PDA

View Full Version : The ACC: Week 7

Bob Green
10-11-2014, 07:05 AM
The four North Carolina schools are a combined 0-7 over the past two weeks. Will the losing streak continue today? Wake Forest has a bye:

Duke at Georgia Tech - there are two immediate questions for this game. Can Duke slow down the GT running game? Will the Blue Devils offense be in sync? Anthony Boone, Jamison Crowder, Josh Snead and Issac Blakeney need to step up and play like the experienced, talented seniors they are. With Shaq Powell injured, will Shaun Wilson see more touches? He needs to!

North Carolina at Notre Dame - there is no way Carolina's defense can stop the Fighting Irish. I don't see Notre Dame hanging 70 on the Tar Heels like ECU did, but this game has the potential to be ugly.

Boston College at N.C. State - which State team shows up? The one that got trounced at Clemson 41-0 or the one that jumped on Florida State early? Same for the Eagles. This is a BC team that beat Southern California but lost to Colorado State.

Florida State at Syracuse - will the Seminoles play like the #1 team in the country? They will not need to but it would be nice for the ACC if they started clicking a little better.

Louisville at Clemson - a tough night for the Cardinals is my prediction. Clemson is a different team, a much better team with the freshman playing quarterback. And DE Vic Beasley leads a tremendously talented defensive line.

It's Saturday morning so I'm up early, drinking coffee and looking forward to another great day of college football. It's going to be a hot wings, spare ribs, bratwurst, cold beer and TV kind of day for me. Let's talk some football.

budwom
10-11-2014, 08:41 AM
with the hot wings, brats, spare ribs and cold beer, make sure the house is well ventilated, Bob. No open flames if you can help it...:p

Every year the GT game is the least enjoyable one for me.....I'm hoping for something better this year, but hardly expecting it.

duketaylor
10-11-2014, 08:59 AM
Good morning Bob (all), mighty dreary here in Central Va, let's hope the sun shines on our guys down in Hotlanta. Are you going tailgating/Brunchgating next week? I'm hoping to be there. Budwom, I'm with you regarding the Jackets, always a tough test for our defense, maybe we see something different today. GO DEVILS!!!

Bob Green
10-11-2014, 10:50 AM
Are you going tailgating/Brunchgating next week? I'm hoping to be there.

I'll be there, hopefully you can make it.

Olympic Fan
10-11-2014, 11:33 AM
Last week was one of the great TV watching experiences of my sports life. This week could be almost as good -- although for the first 3-plus hours I'll be locked into the Duke game.

But the really good national stuff starts at 3:30, especially No. 2 Auburn at No. 3 Miss State and No. 9 TCU at No. 5 Baylor. Obviously, two of the last nine major powers that are unbeaten lose in those two games.

Will there be more unbeaten fall? By my count:

No. 1 FSU at Syracuse, noon -- almost no chance the Seminoles lose this one. The loss of Terrell Hunt killed any chance for the Orange.
North Carolina at No. 6 Notre Dame, 3:30 -- almost no chance the Irish lose this one ... but that sets up unbeaten Notre Dame at unbeaten FSU next week
No. 3 Ole Miss at No. 14 Texas A&M, 9 pm -- good chance the Rebels go down -- A&M is actually a slight favorite
Southern Cal at No. 10 Arizona, 10.30 -- A tossup game -- the Trojans are erratic, but very, very talented

Then there is Duke at No. 22 Georgia Tech, 12:30 -- I'm biased on this one, but I think it's close to a tossup.

I guess the point is that at least four unbeaten will survive -- FSU, Notre Dame and the winners of the two unbeaten matchups. Probably 1 or 2 out of Ole Miss, Arizona and Georgia Tech make it ... so we get down to 5-6 unbeaten after this weekend.

PS Stayed up late last night to watch Fresno State at UNLV. I was hoping to see Brandon Connette in action -- he's played extensively in Fresno's previous three games. But he never played. Don't know if he was injured or not -- I never saw him on the sideline, although the announcers talked about his absence and never mentioned a reason. Great game anyway with Vegas winning 30-27 in overtime.

Wander
10-11-2014, 12:18 PM
I actually think UNC is a team capable of a big upset this season. Don't get me wrong, they are not a good team, but they score enough points (I think 4 of their 5 opponents have given up their highest point total of the season to UNC) that they're capable of winning a shootout or a game where their opponent stops themselves with turnovers (since UNC won't be stopping anyone themselves).

YmoBeThere
10-11-2014, 12:26 PM
UNC may score a lot of points and I'll confess that I haven't paid close attention but my recollection is that many of those points have been scored when the contest is over.

Also, given that we've lost something like 10 straight to GT, what makes this year different? If anything, I get the feel that they are better than last year and we are close but not as good.

