildeac
10-19-2014, 12:06 AM

Heck, I'll be happy with a 9-7 win tomorrow, considering the over/under, the defenses involved and the line now down to Duke -1.5:o. And I can still get my $0.59 cuppa Joe with my senior discount :p. Wanna join me?

(Cough, cough)

You may go hungry tomorrow. However, Bob and I will not go thirsty as he spends his $2.25 for his coffee and I head to Hardees or McDonalds for my senior $0.59 12 ounce morning beverage (with a free refill or two).;)

OZ
10-19-2014, 12:24 AM

Not quite sure to what you are referring. If you are referring to the last time we had possession of the ball....watch the tape. We RAN three plays and took the MAXIMUM amount of time...calling a TO with one second left, on the play timer, after the last two plays. We took ALL of the possible time...short of making a first down. How do you suggest we could have "run more before punting" in that situation?

OZ
10-19-2014, 12:34 AM
since i must extract negatives out of a good win: ESPECIALLY on the last drive where we then had to punt it back to UVA.

Since "you must..." On that last drive, given the circumstances, what different plays would you have called.

"further, we went some 25 minutes at one point without forcing a UVA punt. gotta get off the field."

I am not doubting the accuracy of this statement; but, just when was that? I do not recall it.

brevity
10-19-2014, 02:12 AM
There could be a tiny bit of drama as to whether Duke will be ranked in the Top 25 after the win over Virginia...

1. AP ranked teams that lost: #4 Baylor, #5 Notre Dame, #11 Oklahoma, #15 Oklahoma State, #21 Texas A&M, and #23 Stanford. Of these 6, only the last two are in any real danger of dropping out of the Top 25. (The same 25 teams are in the USA Today poll, in a slightly different order.)

2. #31 West Virginia, who beat Baylor, will certainly leapfrog #28 Duke and be one of the 2 newcomers. They are 5-2 with losses to Alabama and Oklahoma.

3. Here are some contenders for that last opening.

#26 UCLA won 36-34 at California
#27 LSU won 41-3 at home vs. #30 Kentucky
#28 Duke won 20-13 at home vs. #40 Virginia
#29 Minnesota won 39-38 at home vs. Purdue
#30 Kentucky lost
#31 West Virginia won 41-27 at home vs. #4 Baylor
#32 Washington lost
#33 Georgia Tech lost

While it would be nice to see Duke replace Stanford in the Top 25, I would guess that the collective vote will swap out one SEC West team (Texas A&M) for another (LSU). LSU is 5-2 with losses to Mississippi State and Auburn.

I should point out that LSU's best wins (Wisconsin and Kentucky) are equivalent to Duke's best wins (Virginia and Georgia Tech), based on where those 4 opponents are now.

Jim3k
10-19-2014, 05:28 AM
“It may not appear like we played a great football game,” Cutcliffe said. “But maybe what I just described to you is a great football game.”

(http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/10/18/5250672/duke-fends-off-virginia-for-20.html#.VEOCH-eAStw)

Bob Green
10-19-2014, 09:07 AM
The defense is ranked #5 in the nation at 15.1 points per game.

1. Ole Miss -10.6
2. Stanford - 12.3
3. Alabama - 13.1
4. Louisville - 14.6
5. Duke - 15.1

Yesterday was a great afternoon in Wallace Wade Stadium. Duke made the plays they had to make, when they had to make them, to win the game. The crowd was very loud during crucial Virginia 3rd and 4th down plays in the 4th Quarter. As far as the negative comments on attendance, a lot of fans arrived late during the first few minutes of the game instead of the last few minutes before kick off, but the attendance yesterday was very good.

Through seven games, the running game is averaging 218 yards per game. Maintaining a solid run/pass mix is mandatory; however, achieving success running the ball is winning games for us. After running for only 49 yards in the 1st half, the team finished with 155 against a strong run defense that had been giving up only 91 yards per game.

OZ
10-19-2014, 10:02 AM
According to GoDuke.com 28,131

nyesq83
10-19-2014, 12:31 PM
I was there for the Devil Walk and saw Cut leading the charge. So proud of this team and each player.

We were vocal (for a Duke crowd) when it was important and I think it helped the defense maintain intensity.

Late in the game the Hoos were taking long huddles and I though it was to make our D stand around, in order to force impatience or fatigue, but it also may have been that Virginia's O-Line needed the rest.

