PDA

View Full Version : The best kind of US map -- one where UNC fans don't exist (NYT)

Duke05
10-03-2014, 01:56 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/03/upshot/ncaa-football-fan-map.html

Sadly, the NYT posted the following:
Facebook has a discovered a coding error with its data for North Carolina, and we expect to have corrected data soon.

But at least for a limited time, you can click around their interactive map and see not a single UNC fan anywhere. And error aside, the analysis is pretty cool.

ChillinDuke
10-03-2014, 02:05 PM

But at least for a limited time, you can click around their interactive map and see not a single UNC fan anywhere. And error aside, the analysis is pretty cool.

Even sadder is that this is the most fun I've had all day. I've been going around North Carolina for 2 minutes now...

I... can't... stop...

- Chillin

El_Diablo
10-03-2014, 02:06 PM
Large parts of Alaska should be colored Duke blue as well, but the map made the state entirely green (for Oregon).

EDIT: Probably just another coding error. Duke shows up as the top team for five Alaska boroughs/counties, but the individual ZIP codes don't seem to have any Duke fans listed.

mattman91
10-03-2014, 02:37 PM
Utopia.

Tom B.
10-03-2014, 04:59 PM

It appears to be fixed now, as the whole state is a nauseating shade of light blue except for a little island of red around Raleigh.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/03/upshot/ncaa-football-map.html

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

I'd have thought that Clemson and South Carolina would be more evenly distributed in SC. Both schools have big fanbases that are spread throughout SC, but this makes it look like the Gamecocks dominate the State while all the Clemson fans huddle in one corner.

DukieInKansas
10-03-2014, 05:02 PM
It appears to be fixed now, as the whole state is a nauseating shade of light blue except for a little island of red around Raleigh.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/03/upshot/ncaa-football-map.html

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Kansas looks a bit more accurate now - before the area around Manhattan was blue for KU and it is now correctly depicted as purple. It was a bit odd for a while to see Bill Snyder Family Stadium in the middle of blue instead of purple.

Son of Jarhead
10-04-2014, 01:30 PM
I would expect the area around Greenville, NC to be ECU purple, and for the many rural areas in eastern NC with plenty of NC State ag school grads to be tinted red. And, come on, Duke has it's own zip code... that, at least, should be Duke Blue.

Also, for part of my mom's (aka. "The Czar of Housing") home state of Vermont to be tinted unc gak-blue is just wrong. I wonder... if I get all my cousins to "like" Duke, maybe we can turn the Green Mountain State a beautiful Duke Blue.

I'm guessing they still have some data issues, or else the methodology is just off... I mean, are they counting fb "likes" of just a school's official football team page, or it's athletic fan pages, or the university in general? Looking at Virginia, I'd guess the likes are football specific with VT football so much more popular/traditionally better than UVA football. However, for North Carolina, unc football is not that popular when compared to ECU, NC State, or, even up in the Boone area, App State. If all athletics or the university in general are used, I could see unc gak-blue dominating the state, but I would also expect a better showing by UVA in Virginia too. In the end, fun stuff for fans to discuss, but really, just meaningless.

uh_no
10-04-2014, 02:57 PM
I would expect the area around Greenville, NC to be ECU purple, and for the many rural areas in eastern NC with plenty of NC State ag school grads to be tinted red. And, come on, Duke has it's own zip code... that, at least, should be Duke Blue.

Also, for part of my mom's (aka. "The Czar of Housing") home state of Vermont to be tinted unc gak-blue is just wrong. I wonder... if I get all my cousins to "like" Duke, maybe we can turn the Green Mountain State a beautiful Duke Blue.

I'm guessing they still have some data issues, or else the methodology is just off... I mean, are they counting fb "likes" of just a school's official football team page, or it's athletic fan pages, or the university in general? Looking at Virginia, I'd guess the likes are football specific with VT football so much more popular/traditionally better than UVA football. However, for North Carolina, unc football is not that popular when compared to ECU, NC State, or, even up in the Boone area, App State. If all athletics or the university in general are used, I could see unc gak-blue dominating the state, but I would also expect a better showing by UVA in Virginia too. In the end, fun stuff for fans to discuss, but really, just meaningless.

yes, but it doesn't have many permanent residents....

Son of Jarhead
10-04-2014, 03:23 PM
yes, but it doesn't have many permanent residents....