YmoBeThere
10-11-2014, 05:00 PM
UNC may score a lot of points and I'll confess that I haven't paid close attention but my recollection is that many of those points have been scored when the contest is over.

Also, given that we've lost something like 10 straight to GT, what makes this year different? If anything, I get the feel that they are better than last year and we are close but not as good.

Happily, we made me the butthead with my comment. Unhappily, UNC may be doing the same thing.

Wander
10-11-2014, 05:05 PM
Did the UNC players skip the class about which way to run after catching a punt?

Olympic Fan
10-11-2014, 06:03 PM
great day so far ... BC up on NC State -- the game is in a weather delay early in the third quarter (with BC up 21-14 and threatening).

Big news in Death Valley -- DeShawn Watson knocked out of the game. Clemson up 14-10 at the half without an offensive touchdown. Cole Stout looks awful -- he totally mismanaged a first and goal at the Louisville one at the end of the half.

And UNC looks surprisingly good ... at least on offense.

But if you get the chance, tune in TCU-Baylor -- TCU up 31-27 at the half. It's an unbelievable game.

Duvall
10-11-2014, 07:26 PM
Notre Dame wins its trap game against a directional school in between the Stanford and Florida State games.

bbosbbos
10-11-2014, 07:34 PM
They will not be able to beat Free Shoes University as long as Mr Crab Leg is still playing.

Notre Dame wins its trap game against a directional school in between the Stanford and Florida State games.

Wander
10-11-2014, 07:56 PM
This TCU Baylor game is absurd. Between these guys and the Mississippi schools, what a cool season so far.

arnie
10-11-2014, 08:00 PM

Ha ha - and will always be directional.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-11-2014, 08:24 PM
I would love to see Mississippi State take on Florida State!

duketaylor
10-11-2014, 08:27 PM
Now getting late in the 3rd, Arkansas takes the lead on 'Bama!! Last two weeks of college fball have been amazing.

DU82
10-11-2014, 08:34 PM
By "only" beating Syracuse by 18, does FSU get passed by Miss. State?

Wander
10-11-2014, 08:55 PM
By "only" beating Syracuse by 18, does FSU get passed by Miss. State?

As of right now, Mississippi State has the most impressive resume. Ole Miss and Arizona would also have arguments if they win their games tonight. Forgetting preseason predictions entirely, these three all would deserve to be ahead of FSU... for now.

Olympic Fan
10-12-2014, 02:43 AM
Will there be more unbeaten fall? By my count:

No. 1 FSU at Syracuse, noon -- almost no chance the Seminoles lose this one. The loss of Terrell Hunt killed any chance for the Orange.
North Carolina at No. 6 Notre Dame, 3:30 -- almost no chance the Irish lose this one ... but that sets up unbeaten Notre Dame at unbeaten FSU next week
No. 3 Ole Miss at No. 14 Texas A&M, 9 pm -- good chance the Rebels go down -- A&M is actually a slight favorite
Southern Cal at No. 10 Arizona, 10.30 -- A tossup game -- the Trojans are erratic, but very, very talented

Then there is Duke at No. 22 Georgia Tech, 12:30 -- I'm biased on this one, but I think it's close to a tossup.

I guess the point is that at least four unbeaten will survive -- FSU, Notre Dame and the winners of the two unbeaten matchups. Probably 1 or 2 out of Ole Miss, Arizona and Georgia Tech make it ... so we get down to 5-6 unbeaten after this weekend.

Well, it's down to five -- Baylor rallied from 21 down with 11 minutes to play to beat TCU; Mississippi State whacks Auburn; Southern Cal tries their best to choke away the Arizona game, but gets out-choked by the Wildcats; and of course, Duke knocks off Georgia Tech.

I'd say at this point, the four playoff favorites are the two unbeaten Mississippi teams, this coming week's Notre Dame-FSU winner and Baylor.

But waiting in the wings is Alabama (which gets Mississippi State and Auburn at home), Auburn, Oregon and Oklahoma (which gets Baylor in Norman),.

Still alive, but needing a lot of help are Michigan State, Georgia and the FSU-Notre Dame loser.

Eliminated this week were UCLA, Penn State, Texas A&M and Georgia Tech.

Not quite as good a weekend as last week, but close -- the Baylor-TCU game was amazing (and I think the Frogs were screwed by two interference calls -- one that was not called on their fourth down try late and one that was called on Baylor's third and long late that set up the winning field goal. Of the two, the one that was not called was MUCH more blatant).