Olympic Fan
10-19-2014, 12:43 PM
The defense is ranked #5 in the nation at 15.1 points per game.

1. Ole Miss -10.6
2. Stanford - 12.3
3. Alabama - 13.1
4. Louisville - 14.6
5. Duke - 15.1

Yesterday was a great afternoon in Wallace Wade Stadium. Duke made the plays they had to make, when they had to make them, to win the game. The crowd was very loud during crucial Virginia 3rd and 4th down plays in the 4th Quarter. As far as the negative comments on attendance, a lot of fans arrived late during the first few minutes of the game instead of the last few minutes before kick off, but the attendance yesterday was very good.

Through seven games, the running game is averaging 218 yards per game. Maintaining a solid run/pass mix is mandatory; however, achieving success running the ball is winning games for us. After running for only 49 yards in the 1st half, the team finished with 155 against a strong run defense that had been giving up only 91 yards per game.

Those numbers are remarkable for one reason -- measured by yards allow, Duke is a subpar defense. Going into Saturday's game, Duke was 60th nationally in total defense, giving up 386.6 yards a game. And we gave up 465 yards to the Cavs -- and still lowered our points allowed average. I'd like to see the total defense rank of the four teams ahead of us in scoring defense. I know the Louisville actually No. 1 in that category going into the weekend (but they did give up a lot of yards to NC State). Let me say, scoring is the name of the game, so I'll take our numbers any day over the reverse.

BTW, I don't get the view that Saturday's game was ugly. It was close and hard fought and not a rout ... yes. But it was a beautifully played game on both sides of the ball.

For Duke -- no turnovers against the top takeaway team in the ACC. No sacks (Boone was NEVER put on the ground in a passing situation) against the ACC's No. 2 sack team. No tackles for loss (we lost yardage on one play -- when he botched a reverse). Just three penalties (and one of those -- the pass interference -- was bogus). And 155 yards rushing (and 5.2 yards a carry) against the nation's No. 6 rushing defense. We were perfect in the kicking game -- both placekicks, extra points, kickoffs and coverage.

And let me add one more thing -- 10 pass breakups by our secondary. Cut said that off the top of his head, that's the highest we've had since he's been at Duke.

To me, that was a beautiful game.

And Virginia did some things very well too -- just one turnover ... six penalties. They moved the ball well. They were nearly perfect in the kicking game (a missed 52-yard field goal aside). I think the one thing they did VERY well was to tackle our outside guys in space. We were in position to make a ton of big plays and to their credit, they almost always came up with one-on-one tackle in space.

All in all, one of the most well-played games at Duke in many, many years.

J.Blink
10-19-2014, 01:17 PM

I thought attendance was quite good! UVA had their usually strong contingent, but Duke fans were out in force. Here's a panorama I took right before kickoff. Some of stands filled in a bit more during the game (with some emptying at halftime), so this is probably a bit of a low point. It was very nice to see, and the result of the game didn't hurt things! (I think 28k is probably a bit optimistic, though.)

devildeac
10-19-2014, 01:28 PM
“It may not appear like we played a great football game,” Cutcliffe said. “But maybe what I just described to you is a great football game.”

(http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/10/18/5250672/duke-fends-off-virginia-for-20.html#.VEOCH-eAStw)

I read that in the Raleigh N&O this am. Tough to argue with that logic/statement.

devildeac
10-19-2014, 01:37 PM

Sounds/looks like a reasonable count. And, to answer a question from up thread, I'll guess 2000 UVa fans max as they occupied a lot of seats in sections 1-3 with a few scattered throughout the rest of WW. I'll echo Bob Green's comments from above that our fans were loud many times on crucial 3rd down plays when the 'Hoos had the ball.

uh_no
10-19-2014, 01:56 PM
I thought attendance was quite good! UVA had their usually strong contingent, but Duke fans were out in force. Here's a panorama I took right before kickoff. Some of stands filled in a bit more during the game (with some emptying at halftime), so this is probably a bit of a low point. It was very nice to see, and the result of the game didn't hurt things! (I think 28k is probably a bit optimistic, though.)

If we come back from cuse 8-1...with 3 home games for the division to go....whoahhhh nelly...we gonna see some crowds...VT and UNC ought to bring nice contingents....plus when we hit the rankings, i think people pay just that tad bit more attention.