IDK... is permanence of residency really a factor? :confused:

But that brings to mind this question: How does Facebook determine what zipcode to attribute to a particular person and their "like"?

uh_no
10-05-2014, 09:54 AM
IDK... is permanence of residency really a factor? :confused:

But that brings to mind this question: How does Facebook determine what zipcode to attribute to a particular person and their "like"?

well, they were using facebook likes...and i'm betting most people don't have their addresses, so they were likely using certain IP data to estimate zip code. Since 27708 is "special" in that it exists to serve a large organization, rather than a residential block, it's likely that their algorithms don't take the special case into account. further, for the same reason, the zipcode doesn't have any geographic area (it just represents "duke mail," it won't show up on the map anyway.

So perhaps I was not as precise as I could have been. It's not the lack of population, per se, but the special nature of the 27708 zipcode (one property of which is the lack of residents) likely lead to the votes of duke students and employees to be distributed to another surrounding zipcode

miramar
10-06-2014, 02:42 PM
They had a link to a Time Magazine article with a picture of a guy we all know. No, not the skinny guy in front.

http://time.com/3468764/joe-clancy-secret-service/

Henderson
10-06-2014, 04:47 PM
They had a link to a Time Magazine article with a picture of a guy we all know. No, not the skinny guy in front.

http://time.com/3468764/joe-clancy-secret-service/

My question: Why is Gilbert Arenas hiding behind that tree in center-left of the photo? Is he still ticked off about 2001?

throatybeard
10-06-2014, 11:21 PM
well, they were using facebook likes...and i'm betting most people don't have their addresses, so they were likely using certain IP data to estimate zip code. Since 27708 is "special" in that it exists to serve a large organization, rather than a residential block, it's likely that their algorithms don't take the special case into account. further, for the same reason, the zipcode doesn't have any geographic area (it just represents "duke mail," it won't show up on the map anyway.

So perhaps I was not as precise as I could have been. It's not the lack of population, per se, but the special nature of the 27708 zipcode (one property of which is the lack of residents) likely lead to the votes of duke students and employees to be distributed to another surrounding zipcode

So, therefore, 27705, probably.

PackMan97
10-07-2014, 12:42 PM

Regarding State vs UNC and Clemson vs USC...it's simple. Size, Age and Influence.

In both cases UNC and USC have a HUGE head start, to the tune of about 100 years in both cases. Don't underestimate this advantage.

There is also the case where both UNC and USC graduate the most educators in each state (especially going back before the existing college boom) and this infects the next generation due to brain washing from their teachers.

Everyone likes a winner. UNC has so many fans because they win. USC has so many fans because Clemson doesn't win all that much. Not to mention USC is centrally located. Tough to influence a state from the back end of a state vs the capital.

Enrollment. UNC has until recently always been a much larger school than State, USC to this day still trounces Clemson in entrollment.

I could go on, but come on at least State defended Wake County...you guys.../smh

devildeac
10-07-2014, 12:51 PM
Regarding State vs UNC and Clemson vs USC...it's simple. Size, Age and Influence.

In both cases UNC and USC have a HUGE head start, to the tune of about 100 years in both cases. Don't underestimate this advantage.

There is also the case where both UNC and USC graduate the most educators in each state (especially going back before the existing college boom) and this infects the next generation due to brain washing from their teachers.

Everyone likes a winner. UNC has so many fans because they win. USC has so many fans because Clemson doesn't win all that much. Not to mention USC is centrally located. Tough to influence a state from the back end of a state vs the capital.

Enrollment. UNC has until recently always been a much larger school than State, USC to this day still trounces Clemson in entrollment .

I could go on, but come on at least State defended Wake County...you guys.../smh

Wonder if PackMan97 reads USC and Clemson fan bulletin boards and knows something we don't. (heh-heh) Might be one of the best typos ever;).

Duvall
10-07-2014, 01:05 PM

Er, what? South Carolina and winning are not concepts that have often been linked historically. And the state's small enough that I doubt geography is much of a factor.

sagegrouse
10-07-2014, 06:20 PM
Er, what? South Carolina and winning are not concepts that have often been linked historically. And the state's small enough that I doubt geography is much of a factor.

Historically, Clemson has had much better football than South Carolina. E.g., USC has two conference championships, one in the ACC (1969) and one in SoCon (1933), and one SEC division title under Spurrier, although the Gamecocks were independents for 20 years. Clemson has 18 conference championships, 14 in the ACC. I expect the "likes" or votes or whatever are a "recency" phenomenon, based mostly on the past few years, with Spurrier on the sidelines and victories over Clemson nearly every year.

Similarly, Duke seems to be ranked second to UNC in North Carolina outside of the Raleigh area (although the gap between 1 and 2 is big). I really think this is the last couple of years under Cutcliffe, not long ago memories of Duke football as "it used to be."