The Southern Cal-Arizona finish was amazing. SC is up 28-13 when they shut their offense down and go into safe mode. Arizona rallies and scores twice to make it 28-26 with a minute left. The two-point try is a bad throw, but Arizona gets another chance because SC is called for pass interference. On the second try, the QB keeps it up the middle and is stuffed. But, wait, Arizona recovers the on-sides kick? They get it down for a 35 yard field goal with seconds left, but their kicker misses the straight on field goal (his third miss of the game).

Amazing!

I saw one officiating issue today that bothered me -- not a judgment call, a technical call. At the end of the Alabama-Arkansas game, Alabama has a one-point lead and is trying to run out the clock. They face a 3rd and two near midfield ... the clock is running, Arkansas is out of time outs, and Bama is going to have to snap the ball with just under a minute left. But before they can snap it, they jump offsides. The refs enforce the five-yard markoff, put 25 seconds on the play clock -- which is correct -- but they also restart the game clock. Instead of being forced to run the third down play with a minute left -- which means if Arkansas gets the stop, they'll get the ball with 15 seconds or so, Alabama is able to wait until maybe 35-36 seconds are left to run the play ... then they don't make the first down, but the game clock runs out before they have to run a fourth down play.

That can't be right. You can't start the game clock in that situation after the offense commits a penalty. If that's the correct call, why does anybody ever give up the ball -- just keep committing penalties and left the clock run out.

Don't get me wrong. Best case scenario for Arkansas is to get the ball deep in their territory with 10-15 seconds left and no timeouts. They weren't going to pull it out anyway. Still I think the SEC refs blew it.

Wander
10-12-2014, 03:48 AM
This is very weird to me, but oddly enough, the timing thing IS a judgment call by the officials. The refs have the ability to circumvent the normal rules of whether the clocks stop or start when teams manipulate the clock to their advantage by, quoting from the rulebook, "tactics obviously unfair." I guess that language sort of implies that the false start had to be intentional, and it's what stops a team from false starting an entire half out once they get the lead... but I agree that it should have been employed here. Even if Alabama's false start was not intentional (though I wouldn't put it past Saban), this is a perfect example of the spirit that the rule is supposed to be used for.

Tons of teams still alive... it's hard to evaluate exactly given that we don't know what criteria the committee is going to use in their first year, but a little counter-intuitively, I think Georgia is actually in the best shape of any SEC team.

brevity
10-12-2014, 07:26 AM
Tons of teams still alive... it's hard to evaluate exactly given that we don't know what criteria the committee is going to use in their first year, but a little counter-intuitively, I think Georgia is actually in the best shape of any SEC team.

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought to look at the SEC from Georgia's perspective. Now that I have, I don't think I agree.

I would say that Georgia can breathe a little easier than any other SEC team. (Their toughest remaining road opponent is Arkansas next week; they face Auburn and Georgia Tech at home.) I would even say that Georgia is sitting prettiest for the best SEC bowl slot. But they pretty much have to win the SEC Championship to make the playoffs. Otherwise they fall behind the 2nd place SEC West team for playoff consideration, and possibly the 3rd place SEC West team as well.

I'd say at this point, the four playoff favorites are the two unbeaten Mississippi teams, this coming week's Notre Dame-FSU winner and Baylor.

The playoff picture became a lot clearer once Arizona lost.

It's midseason and you can already tell how likely 2 SEC (West?) teams will make a 4-team playoff. It should happen even if the Notre Dame-FSU winner and Baylor go undefeated. It's early, but I see only two scenarios in which a 1-loss SEC West team does not make the playoff:

1. There are three 1-loss SEC teams (SEC champ Georgia*, the SEC West champion, and the 2nd place SEC West team), and one of them gets left out.
2. The committee decides for political reasons that 4 different conferences should be represented in the inaugural event.

* Theoretically Georgia could lose to Georgia Tech, then win the SEC Championship and have an 11-2 record. The playoff committee would be under immense pressure to select them along with 12-1 Mississippi State, leaving out 11-1 Ole Miss.

uh_no
10-12-2014, 11:01 AM
after this week, duke and virginia own their own destinies in the coastal, which makes next week's matchup all the more interesting.

in terms of other games looking forward to next week, the important ones are

pitt VT and UNC GT

as much as i hate UNC, a win over GT gives us a little breathing room over them...as right now we have no room for error
personally i'm rooting for a pitt win, because i think VT is a stronger team, plus VT's schedule is slightly easier coming home

Wander
10-12-2014, 12:12 PM
Interesting. I wouldn't have thought to look at the SEC from Georgia's perspective. Now that I have, I don't think I agree.

I would say that Georgia can breathe a little easier than any other SEC team. (Their toughest remaining road opponent is Arkansas next week; they face Auburn and Georgia Tech at home.) I would even say that Georgia is sitting prettiest for the best SEC bowl slot. But they pretty much have to win the SEC Championship to make the playoffs. Otherwise they fall behind the 2nd place SEC West team for playoff consideration, and possibly the 3rd place SEC West team as well.