OZ
10-19-2014, 02:12 PM
Some of stands filled in a bit more during the game (with some emptying at halftime

I think several of those folks on the "visitor's" side moved over to the two end sections on the "Duke" side after the first half. We had some friends who moved there as the sun was rather rough over there. I noticed at the start of the game, the two end sections to our right were basically empty. By the middle of the third quarter, there were quite a few people there.
I also loved the enthusiasm of the crowd. It was great to be able to make some noise... and perhaps, even play a small role in causing Virginia to have that devastating blunder of "delay of game." In any case, we thought so.
It was also good to see a "full" student section. After the game, it was a great sight watching an excited team go directly to the students...

brevity
10-19-2014, 05:17 PM
There could be a tiny bit of drama as to whether Duke will be ranked in the Top 25 after the win over Virginia...

1. AP ranked teams that lost: #4 Baylor, #5 Notre Dame, #11 Oklahoma, #15 Oklahoma State, #21 Texas A&M, and #23 Stanford. Of these 6, only the last two are in any real danger of dropping out of the Top 25. (The same 25 teams are in the USA Today poll, in a slightly different order.)

2. #31 West Virginia, who beat Baylor, will certainly leapfrog #28 Duke and be one of the 2 newcomers. They are 5-2 with losses to Alabama and Oklahoma.

3. Here are some contenders for that last opening.

#26 UCLA won 36-34 at California
#27 LSU won 41-3 at home vs. #30 Kentucky
#28 Duke won 20-13 at home vs. #40 Virginia
#29 Minnesota won 39-38 at home vs. Purdue
#30 Kentucky lost
#31 West Virginia won 41-27 at home vs. #4 Baylor
#32 Washington lost
#33 Georgia Tech lost

While it would be nice to see Duke replace Stanford in the Top 25, I would guess that the collective vote will swap out one SEC West team (Texas A&M) for another (LSU). LSU is 5-2 with losses to Mississippi State and Auburn.

I should point out that LSU's best wins (Wisconsin and Kentucky) are equivalent to Duke's best wins (Virginia and Georgia Tech), based on where those 4 opponents are now.

...And I was mostly wrong.

The AP and USA Today polls were aggressively unkind to Oklahoma State (#15 in both last week), kicking them out of the Top 25. Oklahoma State is 5-2, with losses to Florida State and TCU, but admittedly no great wins. That left 3 openings in each poll instead of 2.

I was right about West Virginia, but that was an easy call. I was also right about LSU, but that was no great reach either. The AP voters took UCLA, which is an okay choice, while the USA Today voters took Minnesota, which is head-scratching. Minnesota is 6-1 with its only loss to TCU, but had the least impressive win over the weekend. Maybe it was Big Ten sentimentality (Minnesota is 3-0 in its division, over #16 Nebraska for now), or maybe its win at Michigan still carries some misguided cachet. I'm open to suggestions.

noworries
10-19-2014, 05:29 PM

sections 10-14 in that corner certainly filled up a lot more...certainly had a good time at the game yesterday!

OldPhiKap
10-19-2014, 05:34 PM
I read that in the Raleigh N&O this am. Tough to argue with that logic/statement.

Tried to spork, but alas cannot. The team that makes the fewest mistakes often wins. That's discipline -- which along with conditioning, is the biggest thing that Cut has changed (mechanically) about Duke football.

Wander
10-19-2014, 05:36 PM
The AP voters took UCLA, which is an okay choice, while the USA Today voters took Minnesota, which is head-scratching. Minnesota is 6-1 with its only loss to TCU, but had the least impressive win over the weekend. Maybe it was Big Ten sentimentality (Minnesota is 3-0 in its division, over #16 Nebraska for now), or maybe its win at Michigan still carries some misguided cachet. I'm open to suggestions.

We can't really complain given our atrociously bad schedule. The big difference between Duke and Minnesota is that their loss is far better than ours - @TCU vs @Miami.

Duke and Colorado State are, I believe, the only 1-loss teams that are unranked. But not to worry: we'll definitely be ranked if we beat Pitt, and maybe even get ranked on our bye week next weekend if LSU or UCLA lose.

BTW, I was with you, and surprised how much Oklahoma State dropped - but they play WVU next week, so I imagine the winner is going to stay ahead of us on our bye week.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-19-2014, 06:07 PM
Tried to spork, but alas cannot. The team that makes the fewest mistakes often wins. That's discipline -- which along with conditioning, is the biggest thing that Cut has changed (mechanically) about Duke football.

