PDA

View Full Version : As if you needed another reason to despise Danny Green.

WeepingThomasHill
10-08-2014, 02:06 PM
Making Holocaust jokes...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/danny-green-apologizes-for--lol--caption-on-holocaust-selfie-he-took-during-spurs--trip-to-berlin-164431193.html

weezie
10-08-2014, 02:19 PM
Yah, well, y'know he's got "respect n understanding" so it'll be fine.
At least he didn't break into a dance routine.

HaveFunExpectToWin
10-08-2014, 04:12 PM
It should be obvious that there are places one should not take a selfie, yet #holocaust and #funeral exist. This jaded Gen Xer just doesn't get it.

Duke3517
10-08-2014, 07:43 PM
One of the most underrated players to ever play for UNC.

FerryFor50
10-08-2014, 09:00 PM
There's something you don't see every day... an uneducated Carolina basketball player.

DBFAN
10-09-2014, 08:40 AM
Ugh, as much as I wanna bust the chops of all the UNC fans, Danny Ferry isn't winning any humanitarian awards either

Ultrarunner
10-09-2014, 11:01 AM
At the risk of losing all my sporks and being forced to eat with my hands, I can think of a lot more things to get worked up about other than Danny Green. Say, fanatics that kidnap young girls to use as sex slaves on their way to making another youtube about the need to sharpen one's blade properly before the next beheading, or a police officer lobbing a flash bang grenade into a crib.

It looks as though he understood the full import of the history in his initial twitter reaction. Goofing on FB? Yeah, tasteless. Happens, especially to the young. The problem apparently was not the selfie (which I personally consider dumb but the younger folks, narcissistic as they are, disagree) but the caption. Put on an approved caption, get heralded. Put on one that some ninny can take offense to - and these days, that's everything - and you're to be despised.

It's beginning to feel like a Monty Python skit every time I read the paper or log onto the internet. Personally, I blaming Keith Olbermann for popularizing false outrage. If you feel real outrage, figure out how you going to help stop the next Holocaust or volunteer to help some Ebola victims. It should (but does not always) add perspective.

Just my opinion, of course. Feel free to swipe the sporks.

Ima Facultiwyfe
10-09-2014, 11:04 AM
At the risk of losing all my sporks and being forced to eat with my hands, I can think of a lot more things to get worked up about other than Danny Green. Say, fanatics that kidnap young girls to use as sex slaves on their way to making another youtube about the need to sharpen one's blade properly before the next beheading, or a police officer lobbing a flash bang grenade into a crib.

It looks as though he understood the full import of the history in his initial twitter reaction. Goofing on FB? Yeah, tasteless. Happens, especially to the young. The problem apparently was not the selfie (which I personally consider dumb but the younger folks, narcissistic as they are, disagree) but the caption. Put on an approved caption, get heralded. Put on one that some ninny can take offense to - and these days, that's everything - and you're to be despised.

It's beginning to feel like a Monty Python skit every time I read the paper or log onto the internet. Personally, I blaming Keith Olbermann for popularizing false outrage. If you feel real outrage, figure out how you going to help stop the next Holocaust or volunteer to help some Ebola victims. It should (but does not always) add perspective.

Just my opinion, of course. Feel free to swipe the sporks.

I don't know how to spork. So let me just say "Bless your heart."
Love, Ima

weezie
10-09-2014, 11:09 AM
.... If you feel real outrage, figure out how you going to help stop the next Holocaust or volunteer to help some Ebola victims.

Or even more urgently, go to the fundraiser thread for Shaquille Powell's little brother and donate a few bucks.

Come on you people!

"A fund raiser to help Shaquille Powell's family"

Ultrarunner
10-09-2014, 11:14 AM
Or even more urgently, go to the fundraiser thread for Shaquille Powell's little brother and donate a few bucks.

Come on you people!

"A fund raiser to help Shaquille Powell's family"

This thread here? http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?34300-A-fund-raiser-to-help-Shaquille-Powell-s-family

I can do that.

weezie
10-09-2014, 11:16 AM
This thread here? http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?34300-A-fund-raiser-to-help-Shaquille-Powell-s-family

I can do that.

Good man/woman/person!!!
Thanks ultie!

WeepingThomasHill
10-09-2014, 11:57 AM
Don't think I ever said that the Danny Green photo/caption was more important than ISIS or other world problems. Was just pointing it out as yet another example of an insufferable UNC player. If you want to equate that post with so-called "false outrage", I guess you can do that. If people didn't call Green out for his tasteless and insulting photo caption, people would think that such behavior is ok.

But go ahead - call me a ninny for speaking up about a topic that you deem immaterial. Sheesh. I'll go back to finding a cure for Ebola.

FerryFor50
10-09-2014, 12:09 PM
Don't think I ever said that the Danny Green photo/caption was more important than ISIS or other world problems. Was just pointing it out as yet another example of an insufferable UNC player. If you want to equate that post with so-called "false outrage", I guess you can do that. If people didn't call Green out for his tasteless and insulting photo caption, people would think that such behavior is ok.

But go ahead - call me a ninny for speaking up about a topic that you deem immaterial. Sheesh. I'll go back to finding a cure for Ebola.