I agree with your analysis. Basically I think that the overall SEC champion and the SEC West champion make it in - maybe they're the same team, maybe not. If they're the same team, add another SEC west team. I'm sure we can come up with specific scenarios that violate those rules, but just as a guideline. Even with all that, I just think Georgia is more likely to win the entire SEC than any one given SEC west team is to win that division.

There are just so many teams alive we're not talking about. Arizona still has the best win of any team this season, and Kentucky controls its own destiny in the SEC east and gets Georgia at home. Now, maybe none of us believe Arizona or Kentucky are good enough to win out, but consider a few things from past BCS rankings (I know the BCS rankings aren't what's used here, but as a guideline):

1. Last year, the Big 10 sucked, but 1-loss Michigan State that didn't have a good non-conference win still finished in the top 4. I'd continue to argue they're still very much alive this year - definitely not a lock, but have a realistic chance.
2. A 1-loss SEC champion has never been left out of the top 4, and it won't happen this year. Georgia is in complete control of its own destiny and are a 100% lock to make the playoff if they win out.
3. 2-loss SEC teams have made the BCS top 4 on multiple occasions (including the top 2!). Given the ridiculous strength of the SEC west, it's entirely plausible that the division champion has 2 losses. Again, maybe none of us believe that LSU or Texas A&M are realistically capable of winning out - but if they somehow do, they're realistically in contention.

And you better believe that if Marshall is the only team that remains undefeated at the end of the season, there's going to be a big conversation about them.

sagegrouse
10-12-2014, 12:18 PM

The playoff picture became a lot clearer once Arizona lost.

It's midseason and you can already tell how likely 2 SEC (West?) teams will make a 4-team playoff. It should happen even if the Notre Dame-FSU winner and Baylor go undefeated. It's early, but I see only two scenarios in which a 1-loss SEC West team does not make the playoff:

1. There are three 1-loss SEC teams (SEC champ Georgia*, the SEC West champion, and the 2nd place SEC West team), and one of them gets left out.
2. The committee decides for political reasons that 4 different conferences should be represented in the inaugural event.

* Theoretically Georgia could lose to Georgia Tech, then win the SEC Championship and have an 11-2 record. The playoff committee would be under immense pressure to select them along with 12-1 Mississippi State, leaving out 11-1 Ole Miss.
Oh, my! Two SEC West teams "should" make the College Football Playoffs? If FSU goes undefeated and thereby gets one of the four spots, I doubt there will be two SEC teams in the CFP, much less two SEC West teams. The selection of two SEC teams would mean that two of the PAC-12, Big 12, and Big Ten champs would be excluded (plus Notre Dame), and that three of the four teams would be from a narrow geographical area, roughly a 500-mile line between Tallahassee and Oxford. Moreover, didn't the SEC's round-robin division schedule and championship game settle something?

If FSU somehow stumbles and falls out of consideration, then the SEC might get two teams, unless -- of course -- national favorite (and foil) Notre Dame goes undefeated. In a more formful year, the SEC might fare better -- politics aside -- but with have-nots Ole Miss and Mississippi State rising to the top of the heap, the SEC does not have the royal aura of past seasons.

It is possible, of course, that no SEC team will have fewer than two losses. (Watch our for Arkansas, boys!) Then, are there cases where the SEC would be excluded totally? Hmmm.... that would be fun!

Wander
10-12-2014, 12:49 PM
If FSU goes undefeated and thereby gets one of the four spots, I doubt there will be two SEC teams in the CFP, much less two SEC West teams.

Brevity is right. The exact scenario which you describe as being doubtful actually happened - last season! (Ok, there obviously wasn't a playoff, but Alabama and Auburn were ranked 2 and 3, and those rankings were not controversial)

I'm not an SEC fan, I'm always on the Marshall or Boise State or TCU bandwagon, and I get that the SEC hype machine can be obnoxious - but the SEC west division deserves every single piece of hype that's been thrown its way this year. We're halfway through the division and the entire division has no losses to teams outside the division. Zero! If you don't think that's insanely impressive, look at other divisions around the country and start calculating that stat for them. You're missing out if you're not enjoying following this division.

Olympic Fan
10-12-2014, 01:06 PM
after this week, duke and virginia own their own destinies in the coastal, which makes next week's matchup all the more interesting.

in terms of other games looking forward to next week, the important ones are

pitt VT and UNC GT

as much as i hate UNC, a win over GT gives us a little breathing room over them...as right now we have no room for error
personally i'm rooting for a pitt win, because i think VT is a stronger team, plus VT's schedule is slightly easier coming home

I agree with your analysis, but while it would be better for us if UNC and Pitt win, I doubt I'll be able to make myself pull for the cheaters. GT still has a game with Clemson (which got a lot easier with DeShawn Watson's broken finger). And the thing about Pitt -- I keep saying we could lose to anybody left on our schedule (except MAYBE Wake), but right now Pitt appears to be in freefall. Since they collapsed midway through their game with Iowa (which would have made them 4-0), then got spanked at home by Akron and at Virginia.