Two more changes apparent in recent games:
Coach London used up his time outs too early in both halves. Coach Cutcliffe didn't.
Prior to the UVA game, Coach Cutcliffe said that Duke can now adjust the offense to fit the opponent.... this is a huge step forward.

I believe that aside from whatever we may say about the record or the stats, during this season Duke is in the midst of making major moves along the spectrum of program development.

roywhite
10-19-2014, 08:18 PM

And I think that conditioning played a part yesterday also.

Duke looked to be fresher in the 4th quarter. Duke had 9 rushes for 64 yards in the 4th quarter, while UVa had 8 rushes for 21 yards. Virginia's drive after our 4th Quarter TD was 11 plays for 35 yards; that was the extent of their 4th quarter offense except for the 38 yards gained on the last 4 plays of the game. Even on their 11 play drive, they didn't seem to be playing with urgency or sharpness, and I suspect fatigue was part of the reason.

Duke beat a good football team yesterday, and it was a victory for coaching, conditioning, and attention to detail.

alteran
10-19-2014, 08:29 PM

As noted before, TV films the visitors side. I'm not saying attendance couldn't be improved, but this is not fair way to assess attendance, or fan ratios.

I am surprised by how many people critical of attendance don't realize this.

OZ
10-19-2014, 09:37 PM

... and/or do not come to the games.

uh_no
10-19-2014, 10:15 PM
... and/or do not come to the games.

at least the students are out. student section was bumping all game....with some people asking "do they stand the WHOLE game?"

devilnfla
10-19-2014, 10:23 PM
As noted before, TV films the visitors side. I'm not saying attendance couldn't be improved, but this is not fair way to assess attendance, or fan ratios.

I'm surprised we call it the visitors side. How many major programs call 1/2 of their stadium the visitors side. It will be nice when it's just one small section that's reserved for visitors.

duke blue brewcrew
10-19-2014, 10:24 PM

I agree with you and that's not why I asked. Earlier in the week, concerns of well traveled UVA fans packing the stadium were expressed in this thread. So I was curious to know if those concerns were realized. That said, it would be nice to see Duke fans take over the visitors side and max out WW capacity.

OldPhiKap
10-19-2014, 10:25 PM

1. What is the policy regarding tickets that are not used?

2. Can Duke reclaim these and sell/give them away?

I am painfully aware that you are correct. I am also painfully aware that it looks like an empty house on television. If you want to be a real program, on real TV, the house looks packed. We could all argue about the reasons -- but let's jump to the solution.

(Again, not disagreeing -- but we need to fix this problem somehow)

AncientPsychicT
10-19-2014, 10:33 PM
"do they stand the WHOLE game?"

Yes. Well, at least those of us in the front row do.

uh_no
10-19-2014, 11:08 PM
1. What is the policy regarding tickets that are not used?

2. Can Duke reclaim these and sell/give them away?

I am painfully aware that you are correct. I am also painfully aware that it looks like an empty house on television. If you want to be a real program, on real TV, the house looks packed. We could all argue about the reasons -- but let's jump to the solution.

(Again, not disagreeing -- but we need to fix this problem somehow)

"visitors side" is not just tickets for visitors...it's just that half the stadium. The sections for the visiting teams are just the two at the very end of the stadium. The rest of the side was empty because the mid afternoon sun was baking it like a broiler, so many of those patrons stood elsewhere in the shade. In the few minutes i got to see the crowd at the end of the game, it seemed that that side had gotten much more filled, perhaps as the sun got lower in the sky and it cooled slightly.

That said, to the person who questioned "visitors side" it's just a convenient monicker...much like halves of cameron can be referred to as the visitors bench and duke bench sides, or tv/non tv side. i've heard other football stadiums referred to as home and away sides....so i'm not sure it's something we have to move beyond....

orrnot
10-19-2014, 11:16 PM

Our basketball arena's reputation is built in no small part on its peculiar television layout; I suppose it's fitting, unfortunately, that Wade's is too.

SharkD
10-20-2014, 12:02 AM
I'm surprised we call it the visitors side. How many major programs call 1/2 of their stadium the visitors side. It will be nice when it's just one small section that's reserved for visitors.

Sections 1-2 are for visiting team fans.
Sections 4-6 are season tickets.
Sections 7-9 are employee/staff/faculty season tickets.

All around me, in Section 9, were Medical School alumni, most of whom graduated in the mid-1960s and early 1970s; very few of them stuck around past the middle of the third quarter. I can't fault them -- it was sweltering (unlike the home side, we sit in the sun until sunset) and the blue seats are not all that comfortable if you're tall and/or wide.