So, is "using ISIS as a comparison" the new "using Hitler as a comparison"? Because it sure feels that way.

Wheat/"/"/"
10-09-2014, 01:43 PM
It was a stupid comment that he immediately attempted to walk back as soon as he realized how insensitive it came across.

He apologized several times right after the tweet that I've seen. I bet he thinks a little more before the next time, as he should.

Being a former UNC basketball player hasn't got anything to do with it.

This whole selfie generation has yet to grasp some of the serious consequences that can occur from a random, not very well considered comment to public social media.

I see this sort of thing all the time, unfortunately.

Reisen
10-09-2014, 01:49 PM
Similar to how I feel about Danny Ferry, he made a mistake. He apologized for it.

I tend to favor one's alma mater a little more than the other's, but I think both should be forgiven and move on. If it was a pattern or something, I might feel differently, but everyone puts their foot in their mouth once in a while.

OldPhiKap
10-09-2014, 02:02 PM
It was a stupid comment that he immediately attempted to walk back as soon as he realized how insensitive it came across.

He apologized several times right after the tweet that I've seen. I bet he thinks a little more before the next time, as he should.

This whole selfie generation has yet to grasp some of the serious consequences that can occur from a random, not very well considered comment to public social media.

This.

I have plenty of reasons to dislike Danny Green. This was either immature or insensitive, but I seriously doubt there was any bad intent -- just unfortunate context.

BD80
10-09-2014, 02:27 PM
... I bet he thinks a little more before the next time, as he should.

Being a former UNC basketball player hasn't got anything to do with it. ...

Depending on how "little" improvement you are betting on, I'll take that bet.

Being a former unc player has a lot to do with it. It is an element of his "fame," and the ego-stroke that is posting a selfie on social media. LOL

In contrast, Ferry's comments were made in a private business context, and not intended to be published. FWIW: the comments were someone else's evaluation that he repeated in a discussion regarding the decision to offer Luol millions of dollars.

lotusland
10-09-2014, 02:36 PM
Depending on how "little" improvement you are betting on, I'll take that bet.

Being a former unc player has a lot to do with it. It is an element of his "fame," and the ego-stroke that is posting a selfie on social media. LOL

In contrast, Ferry's comments were made in a private business context, and not intended to be published. FWIW: the comments were someone else's evaluation that he repeated in a discussion regarding the decision to offer Luol millions of dollars.

Intent and context do not matter. Anytime someone gets their panties in a wad over something you said or did, you are guilty of being insensitive and racist/xenophobic. It's inconceivable that the offended person is being a little hyper-sensitive. Danny Green needs to go on Oprah or Dr. Phil with some Holocaust survivors to apologize and cry then disappear for a few weeks of sensitivity therapy.

HK Dukie
10-10-2014, 12:28 AM
The "lol" from green seemed directed at himself rather than the holocaust.

Almost like he was making an aside that yes here comes another selfie of me.

The most minor of stories to me.

moonpie23
10-10-2014, 08:23 AM

sometimes, we agree.....this is one of them....

El_Diablo
10-10-2014, 02:37 PM
I think most people would agree that it's just an unfortunate juxtaposition rather than a genuine attempt to make light of the Holocaust. That said, will it stop me from ribbing my UNC friends and coworkers about it? Absolutely not. If I have to listen to incessant, irrational smack talk about Duke, its players and its coach from UNC alumni and fans, then I will absolutely add this arrow to my quiver. It is good to have fresh material to supplement the Fats and football hazing and "losing to the Providence Storm" and "rampant institutionalized academic fraud" talking points. And can anyone confirm that Danny Green didn't kick a puppy after posting that selfie? I think that potential aspect needs to be carefully considered before we put this story to bed.

rthomas
10-10-2014, 04:10 PM
I'll go back to finding a cure for Ebola.

It's OK for you to make light of Ebola, but damn Danny Green for making light of the Holocaust.

lotusland
10-10-2014, 07:51 PM
I think most people would agree that it's just an unfortunate juxtaposition rather than a genuine attempt to make light of the Holocaust. That said, will it stop me from ribbing my UNC friends and coworkers about it? Absolutely not. If I have to listen to incessant, irrational smack talk about Duke, its players and its coach from UNC alumni and fans, then I will absolutely add this arrow to my quiver. It is good to have fresh material to supplement the Fats and football hazing and "losing to the Providence Storm" and "rampant institutionalized academic fraud" talking points. And can anyone confirm that Danny Green didn't kick a puppy after posting that selfie? I think that potential aspect needs to be carefully considered before we put this story to bed.

I've seen no evidence to indicate that he wasn't clubbing baby seals either. Probably smoking marijuana and bad mouthing his country too.

DBFAN
10-10-2014, 08:49 PM
I'm sure everyone did, but I'm hoping we all realize he wrote lol, because of the way he had his hat on. Please tell me I'm not the only one to notice it

Edouble
10-11-2014, 01:26 AM
I've seen no evidence to indicate that he wasn't clubbing baby seals either. Probably smoking marijuana and bad mouthing his country too.

Yeah, but none of that stuff is illegal in Germany. In fact, it's encouraged.