They had last week off and so far this year, at least a couple of teams have used an off-week to right their ship. Georgia Tech was much better after their off-week ... so was Duke. Will Piyy fix its problems or will VPI stomp them and continue their slide?

Of course, none of that matters if Duke takes care of business. Win out and it doesn't matter what any of those teams do.

PS One warning for next week. Virginia is coming off a week off -- they were playing very well before their break. Will they use it to get better or will they lose momentum?

BigWayne
10-12-2014, 01:50 PM
PS One warning for next week. Virginia is coming off a week off -- they were playing very well before their break. Will they use it to get better or will they lose momentum?

All that matters this week. One game at a time.

sagegrouse
10-12-2014, 01:55 PM
Brevity is right. The exact scenario which you describe as being doubtful actually happened - last season! (Ok, there obviously wasn't a playoff, but Alabama and Auburn were ranked 2 and 3, and those rankings were not controversial)

Sorry, you're "wandering" off the reservation. This is the first year of the College Football Playoffs. Also, the leaders of the SEC West are not Alabama and Auburn, but Ole Miss and Mississippi State, teams that haven't won anything in 50 years (State's last championship was the last year Duke went to the Rose Bowl). Alabama and Auburn will not both be top five teams, and neither might be.

I hope you don't mind indulging my fantasy that the SEC might get shut out of the Playoffs.

OldPhiKap
10-12-2014, 02:19 PM
I agree with your analysis, but while it would be better for us if UNC and Pitt win, I doubt I'll be able to make myself pull for the cheaters. GT still has a game with Clemson (which got a lot easier with DeShawn Watson's broken finger). And the thing about Pitt -- I keep saying we could lose to anybody left on our schedule (except MAYBE Wake), but right now Pitt appears to be in freefall. Since they collapsed midway through their game with Iowa (which would have made them 4-0), then got spanked at home by Akron and at Virginia.

They had last week off and so far this year, at least a couple of teams have used an off-week to right their ship. Georgia Tech was much better after their off-week ... so was Duke. Will Piyy fix its problems or will VPI stomp them and continue their slide?

Of course, none of that matters if Duke takes care of business. Win out and it doesn't matter what any of those teams do.

Virginia is the one conference team that we have sorta owned lately -- they will be focused and hungry. And they are better than the last few years too.

Sorry, you're "wandering" off the reservation. This is the first year of the College Football Playoffs. Also, the leaders of the SEC West are not Alabama and Auburn, but Ole Miss and Mississippi State, teams that haven't won anything in 50 years (State's last championship was the last year Duke went to the Rose Bowl). Alabama and Auburn will not both be top five teams, and neither might be.

I hope you don't mind indulging my fantasy that the SEC might get shut out of the Playoffs.

If there is no SEC team, it's only because they have beaten each other up. I think you could put the four best SEC teams up against the four best other teams in the country, and the games would all be great.

Wander
10-12-2014, 04:44 PM

Haha, indulge away, but there's an exact 0% chance of that happening, and probably something like a 50% chance the SEC gets more than one team.

ice-9
10-13-2014, 12:56 AM
Is the objective of the playoffs to find a champion, or to select the four best teams?

It's actually not the same thing.

If it's the former, you wouldn't need to take so many SEC teams -- just the best one.

If it's the latter, then sure, two SEC teams (or more) might be appropriate.

Does anyone know? Football newb here.

Duvall
10-13-2014, 01:02 AM
Is the objective of the playoffs to find a champion, or to select the four best teams?

If it's the former, you wouldn't need to take so many SEC teams -- just the best one.

The objective of the playoff is to create programming for ESPN.

I don't think anyone can say with any certainty what the playoff committee is likely to do, simply because it's the first year. The NCAA basketball selection committee have tendencies that can be gleaned from past decisions, as do the polls. But there's nothing here to help us guess what this committee will do.

BigWayne
10-13-2014, 02:25 AM

The behavior of ESPN, the rest of the press, and the people that set up the committee makes me think they are trying to be like the NCAA BB tourney committee and pick the best 4 teams. Just like the press has obsessed over who the best two teams are, they will now obsess over the best 4. Then they will obsess over the seeding of the 4.