BigWayne
10-20-2014, 02:50 AM
"visitors side" is not just tickets for visitors...it's just that half the stadium. The sections for the visiting teams are just the two at the very end of the stadium. The rest of the side was empty because the mid afternoon sun was baking it like a broiler, so many of those patrons stood elsewhere in the shade. In the few minutes i got to see the crowd at the end of the game, it seemed that that side had gotten much more filled, perhaps as the sun got lower in the sky and it cooled slightly.

That said, to the person who questioned "visitors side" it's just a convenient monicker...much like halves of cameron can be referred to as the visitors bench and duke bench sides, or tv/non tv side. i've heard other football stadiums referred to as home and away sides....so i'm not sure it's something we have to move beyond....

Yes, that and the fact that the visiting football team is on that side of the field. It's not all about who sits in the stands.

uh_no
10-20-2014, 08:30 AM
Yes, that and the fact that the visiting football team is on that side of the field. It's not all about who sits in the stands.

Right, that's the point. It's simply convenient to have an easy way to reference the two sides. Very much like "open/closed" end of the stadium. I think some people construed "visitors side" to mean "tickets given to the visiting team" which has been pointed out to only be a very small % of seats on the open end of the visitors side.

tux
10-20-2014, 11:05 AM
Sections 1-2 are for visiting team fans.
Sections 4-6 are season tickets.
Sections 7-9 are employee/staff/faculty season tickets.

All around me, in Section 9, were Medical School alumni, most of whom graduated in the mid-1960s and early 1970s; very few of them stuck around past the middle of the third quarter. I can't fault them -- it was sweltering (unlike the home side, we sit in the sun until sunset) and the blue seats are not all that comfortable if you're tall and/or wide.

Instead of just more seats, what we really need is a lot more shaded seats!!! Not sure how to do that. Maybe with an extra $10 million, we can install blue seats that blow cold air up our rears...

tux
10-20-2014, 11:08 AM
Instead of just more seats, what we really need is a lot more shaded seats!!! Not sure how to do that. Maybe with an extra $10 million, we can install blue seats that blow cold air up our rears...

Here we go -> link (http://web-japan.org/niponica/niponica11/en/feature/feature05.html)

CameronBornAndBred
10-20-2014, 11:17 AM
I was laughing when I saw the latest issue of goduke magazine and they had a picture of the new stadium. Beneath the press box, there is a balcony of seats. The seats UNDER that balcony are going to be prized possessions.

sagegrouse
10-20-2014, 11:23 AM

I was laughing when I saw the latest issue of goduke magazine and they had a picture of the new stadium. Beneath the press box, there is a balcony of seats. The seats UNDER that balcony are going to be prized possessions.

Is there something called a "cantilever?" If not, someone should invent it. Seriously, a steep upper deck, protruding over the lower stands, casts a long shadow as afternoon progresses and, because of its steepness, is quickly in shadow itself. I think Duke's upper deck is more about luxury boxes than grandstands, but it should help the west side of the stadium a lot.

Mal
10-20-2014, 01:01 PM
We can't really complain given our atrociously bad schedule. The big difference between Duke and Minnesota is that their loss is far better than ours - @TCU vs @Miami.

Precisely right - I'm sure that now, after TCU just stomped on Oklahoma State, Minnesota's sole loss (on the road; not as close as Duke's loss at Miami, but it never felt like we were going to win that game, and TCU looks like a legit playoff contender) looks even better still. Their wins aren't as good are ours, but on balance it's kind of a tossup. Duke and Minne happen to be the two teams I follow closely, and I'd say they're really quite even. On a neutral field, I'd probably pick the Gophers right now, although I would have gone with Duke three weeks ago. I just have a feeling their straight up the middle, jam it down your throat with a really good RB getting 30 carries rushing offense would give us fits without Kelby Brown, and they've recently developed a significantly improved efficiency in the passing game, especially on play action. Their defensive backfield is a strength, which could take away some of the advantages of having guys like Crowder. If Duke could get playmakers the ball on the edge, or run the option effectively, there are definitely weaknesses to exploit there, however.

In any event, I'm not a big fan of caring about whether we're in the polls or in others receiving votes at this point in the season. Keep winning in the Coastal and things will work out fine. Plus, given where we were pre-Cutcliffe, it's a miracle we're even having this discussion!