There are many scenarios for the way the rest of the season falls that will put two SEC teams in the top 4. Looking back over the last few years of the BCS rankings, most years there were two teams from one conference in the top 4. It will not be surprising at all if it works out that way this year.

sagegrouse
10-13-2014, 07:06 AM

Here's the official scoop (http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/about-the-rankings). The committee is gonna vote for the best teams, yadda, yadda, yadda.

OldPhiKap
10-13-2014, 10:14 AM
USA Today:

"Biggest disappointments:

1. North Carolina. After tabbing UNC as a potential ACC and major-bowl contender -- again -- perhaps we've all learned our lesson."

Bwahaha.

Meanwhile, ESPN has us tabbed for the Belk Bowl at this point. Hard to believe that, if we win Saturday, we are bowl eligible for the third straight year.

budwom
10-13-2014, 11:28 AM
So this weekend I can (for once) be a big Paul Johnson fan as GT plays UNC. They should be aroused after the loss to us, which is good.

No reason to ever pull for unc...perhaps we can give them their seventh (and bowl ruining) loss in Durham, though if they lose their
seventh before then that's good, too.

FerryFor50
10-13-2014, 11:31 AM
so this weekend i can (for once) be a big paul johnson fan as gt plays unc. They should be aroused after the loss to us, which is good.

:p

FerryFor50
10-13-2014, 11:32 AM
USA Today:

1. North Carolina. After tabbing UNC as a potential ACC and major-bowl contender -- again -- perhaps we've all learned our lesson."

Bwahaha.

Meanwhile, ESPN has us tabbed for the Belk Bowl at this point. Hard to believe that, if we win Saturday, we are bowl eligible for the third straight year.

Harder to believe that Duke would be bowl eligible so EARLY in the season. Good time to be a Duke fan.

Bluedog
10-13-2014, 02:39 PM
I saw one officiating issue today that bothered me -- not a judgment call, a technical call. At the end of the Alabama-Arkansas game, Alabama has a one-point lead and is trying to run out the clock. They face a 3rd and two near midfield ... the clock is running, Arkansas is out of time outs, and Bama is going to have to snap the ball with just under a minute left. But before they can snap it, they jump offsides. The refs enforce the five-yard markoff, put 25 seconds on the play clock -- which is correct -- but they also restart the game clock. Instead of being forced to run the third down play with a minute left -- which means if Arkansas gets the stop, they'll get the ball with 15 seconds or so, Alabama is able to wait until maybe 35-36 seconds are left to run the play ... then they don't make the first down, but the game clock runs out before they have to run a fourth down play.

That can't be right. You can't start the game clock in that situation after the offense commits a penalty. If that's the correct call, why does anybody ever give up the ball -- just keep committing penalties and left the clock run out.

Don't get me wrong. Best case scenario for Arkansas is to get the ball deep in their territory with 10-15 seconds left and no timeouts. They weren't going to pull it out anyway. Still I think the SEC refs blew it.

This is very weird to me, but oddly enough, the timing thing IS a judgment call by the officials. The refs have the ability to circumvent the normal rules of whether the clocks stop or start when teams manipulate the clock to their advantage by, quoting from the rulebook, "tactics obviously unfair." I guess that language sort of implies that the false start had to be intentional, and it's what stops a team from false starting an entire half out once they get the lead... but I agree that it should have been employed here. Even if Alabama's false start was not intentional (though I wouldn't put it past Saban), this is a perfect example of the spirit that the rule is supposed to be used for.

SEC says the official made a mistake and clock should have stopped:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sec-alabama-arkansas-referee-mistakenly-ran-clock-153801520--ncaaf.html

Wander
10-13-2014, 02:47 PM
SEC says the official made a mistake and clock should have stopped:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sec-alabama-arkansas-referee-mistakenly-ran-clock-153801520--ncaaf.html

Oh, I completely agree with you and Oly that the officials messed up. I just think it's weird how the rules lay it out.

budwom
10-13-2014, 04:21 PM

:p

ha, bees are often aroused in their own, bee-like way...

jimsumner
10-13-2014, 06:43 PM
USA Today:

Bwahaha.

Phil Steele is projecting Duke to play Missouri in the Fiesta Bowl.

For what it's worth, which isn't much for mid-October. But Steele has been a bit dismissive of Duke this season. The win in Atlanta may have changed his mind.

OldPhiKap
10-13-2014, 06:56 PM

For what it's worth, which isn't much for mid-October. But Steele has been a bit dismissive of Duke this season. The win in Atlanta may have changed his mind.

Wow. Whodathunk.

I would be pleasantly surprised to finish that high. If i hypothetically pencil FSU and Clemson into two of the ACC New Year's bowls -- Fiesta would basically mean that we repeated as Coastal Champs but lost the title game. Orange means we won the title game (or lost to FSU but was selected aread of Clemson). If I understand such things, and to be honest never gave it much thought until last year before the Peach-fil-A selection.

An Arizona New Year's party works for me!

Bob Green
10-13-2014, 06:58 PM
Jeremy Cash was selected ACC Defensive Back of the Week:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209712937&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Cash received this week’s honor after helping Duke to a 31-25 upset road win at No. 22 Georgia Tech on Saturday. He tallied seven tackles, all solo, one interception, one fumble recovery and one pass breakup in the triumph.

Congratulations to #16!

OldPhiKap
10-13-2014, 07:03 PM
Jeremy Cash was selected ACC Defensive Back of the Week:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209712937&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Congratulations to #16!

Jeremy had a ridonkulous game Saturday, he was everywhere. Very well-deserved honor.

Bob Green
10-13-2014, 07:14 PM

Perhaps my eyeballs are crooked or something, but I see the Duke, Missouri projection being for the Belk Bowl not the Fiesta:

https://www.philsteele.com/bowls/14-15/bowlprojections.html

BigWayne
10-13-2014, 09:08 PM
Perhaps my eyeballs are crooked or something, but I see the Duke, Missouri projection being for the Belk Bowl not the Fiesta:

https://www.philsteele.com/bowls/14-15/bowlprojections.html

You are correct sir!

To get to the Fiesta Bowl this year is virtually impossible. We have an actual unlikely chance at the Orange Bowl by winning the ACC title game. Fiesta Bowl would require we win every game except the ACC champ game and a whole lot of other teams, especially Clemson, lose multiple games.

Newton_14
10-13-2014, 09:40 PM
You are correct sir!

To get to the Fiesta Bowl this year is virtually impossible. We have an actual unlikely chance at the Orange Bowl by winning the ACC title game. Fiesta Bowl would require we win every game except the ACC champ game and a whole lot of other teams, especially Clemson, lose multiple games.

I would gladly take the Chic-Fil-A Bowl over the Fiesta anyway. So for me, the big prizes are either Orange Bowl or Chic-Fil-A. With FSU potentially losing Winston, it's not impossible to dream of the Orange, and winning the Coastal is certainly not a dream. It's doable if we play ball to our capabilities.

devildeac
10-13-2014, 11:09 PM
Jeremy had a ridonkulous game Saturday, he was everywhere. Very well-deserved honor.

I heard his name so much I thought he was twins:o.

devildeac
10-13-2014, 11:10 PM
I would gladly take the Chic-Fil-A Bowl over the Fiesta anyway. So for me, the big prizes are either Orange Bowl or Chic-Fil-A. With FSU potentially losing Winston, it's not impossible to dream of the Orange, and winning the Coastal is certainly not a dream. It's doable if we play ball to our capabilities.

Atlanta was a helluva lot of fun for several days around the Chik-Fil-A Bowl last year.

OldPhiKap
10-13-2014, 11:13 PM
Atlanta was a helluva lot of fun for several days around the Chik-Fil-A Bowl last year.

I can personally attest that, at least through halftime, dd was smiles for miles.

BigWayne
10-14-2014, 03:53 AM

Peach Bowl and Fiesta Bowl are equally unlikely. Peach Bowl is a top six bowl now and no longer associated with the ACC. We can get to the Orange by winning the ACC champ game, or by winning all the way up to that game if Clemson and Louisville drop another game or two. To get to the Peach or Fiesta, we need to win out and then lose the ACC champ game to FSU. Have FSU not make the playoff, either because they lost to ND, or they just get voted out in favor of teams from the SEC and Big12. Then we need Clemson, Louisville, and a bunch of Big Ten and PAC12 teams to have 3 losses so that only one team from those conferences makes the top 12.

Bob Green
10-14-2014, 05:17 AM
After the Orange Bowl, the next bowl game is the Russell Athletic Bowl in Orlando. Here is the line-up (I copied this from a post at The Devils Den):

College Football Playoff (if applicable) – Location TBD - 1/1/15
Orange Bowl – ACC Winner or Runner-up (if CFP) vs. SEC/B1G/ND (likely SEC or ND this year) – Miami, FL - 12/31/14
Russell Athletic Bowl – ACC #2 vs. Big 12 (assumes conditional Capital One Bowl will not trigger this year) – Orlando, FL – 12/29/14
Belk – ACC #3/4/5/6 vs. SEC – Charlotte, NC - 12/30/14
New Era Pinstripe – ACC #3/4/5/6 vs. B1G – Bronx, NY – 12/27/14
Hyundai Sun – ACC #3/4/5/6 vs. Pac 12 – El Paso, TX – 12/27/14
Music City or Tax Slayer Bowl – ACC #3/4/5/6 vs. SEC – Nashville, TN or Jacksonville, FL, 12/30/14 or 1/2/15
Military – ACC #7/8/9 vs. American – Annapolis, MD– 12/27/14
Duck Commander Independence – ACC #7/8/9 vs. SEC – Shreveport, LA – 12/27/14
Quick Lane Bowl – ACC #7/8/9 vs. B1G – Detroit, MI – 12/26/14
BITCOIN St. Petersburg – ACC #10 vs. American – St. Petersburg, FL – 12/26/14
Birmingham Bowl – ACC #11 (Conditional) – Birmingham, AL – 1/3/15

While I'd love to see the team in the Orange Bowl or Russell Athletic Bowl because I desire to see the players on the team rewarded for all their hard work and efforts, as a fan, I would be satisfied to see us in any of the #3/4/5/6 bowl games. Any of the Belk Bowl, Pinstripe Bowl, Sun Bowl or Music City Bowl games would be enjoyable.

BigWayne
10-14-2014, 03:43 PM
After the Orange Bowl, the next bowl game is the Russell Athletic Bowl in Orlando. Here is the line-up (I copied this from a post at The Devils Den):

While I'd love to see the team in the Orange Bowl or Russell Athletic Bowl because I desire to see the players on the team rewarded for all their hard work and efforts, as a fan, I would be satisfied to see us in any of the #3/4/5/6 bowl games. Any of the Belk Bowl, Pinstripe Bowl, Sun Bowl or Music City Bowl games would be enjoyable.

Thanks for that list. I was looking for it, but the ACC hasn't published it in one spot that I could find. One more thing on the list. Capital One Bowl is changing names back to Citrus Bowl because Capital One is now affiliated with the Orange Bowl.

Olympic Fan
10-14-2014, 05:42 PM
W-a-a-y too early to get carried away, but allow me to suggest that the Orange Bowl, while still a longshot, is not a crazy goal at this point. Keep in mind that the ACC will have one of the two teams. For Duke to get the third Orange Bowl in its history:

(1) FSU needs to get in the four-team playoff
(2) Duke needs to establish itself as the second-best ACC team.

How does that happen? Well, right now, I think we'd all agree that Clemson is the frontrunner for the No. 2 spot and the Orange Bowl (which is what happened last year). But I think the loss of DeShawn Watson is a big blow. They are 4-2 at the moment and have games with Georgia Tech and South Carolina that they could lose with Cole Stout at QB. Louisville has lost twice already and still has games with FSU and Notre Dame. Miami has lost three times and still has FSU coming up. Virginia Tech has lost twice and they still have to play us.

The only way Duke gets in the Orange picture is to beat Virginia Tech -- and everybody else in the regular season. With a 11-1 regular season and a respectable loss to FSU in the ACC title game, I would think Duke is a very viable candidate for the Orange. I think that in that scenario, Duke would be the second highest ranked ACC team.

Again, that's a long way off and a lot has to break our way ... mostly, we have to prove we're as good as we hope we are. But I do think Watson's injury may have an impact -- Clemson is far less formidable without him at QB.

Tappan Zee Devil
10-14-2014, 08:48 PM
W-a-a-y too early to get carried away, but allow me to suggest that the Orange Bowl, while still a longshot, is not a crazy goal at this point. Keep in mind that the ACC will have one of the two teams. For Duke to get the third Orange Bowl in its history:

(1) FSU needs to get in the four-team playoff
(2) Duke needs to establish itself as the second-best ACC team.

How does that happen? Well, right now, I think we'd all agree that Clemson is the frontrunner for the No. 2 spot and the Orange Bowl (which is what happened last year). But I think the loss of DeShawn Watson is a big blow. They are 4-2 at the moment and have games with Georgia Tech and South Carolina that they could lose with Cole Stout at QB. Louisville has lost twice already and still has games with FSU and Notre Dame. Miami has lost three times and still has FSU coming up. Virginia Tech has lost twice and they still have to play us.

The only way Duke gets in the Orange picture is to beat Virginia Tech -- and everybody else in the regular season. With a 11-1 regular season and a respectable loss to FSU in the ACC title game, I would think Duke is a very viable candidate for the Orange. I think that in that scenario, Duke would be the second highest ranked ACC team.

Again, that's a long way off and a lot has to break our way ... mostly, we have to prove we're as good as we hope we are. But I do think Watson's injury may have an impact -- Clemson is far less formidable without him at QB.

Yeah - let's just start by beating Virginia and then we can move on from there.

uh_no
10-14-2014, 11:49 PM
Yeah - let's just start by beating Virginia and then we can move on from there.

it's a fan board. we have the luxury of peeking ahead and thinking big. I mean, maybe we should be analyzing virginia game film like the team is doing this week, but lets be honest, we ain't the sharpest bulbs in the shed!

so go duke! lets make the playoffs!